Mr Saldaamir

jbc...@erols.com

Aug 24, 2000, 1:54:53 AM8/24/00
A question for Lance or anyone who might know: Lance made a comment
recently about Saldaamir being in both "The Infinity Doctors" and "Beige
Planet Mars". Might someone tell me exactly where in these books he
appears?

Moreover, who is this character, anyway? "Unnatural History" made a
reference to him (pg. 168), and I've heard that he features in Lance's
story in Perfect Timing II, but do we have any clues as to who exactly
he might be (other that the fact that he knew the Doctor's father)? Will
he have a bearing on any of the story arcs in the EDAs? Is he a part of
the Advanced Research Project, mentioned in UH and that apparently will
have an impact in the future?

Sean Corcoran

Stephen Graves

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00

<jbc...@erols.com> wrote in message news:39A4B8AD...@erols.com...

Well, I asked this question a few months ago and no-one replied. Gits. It
looks like he's part of the Advanced Research Project, and he's chummy with
Joyce, who may or may not be the Doctor's father, may or may not be a
Faction Paradox agent, and may or may not be Sean Connery :-)

Saldaamir appears in flashback in UH and TID (the sequence where the Doctor
remembers dancing with Patience), and meets Benny in the opening few pages
of BPM; she has the feeling he's met her before, but can't remember where.
This, in turn, might be related to Fishy Business, which is set in Lance's
"what if the NAs had kept their license" universe, where Benny and McGann
have been shagging like rabbits for the past five years. This story deals
with the buggering-up of continuity on a grand scale (an impressive feat,
considering it's only three pages long), and sort-of reconciles the BF Benny
audios and the books lines. So, Saldaamir's involved in some way with
buggering-up continuity.

It's a pity, really. Given that Justin Richards' new editor-ship of the BBC
range is committed to minimising back-references, we might have seen the
last of Joyce, Saldaamir and the Advanced Research Project. OTOH, they might
have something to do with Lance's nebluous hints (God, how I hate nebulous
hints) about who's going to fill the power vacuum left by <Ancestor Cell
spoiler>.

SG

Andrew J. Brook

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00

<jbc...@erols.com> wrote in message news:39A4B8AD...@erols.com...

I suspect that he's nobody whatsoever. Lance Parkin's books keep leaving
interesting plots flapping around:

the eighth Doctor and the Brig in Hong Kong, discovering the secret of the
Embodiment of Gris (tDD)

the Master rending the constellation of Mandusus with a portion of the key
to Time (Cold Fusion)

the Master allying himself with the Embodiment of Gris (Cold Fusion)

Sit back, lie back, and ignore it.

--
Andrew J. Brook

Incidentally, I believe the Embodiment of Gris is one of the delegates in
the Mutants Masterplan. either that or he's John Travolta.

andrew...@my-deja.com

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00
In article <8o2og8$557$1...@uranium.btinternet.com>,
"Stephen Graves" <Stephen...@hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

OTOH, they might
> have something to do with Lance's nebluous hints (God, how I hate
nebulous
> hints) about who's going to fill the power vacuum left by <Ancestor
Cell
> spoiler>.
>
> SG

> That's all we get from Lance currently, to the exclusion of all else.

SPOILERS for current and forthcoming novels, sort of
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?

See his comments on the Doctor's son in Father Time, see his imploring
us to skip straight to "The Burning" (ie, "Don't read Ancestor Cell,
it's crap")

And indeed his novels keep spinning out untold stories in the form of
nebulous hints (see my other post in this strand)

--
AJB

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Iain Truskett

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00
* Andrew J. Brook <andrew...@hothothotmail.com>:
[...]

> I suspect that he's nobody whatsoever. Lance Parkin's books keep
> leaving interesting plots flapping around:
[...]

> Sit back, lie back, and ignore it.

Can't we use our imagination instead?

i.e. sit back, lie down and imagine possible stories.

It's so much more fun than simply ignoring things. Might as well ignore
the whole series.

cheers,
--
iain truskett, aka Koschei. <http://eh.org/~koschei/>
"I'd just like to take this opportunity to say: Iain Truskett, you

Lance Parkin

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00

Hang on - I never said that. The Ancestor Cell is the end of a story,
and as such it's not a jumping-on point for new or returning
readers. As anyone following the EDAs knows, there's a change
in direction, a line's been drawn and tAC is on the other side
of that line.

My 'skip to The Burning' comments were directed at people
who'd expressed their disquiet about the whole Mad Larry
Arc - anyone who thinks that Interference is 'heresy' is
better off not reading tAC.

>And indeed his novels keep spinning out untold stories in the form of
>nebulous hints (see my other post in this strand)

I'm not going to spell out every detail of a book that I only
delivered to the BBC a couple of weeks ago, and which
isn't out until next year. If you want to know what happens
in Father Time, you'll have to wait, and I'm not going to
apologise for that.

Likewise Mr Saldaamir - there's a story to be told, but not
yet. For the moment, see if you can solve the groovy
mystery before the answer's spelt out.

Lance

Gordon Dempster

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00

"Lance Parkin" <la...@lanceparkin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

<snikt>

> Likewise Mr Saldaamir - there's a story to be told, but not
> yet. For the moment, see if you can solve the groovy
> mystery before the answer's spelt out.

"It's Mr. Saldaamir! The bloke from the Advanced Research Project!"

"And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you pesky kids!"

--
Gordon Dempster : "Make a cup of tea, put a record on..."
Tune Of The Day : Under The Water (Starecase Mix) - Brother Brown

Meddling Mick

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00
On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:58:01 GMT, la...@lanceparkin.freeserve.co.uk
(Lance Parkin) wrote:
<snip>

>Likewise Mr Saldaamir - there's a story to be told, but not
>yet. For the moment, see if you can solve the groovy
>mystery before the answer's spelt out.

S'easy, innit? Saldaamir's the Doctor's Evil Son, and he's one of the
Bad Guys the Time Lords worry about in 'Infinity Doctors'.

But probably not. No, surely nobody'd do anything that daft. Would
they?

<thinks>

Does anyone know if Chris Bulis has a commission in the pipeline...?
--
(Meddling) Mick Gair

'Why... that power would set me down among the dead men!'
(excerpt from 'The Davros Summerfield Adventures')

Ed Jefferson

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00

But... a line hasn't been drawn, because IMHO, the Burning (or parts of it)
would be very confusing without the last 10 or so pages of tAC...

>My 'skip to The Burning' comments were directed at people
>who'd expressed their disquiet about the whole Mad Larry
>Arc - anyone who thinks that Interference is 'heresy' is
>better off not reading tAC.

Please don't call it the Mad Larry Arc- it associates LM with tAC. Can we call
it the 'Let's brick Steve Cole arc' instead? No?
--
Or something...
Ed Jefferson, posting through time from 2004

William December Starr

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00
In article <39a552b...@news.freeserve.net>,
la...@lanceparkin.freeserve.co.uk (Lance Parkin) said:

> My 'skip to The Burning' comments were directed at people
> who'd expressed their disquiet about the whole Mad Larry
> Arc

Oh, if only it had been...

-- William December Starr <wds...@panix.com>

R.J. Smith

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00
In article <20000824140555...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,
Ed Jefferson <edjef...@aol.comiluvjam> wrote:
>la...@lanceparkin.freeserve.co.uk (Lance Parkin) wrote:

Ancestor Cell and The Burning minor spoilers

>>Hang on - I never said that. The Ancestor Cell is the end of a story,
>>and as such it's not a jumping-on point for new or returning
>>readers. As anyone following the EDAs knows, there's a change
>>in direction, a line's been drawn and tAC is on the other side
>>of that line.

>But... a line hasn't been drawn, because IMHO, the Burning (or parts of it)
>would be very confusing without the last 10 or so pages of tAC...

That's not the point, though (nor is it really true, IMO). New readers can
come to The Burning with no idea how the Doctor lost his memory and not be
put off. In fact, I'd wager that they'd probably get more out of the book,
as they'd be in the same boat as the Doctor.

What's far more off-putting to casual readers, IMO is the sort of thing
where the characters and the author both know what's going on, but neglect
to tell the reader (this is why most of the in-joke humour in the books
fails as well). The Burning doesn't have that [as of page 150].

- Robert Smith?

Ed Jefferson

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00
But, a new reader might assume that things which were in fact dealt with in tAC
would be dealt with later in the arc... it might not put them off, but it may
confuse them...

Jonn Elledge

Aug 24, 2000, 8:44:01 PM8/24/00

>"Lance Parkin" <la...@lanceparkin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>
><snikt>
>
>> Likewise Mr Saldaamir - there's a story to be told, but not
>> yet. For the moment, see if you can solve the groovy
>> mystery before the answer's spelt out.
>
>"It's Mr. Saldaamir! The bloke from the Advanced Research Project!"
>
>"And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you pesky kids!"

Congratulations on reaching the fabled quotefile. Population: you.

I think Saldamiir and I used to date, but I was pretty drunk for most of that
year, so it might just have been some ugly girl at college. With blue skin.

----
Jonn Elledge, the thinking woman's bit of rough

Winner of the Perier Award for Spectacularly Failing Publicity, Edinburgh
Fringe Festival 2000

Stephen Graves

Aug 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/25/00

Jonn Elledge <jonnyo...@aol.comstopit> wrote in message

> >"Lance Parkin" <la...@lanceparkin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> ><snikt>
> >
> >> Likewise Mr Saldaamir - there's a story to be told, but not
> >> yet. For the moment, see if you can solve the groovy
> >> mystery before the answer's spelt out.
> >
> >"It's Mr. Saldaamir! The bloke from the Advanced Research Project!"
> >
> >"And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you pesky kids!"
> >

> Congratulations on reaching the fabled quotefile. Population: you.
>
> I think Saldamiir and I used to date, but I was pretty drunk for most of
that
> year, so it might just have been some ugly girl at college. With blue
skin.

It wasn't whatshername from the X-Men movie was it? You know, I've given
some thought to that film over the past few days - f'rinstance, the
marvellous idea of casting Ian McKellen as *a supervillain.* *Ian McKellen,*
for the love of God. Hahahahaha... But who in their right mind casts Rebecca
Romijn-Stamos and then covers her in blue latex scales?

SG

Jonathan Blum

Aug 25, 2000, 7:02:37 PM8/25/00
In article <8o2og8$557$1...@uranium.btinternet.com>,
Stephen Graves <Stephen...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>It's a pity, really. Given that Justin Richards' new editor-ship of the BBC
>range is committed to minimising back-references, we might have seen the
>last of Joyce, Saldaamir and the Advanced Research Project.

Well, for what it's worth -- when I submitted "The Why Knot", I
specifically mentioned that one of the characters in it was going to be
Daniel Joyce under another alias (with no explicit reference to UH). And
I think I mentioned Saldaamir as well, too. Justin rejected the book a
couple of synopsis-drafts later, but he never mentioned any problem with
them appearing.

So who knows, maybe eventually...

Regards,
Jon Blum

jbc...@erols.com

Aug 26, 2000, 12:29:32 AM8/26/00
<SOME SPOILERS FOR "THE INFINITY DOCTORS", "UNNATURAL HISTORY" FOLLOW>

Stephen Graves wrote:

> <jbc...@erols.com> wrote in message news:39A4B8AD...@erols.com...

> > Moreover, who is this character, anyway? "Unnatural History" made a
> > reference to him (pg. 168), and I've heard that he features in Lance's
> > story in Perfect Timing II, but do we have any clues as to who exactly
> > he might be (other that the fact that he knew the Doctor's father)? Will
> > he have a bearing on any of the story arcs in the EDAs? Is he a part of
> > the Advanced Research Project, mentioned in UH and that apparently will
> > have an impact in the future?
>

> Well, I asked this question a few months ago and no-one replied. Gits.

I am astounded by their gittishness. :-) I noticed that this time round,
I didn't get anything near a straight answer from anyone in the know,
either (not that I was expecting them to spill the beans, but...).

> It
> looks like he's part of the Advanced Research Project, and he's chummy with
> Joyce, who may or may not be the Doctor's father, may or may not be a
> Faction Paradox agent, and may or may not be Sean Connery :-)

Well, I went and looked up all the references/appearances put in by
Saldaamir. In "The Infinity Doctors," he's mentioned as one of several
aliens in the Doctor's House on Gallifrey, when Doc was younger and
falling in love with Patience. "Unnatural History" pegs him as a friend
and associate of the Doctor's father, whoever *that* might be (the two
most likely candidates for me being either Joyce or Quences from
"Lungbarrow"). And in "Beige Planet Mars," he is headed back for San
Francisco in the year 2595. Possibly coincidentally, Joyce is living in
San Francisco in 2003, and it is strongly implied that SanFran is where
the bulk of the Advanced Research Project is taking place. So perhaps,
since it's also implied in UH that the Project's employees are
time-travel-capable (especially since Time Lady Larna from TID is
apparently in their company), Joyce and Saldaamir are both working on
the Project, in the same city, but in different time zones.

It's interesting to note that TID specifically notes that Saldaamir and
several other aliens are present at a Family function, since both that
book and "Cold Fusion" state that the Doctor's family was arrested for
"consorting with aliens". Whatever it is that the ARP is working on,
it's clear that the High Council probably didn't like it. We know from
UH that the Doctor's biodata scar gave the Project "to put its
mathematics into applied practice" (pg. 82). They are also looking to
get biodata information from Griffin and his Society (pg. 221). So
biodata is important to their research. But what are they going to do
with that information once they have it? It must be something that the
Time Lords are against, if they're willing to imprison and probaby kill
members of the Doctor's family just because they had been "consorting"
with aliens.

I'll remind you that according to "Interference," the Enemy come from
Earth. And the Advanced Research Project is on Earth. Hmmm...

> Saldaamir appears in flashback in UH and TID (the sequence where the Doctor
> remembers dancing with Patience), and meets Benny in the opening few pages
> of BPM; she has the feeling he's met her before, but can't remember where.
> This, in turn, might be related to Fishy Business, which is set in Lance's
> "what if the NAs had kept their license" universe, where Benny and McGann
> have been shagging like rabbits for the past five years. This story deals
> with the buggering-up of continuity on a grand scale (an impressive feat,
> considering it's only three pages long), and sort-of reconciles the BF Benny
> audios and the books lines. So, Saldaamir's involved in some way with
> buggering-up continuity.

Buggered-up continuity does seem to be an effect of messing around with
biodata. So I wouldn't be surprised if Saldaamir and the Project have
something to do with that. But are they causing the screw ups, or are
they like an anti-Paradox agency, trying to fix what the Faction has
done to the timelines?

> It's a pity, really. Given that Justin Richards' new editor-ship of the BBC
> range is committed to minimising back-references, we might have seen the

> last of Joyce, Saldaamir and the Advanced Research Project. OTOH, they might

> have something to do with Lance's nebluous hints (God, how I hate nebulous
> hints) about who's going to fill the power vacuum left by <Ancestor Cell
> spoiler>.

Hopefully, we will still get the chance to see their story told. Maybe
Lance and Kate are working in something for their 2001 books. We'll just
have to wait and see.

Sean Corcoran

andrew...@my-deja.com

Aug 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/26/00
In article <39a552b...@news.freeserve.net>,

la...@lanceparkin.freeserve.co.uk (Lance Parkin) wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:48:05 GMT, andrew...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >In article <8o2og8$557$1...@uranium.btinternet.com>,
> > "Stephen Graves" <Stephen...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> ><snip>

> >OTOH, they might
> >> have something to do with Lance's nebluous hints (God, how I hate
> >nebulous
> >> hints) about who's going to fill the power vacuum left by <Ancestor
> >Cell
> >> spoiler>.
> >>
> >> SG
> >

> >> That's all we get from Lance currently, to the exclusion of all
else.

> >SPOILERS for current and forthcoming novels, sort of
> >?
> >?
> >?
> >?
> >?
> >?
> >?
> >?
> >?
> >?
> >?
> >?
> >?
> >?
> >?
> >?
> >

> >See his comments on the Doctor's son in Father Time, see his
imploring
> >us to skip straight to "The Burning" (ie, "Don't read Ancestor Cell,
> >it's crap")
>
> Hang on - I never said that.

Sorry, we must be talking at cross-purposes. My fault. It's just that
your comments in LIGHT of reading TAC seem... welll.... prophetic. in
that sense

The Ancestor Cell is the end of a story,
> and as such it's not a jumping-on point for new or returning
> readers. As anyone following the EDAs knows, there's a change
> in direction, a line's been drawn and tAC is on the other side
> of that line.
>

> My 'skip to The Burning' comments were directed at people
> who'd expressed their disquiet about the whole Mad Larry

> Arc - anyone who thinks that Interference is 'heresy' is
> better off not reading tAC.

No kidding.

> >And indeed his novels keep spinning out untold stories in the form of
> >nebulous hints (see my other post in this strand)
>
> I'm not going to spell out every detail of a book that I only
> delivered to the BBC a couple of weeks ago,

Few of us want you to. But that is not the same as said "nebulous
hints", of the "Is there any truth in these rumours?"/"Some" type,
which don't really help anyone.

and which
> isn't out until next year. If you want to know what happens
> in Father Time, you'll have to wait, and I'm not going to
> apologise for that.
>

> Likewise Mr Saldaamir - there's a story to be told, but not
> yet.

I'll bet.

For the moment, see if you can solve the groovy
> mystery before the answer's spelt out.

"Groovy"? "GROOVY"?

Right. I'm defecting to Star Trek if any of your forthcoming Who stuff
is at all "groovy". Brr.
> Lance

andrew...@my-deja.com

Aug 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/26/00
In article <39a75e7d...@news.freeserve.net>,

Sutur...@SutureSelf.freeserve.co.uk (Meddling Mick) wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:58:01 GMT, la...@lanceparkin.freeserve.co.uk
> (Lance Parkin) wrote:
> <snip>
> >Likewise Mr Saldaamir - there's a story to be told, but not
> >yet. For the moment, see if you can solve the groovy

> >mystery before the answer's spelt out.
>
> S'easy, innit? Saldaamir's the Doctor's Evil Son, and he's one of the
> Bad Guys the Time Lords worry about in 'Infinity Doctors'.
>
> But probably not. No, surely nobody'd do anything that daft. Would
> they?
>
> <thinks>
>
> Does anyone know if Chris Bulis has a commission in the pipeline...?
> --
> (Meddling) Mick Gair
>
> 'Why... that power would set me down among the dead men!'
> (excerpt from 'The Davros Summerfield Adventures')

I refer you to my William Hartnell estate of/Father Time copyright post.

--
AJB

Anyway, I LIKED Imperial Moon. So sue me. Hmm, what's this, a summons?

Oh yeah, and Jeremy Fitzoliver's class, too. Oi, Chris, hows about a
Jeremy novel next time round?