More Leap Con Information--*Important*!

Terri M. Librande

Aug 15, 1994, 7:08:19 PM8/15/94

This event will be assigned seating! They are going to start
random selection starting September 15th to keep it fair for all.
If you send a check or M.O. before September 15th you'll be on
the first draw for seats.

Secondly, if you want to sit by a specific friend, the freind's
name must be included in your order.

It worked wonderfully at Indy Leap and it worked well last year
at the big con.

The organizers of this convention are the same wonderful folks who
brought you the con last year--Adina Ringler, Denise Brophy, etal.
They were solely responsible for Scott and Dean's appearance--I have
been told that no one should expect them to be at the event and if
they do show up it's the icing on the cake. You should want to
attend to meet your freinds first and save yourself disappointments.

If you have any questions, send me email and I'll do my best to
relay messages and get you an answer.

Also!!! Please include a Self addressed stamped envelope with the
order. This helps the con staff get the info to you asap!

Terri in Cleveland
--
"Girls who have glasses have lots & lots of energy!" Al--Single Drop of Rain
Terri Librande aa...@cleveland.Freenet.edu--Assistant Sysop

who's that?

Aug 16, 1994, 11:36:15 PM8/16/94
ea...@po.CWRU.Edu (Elizabeth A. Hlabse) wrote:
>Anyway, here's the information about this years QL con in California.
>Date: February 18-19, 1995
>Place: Burbank Airport Hilton
>Cost: $40 per person for the weekend
>Mail your membership to:
> Leaptime, Inc.
> P.O. Box 16495
> N. Hollywood, CA 91615-6495
>Membership is limited to 500 people so get your memberships in early.

This immediately brings up a major question in my mind. Just what are
we getting for $40? Last year's con in LA was $25 in advance and $40
at the door, and we had tentative guest stars and programming
announced right from the beginning. We also got the cooler cups with
the Con logo on them included in the price. $40 feels pretty steep in
comparison.

And this brought up other questions:

Terri M. Librande (aa...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu) wrote:
: The organizers of this convention are the same wonderful folks who

: brought you the con last year--Adina Ringler, Denise Brophy, etal.
: They were solely responsible for Scott and Dean's appearance--I have
: been told that no one should expect them to be at the event and if
: they do show up it's the icing on the cake. You should want to
: attend to meet your freinds first and save yourself disappointments.

As I recall hearing last year, Harriet and Lyndell were responsible
for getting Dean to attend the convention, and I know it was Dean who
got Scott to show up. Is Lyndell involved again this year?

Scott and Dean appeared for free because the convention was to benefit
several charities that they and Don Bellisario and Deborah Pratt
designated. I don't see any mention of this convention being a
charity event - is this a for-profit incorporation?

Also, I don't see a mention of Sally Smith in there. Is she involved
in this convention? If not, why not? And Joyce, her co-chair? Who
is on the board of directors of this corporation? If this is the same
group of people who ran the Quantum Con 94 convention, why is there a
new name for the corporation? I suppose this might have something to
do with changing to a for-profit status, but I'd really like to know
what's happening with my money and just who is involved before I send
anything in.

AEB
--
Well, if we're gonna go down in flames, I'll help you pick out
the records.

Terri M. Librande

Aug 17, 1994, 7:11:54 AM8/17/94

I believe that they are using the same charities and it's a not
for profit fan run con. The reason things are more this year is
that the hotel is more expensive this year.

Sally Smith and JOyce Hatcher are not involved in this staff.

The corporation name is now Leap Time, Inc. If you want to
also put that under a magnifying glass, SASE them and ask your
questions directly. This con is for the fans, by the fans,
as it was in the old days with STar Trek and still is in some
cases.

There will be guest, but none annoucnedc right now--they've barely
figured out where to have the con and the cost and $$ for
expenses and what ...You KNOW! A con doesn't happen over night
no matter what. (Above I meant there will be guests. )

I just post what I"m told to -- of course there will be an AIDS
charity and an enviornmental one.

Personally, we're flying over to L.A. to be a part of supporting
Quantum Leap. If we get guests and Scott and Dean, that'll be
nice--but it's seeing our freinds from the net that counts the
most.

Michelle Duncan

Aug 18, 1994, 9:25:11 AM8/18/94
In article p...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu, aa...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Terri M. Librande) writes:

>Sally Smith and JOyce Hatcher are not involved in this staff.

That's really too bad. I had the pleasure of meeting them at the very
first con and those two ladies worked their butts off (something they didn't have
to do since it was a Creation run con).

>The corporation name is now Leap Time, Inc. If you want to
>also put that under a magnifying glass, SASE them and ask your
>questions directly.

Youch! Was this snappy remark really necessary? eni...@cs.bu.edu was just
asking questions. I haven't had a chance to think about the con yet, so I
didn't post, but I did wonder to myself why the price had gone up from last
year and why the name had changed. I can't imagine why you would take offense
so quickly to a simple question...

>This con is for the fans, by the fans,

I think this is great a concept. Still, the fact remains, that anytime you
send money in for something (especially $40 + a trip to L.A.) you have a right
to know what it's going for and what you'll be getting out of it. There has
been no mention of what will fill the entire weekend. All that was said was
getting together with friends from the net.

>There will be guest, but none annoucnedc right now--they've barely
>figured out where to have the con and the cost and $$ for
>expenses and what ...You KNOW! A con doesn't happen over night
>no matter what. (Above I meant there will be guests. )

Understandable that it doesn't "just happen" but there must be events in mind
or they wouldn't have booked the hotel for the entire weekend. How about
a listing of even *possible* events?

>I just post what I"m told to -- of course there will be an AIDS
>charity and an enviornmental one.

I'd still like to know more before I commit $40, plus hotel, plus airfare...

>Personally, we're flying over to L.A. to be a part of supporting
>Quantum Leap. If we get guests and Scott and Dean, that'll be
>nice--but it's seeing our freinds from the net that counts the
>most.

That makes for an awful expensive reunion and the statement above leads me to
believe there isn't much planned.

Are you only depending on the net.people for attendance? I spend MUCH less
time on the net than I used to which means I (and I'm sure I'm not the only
lurker) would know no one. If I go, I would like to be able to relive some
of the magic that the show created, not just get together with people I don't
know.

I know you said you only post what you're told, but could you pass on any
concerns or questions that get posted so that we *might* get some answers?
Thanks.
---

Michelle 'micki' Duncan * mi...@novell.com * Novell Information Services

Proud member of Northern California Collie Rescue
Remember...
There are no bad dogs - only bad owners

Terri M. Librande

Aug 20, 1994, 3:42:30 PM8/20/94

I"m sorry if the previous post was snippy or snappy in any way.
We're moivng and on top of that there was simply just an irritibiltiy
factor that I couldn't figure out the morning I posted it. Sorry.

I've talked to Denise and she will let me know ASAP who will be
attending. I kind of figure on Rich Whiteside and others --some
of which were at the con last year. You can pretty well guarantee
that everyone will be asked that came last year, and barring
other factors they might attend.

The 40.00 is steep, but the hotel is more expensive than the venue
was last year. This is what I was told.

I still say please attend, to support QL and to see your long
distance friends. If you have friends off the net Please spread
the news and keep the lines of communication open. this con is
for everyone.

Terri in Clevelnad

Vivs Laliberte (Scott)

Aug 21, 1994, 8:12:21 AM8/21/94
I've a question... The phrase 'Support QL' keeps being used in connection
to the Con... I suppose that there will be some minor press, but
possibly not, surely Trek Con's don't really get any here, and I
would think in LA less so... So just what do you mean by this?
I have worked Con's (infact I worked representing the fasion
show at the last C-WRETCH-ON leap-con, and generally helped out
both years.) and I understand that you can't always predict far in
advance who will attend... But the non-guest related activitees
could be presented... And the charities being selected ahead would
help your advertising...
On a personal side, are you a board member of this new organization?
I met Joyce and Sally, and you and a few of your friends as well,
at various times over the first 2 cons... And quite honestly the fact
that they are gone is disturbing to me... I'll be talkin to them on
that... And I'll not get into the rest here in public... I'll just
say to everyone, know what you are getting, and exactly where the
proceeds are going, before you send your $$$...
Scott Laliberte

John Snyder

Aug 24, 1994, 2:50:24 PM8/24/94
Bill Hall (bill...@netcom.com) wrote:
-> This year's convention will also be a charity event, with funds going to:
-> NIRS -- Dean's favorite charity
-> All Baby's Count -- Deborah's
-> Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids -- Scott's
-> L.A. Mission -- Donald's
-> same as last year, unless one of the celebrities requests another.

Cool.

Speaking of last year, how much was donated to each of the charities
after Quantum Con 94?

I can see it as a great inducement to join the con.
"Last year we gave $X,XXX, see if can exceed that amount this year!"

--
The only languages I could speak fluently were American and
English...although I could get along in Canadian, in a pinch.

eo...@netcom.com | Practice Random Kindness /~~~~~~~~~~~~~\ /
CI$: 70313,3111 | * and < D A R W I N ><
PGP 2.2 User | \|/ Senseless Acts of Beauty \_____________/ \
_l _l _l _l

Jennifer

Aug 25, 1994, 5:28:32 PM8/25/94
Bill Hall <bill...@netcom.com> writes:

>This year's convention will also be a charity event, with funds going to:
> NIRS -- Dean's favorite charity
> All Baby's Count -- Deborah's
> Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids -- Scott's
> L.A. Mission -- Donald's
>same as last year, unless one of the celebrities requests another.

I've never heard of those charities --- the Aids one and the Mission seem
obvious. Can you tell me about the other two --- what is NIRS and what is All
Baby's Count (it sounds vaguely pro-life!!).
Jennifer

Steve Boyd

Aug 25, 1994, 9:03:29 PM8/25/94
In article <billhallC...@netcom.com>, bill...@netcom.com (Bill Hall) says:

>This year's convention will also be a charity event, with funds going to:
> NIRS -- Dean's favorite charity
> All Baby's Count -- Deborah's
> Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids -- Scott's
> L.A. Mission -- Donald's
>same as last year, unless one of the celebrities requests another.
>
>The $40 registration fee is for 2-days attandence, more on the agenda
>will be announced as things begin to firm up. As some of the others, I
>will try to keep the newsgroup up-to-date on new announcements on behalf
>of a couple of the board members.
>
>Bill

)sigh( West coast, west coast.. Dagnabbit, I'm sick and tired of L.A.
getting all the glory. Howabout an East Coast Con? D.C. would be good,
as it is centrally located and has lots of hotels, but I would be willing
to settle for either New York or maybe Boston, or even Atlanta...
Howabout it, East Coast Leapers? Can we get this off the ground?
(Or should I say "accellerator"? :>)

<BTW, Yes, Cheryl, I finally found it. Stupid slow freakin'(mutter mutter)
net.admins.. :> )

Stuck in Arlington;

Steve

Pamela Baker

Aug 26, 1994, 1:51:27 PM8/26/94
Steve Boyd <bo...@lmgapo1.hq.af.mil> writes:

>)sigh( West coast, west coast.. Dagnabbit, I'm sick and tired of L.A.
>getting all the glory. Howabout an East Coast Con? D.C. would be good,

WEll, there a small Leap In in PA in October...no major guests though, just
like a get together . Who has the info on this one? (I can't afford it, Indy
bankrupted me <g>)
Pam

H. Lesser

Aug 27, 1994, 12:20:21 AM8/27/94
I now have the info on EastLeap, If anyone wants a copy they can send me
E-mail with their snail mail address and I'll send them off a copy.

(this is also a test to see if my newsreader can send a messege to this
newsgroup, Please let me know if you see it.)

Yours from between leaps,

Helen

Martyn Dryden

Aug 27, 1994, 6:59:46 AM8/27/94

>)sigh( West coast, west coast.. Dagnabbit, I'm sick and tired of L.A.
>getting all the glory. Howabout an East Coast Con?

What about us in the UK? Closest we've ever got is seeing Scott
on breakfast TV.

Wolf+ She said the man in the gaberdine suit was a spy;
I said Be careful, his bow tie is really a camera

Steve Boyd

Aug 28, 1994, 6:13:21 PM8/28/94
In article <Cv6x7...@cix.compulink.co.uk>, mdr...@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Martyn Dryden") says:

>>)sigh( West coast, west coast.. Dagnabbit, I'm sick and tired of L.A.
>>getting all the glory. Howabout an East Coast Con?
>
>What about us in the UK? Closest we've ever got is seeing Scott
>on breakfast TV.

Because I happen to be living in the U.S. Mid-atlantic area, that's why.:>
If I was in the U.K., (actually, as I soon hope to be), I'd support you
on that one.

>Wolf+ She said the man in the gaberdine suit was a spy;
> I said Be careful, his bow tie is really a camera

Nice Quote. Paul Simon, "america".

Steve "It's not cheating, she reminds me of you"
-Gin Blossoms, "Cheatin'"
Can't you just hear Al say that, though?

David Ingersoll

Aug 28, 1994, 11:49:14 PM8/28/94

Don't forget about Philly! We've got the biggest convention center(next to
Javits in New York) and plenty of hotel space too!:-)

Dave

Pamela Baker (pamel...@delphi.com) wrote:

David Ingersoll 107 Annenberg Hall
Senior Technician Temple University
Department of Radio-TV-Film Philadelphia, PA 19122
(215) 204-1495

Grizabella

Aug 29, 1994, 6:58:51 PM8/29/94
When talking to a friend last night, he told me about some of
the pins that he has... one of them says "What exactly did you
mean by "Oh Boy!", Mr. Data?" and the other says "How do you
know I'm not Sam Beckett?" I'm trying my hardest to get the
guy to send me the latter of the two, but it's not working.
Anyway, he told me that he got these pins at a general Sci-Fi
convention held every year in the Dallas/Waco/something like that
area. (He goes to Texas A&M in College Station). He said it
was going to be sometime in November, I believe. Anyway... it's
not a Quantum-Con, but they do have QL paraphenalia.

As an aside, I bought the "Official Quantum Leap Book" or
whatever it's called, the other day. Since I've only been
watching QL religiously 3 times a day since January, and
since my color tv died in May, I've only seen most of the
episodes on my black and white tv... it was amazing seeing
the pisctures from some of these episodes, because I never
pictured the colors that were used. (For example, I never
would have imagined that the costumes in "Leaping in Without
A Net" were green. I always assumed they were pink or something. :) )
It's a cool book-- but I *do* wish it had the last couple of
seasons in it.
--

Meows and kisses from the GlamourCat...
()_() || "Ask a woman what she thought, and nine times out of ten,

Bill Hall

Aug 30, 1994, 12:00:41 AM8/30/94
To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what they are ... I'll see what I can
find out.

Bill

Kate Orman

Aug 30, 1994, 6:57:50 PM8/30/94
In article <33tp7b$5...@news.cs.tulane.edu> jor...@cs.tulane.edu (Grizabella) writes:
>When talking to a friend last night, he told me about some of
>the pins that he has... one of them says "What exactly did you
>mean by "Oh Boy!", Mr. Data?" and the other says "How do you
>know I'm not Sam Beckett?"

[snip]

No fair making me fall around laughing when I'm working in a library!

--
Kate Orman at Macquarie University Library
techno techno bloody techno darling

jw2...@nyssa.swt.edu

Sep 1, 1994, 5:19:40 PM9/1/94
I just wanted to say that I heard they were going to make a new edition
of the book and update it with the last 2 seasons!--bye!

GillianE

Sep 2, 1994, 2:23:02 PM9/2/94
In article <xayzdHn.p...@delphi.com>, Pamela Baker
<pamel...@delphi.com> writes:

>WEll, there a small Leap In in PA in October...no major guests though,
just
>like a get together . Who has the info on this one? (I can't afford it,
Indy
>bankrupted me <g>)

Gee Pam, you must be psychic. You wrote this a few days *before* Dean
called Eastleap co-chair Nancy Henderson to tell her he would be out of
the country and wouldn't be able to attend. Or does Dean not count as a
major guest? <G> Currently the only scheduled speakers are Ginjer Buchanan
of Ace and Melissa Crandall (author of the upcoming QL novel "Search and
Rescue"), though this may change.

And though it's true that Eastleap will of necessity be on a very small
scale, it really shouldn't be described as "like a get together". There
will be a dealers' room, charity auction and other activities that I can't
remember off-hand.

Jill

Freda Lee Whaley

Sep 2, 1994, 7:07:10 PM9/2/94

I got a bunch of pins when I joined a QL fan club. I got the "How do I
know your not Sam Beckett?" and "How do you know I'm not Sam Beckett?"
plus a couple of others. Joining a fan club is a good way to find out
what good stuff is out there that you can get. :-)
--
Freda Whaley *** wha...@mail.firn.edu *** fb...@cleveland.freenet.edu

Pensacola, Florida Where all good leapers go to get some sun.
"How do I know you're not Sam Beckett?"

Susan Proctor

Sep 3, 1994, 12:24:18 AM9/3/94
Being a novice fan of Quantum Leap I was wondering where can you get
things like t-shirts, mugs, pins, etc. if you can't make it to one of the
cons?

Susan Proctor
proc...@delphi.com

Reiter

Sep 3, 1994, 1:35:50 PM9/3/94
Martyn Dryden (mdr...@cix.compulink.co.uk) wrote:

: >)sigh( West coast, west coast.. Dagnabbit, I'm sick and tired of L.A.

Hey, and what of us in Israel. I think we should have a con in Europe
somewhere, that way, those of us who aren't on the wrong side of the
atlantic can have some fun too (plus, we can actualy find out if there
_are_ any Austrian Leapers <g>).

Kobi

Pamela Baker

Sep 3, 1994, 10:01:55 PM9/3/94
GillianE <gill...@aol.com> writes:

>scale, it really shouldn't be described as "like a get together". There

I'm sorry Jill--I was looking for a way to differentiate it from a big Con
with the show's stars, like those in L.A. I guess i didn't put it very well.
You're right--it's more than a get-together, it does have tat stuff.
Anyway, I don't think I knew Dean had even been invited till Wednesday (I
didn't know till Wednesday, nt her hadn't been invited till..oh well you get
it). And I'll bet Nancy was so thrill by the call (if not WHAT Dean had to say)
Is she getting a new tape for her answering machine now? <g>
Pam

JABarett

Sep 4, 1994, 9:00:18 PM9/4/94
Susan, there is a company called 800-TREKKER that sells a variety of
merchandise. 800-TREKKER is also their phone number. Call and they'll send
you a catalog. They have several QL-related items available.

julie

Marguerite Duane

Sep 5, 1994, 1:48:40 AM9/5/94
In article <347qi6$s...@search01.news.aol.com>, gill...@aol.com (GillianE)
wrote:

> In article <xayzdHn.p...@delphi.com>, Pamela Baker
> <pamel...@delphi.com> writes:
>
> >WEll, there a small Leap In in PA in October...no major guests though,
> just
> >like a get together . Who has the info on this one? (I can't afford it,
> Indy
> >bankrupted me <g>)
> >

> And though it's true that Eastleap will of necessity be on a very small
> scale, it really shouldn't be described as "like a get together". There
> will be a dealers' room, charity auction and other activities that I can't
> remember off-hand.
>
> Jill

Hello!

I sent away for some info on EastLeap and this is the word I received:

Date: October 21-23
Location: Comfort Inn, Essington, Pa
Cost: $30 for the weekend
$49 +tax for a hotel room with up to 4 adults, if booked by Oct 1st

They give the following address to send away for registration material:

EastLeap
23 East Glenolden Ave.
Apartment C
Glenoldden, Pa 19036

It took about two weeks for me to receive the material and I included a
self-addressed return envelope. I'm only passing on the info, so any
questions
should be directed to the sponsors of the Con and not to my address. I
hope
this helps.

If you are thinking about going to the EastLeap and would be interested in
carpooling and/or splitting the cost of a hotel room, please feel free to
get in touch with me. I will be leaving from Ithaca, NY, most likely on
Friday
afternoon. If any of you are on the way, I would be more than happy to
pick
you up. Respond to my e-mail address.

Keep Leaping!

Marguerite Duane
mr...@cornell.edu

Terri M. Librande

Sep 5, 1994, 10:24:10 AM9/5/94

Nancy had one of those answering machines with a chip istead of
a tape so she had to settle for a tape recording of the actual
message! She did keep it, though. I think it's tremendous that
the man even called her personally like that! I guess it goes
to show that the guys do care!

Terri in Cleveland

Marcus Limosani

Sep 9, 1994, 6:07:16 PM9/9/94
Gday jaba...@aol.com

05 Sep 94 12:00, jaba...@aol.com wrote to All:

jc> Susan, there is a company called 800-TREKKER that sells a variety
jc> of merchandise. 800-TREKKER is also their phone number. Call and
jc> they'll send you a catalog. They have several QL-related items
jc> available.

Is there another number that thos not in the US can contact them on??

TTYL

Marcus Limosani.

mar...@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au

QUANTUM LEAP QUOTE:

I'm only human.
That's a matter of opinion.
-- Diane and Sam, "A Hunting We Will Go"
--
FidoNet: Marcus Limosani 3:633/262
Internet: Marcus....@f262.n633.z3.fidonet.org

JABarett

Sep 13, 1994, 3:31:08 PM9/13/94
In article <850_940...@unique.pronet.com>,
Marcus....@f262.n633.z3.fidonet.org (Marcus Limosani) writes:

>>Is there another number that thos not in the US can contact them on??

I can't find another hone number, but I do have an address for the
company: 800-TREKKER, P.O. Box 13131, Dept. T-2, Reading, PA 19612-3131. I
hope that helps.

julie