Todd McFarlane's Spider Man

Ken H. Lee

May 9, 1990, 12:16:22 PM5/9/90

Two questions:

1) Why did McFarlane leave Amazing Spider Man?

2) What is McFarlane currently working on besides the
upcoming Spider-Man title?

Thanks in advance.

Ken H. Lee

May 9, 1990, 12:18:49 PM5/9/90

Does anyone know what Frank Miller is working on these days?
I've heard that he might be working on a new Elektra graphic
novel, and was wondering what the status of that was.
Thanks in advance.

Russ Nightfall Smith

May 9, 1990, 3:32:09 PM5/9/90
[ke...@sco.COM:]
->
->
->Two questions:
->
-> 1) Why did McFarlane leave Amazing Spider Man?

To do his own Spider-Man. IE, to write, as well as draw.

->
-> 2) What is McFarlane currently working on besides the
-> upcoming Spider-Man title?
->
Urrmmm...this and that. Nothing on a regular basis, as far as I know. In his
interview with Comic Shop News, McFarlane says he really doesn't want to do
any stints unless is involves him as writer and artist.

We'll see.

->Thanks in advance.

--
--Russ "Nightfall" Smith-- | Wait, I'm LIVING my childhood power fantasies!
Randomized Ranter for Bob! |-----------------------------------------------

Mark A. Semich

May 9, 1990, 4:27:48 PM5/9/90

Don't know anything about the Elektra GN, but I do know that he's
writing a new series for Dark Horse that will be illustrated by Dave
Gibbons.
(Unfortunately, I can't seem to remember the title just now... It
should be coming out pretty soon)

--
m...@bucsf.bu.edu

Scunge

May 9, 1990, 8:41:47 PM5/9/90

In article <61...@scolex.sco.COM>, Ken H. Lee writes:
> Does anyone know what Frank Miller is working on these days?
> I've heard that he might be working on a new Elektra graphic
> novel, and was wondering what the status of that was.
> Thanks in advance.

If memory serves me correctly, he's currently working on a
Daredevil hardcover which is due out in November AND an Elektra
hardcover which Marvel is hoping will be ready by Christmas (although
I get the impression that they don't really believe it will be ready
by then).

Mark "Scunge" Wann
u853...@wraith.cs.uow.oz (or something)

Ron Rejmaniak

May 10, 1990, 4:13:52 PM5/10/90
In article <61...@scolex.sco.COM> ke...@sco.COM (Ken H. Lee) writes:

The HOT issue of ROLLING STONE (can't remember the date but it should
still be on newstands) listed the next so many projects for a number of
comics writers & artists.

Miller is going to be releasing "GIVE ME LIBERTY" (?, the Dark Horse
book that has been announced for over a year) and "HARD BOILED". He won't be
doing the art on either book. HARD BOILED has some interesting looking art
but the story idea sounds very much ROBOCOP II inspired (a cyborg trying to
find out more about his past and just who he is...).

-Ron Rejmaniak

Milo D. Cooper

May 11, 1990, 1:13:05 AM5/11/90
In article <61...@scolex.sco.COM> ke...@sco.COM (Ken H. Lee) writes:
->
->Two questions:
->
-> 1) Why did McFarlane leave Amazing Spider Man?
->

Huh? So he could work on no-adjective Spider-Man, bien sur.

-> 2) What is McFarlane currently working on besides the
-> upcoming Spider-Man title?

Nothing. If he were, you wouldn't have to ask us... anyway,
he's writing _and_ pencilling _and_ inking S-M, so to do anything
else would be kinda, you know, f*ckin' crazy.

->
->Thanks in advance.

No prob.
--
______ ________________________________________
____________,--/ / // MILO D. COOPER Negro debonaire. //

Woogywoogywoogy!

May 10, 1990, 9:25:15 PM5/10/90

In article <61...@scolex.sco.COM> ke...@sco.COM (Ken H. Lee) writes:

He's writing two series from Dark Horse; _Give Me Liberty_
(illustrated by Dave Gibbons) and _Hard Boiled_ (illustrated by Geoff
Darrow). Both are mini-series; GML is four parts, I'm not sure how
long HB is.

But I don't know anything about an Elektra GN, sorry...

--troll
"The history of the world is the record of a man in quest of his daily
bread and butter."
- H.W. VanLoon "The Story of Mankind"

Cisco's Buddy

May 11, 1990, 2:12:06 AM5/11/90
In article <61...@scolex.sco.COM>, ke...@sco.COM (Ken H. Lee) writes...

} Does anyone know what Frank Miller is working on these days?
} I've heard that he might be working on a new Elektra graphic
} novel, and was wondering what the status of that was.

Yes, he's working on a new Elektra graphic novel. Seems to me that I
heard it was going to be released late this year, but I don't recall
where I heard that.

He's also written two four-issue mini-series for Dark Horse. One is
GIVE ME LIBERTY, with art by Dave Gibbons, and the other is HARDBOILED,
with art by Geoff Darrow. I don't know when they'll be out.

Miller has been quiet lately because he spent his time on the set of
ROBOCOP 2 working on last-minute re-writes, etc. (in case you weren't
aware, he was co-writer on the script).

--
"I've got compassion running outta my nose,
pal. I'm the sultan of sentiment."

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, "The Mill", Maynard, MA)
UUCP: ...!decwrl!ruby.enet.dec.com!boyajian
ARPA: boyajian%ruby...@DECWRL.DEC.COM

William A. Hartwell

May 11, 1990, 8:07:53 PM5/11/90

Miller is working on an Elektra GN dealing with her life after being
resurrected and a Daredevil GN dealing with his "Year One". One of these is
having John Romita Jr., the current artist for the Daredevil monthly title,
doing the art chores but for the life of me I cannot remember which book it
is.

Bill "hucka chucka" Hartwell

Brent David Goldberg

May 12, 1990, 8:02:13 AM5/12/90
Besides soloing the Spiderman comic, Todd does just drew and released
McFarlane Spiderman collector buttons, available in less than a month.
He also regularly draws covers for Marvel Tales.

And as for the question of the demand for Spiderman #1, coming from the
facts, it stands to be the undeniable hit of 1990, and coming from a
true Spiderman fan, McFarlane is undeniably the greatest and the best.
And I would expect his stories and art to be absolutely "amazing"
(excuse the pun.)

At first, he takes a little getting used to. But once you do, you will,
one, easily be able to pick out the differences of the artists, and two,
never be able to avoid his work again.

Kenton Campbell

May 12, 1990, 6:35:04 PM5/12/90
In article <caGzh5u00...@andrew.cmu.edu>, bg...@andrew.cmu.edu (Brent David Goldberg) writes:

> And as for the question of the demand for Spiderman #1, coming from the
> facts, it stands to be the undeniable hit of 1990, and coming from a
> true Spiderman fan, McFarlane is undeniably the greatest and the best.
> And I would expect his stories and art to be absolutely "amazing"
> (excuse the pun.)
>
> At first, he takes a little getting used to. But once you do, you will,
> one, easily be able to pick out the differences of the artists, and two,
> never be able to avoid his work again.

Blah. I used to love McFarlane's work, back when he was doing
INFINITY INC. for DC, but I can't stand him nowadays. I'm really
totally bored with the "Art Adams Club"....Adams himself, McFarlane,
Liefield, et. al. just get on my nerves.

SPIDER-MAN #1 will definitely be on my avoid-at-all-costs lists (much
as the new Batman book was last year). BTW, a true Spider-Man fan
should realize there's a hyphen in his name...

What is it with artists named Adams being copied for years? First
Neil Adams in the 70's, and now Art Adams......I can hardly stand
Neil Adams's work any more, just from all the imitators. Anybody
know what he's doing, if anything in the comics field?

--
### Kent Campbell #########################################################
### camp...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu ##################### Ball State University ###

Milo D. Cooper

May 13, 1990, 8:21:56 PM5/13/90
In article <11...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> camp...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Kenton Campbell) writes:
->In article <caGzh5u00...@andrew.cmu.edu>, bg...@andrew.cmu.edu (Brent David Goldberg) writes:
->>
[...]

Hmmm... I can see how Liefeld would be a member of this
club, but McFarlane? Todd has his probs, but he's still a killer
artist. Why do you put him into this club? Because he uses lots
of lines? Because his style, like Art Adams', is highly exagger-
ated and cartoon-ish? His pencils aren't as well-done as Adams',
by the way. Todd's greatest strength is his inking; we don't see
much self-inked Adams or Liefeld work.
The main reason I'll be getting _Spider-Man_ is to check
out the man's writing, though.

->What is it with artists named Adams being copied for years? First
->Neil Adams in the 70's, and now Art Adams......I can hardly stand
->Neil Adams's work any more, just from all the imitators. Anybody
->know what he's doing, if anything in the comics field?

->
->### Kent Campbell #########################################################

It's weird man... my three favorite artists all have last
names that begin with "M": Mignola, Moebius, and McFarlane (yes in
that order).
Neal Adams is currently the headman of Continuity Comics.
Buy _Samuree_ and/or _The Revengers_, as those are their two best
books. Total Neal Adams clone art, but it rips.

Kenton Campbell

May 14, 1990, 4:49:50 PM5/14/90
In article <10...@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, pa2...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Milo D. Cooper) writes:
> In article <11...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> camp...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Kenton Campbell) writes:
> ->Blah. I used to love McFarlane's work, back when he was doing
> ->INFINITY INC. for DC, but I can't stand him nowadays. I'm really
> ->totally bored with the "Art Adams Club"....Adams himself, McFarlane,
> ->Liefield, et. al. just get on my nerves.
>
> Hmmm... I can see how Liefeld would be a member of this
> club, but McFarlane? Todd has his probs, but he's still a killer
> artist. Why do you put him into this club? Because he uses lots
> of lines? Because his style, like Art Adams', is highly exagger-
> ated and cartoon-ish? His pencils aren't as well-done as Adams',
> by the way. Todd's greatest strength is his inking; we don't see
> much self-inked Adams or Liefeld work.

McFarlane's art was nothing like Adams at first, but then after Adams
became a big hit, McFarlane seemed to make a conscious decision to
imitate him (IMHO). His artwork's grown since then, but it still has
a number of distinctly Adams-like traits.

Adams has done most of his own inking, hasn't he? He inked LONGSHOT,
as well as some of the mutant annuals he's done, didn't he? If I
remember right, the problem was that it took him a year and a half to
do the six issues of Longshot, so he is rarely commissioned to do the
inking as well as drawing anymore.

Aaron Kovacs Sowd

May 14, 1990, 2:27:52 PM5/14/90
In article <1990May11.0...@world.std.com> tr...@world.std.com (Woogywoogywoogy!) writes:
>>Does anyone know what Frank Miller is working on these days?
>>I've heard that he might be working on a new Elektra graphic
>>novel, and was wondering what the status of that was.
>
>But I don't know anything about an Elektra GN, sorry...
>--troll

It's FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY!!! Miller has completed the work on it and
Marvel tentively plans to release it towards the end of this year. It'll be
hardcover (like the "Punisher Return to Big Nothing" was) and around the $18.95
price range... It'll also be resolicited, so all you folks who ordered it YEARS
ago (like me) will have to do so again...

Neat, huh?

-Aaron
--
____ ____ ____ ____ ____
/ / / / / / / / / / / - AMERICA'S #1 PARTY SCHOOL

Aaron Kovacs Sowd

May 14, 1990, 3:02:16 PM5/14/90
In article <11...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> camp...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Kenton Campbell) writes:

>SPIDER-MAN #1 will definitely be on my avoid-at-all-costs lists (much
>as the new Batman book was last year). BTW, a true Spider-Man fan
>should realize there's a hyphen in his name...
>
>What is it with artists named Adams being copied for years? First
>Neil Adams in the 70's, and now Art Adams......I can hardly stand
>Neil Adams's work any more, just from all the imitators. Anybody
>know what he's doing, if anything in the comics field?

Neil Adams is, in my understanding, an old man. He's pretty much retired these
days (he started Continuty Comics a while back, didn't he?) but he's coming out
of retirement to draw a Batman special for DC later the year (the actual title
and subject of which I forget...) as well as the first issue of The Twilight
Zone (the comic, that is) coming from Innovation this summer. The man is a stud
The man is THE Batman artist of all time. When I grow up I wanna be just like..
...oops, but that would make me just like all the other imitators, wouldn't it?

Cisco's Buddy

May 15, 1990, 6:19:24 PM5/15/90
In article <94...@tiger.oxy.edu>, hartw...@oxy.edu (William A. Hartwell) writes...

Undoubtedly, it's the "Daredevil Year One" book. The article on comics
in the current ROLLING STONE says that ELEKTRA LIVES AGAIN is being
written and drawn by Miller, with Lynn Varley.

--
"I never use a pen. I write with a goose quill dipped in venom."

Cisco's Buddy

May 16, 1990, 6:07:21 AM5/16/90
In article <caGzh5u00...@andrew.cmu.edu>, bg...@andrew.cmu.edu (Brent David Goldberg) writes...

} [...] and coming from a true Spiderman fan, McFarlane is undeniably

} the greatest and the best.

"Undeniably"? Hardly. I, for one, deny it. OK, I can't lay claim to being
a "true" Spider-Man fan, as I haven't read any of his comics regularly in
the last god-knows-how-many years (except for the period when Peter was
regular writer on SPECTACULAR). But I *did* read the comic from pretty
damn close to the beginning up until about #200. McFarlane's work doesn't
even hold a candle to the work done in the 60's by Steve Ditko (to whom
McFarlane owes a *lot*) or John Romita (Sr.). Hell, personally, my
favorite period on the book, artistically speaking, was circa #100, when
Gil Kane was pencilling the book. As I recall, at the beginning of Kane's
run, he was inked by Romita, and the combination was terrific.

jus...@inmet.inmet.com

May 16, 1990, 6:24:00 PM5/16/90

Re: The Elektra Graphic Novel

>It's FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY!!! Miller has completed the work on it and
>Marvel tentively plans to release it towards the end of this year. It'll be
>hardcover (like the "Punisher Return to Big Nothing" was) and around the $18.95
>price range... It'll also be resolicited, so all you folks who ordered it YEARS
>ago (like me) will have to do so again...

>-Aaron

Ha! I'll believe it when I see it. I first started hearing about this GN
something like six months after the Elektra saga proper finished -- that's
what, six years ago now? Something like that. In the meantime, it's been
written, and re-written, and re-re-written several times; according to the
scuttlebutt I've heard, the artwork has been redrawn from scratch at least
once. Miller has managed to grab the record for Most Overdue Comic of All
Time -- why break a perfect record now?

-- Justin du Coeur
Comfortably Cynical

Random Quote du Jour:

"God does not play dice with the universe; he plays roulette."
-- Joe English

RoBeRt KaRp

May 17, 1990, 11:08:43 AM5/17/90
Replying to: <1990May14.1...@csuchico.edu>
From: ro...@attila.esa.oz.au (RoBeRt KaRp)
Date: Thu, 17 May 90 07:57:13 W
Sender: robi

You write the following in article <1990May14.1...@csuchico.edu>:
: hardcover (like the "Punisher Return to Big Nothing" was) and around the $18.95

Oh goody, then it should be just under $50 here in Australia !

- Robi

--
INTERNET: ro...@attila.esa.oz.au ACSnet: ro...@attila.esa.oz
Fax : (+61) (2) 953 9531 Robert Karp///

Aaron Kovacs Sowd

May 17, 1990, 12:47:15 PM5/17/90
In article <10500163@inmet> jus...@inmet.inmet.com writes:

>Re: The Elektra Graphic Novel
>
>>It's FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY!!! Miller has completed the work on it and

>>Marvel tentively plans to release it towards the end of this year. It'll be
>>hardcover (like "Punisher Return to Big Nothing" was) and around the $18.95
>>price range.. It'll also be resolicited, so all you folks who ordered it YEARS

>>ago (like me) will have to do so again...
>>-Aaron
>Ha! I'll believe it when I see it. I first started hearing about this GN
>something like six months after the Elektra saga proper finished -- that's
>what, six years ago now? Something like that. In the meantime, it's been
>written, and re-written, and re-re-written several times; according to the
>scuttlebutt I've heard, the artwork has been redrawn from scratch at least
>once. Miller has managed to grab the record for Most Overdue Comic of All
>Time -- why break a perfect record now?
> -- Justin du Coeur
Dude! Serious! It IS done! Check out recent issues of _Comic Shop News_ if you
don't believe me. 'Course it might be a while 'fore Marvel gets it on the shel-
ves, but it'll happen.

george chow

May 17, 1990, 3:27:51 PM5/17/90

When's this GN slated to be released? I can't wait to see Elektra again.

> Bill "hucka chucka" Hartwell

Brian or James

May 17, 1990, 10:20:16 PM5/17/90

I read that the real reason the Elektra GN was so late was that
Ellison bought the rights for the first chapter to include in
'Final Dangerous Visions'. Ah, the heady delight of reading from
Ellison himself that the anthology was due out the following fall.
Alas, he said so in the introduction to 'Involution Ocean' back in
'77...
JDN

PS: I *did* read it! Of course, I was typing at the time :)