2099 Problems ...

Michael Shivers

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95

Okay, I love most of the 2099 books (and especially Warren's work
on the whole 2099 universe), but some things have been bugging the
hell out of me.

1st - the continuity errors in 2099 Apoc. just about ruined the whole
book for me. The Punisher that died in that book couldn't have
possibly been the same one we saw at the end of his series. He had
no goatee (minor point), and he wasn't FLOATING IN SPACE IN A BIG
HONKIN' GUN! Now, I can let some continuity slide, but, folks, this
isn't a little problem! How could Jake have gone from being in
orbit around the earth with Vendetta, preparing the use this giant
weapon to blow the shit out of New York, to being chased through the
streets by SHIELD? It just made no sense. Also, although I didn't
keep up with his book, it is my understanding that the same kind
of continuity problem happened to good ol' Hulk 2099.
I kept hoping that by 2099 Genesis, it would be revealed that these
were doctored newsfeed from Herod to show the American public that
the "new heroes" didn't stand a chance against the corporate powers,
but so far, not one word has been written about this.
AAARRRRGH!

2nd - Why the hell can't they come up with some more ORIGINAL 2099
characters? I mean, I love Spidey 2099, Doom 2099, and even the
X-Men 2099, but I'm ready for some more original characters like
Ravage. I still think its a shame that he was cancelled, but, after
all, the quality on the book was really inconsistent, so I wasn't
surprised. They can somehow come up with all these new characters
to stick in the X-Men (and now X-Nation), but they can't come up
with a single totally original character that would be popular enough
to have a lasting solo series? How come?
It's just too darn coincidental that ALL these new 2099 heroes are
patterned after the same heroes that were on the earth over 100 years
ago. It's getting on my nerves.

Okay, that's it. Just had to vent for a little bit. I really do
enjoy the 2099 titles, and is these little problems were fixed, they would
be the most perfectest titles out there ...

Michael Shivers
Ross : "It's one of the most beautiful, natural things in the world ..."
Joey : "Yeah, we know, but there's a baby sucking on it ..."

James Gardipee

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
On 29 Nov 1995, Michael Shivers wrote:

> Date: 29 NOV 1995 05:51:55 GMT
> From: Michael Shivers <cjh...@acs.tamu.edu>
> Newgroups: rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe
> Subject: 2099 Problems ...

This has been my basic problem with 2099 titles. I have given a few of
them a try to see if I like them, and invariably the answer is no. Being
the Marvel sucker that I am though, I did get 2099 Apocalypse, and will
get 2099 Genesis (won't En Sabah Nur and Tyler Dayspring be pissed when
they find out that their names are being used?). FF 2099 seems
interesting and, like the fool I am, I'll give that a chance. It just
seems to me that this whole 2099 thing is crap. It took 25 issues for
the X-Men to become a team? Makes sense to me. (I did like 2099
Apocalypse though)

PUBS? Where bad men drink|One must know about one's enemies. |2 wrongs don't
and women get... get... |Find out about the Cult of Steve. |make a right.
PREGNANT? |http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/samills|3 rights make
-Wolfsbane| DEATH TO STEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! |a left.

Joey Santoro

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
Michael Shivers (cjh...@acs.tamu.edu) wrote:

[...]

Sadly, even though this is 2099... its still Marvel :(

: 2nd - Why the hell can't they come up with some more ORIGINAL 2099

: characters? I mean, I love Spidey 2099, Doom 2099, and even the
: X-Men 2099, but I'm ready for some more original characters like
: Ravage. I still think its a shame that he was cancelled, but, after
: all, the quality on the book was really inconsistent, so I wasn't
: surprised. They can somehow come up with all these new characters
: to stick in the X-Men (and now X-Nation), but they can't come up
: with a single totally original character that would be popular enough
: to have a lasting solo series? How come?

I agree, Ravage was the comic that got me into comic collecting
(when it was written by Stan Lee that is) and I would love to see a
Galahad, Metalscream, or Duke Startosphere book (maybe Wire is still
alive in the net somewhere) But alas, the first two got killed off and
the DUke seems to be in Marvel Limbo right now

: It's just too darn coincidental that ALL these new 2099 heroes are

: patterned after the same heroes that were on the earth over 100 years
: ago. It's getting on my nerves.

: Okay, that's it. Just had to vent for a little bit. I really do
: enjoy the 2099 titles, and is these little problems were fixed, they would
: be the most perfectest titles out there ...

I agree.. Hey, Warren, fix it!! quick! ;)
Maybe if ya do we'll send ya a great deal of money immediately!
-- Joe
resident 2099 guru

Jim Perreault

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
James Gardipee <ja...@efn.org> writes:

>interesting and, like the fool I am, I'll give that a chance. It just
>seems to me that this whole 2099 thing is crap. It took 25 issues for
>the X-Men to become a team? Makes sense to me. (I did like 2099
>Apocalypse though)

I disagree. I think the 2099 books are some of the best mainstream
super-hero books on the market. It didn't bother me at all that it took 25
issues for X-men to become a team. In fact, I liked the slow pacing, but
with deliberate plot progression.

I do agree with the original post that there should be more original
characters. It seems like all the characters created for 2099 ( Ravage,
Vox, Fortune, Wire, Xandra ) were killed off. I guess the current market
just doesn't suport more original titles. Too bad.

I do plan on buying FF 2099 starting with the 2nd issue. I skipped the
first issue because of the fancy cover.

Jim

--
Jim Perreault
j...@acsu.buffalo.edu

Warren Ellis

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
Michael Shivers writes;

> 1st - the continuity errors in 2099 Apoc. just about ruined the
whole > book for me. The Punisher that died in that book
couldn't have > possibly been the same one we saw at the end of

his series...he wasn't FLOATING IN SPACE IN A BIG > HONKIN' GUN!

Now, I can let some continuity slide, but, folks, this > isn't a

little problem! .... Also, although I didn't > keep up with his

book, it is my understanding that the same kind > of continuity
problem happened to good ol' Hulk 2099.>

Okay, I understand this, and I have answers;

1) The office never sent out any reference, so, in writing it, I
kinda had to make it up as I went along, following vague details
given on the phone.
2) When the script went in, no-one phoned to tell me that the
Punisher was actually in a big honkin' gun, The Hulk was supposed
to have mutated, and all of that. They just ran it. God knows
why, as I was writing WELL ahead of publication time.
The continuity should have been in place for this book, but
someone in the office appears to have decided against it. My
apologies.

--
~ send me a great deal of money immediately ~

TechnoMage

Dec 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/2/95

>I disagree. I think the 2099 books are some of the best mainstream
>super-hero books on the market. It didn't bother me at all that it took 25
>issues for X-men to become a team. In fact, I liked the slow pacing, but
>with deliberate plot progression.
>
>I do agree with the original post that there should be more original
>characters. It seems like all the characters created for 2099 ( Ravage,
>Vox, Fortune, Wire, Xandra ) were killed off. I guess the current market
>just doesn't suport more original titles. Too bad.
>
>I do plan on buying FF 2099 starting with the 2nd issue. I skipped the
>first issue because of the fancy cover.

I'm with you, pal... The 2099 books are, by far, the best books Marvel has
published in a looooong time. Sure they were crap at first. Things have
changed, though. It is my humble opinion that Ghost Rider 2099 is the best
damn book being put out on a monthly basis by ANY publisher. Figures that it's
cancelled as of #25. I'll really miss this one. Kaminski and comapany did a
wonderful job of creating something totally new and fresh with an old-hat
concept. And he never considered the readers to be anything less than
intellectual equals.

Doom 2099 is almost as good as GR2099. As artistically sound and complex as
any Vertigo book (and, in many ways, a lot less "trendy") and a helluva ride.
Herod is shaping up to be one of the better villians of the 90's. I like a
book that takes it's time... allows the plot to slowly evolve, to build up
steam. The climax is much more satisfying, IMO, when things are allowed to
proceed at a natural pace. Same holds true with the X-Men 2099. So it took 25
issues, so what? If you want faced-paced mindless action, there are PLENTY of
other books out there that will satisfy you. One drawback: I absolutely LOATHE
Lim's art. Always have. Everything looks plastic and devoid of style. Give me
Pugh, anyday...

Eagerly awaiting FF 2099.

Brought to you by the fine folks at TechnoMage Industries.
Our motto: You can lead a fool to knowledge but you can't
make him think! Ask me about: The Residents, Frank Zappa,
Roland GR-1 and GK-2A, Industrial, UFOs, Trance, X-Files,
Comics, Digital Audio, Photoshop, Experimental Sound,
X-Men, Ambient Soundscapes, Fast Tracker, Sampling, Guitar,
SAW, MIDI, MODS, NIN, Vertigo, etc....

Michael Shivers

Dec 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/3/95

Well, I figured it was something like that. I don't blame you
at all. Now, however, you have a mission. Fix it.

I'm sure a writer of your talent and skill (blatent ass kiss)
would have no trouble explaining the little oversights in
a way that would preserve continuity. I know you're leaving
Doom and everything, but do you think you could still write
some stuff for 2099 and explain this? (Maybe something with
a chromium cover. Marvel would love that ...)

I know I wouldn't be the only one to appreciate it ... hell, you
might even be sent a great deal of money immediately ...

Michael Shivers
.... who now believes that Marvel Inc. is run by the autistic clone
of Screech from "Saved by the Bell" ...

Robert Farley

Dec 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/5/95
In article <49mjf0$40h$1...@mhadf.production.compuserve.com>, Warren Ellis <10061...@CompuServe.COM> says:

>Michael Shivers writes;
>
>> 1st - the continuity errors in 2099 Apoc. just about ruined the
>whole > book for me. The Punisher that died in that book
>couldn't have > possibly been the same one we saw at the end of
>his series...he wasn't FLOATING IN SPACE IN A BIG > HONKIN' GUN!
> Now, I can let some continuity slide, but, folks, this > isn't a
>little problem! .... Also, although I didn't > keep up with his
>book, it is my understanding that the same kind > of continuity
>problem happened to good ol' Hulk 2099.>
>
>Okay, I understand this, and I have answers;
>
>1) The office never sent out any reference, so, in writing it, I
>kinda had to make it up as I went along, following vague details
>given on the phone.
>2) When the script went in, no-one phoned to tell me that the
>Punisher was actually in a big honkin' gun, The Hulk was supposed
>to have mutated, and all of that. They just ran it. God knows
>why, as I was writing WELL ahead of publication time.
>The continuity should have been in place for this book, but
>someone in the office appears to have decided against it. My
>apologies.
>
>--
> ~ send me a great deal of money immediately ~

Warren you do have a way out of this, the Punisher said he was returning
to Earth to direct Vendetta from there, so he landed and got himself killed
almost immediately (only having enough time to shave off the beard). The
gamma bomb that went off in California didn't mutate the Hulk again, it
created a new one who's going to start a mad rampage across America any
time now, the original wasn't mutated but did get shot.

But seeing as you seem to be leaving 2099 (sob, sob!) this probably doesn't
affect you.

Rob "Just call me Mr. Fixit" Farley.

Warren Ellis

Dec 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/5/95
LRCcl...@jeflin.tju.edu writes;

<wouldn't you voraciously read every appearance of the
characters you were writing that you could reasonably get your
hands on, especially the more recent ones, to get some sort of an
idea of what that character is like and even, hey, _where_ they
are? Like I said, it just seems to me that anyone I've ever
known would do it that way. But, maybe they think we're wierd in
the pro offices. Course I don't have to sell out to Image.>

..unless , of course, those books hadn't actually been published
at the time you were writing the book, for most special projects
are conceived and written a great many months before the release
date... so all you have to go on is the "timelines" submitted by
the writers of the other books, which strangely never made it
into the FedEx shipments to England...

LRCclass27

Dec 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/5/95
Maybe this is just me, but I don't think so. I assume everyone who
posts on this newsgroup has at least dreamt of someday getting the
chance to write or draw or somehow work on a real, world-wide
distributed Comicbook. Now if by some chance the generic "you" ever did
get to do so, wouldn't you voraciously read every appearance of the
characters you were writing that you could reasonably get your hands on,
especially the more recent ones, to get some sort of an idea of what
that character is like and even, hey, _where_ they are? Like I said, it
just seems to me that anyone I've ever known would do it that way. But,
maybe they think we're wierd in the pro offices. Course I don't have to
sell out to Image.

Just winging it? Sheesh.

Warren Ellis

Dec 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/8/95
Joey Santoro writes, re; 2099 Apocalypse/Genesis et al;

<I agree.. Hey, Warren, fix it!! quick! ;)

Maybe if ya do we'll send ya a great deal of money immediately!>

Love to. But I don't work there any more. I quit, remember?

Arnoldo Garza Quezada

Dec 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/9/95
Warren Ellis <10061...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:

>Love to. But I don't work there any more. I quit, remember?

Er....

I was a reader of Doom, and liked John Francis Moore stories. But
then, a 'Brit' took over and after some numbers the stories judt
didn't appeal to me... And I was seeking excuses to cancel titles
since the Dollar-Peso exchange rate was (is) killing my wallet (Thank
God I'm still single ! ).
Anyway, my good friend Santiago never quit the title, I read them and
I'm repentant. I've sinned. Please forgive me.

Great stories, Mr. Ellis !. All that bio-technology (or whatever) is
just great! And then we saw Latveria 'cleansed' !. It's just horrible
what happens to that people, indeed.

When the A.D. story began, I didn't like Doom's attitude, but after
seeing his loved country destroyed, he returned to the one we're
expecting.

And now I learn this great writer just quit the book!
Why ? Why ?
I thought the 2099 Universe was creator's heaven.
This J. Cavalliery (sp?) guy seems to be O.K. Or is it the new- Editor
In Chief Bobbie Chase ?
When Marvelution began, I thought it's an injustice to be named EiC
someone who didn't design the 2099 Universe. Just because she has more
editorial merits in other titles than J.Cavallieri ?
The guy coordinated 2099 !

Can you shed some light in this ?

P.S. I bet that Dust fella is Nate or X-Man, that guy who appeared in
Age of Apocalypse, right ?

Arnoldo Garza Q.
arg...@pixelnet.pixel.com.mx Monterrey, Mexico
Standard disclaimers apply...