JLA Movie: You Knew It Would Suck But This Badly?

badth...@yahoo.com

Sep 28, 2007, 3:12:28 PM9/28/07
Entertainment Weekly reports that the plot of the JLA movie
is...Maxwell Lord and OMACs. Yes, one of the worst storylines EVER
is the foundation for this idiotic movie being rushed together for no
other compelling reason than to beat a potential strike and fill a
hole in Warner Brother's summer schedule of '09. Not to mention they
they're alienating Batman Begins director, Christopher Nolan, who
hates the idea for obvious reasons (Christan Bale will not be
Batman). Byran Singer doesn't mind, but why should he? This might
make Superman Returns look better by comparison. Brandon Routh is
willing to play Superman here and why not? He needs the work. The
suits at WB have obviously concluded it's better to throw all your
characters in at once and then do spin-offs than do one character at a
time. Yeah, unless this tanks and you damage all your characters in
one fell swoop!

Now I've loved Jessica Biel's body since her "pool walk" back in
Summer Catch, but she ain't Wonder Woman either and will join Jessica
Alba on the "hot but miscast Jessicas" list if this goes through (but
if you told me she was going to be Black Canary, I might get behind
that).

All in all, this looks to be one of the most ill-advised productions
since the aborted Superman vs Batman movie.

Ah well. We still have the animated productions and New Frontier
looks good in the supplementals on Superman: Doomsday.

George Peatty

Sep 28, 2007, 3:16:59 PM9/28/07
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:12:28 -0700, badth...@yahoo.com wrote:

>Entertainment Weekly reports that the plot of the JLA movie
>is...Maxwell Lord and OMACs. Yes, one of the worst storylines EVER

As philosopher, wit, and pundit Yogi Berra might observe, it ain't over till
it's over. Till then the plot of any proposed JLA movie is subject to
revision any number of times. I gotta agree though: this is scraping the
bottom of the barrel, and does not bode well.

Denny Colt

Sep 28, 2007, 3:46:26 PM9/28/07
What *would* make a good plot for this movie? Starro? Despero? Amazo?
Prometheus? The SSoV?

I think what this has going for it at least is that it can be largely
self-contained with disposable antagonists that are more "real world":
an ambitious human villain and high-tech weapons that can be seen as
an anology of intrusive "Orwellian" technology run amok. While I don't
think the whole OMAC storyline was quite the blockbuster that DC
wanted it to be, it could work better in this format.

It's too bad they didn't go for something closer to the Cadmus
storyline from the JLU cartoon. Outfit the clones in more X-Men style
black leather riot gear, throw "The Wall" in there and you've got a
movie!

But I agree that this whole project smacks of desperation. It's really
too bad. Is till think it would work better as an all CG animated
feature.

Len-L

Sep 28, 2007, 3:59:38 PM9/28/07
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:46:26 -0700, Denny Colt <phdu...@mindspring.com>
opined:

>What *would* make a good plot for this movie? Starro? Despero? Amazo?
>Prometheus? The SSoV?

The White Martian story. (I'd really like a Crime Syndicate story for
the Fanboy in me, but I know that's too difficult)

Len-L

Denny Colt

Sep 28, 2007, 4:24:32 PM9/28/07
On Sep 28, 3:59 pm, Len-L <len...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:46:26 -0700, Denny Colt <phdun...@mindspring.com>

> opined:
>
> >What *would* make a good plot for this movie? Starro? Despero? Amazo?
> >Prometheus? The SSoV?
>
> The White Martian story. (I'd really like a Crime Syndicate story for
> the Fanboy in me, but I know that's too difficult)
>
> Len-L

That might be good for a follow-up. Once you've established the
characters and their world. Better not to mix Superhero movie and
Alien Invasion in the first outing. Seems a little jumping-the-shark-y

Fallen

Sep 28, 2007, 4:28:30 PM9/28/07
badth...@yahoo.com wrote:

So now we're going to have The Batman begins universe, The Superman
Returns universe, the Justice league universe, the Smallville universe,
the The Batman universe and the universe that includes random animated
films which also seems to ignore the Diniverse.

Good to see DC keeping a tight control of their creations.

Fallen.

swintronix

Sep 28, 2007, 7:15:17 PM9/28/07

"Denny Colt" <phdu...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> What *would* make a good plot for this movie? Starro? Despero? Amazo?
> Prometheus? The SSoV?

Starro might be decent. But I think some version of the Cadmus arc from JLU
would work. Or would that be too X-Men... JLA trying to save the world
while the goverment tries to put them in check.

Magnus, Robot Fighter

Sep 28, 2007, 8:42:23 PM9/28/07

Are you the Fallen of Earth-1, Earth-2 or the Fallen from Earth
Captain Carrot?

Denny Colt

Sep 28, 2007, 9:54:06 PM9/28/07
On Sep 28, 4:28 pm, Fallen <fal...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

The preferred nomenclature is "Timmverse."

> Good to see DC keeping a tight control of their creations.
>
> Fallen.

And don't forget "Superman and the Legion of Superheroes" universe!

Denny Colt

Sep 28, 2007, 10:17:46 PM9/28/07
On Sep 28, 7:15 pm, "swintronix" <swinne...@sbcglobaldot.net> wrote:
> "Denny Colt" <phdun...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

a) I was being ridiculously facetious about Starro.

and b) I already mentioned the JLU Cadmus storyline, but thanks for
chiming in. (Sorry, I hate when people don't read the whole thread
before responding to a post.)

But you're right, it would be pretty similar to X-2 and 3 (although so
would the OMAC thing). I guess the difference would be that the JLA is
accepted by the public and regarded as heroes and saviors, while the
mutants were regarded with suspicion and fear. Plus instead of
soldiers with darts the Gov't would be using either robot-infected
humans, or superpowered clones. That'd be different.

Edward McArdle

Sep 28, 2007, 11:50:45 PM9/28/07
In article <plkqf3ta7c3sk59ob...@4ax.com>,
George Peatty <peattyg...@copper.net> wrote:

But one thing to remember is that comics work well when they are way
over the top - films don't. Films have to have a grounding in reality.

--
my URL,
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~mcardle

swintronix

Sep 29, 2007, 4:01:36 AM9/29/07

> On Sep 28, 7:15 pm, "swintronix" <swinne...@sbcglobaldot.net> wrote:
>> "Denny Colt" <phdun...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> > What *would* make a good plot for this movie? Starro? Despero? Amazo?
>> > Prometheus? The SSoV?
>>
>> Starro might be decent. But I think some version of the Cadmus arc from
>> JLU
>> would work. Or would that be too X-Men... JLA trying to save the world
>> while the goverment tries to put them in check.
>
> a) I was being ridiculously facetious about Starro.

I wasn't.

> and b) I already mentioned the JLU Cadmus storyline, but thanks for
> chiming in. (Sorry, I hate when people don't read the whole thread
> before responding to a post.)

I read the whole post, and wasn't trying to steal your thunder, youth.
Don't start bullshit. This is a forum for fun discussions. Don't say
"sorry" when you're not.

SteveZim1017

Sep 29, 2007, 10:17:00 AM9/29/07
On Sep 28, 4:28 pm, Fallen <fal...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Fallen.- Hide quoted text -

I dont see why its a big deal that there are so many different
versions, they cater to different people and if one of the different
versions leads to another person reading the comics then all the
better. As long as they keep them all seperate from one another and
not try to fit them all into some group "multimedia multiverse" I say
let them all come, there are very few I havent enjoyed in some shape
or another.

Brenda Clough

Sep 29, 2007, 12:17:44 PM9/29/07

It is also worth remembering that we have the cart before the
horse. We think that the comics should drive the movie or TV.
The movie/TV people know better. It is far far more expensive
to make a movie or TV series than it is to produce a comic, and
the possible returns are orders of magnitude larger. To make
those big buckolas, they are given creative control, and they
are only marginally interested in the comic, past or future.

There are many sad examples of nonsense from a TV or movie
version completely swamping a decent comic book. It took years
and years, for Batman to recover from Adam West and Burt Ward.

Brenda

--
---------
Brenda W. Clough

Recent short fiction:
"A Mighty Fortress"
http://www.helixsf.com

Denny Colt

Sep 29, 2007, 4:36:42 PM9/29/07
On Sep 29, 12:17 pm, Brenda Clough <clo...@erols.com> wrote:

> There are many sad examples of nonsense from a TV or movie
> version completely swamping a decent comic book. It took years
> and years, for Batman to recover from Adam West and Burt Ward.

Yeah, the comics even CRIPPLED Barbara Gordon and STILL couldn't get
rid of her!

I kid, but you see my point. Sometimes other media add some valuable
input. (I know, there's dispute over who came up with Babs/Batgirl
first, but the show certainly spearheaded the popularity of the
character). A TON of Superman mythology came from the radio show
(kryptonite, Daily Planet, I think his ability to fly even). Some
people don't like the stuff adapted from the Donner films and
Smallville, but die-hard fans might have felt the same way when the
radio show introduced kryptonite, and look at the status it enjoys
today.

I think the Batcave came from Batman's radio show. Renee Montoya,
Harley Quinn from the animated series. Hey, before the Adam West show
did anybody know Alfred was British? (maybe.) And a lot of the recent
redesigns across the DCU have come from the Timmverse, including
Robin's spiffy new duds. So it's not deidedly bad to have people in
other disciplines interpreting the characters. Look at all the crap
comics writers and artists (and editors!) have done all by themselves.

Denny Colt

Sep 29, 2007, 4:40:42 PM9/29/07
On Sep 29, 4:01 am, "swintronix" <swinne...@sbcglobaldot.net> wrote:
> "Denny Colt" <phdun...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> > On Sep 28, 7:15 pm, "swintronix" <swinne...@sbcglobaldot.net> wrote:
> >> "Denny Colt" <phdun...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> >> Starro might be decent. But I think some version of the Cadmus arc from
> >> JLU
> >> would work. Or would that be too X-Men... JLA trying to save the world
> >> while the goverment tries to put them in check.
>
> > a) I was being ridiculously facetious about Starro.
>
> I wasn't.

I know. (shudder)

> > and b) I already mentioned the JLU Cadmus storyline, but thanks for
> > chiming in. (Sorry, I hate when people don't read the whole thread
> > before responding to a post.)
>
> I read the whole post, and wasn't trying to steal your thunder, youth.
> Don't start bullshit. This is a forum for fun discussions. Don't say
> "sorry" when you're not.

Don't say I'm not sorry when I am. But now I'm not 'cause you were a
jerk. So there. By the way, my hairline thanks you for the "youth"
comment.

> > But you're right, it would be pretty similar to X-2 and 3 (although so
> > would the OMAC thing). I guess the difference would be that the JLA is
> > accepted by the public and regarded as heroes and saviors, while the
> > mutants were regarded with suspicion and fear. Plus instead of
> > soldiers with darts the Gov't would be using either robot-infected
> > humans, or superpowered clones. That'd be different.

What no snarky remark here? You're not going to throw my compliment
back in my face like my apology? Sorry, didn't mean to start bullshit.

Seriously, can we have a little sense of humor, here?

Daibhid Ceanaideach

Sep 29, 2007, 4:50:08 PM9/29/07
'Twas on the 29 Sep 2007, that Edward McArdle
<mca...@ozemail.com.au> did say:

That's another reason the OMAC story is a bad idea. Quite
apart from being a bad story, it's a bad story about an army
of electric-blue cyborgs sweeping across the country and
wiping out superheroes. There's a reason the X-franchise only
used the Sentinels in a Danger Room scenario.

--
Dave
Official Absentee of EU Skiffeysoc

Denny Colt

Sep 29, 2007, 5:39:54 PM9/29/07
On Sep 29, 4:50 pm, Daibhid Ceanaideach <daibhidchened...@aol.com>
wrote:

> 'Twas on the 29 Sep 2007, that Edward McArdle
> <mcar...@ozemail.com.au> did say:
>

> > In article <plkqf3ta7c3sk59ob8aij1lem6306sd...@4ax.com>,
> > George Peatty <peattyg47-1...@copper.net> wrote:

> >> As philosopher, wit, and pundit Yogi Berra might observe,
> >> it ain't over till it's over. Till then the plot of any
> >> proposed JLA movie is subject to revision any number of
> >> times. I gotta agree though: this is scraping the bottom
> >> of the barrel, and does not bode well.
>
> > But one thing to remember is that comics work well when
> > they are way over the top - films don't. Films have to have
> > a grounding in reality.
>
> That's another reason the OMAC story is a bad idea. Quite
> apart from being a bad story, it's a bad story about an army
> of electric-blue cyborgs sweeping across the country and
> wiping out superheroes. There's a reason the X-franchise only
> used the Sentinels in a Danger Room scenario.

Yeah, but at least they're human-sized cyborgs, which are easy to take
than Giant-sized robots, which wouldn't have fit in the X-films. But
did work in Transformers. I think the main thing for this JLA movie is
to create a tone and set the rules early on. Like Burton's Batman and
Raimi's Spider-Man, it needs to establish that this is a hyper-real
world, not "our world just different." It needs style. Which George
Miller is capable of providing. Look at The Road Warrior. Look at
"Babe." He can establish an arch reality where superheroes, aliens and
robots can duke it out. I hope.

Brenda Clough

Sep 29, 2007, 9:24:45 PM9/29/07
Denny Colt wrote:
Hey, before the Adam West show
> did anybody know Alfred was British? (maybe.)

Yes, indeed. In the 50s his origin was revealed: Alfred left
the career of his forefathers, being a butler, to tread the
boards in British melodrama. (However, Alfred's origins and how
he started out with the Wayne family has been rebooted so often
since then that it is irrelevant.)

felonio...@aol.com

Sep 29, 2007, 9:51:46 PM9/29/07
On Sep 28, 12:12 pm, badthin...@yahoo.com wrote:

Fascinating. Please share with us how you were able to travel into the
future and see this movie.

Aaron *Brother Head* Moss

Sep 29, 2007, 11:37:25 PM9/29/07

> On Sep 29, 12:17 pm, Brenda Clough <clo...@erols.com> wrote:
>
> Hey, before the Adam West show
> did anybody know Alfred was British? (maybe.)

He's a butler... Of course he's british.

Rev. Aaron *Brother Head* Moss
http://brotherhead.com
*********************************
Check out my website for the Brother's
Forums and Blog.
*********************************
Sig is back because "YOU DEMANDED
IT!"
Well, not you, but I'm sure someone did...
*********************************

Aaron *Brother Head* Moss

Sep 29, 2007, 11:40:41 PM9/29/07
Tell me Badthingus... What does your crystal ball say I should have for
lunch tomorrow?

Rev. Aaron *Brother Head* Moss
http://brotherhead.com

**********

<badth...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Denny Colt

Sep 30, 2007, 1:47:16 PM9/30/07
On Sep 29, 11:40 pm, "Aaron *Brother Head* Moss"

<thebrot...@brotherhead.com> wrote:
> Tell me Badthingus... What does your crystal ball say I should have for
> lunch tomorrow?

Hey, come on, he's got some good points. There are some good things
going for it, namely George Miller, who I think has the potential to
be a Raimi-like stylist. But I worry that if it isn't a runaway smash
hit, it'll be viewed as a bomb and it'll taint the other character's
prospects in their solo efforts.

I did have an idea for Batman casting: Jon Hamm from Mad Men - classic
good looks with some brooding and acting chops. And he wouldn't be
viewed as any threat to the Bale franchise.
http://imdb.com/gallery/hh/0358316/iid_981049.jpg.html?seq=3

I also think Jeffrey Donovan from Burn Notice would make a fantastic
Hal Jordan for a solo picture (since he's not gonna be in JLA):
http://imdb.com/gallery/ss/0810788/Ss/0810788/NUP_104465_0383.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0810788

He's got that fighter pilot swagger and cockiness and fearlessness
down pat, but he can be humorous and self-effacing too.

Aaron *Brother Head* Moss

Sep 30, 2007, 4:40:53 PM9/30/07

> On Sep 29, 11:40 pm, "Aaron *Brother Head* Moss"
> <thebrot...@brotherhead.com> wrote:
>> Tell me Badthingus... What does your crystal ball say I should have for
>> lunch tomorrow?
>>

> Hey, come on, he's got some good points.

Good points or not, he's predicting that a movie is going to be terrible
even before they start filming it.

In fact, I don't think anything (Cast or plot or anything) is totally set in
stone, yet the great and mighty Badthingus KNOWS it's going to suck.

I'm going to point and ridicule those type of people everytime. That's what
I do. I'm also willing to give things a chance. But some people want
things to fail so they can say "See, I told you so."

People like that make my head heart.

>There are some good things
> going for it, namely George Miller, who I think has the potential to
> be a Raimi-like stylist. But I worry that if it isn't a runaway smash
> hit, it'll be viewed as a bomb and it'll taint the other character's
> prospects in their solo efforts.
>
> I did have an idea for Batman casting: Jon Hamm from Mad Men - classic
> good looks with some brooding and acting chops. And he wouldn't be
> viewed as any threat to the Bale franchise.
> http://imdb.com/gallery/hh/0358316/iid_981049.jpg.html?seq=3
>
> I also think Jeffrey Donovan from Burn Notice would make a fantastic
> Hal Jordan for a solo picture (since he's not gonna be in JLA):
> http://imdb.com/gallery/ss/0810788/Ss/0810788/NUP_104465_0383.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0810788
>
> He's got that fighter pilot swagger and cockiness and fearlessness
> down pat, but he can be humorous and self-effacing too.

I agree with both of your choices. I think they would be really good
choices.

Rev. Aaron *Brother Head* Moss
http://brotherhead.com

John Desmarais

Oct 1, 2007, 8:32:04 AM10/1/07
On Sep 28, 3:46 pm, Denny Colt <phdun...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> What *would* make a good plot for this movie? Starro? Despero? Amazo?
> Prometheus? The SSoV?

Well, if I were being asked to choose a story from the comics, I think
I'd pick Morrison's Hyperclan (white Martians) story from JLA 1-4.

JD

badth...@yahoo.com

Oct 1, 2007, 11:11:33 AM10/1/07
On Sep 30, 4:40 pm, "Aaron *Brother Head* Moss"
<thebrot...@brotherhead.com> wrote:
> "Denny Colt" <phdun...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> > On Sep 29, 11:40 pm, "Aaron *Brother Head* Moss"
> > <thebrot...@brotherhead.com> wrote:
> >> Tell me Badthingus... What does your crystal ball say I should have for
> >> lunch tomorrow?

High protein, lowfat, avoid turkey so you don't get sleepy afterwards.

> > Hey, come on, he's got some good points.
>
> Good points or not, he's predicting that a movie is going to be terrible
> even before they start filming it.

Me and everyone who knows a thing about filmmaking.

> In fact, I don't think anything (Cast or plot or anything) is totally set in
> stone, yet the great and mighty Badthingus KNOWS it's going to suck.
>
> I'm going to point and ridicule those type of people everytime. That's what
> I do. I'm also willing to give things a chance. But some people want
> things to fail so they can say "See, I told you so."
>
> People like that make my head heart.

Ridicule what exactly? Common sense? I'm pointing and ridiculing
this because it's dumb idea from the word "Go." That's what I do.

This WILL suck because it's being RUSHED into production to beat a
deadline, fill a gap in their summer programming and to try and
provide a springboard for other movies. The last thing on their minds
is to take their time and try and make a solid film. The key word in
case you didn't get it was RUSHED. This is always bad for movies,
much less one with a large cast and millions of special effects. And
then there's the fact it's conflicting with the Superman and Batman
movies something Christopher Nolan is not pleased about.

> >There are some good things
> > going for it, namely George Miller, who I think has the potential to
> > be a Raimi-like stylist. But I worry that if it isn't a runaway smash
> > hit, it'll be viewed as a bomb and it'll taint the other character's
> > prospects in their solo efforts.

I respect George Miller, but he's just a hired gun here. He's not
Rami trying to bring a vision to the screen. And while bad books
usually make good movies because you really can't make them worse, you
also can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and that sow's ear is
Maxwell Lord and OMAC. 50 years of stories to choose from and they
pick that crap.

And WHEN it tanks and ripped critically for being a big noisy mess it
WILL pretty much kill DC Comics movies because it's biggest characters
will then be in the crapper and I'm not so sure that's a bad thing any
more. I'd rather not see a Wonder Woman or Flash movie than see it
made on the level of Ghost Rider or Daredevil which this threatens to
become.

But odds are, this won't come to pass for the very reasons I mention.
Aside from it being RUSHED and someone like George Miller is more
likely to walk away than make a steaming turd (and without a director
it'll die like Superman vs. Batman died when Wolfgang Petersen left to
do Troy), someone's going to realize that it's not good to piss of
Christopher Nolan who helped them restart a franchise that made this
even possible. He's not going to work for you again if you fuck him
over this way.

> > I did have an idea for Batman casting: Jon Hamm from Mad Men - classic
> > good looks with some brooding and acting chops. And he wouldn't be
> > viewed as any threat to the Bale franchise.
> >http://imdb.com/gallery/hh/0358316/iid_981049.jpg.html?seq=3
>
> > I also think Jeffrey Donovan from Burn Notice would make a fantastic
> > Hal Jordan for a solo picture (since he's not gonna be in JLA):

> >http://imdb.com/gallery/ss/0810788/Ss/0810788/NUP_104465_0383.jpg?pat...

badth...@yahoo.com

Oct 1, 2007, 5:00:24 PM10/1/07
On Sep 28, 4:28 pm, Fallen <fal...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

You're assuming people are too stupid to differentiate between the TV
show and the movie. Between the movie and the ANIMATED SHOW!

badth...@yahoo.com

Oct 2, 2007, 9:41:47 AM10/2/07
On Sep 29, 4:01 am, "swintronix" <swinne...@sbcglobaldot.net> wrote:
> "Denny Colt" <phdun...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> > On Sep 28, 7:15 pm, "swintronix" <swinne...@sbcglobaldot.net> wrote:
> >> "Denny Colt" <phdun...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> >> Starro might be decent. But I think some version of the Cadmus arc from
> >> JLU
> >> would work. Or would that be too X-Men... JLA trying to save the world
> >> while the goverment tries to put them in check.
>
> > a) I was being ridiculously facetious about Starro.
>
> I wasn't.

I'm with you. If you take an "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" type of
vibe, Starro works and for the geek in me stays true to the real
origin of the JLA. But he can't be the only villain. He'd have to be
the tool of someone like Despero, because even as a body snatcher, a
starfish just ain't that impressive to be fighting Superman.

John

Oct 3, 2007, 7:41:06 PM10/3/07

> On Sep 29, 4:01 am, "swintronix" <swinne...@sbcglobaldot.net> wrote:
>> "Denny Colt" <phdun...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> > a) I was being ridiculously facetious about Starro.
>>
>> I wasn't.
>>
> I'm with you. If you take an "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" type of
> vibe, Starro works and for the geek in me stays true to the real
> origin of the JLA. But he can't be the only villain. He'd have to be
> the tool of someone like Despero, because even as a body snatcher, a
> starfish just ain't that impressive to be fighting Superman.

Oh, I think you could do something with starro. Make him more cthonic.
Giant tentacles can be scary.

John Duncan Yoyo

Oct 4, 2007, 1:50:37 AM10/4/07

Keep the Star fish off the faces until such time as it is really going
down hill fast. You could put it on a shoulder something like Londo's
keeper from B5. It could crawl out when ready. That could be really
spooky.
--
John Duncan Yoyo
------------------------------o)

John

Oct 4, 2007, 2:45:08 AM10/4/07

"John Duncan Yoyo" <john-dun...@cox.net> wrote in message

> On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:41:06 +1000, "John" <jo...@junk.com> wrote:
snip

>>> I'm with you. If you take an "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" type of
>>> vibe, Starro works and for the geek in me stays true to the real
>>> origin of the JLA. But he can't be the only villain. He'd have to be
>>> the tool of someone like Despero, because even as a body snatcher, a
>>> starfish just ain't that impressive to be fighting Superman.
>>
>>Oh, I think you could do something with starro. Make him more cthonic.
>>Giant tentacles can be scary.
>>
> Keep the Star fish off the faces until such time as it is really going
> down hill fast. You could put it on a shoulder something like Londo's
> keeper from B5. It could crawl out when ready. That could be really
> spooky.
> --

But definitely bring the starfish onto the faces eventually. That way you
can have them open up their central evil looking eye and be especially
creepy.

And superman gets taken over and goaded into using his heat vision... is
that lobster on the stove?

Denny Colt

Oct 4, 2007, 10:40:07 AM10/4/07
Jesus fucking Christ, I'm sorry I brought it up!!

Listen, kids, there's no way Starro is going to be in the JLA movie,
okay? And how in hell does using mind-controlling alien STARFISH make
the movie any better than the OMACs?? No one really cares about the
historical relevance, and it's not intrinsically a good idea. Even
Btuce Timm couldn't make it work that well.

"Superman! Use your incredible strength and speed and computer-
generated special effects to... kill a starfish... thing. Whee..."
Come on. At the very least fighting OMACs will *look* better. You
gotta put asses in the seats.

MG

Oct 4, 2007, 11:06:21 AM10/4/07

"Denny Colt" <phdu...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

I agree that Starro is most likely never going to be used.

But I disagree that OMACs will bring in more fans than Starro. Which
trailer would attract more attention? Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green
Lantern, etc. fighting some blue skinned android looking things or the
League fighting each other?

Michael S. Schiffer

Oct 4, 2007, 11:24:17 AM10/4/07
Denny Colt <phdu...@mindspring.com> wrote in

> "Superman! Use your incredible strength and speed and computer-
> generated special effects to... kill a starfish... thing.
> Whee..."

Right. Everyone[1] knows that it should be a giant mechanical
spider.

Mike

[1] For values of "everyone" that equal "Jon Peters".
<http://www.hollywoodlostandfound.net/events/ksmith.html>

--
Michael S. Schiffer, LHN, FCS
msch...@condor.depaul.edu

badth...@yahoo.com

Oct 4, 2007, 1:03:37 PM10/4/07
On Oct 4, 10:40 am, Denny Colt <phdun...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Jesus fucking Christ, I'm sorry I brought it up!!
>
> Listen, kids, there's no way Starro is going to be in the JLA movie,
> okay? And how in hell does using mind-controlling alien STARFISH make
>the movie any better than the OMACs??

There have been better Starro stories than that lousy OMAC story.

>No one really cares about the
> historical relevance,

Fanboys do and movie studios aren't kissing ass at San Diego because
they don't care what we like..

>and it's not intrinsically a good idea.

Why not? Subtle alien invasion.

>Even Btuce Timm couldn't make it work that well.

Bruce Timm never tried and remember, this is the same Bruce Timm who
also didn't want Dick Grayson in Batman Beyond universe. We needed a
Venom story, but not one to explain what happened to, perhaps, the
single most important person in Bruce Wayne's life? So Timm is far
from perfect.

> "Superman! Use your incredible strength and speed and computer-
> generated special effects to... kill a starfish... thing. Whee..."
> Come on. At the very least fighting OMACs will *look* better. You
> gotta put asses in the seats.

If that Starfish thing is on Superman, you put asses in the seats by
having the rest of the JLA trying to take him down. Sadly, hero vs.
hero sells better than anything else.

Denny Colt

Oct 4, 2007, 1:19:55 PM10/4/07
On Oct 4, 1:03 pm, badthin...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Oct 4, 10:40 am, Denny Colt <phdun...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > Jesus fucking Christ, I'm sorry I brought it up!!
>
> > Listen, kids, there's no way Starro is going to be in the JLA movie,
> > okay? And how in hell does using mind-controlling alien STARFISH make
> >the movie any better than the OMACs??
>
> There have been better Starro stories than that lousy OMAC story.

I guess I feel like Hollywood can make more out of nefarious
government operatives and cyborg armies than they could out of
unthreatening-looking starfish aliens

> >No one really cares about the
> > historical relevance,
>
> Fanboys do and movie studios aren't kissing ass at San Diego because
> they don't care what we like..

Which is why the X-Men movies had their blue and yellow comic book
costumes just like the fanboys demanded! Oh, wait...

> >and it's not intrinsically a good idea.
>
> Why not? Subtle alien invasion.

Yeah, like no one's seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers before. At
least no one saw the most recent version that just came out, because
the friggin thing bombed.

> >Even Btuce Timm couldn't make it work that well.
>
> Bruce Timm never tried

The Future JLU story from Batman Beyond. It was great until the
starfish showed up. Then it was bug-squashing stupidity. And how
disappointing that this future black-suited Superman, instead of
having some dark or mysterious motives, was just being mind-controlled
by a bug - and one who had him working surreptitiously instead of just
laying waste to large swaths of the superhero population. It didn't
really make sense.

and remember, this is the same Bruce Timm who
> also didn't want Dick Grayson in Batman Beyond universe. We needed a
> Venom story, but not one to explain what happened to, perhaps, the
> single most important person in Bruce Wayne's life? So Timm is far
> from perfect.

That's pretty nitpicky considering all the great work and innovative
character/story interpretations he's done over the years. While he may
not be perfect, I wouldn't put him *that* far from perfect.

> If that Starfish thing is on Superman, you put asses in the seats by
> having the rest of the JLA trying to take him down. Sadly, hero vs.
> hero sells better than anything else.

Okay, but Max Lord is also going to factor into this OMAC story - what
do you want to bet he mind controls Superman? There's your trailer
right there.

badth...@yahoo.com

Oct 4, 2007, 2:30:42 PM10/4/07
On Oct 4, 1:19 pm, Denny Colt <phdun...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Oct 4, 1:03 pm, badthin...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > On Oct 4, 10:40 am, Denny Colt <phdun...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > > Jesus fucking Christ, I'm sorry I brought it up!!
>
> > > Listen, kids, there's no way Starro is going to be in the JLA movie,
> > > okay? And how in hell does using mind-controlling alien STARFISH make
> > >the movie any better than the OMACs??
>
> > There have been better Starro stories than that lousy OMAC story.
>
> I guess I feel like Hollywood can make more out of nefarious
> government operatives and cyborg armies than they could out of
> unthreatening-looking starfish aliens

Well, they use evil government operatives and robot-people all the
time, so they are probably more comfortable with it.

> > >No one really cares about the
> > > historical relevance,
>
> > Fanboys do and movie studios aren't kissing ass at San Diego because
> > they don't care what we like..
>
> Which is why the X-Men movies had their blue and yellow comic book
> costumes just like the fanboys demanded! Oh, wait...

"Every studio in town except one is here trying to kiss your ass."
Kevin Smith on the Hollywood presence at ComicCon.

> > >and it's not intrinsically a good idea.
>
> > Why not? Subtle alien invasion.
>
> Yeah, like no one's seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers before. At
> least no one saw the most recent version that just came out, because
> the friggin thing bombed.

Yeah, and the reason they keep making alien invasion movies is because
of all the money they don't make.

> > >Even Btuce Timm couldn't make it work that well.
>
> > Bruce Timm never tried
>
> The Future JLU story from Batman Beyond. It was great until the
> starfish showed up. Then it was bug-squashing stupidity. And how
> disappointing that this future black-suited Superman, instead of
> having some dark or mysterious motives, was just being mind-controlled
> by a bug - and one who had him working surreptitiously instead of just
> laying waste to large swaths of the superhero population. It didn't
> really make sense.
>
> and remember, this is the same Bruce Timm who
>
> > also didn't want Dick Grayson in Batman Beyond universe. We needed a
> > Venom story, but not one to explain what happened to, perhaps, the
> > single most important person in Bruce Wayne's life? So Timm is far
> > from perfect.
>
> That's pretty nitpicky considering all the great work and innovative
> character/story interpretations he's done over the years. While he may
> not be perfect, I wouldn't put him *that* far from perfect.

Sorry, but not having Dick Grayson show up ever is more than just a
nitpick. It's a big gaping hole. It's like a future Superman series
with no discussion on whatever happened to Lois.

> > If that Starfish thing is on Superman, you put asses in the seats by
> > having the rest of the JLA trying to take him down. Sadly, hero vs.
> > hero sells better than anything else.
>
> Okay, but Max Lord is also going to factor into this OMAC story - what
> do you want to bet he mind controls Superman? There's your trailer
> right there.

A guy furrowing his brow vs. a big starfish wrapped around Superman's
head. The Starfish is creepier and looks better. And I said the
first time it couldn't be Starro alone. It should be Starro and
Despero.

Denny Colt

Oct 4, 2007, 2:51:16 PM10/4/07
On Oct 4, 2:30 pm, badthin...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Oct 4, 1:19 pm, Denny Colt <phdun...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> > > There have been better Starro stories than that lousy OMAC story.
>
> > I guess I feel like Hollywood can make more out of nefarious
> > government operatives and cyborg armies than they could out of
> > unthreatening-looking starfish aliens
>
> Well, they use evil government operatives and robot-people all the
> time, so they are probably more comfortable with it.

> > > Fanboys do and movie studios aren't kissing ass at San Diego because
> > > they don't care what we like..
>
> > Which is why the X-Men movies had their blue and yellow comic book
> > costumes just like the fanboys demanded! Oh, wait...
>
> "Every studio in town except one is here trying to kiss your ass."
> Kevin Smith on the Hollywood presence at ComicCon.

Probably the first and last time you will ever be on Kevin smith's
side, I'm guessing.

She dies. Sorry, dude.

Look, the simple fact of the matter was Bruce Wayne was 80 years old
and he was a supporting character to the teenager, because the network
told them to make the show more about the kid and not the dying old
man because otherwise they can't sell as many Froot Loops. I would
have loved to see Dick Grayson, too, and I'm sure they had an awesome
story planned, but they got their hands tied.

> > > If that Starfish thing is on Superman, you put asses in the seats by
> > > having the rest of the JLA trying to take him down. Sadly, hero vs.
> > > hero sells better than anything else.
>
> > Okay, but Max Lord is also going to factor into this OMAC story - what
> > do you want to bet he mind controls Superman? There's your trailer
> > right there.
>
> A guy furrowing his brow vs. a big starfish wrapped around Superman's
> head. The Starfish is creepier and looks better.

Yeah but the guy gets his fucking neck snapped by Wonder Woman. That's
boss.

And I said the
> first time it couldn't be Starro alone. It should be Starro and
> Despero.

Yeahhh, the pink guy with three eyes and a swordfish fin on his head!
I can see the movie posters now: "And you thought Ghost Rider was bad!
Just wait for... JLA!!"

badth...@yahoo.com

Oct 4, 2007, 4:03:15 PM10/4/07
Fine. Just tell me.

> Look, the simple fact of the matter was Bruce Wayne was 80 years old
> and he was a supporting character to the teenager, because the network
> told them to make the show more about the kid and not the dying old
> man because otherwise they can't sell as many Froot Loops. I would
> have loved to see Dick Grayson, too, and I'm sure they had an awesome
> story planned, but they got their hands tied.

I'm not so sure. In an interview about it, Timm just expressed
distain for having to deal with Dick Grayson. It came across more as
a choice on his part.

> > > Okay, but Max Lord is also going to factor into this OMAC story - what
> > > do you want to bet he mind controls Superman? There's your trailer
> > > right there.
>
> > A guy furrowing his brow vs. a big starfish wrapped around Superman's
> > head. The Starfish is creepier and looks better.
>
> Yeah but the guy gets his fucking neck snapped by Wonder Woman. That's
> boss.
>
> And I said the
>
> > first time it couldn't be Starro alone. It should be Starro and
> > Despero.
>
> Yeahhh, the pink guy with three eyes and a swordfish fin on his head!
> I can see the movie posters now: "And you thought Ghost Rider was bad!
> Just wait for... JLA!!"

Well, that I can't argue with.

Denny Colt

Oct 4, 2007, 4:53:40 PM10/4/07

Maybe he was still bitter about being forced to include him in the
original Animated Series. I know he didn't want to have Robin in that
series at all (regardless of who was under the tights) but I thought
they pulled it off really well, especially in Gotham Nights when they
brought in Barbara and Tim.

It's funny, the Sub Zero movie is really a Dick Grayson movie, too.
For someone who didn't like the character, he did give him his own
showcase. Although maybe the poor response to that movie left a bad
taste in Timm's mouth...

Message has been deleted

David Johnston

Oct 5, 2007, 12:11:56 AM10/5/07

I think the League should save fighting each other for the sequel.

Denny Colt

Oct 5, 2007, 10:43:00 AM10/5/07
On Oct 5, 12:11 am, David Johnston <da...@block.net> wrote:

> I think the League should save fighting each other for the sequel.

I agree. However, I just read in EW that the Max Lord brain control
thing is in play and apparently there are "epic battle scenes between
Superman and Batman, as well as Superman and Wonder Woman." Oh well.

badth...@yahoo.com

Oct 5, 2007, 11:19:20 AM10/5/07
Didn't know that, but that doesn't change his obligation to the
character. As a viewer it bothered me for the length of the show,
especially given Barbara Gordon was a supporting character and even
Tim turned up in the Joker movie.

> It's funny, the Sub Zero movie is really a Dick Grayson movie, too.
> For someone who didn't like the character, he did give him his own
> showcase. Although maybe the poor response to that movie left a bad
> taste in Timm's mouth...

Mr. Freeze represents the best of that show for me. You can show
excellence by following the arc of his stories from BTAS to Sub Zero
to BB.

Denny Colt

Oct 5, 2007, 12:48:27 PM10/5/07

The one episode in the Gotham Nights ("new look") series was pretty
lame, but it did set up the awesome Batman Beyond episode. Too bad
they didn't do more with him there.