Unreachable Star Reviews March 28th, 2007 (SPOILERS)

Peter Dimitriadis

Mar 28, 2007, 4:31:12 PM3/28/07
This is our 213th edition, and back to just one book. Might as
well get right to it, too.

This week we have...

Ultimate X-Men #80 - 3.25 Stars

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

-

Ultimate X-Men #80 - "Aftermath, Part 2" (Writer: Robert Kirkman,
Pencils:
Yanick Paquette, Inks: Serge LaPointe, Colors:
Stephane Peru)

With Xavier dead, Scott, Jean and Storm must decide to do with the
school, and other mutants make decisions about their own lives.

Like last issue, this is one of those quieter issues, where people
mourn and move on with their lives, but there's not much action.
Traditionally such events are one issue in length, but in the Ultimate
world, that gets doubled. But there's some good stuff in here, if a
little sedate. I enjoy the continuing of Peter and Northstar's
relationship, and a nice nod to the continuity of Bishop's history in
the Ultimate-verse, where what seemed at first to be an inconsistency
was proven not to be.

My only minor complaint is I'm not terribly fond of Ultimate Pyro.
I have a bit of a conservative streak in me - I'm fine with radical
reinterpretations of 616 characters in the Ultimateverse, but when
the original character is dead (or depowered or otherwise
unrecognizeable from their original state), my feelings change. In
such cases, I'd prefer they stick closer to the original, as a means
of pleasing fans of the character. I only hope the Morlocks don't
contain more examples of this.

So, it's moderately enjoyable, although I do fear a slight wearying of
the Ultimate X-Men series. The stories are enjoyable, but I think it
really needs to start building some momentum soon. Of course, an
aftermath issue isn't the place to expect that, but I hope they get
on that soon.

Review: 3.25 stars

-

Well, that's it for this week folks. Next week, according to the
shipping list, there's two books. We have Avengers: The Initiative
#1,
and Runaways #25, which starts Joss Whedon's run on the title.

See you next week...

Peter Dimitriadis
http://www.unreachablestar.net
The Unreachable Star - Comics & SF News/Reviews/Opinion