August Party (w/date this time)

ri...@onramp.net

Nov 8, 1994, 9:16:01 PM11/8/94

If you're a Trekkie
Stop
Reading
Now!

On the other hand, for the Star Trek fans out there...
There was a time when all the Star Trek there was, was three seasons,
79 episodes. The show was canceled, and anyone you asked could tell
you --

Canceled TV series never reappear.

This was the time in which Star Trek conventions began. There were no
movies to discuss, no novels to criticize, no new episodes to watch.
Nevertheless, fans gathered together to share their obsession. If there
was no new Star Trek, they would make their own.

The fans didn't watch Star Trek, the fans were Star Trek. A fan built a
copy of the bridge of the Enterprise. Fans invented a publishing industry
for everything from anthologies to novels to the original Star Trek
Concordance. And in 1972, fans gathered together for the first time
simply to celebrate Star Trek.

A couple of years later, Star Trek conventions came to Washington
(actually the University of Maryland). More than a thousand people
spent the first weekend of August, 1975 together. They didn't need
actors to make it a Star Trek convention, because the fans were Star Trek.
And they still are!

Join your fellow fans at a convention like no other. Where the people
who are guests at other conventions (like Peter David and Howie Weinstein)
are on the committee. Where you aren't the audience...

You are the convention!
When: August 4-6 1995
Where: Hilton, Gaithersburg, MD
How much:
$15 - until 12/31/94
$18 - until 6/31/95
$19.95 after that and at the door
(because no convention is worth more than $20)
Dealers' Tables are 6' x 30'' and cost $50, limit 4 per dealer
Hotel Rooms $55

Star Trek fans come from a different heritage from fans of things like
soap operas and rock bands. We gathered together to raise a television
show from the dead, and we succeeded, beyond our wildest dreams. Join us
to celebrate that heritage.
30 years of Star Trek and fandom - our six, 5 year missions
The Space Program and Star Trek-the right stuff meets the final
frontier
Teleconferences in the tradition of the Roddenberry Phone Call
Replays of past August Parties including Roddenberry calls, Sundae
Shows, Costumes
Masquerade for costumers from beginners to experts
New Sundae Show production written by Peter David
Filksongs for listening and for singing
Miscellaneous astronauts, writers, congressional staffers, etc.
who are also fans
Our open con suite for conversation and munching
Dealers, Art show
Film and video
Join us as we celebrate the real stars of Star Trek...you
Our Address (and checks payable to) : The August Party
P.O. Box 203
Brentwood, MD 20722-0203
Email: ri...@onramp.net (Internet)
71260,3321 (Compuserve)