Bubblegun Splash! pt.4 [fanfic]

David E Wills

Sep 19, 1994, 3:06:21 AM9/19/94

Bubblegum Splash! 4: Hostile Takeover
Written by Mike Koos
-------------------------------------
In North America, Moose and his aide are preparing to board a flight back to
MegaTokyo. Always the one to take the point, Moose is the first in line to
step through the metal detector - setting off alarms that can be heard for
blocks.
A contingent of security guards surround and level assault guns at Moose. They
fail to see the dull gleam in his eyes...
...not that they could entirely see through the thick glass used in Moose's
glasses.

* * * *

For once the mid-afternoon skies are clear above MegaTokyo - clear as can be
of the pollution and the dark pall that always seemed to hang over it. More
so over Osaka, brightening a large white banner sporting the words, "Grand
Opening."
It had been a wonderful two months' preparation, but Sayuri and Yuka Mizuno
were finally able to realize their dreams of opening a restaurant and living
relatively normal lives... despite all they had to suffer through to achieve
it. (See Bubblegum Splash! 3.)
Fortunately, Ranma and the other Knight Sabers were there to lend a hand -
although Sayuri and Yuka wished their 'sisters' were able to be there to enjoy
the moment with them.
Akane, for her part, had supplied them with nearly everything - new
identities, a loan to find a place to live, a building for the restaurant, and
the renovations. After everything had been finished, Sayuri realized they
didn't have enough money to hire a staff.

Ranma had volunteered to help - it was either that or listen to her manager
keep trying to force her and Ayumi together. Just because Ayumi was related
to the owner of the studio didn't mean Ranma would agree to the pairing.
It was almost beginning to seem like a bizarre version of a shotgun marriage.

Then Akane volunteered to help cook in the kitchen. Ranma was quick to
disagree, and Akane was quick to borrow Ukyou's large spatula and hit Ranma
over the head with it.
In the end, Sayuri convinced Ranma that they needed all the help they could
get. After all, Akane's cooking couldn't be THAT bad... could it?

Sayuri: Hi! ...and welcome to our Grand Opening. Would you like to order?
Man: Yes; I'd like a cheeseburger with fries and drink, please.
Woman: Same for me.

Sayuri heads to the counter.

Sayuri: (calls out) Two cheeseburger regulars!
Akane: (standing in the kitchen) Got it!

Nearby, Ranma and Yuka are ready with their portable grill.

Ranma: (quietly) So do we.

Akane prepares the food with a speed that surprises even her. She calls for
Ranma to hand the food to Sayuri - which Ranma does, swapping Akane's cooking
for Yuka's along the way, of course.

This goes on for the rest of the afternoon. A few people compliment Sayuri on
the quality of the cooking. Sayuri, unaware of Ranma and Yuka's trick, passes
on the compliments to Akane.

Ranma notices on one of her delivery trips that Shampoo is one of the
customers. Shampoo makes short work of her meal and walks over to Sayuri.

Shampoo: That was one of the best meals I've ever had! I'll have to come by
and eat here every day!
Ranma: *NO!*

Ranma pushes Shampoo out of the restaurant.

Sayuri: (to everyone) Uh... please, don't be alarmed. Everything is okay.

Outside...

Ranma: (to Shampoo) You can't eat here all the time! You'll wipe out the food
supply in short order!
Shampoo: (makes a face) It was just a joke. I'm trying to help business.

Ranma realizes all of a sudden that the longer she's outside, more of Akane's
food is circulating *inside*.

Ranma: Whoops!
Shampoo: Where're you going?
Ranma: (at the doors) I've got to keep people from eating Akane's cooking!
Shampoo: AKANE'S cooking!?!?

Shampoo walks back in. Meanwhile...

Yuka: Isn't this wasteful? I mean, we're practically cooking everything
twice.
Ranma: Would you rather spend more money covering the hospital bills for a
widespread case of food poisoning?
Akane: *SO*!!!
Ranma, Yuka: Uh-oh...

In a burst of strength, Akane crowns Ranma with the portable grill.

Akane: THIS is what you've been up to!? I've been working all afternoon
cooking in that kitchen and you're **SWITCHING MY COOKING FOR
YOURS**!??!?

Yuka takes Akane and Ranma and holds them as far apart as her arms can.

Yuka: Now, Akane... Ranma meant well.
Akane: Oh, I'm sure she did.
Ranma: (aside) If it weren't for me everyone'd be sick now.
Akane: (growing upset) Kono.....

Akane knew that Yuka wouldn't let her get close enough to do anything to
Ranma. But she was also counting on Yuka keeping a tight grip on them both.

So when Akane reached over and flipped Yuka, Ranma went too - crashing to the
floor; Akane saved Yuka from the same fate. Surprised, Yuka lets go of Akane.

Akane: Now then...

Sayuri calls them from the other side of the counter.

Sayuri: Akane, Ranma! Yuka! There's something here I think you should see!

Yuka: (to Sayuri) Great timing, oneechan.
Sayuri: (doubtfully) I wonder...

Television: ...This is Asuka Sugou reporting to you LIVE from the site of the
new Takaya National Bank here in MegaTokyo, where the Knight Sabers
are brazenly executing an armed robbery in broad daylight.

Ranma, Akane, Yuka, Shampoo: The *KNIGHT SABERS*!?!?

Television: You heard me right. The Knight Sabers.

Shampoo rolls her eyes.
The reporter continues with her story about the Knight Sabers.

Yuka: How did they get to the scene so fast?
Ranma: That's news reporters for you. Always on the road looking for a story.

The "Knight Sabers" blow out the bank's front windows to escape, surprising
everyone - including the reporter, whose cameras make an attempt to track the
four armored figures as they bound away.

Television: Well, there you have it. A daring daylight robbery but what seemed
to be the Knight Sabers, escape, and pursuit. Have the Knight
Sabers turned to crime? Or were they always criminals... waiting
for the perfect opportunity to pull off the perfect crime? We'll
try to keep you informed on this late-breaking story.
Television: ...Now, back to Ryou, Anice, and Chuck back in the studio.

Sayuri motions everyone into the back room, out of earshot of the customers.

Shampoo: But how can we be there? We're *here*. And Ukyou is...
Akane: No one but us can wear our hardsuits. One thing's for sure; they're
definitely fake.
Sayuri: Easy for you to say. They've still damaged the Knight Sabers'
reputation.
Sayuri: And anyway, they're boomers.
Ranma: Huh? How can you tell?
Sayuri: Subtle differences.
Akane: We'll worry about that later. Right now we'd better get back to
MegaTokyo... (looks at Shampoo) ...so Shampoo can get back to work.
Shampoo: Aww, do I have to?
Akane: You don't like being our ADP contact?
Shampoo: Oh, THAT I don't mind. I just don't want to have to listen to Kunou
and his long-winded speeches about the Knight Sabers and everything
else.
Ranma: (quietly) At least it's you and not us.
Shampoo: (to Ranma) I heard that. Why should I be the only one to put up with
him? You and Akane should try working with him sometime.
Ranma: No thanks. I've been around him more than I can stand. It's bad enough
the guy occasionally follows me around on his off-hours...
Shampoo: More than you know.
Ranma: (hint of a smile) Are you sure about that? (to Akane) C'mon, let's go.
Akane: Right.

They head out the door, Ranma pulling Shampoo by her arm.

Shampoo: Can't I have something to eat before I leave?
Ranma: You've GOT to be kidding.

Sayuri: Yuka will take over the cooking while you're gone! (To herself.) Thank
goodness.

Inside the restaurant Yuka holds a taste test to see how Akane's cooking
tastes.

Sayuri: You don't want to do that. It's enough to make one regret being almost
Human.

* * * *

Moose glanced at his watch again. Forty-five minutes. A quarter-hour. That was
how long he had had to wait in the terminal after the announcement came that
his flight was being delayed by engine trouble.
And the clock was still ticking.
He allowed himself the pleasure of a choice curse and looked around for
something - or *someone* - to vent his frustration on. Fortunately, his aide
was off running errands or Moose might have turned on her.

* * * *

Shampoo felt as if she wanted to hide in her small cubicle of an office. From
the moment she'd walked back into the building she had stumbled right into the
middle of another one of Kunou's monologues.
As if a long-winded Kunou wasn't bad enough - now he was long-winded and smug,
to boot. Which, in retrospect, happened quite often... but it still didn't
make her feel any better about it. She heard everything she expected to hear
while she tried to lose him in the halls - apparently Kunou thought the AD
Police should put a warrant out for the Knight Sabers and hunt them down.

Ranran: He actually said that?
Shampoo: Yeah. As if we didn't have anything better to do than tracking down
the Knight Sabers.
Linlin: I'll bet they're being framed. Probably by someone at Genom or
something like that. Look at all the good they've done! They wouldn't-
Shampoo: Tell you what. *You* try to convince Kunou he's wrong. You know he's
always upset that the Knight Sabers do his job better than HE does
it...
Ranran: Speaking of the head of the anti-Knight Sabers committee, here he
comes.

Kunou: Ah! I had a feeling I would find you here, Shampoo.
Shampoo: What surprises me is it took you this long.

Linlin and Ranran snicker behind Kunou's back. They fall silent as he turns to
glare at them.

Kunou: (to Shampoo) I want you to try and help us get the jump on the Knight
Sabers. See if you can figure out where they are going to be... or any
kind of information that will help.
Shampoo: Give it a rest, will you? The Knight Sabers are being framed and you
know it! Even you can see that! How can you be so callous? We're
supposed to be after boomers, not the Knight Sabers!
Kunou: I am a man of the law. It is my job.
Shampoo: ...What if it was Ranma we were after? Then what?

She thought she saw Kunou's eyes light up for an instant.

Kunou: I would be sure to bring her in personally. (leaves)
Shampoo: <I'll just bet you would.>

Shampoo resolves to move the decimal point on the tax portion of Kunou's
salary computations one place or two to the right.
Meanwhile, Linlin and Ranran bring another familiar face into the
conversation.

Linlin: You agree with us, don't you, David?
Wills: Sure!
Wills: ...What are we talking about?

* * * *

Later that evening...
Ukyou walks into the Knight Sabers' headquarters, casually tossing her jacket
onto a chair.

Akane: I really wish you wouldn't do that.
Ukyou: Why? It's my jacket.
Akane: But the chair...
Ukyou: Is mine, too. I brought it for the game last week.
Akane: That's *not* what I mean... oh, forget it.

Shampoo pulls on the second-to-last piece of her hardsuit.

Shampoo: You'd better watch it, Ukyou - remember what happened last time you
went up against Akane?
Ukyou: You aren't going to let me forget about that until I die, are you?
Shampoo: Of course not!
Ukyou: (to Akane) So what are we up to tonight?
Akane: We're going to spread out on a recon and see if we can find out anything
on our twins.

Ukyou suddenly realizes Ranma's nowhere to be found.

Ukyou: Where's Ranma?
Akane: She and Sayuri are already on the streets.
Ukyou: Sayuri? Why does Ranma get to go with someone else?
Akane: Because she's not wearing her hardsuit.
Ukyou: Hmph. Never stopped her before.
Shampoo: (innocently) Or you? I didn't think you needed a hardsuit to slap
somebody silly with that giant spatula.
Ukyou: It's a good thing you're wearing your suit... ne, you little cyberdroid?

Shampoo pulls down an eyelid and sticks out her tongue at Ukyou.

* * * *

Nervously trying to keep steady on the back of Ranma's motorcycle, Sayuri had
to wonder if Ranma wasn't taking those turns a little too fast on purpose -
just because she had a passenger. Actually, this was the way Ranma *normally*
drove; Sayuri had no way of knowing that, yet. This was the first time she had
gone anywhere with Ranma driving... and between the spare helmet that was one
or two sizes too small for her head and trying to hold on to Ranma, she had a
lot to worry about.

Sayuri: (shouting) You're trying to kill me, aren't you?
Ranma: (shouting) Naah. If anything, I'm trying to kill ME.
Sayuri: You're crazy.
Ranma: Uh-huh.
Sayuri: ...Where do we start?
Ranma: I dunno. Your guess is as good as mine... we're only supposed to be on
the lookout for stuff. 'Course, if I had my hardsuit, we wouldn't have
to go looking for those guys...
Sayuri: Or the police.
Ranma: (frowns) Yeah.
Sayuri: Kunou?
Ranma: Don't remind me... I'd rather not think about him.
Sayuri: No! I mean, isn't that Kunou up there?
Ranma: (looking ahead) Damn! We *would* have to run into that idiot.
Hang on!
Sayuri: As if I had somewhere else to go!

Her words are lost to the wind.
There weren't that many cars on the road tonight, though. Which meant that
Ranma would have to ride out into the open if she wanted to pass Kunou. And
there wasn't enough traffic to lose themselves in after Kunou noticed them -
and he would - Hikaru had once told Ranma that Kunou went out on patrols
looking for her and no one else.
Today, in fact, was gearing up to be Hikaru's unluckiest day: he was the one
in the driver's seat.

Kunou: Did you see that?
Hikaru: What?

Hikaru *had* seen what Kunou had. He was hoping Kunou hadn't seen what he
himself had.

Kunou: Well, well. Ranma. Tail her. And you'd better not lose her this time!
We might even get a lead on the Knight Sabers.
Hikaru: Uh... you actually *believe* that?!? I don't think...
Kunou: You're losing her!!
Hikaru: Who's that with her?
Kunou: I don't know. I'm only interested in the driver.
Hikaru: <Tell me about it.>

Sayuri risks turning her head to look back at the car.

Sayuri: He's after us, all right! But he doesn't seem to be as desperate to
follow as you said he would be.
Ranma: Then Hikaru must be driving. Trust me, if Kunou was driving-

Ranma never gets a chance to finish her sentence. Four armored figures touch
down, blocking off the road several yards ahead. She loses control of the bike
and starts to slide toward the "Knight Sabers," leaning dangerously close to
the pavement. Ranma practically felt the paint stripping off the chassis as it
struck up sparks along the road.
In the middle of the slide Sayuri finds that even she cannot hold on any
longer and tumbles away.
Hikaru pulls even with Ranma as her bike conveniently skids to a complete halt
at the "Sabers'" feet. A few microseconds later Ranma finally let go of the
handlegrips.
Without thinking, Kunou rushes to her side.

Kunou: Ranma? Are you all right?
Ranma: ......
'Akane': (hollow, grating laugh) How touching. If I had known you were coming
I would have shot you instead.

Kunou recognizes the woman's voice.

Kunou: You... Shampoo was right. You aren't the Knight Sabers.
'Akane': So your simple brain finally figured it out, did it? (to 'Ranma' and
'Ukyou') Grab them. They're coming with us.
Sayuri: No!!

But she is too late. 'Akane' blasts the ground in front of her. When the smoke
clears Sayuri's prone body lies on the ground for all to see.

'Shampoo': ...Sayuri...?

'Ranma' and 'Ukyou' look at the body in disbelief.

'Akane': That can't be her. Sayuri was killed when the Processing plant
exploded. Come on; let's go!

She notices Hikaru hiding in the door of the patrol car. A lot of people were
gathering to watch, as well. She strides over and picks Hikaru up by his
collar.

'Akane': I want you to deliver a challenge from us to the real Knight Sabers.
Hikaru: But I don't know... I can't...
'Akane': Find a way. Because if they ever want to see these two alive again,
they will come to our headquarters in the waterfront district. Anyone
else comes, and we will kill everyone immediately.

She breaks into another megalomaniacal laugh.

Hikaru: (looking past her) Ah...

An instant later, "Akane's" helmet has a new addition: Kunou's wooden sword.
She drops Hikaru.

'Akane': (to Kunou) I ought to kill you here and now. You're not worth
anything to me.
Kunou: As you are to me.

Hikaru expected her to do something in return to Kunou's insult, but instead
the four depart with their captives - the cold laughter of their leader
trailing behind.
He runs to check on Sayuri.

Hikaru: Are you... all right?
Sayuri: (dusting herself off) I'm fine. I was just acting - sort of like you
were.
Hikaru: I wasn't acting...
Sayuri: (smiles) Nonsense! You know as well as I did that if either of us did
anything, the situation might've been much worse.
Hikaru: (unconvinced) Well...

Sayuri rights Ranma's bike and starts it.

Hikaru: Wait! Where are you going?
Sayuri: There's something I've got to do.
Hikaru: But the reports...
Sayuri: Forget the damn reports. Ranma's been kidnapped!
Hikaru: And Kunou.
Sayuri: Oh, well.
Hikaru: At least tell me your name...
Sayuri: (pauses) Mizuno. Sayuri Mizuno. (She leaves.)

* * * *

Stewardess: (politely) Another packet of honey-roasted peanuts, sir?
Moose: No, thank you.

Moose was trying very hard to stay calm and polite. His plane's engine trouble
was fixed, and he and his aide were on board the plane now.
Yet the flight was still being held up. There were no open runways left to
take off from.

His aide thought about taking a packet of peanuts, but Moose's expression told
her she'd had one too many already.

* * * *

Throughout MegaTokyo, the Knight Sabers report in.

Shampoo: (communicator) I've been monitoring the ADP freq, Akane. Hikaru just
reported that our doubles have kidnapped Kunou-
Ukyou: (communicator) That's not so bad.
Shampoo: -and Ranma.
Akane, Ukyou: Ranma!?
Shampoo: He's always trying to get close to her. Guess he was in the wrong
place at the wrong time... no, wait. That can't be right.
Akane: Did they mention anything about Sayuri?
Shampoo: Er, ...no.
Sayuri: (communicator) I'm here.
Akane: Sayuri? Where are you? What's going on?
Sayuri: I'll rendezvous with you on Ranma's cycle. Something weird's going on
here.

* * * *

Akane: So you think that three of those impostors could be your sisters?
Sayuri: One of them, at least. The two who had Ranma and Kunou stopped to try
and see if it was me, too.
Shampoo: Didn't the fourth boomer know who you were?
Sayuri: She wasn't a boomer - she was Human. That much I know for sure. She
seemed only to know me by name.
Sayuri: Kunou knew who she was, though.
Akane: He did?
Ukyou: Then it's gotta be someone pretty obvious.
Sayuri: He recognized her voice - and I think he recognized that strange laugh
of hers.
Akane: Laugh? What did it sound like?

Sayuri does her best to recreate the laugh, stopping short of overstressing
her circuitry.

Shampoo: Waitaminute - did she sound like this?

Shampoo replays an audio sample of Kodachi and her unforgettable grating
laugh. She isn't as lucky as Sayuri - a couple of relays are finally fried by
the playback.

Shampoo: <Serves me right for having the best audio equipment. This better be
worth it.>
Sayuri: (flash of recognition) That's her!
Akane: So that's it. Kodachi. She's come back for another shot at us.
Ukyou: And I'll bet we'll have to go to the same waterfront location. Damn!

The others turn to look at her.

Sayuri: I'll bet she's expecting all *four* Knight Sabers to show up.
What is she going to do when only three arrive?
Akane: Hmm... good question.

An idea starts to come to Akane as she studies Sayuri.

Akane: (to Sayuri) I wonder if we can modify Ranma's hardsuit so you can use
it.
Sayuri: Me?

* * * *

Ranma blears awake on the bed of a small prison cell.

Ranma: (dazed) Ohhh...
Kunou: Good, you're awake.

Despite the fact that Kunou was a bit taller than her, Ranma quickly shot to
her feet and had Kunou by a handful of his shirt, lifting his feet off the
ground.

Ranma: What the HELL did you do?!? You better not have taken advantage
of me...
Kunou: Hey now, calm down. I haven't done-
Kodachi: (to Kunou) My, you do get along famously with everyone you meet,
don't you?
Kunou, Ranma: Kodachi...
Kodachi: Hm?
Kodachi: (to Ranma) I know *he* recognizes who I am, but why do *you* know
who I am?
Kodachi: (pauses) ...Unless, of course, you're one of the Knight Sabers...
Ranma: (eyes narrow) The Knight Sabers?
Kodachi: No. Of course not. You don't strike me as the type.
Ranma: What type is that?
Kunou: Why have you kidnapped us?
Kodachi: Are you *that* ignorant? It's part of my plan for revenge. I shall
destroy you and the Knight Sabers in one quick blow!
Kunou: (gestures to Ranma) You can do whatever you want with me. Just let her
go. She is an innocent; she hasn't done anything to hurt you.
Kodachi: I'm afraid I can't do that. She knows too much already. Frankly, I
don't think you're enough of a prize to bring anyone running.

She turns to leave - but stops halfway.

Kodachi: Besides. If I leave the two of you in there long enough, she might
very well kill you for me. (Kodachi leaves.)
Kunou: (to Ranma) You wouldn't try to kill me, would you? I don't think you
have it in you.
Ranma: (evenly) Wait and see.

Moments later, someone else approaches the cell.

Ryoko: (nervously, to Ranma) You're... Ranma?
Ranma: Yes.
Ryoko: Are you a friend of Sayuri's? Is she alive?
Ranma: Yes. And so is Yuka.
Kunou: What are you two talking about?
Ranma: None of your business.

Disappointed, Kunou walks over to the bunk at the far end of the cell and
sits down.

Ryoko: But we saw Kodachi shoot Sayuri down!
Ranma: I doubt that blast really hurt her. She's tougher than that.
Ryoko: Thank goodness. She - Kodachi told us the Knight Sabers had killed
Sayuri and Yuka.
Ranma: No - the Knight Sabers saved them. So the three of you are still alive?
We were worried that you might have been caught in the Processing
Center when it collapsed.

Ranma herself had been the one to 'collapse' the Center, but she thought it
best to leave that little piece of information out for now.

Ryoko: Kodachi saved us. She said we owed her for that and that we needed to
get revenge on the Knight Sabers for killing our sisters. But when we
saw Sayuri with you... How is she?

Ranma glances at Kunou to make sure he isn't listening to the conversation.

Ranma: She and Yuka are running a restaurant in Osaka with new identities.
Ryoko: (expression brightening) I'll go tell Michiko and Kinu, and then we'll
break you out of here.
Ranma: Ryoko... you're Ryoko, right?
Ryoko: That's me.
Ranma: Sayuri's told me so much about you. We can't leave yet - the Knight
Sabers'll be walking into a trap!
Ryoko: I forgot! And Kodachi's brought several more boomers for the trap!
Ranma: Listen. Kodachi trusts you, right?
Ryoko: I suppose so.
Ranma: Maybe the three of you can sabotage those boomers before the Knight
Sabers get here.
Ryoko: Good idea! Then we can get out of here and this nightmare will
be over...
Ranma: Not quite. (points at Kunou) We'll have to take him along.

* * * *

Moose slammed his fists onto his briefcase in anger. A runway had finally
opened for the plane, but now he and the other passengers were being asked
to disembark because the plane couldn't take off into the heavy fog that
formed while they were all waiting!

Aide: It's okay. It's just one more night in a hotel. Don't worry, Genom
will cover the cost.
Moose: (getting up) No. Not this time. I'm going to do something about all
this.

Moose makes his way to the door.

Aide (calling after Moose) What are you going to do?
Moose: You'll find out.

* * * *

Ranma paces back and forth within the cell, long since having grown tired of
Kunou asking her to come and sit with him. The last time she'd almost shoved
him through the cell bars, lasers or no lasers. He seemed to have gotten the
hint, sitting silently for once off in a corner by himself.
In fact, *everything* had been very quiet for some time now. She admitted to
herself that she was worried something might have happened to Ryoko and the
others. Just as worried as if she'd asked Sayuri to take care of Kodachi's
boomers all by herself.
Both she and Kunou raised their heads at the sound of a commotion in the outer
corridor. Kodachi enters with three large boomers carrying a struggling Ryoko,
Michiko and Kinu in a boomer variant of the bear hug.

Ranma: What's going on here?
Kodachi: You might as well drop the act. I know you had everything to do
with this.

The boomers toss the trio into the cell. They hit the far wall and land on
the ground.

Ryoko, Michiko, Kinu: .........!
Kodachi: (laughs) More of you to die when the Knight Sabers arr- (loud
crash) -ive?
Ranma: They're here.

Kodachi wheels about to face her boomers.

Kodachi: (snaps) Get out there!!

Four Knight Sabers stand in a newly-created freight entrance in the abandoned
factory's wall. Kodachi and her boomers arrive just in time to see them step
through it.

Shampoo: (performs a series of unexpected poses) How dare you! Kidnapping
innocent citizens is an abomination to those who abide by the law!
In the name of the Knight Sabers, we will bring you to justice!

All: ............
Ukyou: Where the hell did you get that speech from?
Shampoo: I... I don't know. It just sort of... well, *happened*.

Ukyou shrugged. No sense in wasting a perfectly good giant spatula on
Shampoo.
Kodachi, however, didn't have the same reservations. Nor a giant spatula.

Kodachi: So, you've come. I knew you goody-goody two-shoes wouldn't be able
to stay away.
Shampoo: 'Goody-goody two-shoes?' Sheesh, and you thought MY speech was bad?
Kodachi: (to her boomers) Get them!

* * * *

In the cell, Ryoko, Ranma, and Kunou are trying to come up with a way out.
Ryoko had been intent on trying to break through the bars until Ranma threw
Kunou into them so Ryoko could see what happened. True to form, Kunou admitted
that it didn't hurt.

Michiko: Couldn't we tunnel our way out of here?
Ranma: It'd take forever. We've got to get out of here *now*.
Kinu: Then why don't we just use this circuit breaker to turn off the
power? (click)

The cell is plunged into darkness; the laser bars fade into oblivion.

Ryoko: You know, I think you've got something there.

* * * *

The lights shut off in the factory as Shampoo faces off against Kodachi's
armored mech.

Shampoo: Some mad scientist you are. You can't even pay your electric bill.
Kodachi: Picky, picky. Don't worry, the backup generator will kick in any
time now.

Sure enough...
As the backup generator restores the power, another wall opens up to reveal a
lone ADP officer, armed to the hilt with heavy weaponry.

Wills: All right, freeze, all of you!
Shampoo: What are YOU doing here?
Wills: I, ah, didn't have that much of a part in this story, so I thought I'd
come looking for girls in hardsuits - ah, *trouble*! I meant trouble!!

Ranma shows up and place kicks the ADP officer - and Kunou, for good measure.
Kinu, Michiko and Ryoko applaud the effort.
Seeing that her sisters are safe gives Sayuri an added boost. She charges
through a line of boomers.

Ranma: (counts the number of Knight Sabers on the battlefield) <Who's that
in my hardsuit?>
Ryoko: This is crazy! Each of those boomers is equipped with a powerful
explosive. If they're allowed to set them off...
Ranma: Right.

They watch the boomers and the Knight Sabers take each other on for a second.

Ranma: We've got to find a way to disable them without setting off
those bombs.

The boomers turn and gang up on Kodachi's mech.

Ranma: What the...?

She and Ryoko notice for the first time that Kinu had been entering commands
on a computer terminal for a while. Somehow, Kinu had managed to reprogram the
boomers.

Ryoko: How do you DO that?
Kinu: I love computers!

* * * *

Moose's aide is about to step off the plane when he reappears, taking her by
the arm back into the plane to see the pilot.

Aide: What did you do?
Moose: (to the pilot) My name is Moose. I work for Genom, and I'm ordering you
to take off and fly this plane on course now.
Pilot: Can't. Too much fog.

Moose dangles a multipart form in front of the pilot's face.

Moose: Maybe you didn't hear me. I'm the guy who just bought this airline.
You're going to fly this plane, understand?
Pilot: Okay, but you're going to have to fill out all these forms... standard
disclaimers... (puts small pile of forms in Moose's hands)
...insurance... (two-inch thick pile) ...tower override... (three-inch
thick pile) ...stock market evaluations... (four-inch thick pile)
...thousand-word essay on the debate on subbing versus dubbing...
(five-inch thick pile, not counting reference materials)
Moose: ......

* * * *

Everyone gathers to admire Kinu's handiwork. The boomers continue to try to
break open Kodachi's mech.

Shampoo: That should keep her occupied for a while.

Over the sounds of the combat boomers trying to rip open or absorb Kodachi's
mech comes the unmistakable sound of Kodachi's laughter.

Kodachi: You think you've won? I'm not done yet!

Her escape module punches free of the mech and straight through the roof to
freedom. Kinu is surprised by new information barging onto her terminal's
screen.

Kinu: (trying command sequences) Oops. She's activated a failsafe detonation
device. Those boomers are counting down to self-destruct - and I *can't*
stop them!!
Ukyou: Then we'd better start running!

They escape the building with forty-five seconds to spare.
Then, a familiar voice comes from within the building.

Kunou: Ranma? Anyone? Where did everyone go?
Shampoo: Oh, blast - Kunou's in there!

Ranma runs into the building.

Sayuri: Ranma!

Always one to act first and ask questions later, Ranma reaches the confused
Kunou and carries him out of the building over her head. They dive into the
water just as the building comes apart.
The others pull them back to dry land.

Kunou: (to Ranma) You saved my life! Why?
Ranma: Because there's one thing I want to do.
Kunou: (hopeful) What is it?
Ranma: THIS!!! (kicks Kunou into the distance again)

Sayuri removes the hardsuit's helmet and rushes to greet her sisters.

Sayuri: I'm so glad you're all safe!
Ryoko: Sayuri? Are you one of the Knight Sabers?
Sayuri: No. But Ranma is.

* * * *

At the foot of the runway sits Moose, filling out forms with a bank pen on a
long chain secured somewhere within his robe. A bird settles on the stack of
forms to complete.
Moose mistakes the image for a Knight Saber and attacks, sending paper
everywhere.

---------------------------------------
CREDITS:

Special Guest Appearance by: David Wills (Fidonet's own Raving Hentai Lunatic)

Special thanks to: David Wills, Carl Yan, the 'home group' (not to be
confused with the "Late Show's" Home Office) and all the
readers of this series. Your comments are appreciated. :)

Sincere apologies to:
the people behind Ranma 1/2 (especially Rumiko Takahashi), Bubblegum
Crisis/Crash! (especially Kenichi Sonoda), Ghost Sweeper Mikami (Takeshi
Shiina). And others...

* Mike "Ranma Saotome" Koos * ...The fact that you were a practicing *
* (AKA "Ayumi Fujimura") * pervert at the age of five has nothing *
* ------------------------- * to do with the rest of the world. *
* FIDOnet : 1:203/955 * ---Sam Beckett, Quantum Leap *
* Internet: ra...@aco.com * *