Ranma's Timeslip (Part 8)

christian gadeken

Dec 10, 1992, 10:55:13 PM12/10/92

Ranma Nibunnoichi : Actor in the Mirror

Part 8

[Angle on the ledge above Jusenkyo]

Ranma:Ummm... um.

Akane:How would you react if another you appeared and started
ordering you around?

Ranma:Punch his face, probably... Ummm-

Ranma:[from a ledge about twenty feet higher up] I hope that's not a
promise.

[Ranma and Akane stare up at this new Ranma, who we recognize as
the one who's lived through the future the first one is trying to
create. The one above sighs, tucks the (unbroken) nanban mirror
behind his belt, and slides down to the lower ledge.]

Ranma(older, by about 3 months):If you do this, Akane won't be
able to return with you. She'll be trapped outside time, and
eventually she'll... die.

Akane:[staring, horrified] Ranma- [blinks as they both look at
her, then continues] are you serious?

Ranma(older):Oh, yes...

Ranma(younger):That's absurd... How could you travel okay if
she couldn't?!

Ranma(older):[tired] I don't know... Maybe because I changed
myself but not her... I *don't know*! Will you just trust me?
You don't want the future you'll create this way!

Ranma(younger):...No. I don't believe you. This is some sort of
trick, but I'm not falling for it! [Turns to jump down to the
road] I'll stop them right now!

Ranma(older):[grabbing his other self] What do you mean, a trick?
I'm telling you, *you don't want to do this*!

Ranma(younger):[shrugs the other off] Like hell!

Akane:Stop it, both of you!

Ranma(older):[giving her a sharp look] Stay out of-

Ranma(younger):[jumping in] KACHUU-

Ranma(older):[swinging back] HIRYUU-

Ranma:(younger):TENSHIN-

Ranma(older):SHOUTENHA!!!

[The force from the younger Ranma's hail of punches suddenly rebounds
on him in a tornado whirl that carries him off into the valley below.]

Ranma:Whew. [turns and contemplates Akane]

Akane:[shifting uncomfortably] What?

Ranma:[shakes his head] Just... thinking. [turns away] C'mon,
let's go collect me and go home. [slides down off the ledge]

Akane:[following] Do you think there'll be a problem with there
being two of you?

Ranma:I hope the mirror will take care of that when we travel;
if not I have no idea.

Akane:[disgusted] You really have no idea what you're doing, do
you?

Ranma:Listen, I've had a bad day, so lay off, okay?

Akane:Hah! I've been dragged through time, told I died, and
I'm about to be dragged through-

Ranma:Shut up, you obnoxious twit! You don't know what I
had to give up!

Akane:Why, you- [She launches herself in a flying kick at his
head. He ducks, and she flies over his head, and over his other
self, who's lying next to a pool. She lands in the pool with a splash.
Ranma hurries up.]

Ranma:Akane?

[A hand comes out of the water and grabs the rim of the pool. Ranma
gapes at what has emerged: A dark-haired young man, wearing a dress
and apron split at the seams, as though he was wearing it and
suddenly it was too small.]

Akane-kun:RANMA.....

Ranma:A- Akane...?

Akane-kun:I'll Kill You!!!! [lunges at Ranma]

[Ranma gets chased all over Jusenkyo; over pools, up cliffs,
and down poles. Suddenly, he gets an idea.]

Ranma:Okay, we came in from *that* side, so the poles should be...

[Ranma leaps onto a certain pole, then leads Akane-kun around until
he's on a specific other one.]

Akane-kun:Dieeee!

Ranma:[leaps to meet his attack] So I knocked Dad into *that* pool...
Ooops.

[Ranma knocks Akane into *that* pool. A moment later, a female panda
leaps out and lands on a nearby pole.]

Ranma:And Dad knocked me into *this* pool... [With a sacrifice fall,
he takes Akane-panda into *this* pool. A moment later, Ranma-chan
and Akane surface. Ranma-chan helps Akane to shore.]

Akane:[glaring].....

Ranma:C'mon, time to go home.

[They walk back over to the other Ranma. The one on his feet
takes out the mirror and an onion, and lets a tear fall.]

Ranma:Take us back, so none of this ever happened!

[The mirror flares and fades, taking them with it. A moment
later, Genma appears with yet another Ranma on the edge of
the valley...]

[Angle on the scene where Ranma and Akane left the first time.
As the light fades, we see them standing as though, indeed,
nothing happened.]

Ranma:[looking around] Whew... Only one of me.

Akane:...What was it like, besides...

Ranma:Um... I actually got along well with the other you...
Evidently I made all my mistakes with this version.

Akane:Hmmmph. You're still an idiot anyway...

Ranma:What!?

Akane:The man-drown-pool was right there, why didn't you just
take a dip before we left?

Ranma:Urk... [The mirror drops from his stunned fingers and is
caught by Happosai.]

Happosai:Thanks, Ranma! [dashes off]

Ranma:Huh? Hey wait, I need that a little longer! [dashes after
Happosai]

Happosai:Next time will cost you 10 photos! [laughs]

Ranma:Why, you-!

[Akane turns to go inside, then stops, eyes wide.]

Akane:Hey! He still hasn't apologized for stealing the onion!

[She dashes after Ranma and Happosai. For a while, after they
disappear, all is quiet, but then, in the distance, the sounds
of a growing "parade" can be heard...]

O W A R I

AUTHOR'S NOTE:As before, feel free to comment, complain, praise, etc.
I'm going to be out of town a month or so for Christmas break, so if
I don't reply right away, don't worry.

Tell me what you *really* think at : chr...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
--
C h r i s t i a n G a d e k e n

Yakumo: "But I really did destroy a monster in Hong Kong!
Saru : "Ahem, ahem"
Yakumo: "Saru, do you believe me?"
Saru : "Where's my Hong Kong souvenir?"