Peanuts: Can Snoopy Talk?

Khanh Nguyen

Apr 13, 1992, 5:41:07 PM4/13/92
A friend and I was discussing the other day about if Snoopy can
talk to others, or when he talks, do others hear?

Is he like in a world of his own like Calvin (& Hobbes) and has his
own imagination. Because most of the time that I've seen Snoopy talk,
he has thinking clouds.
And in the cartoons on TV, he never speaks (or am I wrong?).

As well, does he talk to Woodstock?

kbnguyen
waterloo, on
Khanh Nguyen @ Descartes Have a Nice Day!!

Carol Springs

Apr 13, 1992, 7:17:06 PM4/13/92
In article <1992Apr13....@descartes.waterloo.edu>
kbng...@descartes.waterloo.edu (Khanh Nguyen) writes:

> A friend and I was discussing the other day about if Snoopy can
>talk to others, or when he talks, do others hear?

Snoopy, along with many other comic strip animals, communicates by means
of telepathy.

--
Carol Springs car...@world.std.com

Mark Rosenfelder

Apr 13, 1992, 7:45:57 PM4/13/92
> A friend and I was discussing the other day about if Snoopy can
>talk to others, or when he talks, do others hear?
>
> Is he like in a world of his own like Calvin (& Hobbes) and has his
>own imagination. Because most of the time that I've seen Snoopy talk,
>he has thinking clouds.

He never talks (although he's been known to bark). However, the other
characters sometimes have an insight into what he's doing that would be
hard to figure if they can't read his mind-- e.g. how did they know that
he was reading _War and Peace_ one sentence per day? This is simply
one of the surrealistic elements in the strip.

Perhaps they just read his thought balloons.

> As well, does he talk to Woodstock?

He does seem to communicate with the birds.

"Mother Goose and Grimm" uses the same convention-- the animals only "speak"
in thought balloons-- in an even less rational way; you see Grimm and the
cat (Attila, I think) having long conversations apparently telepathically.

By contrast, Tintin's dog, Milou (or Snowy, if you insist), seems to be
able to speak perfectly well.

Karl Wagenfuehr

Apr 13, 1992, 9:16:18 PM4/13/92
In article <1992Apr13....@spss.com> mark...@spss.com (Mark Rosenfelder) writes:
>By contrast, Tintin's dog, Milou (or Snowy, if you insist), seems to be
>able to speak perfectly well.

On a related note, Jolly Jumper seems to be able to speak quite well, but
only Lucky Luke can understand him; he can also talk to other horses, and
I think he can talk to Rantanplan... I guess there is a special animal
language at work here, which Lucky Luke is able to understand.

Now I have to put on my asbestos suit, because these are not "strips"...
--
' ", *
Karl Wagenfuehr , "Weisst du, wieviel Sternlein stehen an dem

Derek LeLash

Apr 14, 1992, 2:42:18 AM4/14/92
A tip of the trivia toque to anyone who can remember the one time Snoopy
*did* speak, and what he said. (I actually only know the latter...)

Derek

--
Derek LeLash (de...@netcom.com) "I pulled into a fast food place, parked, and
Technical Writer/Mac Savant went in. I could have yelled my order into

John Przyborowski

Apr 14, 1992, 11:57:42 AM4/14/92
de...@netcom.com (Derek LeLash) writes:

>Derek

Was it ****HA!!!!!!!!*****?

john

Karl Wagenfuehr

Apr 14, 1992, 1:52:26 PM4/14/92
In article <ftxj46...@netcom.com> de...@netcom.com (Derek LeLash) writes:
>A tip of the trivia toque to anyone who can remember the one time Snoopy
>*did* speak, and what he said. (I actually only know the latter...)

Bark? OK, I don't know, but let me add to the trivia asking:
Who can remember the first time Snoopy thought in words, and what he thought?
(This goes waaay back!)

Steve Stelter

Apr 14, 1992, 4:06:03 PM4/14/92
mark...@spss.com (Mark Rosenfelder) writes:

>In article <1992Apr13....@descartes.waterloo.edu> kbng...@descartes.waterloo.edu (Khanh Nguyen) writes:
>> A friend and I was discussing the other day about if Snoopy can
>>talk to others, or when he talks, do others hear?
>>
>> Is he like in a world of his own like Calvin (& Hobbes) and has his
>>own imagination. Because most of the time that I've seen Snoopy talk,
>>he has thinking clouds.

>He never talks (although he's been known to bark). However, the other
>characters sometimes have an insight into what he's doing that would be
>hard to figure if they can't read his mind-- e.g. how did they know that
>he was reading _War and Peace_ one sentence per day? This is simply
>one of the surrealistic elements in the strip.

We also know that Snoopy is able to communicate through writing; Charlie
Brown is often called upon to proofread Snoopy's manuscripts.

--Steve Stelter
sjs2...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Craig Smith

Apr 14, 1992, 4:38:52 PM4/14/92
> A friend and I was discussing the other day about if Snoopy can
>talk to others, or when he talks, do others hear?

> Is he like in a world of his own like Calvin (& Hobbes) and has his
>own imagination. Because most of the time that I've seen Snoopy talk,
>he has thinking clouds.
> And in the cartoons on TV, he never speaks (or am I wrong?).

> As well, does he talk to Woodstock?

Snoopy uses the same mode of communication that Garfield uses, namely,
voluntary telepathy. The animal has to want the tought to be heard, and
the other character has to want to hear it.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: Craig Smith csm...@onetouch.COM ::

Raymond Suke Flournoy

Apr 14, 1992, 6:17:23 PM4/14/92
In article <1992Apr14.1...@udel.edu> wage...@huey.udel.edu (Karl Wagenfuehr) writes:
>In article <ftxj46...@netcom.com> de...@netcom.com (Derek LeLash) writes:
>>A tip of the trivia toque to anyone who can remember the one time Snoopy
>>*did* speak, and what he said. (I actually only know the latter...)
>>
>Bark?

This seems really familiar, so I will add my guess. There was a
long series of strips in which Pepperment Patty had Snoopy over for
some reason (?), and was still convinced that he was just a kid with a
big nose. When someone finally tells her that Snoopy is in fact a
beagle, she turns to him for confirmation. He gives a sheepish,
"Bark." (Or "Woof" or something)

Does this sound familiar to anyone? And does this not count as
speaking, even if it did appear in a balloon and not as onomatopoeia?

--Raymond Flournoy
flou...@cs.stanford.edu "For reasons I cannot explain
Computer Science Dept. There's some part of me wants to see
Stanford University, CA Graceland" -- P. Simon

David C Roller

Apr 14, 1992, 6:37:54 PM4/14/92
> A friend and I was discussing the other day about if Snoopy can
>talk to others, or when he talks, do others hear?

I don't know how else he communicates but he does type and other
characters read it.

He also has been Linus's Lawyer. You know a lawyer is a mouth piece.

oh well
just writing out loud.
Dave

Dale Stephenson

Apr 15, 1992, 12:21:53 AM4/15/92

> A friend and I was discussing the other day about if Snoopy can
>talk to others, or when he talks, do others hear?

Snoopy doesn't talk. He communicates with "the round-headed kid" via
non-verbal cues. (Gestures, props, etc.)

> Is he like in a world of his own like Calvin (& Hobbes) and has his
>own imagination.

No. There really *was* a Van Gogh in his basement. :->

>Because most of the time that I've seen Snoopy talk,
>he has thinking clouds.

I've never seen Snoopy talk without clouds. When he has the normal ballons,
it is to say something like "Growf".

> And in the cartoons on TV, he never speaks (or am I wrong?).

Quite correct. Of course, the adults never speak on any of the cartoons
worth watching.

> As well, does he talk to Woodstock?

Woodstock reads Snoopy's mind. Snoopy understands Woodstock's speech.
--
Dale J. Stephenson |*| (st...@cs.uiuc.edu) |*| Gigabit Study Group

"It is considered good to look wise, especially when not
overburdened with information" -- J. Golden Kimball

wide...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2016, 1:48:30 PM2/6/16
The only time I know of when Snoopy speaks is in the first year of the strip when Snoopy pops out of a pumpkin on Charlie Brown's head and says, "Boo!!" startling the other kids in costumes.

Brian Henke

Feb 6, 2016, 2:32:42 PM2/6/16
On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 1:48:30 PM UTC-5, wide...@gmail.com wrote:
> The only time I know of when Snoopy speaks is in the first year of the strip when Snoopy pops out of a pumpkin on Charlie Brown's head and says, "Boo!!" startling the other kids in costumes.

This has to be a record for longest time between replies on Usenet - 23 years.

Cincy...@aol.com

-----

Judge Parker, One Big Happy, comics you can read

- Name three things that used to be in Cincinnati you can now find in Atlanta

D Heine

Feb 7, 2016, 8:51:46 AM2/7/16
On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 12:48:30 PM UTC-6, wide...@gmail.com wrote:
> The only time I know of when Snoopy speaks is in the first year of the strip when Snoopy pops out of a pumpkin on Charlie Brown's head and says, "Boo!!" startling the other kids in costumes.

How about Garfield? He thinks to himself. So does the comic strip baby named Marvin.

I even remember in the My Cage newspaper run comic strip Sunny (Rex and Violet's baby child) thinks to herself.

Brian O

Feb 8, 2016, 11:24:07 PM2/8/16
There was a strip in the early '50s, where Snoopy dreams that he can speak, and shouts commands at his 'pet', Charlie Brown.
He seems to be able to translate Woodstock's 'chirps' into English, but can't speak 'bird talk', either.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Feb 9, 2016, 12:39:39 AM2/9/16
In article <8359c813-3e49-4861...@googlegroups.com>,
But he can definitely write. The other characters often read whatever
story he is typing, and comment on it. Of course this is all in its
own little "writing" continuity -- Snoopy would never, for example,
write Charlie Brown a note about what he would like for supper.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

tho...@verizon.net

Apr 2, 2020, 10:40:22 PM4/2/20
I am reading THE COMPLETE PEANUTS right now-- coming to the end of the run-- December '97. And on 12/19/97 Snoopy (dressed as a Salvation Army Santa) does indeed speak out loud with real words. Regular dialog balloon. And he punctuates it with a spoken "woof-woof". This is years after the initial question here was asked, of course. And man, it is JARRING-- it really comes across as an error, somehow. Oddly enough I can't find any discussion about it anywhere. . .

Also, there was a storyline several years earlier where Snoopy was away (a camp? A tennis tournaent?) and he was writing letters in English back to his "Round-headed Owner", which were read out loud. Again, it seemed to take the strip into an odder, less comfortable level of surreality. . .

Humanbelly

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 3, 2020, 1:00:12 AM4/3/20
In article <25b4f748-2f30-4355...@googlegroups.com>,
Interesting. I did not remember that.

Here is the 12/19/97 strip, and it *is* odd:

https://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1997/12/19

D Heine

Apr 3, 2020, 8:02:51 AM4/3/20
On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 12:00:12 AM UTC-5, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article ,
> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 12:39:39 AM UTC-5, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> >> In article ,
That was a 1989 rerun in 1997.

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Apr 3, 2020, 11:42:01 AM4/3/20
On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 1:00:12 AM UTC-4, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

> >I am reading THE COMPLETE PEANUTS right now-- coming to the end of the
> >run-- December '97. And on 12/19/97 Snoopy (dressed as a Salvation Army
> >Santa) does indeed speak out loud with real words. Regular dialog
> >balloon. And he punctuates it with a spoken "woof-woof". This is years
> >after the initial question here was asked, of course. And man, it is
> >JARRING-- it really comes across as an error, somehow. Oddly enough I
> >can't find any discussion about it anywhere. . .
> >

> >Humanbelly
>
> Interesting. I did not remember that.
>
> Here is the 12/19/97 strip, and it *is* odd:
>
> https://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1997/12/19

There is a tradition of animals being able to speak on Christmas Eve. Perhaps this is a reference to that?

D Heine

Apr 4, 2020, 6:50:40 AM4/4/20
Have there been some 1950's Peanuts strips where Snoopy talks rather than using thought balloons?

Tim Chow

Apr 8, 2020, 9:25:05 PM4/8/20
On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 6:50:40 AM UTC-4, D Heine wrote:

> Have there been some 1950's Peanuts strips where Snoopy talks rather than
> using thought balloons?

Snoopy talks in the 4 April 1952 strip, but it's in a dream.

Aside from things like "WOOF" and "ARF" and "SIGH" I think that there are
no other intentional examples of Snoopy talking. For example, in the
22 Feb 1955 strip, Snoopy is shown using the pointy "speech" indicator
rather than the bubbly "thought" indicator, but I think that this was just
a slip-up by Schulz. In the 23 Dec 1989 strip, already mentioned, I think
that the speech indicator is just supposed to indicate that he barked out
loud, not that his thoughts were also spoken out loud.

That said, in the 16 Dec 1962 and 6 July 1971 strips, Snoopy is shown with
a speech indicator, and in both cases, he is singing. My guess is that he
is supposed to be singing musical notes only, and the words are in his mind,
but who knows?

---
Tim Chow

Tim Chow

Jun 22, 2020, 9:26:23 AM6/22/20
On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 9:25:05 PM UTC-4, I wrote:
> On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 6:50:40 AM UTC-4, D Heine wrote:
>
> > Have there been some 1950's Peanuts strips where Snoopy talks rather than
> > using thought balloons?
>
> Snoopy talks in the 4 April 1952 strip, but it's in a dream.

Over in alt.comics.peanuts, someone noticed that Snoopy "talks" in the
January 13, 1963 strips, but this appears to be a mistake on Schulz's part.

---
Tim Chow

bul...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2020, 7:09:08 PM6/26/20
On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 2:25:05 AM UTC+1, Tim Chow wrote:
> On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 6:50:40 AM UTC-4, D Heine wrote:
>
> > Have there been some 1950's Peanuts strips where Snoopy talks rather than
> > using thought balloons?
>
> Snoopy talks in the 4 April 1952 strip, but it's in a dream.
>
> Aside from things like "WOOF" and "ARF" and "SIGH" I think that there are
> no other intentional examples of Snoopy talking. For example, in the
> 22 Feb 1955 strip, Snoopy is shown using the pointy "speech" indicator
> rather than the bubbly "thought" indicator, but I think that this was just
> a slip-up by Schulz.

Snoopy "speaking" is quite common in the early strips: 16 Aug 1953, 9 Mar 1954, 26 Jan 1955, 5 Feb 1955, 26 Feb 1955 are some examples.

There are also a few where Schulz apparently indicates that it's thought rather than speech by using a "cloud"-shaped word balloon, while still having the 'pointy "speech" indicator', e.g. 19 Oct 1952, 6 & 8 Feb 1953.