Wedding Invitation

Jo Walton

Feb 13, 2001, 8:38:33 AM2/13/01
Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

It's at the Swan-at-Hay Hotel, in Hay on Wye, Wales. For people who don't
know about Hay, it's the town of books. The place is full of second hand
bookshops. It's in the middle of very beautiful countryside, between Brecon
and Hereford. There's lots of information about it (and pictures of the
Swan) at http://www.hay-on-wye.com. The Swan has two bars and a restaurant,
and a function room with a bar, which is going to be available for us all
day Saturday.

The general plan is that people arrive on Friday evening and mingle in the
bars. Then on Saturday there will be some fixed point events in the
function room -- a wedding ceremony, maybe a reading of my "Tam Lin" play
if I can get enough volunteers, some poetry reading, some panels (again,
please volunteer in email), champagne and cake, and the rest of the time
people will be free to mingle and talk or wander out into the bookshops.
There will be food available in the Swan, but not provided, except for the
champagne and cake. On Sunday it'll be even less organised - the bookshops
will be open and we'll just sit around in the bar. But if people are
interested we might organise trips to local castles or ruined priories.
(There's a castle right in Hay. It has bookshops in it.)

The Swan has 19 bedrooms. Children under 12 are free in rooms with their
parents. They don't take bookings for one night only in July, so if you
stay there you'll have to stay two nights. There are also a plethora of B&B
places locally. I'm not organising central booking. The Swan's phone number
is (01497) 821188 (that's 044 1497 821188 from outside Britain) and the
other places have information on the website. It's just barely possible to
get to Hay on public transport (train to Hereford and then bus) but it's
more sensible to drive. It might be possible to arrange some carsharing and
lifts from Hereford. Nearest airport is Cardiff, but it's often more
practical to fly to Heathrow.

Who's invited? You are if you're reading this. Do come, we'd love to see
you and it'll be fun. Oh, and about six non-fannish friends-and-relations.
Please let me know if you intend to come. We're very flexible on numbers
but we really do need to know how many, and the sooner the better. Email me
possibles and definites.

Acceptances may be kept on a web page. This invitation will be put on
a web page with some photos soon.

--
Jo J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk
I kissed a kif at Kefk

Andrew Plotkin

Feb 13, 2001, 1:14:21 PM2/13/01
Jo Walton <J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
> wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
> into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Yipe!

Okay, I'll look at airfare prices.

Congratulations or something.

No, definitely congratulations.

--Z

*
* Re-elect Al Gore in 2004.

Mary Kay Kare

Feb 13, 2001, 2:34:38 PM2/13/01

> Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
> wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
> into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Congratulations and best wishes.

> The Swan has 19 bedrooms. Children under 12 are free in rooms with their
> parents. They don't take bookings for one night only in July, so if you
> stay there you'll have to stay two nights. There are also a plethora of B&B
> places locally. I'm not organising central booking. The Swan's phone number
> is (01497) 821188 (that's 044 1497 821188 from outside Britain) and the
> other places have information on the website.

When we were there we stayed at the Kilvert and I can recommend it. We
had a lovely room.

I wish we could come...

MKK

--
"Books you've bought and shelved but not yet read emit a gentle, beneficial
radiation, and when you finally do read them they're almost old friends."

Marcus L. Rowland

Feb 13, 2001, 2:45:24 PM2/13/01
In article <982071...@bluejo.demon.co.uk>, Jo Walton
<J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk> writes

>Acceptances may be kept on a web page. This invitation will be put on
>a web page with some photos soon.

Jo, I'd like to go if I can, although I may have problems since I'm off
to the USA for Gencon later that week - any idea of the Swan's room
rates?
--
Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures - The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game

Mary Kay Kare

Feb 13, 2001, 2:57:38 PM2/13/01
In article <4HVwsiAU...@ffutures.demon.co.uk>, "Marcus L. Rowland"
<mrow...@ffutures.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <982071...@bluejo.demon.co.uk>, Jo Walton
> <J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk> writes
> >
> >Acceptances may be kept on a web page. This invitation will be put on
> >a web page with some photos soon.
>
> Jo, I'd like to go if I can, although I may have problems since I'm off
> to the USA for Gencon later that week - any idea of the Swan's room
> rates?

I am not Jo, but I have all this Hay on Wye stuff still bookmarked from
when we went.

Price Per Person / Per Day
Bed & Breakfast

Special Breaks
Single Room
£50.00

£60.00
Standard Double Room
£32.50

£48.00
Superior Double or Twin Room
£37.50

£53.00
Executive Double or Twin Room
£45.00

£60.00
Family Room
£45.00

£60.00

For more details see:http://www.hay-on-wye.com/swan/accomm.htm

Kevin J. Maroney

Feb 13, 2001, 4:20:16 PM2/13/01
J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton) wrote:
>Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
>wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
>into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Um. In American English, "boink" means something quite specific which
you didn't mention on your weekend schedule.

Anyway, mazel tov!

--
Kevin Maroney | kmar...@ungames.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction

James Nicoll

Feb 13, 2001, 5:00:52 PM2/13/01
In article <q69j8t8nl9sj9c2ds...@4ax.com>,

Kevin J. Maroney <kmar...@ungames.com> wrote:
>J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton) wrote:
>>Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
>>wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
>>into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.
>
>Um. In American English, "boink" means something quite specific which
>you didn't mention on your weekend schedule.

Ah. The UK is wall to wall torrid sex. In fact, if you don't
proposition someone within five minutes of meeting them, it is
as rude as if you failed to address a perfect stranger on the
London tube.

James "Helpful" Nicoll

Jo Walton

Feb 13, 2001, 4:43:27 PM2/13/01

mrow...@ffutures.demon.co.uk "Marcus L. Rowland" writes:

> In article <982071...@bluejo.demon.co.uk>, Jo Walton
> <J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk> writes
> >
> >Acceptances may be kept on a web page. This invitation will be put on
> >a web page with some photos soon.
>
> Jo, I'd like to go if I can, although I may have problems since I'm off
> to the USA for Gencon later that week - any idea of the Swan's room
> rates?

It's all on the web page. Go to http://www.hay-on-wye.com and then
click on "accommodation", which has the Swan and lots of other choices.

Kris Hasson-Jones

Feb 13, 2001, 4:55:28 PM2/13/01
"Kevin J. Maroney" wrote:

> J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton) wrote:
> >Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
> >wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at
> >both ends into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.
>
> Um. In American English, "boink" means something quite specific
> which you didn't mention on your weekend schedule.

Sometimes it does. Not always. If I'm not mistaken Jo is using it
in the sense used on a few newsgroups I'm aware of: a weekend party
of the people who frequent the newsgroup.
--
Kris Hasson Jones sni...@pacifier.com

Alison Hopkins

Feb 13, 2001, 5:12:58 PM2/13/01

James Nicoll wrote in message <96caqk$ltu$1...@panix2.panix.com>...

And do remember to *always* stand on the left when travelling on an
escalator on the Tube.

Ali

Kip Williams

Feb 13, 2001, 6:27:48 PM2/13/01
Jo Walton wrote:

> Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
> wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
> into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Awwwww, regrets and best wishes.

--
--Kip (Williams)
amusing the world at http://members.home.net/kipw/

Steven H Silver

Feb 13, 2001, 10:33:23 PM2/13/01
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:38:33 GMT, J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton)
wrote:

>Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
>wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
>into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Mazel Tov!

Steven

Kristopher

Feb 13, 2001, 11:35:50 PM2/13/01
Jo Walton wrote:

> Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to
> our wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and
> overflowing at both ends into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Congratulations. If only I could get to Wales.

Kristopher

David Dyer-Bennet

Feb 14, 2001, 12:31:56 AM2/14/01
J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton) writes:

> Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
> wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
> into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Congratulations! (or am I forgetting a previous announcement and a
previous congratulation? in which case add "again")
--
David Dyer-Bennet / Welcome to the future! / dd...@dd-b.net
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/ Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/

Dorothy J Heydt

Feb 14, 2001, 2:39:42 AM2/14/01
In article <982071...@bluejo.demon.co.uk>,

Jo Walton <J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
>wedding...

Congrats!

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com
http://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt

Leif Magnar Kj|nn|y

Feb 14, 2001, 4:16:44 AM2/14/01
>Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
>wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
>into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Happy day!

Pity I can't travel anywhere outside of local mass-transit range this year.
I'll raise a glass and be with you in spirit (or spirits).

--
Leif Kj{\o}nn{\o}y | "Its habit of getting up late you'll agree
www.pvv.org/~leifmk| That it carries too far, when I say

David G. Bell

Feb 14, 2001, 5:44:54 AM2/14/01
On Tuesday, in article <3A89AD4F...@pacifier.com>
sni...@pacifier.com "Kris Hasson-Jones" wrote:

Well, Jo _is_ getting married, so one assumes the alternative meaning
will be scheduled for some time over the weekend. :)

--
David G. Bell -- Farmer, SF Fan, Filker, and Punslinger.

We suffer as a society and a culture when we don't pay the true value of
goods and services delivered. We create a lack of production. Less good
music is recorded if we remove the incentive to create it. -- Courtney Love

Eimear Ni Mhealoid

Feb 14, 2001, 10:41:09 AM2/14/01

Jo Walton <J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
> wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
> into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Sadly, I don't think I have any hope of going to this. Congrats and best
wishes for a happy and interesting future life together.

--
Eimear Ni Mhealoid

Dave Weingart

Feb 14, 2001, 11:05:52 AM2/14/01
One day in Teletubbyland, kmar...@ungames.com said:
>Um. In American English, "boink" means something quite specific which
>you didn't mention on your weekend schedule.

I just assumed that Jo was being *very* friendly ;)
--
73 de Dave Weingart KA2ESK Consonance 2001! Urban Tapestry!
mailto:phyd...@liii.com Mike Stein! Oh, yeah, and some guy

P Nielsen Hayden

Feb 14, 2001, 11:11:02 AM2/14/01

Congratulations. May life be long and full of unexpected
satisfactions.

--
Patrick Nielsen Hayden : p...@panix.com : http://www.panix.com/~pnh

mike weber

Feb 14, 2001, 11:18:35 AM2/14/01
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:38:33 GMT, J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton)
typed

>Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
>wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
>into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Yay.

Congratulations.
--
Who would speak truth should have one foot in the stirrup.
(Church bulletin board, Dunwoody GA)

Erik V. Olson

Feb 14, 2001, 11:34:30 AM2/14/01
On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:18:35 GMT, mike weber <kras...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:38:33 GMT, J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton)
>typed
>
>>Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
>>wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
>>into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.
>>

>Yay.
>
>Congratulations.

<Piggybacking, since I never saw the original>

Long life and happiness.

--
Erik V. Olson: er...@mo.net : http://walden.mo.net/~eriko/

Martin Wisse

Feb 14, 2001, 3:57:45 PM2/14/01
wrote:

>Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
>wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
>into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Congratulations to both of you and if you'll have me I'll try to be
there.

Martin Wisse
--
British SF is full of rain and cooked cabbage, is gloomy, introspective and
obsessed with the underclass. Pratchett, who is half of the industry

LAFF

Feb 15, 2001, 1:34:27 AM2/15/01
'tis said that on Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:38:33 GMT,
J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton) wrote:

> Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
> wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
> into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Congratulations!

--
Lois Fundis lfu...@weir.net
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Cockpit/9377/handy-dandy.html

. . . let us ponder the great question of this election. As it turns out,
the question is not, "Is our children learning?" It is, "Did you know that
elections in this country are run by your grandma and grandpa, and that
no one has bought them any new equipment for 30 years?
-- Molly Ivins, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, November 16, 2000;
archived at http://www.sacbee.com/voices/national/ivins/ivins_20001116.html

I always like to know what subject it is I'm straying away from.
-- Terry Pratchett
http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/SF-Archives/Ansible/a50.html#pratchett

Sandra Bond

Feb 15, 2001, 4:14:23 AM2/15/01
In article <96cbvf$dq2$3...@lure.pipex.net>, Alison Hopkins
<fn...@dial.pipex.com>, silping a nuclear fizz in the insurgent manner,
wrote:

>> Ah. The UK is wall to wall torrid sex. In fact, if you don't
>>proposition someone within five minutes of meeting them, it is
>>as rude as if you failed to address a perfect stranger on the
>>London tube.
>>
>And do remember to *always* stand on the left when travelling on an
>escalator on the Tube.

<Hoffnung> "All London brothels display a blue lamp outside."
</Hoffnung>

(Has anyone heard of Hoffnung these days? Last week I heard someone at
work telling the bricklayer sketch practically word for word as though a
friend had had to deal with the claim for injury. I made the mistake --
see Office Politics thread -- of trying to put them right. Luckily a web
search turned up the complete text for me and vindicated me. But nobody
else in the office had even hard of Gerard Hoffnung.)

Sandra
--
"You cannot trust the boy. His mind has been corrupted by
colours, shapes and sounds." (--The League of Gentlemen)

Velma J. Bowen

Feb 15, 2001, 7:53:45 AM2/15/01
wrote:

>Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our

>wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
>into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Mazel Tov!

I doubt I'll make it, but how wonderful!

--
Vijay Bowen
A sense of humor is a state of grace.

Paul Dormer

Feb 15, 2001, 10:49:00 AM2/15/01
In article <JNgnmNAv...@grebbsy.org.uk>, san...@ho-street.demon.co.uk
(Sandra Bond) wrote:

> (Has anyone heard of Hoffnung these days? Last week I heard someone at
> work telling the bricklayer sketch practically word for word as though a
> friend had had to deal with the claim for injury. I made the mistake --
> see Office Politics thread -- of trying to put them right. Luckily a web
> search turned up the complete text for me and vindicated me. But nobody
> else in the office had even hard of Gerard Hoffnung.)

Same thing happened in our office a couple of weeks back, but we had
enough old-timers around to convince the guy otherwise. And we all
started quoting our favourite bits.

Ninni Pettersson

Feb 15, 2001, 12:04:41 PM2/15/01
Jo Walton <J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
> wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
> into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Hjärtliga gratulationer till er båda!

I really do wish I could come, but it's out of the question this
year I'm afraid. I hope you will have a wonderful, exciting, relaxing,
entertaining and generally memorable wedding.

/Ninni Pettersson

--
Ninni Pettersson - Stockholm - Sweden
Mail-adress is vidumavi at swipnet dot se

David G. Bell

Feb 15, 2001, 11:39:42 AM2/15/01
On Thursday, in article <JNgnmNAv...@grebbsy.org.uk>
san...@ho-street.demon.co.uk "Sandra Bond" wrote:

> In article <96cbvf$dq2$3...@lure.pipex.net>, Alison Hopkins
> <fn...@dial.pipex.com>, silping a nuclear fizz in the insurgent manner,
> wrote:
> >>>
> >> Ah. The UK is wall to wall torrid sex. In fact, if you don't
> >>proposition someone within five minutes of meeting them, it is
> >>as rude as if you failed to address a perfect stranger on the
> >>London tube.
> >>
> >And do remember to *always* stand on the left when travelling on an
> >escalator on the Tube.
>
> <Hoffnung> "All London brothels display a blue lamp outside."
> </Hoffnung>
>
> (Has anyone heard of Hoffnung these days? Last week I heard someone at
> work telling the bricklayer sketch practically word for word as though a
> friend had had to deal with the claim for injury. I made the mistake --
> see Office Politics thread -- of trying to put them right. Luckily a web
> search turned up the complete text for me and vindicated me. But nobody
> else in the office had even hard of Gerard Hoffnung.)

That one seems to get miscredited an awful lot, or a lot of people
turned it into the same song...

Susana Serras Pereira

Feb 15, 2001, 5:07:26 PM2/15/01

"Jo Walton" <J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
> wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
> into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

Congratulations, and may good things overflow in your lives.

> It's at the Swan-at-Hay Hotel, in Hay on Wye, Wales.

It all sounds wonderful. I don't think I've ever seen a better plan for
a wedding.

Susana, books and castles and friends, oh my

Mary Kay Kare

Feb 15, 2001, 5:44:13 PM2/15/01
In article <96hkfg$ld7et$1...@ID-34452.news.dfncis.de>, "Susana Serras
Pereira" <ni...@netzero.pt> wrote:

Yeah. When we were there 2 years ago I pointed out to Jordin that it
would be a great place for a relaxacon. Find a compatible group of
people, a nearby self-catering accomodation and settle in for a lovely
week. It occurred to me that this might be a fun thing to arrange around
the wedding and there are some very suitable self-catering accomodations
on the Hay-on-Wye accomodations page, but then I looked at the airfares.
Right now the cheapest ones out of SFO are running 1100 per person. Sigh.

MKK

--
"Books you've bought and shelved but not yet read emit a gentle, beneficial
radiation, and when you finally do read them they're almost old friends."
--Teresa Nielsen Hayden on RASFF

Alison Scott

Feb 15, 2001, 6:24:37 PM2/15/01
ka...@sirius.com (Mary Kay Kare) wrote:

>Yeah. When we were there 2 years ago I pointed out to Jordin that it
>would be a great place for a relaxacon. Find a compatible group of
>people, a nearby self-catering accomodation and settle in for a lovely
>week. It occurred to me that this might be a fun thing to arrange around
>the wedding and there are some very suitable self-catering accomodations
>on the Hay-on-Wye accomodations page, but then I looked at the airfares.
>Right now the cheapest ones out of SFO are running 1100 per person. Sigh.

Hence the several Brecons; relaxacons held first at the Old Black
Lion, Hay-on-Wye, and then at the Swan when the owner of the OBL sold
up and bought the Swan. True relaxacons with no programme other than
dinner and breakfast. Lots of bookshopping, and lots of hanging around
in the bar looking at each other's book purchases.

A rather poor but extremely amusing photo taken at one of these
gatherings can be seen at

http://www.plokta.com/plokta/issue7/antiques.htm

--
Alison Scott ali...@kittywompus.com & www.kittywompus.com

Sandra Bond

Feb 15, 2001, 6:49:10 PM2/15/01
In article <20010215.16...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>, David G. Bell
<db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>, silping a nuclear fizz in the insurgent

manner, wrote:
>> <Hoffnung> "All London brothels display a blue lamp outside."
>> </Hoffnung>
>>
>> (Has anyone heard of Hoffnung these days? Last week I heard someone at
>> work telling the bricklayer sketch practically word for word as though a
>> friend had had to deal with the claim for injury. I made the mistake --
>> see Office Politics thread -- of trying to put them right. Luckily a web
>> search turned up the complete text for me and vindicated me. But nobody
>> else in the office had even hard of Gerard Hoffnung.)
>
>That one seems to get miscredited an awful lot, or a lot of people
>turned it into the same song...

Someone's turned it into a *song*? Hoffnung's was a spoken-word sketch.

Richard Horton

Feb 15, 2001, 9:35:26 PM2/15/01
Congratulations, felicitations, best wishes, & c. to you both!

(I would love to be able to come, but it doesn't look doable just
now.)

--
Rich Horton | Stable Email: mailto://richard...@sff.net
Home Page: http://www.sff.net/people/richard.horton

Cally Soukup

Feb 15, 2001, 10:46:02 PM2/15/01
David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net> wrote in article <m2hf1x6...@gw.dd-b.net>:
> J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton) writes:

>> Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
>> wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
>> into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.

> Congratulations! (or am I forgetting a previous announcement and a
> previous congratulation? in which case add "again")

What he said! (And assorted grumbles at the news server for not
sending me your message, or all the replies, either.)

--
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend
to the death your right to say it." -- Beatrice Hall

Cally Soukup sou...@pobox.com

Morris M. Keesan

Feb 15, 2001, 11:27:08 PM2/15/01
On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:49:10 +0000, Sandra Bond
<san...@ho-street.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <20010215.16...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>, David G. Bell
><db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>, silping a nuclear fizz in the insurgent
>manner, wrote:
>>> <Hoffnung> "All London brothels display a blue lamp outside."
>>> </Hoffnung>
>>>
>>> (Has anyone heard of Hoffnung these days? Last week I heard someone at
>>> work telling the bricklayer sketch practically word for word as though a
>>> friend had had to deal with the claim for injury. I made the mistake --
>>> see Office Politics thread -- of trying to put them right. Luckily a web
>>> search turned up the complete text for me and vindicated me. But nobody
>>> else in the office had even hard of Gerard Hoffnung.)
>>
>>That one seems to get miscredited an awful lot, or a lot of people
>>turned it into the same song...
>>
>Someone's turned it into a *song*? Hoffnung's was a spoken-word sketch.

I'm not familiar with the Hoffnung version, but if this is the story
about the guy who tries to lower the bricks from the roof using a
pulley, with humorous and injurious results, it predates Hoffnung, in
various versions, by many years. The only song version I'm familiar
with is the old music hall song "Why Paddy's Not At Work Today", but I
think there are older prose versions.
--
Morris M. Keesan -- kee...@world.std.com
Too many baby pictures at http://world.std.com/~keesan/

Mary Kay Kare

Feb 16, 2001, 12:53:00 AM2/16/01
In article <froo8t09095b9lujj...@4ax.com>,
ali...@kittywompus.com wrote:

> ka...@sirius.com (Mary Kay Kare) wrote:
>
> >Yeah. When we were there 2 years ago I pointed out to Jordin that it
> >would be a great place for a relaxacon. Find a compatible group of
> >people, a nearby self-catering accomodation and settle in for a lovely
> >week. It occurred to me that this might be a fun thing to arrange around
> >the wedding and there are some very suitable self-catering accomodations
> >on the Hay-on-Wye accomodations page, but then I looked at the airfares.
> >Right now the cheapest ones out of SFO are running 1100 per person. Sigh.
>
> Hence the several Brecons; relaxacons held first at the Old Black
> Lion, Hay-on-Wye, and then at the Swan when the owner of the OBL sold
> up and bought the Swan. True relaxacons with no programme other than
> dinner and breakfast. Lots of bookshopping, and lots of hanging around
> in the bar looking at each other's book purchases.

I wondered why no one else had thought of what seemed so obviously a good
idea. Oops. They had.

> A rather poor but extremely amusing photo taken at one of these
> gatherings can be seen at

Well, I picked out you and Mike.

Marilee J. Layman

Feb 16, 2001, 1:17:18 AM2/16/01

That "Tibs" person looks a lot like my younger brother.

--
Marilee J. Layman The Other*Worlds*Cafe
HOSTE...@aol.com A Science Fiction Discussion Group.

David G. Bell

Feb 16, 2001, 3:22:58 AM2/16/01
On Thursday, in article <XiHQdEA2...@grebbsy.org.uk>
san...@ho-street.demon.co.uk "Sandra Bond" wrote:

> In article <20010215.16...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>, David G. Bell
> <db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>, silping a nuclear fizz in the insurgent
> manner, wrote:
> >> <Hoffnung> "All London brothels display a blue lamp outside."
> >> </Hoffnung>
> >>
> >> (Has anyone heard of Hoffnung these days? Last week I heard someone at
> >> work telling the bricklayer sketch practically word for word as though a
> >> friend had had to deal with the claim for injury. I made the mistake --
> >> see Office Politics thread -- of trying to put them right. Luckily a web
> >> search turned up the complete text for me and vindicated me. But nobody
> >> else in the office had even hard of Gerard Hoffnung.)
> >
> >That one seems to get miscredited an awful lot, or a lot of people
> >turned it into the same song...
> >
> Someone's turned it into a *song*? Hoffnung's was a spoken-word sketch.

I _may_ be confusing a couple of different things -- I was thinking of a
song called "The Sick Note", with several variant titles, in which an
Irish brickie explains why he won't be coming into work after an
industrial accident involving a rope, a pulley, and a barrel full of
bricks.

Sandra Bond

Feb 16, 2001, 5:07:47 AM2/16/01
In article <mpap8tc0d0d6udf79...@4ax.com>, Morris M.
Keesan <kee...@world.std.com>, silping a nuclear fizz in the insurgent

manner, wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:49:10 +0000, Sandra Bond
><san...@ho-street.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>In article <20010215.16...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>, David G. Bell
>><db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>, silping a nuclear fizz in the insurgent

>>>That one seems to get miscredited an awful lot, or a lot of people
>>>turned it into the same song...
>>>
>>Someone's turned it into a *song*? Hoffnung's was a spoken-word sketch.
>
>I'm not familiar with the Hoffnung version, but if this is the story
>about the guy who tries to lower the bricks from the roof using a
>pulley, with humorous and injurious results, it predates Hoffnung, in
>various versions, by many years. The only song version I'm familiar
>with is the old music hall song "Why Paddy's Not At Work Today", but I
>think there are older prose versions.

I stand amazed at your erudition. Truly AKICIF.

But I was still right and it didn't really happen so nyurr.

I can recommend Hoffnung's rendition (it's from HOFFNUNG AT THE OXFORD
UNION if anyone cares).

Alter S. Reiss

Feb 16, 2001, 11:27:10 AM2/16/01
"Morris M. Keesan" <kee...@world.std.com> wrote in message

The Dubliners have done a version entitled "The Sick Note", which I'll
recommend. Hmm.
From memory:

"Dear sir, I write this note to you to tell you of me plight
and at the time of writing it, I am not a pretty sight.
Me body is all black and blue, me face a deathly grey
and I right this note to say why Paddy's not at work today."

A quick google should probably turn up the actual lyrics.

--
Alter S. Reiss, February 2001

"Yeah, Dogbert reminds me a lot of you"
-- Amichai Erdfarb

Patrick Connors

Feb 16, 2001, 11:32:18 AM2/16/01
David G. Bell <db...@zhochaka.org.uk> wrote:
: I _may_ be confusing a couple of different things -- I was thinking of a
: song called "The Sick Note", with several variant titles, in which an
: Irish brickie explains why he won't be coming into work after an
: industrial accident involving a rope, a pulley, and a barrel full of
: bricks.

I don't think that's by Hoffnung, no. I'm at the office avoiding work
(though I do get to program computers, so that's all right) so I don't
have my citation for that handy.

Funny song, though.

--
Patrick Connors |
| Smile! The fresh air's good for your teeth.
| -- Jack Bogut, KDKA Radio, 1970s

Kevin J. Maroney

Feb 16, 2001, 11:36:00 AM2/16/01
Morris M. Keesan <kee...@world.std.com> wrote:
>The only song version I'm familiar
>with is the old music hall song "Why Paddy's Not At Work Today", but I
>think there are older prose versions.

Ah. I had first heard "Why Paddy's Not at Work Today" sung by Mike
Cross, a Chapel Hill native bluegrass singer and comedian (he calls it
"Dear Boss"). It's one of his staple bits, and funny every time.

Glad to learn more of its origins.

--
Kevin Maroney | kmar...@ungames.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
<http://www.nyrsf.com>

Del Cotter

Feb 16, 2001, 2:39:49 PM2/16/01
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, in rec.arts.sf.fandom,
Alison Hopkins <fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>James Nicoll wrote in message <96caqk$ltu$1...@panix2.panix.com>...

>> Ah. The UK is wall to wall torrid sex. In fact, if you don't
>>proposition someone within five minutes of meeting them, it is
>>as rude as if you failed to address a perfect stranger on the
>>London tube.
>
>And do remember to *always* stand on the left when travelling on an
>escalator on the Tube.

This is scarcely advice that anyone needs, IME.

--
. . . . Del Cotter d...@branta.demon.co.uk . . . .
JustRead:rnelleTheBurningCity:StevenBrustJhereg:HomerHHickhamRocketBoys

Martin Wisse

Feb 16, 2001, 3:53:27 PM2/16/01
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:39:49 +0000, Del Cotter <d...@branta.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, in rec.arts.sf.fandom,
>Alison Hopkins <fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>James Nicoll wrote in message <96caqk$ltu$1...@panix2.panix.com>...
>>> Ah. The UK is wall to wall torrid sex. In fact, if you don't
>>>proposition someone within five minutes of meeting them, it is
>>>as rude as if you failed to address a perfect stranger on the
>>>London tube.
>>
>>And do remember to *always* stand on the left when travelling on an
>>escalator on the Tube.
>
>This is scarcely advice that anyone needs, IME.

Was soo disappointed again last weekend when it turned out again
Londoners can be just as rude buggers as other people. There's this
beautiful myth that the English are polite and considerate, but sadly it
isn't true. People were just standing willy nilly on the escalators!

The shock!

Martin Wisse
--
You have permission to read as much sarcasm into that statement as you like,
so long as you start with "lots".

Alison Scott

Feb 16, 2001, 4:32:32 PM2/16/01
db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk ("David G. Bell") wrote:

>On Thursday, in article <XiHQdEA2...@grebbsy.org.uk>
> san...@ho-street.demon.co.uk "Sandra Bond" wrote:
>
>> In article <20010215.16...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>, David G. Bell
>> <db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>, silping a nuclear fizz in the insurgent

>> >That one seems to get miscredited an awful lot, or a lot of people
>> >turned it into the same song...
>> >
>> Someone's turned it into a *song*? Hoffnung's was a spoken-word sketch.
>
>I _may_ be confusing a couple of different things -- I was thinking of a
>song called "The Sick Note", with several variant titles, in which an
>Irish brickie explains why he won't be coming into work after an
>industrial accident involving a rope, a pulley, and a barrel full of
>bricks.

All the same song. The evidence on the web indicates strongly that
both the song and the Hoffnung recital derive from an earlier urban
legend (it's in a 1918 jokebook, for example). The best websites I
could turn up in ten seconds of googling were

http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/happy/12_dec/1204s.htm

and of course

http://www.snopes2.com/humor/letters/bricks.htm

Snopes really is a lifechanging website. It's a bit sad in a way,
though. Whenever I hear an implausible story recounted as true these
days, rather than remarking on the world being a funny place, I zip
off to snopes to see if there's anything on it, and there normally is.

David G. Bell

Feb 16, 2001, 12:12:00 PM2/16/01
On Friday, in article
<96jkce$l2jn5$1...@ID-72420.news.dfncis.de>

It's in "Rise Up Singing", p.258, as "The Sick Note". Copyright Celtic
Music, 24 Mercer Row, Louth, Lincolnshire, LN11 9JJ, and attributed to
Pat Cooksey.

This may be a copyright claim of the same sort as applied to "House of
the Rising Sun".

Alison Hopkins

Feb 16, 2001, 5:11:37 PM2/16/01

Martin Wisse wrote in message <3a9b928f...@news.demon.nl>...

>On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:39:49 +0000, Del Cotter <d...@branta.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, in rec.arts.sf.fandom,
>>Alison Hopkins <fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>>>And do remember to *always* stand on the left when travelling on an
>>>escalator on the Tube.
>>
>>This is scarcely advice that anyone needs, IME.
>
>Was soo disappointed again last weekend when it turned out again
>Londoners can be just as rude buggers as other people. There's this
>beautiful myth that the English are polite and considerate, but sadly it
>isn't true. People were just standing willy nilly on the escalators!
>
>The shock!

No, no. They cannot have been Londoners, they must have been Furriners from
Outside.

Outside the M25, that is.

Ali

Alison Hopkins

Feb 16, 2001, 5:10:24 PM2/16/01

Del Cotter wrote in message ...

>On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, in rec.arts.sf.fandom,
>Alison Hopkins <fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>James Nicoll wrote in message <96caqk$ltu$1...@panix2.panix.com>...
>>> Ah. The UK is wall to wall torrid sex. In fact, if you don't
>>>proposition someone within five minutes of meeting them, it is
>>>as rude as if you failed to address a perfect stranger on the
>>>London tube.
>>
>>And do remember to *always* stand on the left when travelling on an
>>escalator on the Tube.
>
>This is scarcely advice that anyone needs, IME.

I was Hoffnunging. Or, playing games with the non Londoners amongst us.

Ali

David G. Bell

Feb 16, 2001, 6:25:27 PM2/16/01
On Friday, in article <96ka28$6lu$3...@lure.pipex.net>
fn...@dial.pipex.com "Alison Hopkins" wrote:

> No, no. They cannot have been Londoners, they must have been Furriners from
> Outside.
>
> Outside the M25, that is.

Does anyone have a copy of the Messier Catalogue to hand? This sounds
like a rather fuzzy ring-structure, with strong sodium emission lines in
its spectrum.

Martin Wisse

Feb 16, 2001, 8:02:08 PM2/16/01
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 22:11:37 -0000, "Alison Hopkins"
<fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>Martin Wisse wrote in message <3a9b928f...@news.demon.nl>...
>

>>Was soo disappointed again last weekend when it turned out again
>>Londoners can be just as rude buggers as other people. There's this
>>beautiful myth that the English are polite and considerate, but sadly it
>>isn't true. People were just standing willy nilly on the escalators!
>>
>>The shock!
>>

>No, no. They cannot have been Londoners, they must have been Furriners from
>Outside.
>
>Outside the M25, that is.

With South London accents?

Martin Wisse
--
Thunderbird Two, green with a yellow stripe, just has to
have been build by John Deere.

Del Cotter

Feb 16, 2001, 6:32:40 PM2/16/01
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, in rec.arts.sf.fandom,
Alison Hopkins <fn...@dial.pipex.com> said:

>Del Cotter wrote in message ...

>>Alison Hopkins <fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>>>And do remember to *always* stand on the left when travelling on an
>>>escalator on the Tube.
>>
>>This is scarcely advice that anyone needs, IME.
>
>I was Hoffnunging. Or, playing games with the non Londoners amongst us.

Yes, I know. I was pointing out that the buggers do it naturally.

Del Cotter

Feb 16, 2001, 6:32:57 PM2/16/01
Martin Wisse <mwi...@ad-astra.demon.nl> said:

>Del Cotter <d...@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>>And do remember to *always* stand on the left when travelling on an
>>>escalator on the Tube.
>>
>>This is scarcely advice that anyone needs, IME.
>
>Was soo disappointed again last weekend when it turned out again
>Londoners can be just as rude buggers as other people. There's this
>beautiful myth that the English are polite and considerate, but sadly it
>isn't true. People were just standing willy nilly on the escalators!

Don't start me on a "Londoners != all those people you see in London",
please. They're all but a handful of them incomers.

ObSF: "Let's Go To Golgotha" by Gary Kilworth

Alison Hopkins

Feb 17, 2001, 4:12:34 AM2/17/01

Martin Wisse wrote in message <3a9fcd76...@news.demon.nl>...

>On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 22:11:37 -0000, "Alison Hopkins"
><fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>

>>Martin Wisse wrote in message <3a9b928f...@news.demon.nl>...
>>
>>>Was soo disappointed again last weekend when it turned out again
>>>Londoners can be just as rude buggers as other people. There's this
>>>beautiful myth that the English are polite and considerate, but sadly it
>>>isn't true. People were just standing willy nilly on the escalators!
>>>
>>>The shock!
>>>

>>No, no. They cannot have been Londoners, they must have been Furriners
from
>>Outside.
>>
>>Outside the M25, that is.
>
>With South London accents?

Oh, that doesn't;t count as London either in the sense of the Tube. Sarf
Lahndan only has British rail, so the poor dears never learn how to behave
in their childhood.

Ali

Del Cotter

Feb 17, 2001, 7:13:29 AM2/17/01
David G. Bell <db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk> said:

>fn...@dial.pipex.com "Alison Hopkins" wrote:
>> No, no. They cannot have been Londoners, they must have been Furriners from
>> Outside.
>>
>> Outside the M25, that is.
>
>Does anyone have a copy of the Messier Catalogue to hand? This sounds
>like a rather fuzzy ring-structure, with strong sodium emission lines in
>its spectrum.

See the cover of the paperback of _Good Omens_ by Neil Gaiman and Terry
Pratchett.

Alison Hopkins

Feb 17, 2001, 8:38:25 AM2/17/01

Del Cotter wrote in message ...
>On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, in rec.arts.sf.fandom,
>David G. Bell <db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk> said:
>
>>fn...@dial.pipex.com "Alison Hopkins" wrote:
>>> No, no. They cannot have been Londoners, they must have been Furriners
from
>>> Outside.
>>>
>>> Outside the M25, that is.
>>
>>Does anyone have a copy of the Messier Catalogue to hand? This sounds
>>like a rather fuzzy ring-structure, with strong sodium emission lines in
>>its spectrum.
>
>See the cover of the paperback of _Good Omens_ by Neil Gaiman and Terry
>Pratchett.

Oh, that's one of my favourite things in that book. The M25 is a giant
pentacle, or whatever. So, so true.

Ali

Alison Scott

Feb 17, 2001, 3:00:05 PM2/17/01
mwi...@ad-astra.demon.nl (Martin Wisse) wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 22:11:37 -0000, "Alison Hopkins"
><fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>>No, no. They cannot have been Londoners, they must have been Furriners from
>>Outside.
>>
>>Outside the M25, that is.
>
>With South London accents?

As good as furriners, them. Poor sods have no tubes there, and they
just don't understand how civilised people behave.

But basically, everyone who uses the tube at all regularly stands on
the right, because if you don't, you will at some point be barrelled
into at high speed by someone holding his briefcase in front of him as
a battering ram. After which you never stand on the left again.

One of the things we do when travelling with Jonathan (in a pushchair)
is the tube equivalent of Teresa's driving-half-on-the-hard-shoulder
trick. We stand just slightly left of the correct position; not so far
left that people can't walk past, but too far left for people to go
past at high speed, ram into the pushchair, and send it tumbling down
the escalator. You do get sworn at a bit for this, but it's worth it.
(Technically, of course, you're supposed to fold the pushchair, and
stand on the right holding baby, pushchair, handbag, baby bag and all
the stuff from the bottom of the pushchair. This would not be as safe,
to say the least.)

Janet Kegg

Feb 17, 2001, 2:43:32 PM2/17/01
In article <20010216.23...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk> "David G.
Bell" wrote:

>On Friday, in article <96ka28$6lu$3...@lure.pipex.net>
> fn...@dial.pipex.com "Alison Hopkins" wrote:
>
>> No, no. They cannot have been Londoners, they must have been Furriners from
>> Outside.
>>
>> Outside the M25, that is.
>
>Does anyone have a copy of the Messier Catalogue to hand? This sounds
>like a rather fuzzy ring-structure, with strong sodium emission lines in
>its spectrum.

Nah, just an ordinary cluster, maybe 2000 light years away in
Sagittarius.

Doesn't everyone have the Messier Catalogue bookmarked? :)
(M25 is http://www.seds.org/messier/m/m025.html)

-- Janet

Jo Walton

Feb 17, 2001, 4:05:18 PM2/17/01
In article <r0lt8to2q2ui35khc...@4ax.com>
j...@his.com "Janet Kegg" writes:

Where was that url when they needed it at the beginning of _Red Shift_?

It makes exactly the same point about being "between the M6 going to
Birmingham and M33 going nowhere."

--
Jo J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk
I kissed a kif at Kefk
Locus Recommended First Novel: *THE KING'S PEACE* out now from Tor.
Sample Chapters, Map, Poems, & stuff at http://www.bluejo.demon.co.uk

Del Cotter

Feb 17, 2001, 6:06:23 PM2/17/01
On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, in rec.arts.sf.fandom,
Alison Hopkins <fn...@dial.pipex.com> said:

>Martin Wisse wrote

>>>No, no. They cannot have been Londoners, they must have been Furriners
>>>

>>>Outside the M25, that is.
>>
>>With South London accents?
>

>Oh, that doesn't count as London either in the sense of the Tube. Sarf

>Lahndan only has British rail, so the poor dears never learn how to behave
>in their childhood.

Excuse me, Ali, but I think you and Martin have stopped being funny now.
Can we tone this down a bit?

Avedon Carol

Feb 17, 2001, 8:28:52 PM2/17/01
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:32:57 +0000, in rec.arts.sf.fandom Del Cotter
<d...@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Martin Wisse <mwi...@ad-astra.demon.nl> said:

>>>This is scarcely advice that anyone needs, IME.
>>
>>Was soo disappointed again last weekend when it turned out again
>>Londoners can be just as rude buggers as other people. There's this
>>beautiful myth that the English are polite and considerate, but sadly it
>>isn't true. People were just standing willy nilly on the escalators!
>
>Don't start me on a "Londoners != all those people you see in London",
>please. They're all but a handful of them incomers.

I have always maintained that people come to London from all over the
world just to be rude.

Samuel Kleiner

Feb 18, 2001, 5:40:43 AM2/18/01
Janet Kegg wrote:
>In article <20010216.23...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk> "David G.
>Bell" wrote:
>
>>On Friday, in article <96ka28$6lu$3...@lure.pipex.net>
>> fn...@dial.pipex.com "Alison Hopkins" wrote:
>>
>>> No, no. They cannot have been Londoners, they must have been Furriners from
>>> Outside.
>>>
>>> Outside the M25, that is.
>>
>>Does anyone have a copy of the Messier Catalogue to hand? This sounds
>>like a rather fuzzy ring-structure, with strong sodium emission lines in
>>its spectrum.
>
>Nah, just an ordinary cluster, maybe 2000 light years away in
>Sagittarius.

Anyone know where that place in `Childhoods end' is? The source planet
of the overlords? It also had a catalouge number of some kind.

Martin Wisse

Feb 18, 2001, 5:52:50 AM2/18/01
On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 01:28:52 +0000, ave...@cix.co.uk (Avedon Carol)
wrote:

>I have always maintained that people come to London from all over the
>world just to be rude.

Just like Amsterdam then, but we have the added bonus of them being too
drunk or stoned to be very coherent.

Martin Wisse
--
"So, you're the Unix guru." At the time Randy was still
stupid enough to be flattered by this attention when

Martin Wisse

Feb 18, 2001, 5:55:41 AM2/18/01
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:32:57 +0000, Del Cotter <d...@branta.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, in rec.arts.sf.fandom,

>Martin Wisse <mwi...@ad-astra.demon.nl> said:

>>>This is scarcely advice that anyone needs, IME.
>>
>>Was soo disappointed again last weekend when it turned out again
>>Londoners can be just as rude buggers as other people. There's this
>>beautiful myth that the English are polite and considerate, but sadly it
>>isn't true. People were just standing willy nilly on the escalators!
>
>Don't start me on a "Londoners != all those people you see in London",
>please. They're all but a handful of them incomers.

Well, yeah. But one would think that people who make regular use of the
tube would learn to stand on the right, eh? Whether or not they commute
from outside of London being irrelevant to this.

Martin Wisse
--
How might one uplift bees? Nanotechnology, obviously -- nanotech can
do ANYTHING. Oh, and have to have the cyberspace too: tiny little

Alison Hopkins

Feb 18, 2001, 5:50:37 AM2/18/01

Martin Wisse wrote in message <3aaea940....@news.demon.nl>...

>On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 01:28:52 +0000, ave...@cix.co.uk (Avedon Carol)
>wrote:
>
>>I have always maintained that people come to London from all over the
>>world just to be rude.
>
>Just like Amsterdam then, but we have the added bonus of them being too
>drunk or stoned to be very coherent.

And the stoned ones don't get rowdy. <g>

Ali

Doug Wickstrom

Feb 18, 2001, 8:36:29 PM2/18/01
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:12:58 -0000, in message
<96cbvf$dq2$3...@lure.pipex.net>
"Alison Hopkins" <fn...@dial.pipex.com> excited the ether to say:

>James Nicoll wrote in message <96caqk$ltu$1...@panix2.panix.com>...

>>In article <q69j8t8nl9sj9c2ds...@4ax.com>,
>>Kevin J. Maroney <kmar...@ungames.com> wrote:
>ends
>>>
>>>Um. In American English, "boink" means something quite specific which
>>>you didn't mention on your weekend schedule.

>> Ah. The UK is wall to wall torrid sex. In fact, if you don't
>>proposition someone within five minutes of meeting them, it is
>>as rude as if you failed to address a perfect stranger on the
>>London tube.
>>

>And do remember to *always* stand on the left when travelling on an
>escalator on the Tube.

Now that _was_ confusing, to learn that it's the same as over
here. "Keep Right, except to pass."

--
Doug Wickstrom
"The secret of success in showbusiness is honesty and sincerity. Once

Doug Wickstrom

Feb 18, 2001, 8:33:59 PM2/18/01
On 13 Feb 2001 17:00:52 -0500, in message
<96caqk$ltu$1...@panix2.panix.com>
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) excited the ether to say:

>In article <q69j8t8nl9sj9c2ds...@4ax.com>,
>Kevin J. Maroney <kmar...@ungames.com> wrote:
>>J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton) wrote:
>>>Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
>>>wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at both ends
>>>into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.
>>
>>Um. In American English, "boink" means something quite specific which
>>you didn't mention on your weekend schedule.
>>
> Ah. The UK is wall to wall torrid sex. In fact, if you don't
>proposition someone within five minutes of meeting them, it is
>as rude as if you failed to address a perfect stranger on the
>London tube.

Oh, was _that_ my problem.

Actually, it was more like coming back late from work and asking
my roomdog to get his spare girlfriend out of my bed so I could
sleep.

Dave Weingart

Feb 19, 2001, 1:53:41 PM2/19/01
One day in Teletubbyland, db...@zhochaka.org.uk said:
>> Outside the M25, that is.
>
>Does anyone have a copy of the Messier Catalogue to hand? This sounds
>like a rather fuzzy ring-structure, with strong sodium emission lines in
>its spectrum.

Probably from the street lights.

--
73 de Dave Weingart KA2ESK Consonance 2001! Urban Tapestry!
mailto:phyd...@liii.com Mike Stein! Oh, yeah, and some guy
http://www.liii.com/~phydeaux named Dave Wein-something-or-other.
ICQ 57055207 http://www.consonance.org

Erik V. Olson

Feb 19, 2001, 3:00:45 PM2/19/01
On 19 Feb 2001 18:53:41 GMT, Dave Weingart <phyd...@liii.com> wrote:
>One day in Teletubbyland, db...@zhochaka.org.uk said:
>>> Outside the M25, that is.
>>
>>Does anyone have a copy of the Messier Catalogue to hand? This sounds
>>like a rather fuzzy ring-structure, with strong sodium emission lines in
>>its spectrum.
>
>Probably from the street lights.

Well played. The catalogue's online at

http://www.seds.org/messier/data3.html

Unfortunaltly, M25 is an open cluster, not a planetary nebula.

--
Erik V. Olson: er...@mo.net : http://walden.mo.net/~eriko/

Beth Friedman

Feb 20, 2001, 11:16:02 PM2/20/01
On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:14:23 +0000, Sandra Bond
<san...@ho-street.demon.co.uk>, <JNgnmNAv...@grebbsy.org.uk>,
wrote:

><Hoffnung> "All London brothels display a blue lamp outside."
></Hoffnung>
>
>(Has anyone heard of Hoffnung these days? Last week I heard someone at
>work telling the bricklayer sketch practically word for word as though a
>friend had had to deal with the claim for injury. I made the mistake --
>see Office Politics thread -- of trying to put them right. Luckily a web
>search turned up the complete text for me and vindicated me. But nobody
>else in the office had even hard of Gerard Hoffnung.)

I must admit that the Bricklayer's Tale is about the only Hoffnung I
_am_ familiar with, but I can recite great swathes of it. It's one of
the Midnight Special (a folk music radio show in Chicago) standards,
though these days they tend to reserve it for near the New Year's
all-request show.

"I respectfully request sick leave."

--
Beth Friedman
b...@wavefront.com

Lis Carey

Feb 22, 2001, 6:32:47 AM2/22/01
sou...@pobox.com (Cally Soukup) wrote in
<96i7pq$2pm$1...@wheel.two14.net>:

>David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net> wrote in article
><m2hf1x6...@gw.dd-b.net>:

>> J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton) writes:
>
>>> Jo Walton and Emmet O'Brien would like to invite you to our
>>> wedding/relaxacon/boink on Saturday 28th July and overflowing at
>>> both ends into Friday 27th and Sunday 29th.
>

>> Congratulations! (or am I forgetting a previous announcement and a
>> previous congratulation? in which case add "again")
>
>What he said! (And assorted grumbles at the news server for not
>sending me your message, or all the replies, either.)

What they said. Congratulations!

--

Lis Carey

Re-elect Gore in '04

Morris M. Keesan

Feb 23, 2001, 5:57:50 PM2/23/01
In article <96ka28$6lu$3...@lure.pipex.net>,

Alison Hopkins <fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>Martin Wisse wrote in message <3a9b928f...@news.demon.nl>...

>>Was soo disappointed again last weekend when it turned out again
>>Londoners can be just as rude buggers as other people. There's this
>>beautiful myth that the English are polite and considerate, but sadly it
>>isn't true. People were just standing willy nilly on the escalators!
>>
>>The shock!
>>

>No, no. They cannot have been Londoners, they must have been Furriners from
>Outside.

For some reason, this reminds me of a Letter to the Editor which
appeared in the local newspaper in Brighton, while we were there for
Conspiracy in 1987. One of the local inhabitants was complaining
about the foreign students and other foreigners who were starting to
live in Brighton, because they didn't know how to cross the street
properly.

--
Morris M. Keesan -- kee...@world.std.com
http://world.std.com/~keesan/ -- newest baby pictures added 2001-02-13