SFBC 1962

James Nicoll

Mar 5, 2003, 1:16:49 PM3/5/03
1962
January FROM THE OCEAN, FROM THE STARS by Arthur C. Clarke

Contents

Introduction
The Deep Range
The Other Side of the Sky
Bibliographical note
Nine Billion Names of God
Refugee
The Wall of Darkness
Security Check
No Morning After
Venture to the Moon
Publicity Campaign
All the Time in the World
Cosmic Casanova
The Star
Transcience
The Songs of Distant Earth
The City and the Stars

A fairly solid collection. "The Star" about a religious man
dealign with new information that both confirms and undermines his
faith, is possibly the best know work here but I am most fond of "The
Songs of Distant Earth" for no rational reason I could give. I just
like bucolic worlds visited once a century or so by starships.

February WHEN THEY COME FROM SPACE by Mark Clifton

Ad guy vs aliens? I've read it but like a lot of Clifton
it left little impression.

March PROLOGUE TO ANALOG edited by John W. Campbell

Introduction (John W. Campbell)
Belief (Isaac Asimov)
Pandora's Planet (Christopher Anvil)
Sound Decision (Randall Garrett & Robert Silverberg)
Omnilingual (H. Beam Piper)
Triggerman (J.F. Bone)
A Filbert is a Nut (Rick Raphael)
Business as Usual, During Alterations (Ralph Williams)
Pushbutton War (Joseph P. Marino)
We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, Hardly (Roger Kuykendall)
Minor Ingredient (Eric Frank Russell)

I myself am deeply unenthusiastic about the Anvil but the Piper
(about the problem of translating an utterly dead language) is good.
I -think- the Williams is about the effects of a matter duplicator.

April A TALE OF TWO CLOCKS by J.H. Schmitz

Also known as _Legacy_, this is a Trigger Argee novel, Trigger
being the less annoying of the Argee/Amberdon pair due to Trigger's lack of
Whatever I Need Psi Powers and subsequent need to think problems through.

May ALL THE TRAPS OF EARTH by Clifford D. Simak

Contains

The Sitter
Installment Pala
Good Night, Mr. James
All the Traps of Earth
Drop Dead
Condition of Employment

And I missed this one.

June NECROMANCER by Gordon R. Dickson

The Dorsai novel with the earliest setting as far as I know, this
is the unravelling of a mystery by a man who is more than he seems. Reminds
me a little of what a coherent Van Vogt novel might look like, actually.
Portions of this book (like the interstellar range teleporter) seem to be
flatly impossible to reconcile with later Dorsai novels.

July A CENTURY OF SCIENCE FICTION edited by Damon Knight

Contents

Introduction (Damon Knight)
The Ideal (Stanley G. Weinbaum)
Moxon's Master (Ambrose Bierce)
Reason (Isaac Asimov)
Who Can Replace a Man? (Brain Aldiss)
The Time Machine (H.G. Wells)
Of Time and Third Avenue (Alfred Bester)
Sail On! Sail On! (Philip Jose Farmer)
Worlds of the Imperium (Keith Laumer)
The Business, As Usual (Mack Reynolds)
What's It Like Out There? (Jack Williamson)
Sky Lift (Robert A. Heinlein)
The Star (Arthur C. Clarke)
The Crystal Egg (H.G. Wells)
The Wind People (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
Unhuman Sacrifice (Katherine MacLean)
What Was It? (Fitz-James O'Brien)
The First Days of May (Claude Veillot trans by Damon Knight)
Day of Succession (Theodore L. Thomas)
Another World (J-H Rosny-Aine)
Odd John (Olaf Stapledon)
Call Me Joe (Poul Anderson)
From the "London Times" of 1904 (Mark Twain)
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Jules Verne)
You Are With It! (Will Stanton)
Cease Fire (Frank Herbert)
Suggested Reading

The few stories in this I have read make me wonder about the ones
I missed. This list also makes me wonder in how many forms readers found
themselves buying "The Star"? Or "Call Me Joe"?

The Asimov is a Robot story, I think. _The Time Machine_ is
one of, if not -the-, first novel about a mechanical time machine and
is still, I think, worth reading. "Sail On! Sail On!" is about the
unexpected confirmation of a world model. I think _Worlds of the Imperium_
is the first novel about a Anglo-Prussian Empire with access to a cross-
time machine, although it is the second novel about its protagonist (_The
Embassy_ is the first). "Sky Lift" shows the effects of a high-gee trip
to deliver vital supplies. "The Star" has been previously reviewed and
so has "Call Me Joe". "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" is a ripping
tale of submarine adventure and is impossible to reconcile with the next
book Nemo appears in, _The Mysterious Island_.

August CENTRAL PASSAGE by Lawrence Schoonover

I don't know this one.

September UNWISE CHILD by Randall Garrett

Or this one.

October THE GREAT EXPLOSION by Randall Garrett

And although I own this in two different versions I have never
actually read it. I stall somewhere in the 'uncooperative and uninformative
locals' scenes.

THE BEST FROM FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION, 11TH SERIES edited
by Robert Mills (Alternate)

Contents:

Introduction (Robert P. Mills)
When I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer (Walt Whitman)
' The Sources of the Nile (Avram Davidson)
Somebody to Play With (Jay Williams)
Softly While You're Sleeping (Evelyn E. Smith)
The Machine That Won the War (Isaac Asimov)
Go For Baroque (Jody Scott)
Time Lag (Poul Anderson)
George (John Anthony West)
Shotgun Cure (Clifford D. Simak)
The One Who Returns (John Berry)
The Captivity (Charles G. Finney)
Alpha Ralpha Boulevard (Cordwainer Smith)
Effigy (Rosser Reeves)
Harrison Bergeron (Kurt Vonnegut)
The Haunted Village (Gordon R. Dickson)

"Time Lag" is about a war fought with relativistic limitations
between a low population world and a high population world, with the
author's thumb clearly on the low-pop world side of the scales. "Alpha
Ralpha Boulevard" is one of the early C'Mell stories and shows the down-
side of true precognition. "Harrison Bergeron" is about a mileau where
everyone is made to be average and has been used as the jumping off point
for complaints by maladapts ever since it was first published. Not
just the noble lefthanded ones, mind you, but also the people who just
couldn't be bothered to do their homework.

November THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE by Philip K. Dick

This is set in an America apparently divided between Imperial
Japan and Nazi Germany as in Kornbluth's "Two Dooms", and although very
little actually happens I still have fond memories of this book.

December THE LONG WINTER by John Christopher

Missed this one. I'm guessing the End of the World As We
Know It by Ice Age.

THE HUGO WINNERS edited by Isaac Asimov (Alternate)

I can't resolve which of roughly a million possible versions
of this title this particular offering might be. One version was among
the first books I ever got from the SFBC.

--
"Repress the urge to sprout wings or self-ignite!...This man's an
Episcopalian!...They have definite views."

Pibgorn Oct 31/02

Mike Schilling

Mar 5, 2003, 2:06:08 PM3/5/03

"James Nicoll" <jdni...@panix.com> wrote in message
Close to being *the* robot story. It's the one about the philosopher-robot
who doesn't belive he was created by anything as weak and stupid as a man.

_Of Time and Third Avenue_ is a cute story about time travel. Minor Bester.

> October THE GREAT EXPLOSION by Randall Garrett
>
> And although I own this in two different versions I have never
> actually read it. I stall somewhere in the 'uncooperative and
uninformative
> locals' scenes.

Do you by any chance mean Eric Frank Russell?

If so it's a fixup. The best section is the last, published as "And Then
There Were None", about a working anarchy.

"The Sources of the Nile" is classic Davidson, and tries to explain just
where new fashions come from.

> THE HUGO WINNERS edited by Isaac Asimov (Alternate)
>
> I can't resolve which of roughly a million possible versions
> of this title this particular offering might be. One version was among
> the first books I ever got from the SFBC.

In 1962, this would have to be Volume 1. (IIRC, this ended with Anderson's
_The Longest Voyage_, which won in 1961.) One of the first books I ever
got from the SFBC was volumes 1 and 2 combined, which contained stories
through, let's see, 1970. (Oddly, volume 2 had Delany's "Time Considered as
a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones", but not Leiber's "Ship of Shadows", even
though both won in 1970. The Leiber was in Volume 3)

Joseph Major

Mar 5, 2003, 2:38:36 PM3/5/03
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
: 1962
<snip>
:
: March PROLOGUE TO ANALOG edited by John W. Campbell
<snip>
: Business as Usual, During Alterations (Ralph Williams)

A reply to the "matter duplicators will create an anarchy where
only the strong survive!" theme (i.e., Damon Knight's _A for Anything_).
People who didn't know about guns missed a point. The gun
department in the store sold all the would-be S.M. Stirling heroes Sten
guns which had been deactivated as war trophies, and ammunition that
looked like it would fire but wouldn't (.380 ACP which has bullets the
same diameter as 9 mm (which is what the Sten uses) but is just a bit
shorter, so the cartridge would bounce forward in the chamber instead of
firing). Subtle but to the point, particulary about the bloodthirstiness
combined with ignorance of the customers.

: April A TALE OF TWO CLOCKS by J.H. Schmitz

:
: Also known as _Legacy_, this is a Trigger Argee novel, Trigger
: being the less annoying of the Argee/Amberdon pair due to Trigger's lack of
: Whatever I Need Psi Powers and subsequent need to think problems through.

Published in the Baen collections, retitled as well as edited (or
"edited") by Flint.

:
: June NECROMANCER by Gordon R. Dickson

:
: The Dorsai novel with the earliest setting as far as I know, this
: is the unravelling of a mystery by a man who is more than he seems. Reminds
: me a little of what a coherent Van Vogt novel might look like, actually.
: Portions of this book (like the interstellar range teleporter) seem to be
: flatly impossible to reconcile with later Dorsai novels.

The man who is more than he seems is named Paul Formain. From
"fort-main" -- "strong-arm". He has also lost an arm and the other is,
well, very muscular . . .

<snip>
:
: October THE GREAT EXPLOSION by Randall Garrett

Eric Frank Russell.

:
: And although I own this in two different versions I have never

: actually read it. I stall somewhere in the 'uncooperative and uninformative
: locals' scenes.

Seemed to me that once the explorers got into town the locals
turned out to be quite informative. Of course, how the "ob" system got to
working around sending Daddy over to borrow a handful of sugar and sending
three-year-old Diana to return it is another matter.

Joseph T Major

William December Starr

Mar 5, 2003, 4:19:36 PM3/5/03
In article <b45euh$jpo$1...@panix1.panix.com>,
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) said:

> July A CENTURY OF SCIENCE FICTION edited by Damon Knight
>
> Contents

[ *big* pile o' contents snipped ]

Did the info that Andrew Wheeler sent you include page counts?
This looks like a lot of book, though I suppose it may have been
a two-volume deal.

-- William December Starr <wds...@panix.com>

James Nicoll

Mar 5, 2003, 4:32:45 PM3/5/03
In article <b45pl8$3hm$1...@panix3.panix.com>,

William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <b45euh$jpo$1...@panix1.panix.com>,
>jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) said:
>
>> July A CENTURY OF SCIENCE FICTION edited by Damon Knight
>>
>> Contents
>
>[ *big* pile o' contents snipped ]
>
>Did the info that Andrew Wheeler sent you include page counts?
>This looks like a lot of book, though I suppose it may have been
>a two-volume deal.

No page counts thus far. According to Contento, it was 352 pages.

Bill & Sue Miller

Mar 5, 2003, 6:51:10 PM3/5/03
James Nicoll wrote:

> In article <b45pl8$3hm$1...@panix3.panix.com>,
> William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> wrote:
> >In article <b45euh$jpo$1...@panix1.panix.com>,
> >jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) said:
> >
> >> July A CENTURY OF SCIENCE FICTION edited by Damon Knight
> >>
> >> Contents
> >
> >[ *big* pile o' contents snipped ]
> >
> >Did the info that Andrew Wheeler sent you include page counts?
> >This looks like a lot of book, though I suppose it may have been
> >a two-volume deal.
>
> No page counts thus far. According to Contento, it was 352 pages.

My paperback copy is 384 pages. In the paperback, at least, _The Time
Machine_, _Worlds of the Imperium_, _The Ideal_, _Odd John_, and _20K Leagues
Etc_ are exerpted only.

Bill
--
Home: wbmi...@houston.rr.com
Work: william....@jsc.nasa.gov

@hotmail.com.invalid Eric D. Berge

Mar 5, 2003, 6:46:04 PM3/5/03
On 5 Mar 2003 13:16:49 -0500, jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

>December THE LONG WINTER by John Christopher
>
> Missed this one. I'm guessing the End of the World As We
>Know It by Ice Age.

I think I read this about a year ago. It Wasn't Good.

It was, however, interesting as an artifact of its time - Ice Age sets
in, the population of an increasingly authoritarian England feels the
pinch as good liquor becomes harder and harder to obtain.
Wife-swapping occurs. The Lucky Ones and the Well Connected move to
the colonies in Africa, where the impecunious white refugees are
reduced to working as servants (if lucky) or prostitutes (if not) for
their former colonial underlings. Good liquor may be obtained from
South Africa. Everyone spends an enormous amount of time drinking,
talking about drinking, commenting on liquor, meeting for drinks,
going over to each other's houses for drinks at 11:00am on Sunday,
etc.

Odd book. Dated attitudes about sex, race, class, colonialism, and
alchohol.

William December Starr

Mar 5, 2003, 6:59:07 PM3/5/03
In article <3E668D22...@houston.rr.com>,

Bill & Sue Miller <wbmi...@houston.rr.com> said:

>>> [ *big* pile o' contents snipped ]

>> No page counts thus far. According to Contento, it was 352 pages.

> My paperback copy is 384 pages. In the paperback, at least, _The
> Time Machine_, _Worlds of the Imperium_, _The Ideal_, _Odd John_,
> and _20K Leagues Etc_ are exerpted only.

Ah, much is explained. I was thinking that the volume contained the
full novels. (*Thud*)

Richard Horton

Mar 5, 2003, 11:43:32 PM3/5/03
On 5 Mar 2003 13:16:49 -0500, jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

>February WHEN THEY COME FROM SPACE by Mark Clifton
>
> Ad guy vs aliens? I've read it but like a lot of Clifton
>it left little impression.

I don't think he was really an ad guy. At a quick scan I can't tell
for sure, but my guess was he might have been in Personnel -- that
being Clifton's own field. It was Ralph Kennedy -- wasn't that the
same guy as the Psi stories like "Sense From Thought Divide"?

Originally published in Amazing as "Pawn of the Black Fleet", this was
about the last thing Clifton did before he died, as I recall.

>March PROLOGUE TO ANALOG edited by John W. Campbell
>
> Introduction (John W. Campbell)
> Belief (Isaac Asimov)
> Pandora's Planet (Christopher Anvil)
> Sound Decision (Randall Garrett & Robert Silverberg)
> Omnilingual (H. Beam Piper)
> Triggerman (J.F. Bone)
> A Filbert is a Nut (Rick Raphael)
> Business as Usual, During Alterations (Ralph Williams)
> Pushbutton War (Joseph P. Marino)
> We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, Hardly (Roger Kuykendall)
> Minor Ingredient (Eric Frank Russell)
>
> I myself am deeply unenthusiastic about the Anvil but the Piper
>(about the problem of translating an utterly dead language) is good.
>I -think- the Williams is about the effects of a matter duplicator.

Yep. I agree with you about the Anvil, too, though others apparently
really like it. I just recently read the Martino story. He's still
publishing occasionally in Analog. "Pushbutton War" is SF at it's
worst, IMO -- presents a reasonable very near future extrapolation
(computer-guided anti-missile missiles, basically) and DOES NOTHING
WITH IT. The Garrett/Silverberg story is OK, as is the Asimov story.

P. Schuyler Miller used to complain whenever an anthology reprinted an
already reprinted story.

"Worlds of the Imperium" might be Dan Goodman's favorite Laumer
reprint -- the part of the serial excised from the book version, a
view of a series of parallel worlds that had little to do with the
actual plot of the novel, but which was some pretty neat imaginative
writing.

>September UNWISE CHILD by Randall Garrett
>
> Or this one.

I have a notion it's about an intelligent computer.

And "The Sources of the Nile" is one of the great SF stories of all
time, my favorite Davidson story (which is saying a lot) -- about a
family which can anticipate fashion trends.

I also quite like the Whitman poem, even though I basically reject its
message.

>November THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE by Philip K. Dick
>
> This is set in an America apparently divided between Imperial
>Japan and Nazi Germany as in Kornbluth's "Two Dooms", and although very
>little actually happens I still have fond memories of this book.

My favorite PKD, a great book.

> THE HUGO WINNERS edited by Isaac Asimov (Alternate)
>
> I can't resolve which of roughly a million possible versions
>of this title this particular offering might be. One version was among
>the first books I ever got from the SFBC.

I believe a version of this (I think it was actually a combination of
Volumes I and II of the Hugo Winners) was part of my first shipment
(the $1 one!) from the SFBC.

--
Rich Horton | Stable Email: mailto://richard...@sff.net
Home Page: http://www.sff.net/people/richard.horton

Robert A. Woodward

Mar 6, 2003, 1:38:55 AM3/6/03
In article <b45euh$jpo$1...@panix1.panix.com>,
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

<SNIP>

> September UNWISE CHILD by Randall Garrett
>
> Or this one.

Also published as _Starship Death_

Intelligent computer, robot as remote, child psychologist as teacher,
starship taking computer to a planet outside the solar system.

--
Robert Woodward <robe...@drizzle.com>
<http://www.drizzle.com/~robertaw

James Nicoll

Mar 6, 2003, 10:13:32 AM3/6/03
In article <UlA9a.1127$xy7....@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>,

OK, hands up. Who here got this book as part of their first
shipment from the SFBC?

Mike Schilling

Mar 6, 2003, 10:20:02 AM3/6/03

> In article <UlA9a.1127$xy7....@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>,
> Richard Horton <rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> >On 5 Mar 2003 13:16:49 -0500, jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
> >>
> >> THE HUGO WINNERS edited by Isaac Asimov (Alternate)
> >>
> >> I can't resolve which of roughly a million possible versions
> >>of this title this particular offering might be. One version was among
> >>the first books I ever got from the SFBC.
> >>

> >I believe a version of this (I think it was actually a combination of
> >Volumes I and II of the Hugo Winners) was part of my first shipment
> >(the $1 one!) from the SFBC.
> >

> OK, hands up. Who here got this book as part of their first
> shipment from the SFBC?

Me, along with _Dangerous Visions_ and _Stand on Zanzibar_. Quite a haul,
both in quality and page count.

Michael S. Schiffer

Mar 6, 2003, 10:30:37 AM3/6/03
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in

> In article <UlA9a.1127$xy7....@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>,
> Richard Horton <rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>>On 5 Mar 2003 13:16:49 -0500, jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
>>wrote:

>>> THE HUGO WINNERS edited by Isaac Asimov
>>> (Alternate)

>>> I can't resolve which of roughly a million possible
>>> versions
>>>of this title this particular offering might be. One version
>>>was among the first books I ever got from the SFBC.

>>I believe a version of this (I think it was actually a
>>combination of Volumes I and II of the Hugo Winners) was part of
>>my first shipment (the $1 one!) from the SFBC.

> OK, hands up. Who here got this book as part of their first
> shipment from the SFBC?

<Raises hand.> Also _The Foundation Trilogy_, _A World Out of Time_
(I'd read one of the "Rammer" stories in a Galaxy anthology and so it
sounded familiar) and the two-volume _Galactic Empires_. (The last
was out of stock when I joined, so they offered me the option of
getting another book from a list that included stuff from other
affiliated clubs. Hence, I got Liddel-Hart's _History of the Second
World War_ as part of my SFBC intro as well, and then they sent me
_Galactic Empires_ anyway.)

Not a bad bunch of books, IMHO, even with a quarter-century of
distance to evaluate from. _GE_ is still one of the best
SF anthologies I've ever read (in fact, I think I like the stories in
it on average better than I do the ones in _The Hugo Winners_.)

Mike

--
Michael S. Schiffer, LHN, FCS
msch...@condor.depaul.edu

James Nicoll

Mar 6, 2003, 10:59:12 AM3/6/03
In article <Xns933660BC1C7F...@130.133.1.4>,

Michael S. Schiffer <msch...@condor.depaul.edu> wrote:
>jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in
>
>> OK, hands up. Who here got this book as part of their first
>> shipment from the SFBC?
>
><Raises hand.> Also _The Foundation Trilogy_, _A World Out of Time_
>(I'd read one of the "Rammer" stories in a Galaxy anthology and so it
>sounded familiar)

I just reread _World Out of Time_. I think it too has gotten
rolled over by the steamroller of advancing science: the Earth in that
scenario has to be hot enough for a run away hot wet greenhouse effect
to have killed everything in the million years since the Unfortunate
Events occured. Some cool scenes in there, though.

Nancy Lebovitz

Mar 6, 2003, 12:20:21 PM3/6/03
In article <b47ois$o2l$1...@panix1.panix.com>,

James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <UlA9a.1127$xy7....@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>,
>Richard Horton <rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>>On 5 Mar 2003 13:16:49 -0500, jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>>>
>>> THE HUGO WINNERS edited by Isaac Asimov (Alternate)
>>>
>>> I can't resolve which of roughly a million possible versions
>>>of this title this particular offering might be. One version was among
>>>the first books I ever got from the SFBC.
>>>

>>I believe a version of this (I think it was actually a combination of
>>Volumes I and II of the Hugo Winners) was part of my first shipment
>>(the $1 one!) from the SFBC.
>>

> OK, hands up. Who here got this book as part of their first
>shipment from the SFBC?

I didn't--I got the two volume Boucher anthology, the one volume
Foundation trilogy, and, iirc, the Knight collection that included
"Rule Golden".
--
Nancy Lebovitz na...@netaxs.com www.nancybuttons.com
Now, with bumper stickers

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

Don Erikson

Mar 6, 2003, 2:46:18 PM3/6/03
On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 23:51:10 GMT, Bill & Sue Miller
<wbmi...@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>James Nicoll wrote:
>
>> In article <b45pl8$3hm$1...@panix3.panix.com>,
>> William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> wrote:

>> >[ *big* pile o' contents snipped ]
>> >
>> >Did the info that Andrew Wheeler sent you include page counts?
>> >This looks like a lot of book, though I suppose it may have been
>> >a two-volume deal.
>>
>> No page counts thus far. According to Contento, it was 352 pages.
>
>My paperback copy is 384 pages. In the paperback, at least, _The Time
>Machine_, _Worlds of the Imperium_, _The Ideal_, _Odd John_, and _20K Leagues
>Etc_ are exerpted only.

These are exerted in the SFBC edition also.

>Bill

John M. Gamble

Mar 6, 2003, 5:11:29 PM3/6/03
In article <UlA9a.1127$xy7....@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>,
Richard Horton <rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>On 5 Mar 2003 13:16:49 -0500, jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>

>And "The Sources of the Nile" is one of the great SF stories of all
>time, my favorite Davidson story (which is saying a lot) -- about a
>family which can anticipate fashion trends.

What was the name of the family? I ask, because Connie Willis's
*Bellwether* makes use of the phrase "the source of the Nile", and
makes use of a half-way similar plot device. If this is an homage
to Davidson, i wonder if there might be other tip-of-the-hat items
in there as well.

--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.

John M. Gamble

Mar 6, 2003, 5:12:45 PM3/6/03
In article <b47ois$o2l$1...@panix1.panix.com>,
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <UlA9a.1127$xy7....@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>,
>Richard Horton <rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>>On 5 Mar 2003 13:16:49 -0500, jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>>>
>>> THE HUGO WINNERS edited by Isaac Asimov (Alternate)
>>>
>>> I can't resolve which of roughly a million possible versions
>>>of this title this particular offering might be. One version was among
>>>the first books I ever got from the SFBC.
>>>

>>I believe a version of this (I think it was actually a combination of
>>Volumes I and II of the Hugo Winners) was part of my first shipment
>>(the $1 one!) from the SFBC.
>>

> OK, hands up. Who here got this book as part of their first
>shipment from the SFBC?

Me. A three-for-a-dollar deal that included A Treasury of Great
Science Fiction (Boucher) and Dune (Herbert).

Andrew Wheeler

Mar 6, 2003, 8:55:29 PM3/6/03
James Nicoll wrote:

> In article <b45pl8$3hm$1...@panix3.panix.com>,
> William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> wrote:
> >In article <b45euh$jpo$1...@panix1.panix.com>,
> >jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) said:
> >
> >> July A CENTURY OF SCIENCE FICTION edited by Damon Knight
> >>
> >> Contents
> >
> >[ *big* pile o' contents snipped ]
> >
> >Did the info that Andrew Wheeler sent you include page counts?
> >This looks like a lot of book, though I suppose it may have been
> >a two-volume deal.
>
> No page counts thus far. According to Contento, it was 352
> pages.

For most of these, I do have actual file copies, but they're in storage
somewhere, so I couldn't tell you much about them. (And I packed them
off to storage about ten years ago, so I don't have much memory of what
they look like, either.)

--
Andrew Wheeler

William December Starr

Mar 6, 2003, 9:17:54 PM3/6/03
In article <b47ois$o2l$1...@panix1.panix.com>,
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) said:

> OK, hands up. Who here got this book [_The Hugo Winners_] as

> part of their first shipment from the SFBC?

Yo. That, _A Science Fiction Argosy_ (ed. Damon Knight), _A
Treasury of Great Science Fiction_ (2 volumes, ed. Anthony
Boucher) and one that I can't remember at the moment were my
"Get Four Books for <cheap>" buy-in.

Peter D. Tillman

Mar 7, 2003, 12:52:29 AM3/7/03

-- and will be erted in the next reprint...

eers -- Pete Tillman

David Goldfarb

Mar 10, 2003, 7:40:43 AM3/10/03
In article <b47ois$o2l$1...@panix1.panix.com>,
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
[_The Hugo Winners_ vols I and II]

> OK, hands up. Who here got this book as part of their first
>shipment from the SFBC?

I did. Along with the two-volume set of _The Chronicles of Amber_; I
don't recall what else. (It was 25 years ago.)

--
David Goldfarb <*>|"In the fifties, people responded well to
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu | authoritative disembodied voices."