Godzilla Raids Again ( 1965 ) shoulda raided the cupboard

Stephen DeMay

Jun 11, 2017, 8:58:10 PM6/11/17
If ever there was a sequel that not only did not need to be made but would have seemed to sink any further thoughts of a continuing series this is it.
I"m one of the few people who did not care for the original. With or without Raymond Burr big g was not at his best there. Ugly B & W cinematography, mind numbing dialogue, performances and story left little to admire other than that it was the first of the Japanese big monster films. I believe The Beast from 20,00 Fantoms is the first " return of the dinosaurs " movie and that's coming up for a re - viewing
The best I can give the original is 4/10. Godzilla Raids Again clocks in at about 80 minutes and that's it primary virtue...brevity. What Godzilla really does again is to stretch my ability to watch a stinker.
Once more Big g is trudging about in a nocturnal big city stroll, but now he's also spending quality time wrestling with another " undefeatable " made up prehistoric animal species.
I'd seen this before in a prior attempt to get thru the big monster line up but was stopped by just how bad they were. I believe later entries in the Godzilla/Gamera franchises are much better than the earlier ones. Maybe
GRA has never been on T V and should never be. In the end the set upon creature gets buried in ice cubes after about five Jap jets crash into some very low mountains.
Instead of being defamed by such slurs as " the beast " or " the creature " was called called " bastard ". I kid you not. I do owe some gratitude to this flat tire as it cleared up what had been a mystery for me. The first Godzilla did die dead ...all future ones are just call me 'zilla. I was left more than a little bit uncomfortable about seeing the Japs elated after anything and everything that went well. Makes me think the Nips were probably just as celebratory at beheadings and rapes in W W 2. They appear to have as much individuality as wind up toys and will do anything en vogue.
Sad to say 'zilla gets a dino egg on this.

Bill Steele

Jun 13, 2017, 4:15:15 PM6/13/17
Remember it's not a series. It's a franchise. You'll see versions of
Spider-Man, Batman or Fast and Furious that you won't like. And we have.