Newbie on the group, I am an artist in training. Some self indtroduction.

1 view

Jay C

Nov 27, 2001, 9:31:14 PM11/27/01
Hi, I am new to this group.

I have studied art for the last 4 years. I attended a couple of
community colleges in California and also Attended Art Center College
of Design for a couple of semesters. I got kicked out and now I am
serving in the military. I hope I can get out of the military so that
I can continue my art education and become a commercial illustrator
and comicbook artist.

First, I am a great advocate of straight foward traditional art
education. I attended life drawing classes all the time. My art
education was basically established around figure drawing/painting. My
experience with landscape and still-life is a little bit lacking, but
I hope I can catch up with that. I am still struggling on art anatomy,
figure painting and color theory.

I believe in 'structured and technique-centered' art education,
teaching people how to draw and paint best as their potentials allow.
I do believe in intense drawing workshops everyday as a part of art
education. I do believe that all art departments in colleges should
offer figure drawing/painting workshops for open public.

I also do some commercial-oriented artworks. I do conceptual designs
such as creatures, weapons, vehicles, spaceship, costumes, characters
and whatnot. My major art influece are from these artists mentioned
below;

Andrew Loomis - a great illustrator in early 20th century. I have a
copy of his book

John Singer Sargent - a master painter. I really want to paint like
him!

Craig Mullins - one of the best 'matte painter' in film industry. He
worked in 'Contact' 'Final Fantasy' and numerous films. He is in his
mid 30s and he and I exchange messages on a BBS occasionally.

James Gurney - a great modernday illustrator of a vivid imagination.
he greated DINOTOPIA. Need I say more?

Gregory Manchess - largely self-taught, one of the greatest and
popular illustrator whose works are featured in TIME and National
Geographics.

Anders Zorn - a great Swedish portrait artist with only 4 colors...

Terryl Whitlatch - The lady who designed most of alien fauna in Star
Wars Episode 1.

Glen Orbik - One of the greatest illustrator who worked for numerous
comicbook covers with his powerful oil paintings.

Ikuto Yamashita - a visionary Japanese visual artist whose design
works are featured in Evangelion, a popular animated TV show

To list names a few.... they are some of the artists that I really
admire. I still need several years of training to get my foundation
art technique solid. Personally I can't stand those people who diss
artists with great techniques. I am a kind of person who believe that
artists should show some sign of his/her effort on their artworks.

RBrac53660

Nov 28, 2001, 2:51:24 AM11/28/01

The fact of what you have stated proves only in the fact that you are not a
artist but would be better at fixing the simple things in life. IE

Xena

Nov 28, 2001, 12:57:27 PM11/28/01
Study some art history. Most outgrow comic book art after high school.

"Jay C" <shin...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jay C

Nov 28, 2001, 2:37:29 PM11/28/01
rbrac...@aol.com (RBrac53660) wrote in message news:<20011128025124...@mb-ct.aol.com>...

What's wrong with my idea? People who share the same idea are
aboundant in California. (and some in east coast) These intensely
trained artists are the people who delvier editorial illustrations for
major magazines, create feature length animations and visual effects
for movies like Phantom Menace and Harry Potter.

Is it a some sort of 'regional' preference in art? Artists in west
coast have more open attitude on commercial art(illustrations,
entertainment design, comicbook art and so on...) because of the very
presence of entertainment industries in California and a few of the
best art institutes in the world (California Institute of Arts and Art
Center College of Design) that are commited to make student draw anf
paint for a living.

From my experience illustration requires a very intense and rigorous
training curve. You gotta know how to construct fugures from your
knowlege. You have to know about human anatomy and proportions. You
gotta learn how to paint with little references backed by a solid
understanding on color theory and light/shadow effect.
'
I have no idea why you think of me suitable for 'fixing simple stuff'
than being an artist.

Xena

Nov 28, 2001, 7:15:35 PM11/28/01

"Jay C" <shin...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
(snip)

> From my experience illustration requires a very intense and rigorous
> training curve. You gotta know how to construct fugures from your
> knowlege. You have to know about human anatomy and proportions. You
> gotta learn how to paint with little references backed by a solid
> understanding on color theory and light/shadow effect.
> '
> I have no idea why you think of me suitable for 'fixing simple stuff'
> than being an artist.

Cuz we don't really consider illustrators artists here. First, illustrators
can get real jobs drawing turkey dinners for Thanksgiving and anorexic
models to sell clothes and crap like that. Fine artists have to grovel and
steal and lie and cheat. Maybe that's just my family. Anyway, go to the
Usenet group alt.illustration and drool over Normal Rockwell with the other
illustrators and quit fantasizing about being a fine artist.

Jay C

Nov 28, 2001, 8:05:47 PM11/28/01
But there are many people in comicbook industry who have a very strong
background in figure drawing and painting. They might have started as
wannabes, but they eventually got the best educations they could
afford.

Yes, I am talking about the artists who were rigorously trained at
top-notch art institutes.

Most comicbook readers are males ranging 15 to 38 years old, AFAIK.

Flissy Bunch

Nov 29, 2001, 3:11:33 AM11/29/01
i'm actually going to defend this guy, here.

shame on you for so quickly dismissing illustration and comic book art as
"not art". i fully realize that this ng is for "fine art" although in the
rapidly changing world of contemporary art, the definition itself is rather
fluid. for starters, i suggest scott mccloud's "understanding comics" as a
great launching point for appreciation of comic book art. i'm a "fine
artist" myself and i have gained both greater technical understanding and
creative inspiration from his book.

secondly, he's come out to introduce himself to the group, and even
expressed interest in rigorous traditional art training as a plesant
gesture. it's not fair to him to dismiss his artwork so quickly and coldly,
especially without viewing it. a little encouragement would be kind, as
this is clearly an individual who is inspired to study the arts.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
you're no exception to the rule!

Holly Daize

Nov 29, 2001, 9:06:52 AM11/29/01
In article <9u4qnr$g0r$1...@news.umbc.edu>, sbu...@gl.umbc.edu says...

>i'm actually going to defend this guy, here.

I've been wondering where Mani is lately?
Here's an ally who would make a good Mani
trooper. Mani could teach him how to play
drums with a measured cadence - boom boom boom...

Chris

Nov 29, 2001, 10:02:47 AM11/29/01
Holly Daize wrote:

Jax - I'm curious as to why you would berate someone for their interest
in comic book art (other than of course, the just plain fun of
snarkiness). I mean, at least judging from your most recent offerings -
which I happened to like by the way - certainly seems to owe alot to
the comic book concept. Except the drawing skill, which is somewhat
weaker than the average.

Jay - if you are still reading this group - don't be too worried about
the reception here; just stand back and look at it as an experiment in
groupthink. It's rather similar to watching a group of seventh graders
jockeying for social position in their cliques, by bashing anyone who
might not subscribe to their ethic (or lack thereof). Most grow out of
it, some don't, and end their days on usenet...

As for the military aspect - have you looked at what the military has
to offer? One of my cousins served in the Coast Gaurd back in the 60's
and 70's, and if I remember correctly they helped him on his way as an
artist. And certainly military art itself has a broad and deep history
- take a look at "Canvas of War", which covers Canadian war artists,
or "They Drew Fire", about American artists of WWII. Even art based on
comic book styling can be quite powerful - leaf through any collection
of Bill Maudlin, for example.

Regards;

Chris

Holly Daize

Nov 29, 2001, 7:34:27 PM11/29/01
In article <3C064AA0...@ns.sympatico.ca>, bro...@ns.sympatico.ca says...

>Jax - I'm curious as to why you would berate someone for their interest
>in comic book art (other than of course, the just plain fun of
>snarkiness).

I guess I'm the "rec.arts.champion" SNARK!
As you apparently surmised, my intent wasn't
really to berate Jay, but to muse about our
resident drummer's quietness of late.

If someone wants to reinvent "fine art" to
include comic books, and comic genius, far
be it from me to interfere. One of the finest
comic geniuses currently working was a fellow
student of mine in my undergrad years, and
one of the most gifted people I knew in my
art school days - Chris Ware. I've mentioned
his succesful career in this forum before.

Danny

Dec 2, 2001, 2:23:53 AM12/2/01
Well i'm new too this group too. just joined this news posting thing,
and this is my first post (at least in a while). anyways, while your
dismissing what this guy does in art, remember another guy who
dismissed the non-realistic art of chagal and others... "anyone who
sees the sky green and the ground blue should be sterilized!" he
said... (something like that)