Animecon '93 date

Fafhrd

Jul 22, 1992, 4:44:22 AM7/22/92
Dear Greg,

The answer to what date to run Animecon '93 was always intended to be the
July 4th date. First, some history. John McL. founded Animecon '91 on the
Labor Day weekend 'cause it was the only viable date in '91; all of the
other dates had conventions on them in the Bay Area, or other groups were
booked into the Red Lion. When originally announced, Anime Expo '92 was
called Animecon '92, on the 4th July weekend; the org. and name of the
con changed after the split between John and Mike.

Before MT announced to anyone concerning Anime Expo '93, I had informed
him of my intention to run Animecon '93; at no time was MT unaware of my
plans. As I have stated before, he and I agreed not to make ANY
announcements concerning either con for thirty days, in hopes that we
could prevent the controversy in which we are currently embroiled. Mike
posted about Anime Expo '93 in violation of that agreement; at which
point I had no choice but to announce Animecon '93 (or cancel it
entirely), as the longer I waited, the more it would look as if I was
starting a competitive con to spite MT.

MT has gained a perceived tactical advantage by jumping the gun; first,
it looks as if I am being the "bad guy" by mounting a challange. Second,
I get to spend a lot of time justifying my actions. Dont get me wrong; I
want y'all to ask questions, and I will do my level best to answer them
ASAP, my connect-lag allowing. But I spend a lot of time and effort in
"denial" mode: "No, I am not exercising a personal vendetta against Mike"
"No, I am not doing this for the almighty $$$" "No, I do not still beat
my dog". Etc.

Practically speaking, only holiday dates are feasable for ANY kind of
con, and the local (west coast) con schedule pretty much makes the July
4th dates the only real feasible option, for either one of us.

Thanks for listening,

David Medinnus

Ps- didn't forget to sign it this time....a small victory, but I take
what I can get....(g)

Fafhrd -> (faf...@clubzen.fidonet.org)

Jeff Okamoto

Jul 23, 1992, 2:44:57 PM7/23/92
faf...@clubzen.fidonet.org (Dave Medinnus) states:

> Practically speaking, only holiday dates are feasable for ANY kind of
> con, and the local (west coast) con schedule pretty much makes the July
> 4th dates the only real feasible option, for either one of us.

What about San Diego Con? They seem to do pretty well on their non-holiday
weekend dates.
--
\ oo The New Number Who,
\____|\mm Jeff Okamoto

Joseph Kilpatrick

Jul 24, 1992, 8:04:12 PM7/24/92
>What about San Diego Con? They seem to do pretty well on their non-holiday
>weekend dates.
>--
> \ oo The New Number Who,
> \____|\mm Jeff Okamoto
> //_//\ \_\ HP Corporate Computing & Services
> /K-9/ \/_/ oka...@ranma.corp.hp.com
>/___/_____\
>----------- (415) 857-6236

There are a lot of cons that do well on non-holidays...Timecon was one of them,
so is Silicon...Infact, ususally they aren't on holidays.

--
---------------------
"I gotta fly like a duck...I gotta run like a wounded badger"

LaMont Jones

Jul 27, 1992, 1:49:50 PM7/27/92
:
: There are a lot of cons that do well on non-holidays...Timecon was one of
: them,
Interesting you should say Timecon did well... You must be refering to
Timecon 86. 1/2 :-)

: so is Silicon...Infact, ususally they aren't on holidays.

Silicon is held Thanksgiving weekend. A holiday for everyone except the
retail sales industry.

lamont

Joseph Kilpatrick

Jul 27, 1992, 10:17:31 PM7/27/92
In article <Bs26v...@cup.hp.com> lam...@cup.hp.com (LaMont Jones) writes:
>Silicon is held Thanksgiving weekend. A holiday for everyone except the
>retail sales industry.

O.K...I don't personally consider that weekend a vacation...the actualy day,
yes. But not weekend. Sorry....
*"I gotta fly like a duck.......... |Alt. lyrics for "Back to Paradise" from *
* I gotta run like a wounded badger"|Gundam0083[kilpatri.nextnet.ccs.csus.edu]*

Mike M. Tatsugawa

Jul 27, 1992, 10:41:57 PM7/27/92
In article <1992Jul25....@csus.edu> kilp...@nextnet.csus.edu (Joseph Kilpatrick) writes:
>>What about San Diego Con? They seem to do pretty well on their non-holiday
>>weekend dates.
>
>There are a lot of cons that do well on non-holidays...Timecon was one of them,
>so is Silicon...Infact, ususally they aren't on holidays.

TimeCon/ConFused WAS one of them.

SiliCon is on Thanksgiving weekend.

WonderCon (About 6,000 attendees) is the best example in the Bay Area.

Mike

Danielle M. Scott

Jul 27, 1992, 2:29:49 PM7/27/92
<313...@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>

--

Yeah, why not? WonderCon in Oakland (Oaktown) does the same thing and it
is VERY successful! I rather do that! Or just do it on any day in the