How many trailers before JPIII?

J. Alexander Panic

Jul 20, 2001, 12:56:16 AM7/20/01
At the screening I saw there were only 2. When I saw it at a small-town
theater, there were, get this, 10 . . .

They advertised:

Joyride
Ice Age
American Pie 2
Final Fantasy (!)
A.I. (!)
Spider-Man
Collateral Damage
The Time Machine
The Musketeer
Rush Hour 2

Did everyone get all these trailers? If not, which ones didn't you get? A
lot aren't even from the same studio. And what's up with Final Fantasy and
A.I. being advertised? Both already came out, and bombed. Along with the
M&M ad and some R&B group ad, the trailer time lasted nearly 40 minutes!
The audience, especially with all the kids, got EXTREMELY restless. I
can't imagine they tacked on this many trailers at all theaters. And I
just can't figure out why they were advertising old movies and M&M's.
Anyone have any theories about this? Do they get paid by the trailer, or
something?

Love,
me
http://www.juicycerebellum.com
"Better than a good movie on a bad day with a dead Fruit Loop!"

Norman Wilner

Jul 20, 2001, 1:02:54 AM7/20/01
"J. Alexander Panic" <viti...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> At the screening I saw there were only 2. When I saw it at a small-
> town theater, there were, get this, 10 . . .
>
> They advertised:
>
> Joyride
> Ice Age
> American Pie 2
> Final Fantasy (!)
> A.I. (!)
> Spider-Man
> Collateral Damage
> The Time Machine
> The Musketeer
> Rush Hour 2
>
> Did everyone get all these trailers? If not, which ones didn't you get?
> A lot aren't even from the same studio. And what's up with Final
> Fantasy and A.I. being advertised? Both already came out, and
> bombed. Along with the M&M ad and some R&B group ad, the trailer
> time lasted nearly 40 minutes! The audience, especially with all the
> kids, got EXTREMELY restless. I can't imagine they tacked on this
> many trailers at all theaters. And I just can't figure out why they were
> advertising old movies and M&M's. Anyone have any theories about
> this? Do they get paid by the trailer, or something?

It sounds like the small-town theater is attaching each new trailer to the
reel as it arrives; maybe the manager doesn't realize he's doing it. How
small was the town?

The only trailers that shipped with "Jurassic Park III" were "American Pie
2" and "Captain Corelli's Mandolin", which I'm guessing were the ones you
saw at your first screening. I have to ask, though: If you hated the film as
much as you say you did, why'd you see it a second time?

Norm Wilner
MetroToday / Starweek Magazine
http://www.zap2it.com/movies/videodvd

J. Alexander Panic

Jul 20, 2001, 1:16:14 AM7/20/01
"Norman Wilner" <xnwi...@xhome.xcom> wrote in

4,000 people.

> The only trailers that shipped with "Jurassic Park III" were "American
> Pie 2" and "Captain Corelli's Mandolin",

Those were the two before the screening I saw, also. I forgot about
"Captain Corelli's Mandolin". Make that ELEVEN trailers before JPIII!

> which I'm guessing were the
> ones you saw at your first screening.

Yep.

> I have to ask, though: If you
> hated the film as much as you say you did, why'd you see it a second
> time?

Because, with sequels, it's really hard for me to gauge what I think of it
the first time, because I'm comparing it to the other movies in the series.
I always like to see them twice, before going off on, or praising, them. I
LOVED "The Phantom Menace" the first time I saw it, and only thought, "Toy
Story 2" was average. Ever since writing those reviews, I've always
watched a sequel twice, even if I didn't like it, just so I could change my
review, if I was wrong the first time. This was especially important to do
with "Jurassic Park III", since I didn't like "The Lost World" all that
much the first time, but really started liking it when I watched it again.
With JPIII, I still really disliked it the second time.

Sorry for the long explanation, but your question warranted an honest
answer.

Just Me Again

Jul 20, 2001, 3:01:53 AM7/20/01
Norman Wilner wrote:

> The only trailers that shipped with "Jurassic Park III" were "American Pie

> 2" .......

> Norm Wilner
> MetroToday / Starweek Magazine
> http://www.zap2it.com/movies/videodvd

I was wondering about the American Pie trailor, is it appropriate for a 10 yr
old girl to see? I remember what the first one was about, and even though
dino's eating people may not be all that great, I wouldn't want her to view the
sex stuff from a trailor for another show. My daughter is going to see it this
weekend.
Sandi

--
-Sure, I will get a life......
as soon as I figure out where

Arizona Information, weather, pictures and more
http://arizonainformation.freeservers.com

J. Alexander Panic

Jul 20, 2001, 3:10:49 AM7/20/01
Just Me Again <azmat...@qwest.net> wrote in

> I was wondering about the American Pie trailor, is it appropriate for a
> 10 yr old girl to see?

It depends on how well she was raised, and if she has been talked to about
sex, in a society where she is going to be force-fed it, whether her
parents like it or not.

As far as the trailer went, the older kids (9-14) in the theater giggled a
lot at the sex stuff, the adults laughed, and it basically went over the
younger kids' heads. I don't think it's a big deal, and think that it's
just fine for a 10-year-old girl to see.

> I remember what the first one was about, and
> even though dino's eating people may not be all that great, I wouldn't
> want her to view the sex stuff from a trailor for another show.

I always think it's funny how parents have an easier time letting their
kids watch humans get slaughtered than make love. That's probably why sex
is still so ridiculously taboo in this society, which only increases AIDS,
and confusion, pregnancy and misunderstanding.

Love,
Me
http://www.juicycerebellum.com
"Sex in 3 easy steps!"

Chris Kelly

Jul 20, 2001, 10:59:35 AM7/20/01
In article <2YO57.15991$2V.37...@news3.rdc1.on.home.com>,
xnwi...@xhome.xcom says...

When certain trailers "ship" with a film, is the theater required to show
them?

I just saw JP3 at a newly-built AMC megaplex and I only saw the 'old' AP2
teaser, and no sign of Captain Corelli's Madolin.

(I also saw a trailer for Final Fantasy - odd, considering it's already
out)

Chris

Paul Hoover

Jul 20, 2001, 8:48:48 AM7/20/01
> They advertised:
>
> Joyride
> Ice Age
> American Pie 2
> Final Fantasy (!)
> A.I. (!)
> Spider-Man
> Collateral Damage
> The Time Machine
> The Musketeer
> Rush Hour 2
>
> Did everyone get all these trailers?

Just caught it last night up here in Seattle...only had the last 3 from what
I remember, and a couple of others. The new Rush Hour 2 trailer is
hilarious. Really looking forward to that one.

Norman Wilner

Jul 20, 2001, 12:51:36 PM7/20/01
"Chris Kelly" <nos...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> When certain trailers "ship" with a film, is the theater required
> to show them?
>
> I just saw JP3 at a newly-built AMC megaplex and I only saw
> the 'old' AP2 teaser, and no sign of Captain Corelli's Madolin.
>
> (I also saw a trailer for Final Fantasy - odd, considering it's
> already out)

That's odd. Perhaps the trailers went to a different screen in the complex,
either intentionally or accidentally. (I still don't understand why
Universal shipped "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" with "Jurassic Park III"; the
audiences are pretty much polar opposites, as far as I can tell.)

To the best of my knowledge, theaters aren't required to show new trailers
with the movies they piggyback; it's just general practice that they do.

SDM

Jul 20, 2001, 1:10:39 PM7/20/01
> I always think it's funny how parents have an easier time letting their
> kids watch humans get slaughtered than make love.

Something to do with death being inevitable; while sex is still a "choice".

David Holmes

Jul 20, 2001, 1:58:37 PM7/20/01

> To the best of my knowledge, theaters aren't required to show new trailers
> with the movies they piggyback; it's just general practice that they do.
>
> Norm Wilner
> MetroToday / Starweek Magazine
> http://www.zap2it.com/movies/videodvd

I work at a theater. I think that's how it works. Studios send the trailers
and we attach them at our own discretion. Occasionally, we get instructions
to make sure we do attach a particular trailer to a particular movie and
ONLY to that movie because they want to advertise "see the new ????? trailer
exclusively with this engagement". But, one manager said one night (this is
after a customer complaint that is a very long story) we aren't required to
show trailers at all. We could just play the movie with nothing before it if
we wanted to (though I suspect home office might have something to say about
that if we did).
David

Lulu The Cow

Jul 20, 2001, 6:46:35 PM7/20/01
On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:10:39 -0700, "SDM" <smros...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> I always think it's funny how parents have an easier time letting their
>> kids watch humans get slaughtered than make love.
>
>Something to do with death being inevitable; while sex is still a "choice".

I disagree. As I have learned through harsh experience, sex too, is
inevitable...

Cheers,

Todd "Woe is me" McNeeley
.
email: mcneeley at enteract dot com

Just Me Again

Jul 20, 2001, 8:21:27 PM7/20/01
"J. Alexander Panic" wrote:

> I always think it's funny how parents have an easier time letting their
> kids watch humans get slaughtered than make love.

Actually if it is the movie I think it is,,, not sure, didn't see it, but the
if what the guy did to the Apple Pie was making love, then uh,, I am not the
one who is weird. Actually American Pie is R rated, and I just thought that
PG-13 movies were the ones advertised in the PG-13 movies,,
So,, my daughters gonna end up with AIDS cause my movie going choices for her
would rather be the dino's that she has seen (at our local museum) in their
naked animatronic form, and is very interested in, then some goofy guy (it is
always men who do this?) porking a pie............
Interesting cause of pregnancy and disease.

Lulu The Cow

Jul 20, 2001, 9:40:54 PM7/20/01
On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 17:21:27 -0700, Just Me Again
<azmat...@qwest.net> wrote:

>"J. Alexander Panic" wrote:
>

>> I always think it's funny how parents have an easier time letting their
>> kids watch humans get slaughtered than make love.
>
>Actually if it is the movie I think it is,,, not sure, didn't see it, but the
>if what the guy did to the Apple Pie was making love, then uh,, I am not the
>one who is weird. Actually American Pie is R rated, and I just thought that
>PG-13 movies were the ones advertised in the PG-13 movies,,
>So,, my daughters gonna end up with AIDS cause my movie going choices for her
>would rather be the dino's that she has seen (at our local museum) in their
>naked animatronic form, and is very interested in, then some goofy guy (it is
>always men who do this?) porking a pie............
>Interesting cause of pregnancy and disease.
>Sandi

I don't know if your daughter will get AIDS. I hope not. But I do know
that she'll be condemned to a lifelong career as a clerk at McDonalds
if she grows up with your command of English.

Cheers,

Todd "Thank you for having a spell-checker" McNeeley

skippy

Jul 21, 2001, 10:13:36 PM7/21/01

Norman Wilner <xnwi...@xhome.xcom> wrote in message

> "J. Alexander Panic" <viti...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > At the screening I saw there were only 2. When I saw it at a small-
> > town theater, there were, get this, 10 . . .
> >
> > They advertised:
> >
> > Joyride
> > Ice Age
> > American Pie 2
> > Final Fantasy (!)
> > A.I. (!)
> > Spider-Man
> > Collateral Damage
> > ****The Time Machine****

Speaking of this, does anyone know anything about this film? Seeing the
trailer with JP3 was the first I'd heard of its existence. I see on the
IMDB that it went through a director change midway through shooting - not
usually a good sign.

In theory an interesting remake could be made I suppose (either sticking
more closely to the book's slant on things, or updating it to a more aptly
21st century
commentary. Or maybe those are the same thing?)

-s

Adam Kohen

Jul 21, 2001, 3:27:49 AM7/21/01
Norman Wilner wrote:

> The only trailers that shipped with "Jurassic Park III" were "American Pie
> 2" and "Captain Corelli's Mandolin"

Was the "American Pie 2" trailer supposed to be a new one? I saw the
same one that's been showing for weeks.

The others I saw were:

Bubble Boy
The Others
Rush Hour 2
Captain Corelli's Mandolin
Soul Survivors

I'd seen all of these before except "Bubble Boy", which rivals "Corky
Parker: 'Special' Agent" for the most cringe-worthy trailer of the
summer. And what the hell is going on with "Soul Survivors"? I know
I've been seeing this trailer since at least January, if not earlier.
Does it even have a release date?

-AK

J. Alexander Panic

Jul 21, 2001, 6:55:44 AM7/21/01

> "J. Alexander Panic" wrote:
>

>> I always think it's funny how parents have an easier time letting
>> their kids watch humans get slaughtered than make love.
>
> Actually if it is the movie I think it is,,, not sure, didn't see it,
> but the if what the guy did to the Apple Pie was making love,

It isn't that movie. That was part 1. There is no guy making love to an
apple pie in the trailer you were asking about. There ARE two people (a
man and a woman) fooling around in a sexual manner ("foreplay").

> then uh,,
> I am not the one who is weird. Actually American Pie is R rated, and I
> just thought that PG-13 movies were the ones advertised in the PG-13
> movies

You thought wrong. ALL the MPAA and Hollywood promised was that no R rated
movie would be advertised with G rated films. There were at least 3 R
rated movies advertised before "Jurassic Park III" at the theater I saw it
at. One was the intense trailer for the horror film, "Joyride". It's
filled with violence, and contains no sex, so I guess that one's okay.

> So,, my daughters gonna end up with AIDS cause my movie going
> choices for her would rather be the dino's that she has seen (at our
> local museum) in their naked animatronic form, and is very interested
> in, then some goofy guy (it is always men who do this?) porking a
> pie............ Interesting cause of pregnancy and disease.

You misinterpreted everything I said. Lack of sexual understanding is a
large factor in teen pregnancy and STD's.

(almost) PS - If your daughter visits this museum, hasn't she also seen a
naked caveman, or some educational video of animals having sex, or
whatever?

Love,
me
http://www.juicycerebellum.com
"Where Joe Johnston is STILL a hack!"

J. Alexander Panic

Jul 21, 2001, 6:56:42 AM7/21/01
Lulu The Cow <no_spam@my_server.com> wrote in

Hey, at least there are unlimited apple pies to "pork." ;)

Sawfish

Jul 21, 2001, 10:46:20 AM7/21/01
"SDM" <smros...@hotmail.com> writes:

Well, there's a heck of a lot to this question, after you've had a
kid--especially a daughter.

If there's any truth in the idea that most humans are capable of a rich
fantasy life, and that they can keep it separated from reality, the idea
of letting them fantasize about violence needs to be examined critically.

In the first place, violence, and the potential for it, is lurking within
almost all people. It's hardcoded genetically, I think, to make us
competitve and effective, should resources become short. So, it's there,
like it or not.

You can truthfully tell your kid that the massive slaughter s/he just
watched on TV was "not real" and most certainly not a good idea. It's just
fine for pretend, but under all normal curcumstances, it is
intolerable--and always will be, under normal circumstances. When you see
it on TV, it's "just pretend"--a fantasy that exercises those genetic
remnants I was talking about earlier. I repeat: you can truthfully say
it's unacceptable in real life, and you will most likely model that
behavior for your kid to see. So, no hypocrisy here.

Now with sex, it's different. It's in there genetically too--more so,even.
And there's a social price to pay for engaging in sexual activity at too
young an age: unwanted responsiblities; emotionally less resilient; etc.
But you *cannot* tell your kids truthfully that this is a fantasy, nor can
you tell them that it's bad, per se, because eventually they'll find out
that in their parent's bedroom, their very own parents are engaging in
acts that would cause a weasle in estrus to blush. So you are not
modeling abstinence, either. You will run the risk of appearing to be a
gross hypocrite, and there's nothing worse in parenting than that.

It's damned hard to make a case against sex because it *is* pervasisve,and
it *is* acceptable. It's just that in this society, you need to be a bit
careful in how, when and with whom you engage in sex, and these
considerations almost always relate to how it affects your future. For a
kid, this is not a persuasive argument. They live in the "now", not in the
"tomorrow." So, sex is a much harder impluse to control than violence, in
young adults, and has to be handled much more carefully.

"If we use Occam's Razor, whose razor will *he* use?" --Sawfish

Sawfish

Jul 21, 2001, 10:49:59 AM7/21/01
Lulu The Cow <no_spam@my_server.com> writes:

>On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:10:39 -0700, "SDM" <smros...@hotmail.com>
>wrote:

>>> I always think it's funny how parents have an easier time letting their
>>> kids watch humans get slaughtered than make love.
>>
>>Something to do with death being inevitable; while sex is still a "choice".
>>

>I disagree. As I have learned through harsh experience, sex too, is
>inevitable...

...but it only becomes a problem when it's inevitable with farm animals.

Lulu The Cow

Jul 21, 2001, 3:43:39 PM7/21/01
On Sat, 21 Jul 2001 14:49:59 GMT, m...@q7.com (Sawfish) wrote:

>Lulu The Cow <no_spam@my_server.com> writes:

>>>Something to do with death being inevitable; while sex is still a "choice".
>>>

>>I disagree. As I have learned through harsh experience, sex too, is
>>inevitable...
>
>...but it only becomes a problem when it's inevitable with farm animals.

YOU'VE REVEALED MY SECRET SHAME!

Cheers,

Todd "<nervous laugh> It's a joke" McNeeley

Lulu The Cow

Jul 21, 2001, 3:44:55 PM7/21/01

Personally, I think the apple pies contain pork... But that's a
wholly different thread.

Cheers,

Todd "RIF: Reading is Fundamental" McNeeley