The 52 Earths

1 view

Michael

Jun 5, 2007, 7:55:00 PM6/5/07
In all this discussion of the 52 Earths, does no one care about
Earth-Impact!?

Cathy Lee Crosby might've gotten an Earth, why not Impact!?

Michael

Duggy

Jun 5, 2007, 8:05:33 PM6/5/07

Earth Impact is owned by Company Archie.

Cathy Lee Crosby had an Earth during Infinite Crisis, but I doubt
she's got one in the 52verse.

I've said it time and time again, but the one Earth I'd like to see is
Earth-Vertigo so that the ex-DC Vertigo stuff has it's own sandbox.

===
= DUG.
===

SirDeuce

Jun 5, 2007, 11:30:32 PM6/5/07

How about Tangent? Someone still likes them, as they keep popping up.
So you think they got THEIR own earth? I'd just like an 80 page giant
or something to finish up their last story..

YKW '06

Jun 6, 2007, 12:03:28 AM6/6/07
On 05 Jun 2007, SirDeuce <robby...@gmail.com> re-ordered random
electrons to communicate as follows:

> On Jun 5, 8:05 pm, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
>> On Jun 6, 9:55 am, Michael <thissp...@for.rent> wrote:
>>
>> > In all this discussion of the 52 Earths, does no one care about
>> > Earth-Impact!?
>> > Cathy Lee Crosby might've gotten an Earth, why not Impact!?
>>
>> Earth Impact is owned by Company Archie.

The IMPACT! characters and fundamental concepts are owned by Archie; the
IMPACT! plotlines, stories and art are owned by DC. Neither can continue
those stories without the other's permission.

(Milestone's Dakota Universe may be in similar straits.)

>> Cathy Lee Crosby had an Earth during Infinite Crisis, but I doubt
>> she's got one in the 52verse.
>>
>> I've said it time and time again, but the one Earth I'd like to see is
>> Earth-Vertigo so that the ex-DC Vertigo stuff has it's own sandbox.

How much Vertigo stuff really impacts on the DCU, though? SWAMP THING,
CONSTANTINE, SANDMAN and SMT? =Maybe= small parts of DOOM PATROL and
ANIMAL MAN? Is a separate universe really necessary for those few books,
when the impact of their stories is so easily contained by a single
universe (even when the actual content of those stories, as such, can't
necessarily be addressed directly)?

I mean, despite Karen Berger's legendary wall of seperation between the
two, SMT is generally acknowleged as canon where Wes Dodds, et al, are
concerned, SANDMAN has had immense impact on the JSAers, John Constantine
still pops up in mainstream-DCU magic-related books with regularity,
while Animal Man has co-headlined two series in the past year-plus. What
would be gained by unmooring those characters at this late date?

>> ===
>> = DUG.
>> ===
>
> How about Tangent? Someone still likes them, as they keep popping up.
> So you think they got THEIR own earth? I'd just like an 80 page giant
> or something to finish up their last story..

Several Tangent characters made their way into the ION maxiseries, so I'd
say there's a good chance something much like their original world exists
post-52.

--
------------------- ------------------------------------------------
|| E-mail: ykw2006 ||"The mystery of government is not how Washington||

John Duncan Yoyo

Jun 6, 2007, 9:23:41 AM6/6/07

One of the DC podcasts had Didio asking who he should trade for in the
Vertigo universe. They gave up the title Deadman without the
character- I prefer the Boston Brand of those beans.

Yeah there needs to be a corner of the DCU where a toned down version
of the overlap characters exist.
--
John Duncan Yoyo
------------------------------o)

Michael

Jun 6, 2007, 11:41:38 AM6/6/07
YKW '06 wrote:
> On 05 Jun 2007, SirDeuce <robby...@gmail.com> re-ordered random
> electrons to communicate as follows:

>>>Earth Impact is owned by Company Archie.
>

> The IMPACT! characters and fundamental concepts are owned by Archie; the
> IMPACT! plotlines, stories and art are owned by DC. Neither can continue
> those stories without the other's permission.
>
> (Milestone's Dakota Universe may be in similar straits.)

Didn't Milestone have some sort of creator-owned thing?

As for the Impact! Universe, JHC! you'd think DC'd know better after the
whole Peter Cannon Thunderbolt mess!

Michael

Chenry

Jun 6, 2007, 1:57:13 PM6/6/07
On Jun 6, 12:03 am, "YKW '06" <ykwBLOCKER2...@gmail.BLOCKER.com>
wrote:
> On 05 Jun 2007, SirDeuce <robbyjus...@gmail.com> re-ordered random

The various Vertigo titles wouldn't make sense on the same earth
anyway. 'Y: The Last Man' pretty much takes care of that. Besides,
Vertigo the imprint I think is a great model for creating stories that
don't necessarily have to fit into a 'universe' and pick and choose
from continuity when convenient, sort of like Golden Age comics.

> > How about Tangent? Someone still likes them, as they keep popping up.
> > So you think they got THEIR own earth? I'd just like an 80 page giant
> > or something to finish up their last story..
>
> Several Tangent characters made their way into the ION maxiseries, so I'd
> say there's a good chance something much like their original world exists
> post-52.

I think that was always the intention as the Tangent Green Lantern,
uh, lantern popped up on New Earth in Infinite Crisis.

sgtbilko

Jun 6, 2007, 6:11:50 PM6/6/07

"Michael" <this...@for.rent> wrote in message
Which numbers would the Marvel earths? It'd be great if they got involved in
the whole 52 earths thing.

Duggy

Jun 6, 2007, 8:15:12 PM6/6/07
On Jun 6, 1:30 pm, SirDeuce <robbyjus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've said it time and time again, but the one Earth I'd like to see is
> > Earth-Vertigo so that the ex-DC Vertigo stuff has it's own sandbox.
> How about Tangent? Someone still likes them, as they keep popping up.
> So you think they got THEIR own earth? I'd just like an 80 page giant
> or something to finish up their last story..

I can see, from a DC point of view how they may value the idea of a
Tangent Earth.

I'd say it's one of the pre-picked Earths.

But as I've said, unless there is an interesting story to be told
about the interact between New Earth and another Earth, then don't add
it to the list.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Jun 6, 2007, 8:19:01 PM6/6/07
On Jun 7, 3:57 am, Chenry <chenry....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 6, 12:03 am, "YKW '06" <ykwBLOCKER2...@gmail.BLOCKER.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On 05 Jun 2007, SirDeuce <robbyjus...@gmail.com> re-ordered random
> > electrons to communicate as follows:
>

> The various Vertigo titles wouldn't make sense on the same earth

> anyway. 'Y: The Last Man' pretty much takes care of that.

"Y: The Last Man" isn't ex-DC Vertigo stuff. It's original Vertigo
stuff.

There's Vertigo stuff that came from the DCU, or expanded from stuff
that came from the DCU, then there's stuff that is its own little
world.

I was very specific about which I was talking about.

> Besides,
> Vertigo the imprint I think is a great model for creating stories that
> don't necessarily have to fit into a 'universe' and pick and choose
> from continuity when convenient, sort of like Golden Age comics.

Really?

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Jun 6, 2007, 8:20:32 PM6/6/07
On Jun 7, 8:11 am, "sgtbilko" <sgt_ernie_bi...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Which numbers would the Marvel earths? It'd be great if they got involved in
> the whole 52 earths thing.

616, clearly. Wait, that's bigger than 52. Ah, 6+1+6? 13? No,
that'd be cooler for some Haunted Earth or the Vertigo Earth.

===
= DUG.
===

Message has been deleted

Duggy

Jun 6, 2007, 8:28:43 PM6/6/07
On Jun 6, 2:03 pm, "YKW '06" <ykwBLOCKER2...@gmail.BLOCKER.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 5, 8:05 pm,Duggy<Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> >> I've said it time and time again, but the one Earth I'd like to see is
> >> Earth-Vertigo so that the ex-DC Vertigo stuff has it's own sandbox.
> How much Vertigo stuff really impacts on the DCU, though? SWAMP THING,
> CONSTANTINE, SANDMAN and SMT? =Maybe= small parts of DOOM PATROL and
> ANIMAL MAN? Is a separate universe really necessary for those few books,
> when the impact of their stories is so easily contained by a single
> universe (even when the actual content of those stories, as such, can't
> necessarily be addressed directly)?

Because I think the DCU-Vertigo stuff is limited by its connection to
the DCU.

> I mean, despite Karen Berger's legendary wall of seperation between the
> two,

Which this would make official.

> SMT is generally acknowleged as canon where Wes Dodds, et al, are
> concerned, SANDMAN has had immense impact on the JSAers, John Constantine
> still pops up in mainstream-DCU magic-related books with regularity,
> while Animal Man has co-headlined two series in the past year-plus. What
> would be gained by unmooring those characters at this late date?

I would seperate out the DCU version of Wes Dodds, Dream, Constantine,
Deadman et al from the Vertigo versions.

New Earth has the JSA. Earth-2 has the JSA.

Why can't everyone on New Earth exist on Vertigo Earth and visa-versa?

It means that lite versions of DCU-Vertigo characters can appear on
New Earth and not have to influence Vertigo stories.

It may also mean that someone will think, what is the Vertigo Batman
like?

Because I really think the Vertigo Batman would be an interesting
character to experience.

===
= DUG.
===

Mike Blake

Jun 6, 2007, 10:07:34 PM6/6/07
Duggy wrote:
> I would seperate out the DCU version of Wes Dodds, Dream,
> Constantine, Deadman et al from the Vertigo versions.
>
> New Earth has the JSA. Earth-2 has the JSA.
>
> Why can't everyone on New Earth exist on Vertigo Earth
> and vice-versa?

> It means that lite versions of DCU-Vertigo characters can
> appear on New Earth and not have to influence Vertigo
> stories.
>
> It may also mean that someone will think, what is the
> Vertigo Batman like?
>
> Because I really think the Vertigo Batman would be an
> interesting character to experience.

Brilliant idea; excellent post.

I can also imagine a Vertigo Superman adventure may be
something we've already seen from Alan Moore, like
(especially) "The Jungle Line" and "Whatever Happened
to the Man of Tomorrow?" (I don't see anything
excessively Vertigo-ish in "For the Man Who Has
Everything).

--Mike Blake

Duggy

Jun 6, 2007, 11:18:07 PM6/6/07
On Jun 7, 12:07 pm, Mike Blake <M...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Brilliant idea; excellent post.

Hmmm. You must have read it wrong.

> I can also imagine a Vertigo Superman adventure

See, I was thinking, "The Vertigo Earth would pretty much have to
ignore or down play Superman," and then you posted.

> may be something we've already seen from Alan Moore,

Well, if it's Alan Moore...

> like (especially) "The Jungle Line"

That's a given.

> and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"

I can see that.

> (I don't see anything excessively Vertigo-ish in "For the Man Who Has
> Everything).

I don't know. I mean, certainly, not directly, but I think that both
Vertigo and FtMWHE have roots in 70s horror comics.

If someone was to re-write it in a Vertigo frame of mind, I think it
could work.

You've openned my eyes up to potential I didn't think existed.

Duggy

Jun 6, 2007, 11:19:43 PM6/6/07
On Jun 7, 1:41 am, Michael <thissp...@for.rent> wrote:
> Didn't Milestone have some sort of creator-owned thing?

> As for the Impact! Universe, JHC! you'd think DC'd know better after the
> whole Peter Cannon Thunderbolt mess!

Which is why I always saw Sovereign Seven as a bad idea.

===
= DUG.
===

Chenry

Jun 7, 2007, 10:42:24 AM6/7/07

ah sorry, I missed that.

> > Besides,
> > Vertigo the imprint I think is a great model for creating stories that
> > don't necessarily have to fit into a 'universe' and pick and choose
> > from continuity when convenient, sort of like Golden Age comics.
>
> Really?

Absolutely. For me, continuity is best when done one of two ways 1)
strict adherence with really incredible editorial oversight or 2) just
tell good stories working from a set of facts (Superman comes from
Krypton, works at the Daily Planet, etc.) and just about everything
else is fair game.

Beyond that, I don't think I'd be interested in reading about an
entire Vertigo DC-ish universe. When Vertigo titles do break the
imprint wall, like Sandman and Swamp Thing, part of what makes those
stories work for me is the occasional nature of having the weird
intrude on the mainstream. It highlights the discomfort of the heroes
when it only happens once in a while.

Tony

Jun 7, 2007, 2:11:59 PM6/7/07

--Wow, I thought I was the only one who remembered the Impact-verse.
I miss the Comet.

Tony

Tony

Jun 7, 2007, 2:14:28 PM6/7/07
On Jun 5, 11:03?pm, "YKW '06" <ykwBLOCKER2...@gmail.BLOCKER.com>
wrote:
> On 05 Jun 2007, SirDeuce <robbyjus...@gmail.com> re-ordered random

> electrons to communicate as follows:

> >> Earth Impact is owned by Company Archie.
>
> The IMPACT! characters and fundamental concepts are owned by Archie; the
> IMPACT! plotlines, stories and art are owned by DC. Neither can continue
> those stories without the other's permission.

--and it's likely to stay that way as there's little outcry for more
IMPACT! stuff.

> (Milestone's Dakota Universe may be in similar straits.)

--who owns what wrt: Milestone?

--which might not be a bad idea.
Personally I like the idea of the multiverse not having exact copies
of our 616, er New Earth heroes. The Tangent characters exemplify
that perfectly.

Tony

Tony

Jun 7, 2007, 2:16:18 PM6/7/07
On Jun 6, 5:11?pm, "sgtbilko" <sgt_ernie_bi...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> "Michael" <thissp...@for.rent> wrote in message

--not likely to happen as Marvel (even aside from the obvious reasons)
has well over a hundred alternate Earths (most of which are listed in
last years OHOTMUDE: Alternate Universe issue).

Tony

Tony

Jun 7, 2007, 2:21:07 PM6/7/07
On Jun 6, 10:18?pm, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 12:07 pm, Mike Blake <M...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Brilliant idea; excellent post.
>
> Hmmm. You must have read it wrong.
>
> > I can also imagine a Vertigo Superman adventure
>
> See, I was thinking, "The Vertigo Earth would pretty much have to
> ignore or down play Superman," and then you posted.

--would it though?
I'm not really a Vertigo guy (though I enjoy Y The Last Man and
Fables), but doesn't the line represent a more adult, mature approach
to comics? Why *couldn't* Superman work (well I guess that would be
theoretical, as DC isn't likely to publish anything about Superman
that is too drastic a departure from his traditional characterization,
as evidenced by all the Elseworlds versions of the character, which
usually stay fairly true to who Supes is)?

> > may be something we've already seen from Alan Moore,
>
> Well, if it's Alan Moore...
>
> > like (especially) "The Jungle Line"
>
> That's a given.
>
> > and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"
>
> I can see that.
>
> > (I don't see anything excessively Vertigo-ish in "For the Man Who Has
> > Everything).
>
> I don't know. I mean, certainly, not directly, but I think that both
> Vertigo and FtMWHE have roots in 70s horror comics.

--oh definitely.

> If someone was to re-write it in a Vertigo frame of mind, I think it
> could work.
>
> You've openned my eyes up to potential I didn't think existed.

--Imagine what someone could do if given carte blanche on a Vertigo
version of Wonder Woman? Given how enjoyable the mythological aspects
of Fables are, I can easily see a WW book having immense potential.

Tony

CleV

Jun 7, 2007, 3:37:58 PM6/7/07
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 20:19:43 -0700, Duggy <Paul....@jcu.edu.au>
wrote:

Hmmm ... 3 more universes + the Watchmenverse (because miracles can
happen) we can expect to be folded in after the NEXT Final Crisis in
20 years! :-)

Lilith

Jun 7, 2007, 7:40:42 PM6/7/07

Or would that be "The unplanned for Crisis"?

--
Lilith

Duggy

Jun 7, 2007, 7:47:14 PM6/7/07
On Jun 8, 4:21 am, Tony <TonyJ1...@aol.com> wrote:

> On Jun 6, 10:18?pm,Duggy<Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> > On Jun 7, 12:07 pm, Mike Blake <M...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I can also imagine a Vertigo Superman adventure
> > See, I was thinking, "The Vertigo Earth would pretty much have to
> > ignore or down play Superman," and then you posted.
> --would it though?
> I'm not really a Vertigo guy (though I enjoy Y The Last Man and
> Fables), but doesn't the line represent a more adult, mature approach
> to comics? Why *couldn't* Superman work (well I guess that would be
> theoretical, as DC isn't likely to publish anything about Superman
> that is too drastic a departure from his traditional characterization,
> as evidenced by all the Elseworlds versions of the character, which
> usually stay fairly true to who Supes is)?

Well, that's the thing, I couldn't see an adult approach, while
staying true to the character without going somewhere bad... however,
it turns out I was under thinking it.

> > > (I don't see anything excessively Vertigo-ish in "For the Man Who Has
> > > Everything).
> > I don't know. I mean, certainly, not directly, but I think that both
> > Vertigo and FtMWHE have roots in 70s horror comics.
> --oh definitely.

Cool, I was hoping I wasn't just seeing things.

> --Imagine what someone could do if given carte blanche on a Vertigo
> version of Wonder Woman? Given how enjoyable the mythological aspects
> of Fables are, I can easily see a WW book having immense potential.

Wow. How about: Titans of Myth a comic about Donna Troy.

===
= DUG.
===

masonReloaded

Jun 8, 2007, 2:54:36 PM6/8/07
On Jun 7, 7:47 pm, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:

> Well, that's the thing, I couldn't see an adult approach, while
> staying true to the character without going somewhere bad... however,
> it turns out I was under thinking it.

I think you could stay true to the character of Superman, while
placing him in a more f**ked-up world - Superman taking on more
sinister/horrific threats and being placed "out of his element"
somewhat, while taking a more cerebral, psychological look at how this
man, an outsider with the power of a god, copes with his role as
mankinds "saviour"

Aaron *Brother Head* Moss

Jun 10, 2007, 12:09:49 PM6/10/07

"Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

Isn't the All Star Batman the Vertigo Batman?

Rev. Aaron *Brother Head* Moss
http://brotherhead.com

Daibhid Ceanaideach

Jun 10, 2007, 1:38:05 PM6/10/07
The time: 10 Jun 2007. The place:
rec.arts.comics.dc.universe. The speaker: "Aaron
*Brother Head* Moss" <thebr...@brotherhead.com>

> "Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

>> It may also mean that someone will think, what is the

>> Vertigo Batman like?
>>
>> Because I really think the Vertigo Batman would be an
>> interesting character to experience.

> Isn't the All Star Batman the Vertigo Batman?

Don't think so; Vertigo (at least the traditional
Sandman/Swamp Thing Vertigoverse) is *clever*...

--
Dave
Official Absentee of EU Skiffeysoc

Duggy

Jun 10, 2007, 7:27:51 PM6/10/07
On Jun 11, 2:09 am, "Aaron *Brother Head* Moss"

<thebrot...@brotherhead.com> wrote:
> Isn't the All Star Batman the Vertigo Batman?

No, it's the Awesome Comics Batman.

===
= DUG.
===

Chenry

Jun 12, 2007, 10:58:31 AM6/12/07

Or you could read Miracle Man :P

Tony

Jun 12, 2007, 2:13:28 PM6/12/07

--that's if you can *find* Miracleman.
I know I've never come across any back issues, nor do I know anyone
who owns any.

Tony

Michael S. Schiffer

Jun 12, 2007, 3:00:44 PM6/12/07
Tony <Tony...@aol.com> wrote in

> On Jun 12, 9:58?am, Chenry <chenry....@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Or you could read Miracle Man :P

> --that's if you can *find* Miracleman.
> I know I've never come across any back issues, nor do I know
> anyone who owns any.

As it happens, I ran across a few (no Moores, just Gaiman's Silver
Age issues and the Apocrypha) this past Saturday at a used book sale.
(For those in the Chicago area, it was the Little City book sale at
Old Orchard Mall, the attempted successor to the venerable Brandeis
sale that ended last year.) The sale is primarily used books, but
there were a few boxes of comics priced at 50 cents apiece (mostly
late 80s through the present). Since I already had those issues, I
passed them on to a friend who didn't.

Other than that, I didn't notice anything Earth-shattering; I got a
few issues of the Ostrander Suicide Squad, Kesel Superboy, and the
Secret Origins issue featuring Rex the Wonder Dog and Ambush Bug.
(It's still going on through this weekend, if anyone wants to see if
I missed a mint copy of Action #1 or something. :-) )

Mike

Edward McArdle

Jun 12, 2007, 11:05:13 PM6/12/07
In article <1181672008.1...@r19g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Tony <Tony...@aol.com> wrote:

That could be because we are keeping them!

--
my URL,
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~mcardle