Y&R Re Victor giving away the bride.

Barbara Mersereau

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

re Y&R Cricket's Choice to give her away.

As I recall, she has a perfectly good stepfather, John Abbot. Guess she
forgot about him. What a weird choice!

oracle

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

In article <4ttbbi$4...@wankel.name.net>,
Not only that, but she forgot about her REAL father, who seems to
be wasting away somewhere in the Void Of Lost Y&R characters.

Luv,
Oracle

AnitaM1061

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

I don't see why a businesswoman of the 90s wants to be "given away" in the
first place--that custom goes back to the days when daughters were thought
of as their father's property until they were married and "given away" to
their husband!
.
.
Anita Louise McCormick
Author of "Shortwave Radio Listening for Beginners"and "The Shortwave
Listener's Q and A Book," TAB/McGraw-Hill, publisher.

Donald Hart

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

In article <4ttbbi$4...@wankel.name.net> Barbara Mersereau <bmers...@name.net> writes:
>From: Barbara Mersereau <bmers...@name.net>
>Subject: Y&R Re Victor giving away the bride.
>Date: 2 Aug 1996 16:45:38 GMT

>re Y&R Cricket's Choice to give her away.

>As I recall, she has a perfectly good stepfather, John Abbot. Guess she
>forgot about him. What a weird choice!

John Abbot? Have I forgotten a storyline?

end
--
Internet: don...@in.net
"Out of the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T-1.

Kim DMC

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

>I don't see why a businesswoman of the 90s wants to be "given away" in
the
>first place--that custom goes back to the days when daughters were
thought
>of as their father's property until they were married and "given away" to
>their husband!

Oh please~!! Any girl who had a dad as wonderful as mine would never miss
the opportunity to have her "Daddy" see her down the isle--business woman
of the 90's or not!

KJ

8>

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

In <4ttbbi$4...@wankel.name.net> Barbara Mersereau <bmers...@name.net>
writes:

>re Y&R Cricket's Choice to give her away.
>
>As I recall, she has a perfectly good stepfather, John Abbot. Guess
she
>forgot about him. What a weird choice!

So did I. There is so much cross breeding that it's hard to keep track.

paul kuchta

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

don...@in.net (Donald Hart) wrote:
>In article <4ttbbi$4...@wankel.name.net> Barbara Mersereau <bmers...@name.net> writes:
>>From: Barbara Mersereau <bmers...@name.net>
>>Subject: Y&R Re Victor giving away the bride.
>>Date: 2 Aug 1996 16:45:38 GMT
>
>>re Y&R Cricket's Choice to give her away.
>
>>As I recall, she has a perfectly good stepfather, John Abbot. Guess she
>>forgot about him. What a weird choice!
>
>John Abbot? Have I forgotten a storyline?

You probably forgot that Crickets mother, who died of AIDS,
was married to John Abbott for a short period of time.

Christy

Y&R - Mr. Lynn

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

Barbara Mersereau wrote:

> re Y&R Cricket's Choice to give her away.
>
> As I recall, she has a perfectly good stepfather, John Abbot. Guess she
> forgot about him. What a weird choice!

Victor has more the style i want to see. John Abbot is Mr. Perfect. Make
Y&R part of your name.

Linda Tremaine Shipley

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

Another tacky marriage custom (IMHO), is that of approx. 98%
brides today wearing wedding rings. That is a tradition dating
way back, that meant the wedding ring was a symbol of a woman's
bondage to a man. Bondage means slavery, as in being someone
else's property. Seems to me too that sometimes men feel
pressured to spend more on them than they can propertly afford.

The modern day meaning is still much the same as a warning
symbol to other males that you already belong to a man as his
property. As a modern day woman, I have not worn a wedding
ring since I do not wish to be seen as someone else's property.

Do you not think it odd that most men do not wear wedding
rings?

I also laugh at the marriage vows, that proclaim the bride
and groom as "man" and wife, like you need a minister or
other offical to pronounce you a man. I like Husband and Wife
better and think that more appropiate.

The old custom of Honeymoons sounds cute though, dating
back to when men stole their wives from the next village and
hid them out til the coast was clear.

mart...@silverlink.net

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

I was wondering why the Bug needed to be "given away" myself...and Victor of all people. Also,
why is Mary insisting she wear a "white" dress? If she is going by protocol and being given
away, she certainly doesn't need to wear a white dress, the RED thing would be more apropriate.
I am new to the net and am excited to see this Y&R group. Been watching Y&R since inception
and I have been holding a lot of comments in...so excuse me if you see me popping up all over..

alice

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

Another nice choice would be to have Paul's dad Carl Williams give Bug
away.
Its sweet that the couple shares this trait: both Paul and Bug have
fathers who have been sucked into the black hole and who remain taboo
topics of conversation...
Alice

Barbara Mersereau

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96
to pku...@salsgiver.com

Thanks, but no, i didn't forget. I just meant that John is a lot more
of a connection for her than a virtual stranger-potential lover to give
away a bride. He was at least a sort of father, even if only briefly.
And givings-away of the bride are usually done by a father or stand-in
for one. I just thought it was another weird example of not using the
logical choice, just to spice up the story a bit---which I admit badly
needs a lot of spicing up.

BARTRAM116

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

In article <4tubj3$i...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, anita...@aol.com
(AnitaM1061) writes:

>I don't see why a businesswoman of the 90s wants to be "given away" in
the
>first place--that custom goes back to the days when daughters were
thought
>of as their father's property until they were married and "given away" to
>their husband!

Probably another plot device to get Nikki's goat--or maybe Victoria's...We
all know what a hard time Nikki and her "children" have whenever Vic pays
any attention to anyone but them.

Next plot: Vicki and Bug vie for the affections of Daddy Vic? Gotta love
those dysfunctional Newmans and their extended family.

Brenda Crowley

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

Barbara Mersereau (bmers...@name.net) wrote: : re Y&R Cricket's Choice

to give her away. : : As I recall, she has a perfectly good stepfather,
John Abbot. Guess she : forgot about him. What a weird choice!

Never mind the stepfather...she has a perfectly good FATHER in Jim
Granger!!! Anyone who's been watching the show for a few years can't
forget all the time spent on the Bug's search for: first her
mother...then her father and so on and so on!! That was when it stopped
being the Y&R show...changing to the Cristine Blair Show, and it doesn't
look like things are going to improve. All I can say is thank God for
VCR's and the fast-forward button!!

--
Brenda Marie Crowley email address
Computing and Communication Services bcro...@uoguelph.ca

Mike and Pat Keeler

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

In article <4tudjn$j...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, kim...@aol.com (Kim DMC) wrote:
>>I don't see why a businesswoman of the 90s wants to be "given away" in
>the
>>first place--that custom goes back to the days when daughters were
>thought
>>of as their father's property until they were married and "given away" to
>>their husband!
>
>Oh please~!! Any girl who had a dad as wonderful as mine would never miss
>the opportunity to have her "Daddy" see her down the isle--business woman
>of the 90's or not!
>
>KJ
Cricket was already "given away" to Danny. She's not exactly a blushing bride
anymore.

PK

Nmcvaugh

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

" Cricket was 'given' away to Danny....."

why did that make me think of the old adage
"you get what you pay for"?

:-).

Donald Hart

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

In article <4u91b7$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> nmcv...@aol.com (Nmcvaugh) writes:
>From: nmcv...@aol.com (Nmcvaugh)
>Subject: Re: Y&R Re Victor giving away the bride.
>Date: 6 Aug 1996 23:08:23 -0400

> :-).

I'd pay for it for a couple of days. Christine's not that bad.

Jamie Doris

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

I had no idea that John was Chris's step-father, which goes to show *why*
she had Victor to give her away. When was the last time you saw John and
Chris in the stroyline?
--
;*) ,
Jamie

paulette

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

Sometimes a career woman, especially who's been married
previously, might prefer to be given away by a close friend
instead of her father. Nothing wrong with that. Obviously,
Chris and Victor have become comfidants and she has (apparently)
looked upon him as a father figure. Perhaps at this time in her
life she felt closer to him than to her father or stepfather.

Laura Fenn

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

In article <4ucsla$f...@bigjohn.bmi.net> paulette <aup...@bmi.net> writes:

>Sometimes a career woman, especially who's been married
>previously, might prefer to be given away by a close friend
>instead of her father.

...or not be given away at all. She's not a piece of property, just changing
hands!

Laura.

Cynthia G. Bird

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

paulette <aup...@bmi.net> writes:

> Sometimes a career woman, especially who's been married
> previously, might prefer to be given away by a close friend
> instead of her father.

Gee, in that case why didn't she just ask Danny to give her away. She
could have worn the red dress and it would have been sort of like
seeing the changing of the guard at Buckingham palace.