[NEWS] DBZ in the U.S.! *UPDATE!*

Matthew Sommer

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96

Well, here I am everyone, back from the brink to bring you the info on
the NEW Funimation plan to bring Dragon Ball Z to the american airwaves.
I got to see the promo video version of the first DBZ movie dubbed, as
well as look at the marketing brochure that they are sending to TV
stations in hopes to sell the show to the program buyers. Let's start
with this brochure--

First off, this thing is about 40 pages thick! They start off the first
10 or so pages showing charts and graphs, quotes telling how great a
succedd DBZ is/has been in other countries. They mention how it was
astronomically popular in Spain, especially. The sad thing is, this is
the exact same stuff they said when they were trying to sell original
DB! The thing they dont seem to realize is that DB/DBZ in these other
countries aired DAILY, for one thing, and that there was already a huge
fan base waiting for the show since the DB manga had been available in
translation beforehand. But i get the feeling that once again they think
they can just sit back and the show will be successful here in the US.
Nope. Aint gunna happen. Look at DB... they gave it NO support, SO
advertising, barely any merchandising support, had it on in syndication
in all sorts of weird time slots and they are suprised it didnt succeed!
Geezum crow. I get the feeling they think that DB was somehow just "not
good enough" for the american audience, and that DBZ, with it's non-stop
action will be more appealing. Granted,. i can understand this... but
like i already said before, DB/Z is SO COMPLICATED! Like starting to
read _War&Peace_ from page 300 and trying to understand whats going on.
I mean, it seems simple on the surface, but how do you explain who
piccolo is in relation to goku? why does he hate him? thats a good 15
minute explanation, and they are going to ignore it. and thats just ONE
character! DBZ is going to lose just about any depth it had if things
are glossed over this way.

and they producers even seem to realize this. Included in the booklet is
about 20 pages of character synopses, laying out their motivations and
history <<I quipped to my friend that i wondered if they were planning to
send one of these to every kid who watches the show...>>. In the center
is also some simple black and white line art that i think they took from
a DBZ coloring book-- its a group shot, and they list the names of
everyone in the picture... except they got FIVE OUT OF 8 OR 9 NAMES
*WRONG!* and this is FROM the studio!!! The picture came from about the
early "cell" era, and they called Vegeta "Goten" <?>, Trunks was listed
as "Android #18" <WHAT?!>, Yamcha was called "Gohan", Tenshinhan was
"tenshin" <not too bad>, Gohan was ALSO listed as "Goten". After i read
this, i just about lost all respect for this project right there. I mean
if THEY cant get it straight...manoman.

But anyway, me personally, knowing the background and all, would probably
watch the dubbed DBZ anyway... but i just dont see how they expect kids
to pick this stuff up. By osmosis? Especially if they are going to start
with DBZ, how lame is it going to be to have your main hero DEAD only a
few weeks after the show starts!? ^_^;; but anyway...

THE MOVIE ITSELF:
----------------

ok, first off, there was no opening or ending credits on this one... i
have never seen the original <<the only DBZ movie i havent seen before>>,
so I can't really comment on things like the credits anyway... though i'd
assume we got "head cha-la" in the original.

It starts off right away with Piccolo facing off against the mystery
thugs. Of course it sounds super weird when piccolo speaks in english
for the first time... and the one line or so he has isnt really enough to
critique. Then we see Kami-sama say piccolo is dead, and it can't be
true <<to which i said OF COURSE he cant be dead, cause YOU'RE still
alive KAMI! but what kid is going to know that fact? or the link between
piccolo and kami in general?? but i digress...>>

Switch to Gohan at home... his Voice Actor is unknown to me, although it
has shades of being the same person who voiced Goku in the original DB
dubs. The VA for Gyuumaou is the same as the original dubs, as is bulma
and kame-sennin. The new Goku is, yes, speaking like a normal adult.
Actually, i am pretty sure he is being voiced by the guy who did Yamcha
in the original DB dubs... the voice isnt TOO bad, but they have him
spouting corny phrases like "lets play hardball!" and "play times over
pal!" and other american fighter cliches. we also get to see Kuririn for
the first time! But sadly his name is pronounced Krill'n, which sounds
lame to me <<who is arguably the hugest K. fan around...>> his voice also
sounded kinda dorky.

Garlick Jr. has been renamed "Vendar" or something like it.. i guess they
thought calling a villain "garlick" wasnt scary enough... his three goons
have also been given goofy names <<like "Brawn" and "Razor"...>> The
villain's voice acting wasnt too bad, but who really carws, right? :) we
care about the heroes...to sum so far, Goku is "ok", but loses all sense
of his childishness. Piccolo also loses his detached arrogance, as he is
voiced by someone who sounds like the guy who does Peter Parker on the
Spider-Man cartoon. He still says things like he did, like how he's going
to kill goku, but it just doesnt sound "right". Kuririn- dorky. Gohan--
not too bad either. Oh... i forgot Kami. Kami is ok too.

speaking of kami, i was wondering what they were going to do with him.
They obviously wont call him "god", cause that would offend the religeous
zealots in the country. So they refer to him by name, Kami <<which they
pronounce like Kame>>.. and he says that he is "the protector of the
universe". Close enough of a compromise i guess. When kami talks to
Garlick, he seems to talk about WHY G. wants revenge... but it's kind of
glossed over here... what is the real reason? they just say that "his
father was powerhungry and got destroyed" or something generic like
that... i assumed there was more i wasnt getting.

we still have the same names for things from the original dub... like
"flying nimbus" for Kintoun and "power pole" for goku's noibo. We also
got the Kame Hame Ha here, including the deaths of the two thugs, and the
VA pronounced it more like it is SUPPOSED to be, and less like the
hawaiian king's name they USED to pronounce it as. Only time will tell
on that one i guess.

well, Gar... i mean Vendar summons up the "death zone vortex", and gohan
knocks him in, as we all know he does. As they fly home at the end, goku
engages in some un'goku-like thoughts "i'm the luckiest guy in the world
to have such a great kid!", and a narrator who sounds like optimus prime
tells us that there are many questions left! "will piccolo and goku have
it out?? will goku tell chichi that her son saved them all!? <<why is
that a big deal?>>" tune in next time.

well... i know most of you are going to be spewing venom at this... and i
agree to an extent... but asside from everything, it is about the same
quality level as the original dub, which i think is pretty decent
considering what COULD have been hacked. Yes, some of the
characterizations arent 100% correct, but i can live with that. My
biggets beef is STILL the simple fact that they are doing it in the first
place. DB is a very complex story, with rather intricate character
relationships, and skipping 140 DB episodes to get to DBZ is going to
leave a lot of kids out in the cold. Maybe it will cath on and kids wont
CARE. I don't know... I just think its a shame that because of
Funimations lack of advertising and promotion for original DB, we're all
going to be cheated out of a hel of a lot of great episodes. Not that\,
like i said before, it wont be fun for me to see DBZ, but... you just
cant start reading a book on chapter 17 and expect it to make sense.

good luck to you guys... i hope you promote the show better this time.

-matt-

who doesnt really care iuf it succeeds here or not since he can get the
originals if he wants.. but would find it cool to be able to get more
domestic toys and video games!!!!

ja na

WuKeN

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
In article <mateo.828928974@earth>, ma...@earth.execpc.com (Matthew
Sommer) wrote:

> Well, here I am everyone, back from the brink to bring you the info on
> the NEW Funimation plan to bring Dragon Ball Z to the american airwaves.
> I got to see the promo video version of the first DBZ movie dubbed, as
> well as look at the marketing brochure that they are sending to TV
> stations in hopes to sell the show to the program buyers. Let's start
> with this brochure--

*WuKeN puts on his brand-spanking new, DBZLF/DRA Anti-Dubbing helmet (tm),
takes cover behind a wall constructed of Dragon Ball posters and trading
cards, and prepares to hear the worst* :D

> First off, this thing is about 40 pages thick! They start off the first
> 10 or so pages showing charts and graphs, quotes telling how great a
> succedd DBZ is/has been in other countries.

Forty pages thick? Hmmm... Dragon Ball Z condensed into *only* forty
pages? This must be extremely small print. :D Anyways, continue...

> They mention how it was
> astronomically popular in Spain, especially. The sad thing is, this is
> the exact same stuff they said when they were trying to sell original
> DB! The thing they dont seem to realize is that DB/DBZ in these other
> countries aired DAILY, for one thing, and that there was already a huge
> fan base waiting for the show since the DB manga had been available in
> translation beforehand.

What I wouldn't give to have my Dragon Ball manga translated into
English... :D The original Jump comic volumes are more than enough for me
though, so I can live without having it translated into English. :D I'm
not sure if there is a huge underground following for Dragon Ball/Dragon
Ball Z in America, but, around here in Los Angeles, I do believe people
have heard about it to a fair extent. And I wouldn't mind seeing a dubbed
version of Dragon Ball Z aired *daily* (I can't believe I actually said
that), granted that the voices were on target (or close) and the editing
and changing of names/motivations/storyline/story elements/etc. were kept
to a *bare minimum*. I could live watching Dragon Ball Z on television if
(and only if) it was anything close to or better than the English-dubbed
episodes of Dragon Ball Z I viewed in the Philippines (which were
surprisingly good considering it was an amateur operation -- hardly
anything seemed to be edited and the voices were decent!). Otherwise it
would be simply a living nightmare for the ardent fans of Dragon Ball Z to
watch the butchering of the voices for their favorite characters as well
as perhaps the remixing of certain characteristics of the storyline.

> But i get the feeling that once again they think
> they can just sit back and the show will be successful here in the US.
> Nope. Aint gunna happen. Look at DB... they gave it NO support, SO
> advertising, barely any merchandising support, had it on in syndication
> in all sorts of weird time slots and they are suprised it didnt succeed!
> Geezum crow. I get the feeling they think that DB was somehow just "not
> good enough" for the american audience, and that DBZ, with it's non-stop
> action will be more appealing. Granted,. i can understand this... but
> like i already said before, DB/Z is SO COMPLICATED! Like starting to
> read _War&Peace_ from page 300 and trying to understand whats going on.
> I mean, it seems simple on the surface, but how do you explain who
> piccolo is in relation to goku? why does he hate him? thats a good 15
> minute explanation, and they are going to ignore it. and thats just ONE
> character! DBZ is going to lose just about any depth it had if things
> are glossed over this way.

I've said far too much on this subject already about how it's going to be
nigh impossible for a newcomer to Dragon Ball Z to understand what's going
on right away unless they do an in-depth review of Dragon Ball and what
happened in that series... but it doesn't even look like that's going to
happen as well. I can see rec.arts.anime filling up with Dragon Ball Z
posts at an exponential rate... oh boy. :P The thing I'm afraid of the
most is that if they aren't doing this, they might resort to changing some
of the character's motivations like they changed Oolong's fetish from
panties into money in the Dragon Ball dub... I hope that doesn't happen...
otherwise it would destroy the complex and integrated fabric that the
world of Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z is based upon.

> and they producers even seem to realize this. Included in the booklet is
> about 20 pages of character synopses, laying out their motivations and
> history <<I quipped to my friend that i wondered if they were planning to
> send one of these to every kid who watches the show...>>. In the center
> is also some simple black and white line art that i think they took from
> a DBZ coloring book-- its a group shot, and they list the names of
> everyone in the picture... except they got FIVE OUT OF 8 OR 9 NAMES
> *WRONG!* and this is FROM the studio!!! The picture came from about the
> early "cell" era, and they called Vegeta "Goten" <?>, Trunks was listed
> as "Android #18" <WHAT?!>, Yamcha was called "Gohan", Tenshinhan was
> "tenshin" <not too bad>, Gohan was ALSO listed as "Goten". After i read
> this, i just about lost all respect for this project right there. I mean
> if THEY cant get it straight...manoman.

NaNi!? Vegeta was listed as Son Goten!? Of all characters in Dragon Ball Z
they could have mistaken him with, they had to mistake him with Son
Goten!? I seriously don't think the Prince of the Saiyajins would be able
to stand being compared to a kawaii, half-Saiyajin child, much less one of
the children of his greatest rival. And how can they mistake Future Trunks
for Android #18!? Future Trunks wouldn't like being mistaken for an female
Android, even more so one of *the* Androids that killed his only friend
Son Gohan. *WuKeN fears they are going to make Android #17 a girl...ack!*
Yamcha being called Son Gohan is... understandable at best, since at the
end of the series both have the same hairstyle, but still. I can
*somewhat* live with Tenshinhan being called "Tenshin", but having Son
Gohan listed as Goten? Didn't they catch the obvious mistake with Vegeta?
Hmmm.... I wonder what they would refer to Cell as... wait, let me guess.
Mr. Satan, right? :P Sweet Gregory and Bubbles, this doesn't look good at
all...

> THE MOVIE ITSELF:
> ----------------

*WuKeN prepares himself to hear the butchering of his favorite Dragon Ball
Z movie*

> ok, first off, there was no opening or ending credits on this one... i
> have never seen the original <<the only DBZ movie i havent seen before>>,
> so I can't really comment on things like the credits anyway... though i'd
> assume we got "head cha-la" in the original.

To clarify things, yes, the original Dragon Ball Z Movie #1 did start off
with the now-classic opening credits and the theme song "Cha-La Head
Cha-La." No ending credits either? And that means no cute-sounding "Zenkai
Power?" Hmmm... Maybe I should be glad for that though. After hearing a
sample of the original Dragon Ball theme song in both the original
Japanese version as well as a synthesized, instrumental version of it, in
my opinion, the music in the American dub of Dragon Ball just doesn't
compare at all. "Dragon Ball.. Gotta find that Dragon Ba..." *clicks
television off* Eck. No thanks. :P And to top if off, I don't understand a
word of Japanese and I like the Japanese version better. Hmmm... :P

> It starts off right away with Piccolo facing off against the mystery
> thugs. Of course it sounds super weird when piccolo speaks in english
> for the first time... and the one line or so he has isnt really enough to
> critique. Then we see Kami-sama say piccolo is dead, and it can't be
> true <<to which i said OF COURSE he cant be dead, cause YOU'RE still
> alive KAMI! but what kid is going to know that fact? or the link between
> piccolo and kami in general?? but i digress...>>

Exactly. Any Dragon Ball Z fan would know that Kami-Sama wouldn't even
have a chance to say that Piccolo is dead... because he'd perish as well
-- the two are inexplicably connected! I don't like the trend I'm seeing
here... already I'm seeing slight deviations from the subject matter. No
one's going to have any idea what is happening... and no, you're not
disgressing... :P

> Switch to Gohan at home... his Voice Actor is unknown to me, although it
> has shades of being the same person who voiced Goku in the original DB
> dubs. The VA for Gyuumaou is the same as the original dubs, as is bulma
> and kame-sennin. The new Goku is, yes, speaking like a normal adult.
> Actually, i am pretty sure he is being voiced by the guy who did Yamcha
> in the original DB dubs... the voice isnt TOO bad, but they have him
> spouting corny phrases like "lets play hardball!" and "play times over
> pal!" and other american fighter cliches. we also get to see Kuririn for
> the first time! But sadly his name is pronounced Krill'n, which sounds
> lame to me <<who is arguably the hugest K. fan around...>> his voice also
> sounded kinda dorky.

Son Gohan's got somewhat of the same voice as the Dragon Ball dubs?
Hmmm... And Son Gokuh is speaking like a "normal adult?" Hmmm... I guess I
*could* start to live with Son Gokuh speaking like a normal adult; I got
used to his voice in the English dubs over in the Philippines quite
easily, but with phrases like "Let's play hardball!" and "Play times over
pal!" it's going to take a *lot* longer for me to get used to it. I'm
almost expecting him to turn and face the camera, throw up a "thumbs up"
sign, and say "And knowing is half the battle," or something like that. :P
Eck. But, I'll try and hold my judgement for the show when it is released.
:D I for one hope they don't make Son Gokuh star in an educational segment
at the end of each show... you know, like how they had at the end of
G.I.Joe? I just can't imagine Son Gokuh telling children that fighting
isn't the only way to solve problens... :P I'll have to see Klilyn's,
er... Krill'n's (reminds me of Krull) voice to make a final judgement call
on that...

> Garlick Jr. has been renamed "Vendar" or something like it.. i guess they
> thought calling a villain "garlick" wasnt scary enough... his three goons
> have also been given goofy names <<like "Brawn" and "Razor"...>>

Vendar!? Why Vendar? I, for one, thought the name Garlic Jr. fit the
character of that small light-blue imp very well. He's not supposed to
sound threatening or intimidating... look at him. He's a diminutive,
light-blue, impish-looking creature with green speckles on his head --
he's not supposed to be scary. And by renaming Garlic Jr. you also throw
off the pun with one of his minions (I'm not sure about the other two)
Ginger. Notice the allusions to seasonings and vegetables. That's what I
liked about Dragon Ball -- the hidden meanings behind some of the
character's names that aren't necessarily relevant to the story but add a
deeper meaning to the work. Now that is lost with the renaming of the
villains.

> The villain's voice acting wasnt too bad, but who really carws, right? :) we
> care about the heroes...

Actually, I do care about the villain's voice acting. If this is any
indication of what they plan to do in the Dragon Ball Z dubbing, then I'm
afraid of what Vegeta is going to sound like. And Freezer. He probably had
the best voice-casting in Dragon Ball Z, in my opinion. I'm afraid of how
his voice is going to sound like... but I wouldn't mind what voice they
attach to Broly, after all, he's really only got *one* line...
"Kakarotto!" :P Okay, so he says a bit more in Dragon Ball Z Movie #8 and
one line more in Dragon Ball Z Movie #10, but still... :D

> to sum so far, Goku is "ok", but loses all sense of his childishness.

That's not good, in my opinion. Son Gokuh is supposed to have a childish
voice to match his childish personality. He never grows up to be much of
an adult -- inside he's still a kid -- as far as I'm concerned.

> Piccolo also loses his detached arrogance, as he is
> voiced by someone who sounds like the guy who does Peter Parker on the
> Spider-Man cartoon. He still says things like he did, like how he's going
> to kill goku, but it just doesnt sound "right".

"Namek-Seijin sense tingling!" :P *Piccolo's antennae move rapidly back
and forth* :P

> speaking of kami, i was wondering what they were going to do with him.
> They obviously wont call him "god", cause that would offend the religeous
> zealots in the country.

You think that's going to stir up controversy? What about when they
discover that Piccolo is actually the Satan!? :P That should turn up a few
ears...

> So they refer to him by name, Kami <<which they
> pronounce like Kame>>.. and he says that he is "the protector of the
> universe". Close enough of a compromise i guess. When kami talks to
> Garlick, he seems to talk about WHY G. wants revenge... but it's kind of
> glossed over here... what is the real reason? they just say that "his
> father was powerhungry and got destroyed" or something generic like
> that... i assumed there was more i wasnt getting.

The real reason? It's not just that Garlic Jr. was powerhungry and got
destroyed -- it's a lot *more* than that. Let me try to explain. According
to the subtitled copy I have of Dragon Ball Z Movie #1, Kami-Sama was
competing for the throne of God with another creature, more notably,
Garlic. This isn't the Garlic Jr. you see in the movie -- it's his
*father*. The God knew of Garlic's ambitions and fiendish plans for the
throne, and he chose Kami-Sama over Garlic to ascend to the throne.
Kami-Sama purged himself of his evil side (which became Piccolo Daimoh,
but that's not relatively important to this subject right now -- it is in
Dragon Ball) to become God, and the previous "God" relinquished his throne
to Kami-Sama. Garlic was furious and became vengeful at not being given
the throne, and gathered all of the devils and demons to start a "holy"
war against Kami-Sama in an attempt to capture the throne. He was
vanquished by Kami-Sama and subsequently killed, but before dying, he said
that he would soon be resurrected. That's where Garlic Jr. comes into
play. He's the *reincarnated* Garlic. Does it make sense now why he
despises Kami-Sama so much? That's the basic premise of the underlying
hatred Garlic Jr. has for Kami-Sama -- I might have switched a few events
around here and there but that's the essence of it.

> we still have the same names for things from the original dub... like
> "flying nimbus" for Kintoun and "power pole" for goku's noibo. We also
> got the Kame Hame Ha here, including the deaths of the two thugs, and the
> VA pronounced it more like it is SUPPOSED to be, and less like the
> hawaiian king's name they USED to pronounce it as. Only time will tell
> on that one i guess.

Alright! Finally, no more "Ka-may-ha-may-ha"! :D Eck. I almost threw up
upon hearing that version in the Dragon Ball dubs.

> well, Gar... i mean Vendar summons up the "death zone vortex", and gohan
> knocks him in, as we all know he does. As they fly home at the end, goku
> engages in some un'goku-like thoughts "i'm the luckiest guy in the world
> to have such a great kid!", and a narrator who sounds like optimus prime
> tells us that there are many questions left! "will piccolo and goku have
> it out?? will goku tell chichi that her son saved them all!? <<why is
> that a big deal?>>" tune in next time.

Death Zone Vortex... Dead Zone... close enough. :P But... Son Gokuh
doesn't say that at the end of the subtitled version, at least, not in my
copy. He mentions something about wondering if he should tell ChiChi that
it was actually Son Gohan that saved him, then and ends up deciding that
he'll tell her about it someday -- it wasn't the narrator. There isn't a
narrator in the original version, as far as I know. I do have to agree
with you there... why the questions at the end? There isn't a sequel to
Dragon Ball Z Movie #1. Perhaps for the movies starring Broly and Cooler,
but for the first movie, no. Hee hee... Optimus Prime? Hmmm...
"Saiyajins... more than meets the eye..." Oh please...

*WuKeN expects hearing "The Touch" being played in the ending credits..
"You got the touch... you got the power... yeah!" Or perhaps hearing this
line in a future movie... "Matrix, er... senzu seed... light our darkest
hour!" Or worse... "Saiyajins... get angry and roll out!"* :P

> well... i know most of you are going to be spewing venom at this...

*WuKeN foams at the mouth* :P~~~

> and i agree to an extent... but asside from everything, it is about the same
> quality level as the original dub, which i think is pretty decent
> considering what COULD have been hacked. Yes, some of the
> characterizations arent 100% correct, but i can live with that.

I will eventually too, even with all the gripes I have about everything,
but it will take *me* eons since I've gotten used to living with a
high-pitched Son Gokuh, a Vegeta with an unkawaii sounding name, and an
arrogant-sounding Piccolo... :P

> My biggets beef is STILL the simple fact that they are doing it in the first
> place. DB is a very complex story, with rather intricate character
> relationships, and skipping 140 DB episodes to get to DBZ is going to
> leave a lot of kids out in the cold. Maybe it will cath on and kids wont
> CARE. I don't know... I just think its a shame that because of
> Funimations lack of advertising and promotion for original DB, we're all
> going to be cheated out of a hel of a lot of great episodes. Not that\,
> like i said before, it wont be fun for me to see DBZ, but... you just
> cant start reading a book on chapter 17 and expect it to make sense.

Exactly. I would love to see what the rest of Dragon Ball is like, but I
suppose I could live with just a printout of the Dragon Ball summaries
here on the Internet and the Jump comic volumes of the series. The other
thing I don't like about it is that the people being introduced to Dragon
Ball Z here in America are missing out on a lot more than Dragon Ball
episodes -- if what you say is true, then the new fans of Dragon Ball Z
are going to miss out on some great voices (although this is inevitable),
characterization, and background of the characters, and that's a shame.
It's like they are only getting half of the package.

But I'll hold (at least try to hold) my judgement until I see this for
myself... :P

> good luck to you guys... i hope you promote the show better this time.
>
> -matt-
>
> who doesnt really care iuf it succeeds here or not since he can get the
> originals if he wants.. but would find it cool to be able to get more
> domestic toys and video games!!!!

Same here, I would love to have some of the Dragon Ball RPGs brought over
here translated (hoping hoping hoping). I can get my Dragon Ball fix
through a lot of different sources, so I don't have to watch the dubs. I
just hope that the fansubs of Dragon Ball skyrocket in availability in
response to this move, which will make it better for us diehard fans of
the original. :D Say, if this doesn't turn out well and all of us start
hating the Dragon Ball Z dub with a passion, who wants to start our own
S.O.S. akin to the Save Our Sailor's campaign... you know... "Save Our
Saiyajins"? :P It's a thought... :P
WuKeN
1st Cadet of the Dragon Ball Z Liberation Front :P
mailto:sabe...@ucla.edu
http://www.dragonfire.net/~Wuken/
WuKeN's HoMePaGe AnD DrAgOn BaLl Z ImAgE GaLlErY!

willy

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
ma...@earth.execpc.com (Matthew Sommer) wrote:

where did you get the brochure and promo video? I would be very
interested in it.

Allan
wi...@netaxs.com
http://www.netaxs.com/~willy/index.html
Son Gohan's Page with over 130 dbz images,
DBZ and other Anime theme songs (over 30MB!)
Philadelphia Anime Sources and a 3D rendered
image of the UD Anime Club

Dr. Briefs

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
WuKeN wrote:
>What I wouldn't give to have my Dragon Ball manga translated into
>English... :D The original Jump comic volumes are more than enough for me
>though, so I can live without having it translated into English. :D I'm
>not sure if there is a huge underground following for Dragon Ball/Dragon
>Ball Z in America, but, around here in Los Angeles, I do believe people
>have heard about it to a fair extent.

L.A. is kind of a special case, since it probably has the highest Asian
population in the United States; it would be very difficult for a guy NOT to
know any Asians in the L.A. area, and many Asians ARE into anime/manga (okay,
not the older generation, but anyone around the age of Generation X), and
DB/DBZ being one of the most popular anime/manga series for the past decade
and a half (roughly), you do that math..

--
Glenn Wang <br...@ix.netcom.com>, #SAS# member--Real men appreciate Sasami.
Capsule Corporation Headquarters - http://www.netcom.com/~brief

Kenji

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
"Dr. Briefs" <br...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
<snip>

>L.A. is kind of a special case, since it probably has the highest Asian
>population in the United States; it would be very difficult for a guy NOT to
<snip>
bzzzt! How about Hawaii? (for density)