Original casting call for STTNG

Michael Ardai

Apr 15, 1990, 9:08:30 PM4/15/90
My brother found this while cleaning out some files... It is dated 3/17/87

To: All talent representatives
RE: Paramount
"Star Trek: The Next Generation"
1-Hr series for syncication
2-Hr TV movie to start June 1
24 1-Hr episodes to start end of July

Please resubmit for the following roles. New york and Chicago submissions
are encouraged.
Please be advised that there are no scripts available. Actors may look at
sides[sic] in the casting office only.

Seeking the following regulars:

Captain Julian Picard: A Caucasian man in his 50's who is very youthful and
in prime physical condition. Born in Paris, his Gallic accent appears only
when deep emotions are triggered. He is definitely a 'romantic' and believes
strongly in concepts like honor and duty. Captain Picard commands the
Enterprise. He should have a mid-Atlantic accent, and a wonderfully rich
speaking voice...

Number One (AKA William Ryker): A 30-35 year old Caucasian born in Alaska.
He is a pleasant looking man with sex appeal, of medium height, very agile and
strong, a natural psychologist. Number One, as he usually is called, is
second in command of the Enterprise and has a very strong, solid relationship
with the Captain...

Lt. Commander Data: He is an android who has the appearance of a man in his
mid 30's. Data should have exotic features and can be any one of the following
racial groups: Asian, American Indian, East Indian, South American Indian or
similar racial groups. He is in perfect physical condition and should appear
very intelligent...

Lt. Tanya Hernandez: 26 year old woman of Ukraniandescent who serves as the
starship's security chief. She is described as having a new quality of
conditioned-body beauty, a fire in her eyes and muscularly well developed and
very female body, but keeping in mind that much of her strength comes from
attitude. Tanya has an almost obsessive devotion to protecting the ship and
its crew and treats Capt. Picard and Number One as if they were saints...

Lt. Deanna Troi: An alien woman who is tall (5'8" - 6') and slender. about 30
years old and quite beautiful. She serves as the starship's Chief
Psychologist. Deanna is probably foreign (anywhere from Italian, Greek,
Hungarian, Russian, Icelandic, etc.) with looks and accent to match. She and
Number One are romantically involved. Her alien 'look' is still to be
determined...

Wesley Crusher: A small 18 (or almost 18) year old boy to play 15, his
remarkable mind and photographic memory make it seem not unlikely for him to
become, at 15, a Star Fleet Acting Ensign. Wesley is more of an intense (not
cute) teenager whose energy comes from an inquisitive nature...

Beverly Crusher: Wesley's 35 year old mother. She serves as the chief medical
officer on the starship. If it were not for her intelligence, personality,
beauty, and the fact that she has the natural walk of a striptease queen,
Capt. Picard might not have agreed to her request that Wesley observe bridge
activities; therefore letting her son's intelligence carry events further...

Lt. Geordi LaForge: A 20-25 year old black man, blind form birth. With the help
of a special prosthetic device he wears, his vision far surpasses anything the
human eye can see. Although he is young, he is quite mature and is best
friends with Data. Please do not submit any 'street' types, as Geordi has
perfect diction and might even have a Jamaican accent. Should also do comdey
well...

All typos are my own, but the names at least are as they appear.
/mike
\|/ Michael L. Ardai ar...@bu-pub.bu.edu
--- ---------------------------------------------------------------
/|\ ...!sun!teda!maven.dnet!ardai (preferred)

Lance A. Sibley

Apr 16, 1990, 1:55:51 AM4/16/90
In article <55...@bu.edu.bu.edu>, ar...@bass.bu.edu (Michael Ardai) wrote:
>My brother found this while cleaning out some files... It is dated 3/17/87
>
>To: All talent representatives
>RE: Paramount
> "Star Trek: The Next Generation"
> 1-Hr series for syncication
> 2-Hr TV movie to start June 1
> 24 1-Hr episodes to start end of July

I found a couple of interesting things in here I thought I might point
out...

>Captain Julian Picard: A Caucasian man in his 50's who is very youthful and
>in prime physical condition. Born in Paris, his Gallic accent appears only
>when deep emotions are triggered. He is definitely a 'romantic' and believes
>strongly in concepts like honor and duty. Captain Picard commands the
>Enterprise. He should have a mid-Atlantic accent, and a wonderfully rich

^^^^^^^^^^^^
>speaking voice...

I knew the name was originally supposed to be Julian, and I know he was
originally supposed to be French-Canadian (so this must have been a
second draft), but I don't think English counts as "Mid-Atlantic"...
(despite the fact that Great Britain *does* have an Atlantic coastline!)

>Lt. Tanya Hernandez: 26 year old woman of Ukraniandescent who serves as the

Last time I checked, "Hernandez" was *not* a Ukrainian name... :-) I
remember hearing somewhere that they changed her name from the Hispanic
"Hernandez" to avoid comparison with a similar character in the movie
"Aliens". No flames if this is incorrect please, as I haven't even
*seen* Aliens; I'm just repeating what I heard.

>Lt. Deanna Troi: An alien woman who is tall (5'8" - 6') and slender. about 30

^^^^^^^^^^^
They sure missed the boat on this one...

>Wesley Crusher: A small 18 (or almost 18) year old boy to play 15, his

^^

>Beverly Crusher: Wesley's 35 year old mother. She serves as the chief medical

^^^^^^^^^^^

If she had Wesley at age 20, when did she find time to get her M.D.??!!?

I note with interest that even at the casting stage, they hadn't developed
the character of Worf...

I find it interesting to see how much the original perceptions of the
characters change as they're cast and the actors bring little touches
to the characters they're playing. I'll bet that "tea, Earl Grey, hot"
probably came from Stewart's own tea-drinking habits (we English can't
get past 4 pm without our tea, don'tcha know... :-) ).

--
Lance A. Sibley "Americans know as much about Canada as straight people do
U. of Waterloo about gays. Americans arrive at the border with skis in

Ryan D Mathews

Apr 16, 1990, 3:16:43 AM4/16/90
In article <1990Apr16.0...@watcsc.waterloo.edu>,

bo...@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Lance A. Sibley) writes:
> I note with interest that even at the casting stage, they hadn't developed
> the character of Worf...
> Lance A. Sibley

Oh, I knew about that. As I understand it, Worf was thrown in at the
last moment because some people complained that there was no-one on the
bridge who really "looked" alien. (Apparently Data's pale skin and
Troi's black eyes don't count.) That's why it was rather late into the
season before Worf was used in any significant way.

---------- Ryan Mathews

Internet : mat...@cs.buffalo.edu
Bitnet : mathews%cs.buffalo.edu@ubvm
UUCP :{apple,cornell,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,talcott,ucbvax,uunet}!
cs.buffalo.edu!mathews