Looking for a IF game - or better, a textual open ended rpg

samtam90

Dec 21, 2007, 4:10:58 PM12/21/07
Now, what I'm looking for is something which is quite far from a
traditional IF adventure. What I'd like to see is a textual RPG with
as much open ended gameplay as possible: a huge world to explore,
maybe skills to use and interactivity with the gameworld (should be
not too hard to implement a satisfying system in a purely textual
environment), quests to complete (maybe in a variety of possible ways
and/or with choices to make which affect the game and the gameworld),
some more advanced interactivity like being able to lead a true
alternate life and being able to do something like getting a job,
buying a house, maybe even owning your shop (yes, I know, I'm
dreaming :D). I'd really like to hear some suggestions for a game like
this.

Thanks.

George Oliver

Dec 21, 2007, 11:35:55 PM12/21/07

It sounds like you're looking for a mud -- but I find it hard to
believe you haven't already considered this option.

lea...@yahoo.com

Dec 22, 2007, 2:09:28 AM12/22/07

I imagine somebody could code this, though, too, if they wanted.
"Fable"-y, but with words. (Words'd be a lot easier for an individual:
in 'Fable' the PC was the only character that aged, but in a work of
IF, everybody could age, years and years. They could die of old age.
No worries about graphics and all that.) It's a good idea. A world of
words the player could add to, buy in to, etc. The ending wouldn't
have to be especially literate, it could just be the player walking
away into the sunset, or dying on his bed, but.. I dunno. I'd play
that game. I'd help make that game.

- nic

samtam90

Dec 22, 2007, 9:40:46 AM12/22/07
> It sounds like you're looking for a mud -- but I find it hard to
> believe you haven't already considered this option.

Indeed I have. I've tried Achaea but found it way too complex - I'd
really like something single player.

George Oliver

Dec 23, 2007, 12:00:34 AM12/23/07

Notwithstanding that much of the entertainment in a mud comes from
other players, it's definitely doable to download a mud, run it on
your own computer (nearly any computer will work) and just play that
as single player. Or are you looking for something more involved than
that?

If you need assistance with that let me know.

Also, aren't the Eamon games kind of like this?

http://www.ifwiki.org/index.php/Eamon

samtam90

Dec 23, 2007, 1:21:12 PM12/23/07
> Also, aren't the Eamon games kind of like this?
>
> http://www.ifwiki.org/index.php/Eamon

Looks interesting. Might you suggest me some of the best adventures?
There are over 250 and I can't find reviews/info on them anywhere...

George Oliver

Dec 23, 2007, 2:03:26 PM12/23/07

I'm not the one for that, unfortunately. I haven't played them.

Depresiv

Dec 23, 2007, 3:12:46 PM12/23/07

Take a look to "The Black Phoenix", "Redemption" or "Banana Republic"
for a start. The authors of these three, by the way, have some other
good works too.

Hope it helps.

--Depresiv.

Eriorg

Dec 23, 2007, 3:14:08 PM12/23/07

There are reviews of Eamon games at:
http://www.eamonag.org/columns/reviews-all.html

samtam90

Dec 23, 2007, 5:31:24 PM12/23/07
On 23 Dic, 21:14, Eriorg <Eri...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> There are reviews of Eamon games at:http://www.eamonag.org/columns/reviews-all.html

Hey, wow, thanks.

Oh, and than you too for your suggestions Depresiv!

Poster

Dec 23, 2007, 11:47:39 PM12/23/07

leaf...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I imagine somebody could code this, though, too, if they wanted.
> "Fable"-y, but with words. (Words'd be a lot easier for an individual:
> in 'Fable' the PC was the only character that aged, but in a work of
> IF, everybody could age, years and years. They could die of old age.
> No worries about graphics and all that.) It's a good idea. A world of
> words the player could add to, buy in to, etc. The ending wouldn't
> have to be especially literate, it could just be the player walking
> away into the sunset, or dying on his bed, but.. I dunno. I'd play
> that game. I'd help make that game.
>
> - nic

I have dreamed of a text RPG for a long, long time. I am very
interested in making this happen and have time to contribute to it.

-- Poster
www.intaligo.com Building, INFORM, Seasons (upcoming!)

George Oliver

Dec 28, 2007, 4:42:53 PM12/28/07
On Dec 23, 8:47 pm, Poster <pos...@aurora.cotse.net> wrote:

> leaf...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > I'd play
> > that game. I'd help make that game.
>
> > - nic
>
> I have dreamed of a textRPGfor a long, long time. I am very

> interested in making this happen and have time to contribute to it.
>
> -- Posterwww.intaligo.comBuilding, INFORM, Seasons (upcoming!)

Has anyone gone further with this? We could form a team if anyone is
interested, say with a goal for IFComp 2008 or Spring Thing 2009.