Comic strip reruns with current year copyright

D Heine

Apr 19, 2017, 8:18:40 AM4/19/17
Last week the Dan Thompson Brevity comic strip was in "DAN THOMPSON" signed reruns with a current year copyright rather than the original year (This week Brevity is back to new episodes with Dan Thompson's "DAN" signature). There are comic strips I know of that are in reruns but carry the current year copyright rather than the old year it was released:
For Better or For Worse
Archie
Tiger
Crock
Redeye (still rerun abused on Sundays in the Arlington, IL Daily Herald Sunday comics)
...any others?

D.D.Degg

Apr 20, 2017, 1:49:10 AM4/20/17
D Heine wrote:
> There are comic strips I know of that are in reruns
> but carry the current year copyright rather than
> the old year it was released:
> For Better or For Worse
> Archie
> Tiger
> Crock
> Redeye

> ...any others?

You list a few King Features strips (Tiger, Crock, Redeye)
but all KFS rerun strips carry current year copyright.
Mandrake the Magician
Hazel
Henry
Flash Gordon
Sam and Silo
The Katzenjammer Kids
Popeye

All from years (decades) ago, but all copyright 2017.

I remember a few years ago Curtis ran reruns with
the original copyright date, that stuck in my mind
for being quite the oddity for King Features.

D.D.Degg

D Heine

Apr 20, 2017, 2:22:28 PM4/20/17
King Features has also done 1-2 weeks at times of Zits, Baby Blues, Six Chix, and Buckles reruns with the original year copyright and not the current year.

And when you see the My Cage reruns on gocomics: Instead of the King Features copyright there is a www.patreon.com/mycage plug.

nboady

Apr 23, 2017, 10:39:49 AM4/23/17
D Heine <Darry...@aol.com> wrote in
Many strips (like Pardon My Planet or Scary Gary) take older strips and
make cosmetic changes to them (slightly different colors, for instance) and
then run them with new copyright dates. Reruns that don't look like
reruns. Phoebe and Her Unicorn also does this but, in this instance,
strips that were created pre-syndication are colored and run.

John W Kennedy

Apr 23, 2017, 11:29:49 AM4/23/17
Some of those, of course, are establishing strips that /had/ to be
repeated. “Phoebe” is not a continuity-based strip in the way that “Rex
Morgan” or “Gasoline Alley” are, but it is still a strip in which
characters meet for the first time, and other events follow.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres

D Heine

Apr 23, 2017, 1:49:44 PM4/23/17
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 9:39:49 AM UTC-5, nboady wrote:
> D Heine wrote in
Don't forget in the past many years the Family Circus has used recycled Bil Keane art with some occassional tweaks (mostly for Thel's hairstyle).

D Heine

Jul 9, 2017, 9:43:04 AM7/9/17
I also notice that since 2010 the Sunday "Uncle Art's Funland" puzzle/game strip may have been off and on reruns with a new copyright current year date. Take for example in today's July 9, 2017 Uncle Art's Funland strip in the B&W puzzle box: It says "Print the first letter from each clue to find the answer, color your entry." - But since 2010 you no longer send CONTEST ENTRIES to Uncle Art's Funland (originally for prizes, but by the 2000's-2009 era just to see your name in print).

D Heine

Jul 30, 2017, 9:05:08 AM7/30/17
It happens again for the July 30, 2017 Uncle Art's Funland strip B&W puzzle box, this time it's "Print the first letter of each clue to spell the name of a city, color your entry."

D.D.Degg

Jul 31, 2017, 10:55:13 PM7/31/17
D Heine wrote:
> I also notice that since 2010 the Sunday "Uncle Art's Funland"
> puzzle/game strip may have been off and on reruns with a new
> copyright current year date.

I don't know why, and I have no proof,
but I just thought the feature had been
in reruns for years or decades.

Arthur William Nugent
February 20, 1891 - March 25, 1975

Arthur William Nugent, Jr.
February 6, 1926 - November 23, 1997

A. W. Nugent was doing puzzles for newspapers by the late 1920s
http://fultonhistory.com/newspaper%202/Auburn%20NY%20Citizen/Auburn%20NY%20Citizen%201930.pdf/Newspaper%20Auburn%20NY%20Citizen%201930%20-%200195.PDF
(scroll down for this 1930 example)

He created puzzle comic books, with some comic stories included
http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=65134

By 1953 Art and Art Jr. were partners
https://tinyurl.com/y8kfg8ws

There is an Arthur William Nugent who was born October 18, 1949
in the general area Jr. was living in the 1950s.
But I can find no connection between the two.

I can find no N. A. Nugent.
As far as I know N. A. Nugent is "Not A Nugent".

D.D.Degg

D Heine

Aug 1, 2017, 6:20:50 AM8/1/17
Maybe N.A. Nugent is a cousin of Art and Art Jr.? Like maybe Nick A. Nugent or Nancy A. Nugent or Nora A. Nugent or maybe a synomon of a ghost Art Nugent artist?

D Heine

Aug 3, 2017, 7:54:49 AM8/3/17
On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 7:18:40 AM UTC-5, D Heine wrote:
To date this week 2 Off The Mark reruns from the 1990's have a 2017 Andrews McMeel copyright.

D Heine

Aug 3, 2017, 7:55:16 AM8/3/17
The week of July 31-August 5, 2017, that is.

D Heine

Jan 3, 2018, 11:29:30 PM1/3/18
On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 12:49:10 AM UTC-5, D.D.Degg wrote:
Add the Tribune Content Agency owned Gasoline Alley to the list from recent months 2017-2018.

D.D.Degg

Jan 5, 2018, 8:31:39 PM1/5/18
D Heine wrote:
> There are comic strips I know of that are in reruns but carry
> the current year copyright rather than the old year it was released

In a reversal
most of King Features strips of this year (2018)
are still carrying a 2017 copyright sticker.
Safe Havens, for example:
https://comicskingdom.com/safe-havens/2018-01-05

I don't know how that works...
- does the syndicate send copyright stickers to the cartoonist?
- does the syndicate affix copyright tags to strips
when they arrive at the syndicate for preparation?
- are the copyright paste-ons part of the cartoonists'
responsibility and cost?

D.D.Degg

D Heine

Jan 6, 2018, 8:23:30 AM1/6/18
Actually, the first week of new year King Features strips have the previous year.

Horace LaBadie

Jan 6, 2018, 6:09:10 PM1/6/18
In article <600764fb-e1dd-4dae...@googlegroups.com>,
If it's any help, David Clark adds the copyright info to Barney & Clyde
in the gutter between the first and second panels of the dailies, and
under the first panel of Sundays.

D.D.Degg

Jan 6, 2018, 7:10:12 PM1/6/18
Horace LaBadie wrote:

> D Heine wrote:
>
> > D.D.Degg wrote:
> > > I don't know how that works...
> > > - does the syndicate send copyright stickers to the cartoonist?
> > > - does the syndicate affix copyright tags to strips
> > > when they arrive at the syndicate for preparation?
> > > - are the copyright paste-ons part of the cartoonists'
> > > responsibility and cost?
> >
> > Actually, the first week of new year King Features strips have the previous
> > year.

Taking the first ten strips listed
at the Comics Kingdom site
(The Amazing Spider-Man to Buckles)
http://comicskingdom.com/comics
Six of the ten have 2018 copyright dates.

The pattern seems to be that the strips
owned by King Features are © 2017,
while creator owned strips are © 2018.

> If it's any help, David Clark adds the copyright info to Barney & Clyde
> in the gutter between the first and second panels of the dailies, and
> under the first panel of Sundays.

And hand lettered not some boilerplate printed slug!
Thanks for the information.

D.D.Degg

D Heine

Jan 7, 2018, 9:52:32 AM1/7/18
On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 12:49:10 AM UTC-5, D.D.Degg wrote:
Of course, the Arlington (IL) Daily Herald still carries as it in 2018 now the rerun abused Sunday Redeye strips in its Sunday comics with a 2018 copyright date from King Features now.

Default User

Jan 10, 2018, 12:52:41 PM1/10/18
On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 8:52:32 AM UTC-6, D Heine wrote:

> Of course, the Arlington (IL) Daily Herald still carries as it in 2018 now the rerun abused Sunday Redeye strips in its Sunday comics with a 2018 copyright date from King Features now.

I had trouble parsing this sentence.

Brian

D Heine

Jan 10, 2018, 2:57:37 PM1/10/18
I meant to say Redeye now has a 2018 copyright date from King Features.