2013 Debuts, Departures and the Dearly Departed

Mark Jackson

Jan 1, 2014, 6:01:17 PM1/1/14
Posting for D.D.:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 2013 Debuts, Departures and the Dearly Departed
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 22:36:04 +0000 (UTC)
From: DENNIS <dddegg##@comcast.net>
To: mjac...@alumni.caltech.edu

Mark,

Comcast screwed up my account,
I got it mostly straightened out but
google won't let me post to Groups.

Would you be kind enough to post.
my annual DD&DD post to RACS?

D.D.Degg

Pasted below----

2013 Debuts, Departures and the Dearly Departed

Debuts
These comics began appearing in newspapers in 2013

CASEY�S CARTOON CORNER
by Casey Shaw
January 27, 2013 � February 17, 2013
and occasionally thereafter.
Panel in the USA Weekend Sunday newspaper supplement

TAKE IT FROM THE TINKERSONS
by Bill Bettwy
April 1, 2013 �
King Features Syndicate

FUNDAY MORNING
by Brad Diller
July 8, 2013 �
Charleston Gazette/Saturday Gazette-Mail
(Ink Bottle Syndicate)
[1st appeared (62 cartoons) on internet ?February 14, 2010?]

THE ARCHER
by Chuck Ayers
August 14, 2013 � September 11, 2013
weekly
The (Kent, Ohio) Record Courier

CAMP SLEEPOVER
by Josh Quick (Quickerstein?)
August 29, 2013
alternative weekly
Missoula (Mont) Independent

BIRCH AND FINCH
by Mike Marland
September 7(?), 2013 �
weekly
Concord (NH) Monitor

WUMO
by Mikael Wulff and Anders Morgenthaler
November 4, 2013 �
Universal Uclick
[1st appeared as webcomic �Wulffmorganthaler� in 2001]
[Danish import]

Departures
These comics ended their runs in 2013

FRIENDSHIP TOWN
by Jon Adams
April 1, 2010 � January 31, 2013
weekly panel
San Francisco Chronicle

MAMA�S BOYZ
by Jerry Craft
September ??, 1990 � January 27, 2013
weekly strip
self syndicated/King Features Weekly Service
[reruns continued in some papers]

FLARE
by Dennis Mallonee and various artists
May 4, 2008 - March 3, 2013
weekly strip
?Ever appear in a newspaper?

MANDRAKE THE MAGICIAN
by Lee Falk, Phil Davis, Martha Davis, and Fred Fredericks
(and maybe some Alfred Bester dailies during World War II)
dailies ran June 11, 1934 � July 6, 2013
Sundays ran February 3, 1935 � December 29, 2002
King Features Syndicate
[daily reruns continue July 8, 2013 � on]

THE ARCHER
by Chuck Ayers
August 14, 2013 � September 11, 2013
weekly
The (Kent, Ohio) Record Courier
[ran five strips to promote Kent State Univ.
football player Dri Archer as Heisman candidate]

GIL
by Norm Feuti
January 2, 2012 � December 29, 2013
King Features Syndicate
[1st appeared November 10, 2008 as the webcomic �Gill�.]

The Dearly Departed
These Comic Creators died in 2013

WILLIAM (WILLIE) MARTIN (OBUYI) CURRY, JR.
July 12, 1922 - January 2, 2013
artist
"professional cartoonist" - Amsterdam News

RICHARD ARTHUR (DICK) SIEGEL
January 31, 1939 - January 3, 2013
radio personality
comic strip: The Adventures of Hal 'n Dick
for the Fort Worth Star Telegram

ALAN SHENKER (aka YOSSARIAN)
MArch 3, 1945 - January 14, 2013
underground cartoonist (East Village Other,
New York Ace, Screw, Gothic Blimp Works, +)

CHRISTOPHER DAVID (CHRIS) CASSATT
April 25, 1946 - January 16, 2013
editorial cartoonist
comic strips:
Sal A. Mander
Protonibus Lives
Downe and Dirty
Pizza Bones
Ute Toot
Shoe (MacNelly assistant 1993-2000
Shoe producer 2000-2013)

ALFRED LEE (AL) STINE
December 24, 1920 - January 25, 2013
painter, illustrator
Playboy cartoonist
Editorial cartoonist for
The Independent Mail (Anderson, SC)

VAHAN SHIRVANIAN, JR.
1925 - January 30, 2013
Magazine cartoonist: Saturday Evening Post,
The New Yorker, Good Housekeeping, Playboy,
Reader's Digest, Sports Illustrated, Argosy, +
comic strip: No Comment (1979-82)

JEFFREY AMHERST (JEFF) CUDDY, JR.
October 10, 1920 - February 4, 2013
Television art director
comic strip: Archie
(assisted Bob Montana (1961-75,
briefly did the strip 1975)

LYLE JOHN LAHEY
August 23, 1931 - February 8, 2013
Political cartoonist for
The Brown County Chronicle (1968-1976)
The Green Bay News Chronicle (1976-2005)
comic strip: Bunky (in The Farmer's Friend 1975-79)

GEORGE EMANUEL CAREY
March 11, 1934 - February 8, 2013
L. A. Times art dept. ca. 1971-1993
Filmation Studios art director
Sports cartoonist for
Arizona Daily Star
Tucson Daily Citizen
Los Angeles Mirror
Los Angeles Herald Examiner

FRANK JOSEPH GILLOOLY
July 13, 1934 - February 25, 2013
teacher, principal, professor, entrepeneur
Editorial cartoonist for
Herald News
Hudson Dispatch

NED E. JARVIS
June 30, 1920 - March 3, 2013
Editorial cartoonist for
Syracuse Post Standard (1950s)
Auburn Citizen (1980s - 1990s)
Contributing cartoonist to
machinist trade publications ca. ?

NICULAE ASICU
April 5, 1942 - March 3, 2013
New York Times illustrator
Magazine cartoonist: The New Yorker (1974-90)

GORDON EARL LARKIN
September 14, 1930 - March 11, 2013
Graphic illustrator for Phillips Petroleum
comic strip: The Pollut-O-Crats (early 1970s)

DAVID L. SHORE
October 28, 1926 - March 14, 2013
Political cartoonist for
Robbinsdale Sun,
St. Francis Community Courier,
other publications

GEORGE HOWARD HOLLENBECK
June 19, 1924 - March 19, 2013
jeweler
Comic strip: Robin (creator)

LOUIS CHISHOLM, JR.
June 30, 1954 - March 27, 2013
art director, commercial artist
cartoonist for the North Star newspaper

ROBERT JAMES (BOB) CLARKE
January 25, 1926 - March 31, 2013
Commerciaql/advertising artist
Mad Magazine 1955-89
comic strip: Ripley's Believe It or Not (assist 1943-44)
Thing (artist ca. 1970-79)

JOHN H. KENNEDY
January 4, 1922 - April 1, 2013
art instructor, art director
Cartoonist : Staurday Evening Post (1980s? 1990s?)
comic: Local Color (feature in The Herald of Randolph)

SOPHIA JEAN (CISSIE) PELTZ (nee LIEBSHUTZ)
July 21, 1927 - April 3, 2013
art gallery owner
Magazine cartoonist for Cosmopolitan,
New York Times, Saturday Review,
Chicago Tribune, Milwaukee Journal
Weekly cartoon in Today's Health Magazine (10 years)

EDWIN ZALMAN (ED) FISHER
October 24, 1926 - April 3, 2013
Magazine cartoonist for The New Yorker (1951-2000),
Playboy, The Saturday Review, Opera Quarterly, Look, +
comic panel: Toppix (contributor/editor)

GEORGE E. GLADIR
Septemebr 27, 1925 - April 3, 2013
comic books
Magazine gag cartoonist 1950s

CARMINE INFANTINO
May 24, 1925 - April 4, 2013
Comic book artist, editor, publisher
comic strips:
Vic Jordan
Lone Ranger
Flash Gordon
Sherlock Holmes
The Phantom
Dondi
Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder
Batman (as Cinfa)

ROSS LOUIS WETZEL
March 11, 1917 - April 16, 2013
animation
comic strips:
Mickey Mouse (1939)
Felix the Cat (ca. early 1941)

JOHN JAY SCHMITZ
July 16, 1941 - April 16, 2013
advertising
comic strip: Adoornments (ca. 1970s)

DANNY L. (DAN) ADKINS
March 15, 1937 - May 3, 2013
comic book artist, illustrator
comic strip: Rip Kirby (art assist ca. 1970)

JOHN H. GABBERT
July 10, 1921 - May 12, 2013
artist, pastor
Political cartoonist for the Hanover County Herald-Progress

RICHARD N. BIBLER
June 14, 1922 - May 24, 2013
art professor
comic panel: Little Man on Campus

ROBERT AVRIL (BOB) WEPMAN
March 14, 1941 - June 20, 2013
musician
comic strip: Counterpoint (in Grand Rapids Press)

HUGH JOHN HAYES, JR
August 1, 1914 - June 25, 2013
Cartoonist/artist for Oregon Forestry

JOHN J. (JACK) OLSON, SR.
January 2, 1921 - June 29, 2013
comic strips:
John West (1946-49)
Brenda Starr (assistant 1950-79)

ROSS EDWARD BUNCH
March 3, 1930 - July 3, 2013
drafting instructor
Freelance cartoonist 50+ years

LEE SANDERSON
April 3, 1949 - July 3, 2013
Editorial cartoonist: Brattleboro Reformer,
Bennington Banner, The (Brattleboro) Commons

BRADLEY N. (BRAD) KIRKLAND
May 17, 1956 - July 4, 2013
"published writer and cartoonist"
Graphic Arts Guild member
Magazine cartoonist

ROY J. (BOOTS) REYNOLDS
March 28, 1935 - July 12, 2013
rancher, cowboy, artist
Cartoonist: Western Horseman, Outdoor Life,
ProRodeo Sports News, Horse and Horseman,
Horse and Rider, Bugle Magazine, Sports Afield,
American Cowboy

PAUL EVANS COYLE
January 1, 1935 - July 17, 2013
Cartoonist: The Pioneer News (ca. 1984-2013)

CARL EUGENE MAY, JR.
December 28, 1928 - July 28, 2013
newspaperman
comic strip: Sorehead (15 years for The Tennessean?)
comic panel: Mr. Prez (for The Todd Coiunty Standard, 2009)

MYRON STANFORD (STAN) LYNDE
September 23, 1931 - August 6, 2013
comic strips:
Ty Foon
Rick O'Shay
Latigo

ROBERT McMILLAN STUART
April 20, 1932 - August 6, 2013
president Stuart Oil Co.
Editorial cartoonist for The Santa Fe New Mexican
Editorial cartoonist for various newspapers
throughout the Texas hill country

SCOTT SMITH
December 6, 1923 - August 11, 2013
newspaperman, author, animation
Magazine cartoonist, Sports cartoonist
comic strips:
O'Malley's Law
Replay

ANDREW MELVIN (ANDY) FEIGHERY
December 14, 1943 - August 27, 2013
comic strip historian/publisher (Spec Productions)

EILEEN (JO) WYMAN
May 25, 1930 - September 6, 2013
radio/tv comedy writer
Gagwriter for cartoonists

PETER (PETE) HOFFMAN
February 22, 1919 - September 7, 2013
comic strips:
Steve Roper
Jeff Cobb
Why We Say

CARLISLE CARLTON COOPER
September 6, 1919 - September 11, 2013
painter, teacher
comic strip: Fighting with Daniel Boone

ELDON LEE PLETCHER
September 10, 1922 - September 15, 2013
Editorial cartoonist for Sioux City Journal (1949-1966)
Editorial cartoonist New Orleans Times-Picayune (1966-85)

VRYL RICHARD (DICK) COUPERTHWAITE
March 28, 1915 - September 18, 2013
Washington DC police dept., painter
comic panel: Meet the Judge (Washington Post)

ROBERT (BOB) COHN
March 19, 1920 - October 7, 2013
advertising
comic strip: Hystoria with J.P (1966-71)

GEORGE EVERT OLESEN
December 6, 1924 - October 15, 2013
comic books
comic strips:
Ozark Ike (1955-60)
Red Ryder (1960)
The Phantom (1961-2005)

NICHOLAS (NICK) CARDY (ne VISCARDI)
October 16, 1920 - November 3, 2013
comic books, commercial artist
comic strips:
Lady Luck
Tarzan
Casey Ruggles
Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder

WILLIAM E. (BILL) ROBERTS
October 17, 1914 - November 18, 2013
Cleveland Press art department
Cleveland Press editorial cartoonist 1962-?1978?
cartoon feature: Week's Wash (1948-62)

ALFRED JOHN (AL) PLASTINO
December 15, 1921 - November 25, 2013
comic books
comic strips:
Hap Hopper, Washington Correspondent/Barry Noble
Skeets
Casey Ruggles
Abbie an' Slats
Superman
Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder
Ferd'nand
Terry and the Pirates
Nancy

JOHN FRANCIS LANGTON
February 14, 1939 - November 26, 2013
New York Post staff artist 1965-93
comic books (Cracked, Sick)
comic panel: Think You Know...

GERALD (JERRY) ALBERT
November 13, 1917 - December 12, 2013
comic strip: Miss Cairo Jones (writer)

Deviations
These changes happened during 2013

BREVITY
Signature changed:
dailies signed "guy & rodd"
January 3, 2005-January 16(Monday), 2012
dailies signed "guy & rodd & dan"
January 17(Tuesday), 2012 - December 29, 2012
dailies signed "dan"
December 31, 2012 - January 12, 2013
dailies signed "DAN THOMPSON"
January 14, 2013 - on
Sundays signed "guy & rodd"
January 9, 2005 - February 5, 2012
Sundays signed "guy & rodd & dan"
February 12, 2012 - January 13, 2013
Sundays signed "dan"
January 20, 2013 - January 27, 2013
Sundays signed "DAN THOMPSON"
February 3, 2013 - on
[elsewhere...
The feature KidSpot by Dick Rogers was sogned
by Dick Rogers through April 6, 2013. Beginning
April 8, 2013 the feature is signed by Dan Thompson.]

TANK MCNAMARA
dailies signed "MILLAR/HINDS"
August 5, 1974 - January 12, 2013
dailies signed "HINDS" January 14, 2013 - on
Sundays signed "MILLAR/HINDS"
August 11, 1974 - February 3, 2013
Sundays signed "HINDS" February 10, 2013 - on

SHOE
dailies signed "Cassatt & BROOKINS" "Susie Macnelly"
September 1, 2003 - February 23, 2013
dailies signed "BROOKINS" "Susie MacNelly"
February 25, 2013 - on
Sundays signed "Cassatt & BROOKINS" "Susie MacNelly"
September 14, 2003 - March 17, 2013
Sundays signed "BROOKINS" "Susie MacNelly"
March 24, 2013 - on

SALLY FORTH
dailies signed "MAC" (Craig MacIntosh)
November 11, 1991 - March 9, 2013
dailies signed "KEEFE" (Jim Keefe) March 11, 2013 - on
Sundays signed "MAC"
December 1, 1991 - March 31, 2013
Sundays signed "KEEFE" April 7, 2013 - on
[Keefe said that during March 2013 he and MacIntosh
worked on the strip together, and that the March 31
strip, though signed "MAC" was drawn by Keefe.]
also
[The Sunday feature DOODLES was signed "Mac & Sack"
until December 20, 2012. Beginning January 6, 2013
the feature is signed "Foote & Sack". I have never
discovered who Foote is.]

MARVIN
Sunday title panel reads...
MARVIN January 6 - March 10, 2013
September 1 - October 27, 2013
November 17, 2013, December 8, 2013
MARVIN & BITSY March 17 - May 5, 2013
June 9 - June 30, 2013
November 10, 2013, November 24, 2013
December 22, 2013
MARVIN & FAMILY May 12 - June 2, 2013
July 7 - August 25, 2013
November 3, 2013, December 15, 2013,
December 29, 2013
TOM ARMSTRONG'S MARVIN December 1, 2013

CURTIS
First run until April 6, 2013 daily
and April 21, 2013 Sundays.
Reprints ran April 8 - November 16, 2013 daily
and April 28 - December 8, 2013 Sundays.
New strips began November 18, 2013 (daily)
and December 15, 2013 (Sunday) and continue.

FORT KNOX
Sunday May 26, 2013 (Memorial Day)
is drawn by Norm Felchle.

RHYMES WITH ORANGE
The week of June 24 (Monday) to June 30 (Sunday)
is by guest cartoonist Maria Scrivan.
The December 29, 2013 Sunday panel is by
Martha Gradisher (signed "MG").
Dailies from December 30, 2013 to January 4, 2014
are also by Martha Gradisher.

BIZARRO
The week of July 1 (Monday) to July 6 (Saturday)
is by guest cartoonist J. C. Duffy

ALLEY OOP
John Wooley plotted(?) an Alley Oop story and
signed the strip August 14 (Wednesday) -
November 10, 2013 (Sunday).
[John Wooley, as a character, appeared
in the strip from July 12 - July 31, 2013.]

PC AND PIXEL
Sunday August 25, 2013 is by Bill Suddick.
Daily of December 14, 2013 by Bill Suddick.
Dailies of December 16 - 21, 2013 by Suddick.
Sunday December 22, 2013 by Bill Suddick.

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
2013 Sundays inked by Joe Sinnott through November 17, 2013.
Sundays inked by Terry Austin November 24 - December 29, 2013.

REX MORGAN, M.D.
Graham Nolan daily artist June 19, 2000 - December 28, 2013.
Terry Beatty daily artist December 30 - on.

WEE PALS
Throughout the year frequently not signed "MORRIE".

-------- End Original Message --------

Annoyance is a fungible commodity.
- Caulfield (Jef Mallett)

Jimmy Delach

Jan 20, 2014, 12:09:05 AM1/20/14

> [The Sunday feature DOODLES was signed "Mac & Sack"
>
> until December 20, 2012. Beginning January 6, 2013
>
> the feature is signed "Foote & Sack". I have never
>
> discovered who Foote is.]

For the record, I found out the full name of the Doodles artist. It's Chris Foote. It was listed on Doodles' Facebook page.

D.D.Degg

Jan 25, 2014, 8:53:50 AM1/25/14
> Departures
>
> These comics ended their runs in 2013

It Looks like Thin Lines ended in 2013
http://www.creators.com/comics/thin-lines.html

THIN LINES
by Randy Glasbergen
November 12, 2007 - December 30, 2013
weekly panel
Creators Syndicate
[appeared on Creators website as a daily preview
August 28, 2007 - September 10, 2007]
[the first half of 2010 saw the feature
occasionally not being posted on the Creators website]
?although on newspaper websites,
did it ever appear in a printed newspaper?

D.D.Degg

Feb 18, 2014, 7:21:46 AM2/18/14
Just caught this when I went to the WPWG site at
http://syndication.washingtonpost.com/comics

Rudy Park by Darrin Bell is now being syndicated
by the Washington Post Writers Group (though
Rudy Park page there has no promotional material).

Rudy Park began as a self-syndicated strip in 2000?/1999?,
then began United Feature Syndicate distribution in 2001.
Universal Press/Universal Uclick took on
syndication duties in 2011.

Saturday, November 30, 2013 was the last
Rudy Park strip "Dist. by Universal Uclick for UFS"
http://www.gocomics.com/rudypark/2013/11/30#.UwNHz4XjLdc

Sunday December 1, 2013 saw the syndication
credit line changed to "Dist. by WPWG"
http://www.gocomics.com/rudypark/2013/12/01#.UwNPSIXjLdc

So Darrin Bell's Candorville, Rudy Park, and
his editorial cartoons are all under the same roof.

D.D.Degg

D.D.Degg

Mar 27, 2014, 6:25:02 PM3/27/14
> > Departures
> >
> > These comics ended their runs in 2013

THREE-PANEL BOOK REVIEW
by Lisa Brown
occasional strip
2008 - 2013
San Francisco Chronicle

According to this recent article
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/03/lisa-brown-creates-witty-three-panel-book-reviews.html
Lisa Brown's Three Panel Book Review
no longer appears in the San Francisco Chronicle.

"[Lisa Brown] began creating the reviews in 2008...
Her reviews were a hit, and she continued to draw
them on and off until last summer."

Never on any reliable schedule, the strips
appeared whenever Brown had an inspiring
book to write and draw about.

The 2008 - 2013 date are about as exact
as I can come up with.
The earliest sample I had found was
February 24, 2008.
The article above says it last appeared
in the San Francisco Chronicle in the Summer of 2013.
The latest is May 19, 2013 which is
reproduced on Brown's American Chickens site:
http://www.americanchickens.com/cartoons/3panelreviews.php

D.D.Degg

D.D.Degg

Mar 29, 2014, 9:28:07 PM3/29/14
> Deviations
> These changes happened during 2013

The syndicate of Dick Tracy. Loose Parts, Gasoline Alley,
Bottom Liners, Broom Hilda, Bliss, Pluggers, Gil Thorp,
Brewster Rockit, Bound and Gagged, The Middletons,
Love is, 9 to 5 ( http://www.tmsfeatures.com/comics/ )...

Tribune Media Service was renamed Tribune Content Agency.

"Today[July 11, 2013], as part of the splitting, long-term syndicate leader Tribune Media Services rebranded itself, becoming Tribune Content Agency. The low-cost, higher-margin operation has been all about newspapers, but it, too, is staying with the broadcast-centric Tribune Company, and saying a big hello to content marketing. Meanwhile, those would-be profits that could have flowed to a buyer of newspaper assets now won't. That's a third deduction in market value. (Added clarification: Tribune Media Services was broken into two parts last fall, TMS Entertainment and TMS News & Features. It is TMS Entertainment (still named Tribune Media Services) which includes the lucrative TV listings and the movie showtimes business, that remains with the Tribune Company. TMS News & Features has become Tribune Content Agency, and will continue to syndicate news and features, while also pursuing new content marketing opportunities. Tribune Content Agency will become part of the to-be-split Tribune Publishing Company.)"
http://www.niemanlab.org/2013/07/the-newsonomics-of-tribunes-detour/

Because of their lead time most of the strips and panels
changed their distributor/copyright credit line from
Tribune Media Services to Tribune Content Agency
until early August 2013 (Sundays early September 2013).

Dick Tracy Saturday August 3, 2013:
http://assets.amuniversal.com/4eebd9e0d5fa0130f950001dd8b71c47?width=1500

Dick Tracy Monday August 5, 2013:
http://assets.amuniversal.com/26ab6ee0dab10130fcfc001dd8b71c47?width=1500

D.D.Degg
who noticed the Tribune Content Agency copyright
on the recent Dick Tracy/Annie crossover promo material.