2014 Ships of the Line

jack....@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2013, 3:53:19 PM11/9/13
There was concern that it wouldn't get published this year. The announcement that it would also allayed a concern I didn't know we had; that the thirteen pages would be a "Best of..." taken from the previous thirteen calendars! So we do get 14 compositions not used in the calendar before. We also get 5 ships not seen in the calendar before; unfortunately, they are 5 ships not seen in Trek before.

Cover: A Klingon cruiser, that "held together with spit and baling wire" version that I don't think has appeared on any show, but is still recognizably Klingon. This is Douglas E. Graves own version, which he has previously used with his "TOS.5" model of a slightly more complex Constitution-class Enterprise.

Jan: The refit Enterprise in drydock. Some type of shuttle streaks by starboard, one of the wedge-front shuttles is off the port - under the monthly grid. Also another drydock for a Miranda-class. We didn't see her during the TMP tour, so the Miranda may have launched before the refit Constitution class, or this scene could be around the time of The Wrath of Khan.

Feb: Doug Drexler does his best to help sell the new model kit of the NX-refit with a scene featuring her and a sister ship of the old configuration fighting Romulan ships over an M-class planet.

Nov: He (with Ali Ries) does the "NX Bound for Refit", I'd want to do a careful examination before saying there are no subtle changes here from the TV version.

Mar: On the small picture on the back this looks like the Space Shuttle firing on a Starfleet space station. At full size the beam is obviously a tractor from a Starfleet shuttlecraft towing her along. The Shuttle is wrapped in bracing, maybe so it doesn't fall apart in the tractor beam like the F-104 did. The shuttlecraft is similarly braced around the tractor emitter.
This is not the same station that all the Enterprises were clustered around in a previous year's calendar; I now get the idea that several of these displays are scattered about the galaxy as tourist traps. I'm not going to check the accuracy of the Space Shuttle as an "Enterprise", but I do note it is placed to hide the question of whether the E-B is a refitted or unrefitted Excelsior, which was a fault of the previous picture.

Apr: The Reliant approaching Regula 1, both lit by red light reflected by the Mutara Nebula.
Hung in landscape format, the Reliant is listing a bit to port. If you want, you can turn the calendar to "portrait mode," making the ship appear to heel over more on her starboard side. This makes the station sit sideways; you can choose to view it as the Orbital Office or Regula 1.

May: "Geophysical Sortie" by John Eaves, so this must be a painting. He loves the Enterprise-E. Here she is in an aft view, with the main point of interest being the secondary hull shuttlebay, and what appear to be new types of shuttlecraft inside. The Argo and a sister shuttle fly by.

Dec: The Enterprise-E flies towards us in CGI from Alain Rivard.

June: On first glance, I smile and say, "Belknap!" On second glance, I see this ship has the primary hull of a Knox-class frigate. On third glance, (actually, it was pointed out to me,) it has landing platforms outside the shuttlebays, so it's a combination of the Knox and the Daran-class frigate (which lacks the Knox's megaphaser fins). No question in my mind that they use (or -noblesse oblige- honor) Todd Guenther's ships, but did they accidently come up with a configuration similar to one in Starfleet Dynamics, which freely borrowed (or -I could say- acknowledged) the Belknap and Knox, and which combined the two like this for what was called an Athabaska-class strike cruiser?

centerfold: The Enterprise-J, the underside, to complement the topside view of an earlier year.

July: NCC-76890, I can't make out the name (on the shuttlebay landing apron), the ship itself appears to be a variation on the Galaxy-class. The main differences are the engines (and their attachment pylons) and the primary hull. The shuttlebay deck, instead of running into an oval-shaped rise from the saucer surface, runs forward to a T-shape formed by arcs. (It looks like the surface of the saucer becomes a depression between the arms of the T, or am I seeing things?) The bridge island decks are more stepped, continually stepping down along the spine to the shuttlebay and down to the impulse engine. The artist, Dan Uyeno, did the December 2013 NCC-1755, and February 2012 Balmung and Mughi.

Aug: "The Battle of Hell's Mouth" The Repulse NCC-75000, which looks like a more angular Sovereign, is fighting what I can only hope is an intruder from another dimension. Hang this picture sideways, and it does indeed look like the Repulse will be dragged down into the Netherworld. D.M. Phoenix gave us the Sovereignish "Allegiance" in April of 2012 and the "United Starship" Phalanx September '13.

Sep: Ah! Deep Space Nine, as seen from between the rings of the station, with the Rio Grande sweeping past us departing from its pad. DS9 is a city in space (well, at least a mining town of the "Ancient West") we really should get more views along the streets, and not always from the outskirts.

Oct: Mark Rademaker, who'd been designing future Starfleet vessels since 2008, loans his skill to a future of present-day physicist Harold "Sonny" White. The title, "Mars in One Minute Twenty-Five Seconds" suggests at least 4 times lightspeed. The design itself looks like a less advanced version of the ringship Enterprise. I wish it had been the centerfold so the space of the monthly grid could have been given over to more text about it.
A pre-Trek ship, I'm going to enforce the idea that "there is no up or down in space" and hang it in each of the four orientations for about a week each. Looking at it "upside down" I see things I didn't before.

Franchise scorecard:
TOS 1
TMP 2+1
TNG 1
DS9 1
TGF 2
ENT 5

I generally don't assign the new ships from after-production to any franchise: are they from after TNG, DS9, VOY, or The Generations Films? I'm awfully tempted to credit the Belknap to The Motion Pictures, which is the real world era it came from. However, I can see an argument made that nothing is established until it is on screen, and that this could be a "ship-bash" product of the Dominion Wars. I might respond that the desperate ship-bashing during wartime was not established onscreen, but that may lead me to revealing my heresy that the barely-glimpsed ships on screen may not have looked exactly like the models made to project their impression. So, I have simply made the data easily extractable.

Wow. I'm not sure ST:ENT has gotten this much calendrical love since it was in production. Back then I tried to believe it was the excitement of playing with the new designs, and not pushing the product. Despite my joke about the new model kit, it is easier to believe here.

Lone Browncoat

Nov 24, 2013, 2:12:55 AM11/24/13
jack....@gmail.com wrote in

Well, I wasn't happy with the 2013 version, so i didn't order it,
getting my fix instead from the deviantart website but may take a look
at the 2014.

jack....@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2013, 11:05:42 AM11/28/13
It is possible to find images as good on deviantart or computer modeling fora.

In fact, I'm not sure you couldn't find some of these images, or approximations. I'd googled D.M. Phoenix's 2013 picture of the good ship Phalanx, and there were other views, and I think deg's TOS.5 was "discovered" online.

Lone Browncoat

Mar 10, 2014, 6:26:36 PM3/10/14
jack....@gmail.com wrote in
Yes, I've given up since it is no longer the original publisher [Andrew
Weeks?], hell I can't remember but i found a nice blending of the
Probert Enterprise with the JJ Abrams that uses cylinders rather than
the wedge and fishtail engines that I'm using for wallpaper that I
think is even better than the Khomerprise[did i spell that kid's name
right?].

I can't make out the artists's signature, though it doesn't show on
the desktop.