Can Madhuri act well?

Message has been deleted

Deb Shanker

Feb 5, 2002, 7:37:13 PM2/5/02
Can you give me a list of good movies with Madhuri in lead role, that has
good songs and dances.

Thanks bud.

Deb

"Gazab Ho gaya" <gazab_...@lycos.com> wrote in message
> This question, which I had previously assumed should go unanswered,
> because I was certain there would be no debate, is now rearing its
> ugly head.
>
> Here I was assuming that the woman who was the queen of Hindi-language
> cinema (and still holds a prominent position) could deliver a good
> performance and people agreed with me.
>
> People know that she can dance well, she has proven it again and
> again.
>
> But can she act well? Any takers?

Muqudar

Feb 5, 2002, 9:48:47 PM2/5/02
Madhuri is not known for her acting prowess. She is a performer who dances
well and looks incredibly beautiful. Thats about it.

mamta.dhand

Feb 6, 2002, 3:07:52 AM2/6/02
Compared to a lot of garbage coming out now, Madhuri is a Queen. From the
beginning she showed talent, but sometimes I do feel she's lost the quality
and sparkle she had a few years ago and I've mentioned this before that it
has something to do with over-confidence!!

Mamta

Ritesh Kaushik

Feb 6, 2002, 6:20:36 AM2/6/02

Of course she can act, she is the best there is.

From Mrityudand, Pukar, etc. etc. she is the best !

The one that really sucks for me are:
Sri Devi, Rekha, Kajol and Kareena Kapoor !!!

Madhuri ROCKS !!!!

Can't wait to see her in Devdas..... may be that'll prove to you, that she
is the best since Nutan...

cheers,

Ritesh

"Muqudar" <muq...@aol.com> wrote in message

Ritu

Feb 6, 2002, 2:35:14 PM2/6/02
gazab_...@lycos.com (Gazab Ho gaya) wrote in message news:<6fe95d89.0202...@posting.google.com>...

> This question, which I had previously assumed should go unanswered,
> because I was certain there would be no debate, is now rearing its
> ugly head.
>
> Here I was assuming that the woman who was the queen of Hindi-language
> cinema (and still holds a prominent position) could deliver a good
> performance and people agreed with me.
>
> People know that she can dance well, she has proven it again and
> again.
>
> But can she act well? Any takers?

Madhuri and act?.. well she tries very hard. But it does not come from
within. She somehow does not convince you. She's basically a fraud.
When Madhura acts one feels there's something missing somewhere. She
only gives her 100% to her dances. Which, for people who like that
genre, are very effective. She is a good dancer and she puts her all
to her dances. Esp the sensous ones.

Ritu

Meredith

Feb 6, 2002, 9:43:46 PM2/6/02
I was very impressed by her dramatic performance in Mrityudand.

I also think it takes a certain talent to pull off "cheezy" roles like
her parts in Hum Aapke Hain Koun (oops, I initially spelled 'koun' as
'korn,' that was kinda funny) and Dil To Pagal Hai, which, despite the
popular disapproval of this board, I liked a lot. *You* try
delivering a long monologue about how "someone, somewhere, is made
just for me!" and see if you can keep from breaking into laughter --
much less convince your audience that you're serious!

A lot of the time, when I hear Bollywood actresses being ridiculed, I
feel that what is actually being mocked is the nature of the parts
they are given to play. It's very difficult to establish your
thespian skills when your roles don't require you to use those skills
in acting out genuinely dramatic and *believable* situations. Even a
"serious" role doesn't hold up very well when it is set in a movie
that treats serious issues with a ludicrous lack of depth.

Muqudar

Feb 6, 2002, 11:06:42 PM2/6/02
<<Of course she can act, she is the best there is.

From Mrityudand, Pukar, etc. etc. she is the best !>>

How ridiculously funny!! "etc. etc." must be referring to HAHK, Mohabbat,
Aarzoo, Wajood, DTPH, Yaarana, Raj Kumar, and such films right? HAHA! If she
"ROCKS" as an actress, she certainly hasn't proven herself yet (and I suppose
its too late now, since she is already considered over-the-hill and out).
As far as the others you mentioned:
Sridevi: Sadma, Nagina, Mr. India, Chandni, Lamhe, Khuda Gawah, Gumrah, Laadla,
Judaai... she is the best actress of recent times.
Rekha: she is an actress before my time, but I have seen a few of her films
such as Umrao Jaan, and she has excelled at them.
Kajol: Immensely talented, however she just hasn't done many films. That is
the reason why she has failed to become as popular as Sridevi or Madhuri.
Kareena: agreed... she isn't all that yet, but give her time... look at Karisma
now... she's great to watch!

-laterz

Alia

Feb 7, 2002, 1:34:30 PM2/7/02
Madhuri is better described as a heroine (lead female star) than as an
'actress' (someone who gives form to an aesthetic phenomenon). It is
rather doubtful that she is capable of 'emotional nudity' when it
comes to acting. I know I am not the only one who can always tell
that she is, in fact, putting on a performance. The entire point of
acting is to make the audience forget that you are acting. She is
much more a darling of the masses than an actor's actor.

She is in her element when she shakes and dances. Barring a few stray
performances (only Mrityudand and Lajja come to mind) she has featured
in roles that don't require her to 'act'. Moreover, the overwhelming
majority of her films are constructed as showcases of her dancing
talents, not her emoting abilities. She is the undisputed queen of
run-of-the-mill, hackneyed love triangles (witness the trailors of her
upcoming film) and her legacy will be more commercial than aesthetic.
Moreover, she is not an actress who ever identifies with risk: you
will never see her under the guise of 'risky' characterizations, even
those regularly relegated to female actors, be it prostitute,
terrorist, bitch, villainess, psychotic,or even clown, etc. She is
severely restricted as an actor because of this inability to
experiment or go against convention.

Rekha recently said of Madhuri: "Her hits apart, it's rather
unfortunate that Madhuri has yet to come up with a performance for
which she will be remembered as an actress. Now that she's married, I
don't know if it will happen." -Zee Premiere Magazine, March 2000.

It is safe to say that no one (future actors, critics, film
historians, or audiences members) will be sitting around ten, twenty,
fifty years from now waxing eloquent about her acting capabilities.
Her dances, yes, but her performances, definitely not.

Black Rod

Feb 8, 2002, 5:07:31 AM2/8/02
Who is Rekha? Is she an authority to judge acting talents of others? I have
never liked that ugly faced fatso from south. Rekha has never given any
memorable performance except when she played herself in that nautch girl (
read whore ) in Umrao.
"Alia" <alia...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

habshi

Feb 8, 2002, 8:30:53 AM2/8/02
She was wonderful in Khalnayak as the police woman who joins the
terrorist group .

Alia

Feb 8, 2002, 2:25:44 PM2/8/02
suku...@aol.com (Meredith) wrote in message news:<5f8cadc9.02020...@posting.google.com>...

> I was very impressed by her dramatic performance in Mrityudand.
>
> I also think it takes a certain talent to pull off "cheezy" roles like
> her parts in Hum Aapke Hain Koun (oops, I initially spelled 'koun' as
> 'korn,' that was kinda funny) and Dil To Pagal Hai, which, despite the
> popular disapproval of this board, I liked a lot. *You* try
> delivering a long monologue about how "someone, somewhere, is made
> just for me!" and see if you can keep from breaking into laughter --
> much less convince your audience that you're serious!

Perhaps, but Madhuri has said umpteen times that she personally
*identifies* most with the character she played in HAHK of all the
roles she played in her career, a role that she repeated almost ad
verbatim in DTPH. It does take a certain talent to pull of cheezy
roles (witness most of SRK's romantic heroes) but when an actor
expresses personal identification with such cheesiness, there is no
acting talent involved.

> A lot of the time, when I hear Bollywood actresses being ridiculed, I
> feel that what is actually being mocked is the nature of the parts
> they are given to play. It's very difficult to establish your
> thespian skills when your roles don't require you to use those skills
> in acting out genuinely dramatic and *believable* situations. Even a
> "serious" role doesn't hold up very well when it is set in a movie
> that treats serious issues with a ludicrous lack of depth.

True again, but it's not as though she hasn't been offered good roles.
She was offered Khamoshi, but turned it down to do what? Rajkumar?
"Khamoshi" guarantees Manisha Koirala's place in the gallery of the
great performances. There is no "Khamoshi" in Madhuri's career.

Karen Lofstrom

Feb 9, 2002, 12:36:38 AM2/9/02
In article <575932f7.02020...@posting.google.com>, Alia wrote:

> True again, but it's not as though she hasn't been offered good roles.
> She was offered Khamoshi, but turned it down to do what? Rajkumar?
> "Khamoshi" guarantees Manisha Koirala's place in the gallery of the
> great performances. There is no "Khamoshi" in Madhuri's career.

I have to agree. Madhuri does one particular "mood" extremely well: the
sexy tease. She really does light up the screen when she does that, and I
can see why people enjoy that and want more of it. But one mood does not
an actress make.

--
Karen Lofstrom lofs...@lava.net
I have a mind like, um, what do you call it, one of those things that are

mamta.dhand

Feb 9, 2002, 4:40:54 AM2/9/02
You can't say 'never' when you've made an exception!

"Black Rod" <b...@rediff.com> wrote in message

Deepaks

Feb 10, 2002, 1:03:43 AM2/10/02
I always thought that Madhuri knew how to act, except when she danced - when
she danced, she was always Madhuri. For her acting, apart from Mrityudand
where she was really good, I can think of some other movies, where she was a
good actress - like Anjam, where she played the role of a junkie; like a
film with Nana Patekar about military (I am not sure about the name,
Aghaat?).

"mamta.dhand" > You can't say 'never' when you've made an exception!

Meredith

Feb 10, 2002, 8:40:26 PM2/10/02
I do not understand this Khamoshi craze!!!! I've seen that movie
three times seeking the brilliance I am assured lies within, and each
time I have become increasingly bored. Weird, na?

Aadil Moosa

Feb 11, 2002, 5:28:40 PM2/11/02
My God, I cant believe this!
If Madhuri couldnt act, then why is she still in Bollywood? Why are people
still wanting to sign her.
If Madhuri couldnt act, her dances would mean nothing. Madhuri being a great
dancer is a consolation to her as an actress.
Can anyone who wrote this GARBAGE picture Lajja where Madhuri is in the
street and is being mobbed. Where she has a miscarriage in the street!!

Can anyone picture Mrityudand where Madhuri holds up the gun, The hatred on
her face, and she shoots the villain.

Can anyone picture in Dil To Pagal Hai where Madhuri tapes that cassette to
Akshay Kumar to tell him she has fallen for Shahrukh!!

Can anyone picture in Beta, when Madhuri confronts Aruna Irani. The anger.

If this is not what an actress does then really!!!

I hate this. Dont discredit Madhuri unneccesarily.

And believe me her career will always be remebered not only as a dancer but
The Greatest Indian Female Superstar.

Long Live Madhuri Dixit

Aadil Moosa

Message has been deleted

Black Rod

Feb 12, 2002, 4:52:24 AM2/12/02
Good post,Adil. Madhuri is an institution of cinematic acting herself. I do
not know how all these people question Madhuri`s acting capabilities.
Believe you me 15 to 20 years from now the people will be remembering only
Maduri`s name and no one else`s.
Come on you guys, doubtful Thomases, do not try to be judges when you know
fully well there is no one Indian film industry to compare Maduri with.
"Aadil Moosa" <moo...@mweb.co.za> wrote in message

jahangir...@yahoo.com

Sep 18, 2015, 8:35:03 PM9/18/15
Yes, Rekha was always irritating in my opinion. She was very bad in Aastha. You can tell that she was desperate to play a prostitute in that movie that she must have told the director not to put too much effort in the storytelling and just show her as a housewife desperate to earn some big bucks so that she can live a lavish life. Not enough justification was provided for her in aastha to show that she was forced to choose the path of prostitution. Pathetic actress she is!

jahangir...@yahoo.com

Sep 18, 2015, 8:42:02 PM9/18/15
I don't understand what you're trying to say. It's obvious that you're biased towards other contemporaries of Madhuri that you don't want to acknowledge that Madhuri has also acted in films like Anjaam, Mrityudand (her career best performance) and Lajja. These films saw her in rebellious roles and she did great justice to it. Watch her in Devdas and you will realise what an actress she is. She was always an actress as well as a great dancer which is rare to find in Bollywood. I don't understand why people remember Madhuri in Beta for her 'dhak dhak' number and not for her performance? She was brilliant as a literate village housewife who tries to straighten her evil mother-in-law by some sweet little antics. She was also mind blowing in Khal Nayak as a police woman who tries to reform a criminal. I find Madhuri's performance as well as her dances amazing. Why people hate her so much i don't understand.

jahangir...@yahoo.com

Sep 18, 2015, 8:45:59 PM9/18/15
I would like to add, can anyone picture any other actress in the scene from Devdas where Madhuri confronts the evil son-in-law of Aishwarya Rai in the midst of a 'jashn' and puts that bastard in his right place with the agony in her eyes and with the power of her words? It was just mind blowing. I was at a total loss of words when I saw Madhuri in that