Translations of WoT-terms

Maarten D. de Jong

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

When discussing the Wheel of Time with a few friends, I discovered it is
really quite difficult to translate a few keywords into my native language---
Dutch. I've read a Dutch translation of the WoT-books, but the translations
seem needlessly theatrical. I wondered if people speaking other germanistic
languages have the same trouble with:

One Power
taint
Blight
to channel
Pattern
Waygate
Wheel of Time (especially 'wheel'!)

Maarten

Rick Waters

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

Maarten D. de Jong wrote ...

Yes. English.

--
Rick Waters
rwa...@erols.com

Benny V

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

Maarten D. de Jong <maa...@cpt6.stm.tudelft.nl> skrev i
inlägg <68bp8p$jjk$1...@news.tudelft.nl>...

> When discussing the Wheel of Time with a few friends, I
discovered it is
> really quite difficult to translate a few keywords into
my native language---
> Dutch. I've read a Dutch translation of the WoT-books,
but the translations
> seem needlessly theatrical. I wondered if people speaking
other germanistic
> languages have the same trouble with:
>
> One Power

In the swedish translation that becomes _Kraften_ which
translated to English becomes _the_Force_.

> to channel

Becomes _att_leda_ which becomes _to_direct_

> Waygate

Becomes _Port_ which becomes _Gate_

We have some other problems to.
I'm just waiting to see what the translators will do with
the word "Gateway".

Benny Välitalo

Kjell Stahl

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

On 31 Dec 1997 00:15:13 GMT, "Benny V" <be...@mbox310.swipnet.se>
wrote:

>We have some other problems to.
>I'm just waiting to see what the translators will do with
>the word "Gateway".

I hate the way they translated the Great Blight into "Stora
Fördärv."

Yuck. (But I suppose it's accurate.)

--
Kjell Stahl -- kst...@hem2.passagen.se
http://hem2.passagen.se/kstahl/

Richard M. Boye'

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

Kjell Stahl wrote:

> On 31 Dec 1997 00:15:13 GMT, "Benny V" <be...@mbox310.swipnet.se>
> wrote:
>
> >We have some other problems to.
> >I'm just waiting to see what the translators will do with
> >the word "Gateway".
>
> I hate the way they translated the Great Blight into "Stora
> Fördärv."
>
> Yuck. (But I suppose it's accurate.)

How so?

--
Richard M. Boye'
* wa...@webspan.net

Kjell Stahl

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997 23:25:30 -0500, "Richard M. Boye'"
<wa...@webspan.net> wrote:

>Kjell Stahl wrote:
>>
>> On 31 Dec 1997 00:15:13 GMT, "Benny V" <be...@mbox310.swipnet.se>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >We have some other problems to.
>> >I'm just waiting to see what the translators will do with
>> >the word "Gateway".
>>
>> I hate the way they translated the Great Blight into "Stora
>> Fördärv."
>>
>> Yuck. (But I suppose it's accurate.)
>
>How so?

Well, if something was blighted, we would say "fördärvad" in
Sweden. And "stor" means big, large, or something similar...

Richard M. Boye'

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

Kjell Stahl wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 1997 23:25:30 -0500, "Richard M. Boye'"
> <wa...@webspan.net> wrote:
>
> >Kjell Stahl wrote:

> >> I hate the way they translated the Great Blight into "Stora
> >> Fördärv."
> >>
> >> Yuck. (But I suppose it's accurate.)
> >
> >How so?
>
> Well, if something was blighted, we would say "fördärvad" in
> Sweden. And "stor" means big, large, or something similar...

So basically it means the "Big Rot"?

That is kinda grody.

Mathias Cederholm

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

Kjell Stahl wrote:

> On 31 Dec 1997 00:15:13 GMT, "Benny V" <be...@mbox310.swipnet.se>
> wrote:
>
> >We have some other problems to.
> >I'm just waiting to see what the translators will do with
> >the word "Gateway".
>
> I hate the way they translated the Great Blight into "Stora
> Fördärv."
>
> Yuck. (But I suppose it's accurate.)
>
> --
> Kjell Stahl -- kst...@hem2.passagen.se
> http://hem2.passagen.se/kstahl/
> "I consider myself a nice guy. So should you."

I agree...many of the words suck when they get into swedish...
It´s like when you translate sentences in movies like:
I´ll be back - Jag kommer tillbaka ---- It sounds so WRONG!!!
--
==========================
Mathias Cederholm

Kjell Stahl

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997 14:58:08 +0100, Mathias Cederholm
<mathias....@vasteras.mail.telia.com> wrote:

[snip]

>I agree...many of the words suck when they get into swedish...
>It´s like when you translate sentences in movies like:
>I´ll be back - Jag kommer tillbaka ---- It sounds so WRONG!!!

Amen, brother.

Johan Grahnen

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997 14:58:08 +0100, it seems Mathias Cederholm
<mathias....@vasteras.mail.telia.com> wrote something like this:

<ka-snip!>

>I agree...many of the words suck when they get into swedish...

>It愀 like when you translate sentences in movies like:
>I惻l be back - Jag kommer tillbaka ---- It sounds so WRONG!!!

Try my favorite: Game Over. That one really sounds goofy..
And for a good line in LoC (I think): Kneel, or be knelt. I sure
wouldn't like to be a translator for these books.

--
Johan Grahnen (with an acute e)
anita....@mbox200.swipnet.se

Eivind Hagen Liljedahl

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

Benny V skrev i artikkelen

> > >We have some other problems to.
> > >I'm just waiting to see what the translators will do with
> > >the word "Gateway".
> >
> > I hate the way they translated the Great Blight into "Stora
> > Fördärv."
> >

> --

Like it's better in Norwegian? They translated Lanfear to Lan-
frykt, like it's what it's supposed to mean. It's a name god-damnit.
And Maidens of the Spear became Spyd-jomfruer!!!!
I don't read the Norwegian translation at all, because of the way english
and norwegian works it becomes extremly High Chant sometimes.

Magnus Itland

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

maa...@cpt6.stm.tudelft.nl (Maarten D. de Jong) wrote:

>When discussing the Wheel of Time with a few friends, I discovered it is
>really quite difficult to translate a few keywords into my native language---
>Dutch. I've read a Dutch translation of the WoT-books, but the translations
>seem needlessly theatrical. I wondered if people speaking other germanistic
>languages have the same trouble with:

>One Power

>taint
>Blight
>to channel
>Pattern
>Waygate
>Wheel of Time (especially 'wheel'!)

The Norwegian translation is a bit more old-fashioned in its
language than the original, and some of the key words are
indeed looking weird. Some of it had to be done:

There is no construction like "the Dark One" in Norwegian,
a literal translation would convey a different meaning
(namely that only one was Dark and nobody else was).
So they chose a construction equivalent to "the Darkest",
not a bad shot really.

The Blight is translated as the Land of Plague. Strange?
In Norwegian at least it looks better than "big rot"...

Stedding is translated as Secret Garden. Is there an
actual English word stedding with such a meaning?

To gentle a male channler has turned into a word which
literally means to soften. It looks strange, and could
probably been done better. ("Mildne" would be a more
literal translation than "mykne" and convey the original
euphemism. Now it looks quite squishy.)

Darkfriends are now "relatives of the Dark" or "family
of the Dark". While this may be theologically correct,
it is completely unnecessary. A literal translation is
possible and would hardly look more peculiar.

The Breaking is translated as the Destruction. A bit
over the top, perhaps.

There are also some unbelievable changes. Ogiers are
renamed Ogurs, Kari is Kahri, Tear is Rift, and the
Two Rivers are Twin Rivers.

But the Wheel of Time is correctly translated as
Tidshjulet.

--
itl...@online.no Yes! The one and only Magnus Itland.
And what, exactly, is that camel doing in my bedroom?

Dagurashibanipal

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

On 30 Dec 1997 21:32:09 GMT, maa...@cpt6.stm.tudelft.nl (Maarten D.
de Jong) wrote:

[Trouble with translations to Dutch]

Me and my fellow WoTitians I know all read the books in English, so I
can't say anything about the German translation (although I've seen it
in the bookstore: They split each Book, so they are at volume 14 by
now!).

But whenever I discuss the books with a collegue, we do this 50% in
English (We begin German, and after some time we semi-unconciously
change between English and German - I cite s/thing in English, make an
English remark and then comes a word I don't know in English, so I
continue the sentence in german... Very funny, but I fear it doen't
raise the quality of my English.
--
Greets from over there
Dagurashibanipal

For a moment, nothing happended.
Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.

MSartwell

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

Magnus Italnd wondered:

>Stedding is translated as Secret Garden. Is there an
>actual English word stedding with such a meaning?

The closest relevant word to "stedding" that I can think of is "homestead,"
which means a farm with a house and outlying buildings, such as a barn. In the
US, at least, it calls up images
of the settlement of the West and suggests a place of refuge
in a wilderness.

Of course, there's also "steadfast," a quality which is easily
conected with the Ogier.

>The Blight is translated as the Land of Plague. Strange?
>In Norwegian at least it looks better than "big rot"...

Strictly speaking, in English a blight is an infection of a plant. By
extension it has come to mean a kind of pollution. So Land of
Plague seems alright, but doesn't have the immediate tie to
the corruption of vegetation that Blight does. This is probably
what someone was after when they decided to call the Blight
the Big Rot.

Richard M. Boye'

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

Magnus Itland wrote:

> Stedding is translated as Secret Garden. Is there an
> actual English word stedding with such a meaning?

No, not really. I would think that "fictitious" words like 'stedding'
would be untranslatable. Or, that they not need to be translated.

> Darkfriends are now "relatives of the Dark" or "family
> of the Dark". While this may be theologically correct,
> it is completely unnecessary. A literal translation is
> possible and would hardly look more peculiar.

"Family of the Dark" huh? Sounds like the holiday season at my house.

> There are also some unbelievable changes. Ogiers are
> renamed Ogurs, Kari is Kahri, Tear is Rift, and the
> Two Rivers are Twin Rivers.

Tear is Rift? That's odd. So what are Tairens?

Christian R. Conrad

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

On Sun, 04 Jan 1998 15:20:57 -0500,
"Richard M. Boye'" <wa...@webspan.net> said:

> Tear is Rift? That's odd. So what are Tairens?

Dem be de Rifters. An dat be shortened to d'Rifters.

Drifters? Yep, has to be.

Christian R. Conrad

--
Sole owner of all opinions (except quotes!) expressed above.
"In the unlikely event of losing Pascal's Wager, I intend to saunter in to

Magnus Itland

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

"Richard M. Boye'" <wa...@webspan.net> wrote:
>Magnus Itland wrote:

>> There are also some unbelievable changes. Ogiers are
>> renamed Ogurs, Kari is Kahri, Tear is Rift, and the
>> Two Rivers are Twin Rivers.

>Tear is Rift? That's odd. So what are Tairens?

People from Rift, it seems. And Falme is Faelm.
Birgitte is Bergithe.

Johan Grahnen

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

On Mon, 05 Jan 1998 23:06:13 GMT, it seems itl...@online.no (Magnus
Itland) wrote something like this:

>"Richard M. Boye'" <wa...@webspan.net> wrote:
>>Magnus Itland wrote:
>
>>> There are also some unbelievable changes. Ogiers are
>>> renamed Ogurs, Kari is Kahri, Tear is Rift, and the
>>> Two Rivers are Twin Rivers.
>
>>Tear is Rift? That's odd. So what are Tairens?
>
>People from Rift, it seems. And Falme is Faelm.
>Birgitte is Bergithe.

Thank god I live in Sweden! The translation stills sounds funny, but
at least they got the names right (well, in most places). Some things
went wrong, though: The Dark One became the Black One, and the
dreadlords became blacklords. All of a sudden, we have the Forsaken
being the Lost Ones (de Förlorade, in swedish), too. Had I been Aiel,
I would have had real problems with the last one......

Mattias Lidman

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

Johan Grahnen <anita....@mbox200.swipnet.se> wrote
<34b226e5...@nntpserver.swip.net>...

> >>Tear is Rift? That's odd. So what are Tairens?
> >
> >People from Rift, it seems. And Falme is Faelm.
> >Birgitte is Bergithe.
> >
> Thank god I live in Sweden! The translation stills sounds funny, but
> at least they got the names right (well, in most places). Some things
> went wrong, though: The Dark One became the Black One, and the
> dreadlords became blacklords. All of a sudden, we have the Forsaken
> being the Lost Ones (de Förlorade, in swedish), too. Had I been Aiel,
> I would have had real problems with the last one......

Well, den Mörke for the DO and Skräck furstar for Dreadlords would be even
dumber, so you can't realy blame the translators.
Here's two more accidents that you can't realy blame the tranlators for:
In tSR when Perrin and c:o visits the tinkers camp someone (Gaul? Chiad?)
says somthing like 'we won't sleep with the Lost Ones' and runs off to camp
in the woods. This translated to swedish and then back to english would
be: we won't sleep with the Forsaken.
Another funny thing in the swedish translation is the Aiel habit to say
'shade of my life/heart' about the people they love. In swedish the word
for shade and shadow is the same, so we have Rhuarc calling his wifes
'shadow of my life'. This might seem a bit weird if you haven't read the
books in english.
What you can, however, blame the translators for are that they use realy
weird wording (at least in the first few books). If they got two words
that mean the same thing, they use the less known and less used. Like
'hirdmän' (used about Ingtars party that chased the Trollocs in tGH). I'm
not sure i would have had a clue what the word meant if I saw it in a
wordlist, or somewhere where the meaning wasn't made obvious by the way it
was mentioned.

--
Mattias Lidman
---

Karl-Johan Noren

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

In <34AAD5...@webspan.net>,

"Richard M. Boye'" <wa...@webspan.net> wrote:

> Kjell Stahl wrote:

> > >How so?
> >
> > Well, if something was blighted, we would say "fördärvad" in
> > Sweden. And "stor" means big, large, or something similar...
>
> So basically it means the "Big Rot"?

Nope. You can say that rotten food is "fördärvad", but not
the other way around.

In the way it's used here (as a noun), it's actually rather
Biblical in its implications and pretty close to
"blight". So from that stand-point it's good, but I have
trouble with the adjective hanged on, and you can't make it
into the definite form without making it unweildy (it would
be "fördärvet") and loosing some of the implications. All
IMO of course.

--
Karl-Johan Norén (Noren with acute e) -- k-j-...@dsv.su.se
http://www.dsv.su.se/~k-j-nore/

Richard M. Boye'

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

Karl-Johan Noren wrote:

> In <34AAD5...@webspan.net>,
> "Richard M. Boye'" <wa...@webspan.net> wrote:
>
> > Kjell Stahl wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, if something was blighted, we would say "fördärvad" in
> > > Sweden. And "stor" means big, large, or something similar...
> >
> > So basically it means the "Big Rot"?
>
> Nope. You can say that rotten food is "fördärvad", but not
> the other way around.

So it means the "Rotten Big"?

Sheesh. Why can't all you damned furriners speak English?

> In the way it's used here (as a noun), it's actually rather
> Biblical in its implications and pretty close to
> "blight". So from that stand-point it's good, but I have
> trouble with the adjective hanged on, and you can't make it
> into the definite form without making it unweildy (it would
> be "fördärvet") and loosing some of the implications. All
> IMO of course.

So, when you read WOT, do you read the English version or the Swedish
one?

Jouni Karhu

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

>> >People from Rift, it seems. And Falme is Faelm.
>> >Birgitte is Bergithe.

Then again, the names are obviously changed so that the speakers of
that tongue will pronounce them 'correctly'. Hell, Gorbachev is
Gorbatshov in Finland. Just a different transliteration. (Was that the
German translation, btw?)

Tear is understood to have meant something that is torn, and a rift
goes along the same lines. I think Tear is just Tear, and has nothing
to do with crying or ripping. Oh well.

How has Emond's Field been translated? I think the village got its
name from being Aemon's battlefield, thus -> Aemon's Field -> Emond's
Field. In the Finnish translation the only word that doesn't also
carry the meaning of battlefield, 'pelto', was chosen for 'field'. It
means the kind of field you use for farming. Oh well. I might be
wrong, of course :)

'I have something to say! | 'The Immoral Immortal' \o JJ Karhu
It is better to burn out, | -=========================OxxxxxxxxxxxO
than to fade away!' | kur...@modeemi.cs.tut.fi /o

Trinity

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

You know its been too long between WoT books when you start reading
a thread between Swedes and Norwegians about the miserable translations
of Robert Jordan...

...and actually find it interesting.

--
Trinity

Only eight or nine months until Book 8

Karl-Johan Noren

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

In <34B414...@webspan.net>,

"Richard M. Boye'" <wa...@webspan.net> wrote:

> Karl-Johan Noren wrote:
> > > So basically it means the "Big Rot"?
> > Nope. You can say that rotten food is "fördärvad", but not
> > the other way around.
>
> So it means the "Rotten Big"?

Nope. Check the above again. Rotten/rutten implies
blight/fördärv, but not the other way around.

> Sheesh. Why can't all you damned furriners speak English?

Because English still is inferior to Swedish. HTH!

> > In the way it's used here (as a noun), it's actually rather
> > Biblical in its implications and pretty close to "blight". So from
> > that stand-point it's good, but I have trouble with the adjective
> > hanged on, and you can't make it into the definite form without
> > making it unweildy (it would be "fördärvet") and loosing some of
> > the implications. All IMO of course.
>
> So, when you read WOT, do you read the English version or the Swedish
> one?

The English.

Kjell Stahl

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

On Wed, 07 Jan 1998 18:49:18 -0500, "Richard M. Boye'"
<wa...@webspan.net> wrote:

>Karl-Johan Noren wrote:
>>
>> In <34AAD5...@webspan.net>,

>> > So basically it means the "Big Rot"?
>>
>> Nope. You can say that rotten food is "fördärvad", but not
>> the other way around.
>
>So it means the "Rotten Big"?
>

>Sheesh. Why can't all you damned furriners speak English?
>

>> In the way it's used here (as a noun), it's actually rather
>> Biblical in its implications and pretty close to
>> "blight". So from that stand-point it's good, but I have
>> trouble with the adjective hanged on, and you can't make it
>> into the definite form without making it unweildy (it would
>> be "fördärvet") and loosing some of the implications. All
>> IMO of course.
>
>So, when you read WOT, do you read the English version or the Swedish
>one?

Both. But I prefer the English versions.

Christian R. Conrad

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

On 07 Jan 1998 21:58:41 +0100,
Karl-Johan Noren <k-j-...@dsv.su.se> said:

> "Richard M. Boye'" <wa...@webspan.net> wrote:

[The Blight = "Stora Fördärv" (umlauts --> oe, ae)]

> > So basically it means the "Big Rot"?

> Nope. You can say that rotten food is "fördärvad", but not
> the other way around.

A more generic term, correlating better to "foerdaervad", is "spoiled".

So maybe the translation back into English should be the "Big Spoil"?

Christian R. Conrad

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

On Wed, 07 Jan 1998 02:00:41 GMT,
kur...@modeemi.cs.tut.fi (Jouni Karhu) said:

[WoT names in translations]

> Then again, the names are obviously changed so that the speakers of
> that tongue will pronounce them 'correctly'. Hell, Gorbachev is
> Gorbatshov in Finland. Just a different transliteration. (Was that the
> German translation, btw?)

Almost, but not quite: Gorbatschow. I think.

[snip ]

> Emond's Field. In the Finnish translation the only word that doesn't
> also carry the meaning of battlefield, 'pelto', was chosen for 'field'.
> It means the kind of field you use for farming. Oh well. I might be
> wrong, of course :)

"Emondin Pelto", or what? ("Emondsvall" in Swedish, IIRC.)

Johan Grahnen

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

On Thu, 08 Jan 1998 16:51:30 GMT, it seems
christia...@hedengren.fi (Christian R. Conrad) wrote something
like this:

>On Wed, 07 Jan 1998 02:00:41 GMT,
>kur...@modeemi.cs.tut.fi (Jouni Karhu) said:
>
>[WoT names in translations]

<snip finnish>

>("Emondsvall" in Swedish, IIRC.)

Yepp.

Iceberg

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

Putting Bobby Beathard on hold Trinity <oha...@pop.erols.com> picked
up call-waiting and screamed . . .

Yeah and then about 5 years for the one after that. We had better hope
Jordan comes from a long-lived family because Book 12 should be due
about(lets add about 2 years additional time for each book) the year
2030. Hell, forget Jordan, I won't live that long. Absurd!

Iceberg

Paul E. Ward

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

Karl-Johan Noren wrote:
> In <34B414...@webspan.net>,

> "Richard M. Boye'" <wa...@webspan.net> wrote:
> > Karl-Johan Noren wrote:

> > Sheesh. Why can't all you damned furriners speak English?
>
> Because English still is inferior to Swedish. HTH! [snip to end]

ObObscureReferenceToADFS: KJN, that is so true. But you forgot
to give the reason. You see, it's because Sweden has the Swedish
Chef and the word "Bork!" (or is it a grunt or some other
primeval Swedish noise?)

--

Paul Ward
nomrom....@cats.NOSPAM.ucsc.edu

LdyKaurya

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

You know it's too long between books when you read David Eddings....

and LIKE it!

Or you start to figure out what Hanson and the Spice Girls are saying.

Beth McAdams
"Infinity stretched unlimitlessly" -Siouxsie and the Banshees

Kjell Stahl

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

On Fri, 09 Jan 1998 20:18:03 GMT,
anita....@mbox200.swipnet.se (Johan Grahnen) wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jan 1998 16:51:30 GMT, it seems
>christia...@hedengren.fi (Christian R. Conrad) wrote something
>like this:
>
>>On Wed, 07 Jan 1998 02:00:41 GMT,
>>kur...@modeemi.cs.tut.fi (Jouni Karhu) said:
>>
>>[WoT names in translations]
><snip finnish>
>>("Emondsvall" in Swedish, IIRC.)
>
>Yepp.

ObYM: Yuck.

Robert W. Parker

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

On 10 Jan 1998 00:26:27 GMT, ldyk...@aol.com (LdyKaurya) wrote:

>You know it's too long between books when you read David Eddings....
>

>and LIKE it!
>
>Or you start to figure out what Hanson and the Spice Girls are saying.

Both of those thoughts really scare me. Because I find that it is
happening to me. At least Aerosmith will tide me over till the new Pearl
Jam album. I don't have anything that does that for the WoT. Every
series is just so short now.
_

The eyes are the windows to the soul, and I see
that many people's are glazed over.

Bobby Parker

Magnus Itland

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

"Richard M. Boye'" <wa...@webspan.net> wrote:

>Sheesh. Why can't all you damned furriners speak English?

We can. We just don't want to.

--
itl...@online.no Yes! The one and only Magnus Itland.

Some children today have actually never tasted grass.

Magnus Itland

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

kur...@modeemi.cs.tut.fi (Jouni Karhu) wrote:

>How has Emond's Field been translated? I think the village got its

>name from being Aemon's battlefield, thus -> Aemon's Field -> Emond's

>Field. In the Finnish translation the only word that doesn't also
>carry the meaning of battlefield, 'pelto', was chosen for 'field'. It
>means the kind of field you use for farming. Oh well. I might be
>wrong, of course :)

In Norwegian they actually got that one right. Emond's Field is
translated "Emondsmark", and battlefield is "slagmark". Then
again, place names ending in -mark are very common around here.
(Then *again*, so were battles.)

Bunnythor

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

The Amazing Itland said:
>"Richard M. Boye'" <wa...@webspan.net> wrote:

>>Sheesh. Why can't all you damned furriners speak English?

>We can. We just don't want to.

Yes, we've noticed that problem...especially with the British.

--Tshen
Qodaxti Institute, 87th stratum

LdyKaurya

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

Magnus Itland:

>Some children today have actually never tasted grass.

I can say (maybe not proudly) that I have tasted grass. And it's not too bad,
from what I remember.

Beth McAdams
"Infinity stretches unlimitlessly" -Siouxsie and the Banshees

Robert Pfeifer

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

On 11 Jan 1998, LdyKaurya wrote:
}Magnus Itland:
}>Some children today have actually never tasted grass.
}
}I can say (maybe not proudly) that I have tasted grass. And it's not too bad,
}from what I remember.

Doesn't taste of all that much. Needs a teabag too.

Rob

--
"Jesus was five feet and three and a half inches long."
Rob Pfeifer - mzyg142 @ unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk

Dave Rothgery

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

Steve Moss wrote in message <01bd1eee$5a829940$ba1d...@stevem.ctaz.com>...
>Try George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones. The 2nd book is coming
>out in a couple of months.

Pretty good story, but there is one serious problem with this book.

It reads like the first third of a 2500+ page book, not one book. Even Lord
of Chaos had something of a climax and conclusion. But there wasn't even a
token death of a Minion of the Evil Overlord, or a crushing defeat that Our
Heroes barely survive.

--
Dave Rothgery WPI Computer Science '98
dave...@wpi.edu http://www.wpi.edu/~daveroth/

Steve Moss

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

Robert W. Parker <bobb...@juno.com> wrote in article
<34b7f4d4...@NNTP.ix.netcom.com>...

> On 10 Jan 1998 00:26:27 GMT, ldyk...@aol.com (LdyKaurya) wrote:

> Both of those thoughts really scare me. Because I find that it is
> happening to me. At least Aerosmith will tide me over till the
new Pearl
> Jam album. I don't have anything that does that for the WoT.
Every
> series is just so short now.

Try George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones. The 2nd book is coming

out in a couple of months.

--
Steven Moss

"Happiness is being at the top of the food chain." G.Harrison

email ste...@ctaz.com
homepage http://www.ctaz.com/~stevem/

Karl-Johan Noren

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

In <34bbce9c...@nntpserver.swip.net>,
kst...@hem2.passagen.se (Kjell Stahl) wrote:

> anita....@mbox200.swipnet.se (Johan Grahnen) wrote:
>
> >christia...@hedengren.fi (Christian R. Conrad) wrote something

> >>[WoT names in translations]

> >>("Emondsvall" in Swedish, IIRC.)
> >Yepp.
>
> ObYM: Yuck.

Actually, Emondsvall is quite good.

Or you haven't read its etymology. "vall" goes back to the
Old Norse word "val", which means battle and/or fallen (in
the meaning death). Compare eg "valplats" (archaic word for
battlefield), Valfader and valkyria.

Christian R. Conrad

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

On Fri, 09 Jan 1998 22:54:07 -0800,
"Paul E. Ward" <nom...@cats.ucsc.edu> said:

> Karl-Johan Noren wrote:

> > Because English still is inferior to Swedish. HTH! [snip to end]

> ObObscureReferenceToADFS: KJN, that is so true. But you forgot
> to give the reason. You see, it's because Sweden has the Swedish
> Chef and the word "Bork!" (or is it a grunt or some other
> primeval Swedish noise?)

It's an _American_ grunt / other primeval noise, which is presumed by
innurant Merkins to _sound_ like Swedish. It doesn't very much, AFAICH.

The only word "bork" in Swedish is the _name_ of an ice hockey coach,
Leif Bork (or is that "Boork"? I'm not sure any more; help me, guys!).
Rather fittingly for someone whose very name is a Merkin joke, he is
widely regarded as a nut case in sports circles, if I understand it all
correctly. But, OTOH, he often got _results_, which of course excuses
most (or all?) of his eccentric training methods. In the eyes of many.

(Oh, and the name of a character in an Astrid Lindgren story.)

Michael Kozlowski

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

In article <69bqlq$hfv$1...@bigboote.WPI.EDU>,
Dave Rothgery <dave...@wpi.edu> wrote:

[A Game of Thrones]

>It reads like the first third of a 2500+ page book, not one book. Even Lord
>of Chaos had something of a climax and conclusion. But there wasn't even a
>token death of a Minion of the Evil Overlord, or a crushing defeat that Our
>Heroes barely survive.

Er? What about...

... Stark's death?

Personally, I thought the book moved along at a nice pace -- faster than
Jordan, certainly.

--
Michael Kozlowski m...@cs.wisc.edu
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~mlk/sfbooks.html -- Recommended SF Reading

Dave Rothgery

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

Michael Kozlowski wrote in message <69dfda$g...@spool.cs.wisc.edu>...

>In article <69bqlq$hfv$1...@bigboote.WPI.EDU>,
>Dave Rothgery <dave...@wpi.edu> wrote:
>
>[A Game of Thrones]
>
>>It reads like the first third of a 2500+ page book, not one book.
>>Even Lord of Chaos had something of a climax and conclusion. But
>>there wasn't even a token death of a Minion of the Evil Overlord, or
>>a crushing defeat that Our Heroes barely survive.
>
>Er? What about...
>

>... Stark's death?

But that wasn't the _end_.

And yes, Ned died, but given Robb's successes, both political and military,
it was hardly a crushing defeat. Indeed, the events surrounding Ned's death
seem to have hurt the Lamnisters, rather than helped them.

>Personally, I thought the book moved along at a nice pace -- faster than
>Jordan, certainly.

I didn't think it moved slowly; it just hit about the only reasonable place
for a conclusion, and then went on for a few more chapters. After Ned died,
I figured that chapter was the end. And then I read another chapter, which
sounded like the end. This happened a few more times. I might even buy the
next book in hardcover, but I'm not expecting a conclusion of any sort until
the end of book three.

Richard M. Boye'

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

Dave Rothgery wrote:

> Michael Kozlowski wrote in message <69dfda$g...@spool.cs.wisc.edu>...
> >In article <69bqlq$hfv$1...@bigboote.WPI.EDU>,
> >Dave Rothgery <dave...@wpi.edu> wrote:
> >
> >[A Game of Thrones]
> >
> >>It reads like the first third of a 2500+ page book, not one book.
> >>Even Lord of Chaos had something of a climax and conclusion. But
> >>there wasn't even a token death of a Minion of the Evil Overlord, or
> >>a crushing defeat that Our Heroes barely survive.
> >
> >Er? What about...
> >

> >... Stark's death?
>
> But that wasn't the _end_.
>
> And yes, Ned died, but given Robb's successes, both political and military,
> it was hardly a crushing defeat. Indeed, the events surrounding Ned's death
> seem to have hurt the Lamnisters, rather than helped them.
>
> >Personally, I thought the book moved along at a nice pace -- faster than
> >Jordan, certainly.
>
> I didn't think it moved slowly; it just hit about the only reasonable place
> for a conclusion, and then went on for a few more chapters. After Ned died,
> I figured that chapter was the end. And then I read another chapter, which
> sounded like the end. This happened a few more times.

It's sorta because he had a large cast of wildly dispersed characters
and each little cluster of them had to have their own little denuement.

The real kicker was the scene with Daenerhys(sp?) and her 'offspring.'

I am curious what the deal with Arya was too. But the only scene I
really want to see happen in the series is for Catelyn Stark to
bitch-slap Cersei Lannister nine ways from thursday. That's all I ask.

However, if anything, judging from the appendix of Houses at the end,
and the sample portion of CoK, the series will only get increasingly
more complex.

> I might even buy the
> next book in hardcover, but I'm not expecting a conclusion of any sort until
> the end of book three.

Well, then you'd still be off. _A Song of Fire and Ice_ is expected to
be a tetralogy.

I'm guessing Martin is thinking in terms of _one_ huge book, broken up
into four volumes for publishing convenience.

--
Richard M. Boye' * wa...@webspan.net

http://www.webspan.net/~waldo/
"Strong as a gorilla, yet soft
and pliable like a nerf ball."

Dave Rothgery

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

Richard M. Boye' wrote in message <34BA76...@webspan.net>...
>Dave Rothgery wrote:
>> [Problems with the conclusion of A Game of Thrones]

A bit of spoiler space, probably useless.

>> I didn't think it moved slowly; it just hit about the only reasonable
place
>> for a conclusion, and then went on for a few more chapters. After Ned
died,
>> I figured that chapter was the end. And then I read another chapter,
which
>> sounded like the end. This happened a few more times.
>
>It's sorta because he had a large cast of wildly dispersed characters
>and each little cluster of them had to have their own little denuement.
>
>The real kicker was the scene with Daenerhys(sp?) and her 'offspring.'

Dany's dragons may have some interesting effects, though it doesn't change
the general outline of what was expected within a few chapters of the
first -- a civil war in the Seven Kingdoms, a foreign invasion with a
Targaryen at its head, and something, though who knows what, coming south
from north of the Wall.

>I am curious what the deal with Arya was too.

YM wrt to her capture by the man of the Night's Watch?
For some reason I'd been expecting her to free Sansa, but I get the feeling
the next book will start with her in the custody of the Lannisters.

>But the only scene I
>really want to see happen in the series is for Catelyn Stark to
>bitch-slap Cersei Lannister nine ways from thursday. That's all I ask.

Although not quite as high on my 'scenes I'd like to see' list as the same,
replacing (obRJ) Catelyn with Nynaeve and Cersei with Moghedien, that one
will be fun to see.

What I'd like to know is how a pampered 13-year old can possibly be the
vicious brat the Joffrey Lannister is. Or how he can manage to override his
mother's wishes consistently. My brothers and I couldn't manage that when
we were 13.

>However, if anything, judging from the appendix of Houses at the end,
>and the sample portion of CoK, the series will only get increasingly
>more complex.

Well, there are only three major groups in play and described to a
reasonable extent right now -- the Starks, the Lannisters, and Dany's bunch.

>Well, then you'd still be off. _A Song of Fire and Ice_ is expected to
>be a tetralogy.

Ack! Four books before a conclusion?!?! I've only had to wait for one of
RJ's (I read all six just between just before and just after LoC came out in
hardcover), and he does better endings.

>I'm guessing Martin is thinking in terms of _one_ huge book, broken up
>into four volumes for publishing convenience.

That's the idea I got, too. Which is why I really don't expect a solid
ending until the last one.

Richard M. Boye'

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

Dave Rothgery wrote:

> Richard M. Boye' wrote in message <34BA76...@webspan.net>...
> >Dave Rothgery wrote:
> >> [Problems with the conclusion of A Game of Thrones]
>
>a bit of spoiler space, probably useless.

Probably, but what der hell.

> >> I didn't think it moved slowly; it just hit about the only reasonable place
> >> for a conclusion, and then went on for a few more chapters. After Ned died,
> >> I figured that chapter was the end. And then I read another chapter, which
> >> sounded like the end. This happened a few more times.
> >
> >It's sorta because he had a large cast of wildly dispersed characters
> >and each little cluster of them had to have their own little denuement.
> >
> >The real kicker was the scene with Daenerhys(sp?) and her 'offspring.'
>
> Dany's dragons may have some interesting effects, though it doesn't change
> the general outline of what was expected within a few chapters of the
> first -- a civil war in the Seven Kingdoms, a foreign invasion with a
> Targaryen at its head, and something, though who knows what, coming south
> from north of the Wall.

Well, being the title of the series is a "Song of Fire and Ice" I'm
assuming either the Seven Kingdoms will get swacked with the a double
whammy of those....things swarming over the wall, and the invasion of
Dothraki Hordes led by Daenerhys and her kinder _or_ Robb(or some other
young male figure) will marry Daenerhys and _together_ with her Dothraki
and her dragons as well as his Seven Kingdommers will toss
those....things back over the wall.

Aside: "Targaryen." 'Taragon' is the Greek word for 'dragon'.

> >I am curious what the deal with Arya was too.
>
> YM wrt to her capture by the man of the Night's Watch?

Ja.

> For some reason I'd been expecting her to free Sansa, but I get the feeling
> the next book will start with her in the custody of the Lannisters.

Who? Arya or Sansa? If you ask me, Sansa seems the candidate most like
to to win the "Most Likely to Emulate Lysa Stark" memorial award.

Arya on the other and will end up being a pretty groovy lady.

> >But the only scene I
> >really want to see happen in the series is for Catelyn Stark to
> >bitch-slap Cersei Lannister nine ways from thursday. That's all I ask.
>
> Although not quite as high on my 'scenes I'd like to see' list as the same,
> replacing (obRJ) Catelyn with Nynaeve and Cersei with Moghedien, that one
> will be fun to see.

That one too. As soon as we met the queen named 'Cersei' I instantly
knew not to trust her.

Aside: the cover art for CoK looks very impressive.

> What I'd like to know is how a pampered 13-year old can possibly be the
> vicious brat the Joffrey Lannister is. Or how he can manage to override his
> mother's wishes consistently. My brothers and I couldn't manage that when
> we were 13.

Well, did your mother need you to control the throne? Besides Cersei
Lannister is a vain and self-centered woman, and only sees her children
as extensions of her (and Jaime's...yuck!) perfection. She just can't
deal when one of them manifests a will of his own. Besides, Joffrey
seems to be a terror, which I somehow doubt you were, and he's got a
bunch of armed goons.

> >However, if anything, judging from the appendix of Houses at the end,
> >and the sample portion of CoK, the series will only get increasingly
> >more complex.
>
> Well, there are only three major groups in play and described to a
> reasonable extent right now -- the Starks, the Lannisters, and Dany's bunch.

Well, the sampler introduced us to the family squabbles of the Greyjoys
(Theon's sister, Asha?, seeming to be in favor with their father for the
rulership of the Iron Islands), then there was all the references to
Robert Baratheon's brother marrying the daughter of the familt whose
name I cannot recall now, ya know the ones with the floral heraldry.
That family is too well describe and catloged not to het invloved
somehow, same as the Martells. We have the whole family losted, yet the
made no apprearance at all in GoT.

Then you have Catelyn's fat stupid sister, Lysa, squatting in the Vale.
_That_ situation cannot be go unresolved either.

> >Well, then you'd still be off. _A Song of Fire and Ice_ is expected to
> >be a tetralogy.
>
> Ack! Four books before a conclusion?!?! I've only had to wait for one of
> RJ's (I read all six just between just before and just after LoC came out in
> hardcover), and he does better endings.

Usually.

The ending of of CoS wasn't too nifty, IMHO.

Noell Milota

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

kate brown wrote in message <34baaf6f...@news.almac.co.uk>...

>On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:36:17 GMT, christia...@hedengren.fi
>(Christian R. Conrad) wrote:
>
>>Rather fittingly for someone whose very name is a Merkin joke, he is
>
>Does this man _know _ what merkin means? I think not.

Huh?

Apparently _I_ don't know what Merkin means. I always assumed it was
slang for American, and in that context, what he said makes perfect
sense. What are _you_ referring to?

--
Noell Milota <no...@sprintmail.com>

Noell Milota

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

David Loewe, Jr. wrote in message
<34bbfec5...@news.inlink.com>...
>>i believe it has something to do with pubic hair.
>
>Think of a toupee for your pubic mound.

Geeez! Am I _that_ naive, or are you guys trolling me?

--
Noell Milota <no...@sprintmail.com>

Dave Rothgery

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

Richard M. Boye' wrote in message <34BAD4...@webspan.net>...

>Dave Rothgery wrote:
>>
>> Richard M. Boye' wrote in message <34BA76...@webspan.net>...
>>
>>a bit of spoiler space, probably useless.
>
>Probably, but what der hell.

>> >The real kicker was the scene with Daenerhys(sp?) and her
>> > 'offspring.'
>>
>> Dany's dragons may have some interesting effects, though it
>> doesn't change the general outline of what was expected within
>> a few chapters of the first -- a civil war in the Seven Kingdoms,
>> a foreign invasion with a Targaryen at its head, and something,
>> though who knows what, coming south from north of the Wall.
>
>Well, being the title of the series is a "Song of Fire and Ice" I'm
>assuming either the Seven Kingdoms will get swacked with the a double
>whammy of those....things swarming over the wall, and the invasion of
>Dothraki Hordes led by Daenerhys and her kinder _or_ Robb(or some other
>young male figure) will marry Daenerhys

Given Robb's sense of honor, I believe every one of the Late Lord Fey's
daughters under the age of 30 would have to be dead before he'd even
consider the idea, no matter how urgent the situation.

For some reason, though, I can't help but think Dany's forces will not have
any sympathy at all for the people of the Seven Kingdoms, especially
considering her chief advisor's attitude towrad house Stark (who, by virtue
of containing most of Our Heroes, are the inevitable winners in the civil
war) and their honor.

>and _together_ with her Dothraki
>and her dragons as well as his Seven Kingdommers will toss
>those....things back over the wall.

We'll see. By the end, though, I was pretty sure that Robb was supposed to
be the Hero of this story, and that kind of ending leaves little for him to
do on the heroic side.

>> >I am curious what the deal with Arya was too.
>>
>> YM wrt to her capture by the man of the Night's Watch?
>
>Ja.
>
>> For some reason I'd been expecting her to free Sansa, but I get the
feeling
>> the next book will start with her in the custody of the Lannisters.
>
>Who? Arya or Sansa? If you ask me, Sansa seems the candidate most like
>to to win the "Most Likely to Emulate Lysa Stark" memorial award.

Arya. Sansa was already a Lannister prisoner, and she's certainly incapable
of escaping on her own.

>> >But the only scene I
>> >really want to see happen in the series is for Catelyn Stark to
>> >bitch-slap Cersei Lannister nine ways from thursday. That's all I ask.
>>
>> Although not quite as high on my 'scenes I'd like to see' list as the
same,
>> replacing (obRJ) Catelyn with Nynaeve and Cersei with Moghedien, that one
>> will be fun to see.
>
>That one too. As soon as we met the queen named 'Cersei' I instantly
>knew not to trust her.

You had to meet her first?

>Aside: the cover art for CoK looks very impressive.

Well, you're the artist.

>> What I'd like to know is how a pampered 13-year old can possibly
>> be the vicious brat the Joffrey Lannister is. Or how he can manage
>> to override his mother's wishes consistently. My brothers and I
>> couldn't manage that when we were 13.
>
>Well, did your mother need you to control the throne? Besides Cersei
>Lannister is a vain and self-centered woman, and only sees her children
>as extensions of her (and Jaime's...yuck!) perfection.

Speaking of which, doesn't it seem odd that none of the Targaryens, nor any
of Cersei and Jaime's children, seem to have shown the physical annomallys
that are rather more common in children of incest? I know that this happens
less than is popularly believed, but over the course of a few hundred years
within the same family, I'd think something bad is bound to happen. But
then, I'm no geneticist.

Another thing -- sooner or later, the Lannister kids are going to find out
who their father really is. Too many know to keep them from ever learning
the truth. So what happens then -- probably denial, but what else?

>She just can't
>deal when one of them manifests a will of his own. Besides, Joffrey
>seems to be a terror, which I somehow doubt you were, and he's got a
>bunch of armed goons.

But why would the armed goons listen to him, rather than her? Any House
Lannister is likely to employ probably aren't the type to serve him just
because he is their King -- in fact she, Jaime, and her father likely chose
them.

>> >However, if anything, judging from the appendix of Houses at the end,
>> >and the sample portion of CoK, the series will only get increasingly
>> >more complex.
>>
>> Well, there are only three major groups in play and described
>> to a reasonable extent right now -- the Starks, the Lannisters,
>> and Dany's bunch.
>
>Well, the sampler introduced us to the family squabbles of the Greyjoys
>(Theon's sister, Asha?, seeming to be in favor with their father for the
>rulership of the Iron Islands), then there was all the references to
>Robert Baratheon's brother marrying the daughter of the familt whose
>name I cannot recall now, ya know the ones with the floral heraldry.

<Gets book>
Tyrell.

>That family is too well describe and catloged not to het invloved
>somehow, same as the Martells. We have the whole family losted, yet the
>made no apprearance at all in GoT.

Ack! Who does he think he is, creating all these elaborate geneologies --
RJ or Melanie Rawn (I guess the answer to that depends on how many people
die)?

>Then you have Catelyn's fat stupid sister, Lysa, squatting in the Vale.
>_That_ situation cannot be go unresolved either.

Though that one's a gimmee. Someone will take the so-called impregnable
castle, killing Lysa. Somehow the kid will get away, and away from his
mother (after a respectable grieving period), will turn out well enough to
rule from the Eyre by the end of the books.

>> >Well, then you'd still be off. _A Song of Fire and Ice_ is expected to
>> >be a tetralogy.
>>
>> Ack! Four books before a conclusion?!?! I've only had to wait for one of
>> RJ's (I read all six just between just before and just after LoC came out
in
>> hardcover), and he does better endings.
>
>Usually.
>

>The ending of CoS wasn't too nifty, IMHO.

Agreed, the showdown with Sammael was lacking.

But the fight for the Bowl was pretty nifty, the only annoyance being two
piddling little BA holding a shield on Nynaeve. Fortunately, RJ explained
that one -- and he even killed an important minor character.

kate brown

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

(Christian R. Conrad) wrote:

>Rather fittingly for someone whose very name is a Merkin joke, he is

Does this man _know _ what merkin means? I think not.

Kate
take time out to reply

LdyKaurya

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Michael Kozlowski, this is your quote:
>m...@cs.wisc.edu

You go to a college in Wisconsin? Madison?

Beth McAdams
"Pardon me while I stick my ovular depositor down your throat and lay eggs in
your chest, but I'm not an alien!" Tom Servo, MST3K:TM

Kate Nepveu

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

"Richard M. Boye'" <wa...@webspan.net> wrote:
>Dave Rothgery wrote:

Here there be spoilers for _A Game of Thrones_.

>> I didn't think it moved slowly; it just hit about the only reasonable place
>> for a conclusion, and then went on for a few more chapters. After Ned died,
>> I figured that chapter was the end. And then I read another chapter, which
>> sounded like the end. This happened a few more times.

>It's sorta because he had a large cast of wildly dispersed characters
>and each little cluster of them had to have their own little denuement.

>The real kicker was the scene with Daenerhys(sp?) and her 'offspring.'

That was pretty cool. I wasn't hugely impressed by the book, but I
have to say that Martin does know how to do endings of a serial
novel...
--
Kate http://www.concentric.net/~knepveu/index.html

"I wish that wishes were indeed horses, and that therefore, being
beggars, we could ride."
--John Barnes, _One for the Morning Glory_

Jon Travaglia

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Ask Robert Pfeifer <mzy...@unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk> for blue key:

>On 11 Jan 1998, LdyKaurya wrote:

>}I can say (maybe not proudly) that I have tasted grass. And it's not too bad,
>}from what I remember.
>
>Doesn't taste of all that much. Needs a teabag too.

From what I recall of my experiments in grass tasting it was pretty
revolting.

Didn't stop me from trying it again though.

--
Jon Travaglia (E-mail address ROT-13d)

"So, is Silicon Heaven the same heaven as humans go to?"
"Don't be silly sir! Humans don't go to heaven, that's just
something they made up to stop you all from going nuts!"

wred...@usyd.edu.au

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Noell Milota wrote:

> kate brown wrote in message <34baaf6f...@news.almac.co.uk>...
> >On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:36:17 GMT, christia...@hedengren.fi
> >(Christian R. Conrad) wrote:
> >
> >>Rather fittingly for someone whose very name is a Merkin joke, he is
> >
> >Does this man _know _ what merkin means? I think not.
>
> Huh?
>
> Apparently _I_ don't know what Merkin means. I always assumed it was
> slang for American, and in that context, what he said makes perfect
> sense. What are _you_ referring to?
>
> --
> Noell Milota <no...@sprintmail.com>

David Loewe, Jr.

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:25:07 +1100, wred...@usyd.edu.au wrote:

>Noell Milota wrote:

>> kate brown wrote in message <34baaf6f...@news.almac.co.uk>...

>> >Does this man _know _ what merkin means? I think not.

>> Huh?

>> Apparently _I_ don't know what Merkin means. I always assumed it was
>> slang for American, and in that context, what he said makes perfect
>> sense. What are _you_ referring to?

>i believe it has something to do with pubic hair.

Think of a toupee for your pubic mound.
--

"There is no cause so right that one cannot find a
fool following it."

Evan P Langlinais

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

With a slow, stroking motion LdyKaurya (ldyk...@aol.com) proudly ejaculated:

Funny how that att. line is more fitting some times than others.

> Beth McAdams
> "Pardon me while I stick my ovular depositor down your throat and lay eggs in

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> your chest, but I'm not an alien!" Tom Servo, MST3K:TM

Minor Nit to pick, but shouldn't that be "Ovipositor?" As opposed to
"ovular depositor," which I can only figure would be an egg donor, or
someone with a _really_ unusually shaped...Nevermind.

--
| | |\ | | | ) Theudegisklos "Skwid" Sweinbrothar of the order Teuthoidia
|/| |\ |/ | |X| ( SKWID, Vulture V4 pilot ( The Humblest Mollusc
"This is stupid, and as a pseudo-intellectual, that offends me."

Doc Hogan

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Noell Milota <no...@sprintmail.com> wrote in article
<69emss$cvq$1...@newsfep1.sprintmail.com>...

> kate brown wrote in message <34baaf6f...@news.almac.co.uk>...

> Apparently _I_ don't know what Merkin means. I always assumed it was
> slang for American, and in that context, what he said makes perfect
> sense. What are _you_ referring to?

You're absolutely right. This comes from one of Thom Merrilins stories
about a couple of people from Merk (assumed to mean America) and Mosk
(assumed to mean Moscow) throwing lances of fire allthe way across the
globe (nukes)

--
Doc Hogan
Funked Up! Productions

A dirty book is rarely dusty.

David Loewe, Jr.

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:13:12 -0800, "Noell Milota"
<no...@sprintmail.com> wrote:

>David Loewe, Jr. wrote in message
><34bbfec5...@news.inlink.com>...

>>>i believe it has something to do with pubic hair.

>>Think of a toupee for your pubic mound.

>Geeez! Am I _that_ naive, or are you guys trolling me?

You must be _that_ naive, because I am not _currently_ trolling you
and a merkin is indeed 'fake pubic hair' used above one's genitalia.

Noell Milota

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

David Loewe, Jr. wrote in message
<34c01bb5...@news.inlink.com>...

Huh. That's ... uh ... interesting. You learn something new
everyday.

Though your emphasis on "currently" frightens me! ;)

--
Noell Milota <no...@sprintmail.com>

kate brown

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

On 13 Jan 1998 06:30:43 GMT, "Doc Hogan" <doch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Noell Milota <no...@sprintmail.com> wrote in article
><69emss$cvq$1...@newsfep1.sprintmail.com>...

>> kate brown wrote in message <34baaf6f...@news.almac.co.uk>...

>> Apparently _I_ don't know what Merkin means. I always assumed it was
>> slang for American, and in that context, what he said makes perfect
>> sense. What are _you_ referring to?
>

>You're absolutely right. This comes from one of Thom Merrilins stories
>about a couple of people from Merk (assumed to mean America) and Mosk
>(assumed to mean Moscow) throwing lances of fire allthe way across the
>globe (nukes)
>
>--

darling sweetie merkin-brained Doc, you might have learnt how to
format your emails but you certainly haven't learnt how to attribute.
Go away and do better.

>Funked Up! Productions

Indeed

Kate B

wolf...@game-master.com

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Dave Rothgery wrote:

> Richard M. Boye' wrote in message <34BAD4...@webspan.net>...
> >Dave Rothgery wrote:

> >and _together_ with her Dothraki
> >and her dragons as well as his Seven Kingdommers will toss
> >those....things back over the wall.
>
> We'll see. By the end, though, I was pretty sure that Robb was supposed to
> be the Hero of this story, and that kind of ending leaves little for him to
> do on the heroic side.

Personnaly I think the Hero of the Tale will be Jon Snow, Eddard's
bastard son with the nifty albino Direwolf, Ghost.

> >The ending of CoS wasn't too nifty, IMHO.
>
> Agreed, the showdown with Sammael was lacking.
>
> But the fight for the Bowl was pretty nifty, the only annoyance being two
> piddling little BA holding a shield on Nynaeve. Fortunately, RJ explained
> that one -- and he even killed an important minor character.

What did RJ say about that and what minor character are you talking
about?

Christian R. Conrad

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 11:47:24 GMT,
ka...@yell.almac.time.co.uk. (kate brown) said:

> On 13 Jan 1998 06:30:43 GMT, "Doc Hogan" <doch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Noell Milota <no...@sprintmail.com> wrote in article
> ><69emss$cvq$1...@newsfep1.sprintmail.com>...
> >> kate brown wrote in message <34baaf6f...@news.almac.co.uk>...

That's correct -- Noell (or more probably, her newsreader) _did_ write
"kate brown wrote in message <34baaf6f...@news.almac.co.uk>..." !

Since there are three '>'s before it, just as with the rest of Noell's
text, there is really no big risk we'd think Kate wrote Noell's post.

So, it was an _unnecessary_ attribution (since all of Kate's text was
snipped) -- but that, IMAO at least, is far better than too few of them!

[ S N I P contents ]

> darling sweetie merkin-brained Doc, you might have learnt how to
> format your emails but you certainly haven't learnt how to attribute.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, on the other hand, maybe Doc knows the
difference between a newspost and an e-mail, eh...?

> Go away and do better.

Be careful with phrases like that, unless you're a real expert yourself.
(Not that I'm one either; I hasten to add lest anyone think I'm suddenly
inflicted with a virtually lethal infection of hubris...)

> >Funked Up! Productions

> Indeed

In-*very*-deed, indeed... You guys partners in that company? :-)

> Kate B
> take time out to reply

There, I did. Happy?

Sarah Coit

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Dave Rothgery wrote:

> Speaking of which, doesn't it seem odd that none of the Targaryens, nor any
> of Cersei and Jaime's children, seem to have shown the physical annomallys
> that are rather more common in children of incest? I know that this happens
> less than is popularly believed, but over the course of a few hundred years
> within the same family, I'd think something bad is bound to happen. But
> then, I'm no geneticist.

That bothered me, too. Then it occurred to me that there
seems to be a healthy dose of insanity in the family. I think
mental disorders are one of the traits associated with
inbreeding.

Speaking of Targaryens, wanna bet Jon is really the son
of Lyanna and Rhaegar?

Devin L. Ganger

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

<flashy-thing!> Remember only that on Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:13:12 -0800,

in rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan Noell Milota wrote:

> Geeez! Am I _that_ naive, or are you guys trolling me?

Oooh, why do you have to make these an either/or sort of thing?

<grin>

--
Devin L. Ganger <de...@premier1.net>
Chief Systems Administrator

Bill Garrett

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

dlo...@nionslpianmk.com (David Loewe, Jr.) writes:

} <no...@sprintmail.com> wrote:
}
} >Geeez! Am I _that_ naive, or are you guys trolling me?
}
} You must be _that_ naive, because I am not _currently_ trolling you
} and a merkin is indeed 'fake pubic hair' used above one's genitalia.

I'm flabbergasted that such a word exists. Who would possibly want
to use a pubic toupee? That's in a whole new category of weird.
I mean, there are other weird words that, while they're pretty damn
weird, don't quite peg the weirdness meter like merkin does. Felching
and squicking, for example. I can understand the fecal fetishes and
dominant/submissive relationships that would lead to felching. I can
understand the desire to squick somebody. Heck, there are a few people
I'd squick right now if I could -- I might as well make them of _some_
use to me. But fake pubic hair? What could a person _possibly_ want
with fake pubic hair? Having a word for fake pubic hair is like having
a word for fake smegma... which I fully expect someone to inform me of,
now.

--
Bill Garrett "Some mornings it's not even worth it to gnaw
wfg1 @ concentric.net through the leather straps." -Emo Phillips

David Loewe, Jr.

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

On 13 Jan 1998 19:18:15 GMT, wf...@concentric.net.REMOVE (Bill Garrett)
wrote:

>dlo...@nionslpianmk.com (David Loewe, Jr.) writes:
>} <no...@sprintmail.com> wrote:

>} >Geeez! Am I _that_ naive, or are you guys trolling me?

>} You must be _that_ naive, because I am not _currently_ trolling you
>} and a merkin is indeed 'fake pubic hair' used above one's genitalia.

>I'm flabbergasted that such a word exists.

It's pretty old, IIRC.

>Who would possibly want to use a pubic toupee?

Someone who's gone bald down below? IIRC, this dates back to the time
of codpieces (now _there's_ a weird concept).

>That's in a whole new category of weird. I mean, there are other weird
>words that, while they're pretty damn weird, don't quite peg the
>weirdness meter like merkin does. Felching and squicking, for example.
>I can understand the fecal fetishes and dominant/submissive
>relationships that would lead to felching. I can understand the desire
>to squick somebody. Heck, there are a few people I'd squick right
>now if I could -- I might as well make them of _some_ use to me.

What is 'squicking'?

>But fake pubic hair? What could a person _possibly_ want
>with fake pubic hair? Having a word for fake pubic hair is like having
>a word for fake smegma... which I fully expect someone to inform me of,
>now.

Well..........................what's your clearance level? This _is_ a
national security issue. And I'd have to e-mail it to you with PGP
5.0.

Kjell Stahl

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

A little dragon whispered in my ear that
wolf...@game-master.com wrote:

>Dave Rothgery wrote:
>>
>> Richard M. Boye' wrote in message <34BAD4...@webspan.net>...

>> >The ending of CoS wasn't too nifty, IMHO.
>>
>> Agreed, the showdown with Sammael was lacking.
>>
>> But the fight for the Bowl was pretty nifty, the only annoyance being two
>> piddling little BA holding a shield on Nynaeve. Fortunately, RJ explained
>> that one -- and he even killed an important minor character.
>

>What did RJ say about that and what minor character are you talking
>about?

RJ simply stated that some people have a Shielding as a Talent.
Or something similar. And the minor character who died was
Nalesean.

--
Kjell Stahl -- kst...@hem2.passagen.se
http://hem2.passagen.se/kstahl/
"I consider myself a nice guy. So should you."

Noell Milota

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Devin L. Ganger wrote:
> <flashy-thing!> Remember only that on Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:13:12 -0800,
> in rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan Noell Milota wrote:
>
> > Geeez! Am I _that_ naive, or are you guys trolling me?
>
> Oooh, why do you have to make these an either/or sort of thing?
> <grin>

Oh gee, thanks Devin! Though I suppose I walked head first into that
one.

Who'd of thought they weren't trolling about fake pubic hair?

--
Noell Milota <no...@sprintmail.com>

Still trying to reconcile _that_ mental image!

Noell Milota

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Paul Wilkins wrote:
> Noell Milota wrote
> >David Loewe, Jr. wrote
> >>wred...@usyd.edu.au wrote
> (about merkins)

> >>Think of a toupee for your pubic mound.
> >Geeez! Am I _that_ naive, or are you guys trolling me?
>
> This isn't a troll of any sort.
> A merkin is indeed a pubic wig.
> The fact that we also use the word to reference americans
> is just the icing on the cake <grin>

That's okay, grin all you want.

By the way, you're from New Zealand, right? So let me ask you this ...
how's the great debate over moving the "Bee Hive" going? Such an
important issue, that one!

*grin*

> Refer to alt.fan.pratchett where it is a very regular piece of lore
> to those participating.

No thanks, I think I'll pass. I've already more than I ever wanted to
know about fake pubic hair, thankyouverymuch!

--
Noell Milota <no...@sprintmail.com>

Richard M. Boye'

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Dave Rothgery wrote:

> Richard M. Boye' wrote in message <34BAD4...@webspan.net>...
> >Dave Rothgery wrote:

> >>a bit of spoiler space, probably useless.
> >
> >Probably, but what der hell.
> >

> >Well, being the title of the series is a "Song of Fire and Ice" I'm
> >assuming either the Seven Kingdoms will get swacked with the a double
> >whammy of those....things swarming over the wall, and the invasion of
> >Dothraki Hordes led by Daenerhys and her kinder _or_ Robb(or some other
> >young male figure) will marry Daenerhys
>
> Given Robb's sense of honor, I believe every one of the Late Lord Fey's
> daughters under the age of 30 would have to be dead before he'd even
> consider the idea, no matter how urgent the situation.

Hmmm. Late Lord Frey? Did he die?

> For some reason, though, I can't help but think Dany's forces will not have
> any sympathy at all for the people of the Seven Kingdoms, especially

> considering her chief advisor's attitude toward house Stark (who, by virtue

> of containing most of Our Heroes, are the inevitable winners in the civil
> war) and their honor.

Ser Mormont?

His wife Maege is allied with the Starks, and his daughter Deacy(sp?) is
part of Robb's honor guard.

For some reason, I just see some sort of alliance resulting from Dany
and Robb. The double invasions from the Dothraki and those...things
would be too much to handle in three more books.

> >and _together_ with her Dothraki
> >and her dragons as well as his Seven Kingdommers will toss
> >those....things back over the wall.
>
> We'll see. By the end, though, I was pretty sure that Robb was supposed to
> be the Hero of this story, and that kind of ending leaves little for him to
> do on the heroic side.

Managing to subdue the Targaeyen Princess and her hordes and dragons,
and bringig them round would be quite heroic.

> >> YM wrt to her capture by the man of the Night's Watch?
> >
> >Ja.
> >
> >> For some reason I'd been expecting her to free Sansa, but I get the feeling
> >> the next book will start with her in the custody of the Lannisters.
> >
> >Who? Arya or Sansa? If you ask me, Sansa seems the candidate most like
> >to to win the "Most Likely to Emulate Lysa Stark" memorial award.
>
> Arya. Sansa was already a Lannister prisoner, and she's certainly incapable
> of escaping on her own.

Hmmm. I hate her anyway.

What's the deal with little Jeyne Poole? Think she's dead too? They had
her taken away, and since they're not above murdering nuns, I'd guess
the Lannisters wouldn't mind putting little girls to death either.

Vile people.

> >Aside: the cover art for CoK looks very impressive.
>
> Well, you're the artist.

Huh.

> >> What I'd like to know is how a pampered 13-year old can possibly
> >> be the vicious brat the Joffrey Lannister is. Or how he can manage
> >> to override his mother's wishes consistently. My brothers and I
> >> couldn't manage that when we were 13.
> >
> >Well, did your mother need you to control the throne? Besides Cersei
> >Lannister is a vain and self-centered woman, and only sees her children
> >as extensions of her (and Jaime's...yuck!) perfection.
>
> Speaking of which, doesn't it seem odd that none of the Targaryens, nor any
> of Cersei and Jaime's children, seem to have shown the physical annomallys
> that are rather more common in children of incest?

No, not really. The Targaryens (or whatever) presumably had a volatile
enough succession that it wasn't a straight line of
mother-father/brother-sister to son-daughter/brother-sister. In any
event, did you check all the dynastic wars they had? They were probably
not without their demented relations. And Rheagar, the Dragon Prince was
a basket case, and Viserys wasn't exactly a model of eugenic purity
either.

> I know that this happens
> less than is popularly believed, but over the course of a few hundred years
> within the same family, I'd think something bad is bound to happen. But
> then, I'm no geneticist.

Well, Jaime & Cercei's spawn, Joffrey, Myrcella et al are only one
generation deep in consanguinuity. But, the Pharoahs of Egypt practiced
brother-sister marriage as well, and they produced some gorgeous
brillant rulers, and some hideous retarded freaks, but on the whole,
they produced unremarkable humans.

> Another thing -- sooner or later, the Lannister kids are going to find out
> who their father really is. Too many know to keep them from ever learning
> the truth. So what happens then -- probably denial, but what else?

I'd think they'd probably prefer to be pure Lannister, actually. Cercei
obviously had to ingrain a hatred for Robert and his line in her
children just by her scorn of him.

> >She just can't
> >deal when one of them manifests a will of his own. Besides, Joffrey
> >seems to be a terror, which I somehow doubt you were, and he's got a
> >bunch of armed goons.
>
> But why would the armed goons listen to him, rather than her? Any House
> Lannister is likely to employ probably aren't the type to serve him just
> because he is their King -- in fact she, Jaime, and her father likely chose
> them.

Presumably, either Robert of Cercei gave Joffrey his own goon squad when
he was young, and they're loyal to him. He _is_ the king. She's merely
the queen dowager. If nothing else, consider this. By our standards,
Joffrey is a little kid. By middle ages standards, he's still young, but
closer to adulthood then we'd consider him to be. There's no reason not
to follow him.

> >> Well, there are only three major groups in play and described
> >> to a reasonable extent right now -- the Starks, the Lannisters,
> >> and Dany's bunch.
> >
> >Well, the sampler introduced us to the family squabbles of the Greyjoys
> >(Theon's sister, Asha?, seeming to be in favor with their father for the
> >rulership of the Iron Islands), then there was all the references to

> >Robert Baratheon's brother marrying the daughter of the family whose

> >name I cannot recall now, ya know the ones with the floral heraldry.
>
> <Gets book>
> Tyrell.

Ya, Ser Loras, the Knight of Flowers, if Sansa doesn _not_ receive the
Lysa Stark Memorial award will probably end up with him.

> >That family is too well describe and catlogued not to get invloved

> >somehow, same as the Martells. We have the whole family losted, yet the
> >made no apprearance at all in GoT.
>
> Ack! Who does he think he is, creating all these elaborate geneologies --
> RJ or Melanie Rawn (I guess the answer to that depends on how many people
> die)?

These geneologies are far more involved than anything RJ has tossed at
us. It's very appropriate toward creating the feel of the book that he's
going for.

> >Then you have Catelyn's fat stupid sister, Lysa, squatting in the Vale.
> >_That_ situation cannot be go unresolved either.
>
> Though that one's a gimmee. Someone will take the so-called impregnable
> castle, killing Lysa. Somehow the kid will get away, and away from his
> mother (after a respectable grieving period), will turn out well enough to
> rule from the Eyre by the end of the books.

No, no no.

The Arryns will remain the ace-in-the-hole. One of the Knights will
finally get Lysa, take her in hand, pull her tit out of her son's mouth,
give them both a good spanking, and _then_ they'll come to the rescue.

> >> RJ's (I read all six just between just before and just after LoC came out in
> >> hardcover), and he does better endings.
> >
> >Usually.
> >
> >The ending of CoS wasn't too nifty, IMHO.
>
> Agreed, the showdown with Sammael was lacking.
>
> But the fight for the Bowl was pretty nifty, the only annoyance being two
> piddling little BA holding a shield on Nynaeve. Fortunately, RJ explained
> that one -- and he even killed an important minor character.

Yeah, but CoS was very unsatisfying in that it left three of the main
charcaters without a clear conclusory episode, and two of them were left
in absolute cliff-hangers, Mat and Egwene.

CoS gets a thumbsdown for not doing enough with two of my favorite
characters, Perrin and Egwene.

kate brown

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:47:14 GMT, christia...@hedengren.fi
(Christian R. Conrad) wrote:
>There, I did. Happy?

Eek. That'll teach me to play with newsgroup postings when I'm
supposed to be attending to emails

Kate

Bill Garrett

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

} wrote:
}
} >That's in a whole new category of weird. I mean, there are other weird
} >words that, while they're pretty damn weird, don't quite peg the
} >weirdness meter like merkin does. Felching and squicking, for example.
} >I can understand the fecal fetishes and dominant/submissive
} >relationships that would lead to felching. I can understand the desire
} >to squick somebody. Heck, there are a few people I'd squick right
} >now if I could -- I might as well make them of _some_ use to me.
}
} What is 'squicking'?

Drilling a hole through somebody's skull and fucking their brains.

} >But fake pubic hair? What could a person _possibly_ want
} >with fake pubic hair? Having a word for fake pubic hair is like having
} >a word for fake smegma... which I fully expect someone to inform me of,
} >now.
}
} Well..........................what's your clearance level?

Cabal Top Secret/Special Projects (TINC). What did you expect the
Executive Director, Operations (TINEDO) to have?

Dave Rothgery

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Richard M. Boye' wrote in message <34BBF1...@webspan.net>...

>Dave Rothgery wrote:
>>
>> Richard M. Boye' wrote in message <34BAD4...@webspan.net>...

>> >Probably, but what der hell.
>> >

>> >Dothraki Hordes led by Daenerhys and her kinder _or_ Robb(or some other
>> >young male figure) will marry Daenerhys
>>
>> Given Robb's sense of honor, I believe every one of the Late Lord Fey's
>> daughters under the age of 30 would have to be dead before he'd even
>> consider the idea, no matter how urgent the situation.
>
>Hmmm. Late Lord Frey? Did he die?

Nope, but because of events in the war where Robert gained the throne,
Catelyn and Ned's family have often referred to him as the Late Lord Frey.
IIRC, his armies showed up, in support of Robert and Ned, just after they'd
won.

>> >Ja.

>> >Who? Arya or Sansa? If you ask me, Sansa seems the candidate most like
>> >to to win the "Most Likely to Emulate Lysa Stark" memorial award.
>>
>> Arya. Sansa was already a Lannister prisoner, and she's certainly
incapable
>> of escaping on her own.
>
>Hmmm. I hate her anyway.

I guess I find it hard to hate a child that hasn't done anything Evil.
Now if she were an adult, acting like senseless fluff would be rather
reprhensible, but she's not.

>What's the deal with little Jeyne Poole? Think she's dead too? They had
>her taken away, and since they're not above murdering nuns, I'd guess
>the Lannisters wouldn't mind putting little girls to death either.

Well, Jaime and Cersei don't mind putting little boys to death, so I can't
think that they'd be above doing the same to little girls.

>Vile people.

And how.

So how'd they manage to produce a character like Tyrion, who by all
appearances is fairly respectable person, whose only major flaw is loyalty
to his family.

>> Another thing -- sooner or later, the Lannister kids are going to find
out
>> who their father really is. Too many know to keep them from ever
learning
>> the truth. So what happens then -- probably denial, but what else?
>
>I'd think they'd probably prefer to be pure Lannister, actually. Cercei
>obviously had to ingrain a hatred for Robert and his line in her
>children just by her scorn of him.

But if they're not Robert's kids, then they can't even try to claim they're
the legitimate rulers of the Seven Kingdoms.

>> >rulership of the Iron Islands), then there was all the references to
>> >Robert Baratheon's brother marrying the daughter of the family whose
>> >name I cannot recall now, ya know the ones with the floral heraldry.
>>

>> Tyrell.
>
>Ya, Ser Loras, the Knight of Flowers, if Sansa doesn _not_ receive the
>Lysa Stark Memorial award will probably end up with him.

We've already had one dead Stark, and one crippled, though. Another would
be a bit much for this family to take. But yeah, I thought that match
seemed a likely one too. Except that his family's suppot for King Renly
complicates things.

>> >Then you have Catelyn's fat stupid sister, Lysa, squatting in the Vale.
>> >_That_ situation cannot be go unresolved either.
>>
>> Though that one's a gimmee. Someone will take the so-called impregnable
>> castle, killing Lysa. Somehow the kid will get away, and away from his
>> mother (after a respectable grieving period), will turn out well enough
>> rule from the Eyre by the end of the books.
>
>No, no no.
>
>The Arryns will remain the ace-in-the-hole. One of the Knights will
>finally get Lysa, take her in hand, pull her tit out of her son's mouth,
>give them both a good spanking, and _then_ they'll come to the rescue.

Lysa is way too confident that her castle can't be taken. It's rather
reminiscent of how confident Elaida is that Tar Valon can't be taken. This
kind of thing begs for a proof by contradiction.

>> >The ending of CoS wasn't too nifty, IMHO.
>>
>> Agreed, the showdown with Sammael was lacking.
>>
>> But the fight for the Bowl was pretty nifty, the only annoyance
>> being two piddling little BA holding a shield on Nynaeve.
>> Fortunately, RJ explained that one -- and he even killed an
>> important minor character.
>
>Yeah, but CoS was very unsatisfying in that it left three of the main
>charcaters without a clear conclusory episode, and two of them were left
>in absolute cliff-hangers, Mat and Egwene.

I don't see what could have happened with Egwene to leave her on less of a
cliff-hanger, though. There certainly wasn't time to retake the tower, and
unmasking Halima probably would have put three major combat scenes in the
same book. Involving Perrin with the showdown with Sammael would have been
contrived; so I don't know what he could do either. I suppose Mat could
have uneventfully walked off to the farm with everyone else, but he has to
meet the DotNM sooner or later.

>CoS gets a thumbsdown for not doing enough with two of my favorite
>characters, Perrin and Egwene.

Hmm. Compared to FoH and LoC, Perrin was practically the star of the show.
I think that we'll see very little of Mat (yeah, he'll meet the DotNM, but
we won't see much beyond that) and Rand (who has no clear objectives at this
point) in PoD.

RJ's been kind of cyclic with the male major characters (other than Rand,
who necessarily has had a lot of air time in every book but TDR). Perrin
saw a lot of action in the first four books; not much in the next 3. Mat
didn't do all that much in TGH, TSR, or FoH (at least, not until the end) so
it's not surprising that he's had more air time in TDR, LoC, and aCoS. Of
course, we've never seen anything from Lan's PoV.

We've seen a lot of Nynaeve in every book, and a lot of Egwene and Elayne in
every book but EotW. Siuan began her slow growth from 'character mentioned
in passing' to 'major character' in TGH, while Avi did the same in TDR,
though she's still in the process of becoming a major character. And
Moiraine's disappearance at the end of FoH, and near-absense from TGH,
throws another wrench into things.

Noell Milota

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Doc Hogan wrote in message <69hb77$54l$2...@gte2.gte.net>...
>kate brown <ka...@yell.almac.time.co.uk.> wrote in article
><34bbf2c8...@news.almac.co.uk>...

>> On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:47:14 GMT, christia...@hedengren.fi
>> (Christian R. Conrad) wrote:
>> >There, I did. Happy?
>>
>> Eek. That'll teach me to play with newsgroup postings when I'm
>> supposed to be attending to emails
>>
>Ok, maybe I'm just being incredibly dense today, but I haven't
understood a
>thing of this thread since my original post. Can someone please
help?!

Okay, here's the rundown: Kate thought you had attributed incorrectly
in your post, and she called you on it. But you actually _had_
attributed correctly [1], so Christian called _her_ on it. Then she
realized she had made a mistake and said "Eek". Then you cried for
help because you didn't understand anything that had gone on.

Or were you talking about the offshoot of this thread that's concerned
with fake pubic hair?

>BTW If someone happens to locate a gelatenous mass (approx 4lbs) of
gray,
>wrinkled thought-processing matter, please ship to me COD. I hate it
when
>my brain goes AWOL!

My own brain fled in terror after hearing what "merkin" is, so I doubt
I'd have any luck finding yours. Sorry!

--
Noell Milota <no...@sprintmail.com>

[1] You snipped all quoted material from Kate, but left in her
attribution. Other than that, there was nothing wrong with it.

Benjamin Adams

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Steve Moss wrote:

> What's interesting about the Game of Thrones is catching the
> parallels between historic persons living during England's War of
> the Roses. For example, the Lannisters coreespond to the House of
> York. Tyrion Lannister is clearly based on Richard III. Both were
> brave and cunning but deformed and (maybe) treacherous. Jaime
> Lannister, Tyrion's older brother, is basaed on Richard III older
> brother. Edward IV. Both were tall, athletic, and excellent
> warriors but vain and more than capable of cold blooded murder (both
> were regicides, Edward IV supposedly had Henry VI murdered and J.
> Lannister had Robert Barthanes killed and tried to whack the
> youngest Stark).
>
> Anyone else identified any further parallells? I'm trying to find
> the matches for the House of Lancaster.

The Targaryens?

-Ben Adams

Paul Wilkins

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

Bunnythor wrote
>The Amazing Itland wrote
>>Richard M. Boye wrote
>>>Sheesh. Why can't all you damned furriners speak
>>>English?
>>We can. We just don't want to.
>Yes, we've noticed that problem...especially with the
>British.

The British just don't want to speak English, even though they can?

<bangs palm of hand against ear, shakes head>

Did I just hear you right? <seriously confused look>

Paul Wilkins

Paul Wilkins

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

Noell Milota wrote
>David Loewe, Jr. wrote
>>wred...@usyd.edu.au wrote
(about merkins)

>>>i believe it has something to do with pubic hair.
>>Think of a toupee for your pubic mound.
>Geeez! Am I _that_ naive, or are you guys trolling me?

This isn't a troll of any sort.
A merkin is indeed a pubic wig.
The fact that we also use the word to reference americans is just the
icing on the cake <grin>

Refer to alt.fan.pratchett where it is a very regular piece of lore to
those participating.

Paul Wilkins

Ian Davis

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

Bill Garrett wrote:

> Having a word for fake pubic hair is like having
> a word for fake smegma... which I fully expect someone to inform me of,
> now.

I would, but Cool Whip has powerful lawyers.

Ian Davis.

John S. Novak

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

On 13 Jan 1998 19:18:15 GMT, Bill Garrett <wf...@concentric.net.REMOVE> wrote:

>Having a word for fake pubic hair is like having
>a word for fake smegma... which I fully expect someone to inform me of,
>now.

"Microsoft Office '97"

--
John S. Novak, III j...@cris.com
The Humblest Man on the Net

Devin L. Ganger

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

<flashy-thing!> Remember only that on Tue, 13 Jan 1998 14:06:08 -0800,

in rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan Noell Milota wrote:

> Devin L. Ganger wrote:
> > <flashy-thing!> Remember only that on Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:13:12 -0800,
> > in rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan Noell Milota wrote:
> >

> > > Geeez! Am I _that_ naive, or are you guys trolling me?
> >

> > Oooh, why do you have to make these an either/or sort of thing?
> > <grin>
>
> Oh gee, thanks Devin!

Any time. <sweeping bow>

> Though I suppose I walked head first into that one.

I'd agree, but this is my one nice day this week, so I won't.

Let me just say that if *I* hadn't followed up on it, someone
else would have, and they probably wouldn't have been as gentle.

> Who'd of thought they weren't trolling about fake pubic hair?

It *is* disturbing, in a humorous sort of way.

Magnus Itland

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

ldyk...@aol.com (LdyKaurya) wrote:
>Magnus Itland:

>>Some children today have actually never tasted grass.

>I can say (maybe not proudly) that I have tasted grass. And it's not too bad,
>from what I remember.

There are actually several different grasses who are non-toxic in
moderate quantities, and who have widely different taste and aroma.
I preferred those who tend towards acidic.

--
itl...@online.no Yes! The one and only Magnus Itland.
Some children today have actually never tasted grass.

Doc Hogan

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

kate brown <ka...@yell.almac.time.co.uk.> wrote in article
<34bbf2c8...@news.almac.co.uk>...
> On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:47:14 GMT, christia...@hedengren.fi
> (Christian R. Conrad) wrote:
> >There, I did. Happy?
> >

> Eek. That'll teach me to play with newsgroup postings when I'm
> supposed to be attending to emails
>
> Kate
> take time out to reply

Ok, maybe I'm just being incredibly dense today, but I haven't understood a
thing of this thread since my original post. Can someone please help?!

BTW If someone happens to locate a gelatenous mass (approx 4lbs) of gray,

wrinkled thought-processing matter, please ship to me COD. I hate it when
my brain goes AWOL!

--

Doc Hogan
Funked Up! Productions

DOS 5.0 Yesterday's operating system, today!

Steve Moss

Devin L. Ganger

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

<flashy-thing!> Remember only that on 14 Jan 1998 00:06:27 GMT,

in rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan John S. Novak wrote:

> On 13 Jan 1998 19:18:15 GMT, Bill Garrett <wf...@concentric.net.REMOVE> wrote:
>
> >Having a word for fake pubic hair is like having
> >a word for fake smegma... which I fully expect someone to inform me of,
> >now.
>
> "Microsoft Office '97"

No, that's just real shit.

Magnus Itland

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

"Noell Milota" <no...@sprintmail.com> wrote:
>David Loewe, Jr. wrote in message
><34bbfec5...@news.inlink.com>...
[what is a "merkin"?]

>>Think of a toupee for your pubic mound.
>
>Geeez! Am I _that_ naive, or are you guys trolling me?

You are that naïve. On the other hand, the demand for
these have been low after antibiotica for syphilis became
effective.

Richard M. Boye'

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

Sarah Coit wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Dave Rothgery wrote:
> >
> > Speaking of which, doesn't it seem odd that none of the Targaryens, nor any
> > of Cersei and Jaime's children, seem to have shown the physical annomallys
> > that are rather more common in children of incest? I know that this happens

> > less than is popularly believed, but over the course of a few hundred years
> > within the same family, I'd think something bad is bound to happen. But
> > then, I'm no geneticist.
>
> That bothered me, too. Then it occurred to me that there
> seems to be a healthy dose of insanity in the family. I think
> mental disorders are one of the traits associated with
> inbreeding.

Yessiree bob. Plus the sucession was volatile enough to shake up the
generations every now and again.

> Speaking of Targaryens, wanna bet Jon is really the son
> of Lyanna and Rhaegar?

Um, no.

I can see the merits of this theory, but I doubt that Ned would have
allowed the division between him and Catelyn to fester for all those
years if the story of him and Ashara Danae(sp?) was just a cover-story.

Richard M. Boye'

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

Dave Rothgery wrote:

> Richard M. Boye' wrote in message <34BBF1...@webspan.net>...

(snip Dave, me, Dave, me)

> >> Given Robb's sense of honor, I believe every one of the Late Lord Fey's
> >> daughters under the age of 30 would have to be dead before he'd even
> >> consider the idea, no matter how urgent the situation.
> >
> >Hmmm. Late Lord Frey? Did he die?
> >
> Nope, but because of events in the war where Robert gained the throne,
> Catelyn and Ned's family have often referred to him as the Late Lord Frey.
> IIRC, his armies showed up, in support of Robert and Ned, just after they'd
> won.

Oh, that's right.

> >> Arya. Sansa was already a Lannister prisoner, and she's certainly incapable
> >> of escaping on her own.
> >
> >Hmmm. I hate her anyway.
>
> I guess I find it hard to hate a child that hasn't done anything Evil.
> Now if she were an adult, acting like senseless fluff would be rather
> reprhensible, but she's not.

How old is she? 11? 12? She's old enough (by their standards) to be
acting sensibly. None of this putting Prince Goldenrod over family
loyalty.

> >What's the deal with little Jeyne Poole? Think she's dead too? They had
> >her taken away, and since they're not above murdering nuns, I'd guess
> >the Lannisters wouldn't mind putting little girls to death either.
>
> Well, Jaime and Cersei don't mind putting little boys to death, so I can't
> think that they'd be above doing the same to little girls.

But this is somehwhat different from tossing the little kid off the
roof. That was a quick decision, to hide a disgusting secret. the
'disappearance' of Jeyne Poole was a decision calmly thought in in
councils of state.

> So how'd they manage to produce a character like Tyrion, who by all
> appearances is fairly respectable person, whose only major flaw is loyalty
> to his family.

I'm guessing because he's so unlike their 'golden perfection' that they
never had him hang around much.

> >> Another thing -- sooner or later, the Lannister kids are going to find out
> >> who their father really is. Too many know to keep them from ever learning
> >> the truth. So what happens then -- probably denial, but what else?
> >
> >I'd think they'd probably prefer to be pure Lannister, actually. Cercei
> >obviously had to ingrain a hatred for Robert and his line in her
> >children just by her scorn of him.
>
> But if they're not Robert's kids, then they can't even try to claim they're
> the legitimate rulers of the Seven Kingdoms.

They have the wealth. They have the support. They have the military
support (as of now) They have the throne.

Who cares?

> >> Tyrell.
> >
> >Ya, Ser Loras, the Knight of Flowers, if Sansa doesn _not_ receive the
> >Lysa Stark Memorial award will probably end up with him.
>
> We've already had one dead Stark, and one crippled, though. Another would
> be a bit much for this family to take.

Not for a series with such gothically shakespearean tones.

> But yeah, I thought that match
> seemed a likely one too. Except that his family's suppot for King Renly
> complicates things.

Well, yes and no. It seems that the Seven Kingdoms are well underway
toward splitting up again. I'd say the days of the High King ruling from
Kings Landing are over.

> Lysa is way too confident that her castle can't be taken. It's rather
> reminiscent of how confident Elaida is that Tar Valon can't be taken. This
> kind of thing begs for a proof by contradiction.

Hmm.

But after seeing what a pain in the ass it was for Catelyn to get up to
the Aerie, I can't see how it _would_ fall. Unless they were starved
out.

> >Yeah, but CoS was very unsatisfying in that it left three of the main
> >charcaters without a clear conclusory episode, and two of them were left
> >in absolute cliff-hangers, Mat and Egwene.
>
> I don't see what could have happened with Egwene to leave her on less of a
> cliff-hanger, though. There certainly wasn't time to retake the tower, and
> unmasking Halima probably would have put three major combat scenes in the
> same book.

Well, he could have visited her a few more times, watching her get her
act together and _then_ left off with her submitting to Halima.

> Involving Perrin with the showdown with Sammael would have been
> contrived; so I don't know what he could do either. I suppose Mat could
> have uneventfully walked off to the farm with everyone else, but he has to
> meet the DotNM sooner or later.

At least Mat got more 'face-time' in CoS. Egwene got to do nothing,
really, except find out Myrelle's secret and then get a headache.

Drew Gillmore

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

Noell Milota <no...@sprintmail.com> wrote
: Doc Hogan wrote in message

<snip Doc asks for Help>
<snip Noell's perfunctory explanation>

:
: My own brain fled in terror after hearing what "merkin" is, so I doubt

: I'd have any luck finding yours. Sorry!

Well folks, I'm happy to let you know that they both showed up on my
doorstep last night, shivering with rain and cold, and begging to be used.

So I threw some electric diodes and some other nifty stuff that I'm not
real sure of onto them and crosswired them into my computer.

Needless to say, they are warm and happy and wiggling with glee.

Thanks for your contribution.

--
Kid Probability dr...@cats.ucsc.com

I would send them back, (keeping them from drying out is a pain) but I
can't get them to stay in the box I was going to use to ship them in. Now
they just run and hide under the bed if I even *seem* like I might be
trying to ship them off.

Noell Milota

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

Drew Gillmore wrote in message
<01bd2144$4cf41800$9c807280@gillmore>...

>Noell Milota <no...@sprintmail.com> wrote
>: Doc Hogan wrote in message
>
><snip Doc asks for Help>
><snip Noell's perfunctory explanation>
>
>: >BTW If someone happens to locate a gelatenous mass
>: >(approx 4lbs) of gray, wrinkled thought-processing matter,
>: >please ship to me COD. I hate it when my brain goes AWOL!
>:
>: My own brain fled in terror after hearing what "merkin" is, so I
>: doubt I'd have any luck finding yours. Sorry!
>
>Well folks, I'm happy to let you know that they both showed up
>on my doorstep last night, shivering with rain and cold, and
>begging to be used.

Phew! Glad to know my poor little frightened brain had sense enough
to run to your place, Drew. I was afraid it might have run off to The
Loy's place, and it's suffered enough post-traumatic shock already.

>So I threw some electric diodes and some other nifty stuff that I'm
>not real sure of onto them and crosswired them into my computer.

That might not have been such a good idea. Your computer may never be
the same again.

>Needless to say, they are warm and happy and wiggling with glee.

Wiggling? My brain is _wiggling_?

It never wiggled for _me_!

>Thanks for your contribution.

>I would send them back, (keeping them from drying out is a pain)
>but I can't get them to stay in the box I was going to use to ship
>them in. Now they just run and hide under the bed if I even
>*seem* like I might be trying to ship them off.

Heh. My brain's a little smarter than I thought!

Wait a minute, I think I just ...

Ah, never mind. Just keep it happy until I get there, 'kay?

--
Noell Milota <no...@sprintmail.com>

Rob Strong

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

Oh, God.

The mention of syphilis has just reminded of a story that
my video productions teacher regaled me and a few friends
with. A paraphrased version follows:

"Syphilis is not a disease native to humans. It was
originally spread to humans through sexual intercourse
with sheep."

I don't know how widespread that knowledge is, but for
those of you who didn't, you do now. Remember: the
more you know.

--
Robert Nelson Strong
"Ghost? I thought you said goat."

Emma Pease

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

In <34BD41...@webspan.net> "Richard M. Boye'" <wa...@webspan.net> writes:

>Sarah Coit wrote:

>> Speaking of Targaryens, wanna bet Jon is really the son
>> of Lyanna and Rhaegar?

>I can see the merits of this theory, but I doubt that Ned would have

>allowed the division between him and Catelyn to fester for all those
>years if the story of him and Ashara Danae(sp?) was just a cover-story.

Unless he promised Lyanna never to reveal Jon's parentage to anyone.
Remember that certain people would have no compunction about murdering
any Targaryen irregardless of who else they were related to.

Emma
--
\----
|\* | Emma Pease Net Spinster

Robert Pfeifer

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

On 13 Jan 1998 23:36:11 GMT, wf...@concentric.net.REMOVE (Bill Garrett)
wrote:

}dlo...@nionslpianmk.com (David Loewe, Jr.) writes:
}
}} What is 'squicking'?
}
}Drilling a hole through somebody's skull and fucking their brains.

I am clearly in the presence of someone with a rather wide vocabulary.
So tell me - what does grogan mean?

Rob

--
"Jesus was five feet and three and a half inches long."
Rob Pfeifer - mzyg142 @ unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~mzyg142/

Sarah Coit

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

On 14 Jan 1998, Emma Pease wrote:

> In <34BD41...@webspan.net> "Richard M. Boye'" <wa...@webspan.net> writes:
>
> >Sarah Coit wrote:
>
> >> Speaking of Targaryens, wanna bet Jon is really the son
> >> of Lyanna and Rhaegar?
>
> >I can see the merits of this theory, but I doubt that Ned would have
> >allowed the division between him and Catelyn to fester for all those
> >years if the story of him and Ashara Danae(sp?) was just a cover-story.
>
> Unless he promised Lyanna never to reveal Jon's parentage to anyone.
> Remember that certain people would have no compunction about murdering
> any Targaryen irregardless of who else they were related to.

Thank you. Aside from the promise which has been eating Ned
for the past 15 years, there are also intimations that Lyanna
died in childbirth (Lyanna, "lying in her bed of blood", when
"bloody bed" is later used by the Maegi as an expression for
childbirth), the fact that she was under guard by half the
Kingsguard (why would they try to hold Lya prisoner while
their king and prince were being slaughtered? Answer: they
were protecting a possible heir to the throne.) Also, keep
in mind that Catelyn fixed on Ashara's "haunting violet eyes"
(or some such) when purple eyes are a characteristic trait.
Not that this proves anything, but Ned is obviously hiding
something big. The only thing I can think of that would
make him besmirch his honor and strain his marriage is the
life of an infant (he only agreed to "confess" when they threatened
Sansa, and he never forgave the murder of the Targaryen
children) and a promise which he made to Lyanna. And
claiming a child as his bastard is the perfect lie: no
man would claim such a thing if it weren't true, and
Robert had no problem accepting it.

Mark Loy

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

In article <34BD6504...@geocities.com>, Rob Strong
<balt...@geocities.com> wrote:

> The mention of syphilis has just reminded of a story that
> my video productions teacher regaled me and a few friends
> with. A paraphrased version follows:
>
> "Syphilis is not a disease native to humans. It was
> originally spread to humans through sexual intercourse
> with sheep."

Ewe!--what a disgusting thought.

ML

LdyKaurya

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Robert Pfeifer:
>Doesn't taste of all that much. Needs a teabag too.

chocolate......definately chocolate.

Beth McAdams
"I'm going to stick my ovular depositor down your throat and lay eggs in your
chest, but I'm not an alien!" -Tom Servo, from MST3K:TM

LdyKaurya

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

LdyKaurya

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Speaking of series to read, may I warn thee not to read the Magic of Recluse
Saga.......I read the first book, and thought that the end moved way to fast,
and it had no closure what so ever. A really good series is "The Diaries of the
Family Dracul" by Jeanne Kelgoradias...I think. It's in the horror section,
under K. Anything by H. P. Lovecraft, or any of the World of Darkness books,
put out by White Wolf publishing, who does the World of Darkness games (Mage,
Vampire, Werewolf, Changeling, etc.) S*^_^*S

LdyKaurya

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Karl-Johan Noren

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

In <34BD6504...@geocities.com>,
Rob Strong <balt...@geocities.com> wrote:

> The mention of syphilis has just reminded of a story that
> my video productions teacher regaled me and a few friends
> with. A paraphrased version follows:
>
> "Syphilis is not a disease native to humans. It was
> originally spread to humans through sexual intercourse
> with sheep."

Your video production teacher is most likely wrong. Syphilis
was introduced to Europe by the first sailors coming back
from America, after having made love with/raped native
American women.

Combine this with that sheep are Old World animals.

--
Karl-Johan Norén (Noren with acute e) -- k-j-...@dsv.su.se
http://www.dsv.su.se/~k-j-nore/
- To believe people are as stupid as one believes is
stupider than one can believe

It is loading more messages.