Squadron Supreme and Ultimate Power question

Wayne S Garmil

Jul 14, 2007, 8:35:51 PM7/14/07
Having just read the new Joe Fridays on Newsarama
(http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFridays/NewBarberFridays.html), I am
confused on Squadron Supreme and Ultimate Power. As originally
announced, Ultimate Power takes place after Squadron Supreme #8, which
is the last part of the story that was currently running in that series.
However, that interview said that Ultimate Power now takes place after
#7, and it is JMS's final issue. So I take it we will never see the
final part of the Return of Redstone story.

Since Ultimate Power now takes place before Ultimates 3, instead of
after it, I guess the secret character switch between Squadron Supreme
and Ultimateverse is not happening now (since there are now a LOT of
stories taking place in the Ultimateverse after the switch was
supposed to have happen). What a mess this has been. A nine issue
weekly series is now a bi-monthly series, and is set in the past
instead of having an ending that will signifiantly effect all
Ultimateverse titles.

Wayne

--
_ __ _ __ | I see the girls walk by dressed in
' ) / // / / ) / | their summer clothes; I have to turn

cyk...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2007, 4:09:20 PM7/16/07

Well, with both Squadron Supreme and Ultimates on hiatus, the mini-
series could still have meaningful consequences for both books despite
being set in the relative past. Even though the the other Ultimate U
titles are chugging along just fine and apparently taking place post-
Ultimate Power, appearances by the Ultimates therein can be fudged as
needed. Sort of like Astonishing X-Men right now... "stepping between
the raindrops of continuity." For example, have we seen the full post-
Ultimates #13 roster in tact in other Ultimate U books? If so, is it
outside the realm of possibility that those appearances take place
before Ultimate Power? It wouldn't shock me to see one character from
the Ultimates donated to Squadron Supreme to boost the latter's
sales. The Squadron could still lose a member or two to the
Ultimates, and just hasn't appeared with them yet. Who knows.
Nevertheless, the mini-series has just about fallen off the radar due
to delays and whatever impact it does have is sure to be massively
diluted as a result. And I agree, we probably won't see a proper
follow-up to the Redstone arc, but hopefully the next writer will at
least pay lip service to it.

--Tim