The Similarrion, Episode 8: Crossing the Western Sea

JRR 'Jar-Jar' Tolkein

Nov 24, 2000, 6:25:31 PM11/24/00

It's been a while since Episode 7, so here's where we are:
the Elves have reached the Western Shores of Little-Earth,
but the Tailendi tarried behind while their lord Elway Tingle
hooked up with Melon the Laia. Moregoth is in the dungeon
of Madnos. You can recap the first seven installments on
my friend FotW's website at

http://www.geocities.com/jsolinas/FotW/index.html

-- Jar-Jar

====================================

Meanwhile the Valor had, in their great wisdom, devised a plan
for getting the Elves across the Sea. They sent to Beleriland Elmo,
the Lord of Waters, and by singing sea-shanties he awakened in
the Elder a love for the Sea and the desire to depart to the West.
Meanwhile Ollie built an enormous suspension bridge from Beleriland
to Amen. But before the Elder could cross it, the winds upon the
Western Sea started a harmonic vibration that tore it apart.

So Aromä went to Manlÿ upon the mountain to bid him send his
Eagles to carry the Elves across the great Sea. But Manlÿ said,
"Nay, for the distance is too great, the Elder too numerous, and
my Eagles too expensive in overtime."

Then Elmo, who by this time was weary of waiting for the other
Valor to arrive with transportation, decided to bear the Elves
to Amen himself. He went to an island in the Western Sea,
tore it from its foundation, and drew it all the way to the
coast of Beleriland. First the Vanguard, then the Knowmore
crossed over on to the island. Then Elmo drew the island
across the Sea all the way to Amen, and the Vanguard and
Knowmore passed into the bliss of Valtimore.

But the Tailendi had missed the boat, for they lived farther from
the shore and had not heard Elmo's summons to the island. And
lo, they moved to the shore, which the Vanguard and the Knowmore
had left, and in that place came to them Hossë, the Laia who was
Lord of the Western Sea that lay off the coast of Little-Earth.
And Hossë taught them much sea-lore and bawdy songs and choice
words such as is used by sailors. Thus the Tailendi came to love
greatly the Seashore, and built beaches and time-share condominiums
along the Western coast of Beleriland.

But finally Elmo came, dragging his island behind him, to bring
the Tailendi to Amen in accordance with the will of the Valor.
Although Hossë was grieved indeed, the Tailendi were willing
indeed to go, for they loved the Sea but had never actually been
in it. But some remained behind, buying the beachfront property
at knockdown prices from those who were leaving. Their lord was
Bírdan, so called because of the silly false beard he loved to wear.

And Elmo drew the island carrying the greater part of the Tailendi
across the Sea and into the Bay of Elfamar whence the Vanguard
and Knowmore had entered Amen. But before he could dock, Hossë
grabbed onto the island and pulled against him, wishing to bring the
Elder back to Little-Earth. But Elmo continued to pull, and they
strove thus for many days, until at last they agreed to leave the
island in the Bay of Elfamar. The Valor were little pleased at this
(indeed, they were rightly ticked off), but Elmo and Hossë rooted
the island to the floor of the sea. But since this island came from
the open sea, it did not fit well in the Bay, being much too high for
its shallow waters. So the island became the highest of all the
islands in Harda, and could be seen from very far off. For this
reason, it was called Tall Eressëa. And the Tailendi were content
to dwell upon this island, under the stars and within sight of Amen.

But in time the Tailendi wished to move to Amen and into the Light
of the Trees, for hard was it indeed to read by starlight. So Hossë
taught them to make ships, and sent them whales and dolphins to
draw the ships from Tall Eressëa to the shores of Elfamar. And they
dwelt upon the shores, so great was their love for the Sea. For the
Vanguard and the Knowmore had moved inland, into the Light, and
had built a city upon the hill Túnafish in the land of Elfamar. And
the Knowmore dwelt there, but the Vanguard moved further inland,
and dwelt on the mountain Tequila at the feet of Manlÿ. And the
Tailendi built a seaside amusement park, which they called Aqualand,
and charged admission to the other Elves to see the whales and the
dolphins.

[Next: the princes of the Knowmore]

Jim

Nov 26, 2000, 6:23:08 AM11/26/00

JRR 'Jar-Jar' Tolkein <jr...@6ftunder.co.uk> wrote in message

> It's been a while since Episode 7,

Yes I'd been meaning to ask when I could expect more for a while.

[snip]

Good stuff.

Jim D

Morgil

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00

Jim kirjoitti viestissä
<9k%T5.12409$vA4.2...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>...

Yes it is. But for some reason I´m little worried about the next episode.
;)

Morgil

Menelvagor

Nov 28, 2000, 9:03:24 PM11/28/00
In article <dTeU5.265$dy6....@read2.inet.fi>,

"Morgil" <rim...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >Good stuff.
>
> Yes it is. But for some reason I´m little worried about the next
episode.
> ;)
>
> Morgil

Where's the beef? IOW, Where's the actual episode?

--
Count Menelvagor the Slayer of Killerbytes, Editor of Sauron's Dairy,
and Lord High Enervator of the Empire of Psot, Tamer of Firestorm the

Balrog sum; Balrogani nihil alienum a me puto.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Menelvagor

Nov 29, 2000, 9:51:05 PM11/29/00
In article <901o59$so7$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Menelvagor <gol...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <dTeU5.265$dy6....@read2.inet.fi>,
> "Morgil" <rim...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >Good stuff.
> >
> > Yes it is. But for some reason I´m little worried about the next
> episode.
> > ;)
> >
> > Morgil
> >

> Where's the beef? IOW, Where's the actual episode?

This one must have been gobbled up by everyone's servers too, I
presume;-]