[Ranma][FanFic] The Least One Can Do - Part 9

OneShot

May 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/11/97

Jeffrey "OneShot" Wong

Ranma 1/2: The least one can do 9

Editor's notes:You must read the first eight parts in order to get what's
going on. Otherwise, you'll just end up confused.

(Opening scene: We are in front of Furinkan high. The courtyard is replete
with students, all of them rushing toward their class. It is still
Wednesday morning. Class is about to start. From the right, we see Ranma
enter the scene, taking his time, not a care in the world.)

Ranma:(Thinking to himself)Man, what a great morning.(Remembers Akane
splashing him with cold water)Well, almost a great morning.(Thinks back to
that kiss)Man, I can't believe Shori kissed me. God, that felt good.

(Ranma had this warm feeling inside of him, like nothing could go wrong. He
continus on towards his class, stopping in front of the school when Kuno
steps out through the front door.)

Kuno:I, Tatewaki Kuno, blue lightning of Furinkan High, shall rid this world
of such evil.(Points bokken at Ranma)Sorceror, I will vanquish thee.

(Kuno charges Ranma, only to get punted into orbit by a well placed kick.)

Ranma:Man, doesn't he ever give up.(Runs into school)

(Ranma makes it to class at just the right moment. A second later, and he
would have been in serious trouble. He quickly gets into his seat as class
starts. He looks out the window in a dreamlike gaze, wondering how Shori was
doing, still remembering the taste of her lips on his. In the background,
the teacher was going through the attendance list.)

Teacher:Ranma Saotome.

Ranma:Here.

(The teacher reads a couple more names before coming to Akane's.)

Teacher:Akane Tendo.

(There was silence. Akane wasn't there to answer. Ranma immediately looks
toward Akane's desk, realizing that she hadn't been in class the whole
time. He wanted to kick himself for not having noticed that. Had his mind
been on Shori _that_ much? Ranma immediately turns towards a fellow
student.)

Ranma:Where's Akane?

Student:I haven't seen her. And how would I know where she is? You're her
fiancee. Is she sick or somethin'?

(Upon hearing those words, Ranma's heart skipped a beat. Was Akane sick? She
certainly didn't look sick when she splashed him with cold water, Ranma
thought sourly.)

Ranma:She probably forgot somethin' and went back to get it.

(That's what he told himself, made himself try to believe. But deep down
inside, he was dreading the thought that Akane might actually be sick. Why
was he worried anyway? It wasn't as if he.....cared for her. Or was it?)

(The morning goes by uneventful, the teacher putting half the class to sleep
with his lecture on god-knows-what. Ranma would've been asleep a long time
ago, but he kept thinking about Akane. As the morning progress, Ranma
decides that if Akane really was sick at home, he'd pay her a visit when
lunch comes around. When the lunch bell rings, Ranma races out of the
classroom, heading straight for home, stopping once to pummel Kuno in the
courtyard again. Upon reaching home, Ranma enters the house, noticing the
unconscious Ryoga on the livingroom couch. Soun and Genma are nowhere to
be seen. They were probably playing shogi in back.)

Ranma:(Noticing Ryoga)Hmm....I wonder why he's here. Oh well, who cares....

(Ranma heads up the stairs, just as Kasumi was on her way down.)

Kasumi:Ranma? What're you doin' here? Shouldn't you be in school also?

Ranma:Also?

Kasumi:Well, Akane didn't goto school today.

Ranma:Is she upstairs?

Kasumi:Hai. She said she had a stomach ache.

Ranma:Is it all right if I go see her?

Kasumi:Well, you better not. She's sleeping. She's been sleeping since this
morning.

Ranma:Oh. Okay. I guess I can see her later.(Turns to head back down the
stairs and realizes the unconscious Ryoga)Why's Ryoga like that?

Kasumi:I don't really know. He seemed a bit pale when I met Shori. I guess
he was just exhausted.

Ranma:Shori?!

Kasumi:Do you know her? She said she was a friend of yours....well, more
like a friend of the female you.

Ranma:(Breathing a bit of relief)Oh.

Kasumi:Is something the matter?

Ranma:(Nervously)Oh...n-nothin'....n-nothin' at all.

Kasumi:Well, anyway, you should get back to school now. We wouldn't want you
to be late for class now.

Ranma:I-I guess you're right. Bye.

(Ranma leaves the house, thoughts racing through his head.)

Ranma:(Thinking to himself)Shori told me earlier that she stopped by a
friend's house. Was she talkin' about me? Why was she there in the first
place? Oh man, did Akane find out? Is that why she was sick? I really hope
not. I better goto Shori's school to find out what happened. But first, I
hafta find some cold-

(Before Ranma had a chance to finish his last hought, he gets splashed with
water by a little old lady standing outside who was using a water bucket to
wash the sidewalk. Sighing to himself, Ranma, now in his female form, heads
off towards Shori's school)

(We watch as Ranma runs off into he horizon, disappearing around a corner.
With Ranma out of sight, the camera pans 180, resting on the Tendo home way
off in the far off distance. The camera zooms forward to show us a close up
of the house, raising up to shoot through a second story window, which leads
to Akane's room. Inside, Akane was waking up. She seems refreshed, as if she
had a good night's sleep. She steps up to her full-length mirror to see if
her hair was okay. Upon seeing her relection, she realizes that her face was
still moist....from her tears. Upon realizing that, she remembers seeing
Ranma with that other girl. Tears start to welt up again, she realizing that
Ranma being with another girl was beyond her control, she realizing that it
was probably her fault that drove him to that girl. Then, just as she was
about to burst into tears again, there was a knock at the door.)

Akane:(Wiping her tears cleanly away)Come in. There door's open.

(To Akane's surprise, Ryoga opens the door. He stands in the doorway, a bit
hesitant about entering. He had regained consciouness a short time ago and
was trying to get out of the house.)

Akane:Ryoga, what're you doin' here?

Ryoga:(Nervously)Um....well....I'm kinda lost.

(Akane laughs a bit. She knew Ryoga had a bad sense of direction. She gets
up and walks up to him)

Akane:Here(Takes hold of his arm)I'll help you with your way out.

Ryoga:(Nervously)Um...uh...arigato.

(We are now in front of Shori's school. Ranma, in his female form, casually
walks into the courtyard. A lot of boys notice her. Some even try and hit on
her, only to be brushed off with a deadly stare. Ranma waits there for a
moment)

Ranma-chan:(Talking to himself)C'mon Shori. Where are you?

(Shori is seen as she exits the school. She's with her friends, Akemi and
Reia. She notices her red-haired friend. Shori waves to him as Ranma
reciprocates. Ranma guestures that he would like to talk to Shori)

Shori:(Talking to her friends)Can you hold on for a sec? Ranko wants to
speak to me.

(She walks up to Ranma, a smile on her lips)

Shori:Hiya, Ranko, how're ya doing? Didja get your clothes and wallet back?

Ranma-chan:Nani?

Shori:Yeah. I stopped by your house earlier today.

Ranma-chan:(Sweating bullets)You did?

Shori:Yeah. I met a boy named Ryoga. He said you had already left for
school so he told me that he would delieve them for you. I handed him your
things. Is he your boyfriend?

Ranma-chan:Um.....yeah.(Thinking to himself)Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Why did
I say that?!

Shori:(Continuing)I'd like to meet him. He seems like a nice guy. Anyway, I
also met this woman. I think her name is Kasumi because I remember hearing
Ryoga call her that.

Ranma-chan:You did?

Shori:We didn't really talk though. Is she your sister?

Ranma-chan:Um....yeah(Thinking to himself)Oh man, what am I saying?!

Shori:That's nice to hear because she invited me to come to dinner sometime
in the future.

Ranma-chan:She did?!

Shoir:Yeah. Is there something wrong with that? I thought she was being
nice. I accepted of course since I figured it'd be nice to hang out again
together.

Ranma-chan:Um...you can't. Um...she cooks for our family, and she's very
busy. I wouldn't want her to work harder than she already does. I hope...you
can understand.

Shori:I understand.

(Ranma sighs. Disaster adverted)

Shori:Um, are you doing anything tonight?

Ranma-chan:Um, not really. Why?

Shori:How would you like to come to dinner tonight? I know my parents would
love to meet you.

Ranma-chan:Sure. I would like that.

Shori:(Turning around to leave)I'll see you at my house at around 8.

Ranma-chan:Sure.

Shori:(Right before heading off with her firends)And don't forget to bring
your boyfriend.

Ranma-chan:Nani?! Chotto matte!!!

(But it was too late. Shori was already gone. She had disappeared around the
back of the school.)

Ranma-chan:Oh man, now what?(Sighs)I'll worry about that later. I better
talk to Ryoga and hear his side of the story.

(Ranma-chan runs off toward home. He reachs there after a short moment. But
before he had the chance to open the front gate and enter, he heard some
voices from behind it. He puts his ear against the gate and listens)

Ryoga:T-thanks, Akane. I-I really a-appreciate your help.

Akane:It's no problem. I'm glad I could help.

Ranma-chan:(To herself)What the hell are they talkin' about?!(Continues
listening)

Ryoga:W-well, I better go now. Arigato.

Akane:Sayonora.

(Ranma realizes that the door was going to open. Not wanting to seem like a
eavesdropper, Ranma quickly jumped behind some nearby bushes. He watches as
the gate opens and Ryoga emerges. He could feel this anger welting up in him
as he sees Ryoga talk to Akane for a short while before leaving. Akane
didn't look at all sick, and that bugged Ranma. Did she stay home
deliberately so she could be with Ryoga? Once Akane disappeared behind the
gate, Ranma quickly jumped out of the bushes to follow Ryoga.)

Ryoga:(To himself)Wow, I can't believe Akane actually helped me out.

Ranma-chan:Hey, Ryoga.

(Ryoga turns to face Ranma.)

Ryoga:What do you want? Do you have any idea what I went through?

Ranma-chan:I'm pretty sure I do. I talked to Shori earlier. So what
happened?

Ryoga:What happened?! I'll tell you what happened. When Shori showed up, I
told her that you left so I had to offer to take your stuff for you. When I
did, Kasumi shows up. I tried the best that I could to hiding who Shori was,
but I don't remember much. All I remember is that everything went black
after I heard Shori accepting Kasumi's invitaion to dinner. The next thing I
knew, I was in the livingroom.

Ranma-chan:Don't worry about it. I managed to convince Shori not to come to
dinner.

Ryoga:So what are you going to do now?

Ranma-chan:I'm goin' to dinner with her. And you're comin' with me.

Ryoga:Nani?!

Ranma-chan:(Kawaii-eyed)She invited me to dinner and I kinda accepted by
accident. I also kinda said yes when she asked if you were my boyfriend.
Now she wants me to bring my boyfriend with me to dinner.

Ryoga:Nani!?! I'm not going to do it.

Ranma-chan:C'mon. I need you to help me out.

Ryoga:Why?!? Why should I help some two-timing cad like you?!?

Ranma-chan:(Seriously)Because I....think I love Shori....and you can have
Akane.

Ryoga:...................

Ranma-chan:Don't you think it's already hard enough askin' you for help?! I
want to do this, and you're the only one who can help. I want to be with
her.

Ryoga:..................

Ranma-chan:Okay, to let you know that I'm serious about my feelings, you
can go out with Akane. I won't interfere. I promise.

Ryoga:Y-you would do that for me?

Ranma-chan:Hai. I know you already helped me out a lot by not telling Akane,
but just do this favor for me. I'll even help you out with the date if you
need it.

Ryoga:Um......do you mean it?

Ranma-chan:Yeah.

Ryoga:Fine. I accept.

(Fade to black)

<end for now>

Well...there's yet another installation on my series. First off, I'd
like to say that these characters were created by Rumiko Takahashi(except
Shori) and I would never infringe on any of her works. Please e-mail me if
you have comments. (No "You suck" or the like please) Keep in mind that I
like writing developement stories. I'm sorry for any spelling or grammatical
mistakes. I hope you're enjoy this series.

P.S.-If you want any of my other fanfics, just ask.

Jeffrey "OneShot" Wong

<Bye>

-OneShot
Jeffrey Keith Wong: one...@ascensionet.com
If you're interested in reading all my fanfics, check:
http://www.rit.edu/~jkw7063/fanfic/index.htm
http://www.ascensionet.com/oneshot/index.htm
The latter site has been updated recently.
"There are two types of roses in this world: One is
where you stop to smell. The other is reading this"