[Ranma][FanFic] Trials of Destiny: Chapter Eleven

Kyle Emmerson

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
Trials of Destiny

Ranma 1/2 and all of its characters and situations are
the creation and property of Rumiko Takahashi. I use
these characters and situations without permission.

Chapter Eleven: Investigation

"Forces outside of the circle will begin their
motion, bringing the degrees of separation smaller. The
separation shall link the other warriors to the group, and
bring an unwelcome ally." ~Unknown

****

"First, allow me to tell a story. You may find bits and
pieces match something all of you are familiar with," Feng Bo
began.

"Yeah, yeah. Just get on with it."

"Long ago, the world was filled with gods and goddesses.
Many of them still exist today, though not nearly as strong or
known to the outside world," he began. "Gods have become
forgotten, and have died as a consequence."

"Oh jeez, how long is this gonna take?"

"Silence, Saotome. He will soon explain it," Tatewaki
said.

"Indeed," Feng Bo cleared his throat. "Five Thousand years
ago, He came to this world. The harbinger. The darkness. He
descended to our world to bring it hate and destruction. To
feed off of it as one would consume food. His name was Rogi."

"Rogi, he's the one from our dreams," Mousse said, his
mouth agape.

"Rogi was in this world for merely a day, and already he
had gathered servants. The first was a criminal of the worst
caliber. A warrior of the sword with minions of her own. She
brought war to all regions of Japan and plundered. Her name
was Nekkyo."

"Isn't that who you said--" Ukyou began.

"Yes, but allow me to finish," he continued. "The second
was a man lost in his own mind. He had committed horrible
crimes against the children of Japan, and was soon to be
executed, before Rogi intervened. He killed the executioners,
and freed him. His name was Saiko."

"And the third," Tatewaki said.

"Yes. Maigo," he said, looking towards Ranma. "Maigo was a
good man at heart, but with a weak will. A weak heart. He
allowed Rogi to infest his soul, filling it with his own
whims. It was he who caused Maigo to kill the family of his
own friend, only stopping at the one he loved, because he too
harbored feelings for her."

Ranma narrowed his eyes. He knew what was coming.

"The family of his friend, Jiao."

"Go on," Ranma urged.

"The servants were willing to protect Rogi through any
means possible. Even if it meant their lives. Nekkyo with her
army, Saiko with his insanity, and Maigo with his ties.

"But Rogi had another purpose. A purpose that was not yet
known. He needed to get to the sacred valley. He needed
someone of divine caste. He needed a god for purposes unknown.

"And so he got one. The goddess, Amaterasu."

Ukyou felt a faint twinge of memory at the mention of the
name, but then calmed herself.

"Jiao had grieved for three days, and three nights. On the
fourth day, he found his unrealized love. He found Aiko, and
the two of them swore revenge against Rogi and all that he
stood for.

"And so the gathering began. Jiao and Aiko travelled
together to find the wise one, Midari. Upon finding them, he
set the two of them upon separate tasks.

"Jiao was to travel to the far ends of Japan, to gain the
help of a God, while Aiko was sent to the worst, most criminal
regions of Japan, to gather allies."

"As Jiao travelled, he became injured. He had become sick
from infection, and was going to die."

Feng Bo smiled. Everyone was silent, and listening
completely to his story.

"Then a man, Heisei, came across him as he lay unconscious
in a forest near his home. Heisei took him to his home, and
treated his wounds. A mere four days later, Jiao was at full
health. After hearing Jiao's story, Heisei joined the cause.

"Together, the both of them travelled north, to the far
reaches of Japan, when they came across a small army. The army
of Kage, the shadow.

"Jiao knew Kage from long ago. The two of them had a
rivalry which spanned their families. The two of them fought,
for two days and nights, when one came out victorious. Jiao
then sat next to Kage, as he lay bleeding on the ground, and
asked him to join the cause.

"Kage refused, and then Heisei treated his wounds. The two
of them continued north.

"They came across a village trying to protect itself
against the advances of a warlord. Once inside, they
befriended the captain of the guard, Kedakai, and the
strategist, a woman by the name of Senkyo."

Tatewaki and Nabiki gave a brief glance towards one
another as they heard the names mentioned.

"Jiao and Heisei visited a local shrine and prayed. They
prayed for six hours, and gave offerings, without any reply.
They soon decided their only choice would be to travel farther
north, to a shrine known only in legend. A shrine said to have
been built by the gods themselves. However, to go north would
mean to travel through the lands occupied by an invading army,
who was said to kill anyone who strayed too far from the
village.

"Senkyo proposed an idea. She had listened to the tale
Jiao had told, and offered the help of not only herself, but
of Kedakai, if Jiao and Heisei would help against the army.

"And so, the four of them infiltrated the army camp, and
they destroyed the supplies of the camp. They set fire to the
tents and destroyed the food. Together, the four of them
demolished the army encampment.

"And then the warlord had found them. The four of them
were surrounded, captured, and would have been killed by the
army, which they had soon found out was foreign.

"Moments away from their imminent death, and a bright
light appeared above the camp. As it descended towards the
ground, it split into four parts.

"From each light, a form appeared. From each form, a
warrior emerged. It was the Shi Tenno. They had battled the
foreign army to death, and released the four captives.

"Before leaving again in the light, the Shi Tenno told
Jiao to seek the shrine. That he would find divine help, but
not from the Shi Tenno, for they had to remain and protect
Japan.

"And so the four of them, protected from the foreign army,
continued north. Soon, they had reached the farthest north
region of Japan, and as they stood on the beach, they felt
betrayed. There was no shrine. There was nowhere left to go.

"But Jiao would not give up. His three followers tried to
hold him down as he stripped and tried to dive into the
waters, searching for the shrine.

"But he escaped their grasp, and dived. He searched and
searched, but found nothing. He returned to the shore and
waited for low tide, and then tried again.

"He still found nothing. He camped on the northern beach
for several more days, each day searching through the waters
and beyond.

"And finally, he had no more searching to do. He had
become so desperate to find the shrine, he dived underwater
and remained there for hours. Heisei, Kedakai and Senkyo
thought him dead, but he was merely searching, his desperation
giving way to a life force he had never expected to derive
power from.

"And then he found it. A white, jewel encrusted shrine
hidden under the waters of Japan, nearly ten kilometers off
shore. He swam into the shrine, and breathed.

"For then, he could breathe. He found his clothes were
dry, and he stood in a forest. A beautiful forest of animals
he had never before seen. Of trees that expanded thousands of
feet into the air.

"And most of all, a golden sky. He found the altar, and
prayed.

"He prayed for the longest time, for nearly seven days
before he was answered. Starving, thirsty and tired, Jiao
stood before the altar as the form appeared. A woman of golden
locks and sparkling white clothing stood before him. She was
the goddess Amaterasu.

"It took little convincing. Amaterasu had known of Jiao's
destiny from the time he was born, and agreed to help his
cause. She instructed him to return to Midari with his
newfound allies and await for her.

"And so, Jiao found himself back on shore, standing among
his friends. They greeted him openly, relieved that he was
still alive. Together, the four of them returned to the south,
finding their way back.

"On the way, the once again came across the army of Kage,
and were welcomed with feast. Jiao found that Kage had left
soon after his defeat, telling that he would not return until
he had taken care of business. After a day there, the group
continued south.

"One day, in the forest of Heisei's origin, Jiao found
himself alone. It was then that Kage made his appearance. He
descended from the trees above and spoke with Jiao, and then
joined his cause.

"It was then that they returned to Midari. They had
returned, and Midari was truly shocked. He was even more so
shocked as Amaterasu appeared before them."

"What about Aiko?" Akane asked. "What happened to her?"

"As for Aiko, she had her own adventure," Feng Bo
continued.

****

"Oh my God, I just came in here to get the supplies
for the track meet and there they were, oh my God they were
just there. I think that was Ariko, and the other one was
her friend Sasumi, but they're not all there, and oh my God,
they were just lying there, it's not right this is the
middle of the day, how can something like this happen, I saw
them walking together this morning, I don't believe this.
It's horrible, I can't--"

"MISS!" the police officer cried. "Please, I'm
afraid I'll need you to slow down."

o/~The way you're bathed in light o/~

The student simply nodded, her eyes wide with fear.
The music permeating from the outside supply room made no
difference.

o/~Reminds me of that night o/~

"All right, now. What were their names?"

o/~God led me down into your rose garden of trust
o/~

"Ariko and Sasumi. I'm not sure of their last
names."

o/~And now it's swept away o/~

"That's all right. Now... Did you find them like
that?"

o/~With nothing left to say o/~

The student nodded. "Yes. I--" she paused, obviously
trying to keep her lunch where it was. "--who would do
this?"

o/~Some helpless fool, yeah I was lost in a swoon of
peace o/~

"That's our job to find out, Miss. Now, you should
said. "If you remember anything else, my name is Detective
Masamoto Hasuzi, and I can be reached at the Nerima Police
department. Here's my card." He passed her his card.

o/~You know what I need to find o/~

The student nodded, took the card and stepped away.

o/~So when the time is right o/~

Masamoto shook his head and walked back into the
track shed.

o/~Come to me sweetly, come to me o/~

"Okay, what's the story here?" he asked the first
person he saw. "Cause of death?"

o/~Come to me o/~

"Well, the first is quite obvious. She was torn to
shreds."

o/~Love will lead us, all right o/~

"Murder weapon?"

o/~Love will lead us, strength will lead us o/~

"As far as we can figure, none. It's like someone
literally ripped her apart, piece by piece, with their bare
hands."

o/~Can you hear the dolphins cry? o/~

"Anything else with her?"

o/~See the moon rise up to meet us o/~

"Well, we're assuming she was raped as well, but
it's hard to tell right now. There's a touch of seminal
fluid around some of the... uhh... parts."

o/~It's in the air we breathe tonight o/~

"So some sicko raped her, then ripped her to
shreds?"

o/~Love will lead us, truth will lead us o/~

"That's what we're guessing."

o/~Oh yeah, we meet again o/~

"What about the other one?"

o/~It's like we never left o/~

"Ariko Kitohara. Age fifteen, address 4326 Hoki--"

o/~Time in between was just a dream, did we leave
this place? o/~

"You found her ID?"

o/~This crazy fog surrounds me o/~

The other officer nodded. "We found it in her bag,
it's over by the Walkman."

o/~You wrap your legs around me o/~

"What about the other girl?"

o/~All I can do to try and breathe o/~

"We found her bag too, but it... well, let's just
say it was a little too close to her."

o/~Let me breathe, so we can be together o/~

Masamoto nodded. "As soon as we get the scene
cleaned, check out the bag for ID. Anyway, the other one?"

o/~So we can be together o/~

"Yeah, she was definitely raped, but by WHAT, I've
got no idea."

o/~Love will lead us, all right o/~

"What?"

o/~Love will lead us, strength will lead us o/~

"Well, take a look," the man walked over to lift the
thick black sheet.

o/~Can you hear the dolphins cry? o/~

"Uhh, no. I'd rather not."

o/~See the moon rise up to meet us o/~

He shrugged, then continued. "Suit yourself. Anyway,
it appears as though it happened with a... rather large
object."

o/~It's in the air we breathe tonight o/~

"Male anatomy?"

o/~Love will lead us, truth will lead us o/~

"More like an elephants male anatomy. It succeeded
in breaking both of her legs, and impaled through her
stomach. Chances are, she died really quickly."

o/~Life is like a shooting star o/~

Masamoto didn't even have to see it or smell it. The
mere thought of it made him retch. He leaned against a
wooden post, trying to breath.

o/~It don't matter who you are o/~

"You okay?"

o/~You can only run for cover o/~

Masamoto nodded. "Look. I've gotta go. Just... keep
me posted, all right?"

o/~It's just a waste of time o/~

The man nodded and watched Masamoto leave. After he
left, he turned around and spoke up.

o/~We are lost too, we are found o/~

"All right, everyone. Let's get this place cleaned
up! Remember, we've got a student body out there, so leave
as little mess as possible!"

o/~As Phoenix rises up from the ground o/~

There were several groans of acceptance as the man
stepped over towards the Walkman.

He bent over, and then picked it up.

o/~And all these wars are-- o/~

*click*

"I hate American music."

****

"Damn clouds," Kima cursed, trying to pick herself
up off of the ground and clean herself.

If only she had kept her eyes open, rather than
allow herself to be distracted by talking to Herb.

Then, Herb also didn't know she was cursed, so she
couldn't blame him.

"Kima?" Herb called from somewhere nearby. "Are you
all right?"

"Yes, I just... scratched myself up pretty bad," she
replied.

"Hold on, I'll be to you in a second."

Herb finally rounded the corner, running towards
Kima. "Are you all right?"

Kima looked up towards him and nodded. "I'm fine. I
guess I should have told you--"

"Oh my God," Herb said, looking down upon her.
"You... That Japanese girl." He said, stepping back.
"She's... drowned?"

Kima looked at herself. She was Akane Tendo again.
This must have meant... Oh dear.

"You crossed paths with Ranma Saotome? He does get
around, doesn't he?"

Herb sighed. "Yes. I... I owe him my life, really.
But... how did his... fiancee drown?"

Kima shook her head. "She didn't. It was a temporary
spring, but the curse is permanent."

Kima saw Herb visibly calm. Under normal
circumstances, he wouldn't have cared. But Herb was
different. He had a different side to him. Nurturing,
caring.

Loving.

"Well, we've got a problem now. I can't fly. We need
to find some hot water."

Herb sighed and looked back. "We passed the
Joketsuzoku a short time ago. We could go back there, I
doubt they'd recognize me."

"But if they do, we run the risk of getting killed.
If they see me in Phoenix form, they'll assume the worst."

Herb nodded. "To the north... well, I guess it's our
only chance right now."

Kima looked towards the north. In the distance, she
could see mountain ridges. A short path running up the side.

"We're on Quanjing right now, aren't we?"

Herb nodded.

Kima smirked, and then began to tread up the path.
"Then let's go."

****

"Father?" Plum asked, skipping happily into the hut.

Plum's father, otherwise known as the Guide of
Jusenkyo turned towards his daughter and smiled. "What is
it, Plum?"

Plum smiled in return, and merely pointed outside of
the hut. "We've got guests."

The Jusenkyo Guide sighed, and got up from his
chair, putting his pipe out in the ash tray. Quickly, he
walked out the front door.

And stopped dead in his tracks.

"Miss Akane?" he asked, looking at the first guest,
and then frowned upon seeing the second guest.

"You seem to have caught us at a disadvantage," the
second guest said, a woman with white hair, who the Jusenkyo
Guide found all too familiar.

"Indeed," the other guest said. "We had some short
exposure to a rain cloud slightly to the south of here. If
you would be so kind as to supply us with some hot water?"

Plum narrowed her eyes. "That's not Miss Akane, is
it, dad?"

The Jusenkyo Guide merely shook his head.

"We mean no harm to you, or Jusenkyo, good guide."

"You only bring havoc to the springs," he shot back.
"Why should I help you, Phoenix?"

Kima sighed. "Because I mean no harm to you. The
very fact that I'm standing next to a Musk should tell you
of that fact."

Herb nodded in agreement. "Please, good guide. We
merely wish to travel to Mount Phoenix. We mean no harm to
you, your daughter, or the springs."

The Guide kept his eyes narrowed. "What proof do you
have?"

Kima lifted her hands into the air. "None. But I
give a promise--"

"After what happened before, can I believe a promise
from you?"

Kima sighed. "No, good guide. I suppose not." She
looked toward Herb. "Well, then. While you are here, do you
want to regain your masculinity? There is no Spring of
Drowned Phoenix here, so I will have to walk to distance
back to Mount Phoenix."

Herb sighed. "I... I don't think it's possible for
me to change back permanently."

The Guide narrowed his eyes.

"Ah yes, the prophecy?"

Herb nodded.

Kima sighed. "Very well then, good guide. We
apologize for having troubled you."

The Guide merely kept his eyes narrowed as they
walked away.

It wasn't until they were nearly out of sight, when
something twinged in his memory.

(Prince of and Princess not of the Musk).

His mentor. His mentor had taught him the words long
ago.

(Woman of flight, and girl of land).

Bit by bit, the Guide was beginning to place things
together.

(Protector of the sacred valley).

"WAIT!" he called, and then ran after them.

****

"Any news?" Masamoto said, placing his hands on the
desk of the secretary in front of him.

Kimi often heard a lot of the news of the murder
cases before many of the detectives, mostly because she
researched a lot of it. Therefore, it only seemed natural
that she would be the liaison source between the detectives
and the captain, or the computer. Wherever the information
would come from.

Kimi looked up and nodded. "Which do you want?
Autopsy reports or family information?"

Masamoto gritted his teeth. "Might as well get this
part over with. Autopsy report."

Handing the two files over, she kept a grim face.
This was strange for the unusually happy Kimi. When the
Tokyo police had been outnumbered from the subway station
gas attack a few years previous, Kimi had been smiling. When
there had been the triple murder/suicide, she'd been smiling
as she handed over the information.

It was her good nature. She always smiled, no matter
what was happening. But now she wasn't. Masamoto opened the
first file. It was the girl, Sasumi Kyotama.

As he read through the file, he understood why.

"Autopsy report says the girl was raped. They found
a tad of human semen mixed in with the blood. After the--"
Kimi began, trying to keep her wits up. "After it happened,
she was literally ripped apart."

Masamoto closed the file. He didn't need to read any
more. Not without losing his lunch just like earlier. "Did
it state what the murder weapon was?"

If it was possible, Kimi looked even more grim. "No.
They didn't make a positive identification, but it... It
seemed like an animal dug its claws under her skin and
ripped her apart."

Masamoto looked down. It didn't make sense. Human
semen, but animal claws? Enough on that subject. "And the
other girl? The Kitohara girl?"

"Well, she was quite obviously impaled by a large
object, which caused her to... split," Kimi began. "It went
so far as to actually puncture the stomach, but there was
something else."

Masamoto narrowed his eyes. "What?"

"They found a tissue sample in the Kitohara girl.
It's not human, they've determined that much. The med guys
are still trying to figure it out."

"Not human? Does that make any sense?"

Kimi shook her head. "None at all. But it does mean
we're not dealing with a normal killer-slash-rapist here.
The guy was sloppy enough to leave a genetic sample of his
semen, and some... tissue of whatever it was he used on the
Kitohara girl. Chances are it was another animal
altogether."

"A whole _animal_?"

Kimi nodded. "That's what we're assuming. An animal
big enough to have caused that... problem, and to have left
genetic residue, however... to break all the bones in the
pelvic area, _and_ her legs..." She looked downwards. "It's
confusing. I have a bad feeling about this. I think he'll
strike again."

Masamoto sighed. "I understand how you feel. What
about the families?"

Kimi nodded. "Both of them have been notified. The
Kitoharas didn't take it well, neither did the Kyotamas. But
the Kyotamas are in Kansai. Sasumi was staying with her
brother in Nerima, who hasn't been notified yet."

Masamoto sighed. "I suppose her parents aren't in
much of a state to tell him."

"To be honest, I don't think they're in much of a
state to live."

"Where is he? I'll take care of it."

Kimi began to jot down an address on a slip of
paper. "He runs an okonomiyaki shop on the outskirts of
town, near Tokyo. Just so you don't have any surprises when
you get there, he is... mildly deformed."

Masamoto narrowed his eyes. "Mildly?"

****

"Aiko, as I told you before, had been sent to the most
criminal regions of Japan, where she was to gather allies. She
was there for nearly a day before she was attacked for her
money and her femininity. Fighting for her life as well as her
honour, she ended up killing her attacker.

"Her attacker, however, was the son of the crime
organization that ruled the area. His father had sworn
revenge, and placed a price on her head.

"Aiko soon found herself having to fight for her life, and
trust no one. One day, she had gone out for food, only to find
her would-be killers attacking another man. Aiko jumped in to
assist, helping the man to defeat his attackers, and live to
see another day.

"The man, she soon found was a traveller. He gave her no
name, except that he was ungrateful. Still, the man was
injured, and Aiko nursed him back to health.

"The man stayed with her until he was better in health,
and listened to her story. Having no cause to support, the
traveller offered to lend his help. Aiko gratefully accepted.

"However, the stranger still had not given his name. He
helped Aiko fight down the criminals who wanted her dead.
Together, the two of them left the city. Aiko was extremely
depressed, because she had not finished the task that was
assigned to her.

"However she had, because the ally she had made was a more
powerful fighter than she could have imagined.

"As the two of them approached Midari, the stranger
stopped. He told her he could go no further, for he knew of
Midari, and Midari knew of his line. Aiko begged for him to
come along, but the stranger refused.

"Soon, Aiko had given up. She continued to Midari's home,
and found herself there before long. She told Midari of the
stranger, and how he feared coming to Midari's home.

"Midari took in the information and instructed Aiko to
find the stranger again, and give her the message that upon
Midari's word, as long as the stranger assists the cause,
Midari will not harm him, or any of his line.

"Aiko once again traveled south, to look for the stranger.
One night, she found herself exhausted, and camped in the
middle of a forest. During the night, she was visited.

"The visitor was not human, but a Kappa. A water demon
that is known to eat human beings. The Kappa sat next to the
sleeping form of Aiko, and merely watched her. As morning
approached, the Kappa stepped over to Aiko and woke her
gently.

"Waking up, Aiko screamed at first sight of the Kappa. The
Kappa explained itself, asking her to calm down. It had no
need to consume her, for it was already full, but it had
explained that he was there during the night to protect her
from the Oni, a large demon that prowled the forest at night,
searching for humans to consume.

"When asked why, the Kappa told her of a man. A man that
was neither human, Kappa or Kitsune, but all three. A man born
from a magic pact between three different races.

"The mans name was Pari. And he was a friend of the Kappa,
of the Kitsune, and of the human. The Kappa then took Aiko to
a nearby cave, filled with Kappa. Some of the Kappa looked
longingly at Aiko, baring their teeth, but would not go near
her.

"As Aiko neared the back of the cave, she was placed in
front of a fire, with a man on the other end. She could not
see the mans face until he stood up.

"And then he did, and she saw the man, Pari, was the man
she had saved from the attackers. The man began to explain
himself.

"The man held the image of a human being, the magic of a
Kitsune, and the strength of a Kappa. His life span had been
hundreds of years, and he would still live for hundreds more
in his natural life.

"Aiko told the man of Midari's word, and he thought it
over. The Kappa feared Midari. Midari could destroy the Kappa
extremely easily, for their strength had no effect upon him.

"And so, Pari accepted the word, and travelled back to
Midari's home. Once there, they had learned that Jiao had
returned with allies, and Pari had met with Midari.

"Midari gave his word. Pari would not be harmed. Midari
then spoke with Amaterasu. Amaterasu told Midari of Rogi's
plans, to travel to the sacred valley, in the land to the
west.

"So together, all of them set to travel to the west.
Midari told of a warrior tribe that resided near the sacred
valley, and told them how they would assist if they needed the
help. And they travelled together."

"But what about Taka, Torako and Maya?" Mousse asked.
"They're--

"I will get to them, boy. Believe me."

Before Mousse could issue a reply, there was a knock at
the door. Feng Bo was the first to look over and smile.

As the people began to come in, one by one, he spoke.
"Heisei."

Shinnosuke looked up in shock at the mention of the name.
His mouth fell open for a moment, trying to find something to
say.

"Maya and Midari," he continued as he say Akari walk in,
with Happosai riding upon her shoulders.

And then, Feng Bo frowned.

"Maigo," he cursed.

****

"Hey there," he called. "Can I fry something up for
you?"

Masamoto sighed. Mildly deformed wasn't the way he'd
have put it. He seemed to have a normal speech pattern, his
coordination seemed fine.

But the stick-thin body and squared head of Okoniro
Kyotama was unmistakable.

It was almost as if his body was shaped like a
spatula. What type of cruel irony was that? The doctors
called it Spathacephalitis.

"Okoniro Kyotama?" Masamoto asked.

Okoniro smiled, put his hand up palm-out and shook
it. "No, no. Call me Occhan, everyone does!"

Masamoto sighed. He hated it when they got overly
friendly. It made his job twice as hard.

"Sir, my name is Detective Masamoto Hasuzi from the
Nerima Police, I've got to speak with you about something."

Occhan narrowed his eyes. Obviously, he wasn't used
to detectives coming in and being so formal. Suddenly, his
eyes popped open.

"Oh my God, something happened, hasn't it?"

"Sir, do you have a sister? Sasumi Kyotama? She
attended St. Hebereke?"

"Attended?" Occhan's eyes began to well up with
tears.

Great. Way to go, Masamoto. The first thing he
learned when informing someone that a family member has
died, is never to speak in past tense. He had just slipped
that one up.

"Sir, I'm sorry to inform you that she was found...
dead about an hour and a half ago on her school grounds."

Occhan plopped himself down on a chair behind the
grill. He placed his head in his hands and shook it slowly.

After a moment of extremely uncomfortable silence,
Occhan looked up.

"How?"

"Sir, if you would rather--"

"NO, DAMMIT! TELL ME HOW!"

Best to do as he says, lest he get violent.

"She was found in the school supply room, along with
her friend--"

"Oh God, Ariko too?"

Masamoto nodded. "They were both... raped and
killed."

Occhan started with a choking sob. "Oh my God," he
cried. "Oh my God, my poor little sister. She was only
fifteen."

He began to mutter under his breath for several
minutes. After another moment of pure silence, he looked up.

"Who did it?"

"We're not sure, but rest assured, we're looking for
whoever did it as we speak, and won't stop until we find
them."

Occhan stood up. "How long?"

"Excuse me?"

"How long till you find him?"

"Sir, I wouldn't be completely certain of that until
we do find him."

Occhan just nodded solemnly. "How was she...
killed?"

Oh great. This is just what he needed. "Sir, I'm not
sure I want to--"

"Just tell me. I've taken this much, I can take
more."

Masamoto sighed again. "Very well. She was... found
skinned alive, and... ripped apart. By what, we're not sure,
but we are looking."

Occhan's jaw dropped open. "Ripped apart? Is... she
recognizable?"

Masamoto sighed. "I'm afraid not, sir."

Occhan dropped down into the chair again.

Masamoto shook his head. "Sir, I'll return in a few
hours. There are some questions I'd like to ask you about
Sasumi, but it would be best if after you've calmed down."

Occhan merely nodded.

After another moment of silence, Masamoto left,
closing the door behind him.

Occhan silently moved towards the door, and flipped
over the sign that read 'open'.

The store was closed. He moved towards the table on
the far wall, and sat down.

Sighing, and trying desperately to hold back tears,
he picked up the phone.

****

Konatsu felt something.

That's all there was to it. Konatsu, the first and
only male kunoichi ninja, felt something strange.

Whether it was the spot of grime he'd found in the
far corner of the store, partially hidden by the long grill,
or something else entirely, he knew he felt it.

After he delightfully cleaned the grime and still
felt the feeling, as if some kind of knot in his stomach, he
frowned. It felt almost as if he was being left out of
something rather big, but didn't know what.

A moment later, the phone rang. Konatsu sprinted
across the room to pick it up and greeted the caller.

"Hello?" he asked, in the sweetest voice he could
muster. "Ucchan's okonomiyaki!"

"Ukyou?" the voice asked on the other end. "Is that
you?"

Konatsu let his face fall in confusion. The voice
was audibly distressed. It was cracking as if it had been
crying.

"No, this is Konatsu. Miss Ukyou's waitress."

After a sigh, the voice continued. "Listen, this is
a friend of Ukyou's. Is she there?"

"No, she went to school this morning. Is... there
something I can help you with?"

"I... Is there any way you can bring her home? I...
I really need to talk to her."

"I could, but as long as it's important."

"Yes, it's important. I... I need to talk to her."

Konatsu looked at the wall clock. Two-thirty. It was
take her ten minutes to get to the school, ten minutes for
them to get back. By that time, it would be time to get out
of school.

"She gets out of school in thirty minutes. She'll be
back in forty, if you want to wait for her, I'm sure--"

"No, it has to be sooner. I... I don't even know if
I can last that long."

Konatsu could sense the urgency of the voice. "Okay.
I'll... run up and get her. Do you want me to get her to
call you back?"

He heard a sigh on the other end. "Yes. Please. Tell
her it's Occhan, and it's about Sasumi."

Konatsu barely had time to utter anything else
before he heard the click.

Obviously something was up. And for all Konatsu
knew, he had the distinct feeling that the shopping trip
would have to be postponed.

****

"Maigo... How... why are YOU here?" Feng Bo asked.

Ryouga's eyes widened. "How... did you know that?"

"That doesn't matter. What are you doing here?
Shouldn't you be out looking for your master?"

"I... my... master? I... don't--"

"What's wrong with Ryouga being here?" Ranma asked.
"He's not gonna hurt anyone."

"Have you been listening to me? Who were the three
servants of Rogi?"

Akari was the first to speak. "Nekkyo, Saiko, and...
Maigo." She suddenly turned towards Ryouga. "But how did you
know about that?"

"But how... Those are just dreams," Ryouga said,
falling to the floor gasping for air.

Feng Bo merely stared at him. "You may just be our
unwelcome ally, Maigo. But I warn you now, should you ever
even CONSIDER betraying us, I will end your life here and
now."

Ryouga looked up at the figure of the old man in
fear. He was skinny, full of wrinkles, and didn't look like
he could harm a fly.

But something deep inside told him not to
underestimate him. To fear him as much as he would fear a
god.

And Ryouga merely nodded. A moment later, he managed
to get a look around. "What's... going on?"

****

Konatsu rubbed his eyes in disbelief. He'd never
seen so many people gathered at one place like that, unless
there was some sort of attraction.

"Why's Ryouga being chastised?" he managed to hear.

Konatsu froze mid-step. He... recognized that voice.

Ukyou?

Running up to the entrance, he peeked in. It WAS
Ukyou.

"Miss Ukyou!" he called. "Emergency!"

****

Feng Bo's eyes shot up at the newcomer, and he let
his face do all the work. The final warrior had arrived.

But, from the looks of things, he was about to leave
too.

"Konatsu?" Ukyou asked. "What's wrong?"

"Someone named Occhan called the restaurant. He said
he REALLY needed to talk to you about... Sasumi, I think."

Ukyou blinked. "Sasumi... his sister?"

Konatsu shrugged. "I don't know, but he sent me to
get you at school. He said he didn't know if he would be
able to last long enough to wait."

Ukyou felt a rush of urgency. "I need to use the
phone."

****

What was there for him? His parents were probably
devastated. They were probably in the same situation he
himself was in. Sitting on a table, holding a knife to his
throat.

Probably contemplating the same thing he was.

Probably...

But maybe not. Maybe they were glad he was hurting
so much. They hadn't helped at all during school. During the
teasing. The beatings he got, just because he looked
different.

Spatula-head! Spatula-head! That's what they'd call
him.

Maybe if they'd never moved away from Kansai, this
wouldn't have happened. If Occhan hadn't suspected there
would be better business in Nerima, it may not have
happened.

It was his fault. All his fault.

He should have put up with the teasing. He should
have stayed in Kansai, or at least not dragged his sister
down with him.

She wanted a change. She wanted to get away from
Kansai, a place where she was only known as the sister of
Spatula-head.

And it was all his fault. All of it.

Even while Ukyou was there to protect them, there
was nothing he could do.

And now, he knew it.

Occhan brought the knife closer to his throat. Just
a swipe, and it would be over. Just a swipe, and it wouldn't
hurt any more.

Just a swipe.

And then the phone rang. Occhan dropped the knife
carelessly and ran over to pick the phone up.

"Occhan?" the voice called on the other end.

"Ukyou," was his only reply.

****

"What's happened? What happened to Sasumi?" Ukyou
asked.

"She's... She's dead, Ukyou."

Ukyou felt something inside of her break. Innocent
Sasumi. Carefree Sasumi.

How could it have happened?

"How?"

The sobs began to rack up on the other end.
"She's... she's been ripped to shreds, Ukyou. Raped and
murdered like a dog!"

Ukyou began to feel faint. How could someone do
something like that?

"What's wrong?" Akane asked, walking up to Ukyou.

"Ukyou, I need someone. I need some help. I'm... I'm
afraid."

"Listen, I'll be RIGHT there, all right? Don't do
anything rash."

"Ukyou, I--"

"Occhan, promise me," her voice was strangely stale.

"I... I promise, Ucchan... just... just hurry," he
said, just before he hung up the phone.

Ukyou placed the phone down, the shock still lingering on
her face.

"Ukyou?" Akane asked. "What's wrong?"

Ukyou looked towards Akane for a moment, seemingly trying
to consider her answer.

"Nothing," she replied. "I... I just have to go."

"Miss Ukyou?" Konatsu asked.

"Wait," Feng Bo said, standing before her. "We still have
much to discuss."

Ukyou just shook her head. "It doesn't matter. I've got to
go. Now."

"I must confess, there is something that worries me about
your leaving before we can properly explain your... troubles,"
Tatewaki said, his eyes narrowed in remembrance of what Ukyou
had done to Shampoo.

"Ucchan," Ranma stepped towards her. "What happened?"

Ukyou looked at Ranma for a moment, and let her eyes
narrow. "It's Sasumi."

Ranma didn't know Sasumi. He knew he didn't know her, but
he remembered Occhan, even if a little... vaguely. Still,
something serious had happened to someone Ukyou knew.

"What happened to her?"

"Occhan... he... he said she's dead."

Ranma's eyes shot open. "Dead?"

The word meant a lot to him. It meant the opposite of
alive. Never having been head on with death before, Ranma
found himself inexperienced in dealing with such a situation.

Still, he had to help. Even if he didn't know Occhan that
well, he couldn't sit by.

"She was murdered."

Ranma's eyes narrowed. Now he knew he had to help.

Feng Bo sighed. "It appears that your minds are not easily
changed. Very well. Then we shall all go." He turned towards
Tofu and sighed.

"Feng Bo?" he asked.

"Tofu, keep our young visitor company while we accompany
Miss Kuonji to the residence of her friend."

Tofu blinked, and then looked around the room. "Which
one?"

Feng Bo laughed. "I suppose I would have to point her
out." Feng Bo raised one hand and pointed at a single entity
in the small crowd.

Tofu's glasses immediately fogged over.

"Me?" Kasumi asked.

****