The most implausible thing about BoP (no spoilers)

1 view

Bill Bickel

Oct 27, 2002, 2:10:09 PM10/27/02
Can anybody imagine Batman having sex without taking every possible
contraceptive precaution?

Bill Bickel
http://www.comicsidontunderstand.com
http://crime.about.com/msubcomics.htm

Brenda W. Clough

Oct 27, 2002, 2:25:51 PM10/27/02
Bill Bickel wrote:

>Can anybody imagine Batman having sex without taking every possible
>contraceptive precaution?

More importantly and realistically, can anyone imagine -Bruce Wayne- not
using contraceptives? A very rich man is constantly in danger of being
sued (falsely or truly) for child support. They learn at their nannies'
knees to be careful.

Brenda

--
---------
Brenda W. Clough

My web page is at http://www.sff.net/people/Brenda/

Bill Bickel

Oct 27, 2002, 2:38:32 PM10/27/02

"Brenda W. Clough" <clo...@erols.com> wrote in message

> Bill Bickel wrote:
>
> >Can anybody imagine Batman having sex without taking every possible
> >contraceptive precaution?
> >

> More importantly and realistically, can anyone imagine -Bruce Wayne- not
> using contraceptives? A very rich man is constantly in danger of being
> sued (falsely or truly) for child support. They learn at their nannies'
> knees to be careful.

But they're also taught that money can make almost any problem go away.

Tenzel Kim

Oct 27, 2002, 3:44:46 PM10/27/02
Bill Bickel wrote:

> Can anybody imagine Batman having sex without taking every possible
> contraceptive precaution?

Well, even though you can take a precaution which is 100% sure most
aren't and if Batman doesn't want to close of the possibility of getting
his own biological child forever there's always a chance that even if
you are using proper precaution it might not be enough.

I thought this was standard knowledge.

Tenz.

Brian Doyle

Oct 27, 2002, 4:10:01 PM10/27/02

"Bill Bickel" <bill...@optonline.com> wrote in message

> Can anybody imagine Batman having sex without taking every possible
> contraceptive precaution?

Apart from there being no 100% effective male prophylactic short of celibacy, you
have to remember that Selina is the worlds greatest thief, you'd be amazed what she
could manage to remove from Batman's person at even the most unlikley moments....

Dead to Rights

Oct 27, 2002, 7:16:46 PM10/27/02
>Can anybody imagine Batman having sex without taking every possible
>contraceptive precaution?

Batman can't resist that pussy.

__

Yes, you too can own a newsgroup and get the idiots within to help you do it.
Ask me how!

Ian Boothby

Oct 27, 2002, 7:46:19 PM10/27/02

Tenzel Kim <tenze...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Bill Bickel wrote:
>
> > Can anybody imagine Batman having sex without taking every possible
> > contraceptive precaution?

She does have claws and things can tear.

Jeremy Henderson

Oct 27, 2002, 8:37:52 PM10/27/02
On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:25:51 -0500, "Brenda W. Clough"
<clo...@erols.com> wrote:

>Bill Bickel wrote:
>
>>Can anybody imagine Batman having sex without taking every possible
>>contraceptive precaution?
>>

>More importantly and realistically, can anyone imagine -Bruce Wayne- not
>using contraceptives? A very rich man is constantly in danger of being
>sued (falsely or truly) for child support. They learn at their nannies'
>knees to be careful.

He didn't use anything when he had sex with Talia. And no, that story
isn't in continuity...but neither is the BoP TV show.

coondawg

Oct 27, 2002, 9:17:22 PM10/27/02
i would imagine he has been "fixed"

"Brenda W. Clough" <clo...@erols.com> wrote in message

Les Bonser

Oct 27, 2002, 9:17:18 PM10/27/02
On 10/27/2002 11:10 AM, in article
lSWu9.8136$mt....@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net, "Bill Bickel"
<bill...@optonline.com> wrote:

> Can anybody imagine Batman having sex without taking every possible
> contraceptive precaution?

No. But I CAN imagine Selina Kyle tricking him into inseminating her if she
wanted a child.

Richard B. Becker

Oct 27, 2002, 9:43:38 PM10/27/02

I can see Robin's reaction now:

"Holy unsafe sex, Batman! Did you forget to use your Bat-condom?"

--Richard

Brenda W. Clough

Oct 27, 2002, 10:20:28 PM10/27/02
This is surpassingly unlikely, especially in an era where less drastic
methods of birth control are readily available. There isn't a doctor in
the country who would 'snip' a young man who had not already reproduced.
The operation is difficult to reverse, and who's to say the patient
might not meet his dream girl in twenty-two years and then want to
engender a family? Also, Bruce himself might not want to close off that
option. Does he really want to be the last of the Waynes?

Brenda

Brenda W. Clough

Oct 27, 2002, 10:21:10 PM10/27/02
Richard B. Becker wrote:

So that's what he carries in that Utility Belt!

Glenn Simpson

Oct 27, 2002, 10:30:19 PM10/27/02
"Bill Bickel" <bill...@optonline.com> wrote in message news:<lSWu9.8136$mt....@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...

I'd have to go with "He never expected to fall in love with a criminal
in the first place, so their relationship continued to be a matter of
him not being prepared for what ended up happening."

Jeff Troutman

Oct 27, 2002, 11:57:58 PM10/27/02
"Glenn Simpson" <gls36...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Bill Bickel" <bill...@optonline.com> wrote in message
> > Can anybody imagine Batman having sex without taking every possible
> > contraceptive precaution?
> >

> I'd have to go with "He never expected to fall in love with a criminal
> in the first place, so their relationship continued to be a matter of
> him not being prepared for what ended up happening."

I'd just go with "Sh*t happens."

Jeff Troutman

BHMarks

Oct 28, 2002, 12:14:30 AM10/28/02
>From: "Brenda W. Clough" clo...@erols.com

>There isn't a doctor in
>the country who would 'snip' a young man who had not already reproduced.

Citation?

As ever,
Bennet

Duggy

Oct 28, 2002, 12:28:17 AM10/28/02

"Brenda W. Clough" wrote:

> This is surpassingly unlikely, especially in an era where less drastic
> methods of birth control are readily available. There isn't a doctor in
> the country who would 'snip' a young man who had not already reproduced.

Well it does happen in this country.

In France the operation itself is illegal.

===
= DUG.
===

coondawg

Oct 28, 2002, 11:55:52 AM10/28/02

"Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

what about a man's right to choose?

but seriously, bruce seems to be slightly suicidal but rational enough not
to want to bring a baby into the equation. someone else's kid sure, but not
his own. . .

and i'm sure a wayne could get it done, heck lesslie might do it or alfred.
"master bruce, put this bag of frozen peas on the effecte area, and no crime
fighting for 48 hours. . . ."

Brenda W. Clough

Oct 28, 2002, 11:57:03 AM10/28/02
BHMarks wrote:

Alas, only anecdotal. Doctors hate to do something permanent that has
no health benefit. Something like sterilization, they cover their asses
against lawsuits -- make you sign papers that say you know what you're
doing, have thought this over, and so on, even if you're the father of a
thriving family. For someone like Bruce Wayne -- mucho money for
lawyers, a youngish man who has not married or reproduced yet, no
medical reason for the op -- any doctor of sense would step back and say
either no outright or "Why don't you ask some other practitioner?" If
he was stubborn about it Wayne could find some quack somewhere to do the
job. But why would he do such a thing?

Tenzel Kim

Oct 28, 2002, 12:35:15 PM10/28/02
Brenda W. Clough wrote:

> Something like sterilization, they cover their asses
> against lawsuits -- make you sign papers that say you know what you're
> doing, have thought this over, and so on, even if you're the father of a
> thriving family. For someone like Bruce Wayne -- mucho money for
> lawyers, a youngish man who has not married or reproduced yet, no
> medical reason for the op -- any doctor of sense would step back and say
> either no outright or "Why don't you ask some other practitioner?"

If Wayne signed all the neccesary papers and offered a huge bunch of
money I'd be surprised if any doctor wouldn't gladly do it. If he signed
all the right papers I don't see how the lawyers can put any blame on
the doctor as Wayne as the head of a major company like WayneCorp should
be able to read and understand such documents.

Tenz.

Jay and Diane Rudin

Oct 29, 2002, 9:24:33 AM10/29/02
Bill Bickel wrote:

> But they're also taught that money can make almost any problem go away.

At age eight, Bruce Wayne was taught that money *cannot* make any problem go
away.

Jay Rudin

Paul Andinach

Oct 29, 2002, 9:55:08 AM10/29/02
On 28 Oct 2002, "Richard B. Becker"
<richard...@mindspring.com> wrote in

> I can see Robin's reaction now:
>
> "Holy unsafe sex, Batman! Did you forget to use your
> Bat-condom?"

Perhaps it's simply a case of "hol(e)y Bat-condom"...

Paul
--
The Pink Pedanther

Dwight Williams

Oct 29, 2002, 10:41:29 AM10/29/02

If there's one thing we're absolutely agreed upon, it's that one fact.

--
Dwight Williams - Orleans(Ottawa), ON, Canada
Personal Homesite: http://www.ncf.ca/~ad696/

the question

Oct 29, 2002, 11:35:30 PM10/29/02

eitgher that, or as a joke, Robin poked holes in them
--
Jon
-----

COLIERRANND2

Oct 30, 2002, 2:38:46 AM10/30/02
>Bill Bickel wrote:
>
>> But they're also taught that money can make almost any problem go away.
>
>At age eight, Bruce Wayne was taught that money *cannot* make any problem go

Very, very well said.

Col

Read Captain Marvel and Power Company. You won't regret it in the least.

Ken

Oct 30, 2002, 7:16:33 AM10/30/02

"Brenda W. Clough" <clo...@erols.com> wrote in message

OBVIOUSLY Selina took advantage of Bruce with her feminine wiles.

-- Ken from Chicago

P.S. Plus her metastrength and metaspeed.

Prestorjon

Nov 2, 2002, 10:41:18 PM11/2/02
<<Well, even though you can take a precaution which is 100% sure>>

The only birth control method I'm aware of that's 100% effective is abstinence.
As far as I know all of the mechanical and chemical methods of birth control
are officially 99% effective.

-----------------
He had been our Destroyer, the doer of things
We dreamed of doing but could not bring ourselves to do,
The fears of years, like a biting whip,
Had cut deep bloody grooves
Across our backs.
-Etheridge Knight

Prestorjon

Nov 2, 2002, 10:43:56 PM11/2/02
<<Well it does happen in this country.

In France the operation itself is illegal.>>

Why would elective sterilization be illegal?

the question

Nov 4, 2002, 1:09:09 AM11/4/02
Prestorjon wrote:

> <<Well it does happen in this country.
>
> In France the operation itself is illegal.>>
>
> Why would elective sterilization be illegal?

ecause it violates religious precepts that sex should be about recreation
and not pleasure?

BHMarks

Nov 4, 2002, 2:45:57 AM11/4/02
>From: the question ques...@spin.net.au

>> Why would elective sterilization be illegal?
>
>ecause it violates religious precepts that sex should be about recreation
>and not pleasur

I think you mean "reproduction," not "recreation."

But still - in *France*?!?

As ever,
Bennet

JS

Nov 4, 2002, 2:57:02 PM11/4/02
"Brenda W. Clough" <clo...@erols.com> wrote in message news:<3DBCACFC...@erols.com>...

> There isn't a doctor in
> the country who would 'snip' a young man who had not already reproduced.

Bull. I'm walking proof. Went to one of the better teaching
hospitals in the midwest, too. They asked me if I had kids, I said
no. They said, "You know this is pretty much irreversible." And I
said, "Good. Now if you could just overcome the 2% failure rate." So
they said, "See you Monday. Wear loose clothes, 'cause we'll be
packing a lot of cotton in your shorts to keep pressure on the
stitches."

And the 2% failure rate can be detected if you wait 6 weeks,
abstaining from sex during that time, and then get a sperm count done.
If you have no sperm at that point, then the liklihood of the vas
deferens healing themselves and rejoining is incredibly remote. Plus,
this procedure both severed and cauterized the vas deferens *and*
clipped the ends off with little teeny tiny clips. Most places either
do one or the other.

> The operation is difficult to reverse

Reversing is one thing. Being able to use your own sperm to reproduce
is something else. The reason vasectomies work is that immature sperm
don't travel down the vas deferens where they finish maturing before
being ejaculated. Studies have shown that it is possible to get some
of the immature sperm and use them. There are some possible problems
though, so it isn't 100%.

BW probably has some sperm frozen somewhere, just in case.

Reed Richards

Nov 4, 2002, 4:58:32 PM11/4/02
"Bill Bickel" <bill...@optonline.com> wrote in message news:<lSWu9.8136$mt....@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> Can anybody imagine Batman having sex without taking every possible
> contraceptive precaution?

I actually expected you to say Batman fleeing Gotham due to the
actions of the Joker.

Last month, I attended a convention that was choc-a-bloc full of
writers, artists and creators. One such person is Mark Waid. I found
we were on the same page on a lot of stuff, including Birds of Prey.

Mark, in kinder terms, said the show is a pile of shit. And he
was appalled to hear the premiere got the highest ratings of any
previous one on the WB.

I could not agree with him more.

the question

Nov 4, 2002, 10:51:03 PM11/4/02
BHMarks wrote:

> >From: the question ques...@spin.net.au
>
> >> Why would elective sterilization be illegal?
> >
> >ecause it violates religious precepts that sex should be about recreation
> >and not pleasur
>
> I think you mean "reproduction," not "recreation."

Indeed

> But still - in *France*?!?

They're just very religious about their sex?

solthepaul

Nov 4, 2002, 11:16:48 PM11/4/02
"Brenda W. Clough" <clo...@erols.com> wrote in message news:<3DBD6C5F...@erols.com>...

> BHMarks wrote:
>
> >>From: "Brenda W. Clough" clo...@erols.com
> >>

> >>There isn't a doctor in
> >>the country who would 'snip' a young man who had not already reproduced.
> >>

> >Citation?
> >

> Alas, only anecdotal. Doctors hate to do something permanent that has
> no health benefit. Something like sterilization, they cover their asses
> against lawsuits -- make you sign papers that say you know what you're
> doing, have thought this over, and so on, even if you're the father of a
> thriving family.

Sorry,Brenda,but you are wrong. I speak from experience.

Sol

solthepaul

Nov 4, 2002, 11:19:33 PM11/4/02
"Brenda W. Clough" <clo...@erols.com> wrote in message news:<3DBD6C5F...@erols.com>...

> BHMarks wrote:
>
> >>From: "Brenda W. Clough" clo...@erols.com
> >>

> >>There isn't a doctor in
> >>the country who would 'snip' a young man who had not already reproduced.
> >>

> >Citation?
> >

> Alas, only anecdotal. Doctors hate to do something permanent that has
> no health benefit. Something like sterilization, they cover their asses
> against lawsuits -- make you sign papers that say you know what you're
> doing, have thought this over, and so on, even if you're the father of a
> thriving family.

Sorry,Brenda,but you are wrong. I speak from experience.

Sol

solthepaul

Nov 4, 2002, 11:20:28 PM11/4/02
"Brenda W. Clough" <clo...@erols.com> wrote in message news:<3DBD6C5F...@erols.com>...

> BHMarks wrote:
>
> >>From: "Brenda W. Clough" clo...@erols.com
> >>

> >>There isn't a doctor in
> >>the country who would 'snip' a young man who had not already reproduced.
> >>

> >Citation?
> >

> Alas, only anecdotal. Doctors hate to do something permanent that has
> no health benefit. Something like sterilization, they cover their asses
> against lawsuits -- make you sign papers that say you know what you're
> doing, have thought this over, and so on, even if you're the father of a
> thriving family.

Sorry,Brenda,but you are wrong. I speak from experience.

Sol

Patrick Thompson

Nov 4, 2002, 11:47:25 PM11/4/02
"Prestorjon" <prest...@aol.com> wrote in message

> <<Well, even though you can take a precaution which is 100% sure>>
>
> The only birth control method I'm aware of that's 100% effective is
abstinence.
> As far as I know all of the mechanical and chemical methods of birth
control
> are officially 99% effective.

There's always wide disagreement on the success rates of various methods,
partly because some studies track success under optimal conditions while
others track success when the methods are used by the wider public.
Condoms, for instance, can have a success rate in the 90-s if perfectly used
(with a secondary spermicidal lubricant, especially) but it is incredible
how badly people can screw up condom use, driving the effectiveness in some
communities to somewhere in the 30% range (i.e. that couples who profess to
regularly use condoms are only about 30% less likely to cause a pregancy or
transmit a disease than those who state they use no protection). For
instance: I know kids who think that using two condoms at once will make for
even safer sex, when in reality two condoms are worse than one--the two
layers tend to rub against each other, increasing the likelyhood of
breakage. The tricky thing is, when you use actual practice numbers,
abstinence is not 100% effective.

I have friends who have gotten STDs without having penetrational sex, for
instance, because of bodily fluids left on the external genital area.
People can also become pregnant via outercourse or some method of
cross-contamination with sperm-carrying fluid. The rates are of course
lower than among people who do have penetrational sex, but they are
non-negligible. Among kids today, abstinence is often very narrowly defined
(I know one guy who decided it meant he shouldn't go down on his dates, but
that it was alright for them to perform oral sex on him, at which point I
think I threw something at him).

Of course, one would assume Batman, being the detail-oriented guy he is,
would be aware of these low-probability ways of fathering a child and would
have taken appropriate precautions, but there is always the possibility that
he might have been very young, that his judgement was somehow impaired, or
that Selina pulled a Mist and purposely got pregnant without his consent.