Doom 2099 & Mr. Ellis ...

GREG REID

Dec 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/11/95

If you are still listening Warren I had a question. I have noted that in
both your and Moore's runs on the book that neither of you really touched
Doom's mystic side. There was some hint with the Vox character early on but
he seemed to disappear. In your case I thought it would have been great to
explain Doom's escape from the white house and survival on the street by
hinting that he'd been using some of those old gypsy tricks that he knew.

Anyways what I wanted to ask (since you are now off the book :( ) was if this
non-mystic Doom was deliberate or just an aspect that you never chose
to pursue?

If it was deliberate no need to elaborate, I am hoping there is more to this
and will be explored in future issues.

PRQ

Warren Ellis

Dec 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/11/95
Greg Reid writes;

<Anyways what I wanted to ask (since you are now off the book :(
) was if this non-mystic Doom was deliberate or just an aspect
that you never chose to pursue?>

I chose not to pursue because, ultimately, the magic stuff wasn't
as interesting to me (in this instance) as the political stuff.
I wanted to write a piece of political sf, so I kind of ignored
the magical side of Doom. I felt it was more important to drag a
REALLY ignored side of Doom into the limelight -- his
revolutionary aspect.

Did I tell you the new writer is Tom Peyer?

--
~ send me a great deal of money immediately ~

GREG REID

Dec 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/11/95
In article <4ahb3q$eid$5...@mhadg.production.compuserve.com> Warren Ellis <10061...@CompuServe.COM> writes:
>... I felt it was more important to drag a
>REALLY ignored side of Doom into the limelight -- his
>revolutionary aspect.

Yes and I loved you for it. By far some of the best stuff I have ever read.
It's a pity you weren't given the chance to explore other aspects of the
character.

>Did I tell you the new writer is Tom Peyer?

Yes I had heard that but I am unfamiliar with his work. All I know is that
they are starting and time-travel story as of iss 39-40 (which is where you
left right?). I have a bad feeling that this might tie into the present FF
line as well as they have been hinting at more information connecting Doctor
Doom to Doom 2099. Please please tell me that, whoever this Peyer guy is, he
will keep a tight reign on Doom and not let the editors have their way with
him. The thought of Ryan/Defalco having anything to do with Doom 2099 scares
me to no end.

PRQ

Warren Ellis

Dec 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/12/95
Dwight Williams writes;

<Although, after Peyer's work on LEGION/REBELS 'xx, I might
wonder again over that question. Did anybody catch that
plot-spoiling article in _MarvelVision_ # 2 this month on the
Peyer taekover? >

Nope. Wha'happen?

--
~ send me a great deal of money immediately ~

SMOKE DAMAGE!
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/WarrenEllis

Dwight Williams

Dec 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/12/95

Warren Ellis (10061...@CompuServe.COM) writes:
> Greg Reid writes;
>
> <Anyways what I wanted to ask (since you are now off the book :(
> ) was if this non-mystic Doom was deliberate or just an aspect
> that you never chose to pursue?>
>
> I chose not to pursue because, ultimately, the magic stuff wasn't
> as interesting to me (in this instance) as the political stuff.
> I wanted to write a piece of political sf, so I kind of ignored
> the magical side of Doom. I felt it was more important to drag a
> REALLY ignored side of Doom into the limelight -- his
> revolutionary aspect.

An interesting point, and one you made rather well during your tenure.
Doom the technologist and Doom the sorceror have already been covered
fairly well after 35 years. What else was there, really?

> Did I tell you the new writer is Tom Peyer?

Although, after Peyer's work on LEGION/REBELS 'xx, I might wonder again

over that question. Did anybody catch that plot-spoiling article in
_MarvelVision_ # 2 this month on the Peyer taekover?

--
Dwight Williams(ad...@freenet.carleton.ca) -- Orleans, Ontario, Canada

Joey Santoro

Dec 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/18/95
GREG REID (gr...@calumet.yorku.ca) wrote:

: If you are still listening Warren I had a question. I have noted that in

: both your and Moore's runs on the book that neither of you really touched
: Doom's mystic side. There was some hint with the Vox character early on but
: he seemed to disappear. In your case I thought it would have been great to
: explain Doom's escape from the white house and survival on the street by
: hinting that he'd been using some of those old gypsy tricks that he knew.

: Anyways what I wanted to ask (since you are now off the book :( ) was if this

: non-mystic Doom was deliberate or just an aspect that you never chose
: to pursue?

: If it was deliberate no need to elaborate, I am hoping there is more to this

: and will be explored in future issues.

Doom 2099 #13 is a mystical/techno story, called "Necrotek
Rising" and featuring Vox (rember the supporting cast, Warren?? I do hint
hint). It was obviously a filler story, but it was a GOOD filler story.
--Joe

: PRQ