[Eva/Ranma][FanFic] For the Sake of the Children - Chapter 7

Anand Rao

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

For the Sake of the Children

Chapter 7: Goodbye

By: Anand Rao

Ranma 1/2 is owned by Rumiko Takahashi
Neon Genesis Evangelion is owned by Gainax

_____________________________

Ranma stood in the center of the dojo, his palms together and arms raised to
his chest. His eyes were closed and he was breathing deeply and slowly.
His left leg was raised off the ground, hi knee bent and foot flush against
the inner thigh of his right leg. With each exhalation, Ranma's senses
expanded; his very being was in balance with life, and a sense of peace
coursed through his body. The oxygen-rich blood that flowed through his
brain gave him a heady feeling; he was completely relaxed.

The dojo door creaked open and Ranma slowly opened his eyes. "I'm sorry
Ranma-san, I didn't mean to disturb you," Asuka apologized.

"Hey, no problem. I was just finishing up anyway," Ranma replied, waving
off Asuka's apology.

"Uh, what is it that you're doing, exactly?" Asuka asked, stepping into the
dojo. Ranma released his arms and leg and walked towards Asuka.

"It's just a little meditation technique that I picked up in the Himalayas,"
Ranma replied.

"I thought that people did that sitting down; you know, with your legs
crossed," Asuka commented.

"There are lots of different styles of meditation," Ranma laughed. "You're
up early. Didn't ya sleep well?"

"Oh, I slept just fine!" Asuka hastily assured Ranma. "I always wake up
early. The mornings are too beautiful to just waste away in sleep, don't
you think?"

"I suppose. Although, at your age, I used ta sleep as much as I could!"
Ranma replied.

"I just happen to be more mature than most. . . people my age," Asuka
pointed out.

"That's true. I guess you'd have to be in order to pilot an Eva," Ranma
replied.

"That's not really a big deal. I was born to pilot an Eva!" Asuka
exclaimed.

"Not a big deal? You almost gave me a heart attack yesterday, Asuka. That
. . . thing nearly killed you," Ranma said.

"I wasn't in any real danger, after all, the Almighty Shinji was there to
save the day," Asuka replied bitterly.

"Jealous, huh?" Ranma asked, smirking lightly.

"Jealous? Of -him-? Please! Shinji's an idiot!" Asuka flared.

"You want to be the best Eva pilot around. You work harder and want it more
than anyone else; you've sacrificed more than anyone else has. So you get
angry and jealous of anyone who even comes close to threatening your
position, right?" Ranma asked, not unkindly.

"But I -am- the best! I -do- work the hardest!" Asuka protested, unable to
meet Ranma's gaze.

"I'm not sayin' that you're wrong, only that I understand," Ranma replied
gently.

"You do?" Asuka asked, looking up at him.

"Yeah. When I was a little older than you are now, I wanted to be the best
martial artist in the world. There wasn't anything I wouldn't do, a
technique I wouldn't try, in order to be the best. I was blind to a lot of
things though. Besides getting myself into all sorts of trouble, I also
alienated the people who were closest to me. After a while, I realized that
there are more important things in life than simply being the best," Ranma
replied.

"More important? Like what?" Asuka asked, honestly perplexed.

"Like friends and family," Ranma replied.

"I- I don't have any friends, and I don't have much of a family either,"
Asuka replied softly.

"Shinji, Rei, and Misato would be your friends; if you let them, so would
I," Ranma said, gently putting his hand on Asuka's shoulder.

"Really?" Asuka asked, smiling brightly.

"Sure. Now, why don't we practice some of the moves I showed you yesterday.
After all, you don't want Rei to be better than you, right?" Ranma said,
grinning widely.

"Right!" Asuka agreed fiercely as Ranma stepped back away from her.
"Ranma-san? When did you -stop- wanting to be the best?"

"Stop? Who said I ever stopped?" Ranma asked.

"But you said-"

"I said being the best wasn't my main priority anymore. I never said that I
stopped trying," Ranma pointed out.

"How do you balance things out? How do you know when you've gone to far?"
Asuka asked.

"That's kinda hard to explain. Hmmm.... Let me put it this way; if Ranko
was never born, I'd be traveling around the world right now, challenging the
best fighters I could find, learning from the best masters anywhere. To put
it bluntly, I'd probably be a much better martial artist today if I wasn't a
father. But, I don't regret one moment of the past fourteen years, because,
well, I love my daughter more than I love the Art," Ranma explained.

"I guess I understand, but I don't have that. There just -isn't- anything I
love more than piloting Unit 02!" Asuka exclaimed.

"That's fine, just don't blind yourself to new opportunities, okay?" Ranma
suggested.

Asuka smiled and nodded her head. (Don't worry, I plan to make use of every
opportunity I can get,) she thought determinedly.

"So you kids have anything planned today?" Ranma asked, cutting into the
stack of pancakes in front of him.

"Yeah, Asuka an' I are planning on going to the mall," Ranko replied. After
everyone else had woken up, Ranma, with Shinji's help, made breakfast.
Pancakes had been an easy choice; they were easy, fast, and tasty.

"We have some shopping to do!" Asuka exclaimed. She grinned happily then
glanced at Ranma. "Say, uh, Rei? Shinji? Why don't the two of you come
along? It. . . it might be fun," Asuka continued hesitantly.

"M-me? You want me to come with you?" Shinji asked, completely shocked.

"Yeah! Is there something wrong with that?" Asuka snapped.

"Well, I-"

"I think it's a great idea, Shinji! After all, there are worse things in
life then being seen around town in the company of three pretty girls,"
Ranma pointed out, winking slyly.

"Uh, okay. Sure, there are some new S-DATs that I wanted to check out
anyway," Shinji replied.

"What about you Rei-chan?" Ranko asked. Rei, as usual, had remained quite
throughout the conversation. In fact, Ranma couldn't remember her saying
anything past 'Good morning'. The albino girl looked up as Ranko addressed
her.

"No thank you," she replied, quietly as ever.

"What's wrong Wondergirl? Are you too good for us?" Asuka demanded. Ranma
glanced at her reproachfully, shaking his head slightly. Asuka blushed then
concentrated on cutting into her pancakes.

"Rei, if you don't mind, I'd like go over some of the moves I taught you
yesterday. I think you really have a knack for learning martial arts. I
need to go talk to a friend this morning, but after I come back, we'll get
to work. How about it?" Ranma asked, smiling at Rei inquiringly.

"All right," Rei replied, nodding her head slowly.

"Great! Well, I'll see you guys in a little while then," Ranma said,
getting up from the dining table.

"Otosan, where are you going?" Ranko asked.

"Ucchan wanted to see me, remember?" Ranma replied.

"Oh yeah."

"See ya in a few hours, and don't spend too much money at the mall today!"
Ranma warned.

Ranko sighed as her father left the room. (Oh well, so much for getting
that new swimsuit today,) she thought dejectedly.

"Where -is- Ranma going?" Asuka asked.

"Oh, he's gonna see my Aunt Ukyo. I was at her place yesterday during the
Angel attack. She that she wanted to speak to Otosan about something,"
Ranko replied.

"This is one of Ranma's. . . childhood friends, right?" Asuka asked, her
right eye twitching slightly.

"Yeah, she owns a restaurant and makes the best okinomiyaki I've ever
tasted!" Ranko exclaimed.

"A restaurant, eh? Maybe we can go there for lunch after we finish
shopping," Asuka suggested.

"That's a great idea! Aunt Ukyo is really cool! I'm sure you'll like her,"
Ranko replied.

"Yeah, I'm sure," Asuka muttered.

Ranma stood in front of Ucchan's and knocked on the front door. It was
still fairly early in the morning, and the restaurant was still closed.
Ranma had considered visiting during lunch, but decided that some
uninterrupted time alone with Ukyo would be better. The door opened,
revealing the restaurant's owner, who gave Ranma a strained smile. "Good
morning, Ranchan. Thank you for coming," Ukyo greeted.

"Mornin' Ucchan, what's going on?" Ranma asked as he walked into the
restaurant. Ukyo walked behind the grill and glanced nervously at Ranma.

"Hungry?" she asked.

"Always," Ranma replied, grinning widely. Ukyo deftly poured some batter on
the grill and silently watched it sizzle. "Ya know, I'd like to thank you
for watching over Ranko yesterday. I really appreciate it," Ranma said.

"Glad to do it Ranchan," Ukyo replied, "I love her as if she were my own."

"I know you do. I don't know what I would have done all these years without
you, Shampoo, or my parents," Ranma admitted.

"The great Ranma Saotome, admitting that he needs help?" Ukyo asked
jokingly. She smiled lightly and playfully tapped Ranma's nose.

"I have no false pride where my daughter is concerned," Ranma replied
seriously.

"I know," Ukyo replied, her smile faltering. "I think that lack of pride,
more than anything, shows how much you love her. How did you manage to grow
up, Ranchan? I never would have seen it coming," Ukyo said, almost
wistfully.

"I grew up too late," Ranma said softly.

"Huh? What are you talking about Ranchan?" Ukyo asked.

"It's true. If I had grown up earlier, Akane would be alive right now and
Ranko would have a mother," Ranma replied.

"Ranchan, we've been over this a thousand times," Ukyo said tiredly.
"Akane's death was not your fault!"

"No? Then who's fault was it Ucchan? Ranko's?" Ranma asked bitterly. Ukyo
stared at Ranma in shock, then pulled her hand back and slapped him across
the face.

"I know you loved her, Ranchan, but it's been fifteen years since her death,
it's time for you to move on!" Ukyo snapped.

"Move on to what? Half the world is dead! I- I just want to raise Ranko,
and hope that her future turns out better than mine," Ranma replied,
ignoring the stinging pain on his cheek.

"You act like you're already dead," Ukyou stated.

"I would be, if it wasn't for Ranko. But- H-how the hell did we get on this
topic anyway? It's nothing new," Ranma said irritably.

"I guess I was wrong. Maybe you haven't grown up," Ukyo replied.

"What do you want from me Ucchan?" Ranma asked.

"What do I want? I want what I've always wanted! I want you to be happy,
you moron!" Ukyo yelled.

"Ucchan, I-"

"No! Let me finish. When you married Akane, it took me a while to let go,
but I did, because I -knew- that you were happy. When you came back from
China, years later, widowed, cured, and a father, you looked so hollow. You
looked as if a part of you had died. The only times you showed any spark of
life was when you looked at your daughter. I thought, maybe I could help
complete the picture, and in time, that you would heal. Do you know how
hard is was to fall in love with you again?" Ukyo demanded.

"Ucchan-"

"Shut up! I'm not done yet!" Ukyo yelled. She took a deep breath, then
looked Ranma squarely in the eyes. "Ranchan, I'm leaving Tokyo-3.
Everyone's leaving this city, and I can't say that I blame them. All this
destruction, all these attacks are scaring people away. In a few months,
maybe a few weeks, I probably won't have any customers here anymore. I
can't live like this Ranchan. I want start a new life, with that hope for
the future you were talking about," she finished.

"Leaving? I- I guess I'm not surprised. It's for the best I suppose. It
really is too dangerous for you to stay here," Ranma finally replied.

"Too dangerous for me? It's too dangerous for you! And what about Ranko?
If she -is- the only thing keeping you alive, why raise her here? Get away
from this place Ranma, live that future! Y- You can be happy again, I just
know it. Come with me, Ranchan," Ukyo pled.

Ranma rubbed his eyes and shook his head in resignation. (I can't go
through all this again,) he thought wearily. He looked at Ukyo's hopeful
face and sighed. (It wouldn't be so bad, would it? To just go away and
forget the past,) Ranma thought. Ukyo's hands reached out and covered his
as she leaned towards him, her breath heavy and hot on his face. (How long
has it been, Ranma, since you held a woman in your arms?) he thought,
painstakingly trying to stay in control.

Suddenly, her hands left his, and he watched as Ukyo walked around the grill
to stand in front of him. She inched forward and gently put her hands
around his head, spreading her fingers through his thick black hair.
"Ranchan. . . I need you," she whispered hoarsely.

Ranma closed his eyes as Ukyo's hands moved down his shoulders to his back.
Once again, he could feel her hot breath against his face as she embraced
him. Ranma hesitantly put his arms around Ukyo's waist. Her embrace
tightened as she kissed him and Ranma automatically responded, moaning into
her mouth as his hands kneaded the muscles on her back. Slowly, they parted
and Ukyo stared into Ranma's eyes. He nodded his assent at her unasked
question and their lips met once more. (Akane. . . forgive me,) Ranma
thought as he started unbuttoning Ukyo's blouse. It was the last coherent
thought he had for the next three hours.

"Oh! I think you should get this one, Ranko!" Asuka exclaimed, holding out
a two-piece swimsuit.

"Don't you think it's a little too small?" Ranko hesitantly asked. (Otosan
will have stroke if I wear that!) she thought.

"Hmmm, maybe. How about this one?" Asuka asked, holding up a black
one-piece.

"Maybe in a different color, something, I dunno, brighter," Ranko suggested.

"Yeah, what we really need is a man's opinion. After all, they're the ones
who are going to be looking at us," Asuka pointed out.

Ranko giggled and shook her head. "Do you want go find Shinji, then?" she
asked.

"I said a -man-, not that spineless idiot!" Asuka said indignantly. "We
need someone like your father. Yeah, I wish Ranma-san had come with us,"
Asuka said wistfully.

"Asuka, um, you really like my dad, don't you?" Ranko asked.

"Yeah! He's handsome, smart, strong, witty, kind, gently, mature, ta-"

"I get the idea!" Ranko replied, interrupting Asuka. "But, isn't it kind
strange? I mean, ya know, he's so. . . old!" Ranko explained.

"Are you blind? He doesn't -look- that old!" Asuka objected, "It must be
all that martial arts," she speculated.

"But, he's old enough to be your father," Ranko said uncomfortably.

"But he's not my father, he's yours," Asuka pointed out.

"Well, yeah. . ," Ranko replied dubiously.

"Ranko-chan, would you have a problem with Ranma-san and I seeing each
other?" Asuka asked seriously.

"Not if that's what Otosan wants, but I was kinda hoping to set him up with
Misato," Ranko admitted.

"What?!" Asuka screamed. She ignored the stares of all the surprised
shoppers who surrounded her.

"It was just an idea," Ranko replied weakly.

"A very bad one," Asuka replied, "Besides which, Misato is already involved
with Kaji," she explained, casually tossing her hair over her shoulder.

"Really? Um, well I'm glad I didn't bring it up then. I guess, I just
don't want him to get lonely, ya know?" Ranko asked.

"I understand perfectly. Don't worry, I'll make -sure- he won't be lonely,"
Asuka confidently replied, "Now, let's get back to shopping!"

Ranko frowned as she stood in front of Ucchan's. "It should have opened an
hour ago," she said, glancing at the 'Closed' sign.

"Maybe she over-slept or something. Women her age need lots of rest you
know," Asuka pointed out.

"Wasn't Ranma-san coming here today? Maybe they went out together," Shinji
suggested, then wilted slightly under Asuka's glare.

The three children had spent all morning at the Tokyo-3 Mall. Asuka and
Ranko had raided all the clothing shops while Shinji spent most of his time
browsing through S-DATs in a music store. They had finally decided to break
for lunch, Asuka eager to meet one of Ranma's old girlfriends.

"No, even if they went out somewhere, Aunt Ukyo would be back in time to
open the restaurant. She takes her business very seriously. Besides, most
of the time that Otosan comes here, she just cooks for him. Otosan -really-
likes her cooking," Ranko replied.

(Guess I'm going to have to learn how to cook,) Asuka thought as she walked
up to the door, and started knocking on it loudly. "Hey! Is anyone there?"
she asked loudly.

After a few seconds, the children could hear voices and the sound of hurried
movement from behind the door. With a sudden click of a lock, the door
opened. "Ranko-chan! Hello! What are you doing here?" Ukyo asked,
standing in the doorway.

"Well, uh, I brought some friends over for lunch. If it's a bad time, we
could-"

"Oh nonsense! I should have opened up an hour ago. Ranchan and I were, uh,
so busy. . . talking that I just didn't notice the time," Ukyo replied.

(Ranchan?) Asuka thought angrily as she looked at the older woman.

"Otosan's still here?" Ranko asked, walking into the restaurant.

"Er, yeah, he's in the restroom," Ukyo replied.

"Aunt Ukyo, I'd like you to meet Asuka and Shinji; they're friends of mine
from school," Ranko said, introducing the two pilots who had followed her
into the restaurant.

"It's nice to meet the two of you," Ukyo said.

"Likewise. So, Ranko tells us that you're an -old- friend of Ranma-san's,"
Asuka greeted.

"That's right," Ukyo replied, frowning slightly. She had the feeling that
this young girl was measuring her up.

"Hey, what are you guys, doing here? I thought you were going to the mall?"
Ranma asked as he walked into view.

"We did, but got hungry and decided to stop for lunch. I didn't know that
you'd still be here," Ranko replied.

"We, uh, kinda lost track of time," Ranma replied, laughing nervously.

"Isn't Wondergirl waiting for you back at the dojo?" Asuka asked neutrally.

"'Wondergirl'?" Ukyo asked, an eyebrow raised.

"She means Rei; another one of Ranko's friends. She's really got a knack
for the Arts," Ranma explained.

"I see. Well, you best get going then, you shouldn't keep a student
waiting," Ukyo said.

"I will, there's something we need to talk about first. Ucchan I-"

"I know Ranchan, I know. I'll give you the phone number and address of
where I'm staying as soon as I get settled. Don't take too long to pay me a
visit, okay?" Ukyo asked, smiling sadly.

"Are you going somewhere, Aunt Ukyo?" Ranko asked. Ukyo glanced at Ranma
nervously then turned towards the young girl she had helped raise for the
past ten years.

"Ranko-chan, I'm leaving Tokyo-3. This really isn't a place for civilians
anymore, not with all this destruction," Ukyo said gently.

"Leaving? B-but- but, do you have to? I mean, why can't you stay?" Ranko
pleaded.

"I'm a chef, and a chef isn't any good if there aren't any people to feed.
This city will be empty soon. Don't worry Ranko-chan. You can visit me any
time! It's not like you're never going to see me again, right?" Ukyo
replied.

"I guess. But I'm going to miss you, Aunt Ukyo," Ranko said softly, her
head bowed down.

"Oh Ranko-chan, I'm going to miss you too," Ukyo replied, as she embraced
the young girl. "I love you," she said quietly.

Ranko began to sniffle as she returned Ukyo's hug. Ranma walked up to the
two of them and slowly wrapped his arms around them. (Would it really be so
bad?) Ranma thought once more. After so long a time, he had an opportunity
to build a family again, with a daughter he would die for and a woman who
loved him. (It wouldn't be so bad at all.) Ranma glanced at the two Eva
pilots who stood uncomfortably behind his daughter. (No, not yet,) he
thought, tightening his resolve.

He bent down and kissed Ukyo on the forehead. "And I love you, my Ucchan,"
Ranma whispered so only she could hear. Ukyo turned to face him, tears
suddenly appearing in her eyes. Asuka cleared her throat meaningfully,
while Shinji blushed and scratched the back of his head.

Ukyo released her hold on Ranko and smiled brightly. "Well, enough of this.
You kids must be hungry!" she exclaimed. Ukyo wiped her eyes and walked
behind her grill. "Are you staying for lunch, Ranchan?"

"No, I'd better get going. G-Give me a call before you take off, okay?" he
asked.

"I will," Ukyo replied.

Ranma looked around the restaurant and smiled sadly. (I'm going to miss
this place,) he thought as he walked out of Ucchan's for the last time.

End of Chapter 7

Special thanks to Harold Ancell for pointing out a couple of glaring errors

And thanks to TJ Hamilton for suggesting the shopping scene.

Okay, well. There -were- a few other things I wanted to do with this
chapter; introduce Ryoga, get Kaji to talk to Ranko about Ranma's past,
etc... but, this seemed like a good enough place to end it. Chapter 8 is
going to be awhile in coming. I'm working on, well, too many fics right now
and need to get going on them as well.

C&C ana...@earthlink.net

P.S. Zen, hope you liked it! ^_^