[Ranma][FanFic] Biker 1/2 chapter 12

Calum Wallace

Mar 28, 2001, 8:06:48 AM3/28/01
LEGALISTIC SHIT and RANT
Oh. So it's Ranma 1/2? Well, it's still not my fault.

Words in "<this>" kind of brackets are spoken in Cantonese.

Chapter 12: The Canine One
'Grant to me a second skin and teach me everything' - Moonspell, "Second
Skin"

************************************

Kou Loun watched quietly as Mortise walked away. His parting words still
rung through her head.
"Don't mess with Ranma Saotome or I'll have to do something about you."
She clenched and unclenched her teeth. How dare that little shit order her
around? But he had a point. In a protracted fight he could easily rip her to
shreds.
This called for subtlety. She finished her coffee and returned to her truck.
Next stop - Joketsuzo. Plots to plot, lackies to command.

************************************

Nabiki glared at the curl of smoke coming from the ashtray. What the hell
had posessed her to start smoking? She shook her head and grabbed her
laptop. Once again she went over the information.
Bad, bad, bad. 100 percent bad. She switched the computer off and trudged
downstairs.
In the living room she found Ranma arguing with Akane in muted tones.
Something about what Mortise had said. She shook her head again. She had
more important things to worry about than her brother-in-law's enemies.
Ranma looked up from his argument. "Hey there, Nabiki. How ya doin, sis?"
Nabiki sighed. "Could be worse." He didn't need to know. Bad enough that she
had to worry about this crap.
"Nabiki, that's bullshit. I dunno what but somethin's freakin' ya out
bigstyle."
"Ranma, it's business stuff."
"Someone givin' my brilliant sister-in-law trouble? Want me ta work 'em
over?"
"This isn't something that can be solved that way - but thanks for the
offer." She smiled. It was good to know someone would support her.
"Aw, no bother, huh sis?"
Nabiki nodded and picked up a beer. "One thing's certain - I need a drink."
"Need ta unwind, huh? Look, Nabs - if ya ever need my help don't hesitate ta
ask. If ya need ta unload talk ta me. I'll keep it private, huh?" He leant
over and hugged her. "Yer my pretty sister in law. I like ya."
Nabiki blushed. "Aw, you're just trying to make me feel better."
"Sis, I hate seein' people I like lookin' that fucked up."
Nabiki smiled again. She didn't know why, but she liked Ranma too. The first
time she'd seen him she'd thought he was some big thick jock.
Ranma was anything but that. What had made her hesitate to use him for
financial gains she didn't know. But she was glad of it.
She still didn't know why, but somehow he seemed worth far more as a friend
than as a source of money. Hell, he was the first person she had met in
years who liked her. It was a completely unfamiliar feeling, being liked.
And trusted.
Maybe Ranma trusted her because he couldn't imagine her doing anything bad?
No, that couldn't be it. Maybe Ranma could tell who she really was.
One thing she had realised over the last few weeks was that the Ice Queen of
Furinkan High was not truly Nabiki Tendo. She wasn't sure who she really
was, but she wasn't the heartless bitch everyone thought she was.
Well, apart from Ranma. And his friends. What was it with them? They always
seemed to find the best in anyone.
Maybe because that was the first thing they looked for.

************************************

Mortise watched Kou Loun drive away then turned to Ranko.
"Well, good riddance to bad rubbish."
"What was that old goat's problem anyway?"
"Are you really sure you want to know? That old bat is a complete bitch."
"Yeah, I really want to know. She's obviousley involved in my family
somehow."
"Well, I suppose she is. She is the Matriarch of Joketsuzo - the village
Xian Pu comes from. In fact Xian Pu is her heir. The Amazons of Joketsuzo
traditionaly place no value whatsoever in men except as sources of sperm."
Ranko made a face. "Sound's like they're stupid."
"Yes, you could call them that. They're very sexist only not in the usual
manner. It would make a change if they weren't so extreme about it. Hell, in
their village men are little more than slaves. And that's the lucky ones. I
think that's why Xian Pu decided not to return - like to hazard a guess what
would happen if someone tried to treat Ranma Saotome like that?"
Ranko nodded thoughtfully. "Yeah... it wouldn't exactly be pretty."
"You could put it that way. I doubt there would be much left of the
village."
"Um, there's more to it than that. Shampoo said she hates Joketsuzo."
"She did? Well, that explains that. But - why?"
"She's got a brother and they treat him like shit."
"That's to be expected. Which doesn't mean she has to like it. In fact, all
the more respect for her that she doesn't like it."
Ranko nodded. "Say - we've been thinking about trying to get her brother out
of there. Do you think you could help?"
Mortise smiled. "A chance to piss Kou Loun off and get away with it? Great!
Come on, let's talk to Ranma, Xian Pu and Akane - we need a plan."
They headed inside. Ranma and Akane were chatting with Nabiki.
"Where's Xian PU?"
"Oh, yer back. She's doin' a shit."
"Right. Myself and Ranko were discussing the possibility of retreiving Xian
Pu's brother from Joketsuzo."
"Well, we better wait fer her, huh?"
Mortise nodded. "Of course. Say, did Ratvespa show up while I was away?"
"Nah... Um, did ya really mean he's a werewolf?"
"Yes. I did."
"So - why not just use silver on th' fuckhead?"
"Oh, that's the other kind of werewolf. Loup-garou as opposed to Amerai. In
Loup-garou it's a disease, known as lycanthropy. In Amerai it's genetic,
inherited from parent to child. If you parents are Amerai you are Amerai.
Amerai can sucesfully crossbreed with humans, but their genetics are
stronger than humans. The children of such a union will turn out as Amerai,
nine times out of ten."
"Er - how come there's humans around?"
"Simply because there are over a hundred humans for every Amerai. The Amerai
are not widespread enough to have completely absorbed the human gene pool."
"Okay... Look, how do we know yer not bullshittin' us?"
"At present you have no way of knowing and I have no way of proving my
claim. Just take my word for it. Please?"
Ranma paused for a moment then nodded.
"Okay. I will. If this is true we need all th' forewarnin' we can get. It
sounds crazy but then so does a curse what makes ya change sex, huh?"
Mortise nodded. "Thankyou. Yes, it does sound crazy. That's exactly what I
thought when I was first told - before I first saw Ratvespa shapeshift.
Before I first met Hanovan."
"Hanovan?"
"Hanovan guards the historic texts of the Amerai. She's one of the highest
officials in their society. She looks like she's fifteen but she's actually
over five hundred years old - an Amerai who has shapeshifted ceases to age."
"Just like that?"
"Yes. Again it sounds crazy. I'm told it's something to do with ki."
"Look, what do we do at th' full moon when he goes apeshit?"
"Ranma, that is another myth. An Amerai will start growing more hair than is
good for him or her during the week of his or her birth lunar phase.
Loup-garou go crazy on the night of the full moon. Amerai only lose it
during times of extreme stress. If they are completely posessed by a single
emotion they will become unable to resist expressing that emotion in the
most direct way possible."
Ranma whistled. "Ouch."
"Yeah. Wolfsbane stops that too. Hell, while under the effect of wolfsbane
an Amerai is techically human. Well, except they still regenerate."
"Well, that's useful ta know."
"Yes. It is."
Shampoo walked into the room. "Oh, hello Mortise. You is back. Where
Matriarch?"
"She took off. I believe she is in the process of returning to China."
Shampoo gaped. "You manage for to scare HER off? How?"
"There's more to me than meets the eye... It's entirely a matter of
contacts. I threatened her with freinds of mine she really does not want to
annoy."
"Them must be monsters! Kou Loun be a monster!"
"Hey, there's worse things than an Amazon Elder. There's people who scare
the hell out of her. People I know and like."
"You must be have much powerful friends!"
"Yeah, I do. Hell, one of my mates is a living god. You've heard of Lord
Saffron?"
"You is calling Lord Saffron a friend?!?!"
"Yeah, he used to owe me one. In the process of his paying me back we became
firm friends. He may be a spoilt brat but he does have feelings. He's not an
easy person to befriend but once befriended he is very loyal. And I like and
respect him despite all of his faults. Hey, nobody's perfect. Now, myself
and Ranko were dicussing the possibility of retreiving you brother from
Joketsuzo."
"You was?"
"Yes. And we need a plan."

************************************

Ratvespa looked over the bikes. Ranma's Gixer, Genma's V8, Mortise's hog and
a pair of ramshackle and unpainted machines that looked CB500 based. He
frowned and headed for the door.
Time to try the direct approach. He kicked the door in.
"PREPARE TO DIE SAOTOME!"
Ranma grabbed a handgun off the table. "So ya came back fer more, huh? You
always were fuckin' stupid."
"Ha! You're the one who's stupid, human! You messed with me!"
Ranma snorted and let fly with the handgun. It crashed twice.
Blood appeared on Ratvespa's jacket. "Idiot! You think that's gonna - huh?
Wolfsbane! You bastard!"
"Get out of here, fuckhead. An' don't come back. You fuck with me again an'
I'll hafta rip off yer fuckin' head." Ranma pocketed the gun and went into a
defensive stance. "So are you gonna take th' free advice?"
Ratvespa gritted his teeth. "Care to step outside and say that again?"
"Ya wanna beatin', huh? Well, ya came ta th' right man!"
Ratvespa edged backwards out the door. "You're going to regret this!"
"Am I? Yer th' one who tried ta kill my wife!"
The whole crew followed Ranma out the door to watch.
"And I may kill the bitch yet!"
Shampoo let out an angry hiss. She grabbed the gun out of Ranma's pocket and
pumped Ratvespa full of lead.

************************************

Ranma shook his head. "I can't believe he walked away from that after five
minutes. How th' fuck could he keep movin' with all that lead inside of
him?"
Mortise snorted. "Amerai are not easy people to kill. I think I'll contact
Hanovan and see if she can get Ratvespa off your backs. She owes me one - I
saved her life a couple of times."
Ranma snorted and continued stuffing hollowpoint handgun slugs full of
wolfsbane. "Suppose she can't. What then?"
"What then? Then we give him one last chance. He messes with us again and I
kill him. He is not immune to drowning. My curse form is immune to drowning.
Eel blood, remember? I'm the only one who could hold him underwater long
enough."
Ranma made a face. "I hope it don't haveta come ta that."
Akane looked round. "Say - I don't suppose you know why he calls himself
Ratvespa, do you?"
Mortise snorted. "Oh, he hates his real name. Shinji Moroboshi."
"That's his real name? I knew th' Moroboshi part. It don't suit him."
"No. It doesn't."
"Gotten any ideas how we're gonna get Shampoo's brother outta there?"
"I have a very simple idea. Xian Pu, write a letter to him explaining what
is going on. I will deliver this letter and - if he agrees - help him
escape. Sound good?"
Shampoo, Ranma, Akane and Ranko all nodded. Nabiki frowned.
"Deceptively simple. I know a fair bit about Joketsuzo." She shot Shampoo an
embaressed grin. "I always carry out a background check on anyone who get's
involved with my family. I needed to find out if you were for real."
Shampoo nodded. "Is cool. I is understand."
"Thanks. At any rate, the standard description of Joketsuzo is 'extremely
dangerous'. No offence, Mortise - but can you handle it?"
Mortise nodded. "Easily - with a little help from my friends."
Nabiki nodded thoughtfully. "I should be able to arrange transport and a
little backup if you like."
Mortise frowned then shook his head. "Thanks for the offer, but I want to do
this my way. I plan to ask a couple of my friends to help - they can easily
provide enough backup. I've done similar jobs before. Hell, I once rescued
Lord Saffron's girlfriend from the Chinese government. They had her in a
research lab and were gonna cut her up. I got her out of there and home. He
really liked me after that. Before that he didn't know me."
Shampoo whistled. "You what? His girlfriend?"
"Didn't you know? He's in love with Kimaa. The poor girl hasn't figured it
but he adores her - he'd do anything for her. When shall we go ahead with
this rescue operation?"
Nabiki frowned. "I suggest you sleep on the plan, Mortise. See if you can
find any faults with it in the morning, huh?"
Mortise nodded. "A good idea. Tomorrow we'll discuss it again."
Ranma grinned. "Right. I got two bikes ta finish. Anyone gonna join me?"
Akane glanced at Shampoo. "Shall we continue doing that training?"
"Why not."
Nabiki grinned. "I'm going to check out some stuff online. I'll see if I can
get more infomation about Joketsuzo."
"Er - how come there be internet stuff for to do with Joketsuzo?"
"Shampoo, you can find absolutely anything online. It's just a case of
finding where to look. Hell, I found plans for nuclear bombs one time!"
Ranma snorted. "Well don't try ta build one, huh? I don't wanna be nuked."
"You really think I'd be stupid enough?"
"Nope. I wuz pullin' yer leg."
Mortise stretched. "I'll see you folks later."
"Yeah, see ya man." Ranma sauntered out to the bikes he was building and
resumed work. Ranko knelt down beside her own bike and continued trying to
make it road legal.
Ranma grabbed a can of matte black engine paint. Ranko grinned at him.
"Only one colour for a bike, huh?"
"Yeah, th' Henry Ford philosophy o' motor paint. Any colour ya like as long
as it's black. Choice o' flat black or gloss black."
"And flat black wins every time."
"Yeah... Actually, I'm gonna give onea these a camo job."
"Say, have you got a spare taillight?"
Ranma nodded. "What shape're ya wantin'?"
"I don't care as long as it works."
He grinned and tossed her a round taillight. "It's a good 'un 'cos it runs,
huh?"
"Yup. And if the Slime don't chase you for it all the better." She patted
her bike afectionately. "Man I love this old girl!"
Ranma nodded. "I know how ya feel. When d'ya get her?"
"Oh, a couple of years ago. I bought her from a scrapyard for five hundred
yen - she kicked over first try despite the state she was in. And she's
never let me down once. She's a great little bike."
Ranma smiled. "Yeah. Them old WD Hogs are terrific machines. They sure don't
build 'em like they usta."
"Nah. It's like modern machines are built to break down."
"Yeah... but I can fix that!"

************************************

Later that evening over the dinner table Genma decided to spring some news
on Ranko.
"Ah, I have decided that you must attend school, Ranko."
Ranko snorted. "Oh yeah? You and who's army?"
"Sis, ya gotta have an education."
"You mean you're on his side?"
"Yeah. Don't worry, nobody fucks with me at school. An' Teach is a great
teacher. He's really cool even if he is a fat bastard."
Ranko made a face. "Oh wow. That is all I need."
"Hey, chill out!"
"I hate school."
"Why's that?"
Ranko shook her head. "I just hate it, okay?" She shot Genma a nasty look.
"Yeah, but there's gotta be more reason than that."
"Oh, forget about it, willya!"
Ranma rolled his eyes. "No need ta bite me head off!"
"One thing's certain - NOBODY'S getting me in a school uniform!"
"You an' all th' rest o' us, sis."
"Huh?"
"You really think I'm gonna wear some gormless uniform? What'd I look like
ridin' ta school like that?"
Genma nodded. "Good. That's solved then. I have everything organised."
"You fat dickwad!"

************************************

Genma sighed and sat down to finish his letter. The youngsters had all gone
to bed. Only he and Soun were still up.
Or so he thought.
"Well, an unexpected development indeed, eh Tendo?"
"I'll say. Kou Loun, huh? How did that boy manage to scare her off?"
"You heard what he told Ranma."
"At least he held back on telling the kids all the details."
"Yes, we must be grateful for small mercies."
"I think it's getting towards time to explain to them."
"Akira said to leave it to him, remember?"
Soun nodded. "Yes, but I don't have to like it."
"Okay, okay. I'll ask him to come over."
"You sure that's a good idea?"
"I think that not asking would be a very bad idea, Tendo. The kids are
getting suspicious. And young Nabiki has smelt a very big rat."
"You think she's figured it out?"
"I don't know, but if she hasn't she's getting very close."
>From the stairwell Nabiki blinked a few times. How the hell had Genma worked
that out?

th-th-th-that's all, folks!

NOTES
How indeed...
Next - more schooltime, more weird revelations and more plotting.
C&C to Dog...@ratbike.org please, I swear I'll get around to that ISP
change soon...

GLOSSARY OF TERMS
Ratbike - A motorbike made to look as fucked up and unroadworthy as possible
while still being street legal. Normally painted flat black.
Honda CG125 - Small single - cylinder 4-stroke road bike. Not very much of
anything but supremely reliable and dirt cheap. It's reliability stems from
having very little to go wrong and a low - revving 4-stroke engine.
Honda Fireblade - Insane Honda sportsbike. Mad but beginning to show it's
age.
Supercharger - A pump driven off the crank that forces more air into the
engine thus forcing it to run faster.
Nitrous oxide - Laughing gas. A petrol - nitrous mix burns faster than a
petrol - air mix therefore produces more horsepower and more wear in the
engine.
Top yoke - The yokes are two pieces of metal that hold the front forks
together and to the bike. The top yoke is the upper one. Known as triple
clamps in the US.
Gixer - Slang for a Suzuki GSXR (one of the craziest bikes built).
Chain lube - Motorbike chain lubrication oil.
Header tank - Tank that contains the spare water for the radiator on a
sealed cooling system as found in most cars.
Gasflowing - trimming off excess metal from inside the cylinder heads to aid
the burn rate of fuel within the engine. Gives a small horsepower boost.
Final drive - the drive chain that goes from the gearbox to the back wheel
and the cogs (final drive sprockets) that it runs on.
Conrod - The bit of metal that connects the piston to the crankshaft.
Alternator - Higher tech version of a generator.
Kill switch - The engine's 'off' switch. Turns off power to the ignition.
Lid / skidlid - Slang for a crash helmet.
250 Superdream - CB250. The next up the Honda model range from the CG125 and
just a bigger version of the same.
500 Superdream - CB500. A CB250 with a bigger bore and heavier frame.
Engine clicking - An internal combustion engine heats up when run. Run it
hard and it heats up more, then when you switch off the engine will start
emitting a series of sharp clicks as the metal cools and contracts.
Stocker - unmodified factory - built vehicle.
Binned - crashed. Normally means written off.
Steering damper - a long, thin shock absorber that fits between the forks
and the frame. Helps steady the steering.