Atlanta Trip Observations, Some

Icono Clast

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

HE NEW(!) SOUTH:
In the late '50s, I hitch-hiked from San Francisco to New
Orleans via
Saint Louis passing through, among others, the states of Kansas,
Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, and Texas where I, just a
tourist passing through, saw such horrors and heard such remarks that my
shame that those people were citizens of the same nation as I was
troublingly profound.
In the late '60s I travelled via motorcycle through, among
others, the
states of Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee where the changes, if any
eluded my notice.
In the '70s I managed to avoid The South but in the '80s,
travelling by
air, I revisited New Orleans where change was apparent and spent a few
'tween-'plane hours in downtown Atlanta.
Following my '60s visit, I was interviewed by Dave McElhatton on
radio
station KCBS during which I predicted that, when The South changed, it
would be the best place in the US for Blacks to live. I don't know
whether that's come to be true, but I do know that Blacks are returning
to The South.
On this May 1998 visit to The South via automobile, I observed
that
there appears to be a truly New South. If my observation is correct, and
I hope it is, the change is not merely significant, but absolutely
incredible!
One sees these changes in the little things such as my
overhearing a
White food server's concern (Memphis) for the satisfaction of two Black
women who could not hear her. Before, the women would not have even been
in the restaurant unless they had minimum-wage jobs there.
The thickly-accented 70-ish White woman insisting that the young
Black
man had truly arrived at the line before she whereas in the past, had
there been a line of a hundred Blacks, that same White woman would have
walked to the front of the line.
The proportion of inter-racial couples I saw was far greater
than I've
seen elsewhere and the apparent acceptance by society appears to be
total.
Somewhere a Black man flipt me The Bird for what he perceived as
some
driving offense. In the past, he mighta wanted t'do that but would have
feared to do so.
But there's an indication that not all's as well as I'd like to
believe
as Blacks are everywhere during the light of day but they weren't in the
bars where I was at night.
The South has long been known for its politeness. Surrounded by
great
numbers of youths at amusement parks, I observed that the tradition
continues. They were far-better behaved, in every respect, that local
youths.

FAT:
Waiting in amusement park lines can be tedius and looking at
others in
the same situation is one of the most interesting things to do. It
didn't take me long to notice how fat the people were, so fat, in fact,
that I started to count them. It seems that every time I counted, a
third of the people I counted was fat. No, I don't mean merely
overweight and I didn't count beer bellies, either, but real fat people,
most of them quite young. Many of them also smoke cigarettes. It's sad.
Their lives will probably be very short.

DANCING:
I was not surprised to find that the level of dancing in the
places I
managed to dance wasn't very high. At home in San Francisco, I'm, at
best, an average dancer but out there on The Road I'm pretty hot. Too
bad.
Someone recently commented that good instruction's hard to find
out
there. In Bakersfield I witnessed the worst dance instruction I've ever
seen but in Nashville just about the best. David Wallace, and partner
Stephanie,
taught the Nashville Swing Club's lesson at Silverado. David did the
teaching, Stephanie assisted. The class was so large that, to do C/W
TwoStep, we had to form three concentric circles. At all times the class
was under David's full control. His instruction was exquisitely clear
and simple and precise. It was a great pleasure to participate in that
class.

YUPPIES:
There seem to be fewer in The South than elsewhere but I
couldn't
believe the ones I saw in amusement parks with telephones attached to
their heads. In amusement parks?!? C'mon!

DRAFTING:
I was more amused by than fearful of the drafters on the
highways. In
no fewer than two instances, those drafting me pulled over with me
without even trying to pass.

BUMS, GRAFFITI, and CLEANTH:
Not one person on any street anywhere hit me for money.
Graffiti were so rare that I recall seeing none!
In my youth, I'd almost daily hear tourists comment on how clean a city
was San Francisco. That, sadly, is no longer true but it was pretty-much
true of every town I visited.

Giovanni

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Icono Clast wrote:

> { I predicted that, when The South changed, it
> would be the best place in the US for Blacks to live. ... but I do know that

> Blacks are returning
> to The South.}

YOU MUST BE KIDDING !!! I don't know what color your skin is....but I know
what color your spine is!

> { One sees these changes in the little things such as my

> overhearing a
> White food server's concern (Memphis) for the satisfaction of two Black
> women who could not hear her. Before, the women would not have even been
> in the restaurant unless they had minimum-wage jobs there.}

How old ARE you??? When was the last time you checked your pulse?

> {The thickly-accented 70-ish White woman insisting that the young

> Black
> man had truly arrived at the line before she whereas in the past, had
> there been a line of a hundred Blacks, that same White woman would have
> walked to the front of the line.
> The proportion of inter-racial couples I saw was far greater
> than I've
> seen elsewhere and the apparent acceptance by society appears to be
> total.}

"THE APPARENT ACCEPTANCE BY SOCIETY" ??????????

The fact that you are obsessing over all this with such fascination
is clearly an indication of what an INCREDIBLE BIGOT you are!

WHY ARE YOU PAYING SO MUCH ATTENTION TO
INTER-RACIAL COUPLES UNLESS THIS IS A BIG ISSUE
WITH YOU.
If you were truly the great worldly traveler
that you make yourself out to be, these things would be observed (if at all!!),
in a completely different frame of reference.
ALL people that are OF... the world and who understand that we are ALL part
the melting pot that is this planet......and have traveled extensively
would not give an inter-racial couple special consideration at all....
......your observations make clear the path of your thoughts and
generalizations.

> {Somewhere a Black man flipt me The Bird for what he perceived as

> some
> driving offense. In the past, he mighta wanted t'do that but would have
> feared to do so.}

He was "perceiving" (and correctly so) what an asshole you
are!...................."flipt"..? I bet quite a few white people have "flipt" you
the bird.

> {But there's an indication that not all's as well as I'd like to

> believe
> as Blacks are everywhere during the light of day but they weren't in the
> bars where I was at night.}

And you see this as a BAD thing??? Maybe they are more intelligent than you
anddon't need to hang out at bars!!! Maybe all "black" people are reverse
vampires!!!
Maybe you should find a different hobby besides counting Afri-Americans wherever
you go!!

> { The South has long been known for its politeness. Surrounded by

> great
> numbers of youths at amusement parks, I observed that the tradition
> continues. They were far-better behaved, in every respect, that local
> youths.}

HUH?????

> {FAT:

> Waiting in amusement park lines can be tedius and looking at
> others in
> the same situation is one of the most interesting things to do. It
> didn't take me long to notice how fat the people were, so fat, in fact,
> that I started to count them. It seems that every time I counted, a
> third of the people I counted was fat. No, I don't mean merely
> overweight and I didn't count beer bellies, either, but real fat people,
> most of them quite young. Many of them also smoke cigarettes. It's sad.
> Their lives will probably be very short.}

Maybe you should do a little self analysis of your deficiencies as a human
beingbefore you criticize everyone around you!

> {"DANCING:

> I was not surprised to find that the level of dancing in the
> places I
> managed to dance wasn't very high. At home in San Francisco, I'm, at
> best, an average dancer but out there on The Road I'm pretty hot. Too
> bad.
> Someone recently commented that good instruction's hard to find
> out
> there. In Bakersfield I witnessed the worst dance instruction I've ever
> seen }

I bet yer as hot as SHIT on a bar-b-que!Thanks , I'll never take dance lessons in
Bakersfield as long as I live......
forever....nivere iver agin' .......ahh meeen eet! yuckk yuk yuck yuc !!
How DO YOU survive in San Francisco?

> {BUMS, GRAFFITI, and CLEANTH:

> Not one person on any street anywhere hit me for money.}

CLEANTH ?????????????? Maybe you look like a bum!!!

Yer buddy and....
Citizen d'mondo,
Giovanni.

Swin...@webtv.net

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

THIS POST IS P RATED

I apologize to the group (sans giovanni) before I even post. (notice the
lower case g, it is indicitive)

Yes, I know g is baiting, I thought I would get in the gutter with this
sack of poop.

IC wrote..."I predicted..."

g sputtered..."...I know what color your spine is!"

giovanni apparently is height prejiduce towards IC. He obviously cannot
make a statement without trying to insult someone. What's odd is that he
statement has no relation to what was stated. IC's remark about blacks
returning to the South, true or not, has nothing to do with the color of
his spine. At least IC has the GONADS to state his opinions without
insult as cow poopy g does (I wish I had an even LOWER case g to use).

g mumbled..."How old ARE you???"

IC is old enough to have acquired brains which little g is still working
towards. Of course, some people never get close to their goals.

g screamed..."'THE APPARENT ACCEPTANCE BY SOCIETY" ??????????

Another goal for little, little g. I doubt he will ever be accepted by
even the rad society.

g stammered..."...INCREDIBLE BIGOT..."

I know it's passe but, it takes one to [think you] know one.

LITTLE, Little, little g espoused..."I bet yer hot as SHIT..."

Hey, tiny g, I wouln't even have in my hand what you had in your big
MOUTH!!

I think I am wasting my time to even begin replying this most obnoxious
post and person (thing). This guy probably doesn't even dance, and who
would dance with a demented dancer. He probably is just as repulsive on
other newsgroups. Of all the poop I've read on rad, this is one that is
such a joke that legal action should be taken. He obviously has a hard
on for IC (I doubt he could get it up, you know, the mental cases). I'm
SERIOUS folks, this idiot is DANGEROUS. Let's pray he is not a dancer.
He's either steaming, laughing or planning revenge! Don't think that
violence hasn't happened in the dance world, because it has.

He's definitely an oxymoron by his name "ilovefun". Oh hell...he's a
MORON period.

I do have good news for micro-miniscule g, I will not be replying to any
of his posts.

Watch your poop-side folks!!!!!

Giovanni

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Swin...@webtv.net wrote:

> {.... this is one that is

> such a joke that legal action should be taken.}

Thanks for the chuckle!

> {...He obviously has a hard

> on for IC (I doubt he could get it up, you know, the mental cases). I'm
> SERIOUS folks, this idiot is DANGEROUS.

> He's either steaming, laughing or planning revenge! Don't think that
> violence hasn't happened in the dance world, because it has.}

Hmmmmm....sounds like slander to me!

.........But Swingpoopy.........I have a woody for you honey! ;-*
The only thing dangerous about me are my words!
It's one thing to get pissed off and call me every name in the book if you
want, ( I can handle it) but don't start implying tales of woe and talking
about violence, because that's garbage!!
If your resorting to those tactics to get to me, it means you've already run
out of material......
soooo C-YA.

> { I do have good news for micro-miniscule g, I will not be replying to any
>
> of his posts.}

Hook line and sinker!!! I Caught the BIG POOP with that bait!

BAH-BYE

Giovanni

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Ed Jay wrote:

> { Save your hand for other purposes you
> find useful. You're in my kill file.
>
> Your dancing pal,
>
> Ed }

I love you to Ed!!! a big kiss for you..... :-*

Victor Eijkhout

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

[I have such a crappy newsfeed. It seems half of the intersting
posts don't make it here. Piggy back, therefore.]

> Giovanni <ilov...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> >Icono Clast wrote:
> >

> >> { I predicted that, when The South changed, it [...]

> >How old ARE you???

Giovanni, dear, he mentioned riding a motorcycle through the south
in the 60s. That puts his physical age at about 4 or 5 times
your mental age :-)

--
Victor Eijkhout

Bill Buxton

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

Icono Clast wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam: You have posted a
Classic "Troll"
type posting under the following guidelines.

1. The issues discussed are only
vaguely associated with the newsgroup

2. The posting is clearly inflamatory
to insite angry retorical comments from
all sides, with no benefit to dancing --
the purpose of this news group.

Please respect the purpose of this
valuable and respected newsgroup
and take your comments to
the appropriate sites
IE alt.trash.etc

The participant, Iconoclast
has been involved in this group
in the past. I hope this is not
that individual.

Swin...@webtv.net

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

poo,poo

Some of us enjoyed IC's views of his dance trip across the US. He told
us he was going, reported while enroute and after his trip. Trolling he
was not, driving he was. IC has contributed to the rad many times in the
past. How about you? Are you the newest rad policeman. If you want to
complain, address it to Giovanni!!!!!!!!!

Giovanni

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

Swin...@webtv.net wrote:

> poo,poo

> If you want to
> complain, address it to Giovanni!!!!!!!!!

Dear ASSHOLE (SwingShit),
Kindly refrain from using my name or refering to me in your posts!!!
Don't stir up any more "SwingShit"!!!
As I have left YOU alone!

Sincerely (F@@K OFF),

Giovanni

Giovanni

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

Ed Jay wrote:

> Bill Buxton <cor...@ionet.net> wrote:
>
> >Dear Sir/Madam: You have posted a
> >Classic "Troll"
>

> I see from DejaNews that this is one of only two 'contributions you have
> made to rec.arts.dance. I must therefore assume you are new to the group
> or have been lurking for some time. If the former, welcome aboard. If
> the latter, I'm happy you decided to finally participate. In either
> event, you willnote that Icono has for the past few years blessed the
> group with the impressions he develops through his travel to other
> dance venues. I for one appreciate his taking the time to do so. To
> classify his writings as a troll can only be based upon one idiots
> that in the future, should you wish to subscribe to the nonsensical
> notions spoken to by the f**king idiot (Swingpoop), you should direct your
> comments
> to him---via private email. Do not pretend to be speaking in behalf of
> the group. You are not our cop or censor, sir.

> >1. The issues discussed are only vaguely associated with the newsgroup
>

> But they are related Perhaps you might explain why you cross-posted your
> post to: rec.arts.dance,rec.roller-coaster,rec.travel.usa-canada.

> >2. The posting is clearly inflamatory to insite angry retorical comments from

> >all sides, with no benefit to dancing --the purpose of this news group.
>
> I think you're confusing the idiot's (Swingpoop) inflammatory response with the
> original post.

> >Please respect the purpose of this valuable and respected newsgroup
> >and take your comments to the appropriate sites IE alt.trash.etc
>

> Are you aware of the condition called 'Transference Syndrome?'

> >The participant, Iconoclast has been involved in this group in the past.
> > I hope this is not that individual.
>

> It was, and we still appreciate his most recent travel report. Think of
> him as r.a.d.'s Charles Kuralt(sp?). We do, and we appreciate his taking
> the time to enlighten us. Shall we take a straw vote among the members
> hereof to determine how many of us appreciate your pale attempt to
> police the group for us?
>
> Ed
> To reply, remove the leading X in my address.

Dear Ed ,

I urge you to stop referring to SwingShit as "THE F**KING IDIOT". It simply isn't
very
polite or ....."NET" friendly conversation!!!
Also Ed, you spelled "insite" incorrectly, it's "Insight".

Your best bud and confidant,

Ps. Please stop harassing the newcomers, like Bill!

Icono Clast

Feb 25, 2021, 4:59:38 PM2/25/21
On Friday, May 29, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Icono Clast wrote:
> THE NEW(!) SOUTH:
> In the late '50s, I hitch-hiked from San Francisco to New Orleans …
I've since been able to confirm it was 1960, not "the late '50s".