2 cameras 4 mic's 1 mixer

2000lux

Mar 31, 2012, 12:17:08 AM3/31/12
I'm not really that new, but I haven't had to do this kind of set up
before...

I'm working on a two person, two camera interview tomorrow. This is
going to be more complicated for me than usual because I want to give
each person a lav' and boom.

I have an SD442 mixer. They also want an MP3 recording for
transcription, so I borrowed a little Tascam that has Mini inputs.

My plan is to run the mic's in to the mixer inputs (duh), and then out
via the mini XLR direct outputs, so each one is recorded as a discrete
channel on the camera facing that subject.

I'm told the levels for those outputs are only controlled by the
little gain knob, not the big one (way to use technical jargon here).

How can I check the levels of each mic to make sure I'm feeding the
right level to the camera, from the mixer?

-Brian

2000lux

Mar 31, 2012, 1:25:04 AM3/31/12

2000lux

Mar 31, 2012, 2:37:39 AM3/31/12
Ok, so I set the whole thing up with two of my cameras and all the
mic's, cables, and recorder I plan to use. It all seems to work. The
PFL switch lets me listen to it and see the levels. Indeed, the master
gain is the only gain that effects the direct outputs, not the "big
knobs" on the 442. I can also listen to return audio from both cameras
separately if via my You-to-Me cables (or just really long Mini plug
cables).

The problem I'm having now is that I seem to have to crank the master
gain all the way up just to get average (-20) levels on the cameras (I
did set the levels on the cameras to -20 via tone). I'm worried that
if our subject is soft spoken, I won't be able to boost the signal any
more. Is there a way to do that? To boost it more?

It feels weird not using the mixer "normally," but I'm glad it can do
all this!

2000lux

Mar 31, 2012, 3:39:15 AM3/31/12
Could it mean that the TA3 outputs are set to Mic level rather than
Line level?

Also, if I turn up the master gain, will it affect the Direct Outputs?

2000lux

Mar 31, 2012, 11:14:13 AM3/31/12
Ok, so apparently to this client, "two camera interview" means two
cameras on one subject. The producer is off camera asking questions.
They do want a mic for the producer, but are ok just using a Schoeps
for the subject. I know the hotel where we're shooting is on a bus
line, so I really want to double mic' the subject (lav and boom). So
they're ok with two mic's but I really want three. The problem now is
just feeding it in to the Tascam recorder for transcription to get the
sound of the questions and the answers. I can feed it mic' or line,
but not both (it's a pretty simple little device).

Flipstar

Mar 31, 2012, 12:36:35 PM3/31/12
Any reason why you're putting so much planning into using the direct outs when going to camera?

Use the 10-pin hirose output and the two XLR outputs on breakaway cables. Pan your boom and lav, left and right for both cameras.

Now if you want questions only going to the transcription device, can't you use a Y-cable from a direct out and one of the outputs and then you have everything?

I'm not 100% quite sure what you're asking, but I think I'm close?

Rob Lewis

Apr 23, 2012, 9:03:55 PM4/23/12
I don't see the point of having a boom and lav for each subject. Pick
one or the other (I prefer boom), spit the tracks and your done.
Doing both is overkill, and the the editor will just get confused.