ANIMEIGO HAS RANMA?!?!

Jeff Yang

Mar 4, 1993, 4:49:19 AM3/4/93
Someone clue me on this one: the word I hear is that AnimEigo has gotten a
hold of Ranma 1/2 rights and will be releasing the TV series on a monthly
basis sometime soon...and, moreover, that they'll be releasing it UNDUBBED
AND UNSUBTITLED, in the original Japanese (of course)--at a cost of $25 a
tape.

Someone pinch me or hit me in the head with a hammer or something. Where
did this come from? Is this true? And if so, what's the deal with
releasing it without any kind of English translation?

I sense a problem here. As much as this is a boon to purists, they're a
relatively small percentage of anime fandom (no matter how loud they are
:-) ). Everyone who can't read Japanese will be sort of stuck. I predict
that if this is true, it CAN'T last. Reason: there are three types of
people out there who make up this market--

1) Anime Nonfans, who might well get hooked on Ranma (I know many who have);
they won't be at all interested in a non-English translated version.

2) Anime Newfans and Marginal Fans, who might buy the tapes, but who'll
also scrounge for scripts, synopses, anything to find out what's going
on--and who'll probably lose interest after a short while if these aren't
available. They'll demand subtitled versions from SOMEWHERE.

and

3) Anime Truefans, who'll buy the tapes, perhaps, but, since these are the
people who make the scripts and fansubs, might well be persuaded to do
translations of every tape that comes out, as it comes out. It's a short
leap of logic to see what'll happen: someone will take the tapes as they
become available, take the translations as THEY become available on the
net or elsewhere, and run 'em through a trusty genlock.

Hey presto. Subtitled Ranma. Remember that subbed versions of eps 1-11 are
already widely available, and consider that these will make up the first
few months of AnimEigo's release sked, again assuming my info is correct.

It's supply and demand, and AnimEigo will watch its market hit the skids
real fast, since there won't be exactly the same kind of pressure on
fansubbers to stop if the tapes being released aren't translated...one of
two things will happen: AnimEigo will start releasing dubbed verions, or
AnimEigo will stop releasing any kind of version--a cryin' shame.

This, of course, all assumes that ANY of this has more substance than wild
rumor...

Someone, please, make sense of this mad, mad, world...

Jeff

Jeff Yang

Mar 4, 1993, 4:43:42 PM3/4/93
from Conty:
It was a joke.

AAAAIGHH. I shoulda known.

Well, that saves me quite a lot of cash over the next few years. Maybe
I'll buy a house.

Jeff, lightly stunned.

Cloyce D. Spradling

Mar 4, 1993, 4:56:36 PM3/4/93
The Feddie Punk of Solomon writes:
>Come on, break it up...it ainm't April 1st yet. ^O^ Besides the anime
>"purist" type won't even deal with VHS...it's gotta be LD. ^O^

That's the truth! Those VHS tapes wear out too quickly.. (do I watch them too
much? Nah...)

Regarding Ranma (Heh! Another anime we'll never see...), I'm not holding my
breath or even hoping real hard.

To whoever started this (I read it this morning and forgot) -- don't do this
anymore...It's mean to raise people's hopes, and then dash them to the ground
(note: expected outcome). :-)

--
| Cloyce D. Spradling is: clo...@cs.utexas.edu | clo...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu |
| Everybody looks for things to make them go.. | What's the basic difference? |

The Prisoner

Mar 4, 1993, 10:23:53 PM3/4/93
YOu can't figure it out?

He Read teh JigokuFest '93 post Con report. Geez. :)

Notice the Prices and such are the SAME:
(The Same as he mentioned, I mean)
"AnimEGO" was another preview panel, and again the company was
touting
its new licenses. AnimEGO has the rights to ALL the episodes of Ranma
1/2
and would be releasing them one episode per tape per month for $25.00.
"It's a new format for us," said AnimEgo's representative. "We got
tired
of the fans telling us 'that sub is mistimed' or 'why does it say
"Madoka"
when Kyosuke says "Ayukawa"' so we decided to hell with it. This new
format will be called the 'Pure Anime' format. There are no subtitles
or
dubbing, which as you suspect saves us quite a bit of money."
--
See? :)

The Prisoner - pris...@shakala.com
Shakala BBS (ClanZen Radio Network) Sunnyvale, CA +1-408-734-2289

Chun-Li

Mar 5, 1993, 10:39:41 AM3/5/93
In article <1993Mar4.1...@netcom.com> alb...@netcom.com (The Feddie Punk of Solomon) writes:

>Come on, break it up...it ainm't April 1st yet. ^O^ Besides the anime
>"purist" type won't even deal with VHS...it's gotta be LD. ^O^

Hmmmmmm......I can see all those Otakus waiting in line for that Ranma
LD box....LD's=Black Hole!

I wonder what Mr. Woodhead has to say about this.....
I am sure he is laughing at this right as he reads it ^_-, eh?

--
Don't forget to smile!..Watch MST 3K...Always keep a sketchbook handy....