[Ranma/SM][FanFic] The Phoenix Prince Saga Book 2, Part 6, Chapter 2

Linda Ward

Aug 28, 2001, 11:10:11 PM8/28/01
Chapter Two: Teacher - Amilia

Amilia nestled down in the warm embrace of the smiling rogue
that had absconded her from the grotto where she had awaited her twin
sister and smiled. She was wondering how Akai was reacting to the fact
that she had suddenly gone missing. Not that she meant anything mean
by it or anything. It was just that Akai had gotten all of the
masculine attention for so long that Amilia was relishing her chance
to be in the spotlight. And maybe there was a bit of a mischievous
streak in her somewhere deep inside.
Then her smiling rouge looked down and gave her another one
of those perfectly wonderful smirks of his.
"So, Amilia-chan, how do you like flying so far?" he asked.
"It is most wonderful, Shima!" she cried back against the
wind.
"Good! Oh... no. I forgot about lunch! I'm terribly sorry
Amilia-chan!"
"That is alright, Shima. I am not terribly hungered."
"No, it's not alright! It's my fault you missed lunch, and
thus shall I make it up for you!"
And suddenly they were spiraling down to the ground again.

**********

Some time later they were sitting across from each other in
the common room of a tiny inn some many kilometers away from the main
Lunar city. They had just finished with the main course of their meal
and were mulling over what type of fruit pie they wanted for after
with their spiced cider.
"I think perhaps Lunar gooseberry would be good, Shima. You
may like it. It is much like the Earthian gooseberry as the fruit was
originally imported from the Lunar surface." Amilia finally decided.
Shima shrugged. "It's your choice, Amilia-chan. I don't mind
too much any which way." Then he directed his attention to the
innkeeper. "My good man! May we have one of your fine Lunar gooseberry
pies for our repast?" He asked as the rail-thin innkeeper strode over
on his stalk-like legs.
"Most certainly, good sir and madam. It shall be along in
short order." The innkeeper, who was a rather jovial fellow despite
his slender appearance, replied with a cheeky grin and a sketchy bow.
As he moved away, Amilia tried to turn the conversation
towards Shima. "So, Shima. Do you come here often?" she asked
innocently. Which is why she was so surprised when Shima burst out
laughing. "What?! What is so humorous?!" she asked indignantly.
"Oh, I am sorry, Amilia-chan! But that... that must be one
of the oldest pick-up lines in the history of Earth!" he choked out
as he slowly brought himself under control again.
"I do not understand, Shima. What is a 'pick-up line'?" Amilia
was confused. She truly did not understand.
"It's hard to explain exactly. I think the one of the best
way's I've heard it explained though was when Endymion informed me
that it was how men that no one really wanted as a life-partner
attempted to get women that had not chosen a partner yet to both talk
to them and preferably share a sleeping space with them. My
half-brother told me that women in the same situation also used such
lines. Which is the cause for my laughter, Amilia-chan. I had not
realized that you thought yourself one that no man would want!" He
finished in mock-outrage.
"Oh! Oh no, Shima! That is not.. I am meaning that that is...
I .." she stammered, quite flustered.
"Don't worry about it, Amilia-chan. I understand what you
mean." He allowed with another of his smirks at her scarlet face.
Then the pie arrived and they were much more distracted by
food then embarrassment.

**********

"What's that?" Shima asked, leaning slightly over her shoulder
so as to see the electronic mess covering the workstation before her.
"This?" Amilia asked, waving at the scattered circuit boards,
wires, and chips.
Shima nodded. "Yes. That."
"Oh. Well, eventually, it should be a micronized computer."
"Like the Lunar Mainframes?" He asked, picked up a stray
circuit board.
"Yes, sort of. Although much, much smaller than those." She
replied.
"Well, of course. There's not nearly enough stuff here to make
a big thing. Not without magic anyway." Shima shrugged, setting the
board back down on the table.
For sometime Amilia worked diligently at the tiny workings
with Shima hovering about watching and making a general nuisance out
of himself. Finally, she set her tools down upon the table and turned
to face him.
"Shima, is there something I can help you with?"
"Me? Oh. No. There's nothing."
"Are you sure?"
"Why yes. Of course I am. Why?"
"I do not know. Mayperchance it is because you have insisted
upon hovering about for nearly two Terran hours now?"
"Uh... Sorry, Amilia-chan. I'm just a bit bored. What you were
doing looked interesting so I decided to watch."
"Do you know how intensely annoying and distracting that is?"
"I... um... I'm beginning to find out, I think..."
"Good. If you insist on standing around though, kindly make
use of your proclivity towards idleness and assist me."
"Sure. What do you need?"
"If you could hand me that 440 fromitz?"

***********

"Ami-chan," Shima was circling around the girl who stood in a
very awkward looking stance in the middle of the training room. "what
are you trying to do?"
"Akai said that this would help with my control." Amilia
replied, slowly moving from her extremely awkward stance into a rather
odd contortion that involved putting one arm back behind one leg while
the other leg was stretched up above her head and the other arm was
held out at a forty-five degree angle from the body.
"She did?" Shima's voice indicated an obvious sense of
disbelief mixed with curiosity. Which was a good thing sense, at her
current angle, Amilia couldn't really see much of any of him. "The
only thing I can see it helping is your chiropractor's practice.
Doesn't that hurt?"
Amilia had just switched into another position that looked
like something you would see some hapless soul contorting into in a
vision of Hades. The human body was just not designed to DO that!
"Well, it is fairly awkward." Amilia conceded after she gained
her insanely painful looking position.
"Why don't you just study one of the Martian Arts?" Shima
finally asked, his curiosity getting the better of him at last. "I
could teach you. Kina-chan is already learning from me. It wouldn't
be any trouble to teach you too. Really."
Amilia straightened with a rather loud crackle pop sound
emanating from her back. Putting a hand to her back, she straightened
entirely to her normal upright position. "Ouch. No, Shima. That is
alright. I would rather not study those arts."
"Why? It can't be pain. Anything would be less painful than
whatever that was you were doing." Shima argued, gesturing towards
the ground.
"Mayperchance you are correct, Shima. However, I chose not
to condone any art which doth teach of the taking of another's life."
"No matter how necessary, huh?" Shima's voice was tinged with
wry irony. His face was expressionless.
"That is correct. I cannot condone such senseless violence
under any circumstance, which is why I do chose to distance myself
from the barracks so often." Amilia finished, turning from him to
begin gathering her things in preparation for her return to her rooms.
"Then you most certainly do not condone myself. Or Ranko. Or
Prince Endymion." He paused, his face stern, as he let her turn back
to face him again before finishing. "Or your sister, Akai."
"Shima! That is not.." She began, her face horrified as the
realization of what she had done dawned upon her.
He held up a hand. "No. That is exactly what you meant. You
said that you 'cannot condone such senseless violence under any
circumstance'. ANY circumstance, Amilia-san." She winced at the
sudden cold formality filling his so often warm voice, and shuddered
further to know that it was directed at her and why. "Those
'circumstances' have involved the defense of ourselves or defense of
others from those less scrupulous than yourself. Those 'circumstances'
have involved ending the existence of a creature who had cut down a
family in cold blood and destroyed a tiny child's life. Those
'circumstances' have saved my life and those around me. Those
'circumstances'," He paused again, catching her eyes in his own
piercing glare. "have involved saving your life.
Amilia knew of what he was referring to. She had been there
when it happened after all. She had watched as Shima and her twin
sister had suddenly and violently extinguished the spark of life in
the two beasts that had attempted to have their way with her. She had
been so grateful then. Grateful that they had come and saved her from
them.
She had simply crouched there against the wall and let Shima
deal with Akai as her sister had become so suddenly sick about what
she had forced herself to do. She realized that now. Akai was not
the violent warrioress that so many thought she was. She had had to
FORCE herself to kill those two men, despite the fact that she knew
what they would do if she hadn't.
Suddenly, Amilia felt so totally and completely hypocritical.
With a few simple, thoughtless words, she had destroyed so much more
than she could ever help to regain. With a irrational turn of phrase
she had effectively alienated one of the only people outside of the
Senshi who would speak to her with anything approaching respect. She
had annihilated any chance she had to learn of the strange dimension
that Shima existed in with her own self-admittedly selfish
convictions.
She could not understand what had possessed her to do as she
had done. No one could truly influence Shima. And that was exactly
what she had tried to do in her foolish attempt to sway him to her
own choice of non-violence.
He was a unique and completely individual force in the
structured existence of the Court of Serenity. Everyone knew who they
were before the Queen. And they knew whom everyone else was as well.
Except for Shima.
He was uncontrollable by any save himself and at times, her
own sister, Akai. No one ever knew what he would do from one moment
to the next. That disturbing non-predictability particularly disturbed
the Guardian of Pluto, not that Amilia had much to do with the elusive
Keeper of the Gates of Time. Which was a situation she took pains to
keep as it was, just as the rest of the Senshi did.
Amilia slowly fell to her knees before Shima as she thought
upon her actions. Slowly tears began to trickled down her face. She
gazed up at him through watery eyes.
"Please forgive me, Shima-sama." She whispered, clasping her
hands together. "I understood not what I said. Oh please, forgive me
my error." Her gaze suddenly fell to the padded ground they stood
upon.
Shima took an unhurried knee before her and reached out lifted
her face with one hand so that he might look into her eyes.
"Do you understand now, little one? Why it is that I feel I
must fight? Why your sister and the other girls feel the same?" He
asked, the sternness in his voice now softened with an blanket of
gentle kindness.
Amilia nodded slowly, silently.
Shima smiled softly as he reached out with his free hand and
gently brushed away the tears that had fallen down her face. "We only
want to help, Amilia-chan. We do not take pleasure in those deaths we
must cause. Never, ever think we do. We fight to defend, to protect,
and to preserve the innocence of others who either cannot fight or who
chose to serve a higher calling. Maybe you are one of those blessed by
the gods. I don't know."
Amilia moved as if to speak, but Shima held up a hand with one
of his smirks, though his eyes were sad. "I understand that you do not
wish to fight, Amilia-chan, but I want you to understand something
about the Martian Arts."
"I do not understand, Shima." Puzzlement filled her expression,
wiping away the grief and pain that had been there.
"Not all of the Martian Arts are about killing, little one." He
stood, bringing her up with him. "In fact, most are about the avoidance
of violence. All of Mars learns at least one of the Martian Arts as
part of their schooling during childhood. However, we do have those
such as yourself upon the Planet of War. There are those who chose not
to take the lives of others among what was once my people. Yet, they
too learn of the Martian Arts."
"Shima.."
"Wait. Let me finish. Some of the Arts were developed through
the use of passive aggression in order to reach ones goal. To this day,
I have not heard of the passive aggression Arts taking of life, though
if forced, I am quite certain they are capable of it. As with any of
the Arts, one is taught that one must always be certain of the amount
of force to use against one's opponent in order to avoid death whenever
possible. I do not normally seek to destroy my opponents, though it
has happened. You need not ever seek death for another. However, if
you know that you are capable of such action if it is needed, you are
less likely to need the ability."
"Permit me to attempt to understand this which you have said.
It is better for me to possess the knowledge upon the manner in which
action must be taken for to end the existence of another for such
reason that by the possession of the aforementioned knowledge I shall
endeavor to cause the diminution of the likelihood of necessary
possession of such knowledge to be of sine qua non."
"Um. I think so."
"Alright. I may admit that I do not fully understand the exact
need of the ability to enact pain upon another creature. However, I
shall attempt the learning of this passive aggression Art that you
speak of, Shima." Amilia finally decided. "As it exists, though, the
training must wait for another day. It is time and beyond that I must
be returning to my quarters. Fare thee well, Shima of the Lord
Phoenix."
"Fare thee well also, Amilia of the Kingdom of Learning."
Shima returned with a flourishing bow as she left the room.

The soulless beasts assailed heavily upon the azure shield
originally erected by Shima with the Phoenix Force and now kept