Best & Worst of Disney Channel/Disney XD in 2014

tmc...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2014, 6:26:09 PM12/24/14
http://www.toonzone.net/forums/disney-pixar-forum/403461-best-worst-disney-channel-disney-xd-2014-a.html#post4838931

The worst thing to happen, hands down to DC - the lack of animation on siad channel. There's NO EXCUSE for it at all, and deep down, I know all of these animated shows on DXD could get cancelled without enough ratings. Darn Shame too - GF, WoY, The 7D, Randy Cunningham, etc. - ALL GOOD SHOWS, IMHO, that don't need to be cut down by such TRASH behavior.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/disney-pixar-forum/403461-best-worst-disney-channel-disney-xd-2014-a.html#post4839331

Star Wars Rebels got tons of press and attention, and most of it was deserved. It's probably the best new action cartoon of 2014, though admittedly there's very little competition there...

The Marvel shows got better, even if they're still not best adaptations. So that's progress.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/disney-pixar-forum/403461-best-worst-disney-channel-disney-xd-2014-a.html#post4839911

Is this the EXACT SAME quote we've been saying about Disney Channel every year since 2006? It's kinda like when your favorite college football or NFL team thinks you're gonna win a championship every year or it's a bust, and you're like "There's always next year right?", and it's the same quote every single year while you keep staying irrelevant and mediocre every year.

So anyways, Disney Channel has been mediocre every year since 2006 or around the time the cartoons started getting taken off the air completely, however, the tween-bop music/sitcoms has been their main focus since the Vault/Zoog era ended around Fall of 2002. It will be the same scenario with Disney Channel every year.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/disney-pixar-forum/403461-best-worst-disney-channel-disney-xd-2014-a.html#post4840661

Disney Channel sucked like always, the only good thing I can say is the expansion of Disney Replay but that's just it and plus they only show the same shows anyways, so I'll just go to Disney XD.

BEST:

Great New Shows this year: Doraemon's English Dub and The 7D had me watching XD more than I ever did.

Kim Possible reruns returning: This show hasn't aired at all after Toon Disney became XD, and yeah it was already on the Disney Replay block, but either way, nice to see a daily spot. Though I wish they would show the series in order (they hardly show the first episodes and they show Season 4 too much)

Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder episodes: The more I see these shows, the more I like these shows better than anything on CN and Nick right now.

Reduced live-action

WORST:

Random scheduling for premieres: The scheduling for the premieres have been really random recently, though this isn't really bad since the shows still do well otherwise. I still find this pretty odd.

Doraemon's treatment: The treatment wasn't really bad early in it's run and the show did pretty well otherwise and got renewed, but they burned the episodes off too quickly at 11AM when kids are at school when we got to late-August-September.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/disney-pixar-forum/403461-best-worst-disney-channel-disney-xd-2014-a.html#post4841111

- I really admire what they're doing with Rebels. It really does feel like they've learned their lesson from Tron Uprising. Giving it a better lead-in (Wreck It Ralph vs. Race to Witch Mountain), airing it more consistently on the main network (DC premieres are before 10pm, and they occasionally air it on weekday afternoons even on DC), and the immediate promotions with Subway and Walmart... they are really pushing this. Of course, even if they did give it the same treatment as Tron, I'm sure it would still do leagues better, because if you slap the words "Star Wars" on merchandise, it's sure to fly off the shelves.

- Acquiring Doraemon. This is the first time a non-"fighting and challenge" anime has aired on US TV (not counting Stitch!'s brief run) since Magical DoReMi in 2005-06 on 4Kids TV (FOX). Say what you want about the rest of the treatment, but they've been treating it very well otherwise. Even after it, they ran it twice a day, and I think they still are.

- The anima-cation block in general. Even before that block, they really seemed to enjoy airing animated shows on weekday mornings (the majority of weekday mornings was animation), so they did the smart thing: take full advantage of it.

- Expanding the replay block. I hope they experiment with it. Some might find it questionable to air a Shake It Up Christmas special in it, but if they're gonna do replay in primetime, they need something that's only semi-old.

- Disney XD's schedule. Period. I swear, there's so much variety. It's starting to look like Cartoon Network's city era in terms of variety.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/disney-pixar-forum/403461-best-worst-disney-channel-disney-xd-2014-a.html#post4841201

Best Moments:

Girl Meets World: Like a lot of shows that I like, I still need to catch up on the series, but what I saw was really solid. It has the nostalgia appeal of characters from the original series while bringing in a new audience with the new leads. It combines both elements quite nicely and it's a really fun show.

Gravity Falls: I lost track of the season two premieres, although I'm not sure if it has been moved to Disney XD completely at this point either, but it was still quite fun when I was watching it.

More reruns of older shows: I'm not sure if this started this year or last year, but either way, I do like how they give some attention to their older shows. It's better to air them at midnight rather than at 4AM since there's a better chance that more people would be awake to watch them around then.

Worst Moments:

Lack of variety in their schedule: This is a general issue with Disney Channel, but most of the time, they almost always have a mini-marathon of their live-action shows and unless it's Girl Meets World or Dog With a Blog, that just tunes me out. The nights that they play movies seems more inconsistent to me, but maybe I'm not checking their schedule often enough.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/disney-pixar-forum/403461-best-worst-disney-channel-disney-xd-2014-a.html#post4844261

best:
more Gravity Falls and Randy Cunningham
The 7D

worst:
Disney moving all of it's animation to Disney XD