Arctic Animation & AnimEigo (re: Orange Road)

William Chow

Mar 5, 1992, 3:22:54 AM3/5/92

From: co...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (Conty)

> Poor William Chow...
> Indeed. Well, at least he still has the TV series...

> But to tell you the truth, I look forward to the day when his
> services are not needed. Wait, that didn't come out right... ^_^
> What I meant to say is that I look forward to the day where
> I can get any any of the good anime I can get from
> Mr. Chow in laserdisc, with subtitles, digital stereo,
> the whole nine yards. (This was not intended as a flame.

Relax no flame taken. As I see it, I really have to
congratulate them for their sense of profit making.
In a way, I don't think I would like a world where any
anime you wanted you could go to a store to buy. Then..
what would be the purpose of a fan club?
One of the key reasons why the fan clubs in Metro-Asian
areas is that one could could go and buy it at a store or a
comic shop whether it be legit or not.
Our aim is to continue to offer understandable Japanese
animation to our membership as well as to other anime fans
which you CAN'T GET otherwise. Again, if you could, why
bother join an animation club?

> Hmm. I wonder if there's any significance to the fact
> that all recent AnimEigo properties (BGC and spinoffs,
> VAMPIRE PRINCESS MIYU, KOR) were
> at one time or another offered by Artic Animation. :-O

Ahhhh, you are now seeing the light!! I do believe they
call it "Market Research" in the real world. And AnimEigo
is using us for free to do it for them. We have an
understanding that we wouldn't step on their toes when
it comes to things they license and we will continue to
do that. But you got to admit, when it comes to fans
with a formula for making bucks, it's AnimEigo.

From: jk...@jingoro.Eng.Sun.COM

> Exactly how popular was KOR in Japan? Did it have
> the following/poll rankings that other popular shows had?
> .... does Maison Ikkoku fall here too?)

One of the reasons I embarked on doing Orange Road and
Maison Ikkoku is that it hit an internal spot to me. I think
it has done the same with many others too. To answer her
question: Animedia Feb 1988. p.19+

Top Supporting Female:
1) Madoka 8402 votes
2) Seiko 2286 votes (City Hunter)
3) Kyoko 2229 votes (Maison Ikkoku)

Also from Animedia Feb 1988 p. 129

Top shows from 1987

1) Saint Seiya 7687 votes, 5) Orange Road 1684,
6) Maison Ikkoku 1505 votes.

From: wh...@musubi.pubnet.com (Wendell Hong)

> Poor William Chow...

> Yapri! Looks like AnimEigo just cut off one of William Chow's
> main claim to fame! But only the OAVs and movie. If you
> want to see the TV series subtitled you still have to get
> them from Chow. Though this too could be ending real soon.

You are right. The TV series is my "claim to fame". Maison
Ikkoku will be the next one on the list. And maybe the
TV series is in the works, who knows and who cares.
Seculation and paranonia and sympathy isn't going to do
anyone any good. Besides, 8 OAVS and a movie is really
a petty amount of time considering what else we have
accomplished. On average the OAVs took around 3 hours to
translated, about 2 to 3 hours to title and correct.
The movie took us 5 hours to translate and 8 hours to
title and correct. Well, they didn't get the Shonen Jump
Special which is still on my roster.

From: pat...@Veritas.COM (Patrick Lee)

> At least, he still has the episodes...
> True, but who knows how Animeigo and William want to work out
> the legalities of that situation. Although I personally feel
> its not bloddy likely for a private company like Animeigo to
> invest in a TV series for release on tape. I would *love* to
> see it, but that doesn't blind me to the fact that it would
> probably be unprofitable.

As for our agreement, I will remove the Movie and the 8 OAVs
off our list of distributable titles. Of course, I would have
to agree that the TV series would bomb if it was subtitled.
Only people who was able to see a string of episodes all at
once (or forced to watch it at club meetings) could one see
the many sides of Orange Road to hold their
interest. Otherwise, a passer-by (TV viewer) would just
call it boring and switch to another channel. Who knows,
maybe we will see Carl Macek do to the special
Hokuto-no-sense-aatatatata-destruction of a show.

Well, to re-iterate, I would like to congratulate AnimEigo
for getting the Orange Road OAVs and the Movie.

William Chow, cooridinator
Maison Ikkoku Project
2830 East 8th Avenue, Vancouver, BC
Canada, V5M1W9, ph: (604)254-1833

--
William Chow (wc...@questor.wimsey.bc.ca)
QUESTOR: Free Dial-in Public Access to Usenet Medical & Health News,

Ryan Mathews

Mar 6, 1992, 1:42:21 AM3/6/92

In a previous article, co...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (Conty) says:

>> Again, if you could, why bother join an animation club?
>

>You wouldn't. In the anime-rich enviroment of an anime fan's utopia, anime
>clubs would become a haven for those fans seeking the more esoteric and
>obscure anime, similar to the modern-day film clubs (if you wanted mainstream
>anime, you could go to your local video store). Of course, this means that
>most of the small "two-guys-with-VCRs" fan clubs would disappear.

Ick! Does that mean that rec.arts.anime would become filled with yucky,
common types? Maybe we should stop this AnimEigo thing before it gets
serious. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

---------- Ryan Mathews
--
Email: bn...@cleveland.freenet.edu DISCLAIMER: Any resemblence of this
Snailmail: 786 High Street article to rational thought is

Conty

Mar 5, 1992, 5:46:18 PM3/5/92
In article <Vgm6gB...@questor.wimsey.bc.ca>, wc...@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (William Chow) writes:

> In a way, I don't think I would like a world where any
> anime you wanted you could go to a store to buy. Then..
> what would be the purpose of a fan club?

See below.

> Our aim is to continue to offer understandable Japanese
> animation to our membership as well as to other anime fans
> which you CAN'T GET otherwise.

If that's the case, I doubt you'll EVER run out of stuff to subtitle. ^_^

> Again, if you could, why bother join an animation club?

You wouldn't. In the anime-rich enviroment of an anime fan's utopia, anime

clubs would become a haven for those fans seeking the more esoteric and
obscure anime, similar to the modern-day film clubs (if you wanted mainstream
anime, you could go to your local video store). Of course, this means that
most of the small "two-guys-with-VCRs" fan clubs would disappear.

--
E n r i q u e C o n t y
Man Without a Clue

Ken Primer

Mar 5, 1992, 5:06:38 PM3/5/92

RE: Animiego using AA as market research.
Well after the questionable choice of Madox, i sure hope so....
I hope that this market exposure will drive the prices down. The main
reason I like fan subs is because they are FREE!
:
--
Ken Primer
Email to: k...@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu

Albert Wong

Mar 6, 1992, 7:33:53 PM3/6/92
In article <34...@vtserf.cc.vt.edu> 7100P%NAVPGS...@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU (Jeff Siegel) writes:
>RE: Maddox-01 being a questionable choice for subbing...
>
>I thought Maddox was very good and all areas: character design, art,
>animation quality, story (from what I could get from the unsubbed
>version), and music (though I'm a bit fuzzy on this since the soundtrack
>wasn't a standout like BGC, CH, or KOR)). One of the anime I like
>to view repeatedly.

Madox-01 is one of the few anime videos that didn't have a BGM CD
produced. Some of the BGM was rather neat, and I've been looking for
a BGM CD ever since I saw Madox. Still looking...

| Albert Wong |
| alb...@netcom.com |
| "Welcome to the Jusenkyo Spa and Resort Hotel!" |

Robert J Woodhead

Mar 7, 1992, 4:10:57 AM3/7/92
7100P%NAVPGS...@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU (Jeff Siegel) writes:

>RE: Maddox-01 being a questionable choice for subbing...

>As for it's success sales-wise, Robert would be the one to say whether it
>was or not (Robert, you reading this?).

MADOX has done quite well, and as video stores have been discovering
Anime, its sales have been increasing of late.

As a matter of historical fact, for our first release, we had a choice
between MADOX-01 and PROJECT A-KO. On the one hand, A-KO is a great
fan favorite; on the other hand, MADOX would be more likely to attract
new people into fandom. It was a very close decision. If I knew then
what I know now, I would have smashed the piggybank and gotten both,
but that is 20/20 hindsight; at that time, AnimEigo was just this wierd
idea we were working on for the hell of it.

| Robert J. Woodhead, Biar Games / AnimEigo, Incs. tre...@foretune.co.jp |
| "9/13/99 : First nuclear explosion on the far side of the moon" |
| --- One of the many headlines in Gainax's "Otaku no Video 1985" |

Jeff Siegel

Mar 6, 1992, 2:44:29 PM3/6/92
to Japanese animedia and other animation news.
RE: Maddox-01 being a questionable choice for subbing...

I thought Maddox was very good and all areas: character design, art,

animation quality, story (from what I could get from the unsubbed
version), and music (though I'm a bit fuzzy on this since the soundtrack
wasn't a standout like BGC, CH, or KOR)). One of the anime I like
to view repeatedly.

As for it's success sales-wise, Robert would be the one to say whether it

was or not (Robert, you reading this?).

-- > Jeff Siegel

BITNET: 7100P@NAVPGS : 815-A Ocean View Blvd
INTERNET: 71...@CC.NPS.NAVY.MIL : Pacific Grove, CA 93950