Emma - through episode 02...

D-Chance.

Feb 11, 2006, 10:21:55 PM2/11/06
Yes, still trying to clear out the harddrive, so it's on to this
one for a few episodes (maybe).

Ah, love at first sight... and even in the Victorian Era...
men can be such 'ijits'.

At 12 eps, I gather this is a pretty light and quick "love
conquers societal class biases and all that" thing?

And since it is a period piece, no Emma swimsuit episode?
*tell me Megami magazine came through with this one* ;)

Fish Eye no Miko

Feb 11, 2006, 10:48:33 PM2/11/06
D-Chance. wrote:

> And since it is a period piece, no Emma swimsuit episode?

Hey, if they can put Inaho in a bikini in the 1902's in _Master of
Mosquton_...

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net
"When Catherine thinks you're too gay, you're too gay."

Chuck Stewart

Feb 11, 2006, 10:54:53 PM2/11/06
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:21:55 -0600, D-Chance. wrote:

> Yes, still trying to clear out the harddrive, so it's on to this
> one for a few episodes (maybe).

Watch 'Victorian Romance Emma'.

> Ah, love at first sight... and even in the Victorian Era...
> men can be such 'ijits'.

Watch 'Emma'.

> At 12 eps, I gather this is a pretty light and quick "love
> conquers societal class biases and all that" thing?

No.

> And since it is a period piece, no Emma swimsuit episode?

No swimsuit.

> *tell me Megami magazine came through with this one* ;)

No.

Watch 'Victorian Romance Emma'.

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just watching
'Victorian Romance Emma'?"

Dave Baranyi

Feb 11, 2006, 11:50:24 PM2/11/06

"Chuck Stewart" <zapk...@gmx.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:21:55 -0600, D-Chance. wrote:
>
>> Yes, still trying to clear out the harddrive, so it's on to this
>> one for a few episodes (maybe).
>
> Watch 'Victorian Romance Emma'.
>
>> Ah, love at first sight... and even in the Victorian Era...
>> men can be such 'ijits'.
>
> Watch 'Emma'.
>
>> At 12 eps, I gather this is a pretty light and quick "love
>> conquers societal class biases and all that" thing?
>
> No.
>
>> And since it is a period piece, no Emma swimsuit episode?
>
> No swimsuit.
>
>> *tell me Megami magazine came through with this one* ;)
>
> No.
>
> Watch 'Victorian Romance Emma'.

Chuck - you're trying too hard...<g>

Dave Baranyi

Fish Eye no Miko

Feb 12, 2006, 12:51:27 AM2/12/06
Fish Eye no Miko wrote:

> D-Chance. wrote:
>
>> And since it is a period piece, no Emma swimsuit episode?
>
> Hey, if they can put Inaho in a bikini in the 1902's in _Master of
> Mosquton_...

That would be "1920's" and "Mosquiton"...

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net

"If it weren't for the dozens of idiot drivers in front of you, you'd be
home by now."
-Rock station advertisement.

Widya Santoso

Feb 12, 2006, 2:39:11 AM2/12/06
"D-Chance." <dch...@cox-internet.com> writes:

>And since it is a period piece, no Emma swimsuit episode?
>*tell me Megami magazine came through with this one* ;)

PUNCH!!! ?:-)
--
Widya Santoso wsan...@nyx.net +61 2 6288-0405
"To talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that

Ethan Hammond

Feb 12, 2006, 2:41:18 AM2/12/06
"Widya Santoso" <wsan...@nyx.net> wrote in message

> "D-Chance." <dch...@cox-internet.com> writes:
>
>>And since it is a period piece, no Emma swimsuit episode?
>>*tell me Megami magazine came through with this one* ;)
>
> PUNCH!!! ?:-)

We gots to have our fanservice, HAVE IT!

--
All Purpose Culture Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Widya Santoso

Feb 12, 2006, 2:41:58 AM2/12/06
Chuck Stewart <zapk...@gmx.co.uk> writes:

>Watch 'Victorian Romance Emma'.

>Watch 'Emma'.

>Watch 'Victorian Romance Emma'.

And then read the manga, which continues from where the anime left off.
There may not be nudity, but there are corsets and other undergarments
(but that's not why I read it of course.)

Chuck Stewart

Feb 12, 2006, 3:29:17 AM2/12/06
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 07:41:58 +0000, Widya Santoso wrote:

> Chuck Stewart <zapk...@gmx.co.uk> writes:

>>Watch 'Victorian Romance Emma'.

> And then read the manga, which continues from where the anime left off.

Of course... but first we hook 'em with
the anime! ;)

> There may not be nudity, but there are corsets and other undergarments
> (but that's not why I read it of course.)

Emma doujin, on the other hand, do tend
to be extreme. Overcompensation?

An example: Emma encounters... tentacles.

Definitely NOT work safe!
But do note that she keeps her apron on
at all times...

http://www.nekomimicon.net/scratchingpost/Emmas_War_Of _The_Worlds/

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"

Chuck Stewart

Feb 12, 2006, 3:34:31 AM2/12/06
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:29:17 +0000, Chuck Stewart wrote:

> Emma doujin, on the other hand, do tend
> to be extreme. Overcompensation?

> An example: Emma encounters... tentacles.

> Definitely NOT work safe!
> But do note that she keeps her apron on
> at all times...

A slight URL correction:

http://www.nekomimicon.net/scratchingpost/Emmas_War_Of_The_Worlds/

D-Chance.

Feb 12, 2006, 12:07:39 PM2/12/06
"Ethan Hammond" <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote

>>>And since it is a period piece, no Emma swimsuit episode?
>>>*tell me Megami magazine came through with this one* ;)

>> PUNCH!!! ?:-)

> We gots to have our fanservice, HAVE IT!

You can never have enough eyeglass girl fanservice...

D-Chance.

Feb 12, 2006, 12:15:01 PM2/12/06

"Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote

>>> And since it is a period piece, no Emma swimsuit episode?

>> Hey, if they can put Inaho in a bikini in the 1902's in _Master of
>> Mosquton_...

> That would be "1920's" and "Mosquiton"...

Now trying to remember series... ah, Tactics! They did a 'swimsuit'
episode despite being period. But one character donned the frilly
swim bonnet and long pants/tshirt. The other was nude; but changed
into her animal form of a fox, so... yes, they did a humor spot with it.
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4678/tactics09014zr.png

Abraham Evangelista

Feb 12, 2006, 12:50:30 PM2/12/06
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:29:17 GMT, Chuck Stewart <zapk...@gmx.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 07:41:58 +0000, Widya Santoso wrote:
>
>> Chuck Stewart <zapk...@gmx.co.uk> writes:
>
>>>Watch 'Victorian Romance Emma'.
>
>> And then read the manga, which continues from where the anime left off.
>
>Of course... but first we hook 'em with
>the anime! ;)
>
>> There may not be nudity, but there are corsets and other undergarments
>> (but that's not why I read it of course.)

Of course not. I'm sure you read it "for the articles". :-)

>Emma doujin, on the other hand, do tend
>to be extreme. Overcompensation?
>
>An example: Emma encounters... tentacles.
>
>Definitely NOT work safe!
>But do note that she keeps her apron on
>at all times...

WOO-HOO! APRON NAKED EMMA! I'M SO THERE! <clicks link>

>http://www.nekomimicon.net/scratchingpost/Emmas_War_Of _The_Worlds/

Anou... Where's my Emma-service? (Although the elephant was a nice
touch)

Actually to be fair, Emma is very much a case of "less is more" when
it comes to fan-service. The first time she let her hair down, I
nearly passed out from bloodloss. :-) The corset shots are
Mori-sensei's method of encouraging you to donate more blood to the
local Red Cross.

(I was going to leave 'fan-service' as 'service', but given that she's
an honest to god maid, it might have been a little ambiguous.)
--
Nya! Nya! Primula Fthagn!
Abraham Evangelista

Chuck Stewart

Feb 12, 2006, 1:25:21 PM2/12/06
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:50:30 +0000, Abraham Evangelista wrote:

> The zapkitty baited and switched:

>>An example: Emma encounters... tentacles.
>>Definitely NOT work safe!
>>But do note that she keeps her apron on
>>at all times...

> WOO-HOO! APRON NAKED EMMA! I'M SO THERE! <clicks link>

Who said anything about Emma-service? I said
she encounters tentacles but thzat she does
keep her apron on.

>(Although the elephant was a nice touch)

The sad fate of the elephant is, of course,
what makes that scene unsafe for work... ;)

Rob Kelk

Feb 12, 2006, 1:43:44 PM2/12/06

You're just trying to get me to mention "Ah! Megane-sama", aren't you?
Well, it isn't going to work this time... What? Oh, drat.

Well, then:
<http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/meganekko/fulltime7.html#emma>

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

iira...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2006, 1:48:30 PM2/12/06

Well, Grandis was wore a bikini that one time in Fushigi no Umi
no Nadia. Also Nadia's regular costume can be said to be a bikini
with vest and skirt. This in 1889.
----
Dendarii Free Mercenary Fleet
Daring rescues our specialty.

Widya Santoso

Feb 13, 2006, 2:26:44 AM2/13/06
Abraham Evangelista <da...@verizon.net> writes:

>>On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 07:41:58 +0000, Widya Santoso wrote:

>>> There may not be nudity, but there are corsets and other undergarments
>>> (but that's not why I read it of course.)

>Of course not. I'm sure you read it "for the articles". :-)

Actually I tell a lie, her new mistress is an extremely sexual creature,
so you do see her disrobe. Plus, the aforementioned corsets and other
assorted undergarments...

D-Chance.

Feb 24, 2006, 8:07:21 PM2/24/06
Done.

That was rather... abrupt.

I guess love doesn't conquer all, after all... of course, it's easy
for someone to say that when he has his own personal quartet.

Nice little series; but it did suffer from being cut short.

Chuck Stewart

Feb 25, 2006, 1:59:31 AM2/25/06
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:07:21 -0600, D-Chance. wrote:

> Done.

For now, yes.

(the zapkitty points to a long line...)

The Emma 2 petition queue is right over
there.

> That was rather... abrupt.

The manga continues, and things don't
get easier.

> I guess love doesn't conquer all,
> after all... of course, it's easy
> for someone to say that when he has
> his own personal quartet.

Ah! But if William had conducted
himself as expected of his class (and
with discretion) he could well have had
a duet :)

> Nice little series; but it did suffer
> from being cut short.

Yes. Now venture over to the manga for
the further story...
http://cerealandmilk.net/iichan/
... but again it hasn't turned up roses
there yet either.

Widya Santoso

Feb 28, 2006, 7:40:30 AM2/28/06
Chuck Stewart <zapk...@orcon.net.nz> writes:

>> Nice little series; but it did suffer
>> from being cut short.

>Yes. Now venture over to the manga for
>the further story...
>http://cerealandmilk.net/iichan/
>... but again it hasn't turned up roses
>there yet either.

And now CMX have picked up the licence to the manga now...

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6cfd02e207ad12724a391652e9afc9ba&threadid=60890

Chuck Stewart

Feb 28, 2006, 8:05:10 AM2/28/06
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:40:30 +0000, Widya Santoso wrote:

> And now CMX have picked up the licence to the manga now...

> http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6cfd02e207ad12724a391652e9afc9ba&threadid=60890

Damn. There go all the "naked apron" scenes
with Emma. They'll probably censor the bits
with the harem girls and the elephant as well.

*sigh*

David Watson

Feb 28, 2006, 9:15:49 AM2/28/06
Widya Santoso wrote:
> Chuck Stewart <zapk...@orcon.net.nz> writes:
>

>>>Nice little series; but it did suffer
>>>from being cut short.
>

>>Yes. Now venture over to the manga for
>>the further story...
>>http://cerealandmilk.net/iichan/
>>... but again it hasn't turned up roses
>>there yet either.
>

> And now CMX have picked up the licence to the manga now...
>
> http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6cfd02e207ad12724a391652e9afc9ba&threadid=60890

That means that this is one more title I like but won't be buying--until
they stop ruining Tenjho Tenge and release an unscrewed version of it.
Until that time, please stop supporting unapologetically censorious
manga companies.
--
Dave Watson, Severed Heads Liberation Front (Stretcher CD-R--sevcom.com)
Frezier Balzoff (aka Ottawa), Ontario, Canada Email--shlf[at]ncf[dot]ca

Abraham Evangelista

Feb 28, 2006, 11:01:16 AM2/28/06
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:15:49 -0500, aj...@ncf.ca (David Watson) wrote:

>Widya Santoso wrote:

>>>Yes. Now venture over to the manga for
>>>the further story...
>>>http://cerealandmilk.net/iichan/
>>>... but again it hasn't turned up roses
>>>there yet either.
>>

>> And now CMX have picked up the licence to the manga now...
>>
>> http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6cfd02e207ad12724a391652e9afc9ba&threadid=60890
>
>That means that this is one more title I like but won't be buying--until
>they stop ruining Tenjho Tenge and release an unscrewed version of it.
>Until that time, please stop supporting unapologetically censorious
>manga companies.

Was Emma on your purchase list to being with? (Although to be fair,
if one is paying any sort of attention, it's pretty obvious that
Emma's got a fair pair.) :-)
--
"ZAKKENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Abraham Evangelista

David Watson

Feb 28, 2006, 12:46:35 PM2/28/06

I've been enjoying the manga scanlations, and I hope to get ahold of the
digisubs soon. She's definitely easy on the eyes, but I've just been
enjoying the story as a whole.

junior-kun

Feb 28, 2006, 12:46:52 PM2/28/06

David Watson wrote:
> Widya Santoso wrote:

> >>Yes. Now venture over to the manga for
> >>the further story...
> >>http://cerealandmilk.net/iichan/
> >>... but again it hasn't turned up roses
> >>there yet either.
> >

> > And now CMX have picked up the licence to the manga now...
> >
> > http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6cfd02e207ad12724a391652e9afc9ba&threadid=60890
>
> That means that this is one more title I like but won't be buying--until
> they stop ruining Tenjho Tenge and release an unscrewed version of it.
> Until that time, please stop supporting unapologetically censorious
> manga companies.

How dare CMX bring me scores of uncensored, high quality manga
translations while also censoring some soft core porno title I don't
particularly want to buy! Fuck em! May Emma be cancelled so the U.S.
manga rights spend years in limbo. That will make things better!

Wait a minute, you're not outraged enough! How dare the manga author
sign a contract that allows Tenijo Tenge to be censored in america!
Boycott the author, boycott the anime studio, boycott everything!

Rob Kelk

Feb 28, 2006, 5:50:03 PM2/28/06
On 28 Feb 2006 09:46:52 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>David Watson wrote:

<snip>

>> That means that this is one more title I like but won't be buying--until
>> they stop ruining Tenjho Tenge and release an unscrewed version of it.
>> Until that time, please stop supporting unapologetically censorious
>> manga companies.
>
>How dare CMX bring me scores of uncensored, high quality manga
>translations while also censoring some soft core porno title I don't
>particularly want to buy!

CMX announced before shipping that Tenjo Tenge would be uncensored.
We're still waiting for the uncensored version that they advertised.

> Fuck em! May Emma be cancelled so the U.S.
>manga rights spend years in limbo. That will make things better!
>
>Wait a minute, you're not outraged enough! How dare the manga author
>sign a contract that allows Tenijo Tenge to be censored in america!
>Boycott the author, boycott the anime studio, boycott everything!

Do you have any proof that the manga author signed the contract? These
deals are usually negoitated between the Japanese and U.S. publishing
companies; having the author involved would be *extremely* unusual.

Inu-Yasha

Feb 28, 2006, 6:12:38 PM2/28/06

"D-Chance." <dch...@cox-internet.com> wrote in message

???? I must be missing something, the only anime "I" know of titled Emma is
a Victorian romance that I just started, so are all the other posters
referring to another anime? Same with the manga? What about yourself, you
said ended at 2 episodes, the Victorian romance Emma is 12 ep. I'm
completely confused. ^_*;

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!

junior-kun

Feb 28, 2006, 6:38:25 PM2/28/06

Rob Kelk wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2006 09:46:52 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >David Watson wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> That means that this is one more title I like but won't be buying--until
> >> they stop ruining Tenjho Tenge and release an unscrewed version of it.
> >> Until that time, please stop supporting unapologetically censorious
> >> manga companies.
> >
> >How dare CMX bring me scores of uncensored, high quality manga
> >translations while also censoring some soft core porno title I don't
> >particularly want to buy!
>
> CMX announced before shipping that Tenjo Tenge would be uncensored.

And if they somehow tricked you into buying a censored copy maybe they
owe you your money back, but I'd imagine that the people complaining
aren't doing it because they lost ten bucks.

Its utterly ridiculous to call for a boycotting of Emma because you
aren't happy about Tenjo Tenge. If your boycott succeeds, Emma gets
cancelled, the rights get stuck in limbo, and you don't get any Emma
translation. Tenjo Tenge ain't gonna be cancelled, if CMX is correct,
the censored version sells MORE COPIES than the uncensored one. You
don't think they made the change just to annoy you, do you?

Furthermore, if CMX didn't exist, you have no evidence that any other
company would have been interested or willing to pick Emma up. Best
case scenario, fandom gets one less book to enjoy, good for you!

And y'now what? Every manga company that puts out uncensored books
into the hands of an English speaking audience is a good thing, every
if they also put out a few undesirable books. Lots of stuff out there
doesn't get translated or scanlated, every manga company is a good
thing.

"David Watson"'s boycott of Emma is going to be noticed by nobody.
He's pretendig to be principled, but I notice he happily admits to
reading the scanlations. Kinda easy to decide not to buy something on
principles when you're already stealing it for free, isn't it? David
Watson is a real hero.

> > Fuck em! May Emma be cancelled so the U.S.
> >manga rights spend years in limbo. That will make things better!
> >
> >Wait a minute, you're not outraged enough! How dare the manga author
> >sign a contract that allows Tenijo Tenge to be censored in america!
> >Boycott the author, boycott the anime studio, boycott everything!
>
> Do you have any proof that the manga author signed the contract?

These
> deals are usually negoitated between the Japanese and U.S. publishing
> companies; having the author involved would be *extremely* unusual.

What does it matter? If the japanese company was involved, you should
boycott the japanese company on principle and the author will starve!!!

Fred Gallanger just signed a deal with CMX. Because we're pissed off
at Tenjo Tenge, let's all join hands and make him bankrupt!!!

Abraham Evangelista

Feb 28, 2006, 6:47:12 PM2/28/06
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:12:38 GMT, "Inu-Yasha" <tjar...@cfl.rr.com>
wrote:

>"D-Chance." <dch...@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
>> Done.
>>
>> That was rather... abrupt.
>>
>> I guess love doesn't conquer all, after all... of course, it's easy
>> for someone to say that when he has his own personal quartet.
>>
>> Nice little series; but it did suffer from being cut short.
>>

>???? I must be missing something, the only anime "I" know of titled Emma is
>a Victorian romance that I just started,

Started spring '05, ended summer '05, on a less than "complete" note.
(At least for fans of the Manga.)

--
"ZAKKENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Abraham Evangelista

Chuck Stewart

Feb 28, 2006, 7:12:56 PM2/28/06
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:12:38 +0000, Inu-Yasha wrote:

> ???? I must be missing something, the only anime "I" know of titled Emma is

> ... what about yourself, you said ended at 2 episodes...

Nah, he just replied to an old post about
ep 2 and forgot to update the subject line.

> Inu-Yasha

Rob Kelk

Feb 28, 2006, 9:33:45 PM2/28/06
On 28 Feb 2006 15:38:25 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Rob Kelk wrote:
>> On 28 Feb 2006 09:46:52 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >David Watson wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>> >How dare CMX bring me scores of uncensored, high quality manga
>> >translations while also censoring some soft core porno title I don't
>> >particularly want to buy!
>>
>> CMX announced before shipping that Tenjo Tenge would be uncensored.
>
>And if they somehow tricked you into buying a censored copy maybe they
>owe you your money back, but I'd imagine that the people complaining
>aren't doing it because they lost ten bucks.

I don't care whether it is or isn't censored; it isn't a title I would
have bought anyway. I *do* care that the company advertised one thing
but made available something else. That's misleading advertising, IMHO.

>Its utterly ridiculous to call for a boycotting of Emma because you
>aren't happy about Tenjo Tenge.

First, I didn't call for the boycott. Second, I'm "not happy" about the
company's business practices; the product is irrelevant.

> If your boycott succeeds, Emma gets
>cancelled, the rights get stuck in limbo, and you don't get any Emma
>translation. Tenjo Tenge ain't gonna be cancelled, if CMX is correct,
>the censored version sells MORE COPIES than the uncensored one.

Of course it does; Dave Watson's whole complaint is that they don't
release an uncensored version. Even if they only sold *one* copy of the
censored books, they would have outsold the uncensored books that *don't
exist*.

> You
>don't think they made the change just to annoy you, do you?
>
>Furthermore, if CMX didn't exist, you have no evidence that any other
>company would have been interested or willing to pick Emma up. Best
>case scenario, fandom gets one less book to enjoy, good for you!

There's no evidence that any other company would not have been
interested or willing to pick up the title, either. In fact,
considering how much "buzz" the title has received, it's more likely
that other companies would have been interested in picking up the rights
to the title.

>And y'now what? Every manga company that puts out uncensored books
>into the hands of an English speaking audience is a good thing, every
>if they also put out a few undesirable books.

When CMX *_prints_* the uncensored books *_that they advertised_*, then
that statement will apply.

Or are you proposing that there's no difference between any two manga?

> Lots of stuff out there
>doesn't get translated or scanlated, every manga company is a good
>thing.

I suggest you make that statement over on rec.arts.manga, and find out
what response you get.

>"David Watson"'s boycott of Emma is going to be noticed by nobody.
>He's pretendig to be principled, but I notice he happily admits to
>reading the scanlations. Kinda easy to decide not to buy something on
>principles when you're already stealing it for free, isn't it? David
>Watson is a real hero.

I see that you have no understanding of the copyright laws in force
where Mr. Watson resides.

>> > Fuck em! May Emma be cancelled so the U.S.
>> >manga rights spend years in limbo. That will make things better!
>> >
>> >Wait a minute, you're not outraged enough! How dare the manga author
>> >sign a contract that allows Tenijo Tenge to be censored in america!
>> >Boycott the author, boycott the anime studio, boycott everything!
>>
>> Do you have any proof that the manga author signed the contract? These
>> deals are usually negoitated between the Japanese and U.S. publishing
>> companies; having the author involved would be *extremely* unusual.
>

>What does it matter? If the japanese company was involved, you should
>boycott the japanese company on principle and the author will starve!!!

If the Japanese company was to engage in misleading advertising, then
they *should* be boycotted.

>Fred Gallanger just signed a deal with CMX. Because we're pissed off
>at Tenjo Tenge, let's all join hands and make him bankrupt!!!

Who is Fred Gallanger, and why should I care about him?

Abraham Evangelista

Feb 28, 2006, 10:02:19 PM2/28/06
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 02:33:45 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
wrote:

>On 28 Feb 2006 15:38:25 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Rob Kelk wrote:

<snip>

>>Fred Gallanger just signed a deal with CMX. Because we're pissed off

>>at Tenjo Tenge, let's all join hands and make him bankrupt!!!
>
>Who is Fred Gallanger, and why should I care about him?

At the risk of having misinterpreted some sweet sweet sarcasm, I think
he misspelled Fred Gallagher, author and artist of Megatokyo.

http://www.megatokyo.com/

Might be something worth your time there if you like talky shojo style
drama, or hallucinations. :-)
--
"ZAKKENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Abraham Evangelista

Rob Kelk

Feb 28, 2006, 10:33:57 PM2/28/06

Thanks, Abraham. No sarcasm on my part; I really didn't know who he was
talking about.

(I tried reading MegaTokyo for a few weeks once, but couldn't get into
it...)

Abraham Evangelista

Feb 28, 2006, 10:39:23 PM2/28/06
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 03:33:57 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 03:02:19 GMT, Abraham Evangelista
><da...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 02:33:45 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
>>wrote:

>><snip>

>>>Who is Fred Gallanger, and why should I care about him?
>>
>>At the risk of having misinterpreted some sweet sweet sarcasm, I think
>>he misspelled Fred Gallagher, author and artist of Megatokyo.
>>
>>http://www.megatokyo.com/
>>
>>Might be something worth your time there if you like talky shojo style
>>drama, or hallucinations. :-)
>
>Thanks, Abraham. No sarcasm on my part; I really didn't know who he was
>talking about.

Wasn]t sure. The other thread indicates that you're in a bad mood
today, and it's always better safe than sorry! :-)

>(I tried reading MegaTokyo for a few weeks once, but couldn't get into
>it...)

THAT is not an uncommon occurance. I like it, but I've got a soft
spot for the weepy stuff.
--
"ZAKKENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Abraham Evangelista

Rob Kelk

Feb 28, 2006, 10:50:53 PM2/28/06
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 03:39:23 GMT, Abraham Evangelista
<da...@verizon.net> wrote:

Well, yes - food poisoning will do that to a person. (My own fault; I
confused smoked and fresh sausages, ate the former when I bought them,
and left the latter in the fridge for two weeks before cooking them...
Rob no baka.) Thanks for asking.

David Watson

Mar 1, 2006, 1:04:11 AM3/1/06
junior-kun wrote:

> David Watson wrote:
>>That means that this is one more title I like but won't be buying--until
>>they stop ruining Tenjho Tenge and release an unscrewed version of it.
>>Until that time, please stop supporting unapologetically censorious
>>manga companies.
>
> How dare CMX bring me scores of uncensored, high quality manga
> translations while also censoring some soft core porno title I don't
> particularly want to buy!

Just because you don't, doesn't mean nobody wants to. Lots of people
wanted Tenjho Tenge the way it was supposed to be in the first place and
were told that that's how it would be, and are quite rightly pissed with
CMX that they pulled a bait-and-switch on us.

> Fuck em! May Emma be cancelled so the U.S.
> manga rights spend years in limbo. That will make things better!

Better in limbo than handled by a company that really doesn't give a
damn about the art or its fans--just the money the manga-buying audience
generates.

> Wait a minute, you're not outraged enough! How dare the manga author
> sign a contract that allows Tenijo Tenge to be censored in america!

Did Ogure-san sign the contract--or was it just his publisher?

> Boycott the author, boycott the anime studio, boycott everything!

Boycott companies who have no respect for art, its fans and its fans'
intelligence. Thankfully that still leaves some companies I sling money
at when I'm able to. So far, no authors have made me want to boycott;
some have just not made me interested in reading them.

David Watson

Mar 1, 2006, 1:19:49 AM3/1/06
junior-kun wrote:

> Rob Kelk wrote:
>>CMX announced before shipping that Tenjo Tenge would be uncensored.
> And if they somehow tricked you into buying a censored copy maybe they
> owe you your money back, but I'd imagine that the people complaining
> aren't doing it because they lost ten bucks.

No, they're doing it because they were indeed tricked.

> Its utterly ridiculous to call for a boycotting of Emma because you
> aren't happy about Tenjo Tenge. If your boycott succeeds, Emma gets
> cancelled, the rights get stuck in limbo, and you don't get any Emma
> translation. Tenjo Tenge ain't gonna be cancelled, if CMX is correct,
> the censored version sells MORE COPIES than the uncensored one. You
> don't think they made the change just to annoy you, do you?

They haven't published an uncensored version of TT yet. That's why
people are mad at them, including me.

> Furthermore, if CMX didn't exist, you have no evidence that any other
> company would have been interested or willing to pick Emma up. Best
> case scenario, fandom gets one less book to enjoy, good for you!

No, I don't. I don't think it'd make that much of a difference to Kaoru
Mori, though; the way her work does in Japan alone seems to tide her
over just fine.

> And y'now what? Every manga company that puts out uncensored books
> into the hands of an English speaking audience is a good thing, every
> if they also put out a few undesirable books. Lots of stuff out there
> doesn't get translated or scanlated, every manga company is a good
> thing.

Not if they're censorious, misleading, not accountable to their
customers (including the middlemen between them and us), and
hypocritical (Berserk apparently runs uncensored--so why not TT?).

> "David Watson"'s boycott of Emma is going to be noticed by nobody.
> He's pretendig to be principled, but I notice he happily admits to
> reading the scanlations. Kinda easy to decide not to buy something on
> principles when you're already stealing it for free, isn't it? David
> Watson is a real hero.

Big news, knobhead--a good lot of the anime and manga I've bought is
stuff I had/have fansubs/scanlations of. I do support legitimate
companies--when they don't do things that piss me off. Thankfully, that
still leaves quite a few.

> What does it matter? If the japanese company was involved, you should
> boycott the japanese company on principle and the author will starve!!!

Guess what? What CMX did to TT cause a lot of people to buy the
original Japanese tankouban. Do try again; you're failing miserably.

> Fred Gallanger just signed a deal with CMX. Because we're pissed off
> at Tenjo Tenge, let's all join hands and make him bankrupt!!!

I don't like Megatokyo enough to want to buy it anyway. Besides, you
might also notice that he's kept all his Megatokyo strips on his
website. For free.

Roger A. Young

Mar 1, 2006, 11:41:36 AM3/1/06
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 01:19:49 -0500, aj...@ncf.ca (David Watson) barked
out:

>junior-kun wrote:
>> Rob Kelk wrote:
>>>CMX announced before shipping that Tenjo Tenge would be uncensored.
>> And if they somehow tricked you into buying a censored copy maybe they
>> owe you your money back, but I'd imagine that the people complaining
>> aren't doing it because they lost ten bucks.
>
>No, they're doing it because they were indeed tricked.

Ahhh, no truth in advertising again. And people are surprised why?

*Chop chop*

>> Furthermore, if CMX didn't exist, you have no evidence that any other
>> company would have been interested or willing to pick Emma up. Best
>> case scenario, fandom gets one less book to enjoy, good for you!
>
>No, I don't. I don't think it'd make that much of a difference to Kaoru
>Mori, though; the way her work does in Japan alone seems to tide her
>over just fine.

The considerations for markets other than ones own native soil are
secondary in the publishing world I find. Yes its great if that authors
title is picked up by another market for translation and publication but
it is not of the primary importance that some people seem to think it
should be (to be able to affect at least).

>> And y'now what? Every manga company that puts out uncensored books
>> into the hands of an English speaking audience is a good thing, every
>> if they also put out a few undesirable books. Lots of stuff out there
>> doesn't get translated or scanlated, every manga company is a good
>> thing.
>
>Not if they're censorious, misleading, not accountable to their
>customers (including the middlemen between them and us), and
>hypocritical (Berserk apparently runs uncensored--so why not TT?).

There can also be more decisions made after publishing that a company
will or will not publish a manga in its original format. The company
does not Have to let everyone know what the outcomes of each meeting is
(even though it would be nice), but sometimes the company does make a
note around publishing time or even a little after why certain things
were done or not done that ran contrary to what they originally
promised, usually in the monthly pub's of the Diamond order catalog or
its counter-part(s) ordering publication catalog's.

*Chop chop chop*

>> What does it matter? If the japanese company was involved, you should
>> boycott the japanese company on principle and the author will starve!!!
>
>Guess what? What CMX did to TT cause a lot of people to buy the
>original Japanese tankouban. Do try again; you're failing miserably.

In more ways than one. Somehow I just can't see the author starving just
because they didn't get the assumed royalties from your purchase of
thier title in an after-market publication.

>> Fred Gallanger just signed a deal with CMX. Because we're pissed off
>> at Tenjo Tenge, let's all join hands and make him bankrupt!!!
>
>I don't like Megatokyo enough to want to buy it anyway. Besides, you
>might also notice that he's kept all his Megatokyo strips on his
>website. For free.

Try not to point out the obvious to him. You'll yank out the
under-pinning of his entire pointless platform of his tiny tirade that
almost nobody will notice or care about anyway.

--

Only the foolish and the dead do not retreat
from a battle they can not win.

Roger A. Young @__@

junior-kun

Mar 1, 2006, 11:41:31 AM3/1/06

Rob Kelk wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2006 15:38:25 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Rob Kelk wrote:

> >> <snip>

> >> CMX announced before shipping that Tenjo Tenge would be uncensored.
> >
> >And if they somehow tricked you into buying a censored copy maybe they
> >owe you your money back, but I'd imagine that the people complaining
> >aren't doing it because they lost ten bucks.
>
> I don't care whether it is or isn't censored; it isn't a title I would
> have bought anyway. I *do* care that the company advertised one thing
> but made available something else. That's misleading advertising, IMHO.

I don't think the same person is even in charge of CMX anymore! Does
the statute of limitations on your grudge have an experation date?

Almost every manga company has censored a title at one point or
another! This boycott idiocy would assure that we have no manga
market!

Tokyopop once ran a censored manga as part of it 100% line. Boycott
em!!!!!!!! No more manga!!!!!!!! For the good of fans everywhere!!!!!

junior-kun

Mar 1, 2006, 11:55:51 AM3/1/06

David Watson wrote:

> Boycott companies who have no respect for art, its fans and its fans'
> intelligence.

Hypocrits looking for an excuse to steal comics are the only true fans!
How lucky for you that CMX published a book that was censored. You
now have an excuse to steal hundreds of uncensored CMX titles!

Since every manga company has altered a book at one point or another,
you now have an excuse to steal everything! If you're consistent,
you'd be calling for the destruction of English language manga
translations in the name of rabid fanboy foolery! You're a real hero!

And like no japanese company ever censored a book before! Literature
must die for its own good!

No wonder you feel that CMX doesn't respect you! Who would?

>Thankfully that still leaves some companies I sling money
> at when I'm able to.

And since virtually every company has altered manga at some point or
another, you're a hypocrite to boot!

Rob Kelk

Mar 1, 2006, 4:27:06 PM3/1/06
On 1 Mar 2006 08:41:31 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com>
wrote:

What grudge?

>Almost every manga company has censored a title at one point or
>another!

But only CMX advertised a censored manga as uncensored.

> This boycott idiocy would assure that we have no manga
>market!

Which would you prefer: a boycott, or a court case for apparent
violation of the truth-in-advertising laws? *That* would put a crimp in
their capability to publish manga.

>Tokyopop once ran a censored manga as part of it 100% line. Boycott
>em!!!!!!!! No more manga!!!!!!!! For the good of fans everywhere!!!!!

Did they advertise it as uncensored? If not, then what does that have
to do with what we're discussing?

junior-kun

Mar 2, 2006, 1:47:14 AM3/2/06

Not really. I'd imagine worst comes to worse they'd have to give some
people their money back.

I highly doubt that had any malicious intent when they announced the
book would be run uncensored, more likely they planned to run it
uncensored but ended up changing their mind or an order came from
higher up the corporate hiearchy.

> >Tokyopop once ran a censored manga as part of it 100% line. Boycott
> >em!!!!!!!! No more manga!!!!!!!! For the good of fans everywhere!!!!!
>
> Did they advertise it as uncensored? If not, then what does that have
> to do with what we're discussing?

What you are discussing. My original response was to the guy
apparently looking for an excuse to steal some comics.

David Watson

Mar 2, 2006, 3:05:03 AM3/2/06
junior-kun wrote:
> What you are discussing. My original response was to the guy
> apparently looking for an excuse to steal some comics.

I have no more responses to the guy looking for any excuse to troll a
newsgroup.

Rob Kelk

Mar 2, 2006, 6:51:29 PM3/2/06
On 1 Mar 2006 22:47:14 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com>
wrote:

That wasn't a yes/no question. Again, which would you prefer?

>I highly doubt that had any malicious intent when they announced the
>book would be run uncensored, more likely they planned to run it
>uncensored but ended up changing their mind or an order came from
>higher up the corporate hiearchy.

It doesn't matter what their intent was. What matters is what they
actually did: advertise one thing, then ship something else.

>> >Tokyopop once ran a censored manga as part of it 100% line. Boycott
>> >em!!!!!!!! No more manga!!!!!!!! For the good of fans everywhere!!!!!
>>
>> Did they advertise it as uncensored? If not, then what does that have
>> to do with what we're discussing?
>
>What you are discussing.

I'm discussing what we've been discussing all along: the lack of a
particular product advertised by the publisher.

> My original response was to the guy
>apparently looking for an excuse to steal some comics.

I implied this earlier in the thread: Please read the copyright laws
before you use that word again.

(I'll make it easy for you - pick the one that applies where you live:
<http://www.cric.or.jp/cric_e/index.html>
<http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/>
<http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880048_en_1.htm>
<http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-42/index.html>