Just War questions.

Chris Schumacher

Apr 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/25/99
These two questions have been bugging me for a while, does anyone know the
answers?

1. What does LONGBOW stand for? I guessed League Of Nations Global Bizarre
Occurences Watch right off the bat, is this even close?

2. DWM claimed that there was a reference to the unmade Second Doctor story
"Operation:Werewolf", I'm afraid I didn't spot this. Where is it?

-==Kensu==-

Dangermouse

Apr 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/25/99

Chris Schumacher <ke...@madison.tdsnet.com> wrote in article
<37239711...@news.tdsnet.com>...

> These two questions have been bugging me for a while, does anyone know
the
> answers?
>
> 1. What does LONGBOW stand for? I guessed League Of Nations Global
Bizarre
> Occurences Watch right off the bat, is this even close?

Dunno

> 2. DWM claimed that there was a reference to the unmade Second Doctor
story
> "Operation:Werewolf", I'm afraid I didn't spot this. Where is it?

Dr Von Wer is mention, IIRC.

--
"When two hunters go after the same prey they usually end up shooting each
other in the back - and we don't want to shoot each other in the back, do

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Mansion/4845/
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Bistro/7312/
-------

Dr. Evil

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
Chris Schumacher wrote:

> These two questions have been bugging me for a while, does anyone know the
> answers?
>
> 1. What does LONGBOW stand for? I guessed League Of Nations Global Bizarre
> Occurences Watch right off the bat, is this even close?
>
> 2. DWM claimed that there was a reference to the unmade Second Doctor story
> "Operation:Werewolf", I'm afraid I didn't spot this. Where is it?

*More* references to unmade Who stories in a Lance Parkin
book? My God, it's not enough that for most DW books who
have to have seen or read all the stories so far; with Lance
you've got to be up on the comics, the alternative
universes, the stuff on the ice lolly sticks, the stuff in
the Nth Doctor, the stuff in the Nth Doctor that Jean-Marc
L'Officier made up, the stuff that wasn't made, the stuff
that was made but was cut out, the stuff that never even got
as far as the printed page but Andrew Pixley talked to the
writer's widow and that's what was going to happen
apparently, the stuff that people offer theories for in
obscure fanzines, the stuff that people offer theories for
on stuff that was made up on radw from three years ago, the
latest installment of Charles Daniels episode guide o' porn,
this week's report on the K9 audios on BBC South, any idle
suggestions made over the Emmerdale conference table
regarding Annie Sugden's 'regeneration'...

--
dr-...@belisarius.freeserve.co.uk
If you want a friend, feed any animal

Paul Andinach

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Chris Schumacher wrote:

> 1. What does LONGBOW stand for? I guessed League Of Nations Global
> Bizarre Occurences Watch right off the bat, is this even close?

Since it's obviously a UNIT clone, the LON is obvious, but I don't
think we're ever told what the rest of it is.

I doubt "Bizarre Occurrences" would ever appear in an official
acronym, though.
Perhaps League Of Nations (Great Britain) Operations Watch?
This would go well with United Nations Intelligence Taskforce, which
also doesn't give you any idea what it's for... :)

> 2. DWM claimed that there was a reference to the unmade Second
> Doctor story "Operation:Werewolf", I'm afraid I didn't spot this.
> Where is it?

Kendrick refers to something called "the Gruber-Schneider Device",
apparently. Lance explains it for those of us who didn't spot it on
p69 of _A History of the Universe_.
AHotU doesn't say what LONGBOW stands for, though. I'm beginning to
suspect that he just liked the acronym, and is waiting for us to come
up with a good meaning so he can say "Yes, that's it."

Paul
--
"I'm reading a book called *Thesaurus*, by Peter Mark Roget. I'm up
to Chapter 427, entitled "Semitransparency". It's a good story, but

h.p...@ucl.ac.uk

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
Dr. Evil <dr-...@belisarius.freeserve.co.uk> wrote
> Chris Schumacher wrote [...]

> > DWM claimed that there was a reference to the unmade Second Doctor story
> > "Operation:Werewolf", I'm afraid I didn't spot this. Where is it?
>
> *More* references to unmade Who stories in a Lance Parkin
> book? My God, it's not enough that for most DW books who
> have to have seen or read all the stories so far; with Lance
> you've got to be up on the comics, the alternative
> universes, the stuff on the ice lolly sticks, the stuff in
> the Nth Doctor, the stuff in the Nth Doctor that Jean-Marc
> L'Officier made up, the stuff that wasn't made, the stuff
> that was made but was cut out, the stuff that never even got
> as far as the printed page but Andrew Pixley talked to the
> writer's widow and that's what was going to happen
> apparently, the stuff that people offer theories for in
> obscure fanzines, the stuff that people offer theories for
> on stuff that was made up on radw from three years ago, the
> latest installment of Charles Daniels episode guide o' porn,
> this week's report on the K9 audios on BBC South, any idle
> suggestions made over the Emmerdale conference table
> regarding Annie Sugden's 'regeneration'...

Well, I suppose that might be enough to get you through chapter one...

--
Henry

Chris Schumacher

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 14:01:16 +0800, Paul Andinach
<pand...@mermaid.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

>Since it's obviously a UNIT clone, the LON is obvious, but I don't
>think we're ever told what the rest of it is.

Predecessor, rather. Actually, UNIT has some fairly interesting roots in both
directions, I haven't read Christmas On a Rational Planet yet, but supposedly it
shows that it goes fairly far back. And it's been speculated that the Knights of
Jeneve are what remains of UNIT. (Like how the Freemasons are the remanats of
the Templar Knights)

This also reminds me of something. According to the encyclopedia, the League of
Nations was around for roughly two years after the UN was formed. What did they
do during that time? What did they do during the war, for that matter?

-==Kensu==-

David Brider

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
Chris Schumacher wrote in message <3724298f...@news.tdsnet.com>...
>...it's been speculated that the Knights of

>Jeneve are what remains of UNIT. (Like how the Freemasons are the remanats
of
>the Templar Knights)

Speculated? I thought that was a pretty straightforward reading of Justin
Richards' intention in "Dragon's Wrath."

David.

--
"Belief was never meant to be boring."
-------------------Deliriou5?-------------------

MEZZAMORPHIS. DELIRIOU5?
AVAILABLE FROM ALL GOOD RECORD SHOPS
OUT NOW

My web page is at
http://www.dwjbrider.freeserve.co.uk/homepage.htm

Lance Parkin

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:30:24 GMT, ke...@madison.tdsnet.com (Chris
Schumacher) wrote:

>These two questions have been bugging me for a while, does anyone know the
>answers?
>

>1. What does LONGBOW stand for? I guessed League Of Nations Global Bizarre
>Occurences Watch right off the bat, is this even close?

I couldn't get past League of Nations Global ... so congratulations,
you've got the right answer!

>2. DWM claimed that there was a reference to the unmade Second Doctor story

>"Operation:Werewolf", I'm afraid I didn't spot this. Where is it?

P193-4. The plot summary of Operation Werewolf was printed in DWB 50
(and reprinted in the DWB Compendium'). It wasn't 'unmade' so much
as 'completely made up'. As I understand it, the author of the
original article and DWB were unaware they'd fallen for a fan hoax.

Lance

David Brider

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
Lance Parkin wrote in message <37245652...@news.freeserve.net>...

>On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:30:24 GMT, ke...@madison.tdsnet.com (Chris
>Schumacher) wrote:
>
>>These two questions have been bugging me for a while, does anyone know the
>>answers?

>>2. DWM claimed that there was a reference to the unmade Second Doctor

story
>>"Operation:Werewolf", I'm afraid I didn't spot this. Where is it?
>
>P193-4. The plot summary of Operation Werewolf was printed in DWB 50
>(and reprinted in the DWB Compendium'). It wasn't 'unmade' so much
>as 'completely made up'. As I understand it, the author of the
>original article and DWB were unaware they'd fallen for a fan hoax.

Yeah - I read something about Operation Werewolf being a hoax fairly
recently (within the last couple of years or so - more recently than the
original article, at any rate). When did the hoax come to light, and how?

Stephen Graves

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99

>This also reminds me of something. According to the encyclopedia, the
League of
>Nations was around for roughly two years after the UN was formed. What did
they
>do during that time? What did they do during the war, for that matter?

The League of Nations ceased, practically speaking, to exist in the
mid-to-late thirties (after Mussolini's invasion of Abyssinia). By that
time, it was clear that the various member states were simply following
their own interests, leading to a brief resurgence of "cloak-and-dagger
diplomacy."

By the time the war broke out, Germany and Japan had already left (in the
early thirties) and Germany had taken over most of the other member states
in Eastern Europe. The USA had never actually been a member, so the only
remaining leading members were Britain and Italy (who were, of course, on
opposite sides).

BTW, interesting little point: one of the leading exponents of British
rearmament in the early thirties was Neville "I have in my hand this piece
of paper...." Chamberlain. One of his main opponents on this issue was (get
this) Winston Churchill.

SG

Paul Andinach

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Chris Schumacher wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 14:01:16 +0800, Paul Andinach
> <pand...@mermaid.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > Since it's obviously a UNIT clone, the LON is obvious, but I don't
> > think we're ever told what the rest of it is.
>
> Predecessor, rather.

Yes, technically, in a strictly chronological sense. But from our
point of view it came into existence after, and probably because of,
UNIT.

> This also reminds me of something. According to the encyclopedia,
> the League of Nations was around for roughly two years after the UN
> was formed. What did they do during that time? What did they do
> during the war, for that matter?

Absolutely nothing, in answer to both questions.
The LoN was even more useless than the UN.

Chris Schumacher

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:19:12 GMT, la...@lanceparkin.freeserve.co.uk (Lance
Parkin) wrote:

>I couldn't get past League of Nations Global ... so congratulations,
>you've got the right answer!

Woohoo! Since I figured it out, can I killed in one of your upcoming books? :)

-==Kensu==-

Perry Armstrong

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99

David Brider wrote:

> Lance Parkin wrote in message <37245652...@news.freeserve.net>...
> >On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:30:24 GMT, ke...@madison.tdsnet.com (Chris
> >Schumacher) wrote:
> >
> >>These two questions have been bugging me for a while, does anyone know the
> >>answers?
>
> >>2. DWM claimed that there was a reference to the unmade Second Doctor
> story
> >>"Operation:Werewolf", I'm afraid I didn't spot this. Where is it?
> >
> >P193-4. The plot summary of Operation Werewolf was printed in DWB 50
> >(and reprinted in the DWB Compendium'). It wasn't 'unmade' so much
> >as 'completely made up'. As I understand it, the author of the
> >original article and DWB were unaware they'd fallen for a fan hoax.
>
> Yeah - I read something about Operation Werewolf being a hoax fairly
> recently (within the last couple of years or so - more recently than the
> original article, at any rate). When did the hoax come to light, and how?

If it was a fan hoax then it was a damn good one. Very creative. Well done,
whoever you are!

I remember thinking it would have made a great story, and wondering why they
didn't use it in the (beset-by-script-and-budget-problems) sixth season,
particularly as it would have been a relatively cheap story to produce as most
of the sets & costumes could be taken from stock (well, much like "The War
Games" really).

Perry Armstrong.

R.J. Smith

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
In article <37245652...@news.freeserve.net>,

Lance Parkin <la...@lanceparkin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:30:24 GMT, ke...@madison.tdsnet.com (Chris
>Schumacher) wrote:

>>2. DWM claimed that there was a reference to the unmade Second Doctor story
>>"Operation:Werewolf", I'm afraid I didn't spot this. Where is it?

>P193-4. The plot summary of Operation Werewolf was printed in DWB 50
>(and reprinted in the DWB Compendium'). It wasn't 'unmade' so much
>as 'completely made up'. As I understand it, the author of the
>original article and DWB were unaware they'd fallen for a fan hoax.

If it was a hoax, it certainly was an elaborate one... since we had Robert
Kitts at an Australian convention! (I missed his talk, but I met him and
he's real)

Are you *sure* it was a hoax?

- Robert Smith?

Susannah Tiller

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
Hey, I remember that - Tri(con), Feb 1995. I was at the talk, and I
don't remember much of it, but Kitts did say he'd submitted a proposal
for Operation Werewolf. Don't remember anything about the plot, though.

Regards,
Susannah :-)

--
Susannah Tiller - susanna...@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au