1970s Movie Marathon

Joseph Nebus

Apr 21, 2012, 12:32:33 AM4/21/12

So, Saturday night starting at 8 pm Eastern, the (US) feed of
Turner Classic Movies is going to do a marathon of what might as well
be the must-see science fiction films of the 70s, 'Star Trek' and
'The Black Hole' excluded. The lineup:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Rollerball

Logan's Run

Westworld

Soylent Green

I suppose there are some who might fault one or two omissions,
but, we can certainly agree there's nothing to argue about with that
roster of films.

Besides, we missed the Joe E Brown baseball trilogy earlier
this week.

--
http://nebusresearch.wordpress.com/ Joseph Nebus
Current Entry: Something I Didn't Know About Trapezoids http://wp.me/p1RYhY-bV

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 21, 2012, 12:41:11 AM4/21/12
In article <jmtd91$bgg$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
Joseph Nebus <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote:

> So, Saturday night starting at 8 pm Eastern, the (US) feed of
>Turner Classic Movies is going to do a marathon of what might as well
>be the must-see science fiction films of the 70s, 'Star Trek' and
>'The Black Hole' excluded. The lineup:
>
> Close Encounters of the Third Kind
>
> Rollerball
>
> Logan's Run
>
> Westworld
>
> Soylent Green
>

> I suppose there are some who might fault one or two omissions,
>but, we can certainly agree there's nothing to argue about with that
>roster of films.

These aren't the movies you're looking for.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

tphile2

Apr 21, 2012, 4:58:54 AM4/21/12
On Apr 20, 11:41 pm, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
wrote:
> In article <jmtd91$bg...@reader1.panix.com>,
You're gonna need a bigger bowl of popcorn

tphile2

Apr 21, 2012, 4:56:53 AM4/21/12
On Apr 20, 11:32 pm, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
>         So, Saturday night starting at 8 pm Eastern, the (US) feed of
> Turner Classic Movies is going to do a marathon of what might as well
> be the must-see science fiction films of the 70s, 'Star Trek' and
> 'The Black Hole' excluded.  The lineup:
>
>         Close Encounters of the Third Kind
>
>         Rollerball
>
>         Logan's Run
>
>         Westworld
>
>         Soylent Green
>
>         I suppose there are some who might fault one or two omissions,
> but, we can certainly agree there's nothing to argue about with that
> roster of films.
>
>         Besides, we missed the Joe E Brown baseball trilogy earlier
> this week.
>
> --http://nebusresearch.wordpress.com/                            Joseph Nebus
> Current Entry: Something I Didn't Know About Trapezoidshttp://wp.me/p1RYhY-bV
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­---

TCM can always be counted on to provide a great lineup of entertaining
shows and if you miss something they will eventually show it again.
Including Joe E Brown.
Especially the weekends, very early Saturday morning shows of SF and
Horror, right now, The Green Slime. Later a Tarzan or Bomba movie,
Boston Blackie, western or detective movie.
Last week for spring break we have had a week long marathon of Beach
Party and Ski Party movies. to satisfy all you Eric Von Zipper fans.

Robert Carnegie

Apr 21, 2012, 8:34:03 AM4/21/12
_Silent Running_, _Dark Star_, and _Barbarella_.
Which is 1968, but I don't see anyone complaining.
Can I ask again: the computer voice in English
seems to be uncredited, is it the actor
Kenneth Williams? I suppose it'd be in his
famous diaries.

Then there's _Demon Seed_, _Moonraker_, and
_Alien_.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 21, 2012, 1:31:11 PM4/21/12
In article <27661252.1648.1335011643698.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbuo17>,
I thought the namecheck of "The Black Hole" and "Star Trek" (along with the
pointed absence of Star Wars and The Planet of the Apes and the
"nothing to argue about") meant the OP was pointing out how lame the list
was.

If you want a "good" list of 70s films, it has to have SW and TPM,
probably The Andromeda Strain and Young Frankenstein. I would agree
with Alien (haven't seen Demon Seed). _Moonraker_ is an ambivalent
one. The first two times I saw it, I thought it was awesome. The
third time, I thought it was the longest movie ever made. _Life
of Brian_ (remember the SF scene?) is a similar case. Fell out of
my seat the first two times, but the third time, knowing all the
jokes, was tedious. (I suspect it's been long enough that I might
like it again now).

Kip Williams

Apr 21, 2012, 1:50:07 PM4/21/12
Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> If you want a "good" list of 70s films, it has to have SW and TPM,

Let's see. That's not THE PHANTOM MENACE. I searched and made a
good-faith effort to figure it out myself. Now tell me what TPM is so I
can feel like an idiot.

Kip W
rasfw

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Apr 21, 2012, 2:19:42 PM4/21/12
On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 13:50:07 -0400, Kip Williams <mrk...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Oh, good - not just me!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
'The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human
mind to correlate all its contents' - H.P.Lovecraft, "The Call of Cthulhu"

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 21, 2012, 2:28:22 PM4/21/12
In article <jrCkr.51703$T5.1...@newsfe13.iad>,
Nope, I'm the idiot. That was supposed to be TPA which really should be
TPOTA. I have no idea why it came out TPM (which if you asked me, I
would probably render as Talking Points Memorandum..). Furthermore,
_The Planet Of The Apes_ came out in 1968, so I was all around wrong putting
it in a 70s post anyway. I did quite enjoy the 70s followups in the
series though..

Dorothy J Heydt

Apr 21, 2012, 2:48:49 PM4/21/12
In article <9vgci6...@mid.individual.net>,
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:

>Furthermore,
>_The Planet Of The Apes_ came out in 1968, so I was all around wrong putting
>it in a 70s post anyway. I did quite enjoy the 70s followups in the
>series though..

I only saw the first one, in the company of a friend who, in the
scene where the humans are running around naked, looked very
carefully and said in disappointment, "Oh, they're wearing [term
equivalent to 'fig leaves']." Well, she was a woman of the
world....

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Kip Williams

Apr 21, 2012, 3:53:45 PM4/21/12
Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article<jrCkr.51703$T5.1...@newsfe13.iad>,
> Kip Williams<mrk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ted Nolan<tednolan> wrote:
>>> If you want a "good" list of 70s films, it has to have SW and TPM,
>>
>> Let's see. That's not THE PHANTOM MENACE. I searched and made a
>> good-faith effort to figure it out myself. Now tell me what TPM is so I
>> can feel like an idiot.
>
> Nope, I'm the idiot. That was supposed to be TPA which really should be
> TPOTA. I have no idea why it came out TPM (which if you asked me, I
> would probably render as Talking Points Memorandum..).

I might have, but not as a movie. Thanks for the clarification. I'd
already ruled out THE PRINCESS MONKEY.

Kip W
rasfw

Kip Williams

Apr 21, 2012, 3:54:14 PM4/21/12
Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article<jrCkr.51703$T5.1...@newsfe13.iad>,
> Kip Williams<mrk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ted Nolan<tednolan> wrote:
>>> If you want a "good" list of 70s films, it has to have SW and TPM,
>>
>> Let's see. That's not THE PHANTOM MENACE. I searched and made a
>> good-faith effort to figure it out myself. Now tell me what TPM is so I
>> can feel like an idiot.
>
> Nope, I'm the idiot. That was supposed to be TPA which really should be
> TPOTA. I have no idea why it came out TPM (which if you asked me, I
> would probably render as Talking Points Memorandum..).

Robert Carnegie

Apr 21, 2012, 5:36:17 PM4/21/12
On Saturday, April 21, 2012 6:31:11 PM UTC+1, Ted Nolan &lt;tednolan&gt; wrote:
> In article <27661252.1648.1335011643698.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbuo17>,
> Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
> >_Silent Running_, _Dark Star_, and _Barbarella_.
> >Which is 1968, but I don't see anyone complaining.
> >Can I ask again: the computer voice in English
> >seems to be uncredited, is it the actor
> >Kenneth Williams? I suppose it'd be in his
> >famous diaries.
> >
> >Then there's _Demon Seed_, _Moonraker_, and
> >_Alien_.
>
> I thought the namecheck of "The Black Hole" and "Star Trek" (along with the
> pointed absence of Star Wars and The Planet of the Apes and the
> "nothing to argue about") meant the OP was pointing out how lame the list
> was.

Well, think of it as "Important science fiction
films that TCM doesn't have to pay /way/ too much
for to buy and show, for, to, well, you get what
I'm saying."

> If you want a "good" list of 70s films, it has to have SW and TPM,
> probably The Andromeda Strain and Young Frankenstein. I would agree
> with Alien (haven't seen Demon Seed). _Moonraker_ is an ambivalent
> one. The first two times I saw it, I thought it was awesome. The
> third time, I thought it was the longest movie ever made.

Some of these, I'm kidding. _Moonraker_, it
depends how you feel about Space Shuttles,
Roger Moore, and how they /always/ end the
film (at least his ones) with a Very Important
Person ready to congratulate James Bond when
James is busy celebrating with his (surviving)
leading lady. At least this one was in freefall.
Come to think, wasn't _The Fifth Element_'s, also?

jonathan

Apr 21, 2012, 5:59:40 PM4/21/12

"Joseph Nebus" <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote in message

> So, Saturday night starting at 8 pm Eastern, the (US) feed of
> Turner Classic Movies is going to do a marathon of what might as well
> be the must-see science fiction films of the 70s, 'Star Trek' and
> 'The Black Hole' excluded. The lineup:
>
> Close Encounters of the Third Kind
>
> Rollerball
>
> Logan's Run
>
> Westworld
>
> Soylent Green

Well, I'll be watching the soon to be classic on SYFY
...Alien Tornado! Or is it Space Twister? I forget.

I got hooked on cheap sci-fi after watching
...MegaCrocaSharkaSaurusCat5

William December Starr

Apr 21, 2012, 6:59:31 PM4/21/12
In article <M2uEx...@kithrup.com>,
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) said:

[ re the Planet of the Apes movies of the 1960s/70s ]

> I only saw the first one, in the company of a friend who, in the
> scene where the humans are running around naked, looked very
> carefully and said in disappointment, "Oh, they're wearing [term
> equivalent to 'fig leaves']." Well, she was a woman of the
> world....

Do you forget what precise term she used, or are you censoring it
from the anecdote?

-- wds

William December Starr

Apr 21, 2012, 7:01:00 PM4/21/12
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> said:

> Then there's _Demon Seed_, _Moonraker_, and
> _Alien_.

_Moonraker_ was not a science-fiction film. _Moonraker_ was
an error.

-- wds

art...@yahoo.com

Apr 21, 2012, 6:30:51 PM4/21/12
On Apr 21, 12:32 am, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
>         So, Saturday night starting at 8 pm Eastern, the (US) feed of
> Turner Classic Movies is going to do a marathon of what might as well
> be the must-see science fiction films of the 70s, 'Star Trek' and
> 'The Black Hole' excluded.  The lineup:
>
>         Close Encounters of the Third Kind
>
>         Rollerball
>
>         Logan's Run
>
>         Westworld
>
>         Soylent Green
>
>         I suppose there are some who might fault one or two omissions,
> but, we can certainly agree there's nothing to argue about with that
> roster of films.

Dunno about the rest, but Soylent Green did not age very well.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 21, 2012, 8:08:18 PM4/21/12
In article <jmve7c$qtb$1...@panix3.panix.com>,
I've said it didn't stand up to many repeats, but at the time it was
released, it was probably exactly what the year required, QE3 and
Nasa/Vasser jokes included.

jonathan

Apr 22, 2012, 5:06:44 AM4/22/12

<art...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Dunno about the rest, but Soylent Green did not age very well.

I'm watching it right now, I didn't realize that global
warming was the source for the grim future and food
shortages portrayed in the movie.

.
Sol: You know. When I was a kid food was food.
Before our scientific magicians poisoned the water,
polluted the soil. Decimated plant and animal life.
Why, in my day you could buy meat anywhere.
Eggs, they had. Real butter. Fresh lettuce...

Det.Thorn: I know. Sol. You told me before. A heat wave
all year long. A greenhouse effect. Everything is
burning up.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

jack...@bright.net

Apr 22, 2012, 5:59:56 AM4/22/12
I had written, to little response* in the r.a.sf.movies group:

'70s sf, a decade I believe can be described
with the sports reporters' phrase, "a tale of two halves." Actually,
it would be "a tale of the first three quarters and the last quarter,"
but that's a mouthful for a sports reporter, and -to be fair- they are
likely referring to the halftime break for regrouping and adjusting
that games have and decades don't.

Movies from the early part of the decade seemed dedicated to pointing
out how much the present sucked. On the sf front, it seemed the only
thing worse than the present is the future. To alliterate: Stepford
Wives, Smog Monster, Soylent Green, Silent Running. The most
optimistic of the bunch may have been Colossus: The Forbin Project.
Mankind may lose control of the Earth to our silicon creation, but at
least we are safe from nuclear destruction. Losing it to simians did
not give that guarantee, as Beneath the Planet of the Apes showed.

Not quite 75% into the '70s was the one-two punch of Star Wars and
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (with, arguably, Superman: The
Movie as the cementing blow) which separate what came after from what
came before.

(On the literary side, my impression of the early '70s can be summed
up in two words: John Brunner. That may be unfair, _Total Eclipse_
did not make me feel like I should kill myself now.)

If TCM did air Star Wars (a project made difficult by their insistence
on showing a 1977 print (which I hope and believe they would insist
on)) a companion "road to Star Wars" set of '70s movies would be
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (it is said the Wookiee in
McQuarries artwork reminded 20th Century Fox of their successful
series), Dark Star, Silent Running, and Lucas's own THX-1138. The TV
series Space: 1999 had effects Lucas admired, and technicians he would
later hire, but TCM is dedicating itself only to theatricals, so not
even the cobbled-together two-episode movies would get a showing.

--
-Jack

* None

--
-Jack

Robert Carnegie

Apr 22, 2012, 7:47:37 AM4/22/12
On Sunday, April 22, 2012 10:59:56 AM UTC+1, jack...@bright.net wrote:
> Movies from the early part of the decade seemed dedicated to pointing
> out how much the present sucked. On the sf front, it seemed the only
> thing worse than the present is the future. To alliterate: Stepford
> Wives, Smog Monster, Soylent Green, Silent Running. The most
> optimistic of the bunch may have been Colossus: The Forbin Project.
> Mankind may lose control of the Earth to our silicon creation, but at
> least we are safe from nuclear destruction. Losing it to simians did
> not give that guarantee, as Beneath the Planet of the Apes showed.

Hmm. Better add _The Stepford Wives_ to the
"Mst see" catalogue. Or "Must read the novel
synopsis on Wikipedia", anyway.

Smog Monster eats pollution, we should have
hired him!

BCFD36

Apr 22, 2012, 1:07:29 PM4/22/12
I am surprised (or maybe I missed it) that no one mentioned The Omega
Man or Charlie. I'm guessing Omega Man hasn't aged well, but Charlie
probably has. And since a few reached back into the '60s, 2001, but that
might be a little too far back as would Fantastic Voyage. But anything
with Raquel Welch in a skin tight suit should be mentioned just to
mention it.

--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 22, 2012, 2:17:28 PM4/22/12
In article <brk7p79nn85pnol2n...@4ax.com>,
I had a similar reaction when I first saw "Star Wars"

http://columbiaclosings.com/wordpress/?p=150

it was a great change from the 70s "why should a movie be fun?"
esthetic.

Brunner is an interesting case. His early stuff, like _Polymath_
(and whatever the first version was called) is very entertaining and
not at all grim. Even something like 1972's _The Dramaturges of Yan_,
while it had some 70s tropes and things starting to come adrift had
a competent, if hands-off, Earth in the background like a benevolent
"grandmother". Then the same year, came _The Sheep Look Up_ and
in 74 _Total Eclipse_. *THEN*, just one year later, in 75, the upbeat
_Shockwave Rider_. I kind of lost track of him later, but the last
book of his I recall, something about trying to figure out what happened
to a race of crab people, if a little odd, was not particularly
gouge-your-eyes-out grim.

Larry

Apr 22, 2012, 2:50:03 PM4/22/12
In article <9vg96v...@mid.individual.net>, t...@loft.tnolan.com says...

> If you want a "good" list of 70s films, it has to have SW and TPM,
> probably The Andromeda Strain and Young Frankenstein.

The Andromeda Strain has not aged well. I saw it in first run, and it scared
the crap out of me. I saw it again in the 21st century, and it was a yawner.

Larry

Apr 22, 2012, 2:50:04 PM4/22/12
In article <jmtd91$bgg$1...@reader1.panix.com>, nebusj-@-rpi-.edu says...
> So, Saturday night starting at 8 pm Eastern, the (US) feed of
> Turner Classic Movies is going to do a marathon of what might as well
> be the must-see science fiction films of the 70s, 'Star Trek' and
> 'The Black Hole' excluded. The lineup:
>
> Close Encounters of the Third Kind
>
> Rollerball
>
> Logan's Run
>
> Westworld
>
> Soylent Green

The Black Hole stunk.

No one has mentioned A Clockwork Orange.

William December Starr

Apr 22, 2012, 5:31:28 PM4/22/12
In article <9vj09o...@mid.individual.net>,
t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) said:

> Brunner is an interesting case. His early stuff, like _Polymath_
> (and whatever the first version was called)

_Castaways' World_, according to the ISFDB. Though if I understand
the ISFDB's formatting correctly it indicates that only the title
changed, not that the 1963 and 1974 novels had any text differences.

> is very entertaining and not at all grim.

-- wds

William December Starr

Apr 22, 2012, 5:33:21 PM4/22/12
In article <jn1dse$d67$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
BCFD36 <bcf...@cruzio.com> said:

> I am surprised (or maybe I missed it) that no one mentioned The Omega
> Man or Charlie. I'm guessing Omega Man hasn't aged well, but Charlie
> probably has.

Spelling nit: it's "Charly".

-- wds

Derek Lyons

Apr 22, 2012, 6:49:25 PM4/22/12
nebusj-@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
> Logan's Run

Happened to catch this, ended up watching it... and it was every bit
as cheesy and bad as I remembered it.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 22, 2012, 6:51:02 PM4/22/12
In article <jn1tbg$jau$1...@panix3.panix.com>,
William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> wrote:
Hmm. I had thought it was a big longer as a DAW standalone than half of
an Ace Double, but I could be wrong.

Derek Lyons

Apr 22, 2012, 6:56:11 PM4/22/12
t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

>I had a similar reaction when I first saw "Star Wars"
>
> http://columbiaclosings.com/wordpress/?p=150
>
>it was a great change from the 70s "why should a movie be fun?"
>esthetic.

You only "discovered" rock 'n roll in 1976? Was Columbia that much
behind the times/stuck in the "we play both kinds of music" backwater?
Or was it individual circumstances?

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 22, 2012, 7:20:24 PM4/22/12
In article <4f988c26....@news.supernews.com>,
Derek Lyons <fair...@gmail.com> wrote:
>t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:
>
>>I had a similar reaction when I first saw "Star Wars"
>>
>> http://columbiaclosings.com/wordpress/?p=150
>>
>>it was a great change from the 70s "why should a movie be fun?"
>>esthetic.
>
>You only "discovered" rock 'n roll in 1976? Was Columbia that much
>behind the times/stuck in the "we play both kinds of music" backwater?
>Or was it individual circumstances?
>
>D.

Individual circumstances. My parents weren't rock fans (they didn't
hate it or think it was evil or anything like that -- just didn't
much like it) and the family radio, which nobody was allowed to
change, was pegged to WIS AM 56 (
http://columbiaclosings.com/wordpress/?p=71 ). As it happened, it
worked out well for me as I got to learn to appreciate Sinatra et
al, and then find rock.

SF, OTOH, I was into from day one.

(And Columbia *did* have a rock radio scene, with legendary DJs like
Woody Wyndham http://columbiaclosings.com/wordpress/?page_id=232#comment-9902 )

David DeLaney

Apr 22, 2012, 7:40:20 PM4/22/12
Derek Lyons <fair...@gmail.com> wrote:
>t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:
>>I had a similar reaction when I first saw "Star Wars"
>>
>> http://columbiaclosings.com/wordpress/?p=150
>>
>>it was a great change from the 70s "why should a movie be fun?" esthetic.
>
>You only "discovered" rock 'n roll in 1976? Was Columbia that much
>behind the times/stuck in the "we play both kinds of music" backwater?
>Or was it individual circumstances?

Might be like me, where the car radio was controlled by Dad and stayed on
country (though he also liked ABBA), and I did not have a radio of my own
until high school or so, and the record selection at home had no rock involved.
Don't know if musicals, including Godspell and JCSuperstar, count as rock
though.

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Kip Williams

Apr 22, 2012, 7:47:02 PM4/22/12
Larry wrote:

> The Black Hole stunk.

Possibly, but there were two or three good things about it — small
things — which pretty much exceeded expectations for a Disney effort in
this arena. It showed some attempt to grow up a little, but was
sabotaged in any number of ways from being taken seriously. I won't go
into detail, but... CUTE ROBOTS.

Kip W
rasfw

Chris

Apr 22, 2012, 8:12:06 PM4/22/12
On Apr 21, 12:32 am, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
>         So, Saturday night starting at 8 pm Eastern, the (US) feed of
> Turner Classic Movies is going to do a marathon of what might as well
> be the must-see science fiction films of the 70s, 'Star Trek' and
> 'The Black Hole' excluded.  The lineup:
>
>         Close Encounters of the Third Kind
>
>         Rollerball
>
>         Logan's Run
>
>         Westworld
>
>         Soylent Green
>
>         I suppose there are some who might fault one or two omissions,
> but, we can certainly agree there's nothing to argue about with that
> roster of films.

I can sure argue with _Close Encounters_. Sure, great idea, but
staring into spotlights for 80 minutes is NOT my idea of a good time.

Chris

>         Besides, we missed the Joe E Brown baseball trilogy earlier
> this week.
>
> --http://nebusresearch.wordpress.com/                            Joseph Nebus

Ahasuerus

Apr 23, 2012, 1:21:32 AM4/23/12
On Apr 22, 5:31 pm, wdst...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote:
> In article <9vj09oFa0...@mid.individual.net>,
> t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) said:
>
> > Brunner is an interesting case.  His early stuff, like _Polymath_
> > (and whatever the first version was called)
>
> _Castaways' World_, according to the ISFDB.  Though if I understand
> the ISFDB's formatting correctly it indicates that only the title
> changed, not that the 1963 and 1974 novels had any text differences.

According to Rich Horton (http://www.sff.net/people/richard.horton/
aced60.htm), "_Castaways' World_ is about 45,000 words ... was revised
and expanded in 1974 for a DAW edition called _Polymath_, to about
62,000 words. As with most of Brunner's many revisions of his novels,
the changes are slight expansions and prose refinements throughout the
book: no new scenes, no changes in the plot."

I have updated the variant title records in ISFDB, only one of which
had this information.

Ahasuerus

Apr 23, 2012, 1:55:40 AM4/23/12
On Apr 21, 12:32 am, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
>         So, Saturday night starting at 8 pm Eastern, the (US) feed of
> Turner Classic Movies is going to do a marathon of what might as well
> be the must-see science fiction films of the 70s, 'Star Trek' and
> 'The Black Hole' excluded.  The lineup:
>
>         Close Encounters of the Third Kind
>
>         Rollerball
>
>         Logan's Run
>
>         Westworld
>
>         Soylent Green [snip]

And then there is Europe. Although Karel Zeman's best days were behind
him, _Na komete_ (1970, aka _On the Comet_ and _Hector Servadac's
Ark_, based on Verne's _On the Comet_ - see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066121/combined)
is stylish and surprising, especially if you haven't seen his earlier
movies. Georges Franju's _Nuits rouges_ (1974 aka _Shadowman_, see
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069593/combined) is a vaguely amusing,
although awkward and ultimately unsuccessful, attempted tribute to
Louis Feuillade's (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0275421/) classic pulp
serials. Andrey Tarkovsky's (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001789/)
_Solaris_ (1972) and _Stalker_ (1979) are, if nothing else, visually
impressive.

Kip Williams

Apr 23, 2012, 9:08:31 AM4/23/12
Ahasuerus wrote:

> And then there is Europe.

Wikipedia has a list of 70s SF movies. Some of the European titles are
downright intriguing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_science-fiction_films_of_the_1970s

I KILLED EINSTEIN, GENTLEMEN was directed by Oldrich Lipsky, who I
enjoyed so much as the villainous Hogofogo in LEMONADE JOE.

YOU ARE A WIDOW, SIR

FLOWERS FOR THE MAN IN THE MOON

THE RAT SAVIOR

A NICE PLATE OF SPINACH

TOMORROW I'LL WAKE UP AND SCALD MYSELF WITH TEA

G.I. SAMURAI

And some titles I'm not sure I've seen here yet as well. Some are
horror, some are Roger Corman movies. SLEEPER is one I'd call worthy,
anyway. ZARDOZ. A BOY AND HIS DOG. Something called THE ROCKY HORROR
PICTURE SHOW. Disney sub-teen comedies like THE STRONGEST MAN IN THE
WORLD. THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH. GOD TOLD ME TO. DAMNATION ALLEY.
HARDWARE WARS. THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU. THE ALIEN FACTOR (directed by
Donald M. Dohler — wasn't he a comics fan in the 70s?). CAPRICORN ONE.
THE BOYS FROLM BRAZIL. INVASION OF THE GODDAMN BODY SNATCHERS. MAD MAX.
METEOR. QUINTET. Somebody already said TIME AFTER TIME, right?

And my longtime candidate for the most wretched feature animation ever,
WIZARDS. If you want a crash course in how many ways to extend, fill,
and cheapen animation (not to mention story), this is the textbook.

Kip W
rasfw

jack...@bright.net

Apr 23, 2012, 9:24:46 AM4/23/12
BCFD36 wrote:

>> Dunno about the rest, but Soylent Green did not age very well.
>I am surprised (or maybe I missed it) that no one mentioned The Omega
>Man or Charlie. I'm guessing Omega Man hasn't aged well, but Charlie
>probably has.

I don't know your values of "aged well," Omega Man looks its age, but
not distressingly so. Maybe being focused on a lone man in an empty
world allowed me to write off the quirks. (Hah, double-feature it
with Make Room! Make Ro... er Soylent Green!) Looking up Charly, I'm
reminded it used filming tricks like split screen and traveling split
screen (if that's a term, like in the movie Carrie in the climactic
prom scene). I can only imagine what must have been done to it for
TV's afternoon movie slot in the late '70s. It could be I've never
_really_ seen it at all.

Zardoz should be mentioned for sheer weirdness. Almost like some
Moorcock novel they couldn't get the rights to.

>And since a few reached back into the '60s, 2001, but that
>might be a little too far back as would Fantastic Voyage.

I wonder if one could make the case that the '60s sf movies ended at
the Moon landing in 1969. That would make a nice symmetry with the
'50s sf boom starting out with Destination Moon in 1950. (Although
I'm not sure the dividing line between those two decades falls neatly
in the middle. Hammer Horror, for example, began with their first
Frankenstein and Dracula films in 1957 and 1958.)

>But anything
>with Raquel Welch in a skin tight suit should be mentioned just to
>mention it.

I could watch that for One Million Years, BCFD36.

--
-Jack

jack...@bright.net

Apr 23, 2012, 9:36:32 AM4/23/12
Ted Nolan wrote:

>In article <brk7p79nn85pnol2n...@4ax.com>,
> <jack...@bright.net> wrote:

>>(On the literary side, my impression of the early '70s can be summed
>>up in two words: John Brunner. That may be unfair, _Total Eclipse_
>>did not make me feel like I should kill myself now.)
>
>Brunner is an interesting case. His early stuff, like _Polymath_
>(and whatever the first version was called) is very entertaining and
>not at all grim. Even something like 1972's _The Dramaturges of Yan_,
>while it had some 70s tropes and things starting to come adrift had
>a competent, if hands-off, Earth in the background like a benevolent
>"grandmother". Then the same year, came _The Sheep Look Up_ and
>in 74 _Total Eclipse_. *THEN*, just one year later, in 75, the upbeat
>_Shockwave Rider_. I kind of lost track of him later, but the last
>book of his I recall, something about trying to figure out what happened
>to a race of crab people, if a little odd, was not particularly
>gouge-your-eyes-out grim.

I thought the crab race story was _Total Eclipse_? Yeah, that's
what's between the covers of my book. Also found the 1972 collection
_From This Day Forward_ if you want to take it in pill form. The
cover says it all. A page-a-day calendar showing Friday the 13th. You
just know the next page is also...

--
-Jack

Anthony Nance

Apr 23, 2012, 10:35:20 AM4/23/12
Joseph Nebus <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote:

> So, Saturday night starting at 8 pm Eastern, the (US) feed of
> Turner Classic Movies is going to do a marathon of what might as well
> be the must-see science fiction films of the 70s, 'Star Trek' and
> 'The Black Hole' excluded. The lineup:
>
> Close Encounters of the Third Kind
>
> Rollerball
>
> Logan's Run
>
> Westworld
>
> Soylent Green
>

> I suppose there are some who might fault one or two omissions,
> but, we can certainly agree there's nothing to argue about with that
> roster of films.

Shirley, one must include Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

And The Rocky Horror PIcture Show.

And one of the Godzilla movies - maybe Godzilla vs the Smog Monster,
or probably better Godzilla on Monster Island.

And maybe A Boy and His Dog.

And not Not NOT Laserblast. Blecch.

> Besides, we missed the Joe E Brown baseball trilogy earlier
> this week.

Crap - I missed it. Oh well, it'll come around on the guitar again
Real Soon Now....

Tony

Carson Chittom

Apr 23, 2012, 10:57:36 AM4/23/12
Kip Williams <mrk...@gmail.com> writes:

> And my longtime candidate for the most wretched feature animation
> ever, WIZARDS. If you want a crash course in how many ways to extend,
> fill, and cheapen animation (not to mention story), this is the
> textbook.

Concur. I watched it not long ago for the first time (yet one more
example of Netflix, despite all its research, not "gettting" what I want
recommended). In particular, I remember thinking, "Didn't they realize
how much more powerful this would be if they hadn't been so hamfisted?"

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 23, 2012, 11:27:29 AM4/23/12
Ditto. I loved the IDEA behind "Wizards", but the execution was horrid.
Bakshi also really needed to stop with his love affair with the
rotoscope and, you know, do some ANIMATION.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 23, 2012, 12:40:16 PM4/23/12
In article <jn3sd1$7pv$1...@dont-email.me>,
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>On 4/23/12 10:57 AM, Carson Chittom wrote:
>> Kip Williams<mrk...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> And my longtime candidate for the most wretched feature animation
>>> ever, WIZARDS. If you want a crash course in how many ways to extend,
>>> fill, and cheapen animation (not to mention story), this is the
>>> textbook.
>>
>> Concur. I watched it not long ago for the first time (yet one more
>> example of Netflix, despite all its research, not "gettting" what I want
>> recommended). In particular, I remember thinking, "Didn't they realize
>> how much more powerful this would be if they hadn't been so hamfisted?"
>
> Ditto. I loved the IDEA behind "Wizards", but the execution was horrid.
>Bakshi also really needed to stop with his love affair with the
>rotoscope and, you know, do some ANIMATION.

Has he ever not underperformed? My mother & sister walked out of Wizards
(I stuck it out), American Pop was awful and Cool World was at best
mediocre. I guess Mighty Mouse was OK. (And I was way too young to
see the X stuff..)

tphile2

Apr 23, 2012, 1:18:25 PM4/23/12
On Apr 23, 11:40 am, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
wrote:
> In article <jn3sd1$7p...@dont-email.me>,
Bakshi also did
The Mighty Heroes cartoons
Rocket Robin Hood
The 60's Spider-Man cartoons with its iconic theme song

and lets not forget
Fire and Ice with Frank Frazetta

Derek Lyons

Apr 23, 2012, 1:54:29 PM4/23/12
d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote:

>Derek Lyons <fair...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:
>>>I had a similar reaction when I first saw "Star Wars"
>>>
>>> http://columbiaclosings.com/wordpress/?p=150
>>>
>>>it was a great change from the 70s "why should a movie be fun?" esthetic.
>>
>>You only "discovered" rock 'n roll in 1976? Was Columbia that much
>>behind the times/stuck in the "we play both kinds of music" backwater?
>>Or was it individual circumstances?
>
>Might be like me, where the car radio was controlled by Dad and stayed on
>country (though he also liked ABBA), and I did not have a radio of my own
>until high school or so, and the record selection at home had no rock involved.
>Don't know if musicals, including Godspell and JCSuperstar, count as rock
>though.

That's why I also asked about "individual circumstances"... Because
as late as the mid 70's, there were still enclaves in the South
disconnected in varying degrees from contemporary culture. Even
though I grew up in two fairly (by Southern standards) cosmopolitan
cities, my first encounter (in 1982) with New England and then Seattle
were something of a shock.

Derek Lyons

Apr 23, 2012, 2:01:51 PM4/23/12
nebusj-@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:

> I suppose there are some who might fault one or two omissions,
>but, we can certainly agree there's nothing to argue about with that
>roster of films.

In some ways, I think the iconic 70's dystopia movie is one as yet
undiscussed here: Mad Max.

Solo hero? Check.
Bands of roving barbarians? Check.
Resources depletion? Check.
Fallen/disentigrating civilization? Check.

Jerry Brown

Apr 23, 2012, 2:49:32 PM4/23/12
On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:08:31 -0400, Kip Williams <mrk...@gmail.com>
wrote:

<snip>

>Wikipedia has a list of 70s SF movies. Some of the European titles are
>downright intriguing.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_science-fiction_films_of_the_1970s

<snip>
>TOMORROW I'LL WAKE UP AND SCALD MYSELF WITH TEA

I can highly recommend this if you can tolerate the low-budget effects
(think 70s Doctor Who) and occasionally inappropriate music (the
jaunty little tune which accompanies each flight of the time ship).

The title comes from a line of dialogue describing an event near the
start of each iteration of the time loop.

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Lynn McGuire

Apr 23, 2012, 3:01:35 PM4/23/12
That list is incomplete as it does not include
the original Battlestar Galactica movie.

Lynn

Anthony Nance

Apr 23, 2012, 3:33:12 PM4/23/12
Kip Williams <mrk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Larry wrote:
>
>> The Black Hole stunk.
>
> Possibly, but there were two or three good things about it - small
> things - which pretty much exceeded expectations for a Disney effort in
> this arena. It showed some attempt to grow up a little, but was
> sabotaged in any number of ways from being taken seriously. I won't go
> into detail, but... CUTE ROBOTS.

Ouch!! I had blissfully forgotten (or buried) those memories.
I counter with: "Biddi-biddi-biddi ... Let's go, Buck!"

Tony

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 23, 2012, 3:38:19 PM4/23/12
In article <4f979478....@news.supernews.com>,
Derek Lyons <fair...@gmail.com> wrote:
>d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote:
>
>>Derek Lyons <fair...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>You only "discovered" rock 'n roll in 1976? Was Columbia that much
>>>behind the times/stuck in the "we play both kinds of music" backwater?
>>>Or was it individual circumstances?
>>
>>Might be like me, where the car radio was controlled by Dad and stayed on
>>country (though he also liked ABBA), and I did not have a radio of my own
>>until high school or so, and the record selection at home had no rock involved.
>>Don't know if musicals, including Godspell and JCSuperstar, count as rock
>>though.
>
>That's why I also asked about "individual circumstances"... Because
>as late as the mid 70's, there were still enclaves in the South
>disconnected in varying degrees from contemporary culture. Even
>though I grew up in two fairly (by Southern standards) cosmopolitan
>cities, my first encounter (in 1982) with New England and then Seattle
>were something of a shock.
>
>D.

I must be doing something wrong :-)

A few weeks ago, someone took it on themselves to think I said you
couldn't get good cheese in Coumbia and now that maybe we were
"disconnected". For the record, *I* was disconnected, there was
certainly a rock scene in Columbia.

Larry

Apr 23, 2012, 3:41:32 PM4/23/12
In article <WL0lr.10998$8_6....@newsfe09.iad>, mrk...@gmail.com says...

> Larry wrote:
>
> > The Black Hole stunk.
>
> Possibly, but there were two or three good things about it ? small
> things ? which pretty much exceeded expectations for a Disney effort in
> this arena. It showed some attempt to grow up a little, but was
> sabotaged in any number of ways from being taken seriously. I won't go
> into detail, but... CUTE ROBOTS.

Yeah, the cute robots were stupid, plus the accretion disc that looked like a
whirlpool. There's a reason they call it an accretion disc, not an accretion
funnel. There was no synchrotron radiation at all. I suppose they thought
that a blindingly bright event horizon with jets would confuse the kiddies.

Kip Williams

Apr 23, 2012, 4:09:29 PM4/23/12
Lynn McGuire wrote:
> That list is incomplete as it does not include
> the original Battlestar Galactica movie.

My goal wasn't to regurgitate the entire list. I used the list to
remember some other items I'd consider putting into the discussion here.

I gave the URL so others could go look at the list and report back on
any titles there that they might think worthy of consideration.

Kip W
rasfw

Kip Williams

Apr 23, 2012, 4:09:32 PM4/23/12
Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
[Bakshi]
> Has he ever not underperformed? My mother& sister walked out of Wizards
> (I stuck it out), American Pop was awful and Cool World was at best
> mediocre. I guess Mighty Mouse was OK. (And I was way too young to
> see the X stuff..)

Mighty Mouse was indeed OK. I had to concede that he'd done something
right in hiring John Kricfalusi. The episodes Ralph directed were
wretched, but the show had some great moments. (Curiously, my favorite
episode was from the season after John K got canned, but his influence
was there anyway.)

The Mighty Heroes were godawful, with what feels like a solid minute of
repeated shtick in every episode. I did feel that their existence was
retroactively justified, though, when, um, Hurricane Man and Rope Man
and Cuckoo Man and Diaper Man and whoever I'm forgetting showed up in a
Mighty Mouse cartoon, having retired and opened an accounting firm
called "Man, Man, Man, Man, and Man." For that one joke, they were okay.

Strangely enough, I think Bakshi's best directing job was FRITZ THE CAT,
which you may remember drove Crumb to kill off his own character. Even
stranger, the best parts of that movie were the little bits they hadn't
swiped from Crumb. I have no idea what to make of it, unless it's that
those bits didn't suffer from comparison to their comic originals.

There were also all the 60s cartoons he did for Terry and Famous. 'Bunch
of crap' pretty much sums them up.

Kip W
rasfw

Kip Williams

Apr 23, 2012, 4:09:34 PM4/23/12
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> On 4/23/12 10:57 AM, Carson Chittom wrote:
>> Kip Williams<mrk...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> And my longtime candidate for the most wretched feature animation
>>> ever, WIZARDS. If you want a crash course in how many ways to extend,
>>> fill, and cheapen animation (not to mention story), this is the
>>> textbook.
>>
>> Concur. I watched it not long ago for the first time (yet one more
>> example of Netflix, despite all its research, not "gettting" what I want
>> recommended). In particular, I remember thinking, "Didn't they realize
>> how much more powerful this would be if they hadn't been so hamfisted?"
>
> Ditto. I loved the IDEA behind "Wizards", but the execution was horrid.
> Bakshi also really needed to stop with his love affair with the
> rotoscope and, you know, do some ANIMATION.

There's so much more than just the rotoscope. There's repeated motions
that go on way too long. There's old PD footage of Nazis and Zulus and
such with horns clumsily slapped over their heads. There's
Hanna-Barbera-grade limited animation (in this movie, it's the good
animation).

There are all the times when they switched to stills by Mike Ploog and a
sappy voice-over. My personal favorite was when they apparently put some
picture element on a string and pulled it across an otherwise static
scene in real time.

And that's before addressing the script and character designs.

Kip W
rasfw

Derek Lyons

Apr 23, 2012, 6:23:39 PM4/23/12
If you read up, you'll note I asked whether or not Columbia was
disconnected - which isn't the same as the earlier discussion where
someone pronounced Columbia disconnected. :)

Steve Coltrin

Apr 23, 2012, 8:36:05 PM4/23/12
begin fnord
t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:

> Nope, I'm the idiot. That was supposed to be TPA which really should be
> TPOTA.

_The Phantom of the Ape-ra_?

> _The Planet Of The Apes_

Oh. Disappointed.

--
Steve Coltrin spco...@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel

tphile2

Apr 23, 2012, 8:59:34 PM4/23/12
On Apr 23, 9:35 am, na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance) wrote:
Yes, Laserblast sucked like a black hole
I consider Godzilla vs Hedorah (Smog Monster) one of the worst of the
franchise. Hedorah wasn't very interesting design, ugly powers and
the soundtrack made it look like Godzilla was drunk. Bad movie right
up there with Godzilla vs Megalon.
Over all I think most of the 70's movies mentioned hold up well over
time. Soylent Green is still relevant as ever and quite chilling,
The scoop truck in the riot scene are just as creepy as the climax.
and it was Eddie Robinsons final film.
The Omega Man is good except for some of the obviously cheap sets and
low budget production.
However Logans Run fails mostly for the cardboard sets and props and
model work and that boring ending with the dull trek thru Washington
DC. Its main merits now are Farrah and Jenny.
but don't forget the 70's also gave us Darren McGavin as Carl Kolchak,
The Night Stalker with movies and tv series that were great.
The Martian Chronicles tv miniseries, didn't leave much of an
impression on me

William December Starr

Apr 23, 2012, 9:17:41 PM4/23/12
In article <jvclr.55033$T5.2...@newsfe13.iad>,
Kip Williams <mrk...@gmail.com> said:

> And some titles I'm not sure I've seen here yet as well. Some are
> horror, some are Roger Corman movies. SLEEPER is one I'd call
> worthy, anyway. ZARDOZ. A BOY AND HIS DOG. Something called THE
> ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. Disney sub-teen comedies like THE
> STRONGEST MAN IN THE WORLD. THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH. GOD TOLD
> ME TO. DAMNATION ALLEY.

"Tanner this is Denton! This whole town is
infested with killer cockroaches. I repeat:
KILLER COCKROACHES!"

I'd say they don't write 'em like that anymore, except they
probably do.

-- wds

tphile2

Apr 23, 2012, 9:47:42 PM4/23/12
On Apr 23, 8:17 pm, wdst...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote:
> In article <jvclr.55033$T5.24...@newsfe13.iad>,
Yeah but the Landmaster vehicle was worth enduring all the bad stuff.
That is one of the super cool vehicle designs and the tri wheels
served as paddle wheels moving the Landmaster thru deep water.
However Damnation Alley definitely goes in the novel remade into a
movie posts. Using the original script that Zelazny was happy with.

bigrr

Apr 23, 2012, 10:58:00 PM4/23/12
I haven't seen any mention of 1974's The Final Programme, also known as
The Last Days Of Man On Earth. It's the film version of Michael
Moorcock's first Jerry Cornelius book. I remember seeing it at a
drive-in when it came out. I thought it was pretty cool that it had
been made into a film.

I rented it from Netflix a few years ago and recall it to be a glorious
mess, but interesting to see the attempt.

David DeLaney

Apr 24, 2012, 12:12:43 AM4/24/12
bigrr <bi...@huh.com> wrote:
>I haven't seen any mention of 1974's The Final Programme, also known as
>The Last Days Of Man On Earth. It's the film version of Michael
>Moorcock's first Jerry Cornelius book. I remember seeing it at a
>drive-in when it came out. I thought it was pretty cool that it had
>been made into a film.

O gods. That made it to one of the SF Marathons at CWRU while I was there
and proved to be un-stay-awakeable for me. Gllllghh.

(I must reveal, for accuracy's sake, that though I have read all ... {checks}
ten (or so) of the Jerry Cornelius books that I own, some of them in omnibia,
I do not want to reread ANY of them at any future time thanks very much, they
are the most depressing and dystopic version of la Champion Eternal that I
know of, even with the fight scenes and the drugs and the sex and stuff.)

>I rented it from Netflix a few years ago and recall it to be a glorious
>mess, but interesting to see the attempt.

I can't award "glorious" to it, but that's just me, I think.

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Kip Williams

Apr 24, 2012, 12:17:16 AM4/24/12
This is as good a place as any to mention that I just saw a post at
WFMU's "Beware of the Blog" that goes into intricate detail on the plans
originally made in the 70s for a DUNE movie based on layouts by comics
great Jean "Mobius" Guiraud. Seriously, there's so much corroborative
detail there I had to wonder if it was a hoax.

footnotes:

WFMU has been a regular Pandora's box of treats over the years [yeah, I
know]. It's been a trail guide to music I'd never have run into otherwise,

There are also excellent articles, like Kliph Nesteroff's pieces on
comedians and the mob:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2012/02/the-mob-the-comedians.html

I've found that Kliph's name on an article is a good enough reason to
start reading. When I run out of words to read, that's a good enough
reason to stop.

(Oh, there's a whole archive of Kliph's pieces here:
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/listener_kliphs_posts/ )

Say, where's that nurse with my shot?

Kip W
rasfw

David Goldfarb

Apr 24, 2012, 1:49:11 AM4/24/12
In article <jvclr.55033$T5.2...@newsfe13.iad>,
Kip Williams <mrk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>And my longtime candidate for the most wretched feature animation ever,
>WIZARDS. If you want a crash course in how many ways to extend, fill,
>and cheapen animation (not to mention story), this is the textbook.

I remember when I was 8 years old, my best friend and I went to an
early Star Trek convention in Oakland. (By coincidence, he had the
same last name as you.) They showed various movie previews. I
distinctly recall the two of us agreeing that _Wizards_ seemed
interesting, but that this thing called _Star Wars_ just looked dumb.

--
David Goldfarb |From the fortune cookie file:
goldf...@gmail.com |

Karl Johanson

Apr 24, 2012, 2:24:06 AM4/24/12
On Apr 21, 3:30 pm, "art...@yahoo.com" <art...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 12:32 am, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
>

> >         So, Saturday night starting at 8 pm Eastern, the (US) feed of
> > Turner Classic Movies is going to do a marathon of what might as well
> > be the must-see science fiction films of the 70s, 'Star Trek' and
> > 'The Black Hole' excluded.  The lineup:
>
> >         Close Encounters of the Third Kind
>
> >         Rollerball
>
> >         Logan's Run
>
> >         Westworld
>
> >         Soylent Green
>
> >         I suppose there are some who might fault one or two omissions,
> > but, we can certainly agree there's nothing to argue about with that
> > roster of films.
>
> Dunno about the rest, but Soylent Green did not age very well.

Other than the early 60's video game in 2022, what seemed to age
poorly?

This is an excerpt from a panel I was on about Soylent Green:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb6mH8AFjLY

Karl Johanson

Karl Johanson

Apr 24, 2012, 2:25:48 AM4/24/12
On Apr 22, 3:49 pm, fairwa...@gmail.com (Derek Lyons) wrote:
> >    Logan's Run

Logan's Run predicted what the future would look like better than many
movies.

Karl Johanson

Karl Johanson

Apr 24, 2012, 2:31:08 AM4/24/12
I thought it was awesome.

The Poopsmith wears a Necron 99 costume in a Halloween epsiode on
Homestarrunner.com

Karl Johanson

Karl Johanson

Apr 24, 2012, 2:27:37 AM4/24/12
On Apr 23, 12:01 pm, Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote:

> That list is incomplete as it does not include
> the original Battlestar Galactica movie.

Did you see the original Canadian release, where the Cylons weren't
robots, or the pale shadow they ran on TV?

Karl Johanson

Karl Johanson

Apr 24, 2012, 2:15:06 AM4/24/12
On Apr 21, 5:34 am, Robert Carnegie <rja.carne...@excite.com> wrote:
> _Silent Running_, _Dark Star_,

"That's the lid to the heating unit."

and _Barbarella_.
> Which is 1968, but I don't see anyone complaining.
> Can I ask again: the computer voice in English
> seems to be uncredited, is it the actor
> Kenneth Williams?  I suppose it'd be in his
> famous diaries.
>
> Then there's _Demon Seed_, _Moonraker_, and
> _Alien_.

Karl Johanson

Robert Carnegie

Apr 24, 2012, 5:08:58 AM4/24/12
Excuse me - where are you posting from,
exactly? :-)

art...@yahoo.com

Apr 24, 2012, 7:30:27 AM4/24/12
On Apr 24, 2:24 am, Karl Johanson <karl.johan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 3:30 pm, "art...@yahoo.com" <art...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 21, 12:32 am, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
>
> > >         So, Saturday night starting at 8 pm Eastern, the (US) feed of
> > > Turner Classic Movies is going to do a marathon of what might as well
> > > be the must-see science fiction films of the 70s, 'Star Trek' and
> > > 'The Black Hole' excluded.  The lineup:
>
> > >         Close Encounters of the Third Kind
>
> > >         Rollerball
>
> > >         Logan's Run
>
> > >         Westworld
>
> > >         Soylent Green
>
> > >         I suppose there are some who might fault one or two omissions,
> > > but, we can certainly agree there's nothing to argue about with that
> > > roster of films.
>
> > Dunno about the rest, but Soylent Green did not age very well.
>
> Other than the early 60's video game in 2022, what seemed to age
> poorly?

NY had city had 20 million people with 70's hairstyles and clothing.

Robert Carnegie

Apr 24, 2012, 7:56:36 AM4/24/12
Instead of buying new clothes, they're having to wear
what comes out of old people's attics, and the back
rooms of thrift stores. In five more years they'll
all be in zoot suits.

Kip Williams

Apr 24, 2012, 9:05:15 AM4/24/12
Awesome, awful… maybe we're not so far apart. I went in expecting
something good to great, and had my hopes battered down in a systematic
fashion for the entire running time. I'm not sure if there were five
consecutive minutes in the movie that didn't contain some new
disappointment.

I'll stop now.

Kip W
rasfw

Kip Williams

Apr 24, 2012, 9:05:22 AM4/24/12
David Goldfarb wrote:
> In article<jvclr.55033$T5.2...@newsfe13.iad>,
> Kip Williams<mrk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> And my longtime candidate for the most wretched feature animation ever,
>> WIZARDS. If you want a crash course in how many ways to extend, fill,
>> and cheapen animation (not to mention story), this is the textbook.
>
> I remember when I was 8 years old, my best friend and I went to an
> early Star Trek convention in Oakland. (By coincidence, he had the
> same last name as you.) They showed various movie previews. I
> distinctly recall the two of us agreeing that _Wizards_ seemed
> interesting, but that this thing called _Star Wars_ just looked dumb.

I was eleven years older. The movie had been enthusiastically
recommended to me by a friend. I sometimes wonder how different my
viewing experience might have been if I'd known to expect crap from the
get-go.

(Thinking of MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR, which I had anticipated keenly. The
first time I saw it was very disappointing, but when I saw it again, my
expectations were different and I was able to enjoy it a lot more. And
I've already tried that with WIZARDS.)

Kip W
rasfw

Anthony Nance

Apr 24, 2012, 11:44:04 AM4/24/12
David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
> bigrr <bi...@huh.com> wrote:
>>I haven't seen any mention of 1974's The Final Programme, also known as
>>The Last Days Of Man On Earth. It's the film version of Michael
>>Moorcock's first Jerry Cornelius book. I remember seeing it at a
>>drive-in when it came out. I thought it was pretty cool that it had
>>been made into a film.
>
> O gods. That made it to one of the SF Marathons at CWRU while I was there
> and proved to be un-stay-awakeable for me. Gllllghh.

It was at one of those very things (in Strosacker) that
I first saw Bambi Meets Godzilla and Hardware Wars.

Tony

Anthony Nance

Apr 24, 2012, 11:47:44 AM4/24/12
tphile2 <tph...@cableone.net> wrote:
Or worse even

> I consider Godzilla vs Hedorah (Smog Monster) one of the worst of the
> franchise. Hedorah wasn't very interesting design, ugly powers and
> the soundtrack made it look like Godzilla was drunk. Bad movie right
> up there with Godzilla vs Megalon.

Yeah - I enjoyed Godzilla on Monster Island far more, but Smog Monster
tends to get a lot more publicity & memory & attention.

> Over all I think most of the 70's movies mentioned hold up well over
> time. Soylent Green is still relevant as ever and quite chilling,
> The scoop truck in the riot scene are just as creepy as the climax.
> and it was Eddie Robinsons final film.
> The Omega Man is good except for some of the obviously cheap sets and
> low budget production.
> However Logans Run fails mostly for the cardboard sets and props and
> model work and that boring ending with the dull trek thru Washington
> DC. Its main merits now are Farrah and Jenny.
> but don't forget the 70's also gave us Darren McGavin as Carl Kolchak,
> The Night Stalker with movies and tv series that were great.
> The Martian Chronicles tv miniseries, didn't leave much of an
> impression on me

Well, the initial list and responses are toeing the classic "SF" line
pretty closely, or I'd toss in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971).

Oh...how about Phantasm (1979)?

Tony

Karl Johanson

Apr 24, 2012, 1:42:43 PM4/24/12
A place with Malls & Spas.

Karl Johanson

Karl Johanson

Apr 24, 2012, 9:54:43 PM4/24/12
My wife's grandmother said that in her younger years, people used
"awesome" to mean bad and "awful" to mean good. She wondered why
they're reversed now.

>I went in expecting
> something good to great, and had my hopes battered down in a systematic
> fashion for the entire running time. I'm not sure if there were five
> consecutive minutes in the movie that didn't contain some new
> disappointment.
>
> I'll stop now.

It's one of the movies I like, that I understand why some don't. Same
with Ishtar.

Karl Johanson

Kip Williams

Apr 24, 2012, 10:20:32 PM4/24/12
I might see that one day.

Kip W
rasfw

Derek Lyons

Apr 27, 2012, 2:34:31 AM4/27/12
Kip Williams <mrk...@gmail.com> wrote:

>This is as good a place as any to mention that I just saw a post at
>WFMU's "Beware of the Blog" that goes into intricate detail on the plans
>originally made in the 70s for a DUNE movie based on layouts by comics
>great Jean "Mobius" Guiraud. Seriously, there's so much corroborative
>detail there I had to wonder if it was a hoax.

Nope, not a hoax. IIRC, it was fairly widely known at the time. ISTR
an article in Starlog about it.

jack...@bright.net

Apr 27, 2012, 8:08:31 AM4/27/12
Derek Lyons wrote:

>Kip Williams <mrk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>This is as good a place as any to mention that I just saw a post at
>>WFMU's "Beware of the Blog" that goes into intricate detail on the plans
>>originally made in the 70s for a DUNE movie based on layouts by comics
>>great Jean "Mobius" Guiraud. Seriously, there's so much corroborative
>>detail there I had to wonder if it was a hoax.
>
>Nope, not a hoax. IIRC, it was fairly widely known at the time. ISTR
>an article in Starlog about it.

I was thinking the same thing, but wait, the Starlog article about
H.R. "Giger" Giger, wasn't it?

I am finding stuff on the interwebs about Mobius's involvement, as
well as Giger's and also Chris Foss. Obviously it is a hoax, built
from materials those three created for ALIEN!

--
-Jack

Kip Williams

Apr 27, 2012, 9:14:57 AM4/27/12
Derek Lyons wrote:
> Kip Williams<mrk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is as good a place as any to mention that I just saw a post at
>> WFMU's "Beware of the Blog" that goes into intricate detail on the plans
>> originally made in the 70s for a DUNE movie based on layouts by comics
>> great Jean "Mobius" Guiraud. Seriously, there's so much corroborative
>> detail there I had to wonder if it was a hoax.
>
> Nope, not a hoax. IIRC, it was fairly widely known at the time. ISTR
> an article in Starlog about it.

Thanks.

Kip W
rasfw