[Ranma][FanFic] Trials of Destiny: Chapter Eight

Kyle Emmerson

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
Trials of Destiny

Ranma 1/2 and all of its characters and situations are
the creation and property of Rumiko Takahashi. I use
these characters and situations without permission.

Chapter Eight: Recollections of the Phoenix

"There will be friction between those of the
resistance and the Ohmikami. The prince and princess of and
not of shall begin the travel and the Phoenix will reveal
his past to one he trusts. His redemption will soon be at
hand." ~Unknown

****

"What... what's going on?" Ukyou asked. She drew her
hands up, uncaring of the rough feeling her charred clothing
was giving her and stared.

"How... did that happen?"

Cologne narrowed her eyes. "I don't know, child."

Shampoo lay on the ground, still unconscious.

"Ukyou? Are you all right?" Akane asked.

"A more fitting question would be whether the maiden
from the mountains is unhurt," Tatewaki interrupted. "Would
it not?"

Tofu slipped out of his trance and looked down
towards Shampoo. He was immediately in action. He kneeled
next to her, and gave a brief check for broken bones. Upon
finishing the inspection, he stood up.

"I don't think there are any fractures. It should be
safe to move her."

"No," Cologne said.

Tofu blinked. "What?"

"There is no need to move her."

Feng Bo nodded his agreement. "Indeed, Tofu."

"Why not?"

Cologne pointed. "She is waking up."

And she was. Shampoo opened one bleary eye. "Wh...
what happen?"

Shampoo stumbled to her feet. She groggily staggered
and leaned herself against a wall. Her clothing was visibly
charred, but there was no physical damage.

"That's what I'd like to know," Ukyou muttered.

Shampoo looked towards Ukyou. "Y...you do this, chef
girl. You do this to Shampoo!"

"Shampoo, I wouldn't suggest trying to attack her
again," Cologne informed her great-grandaughter. "She may
not be in control of the power, but to risk injury at this
point would be foolish."

Shampoo staggered towards Ukyou. "No worry, Great-
Grandmother. Shampoo no hurt chef girl. Yet."

Ukyou leaned herself against the wall as Shampoo
continued towards her.

"Shampoo," Cologne said as she narrowed her eyes.
"Stop."

"I must do this, Great-Grandmother."

Shampoo stopped in front of Ukyou and placed her
hands on the cot. "You defeat Shampoo. You outsider."
Shampoo said, and then leaned in towards her.

Ukyou blinked in confusion as Shampoo kissed Ukyou
on the cheek.

"Chef girl remember that."

"Shampoo, stop." Cologne said. "You know as well as
I that such a gesture is not valid outside of our land."

Akane blinked. "Wait. The kiss of death is invalid
outside of your village?"

Cologne looked over towards Akane. "No, outside of
our land." She looked back towards Ukyou. "Feel fortunate
that this did not take place in the restaurant, child."

Shampoo smiled. "Shampoo know it not valid. Shampoo
just tell chef girl what she think of her."

Ukyou looked into Shampoo's cold eyes, and then
turned away.

****

"What is it?" Kima looked towards the old man as he
entered the room. "I thought I asked not be disturbed."

The old man sighed. "Kima... there seems to be
some... discomfort outside."

Saffron stopped flexing his wings long enough to
speak.

"What's wrong with 'em?" he asked.

The old man kneeled down before him. "Lord Saffron,
the people are arguing amongst themselves. Nothing that
would require your divine hand."

Saffron blinked in confusion. "What?"

Kima laughed. "I don't think you would have to worry
about this, L-- Saffron. I'll handle it." She got up from
her seat at the edge of the bed and walked towards the
doorway.

"What's the matter?" she asked the old man.

"They want revenge."

Kima blinked. "Revenge?"

"Yes. On the landlings who defeated Lord Saffron."

Kima shook her head. "Don't they know something more
important is at hand right now?"

"No, I've not yet told them of Lord Saffron's
growth."

Kima nodded. "Good, tell no one. But this must be
taken care of." She sighed in thought. "Get Masara and
Koruma. Tell them I need to speak with them."

"Yes, Lady Kima." The old man bowed over and walked
out of the room, and flew from the platform outside of the
door.

Kima turned towards her king. "How are the growing
pains?"

Saffron shrugged with the body of an eight year old.
"They're not bothering me that much anymore. I'd like a
chance to spread my wings, though."

Kima smiled. "Yes, L--"

"Kima, please. Don't call me that."

Kima closed her eyes and bowed her head. "It's just,
you are nearing the age you were at during your former...
existence, but now you are not..."

"Not what?" Saffron asked.

Kima quickly shook her head. "Nothing. Forgive me
for my--"

"Not a brat? Not spoiled rotten? You'd be surprised,
Kima." Saffron smiled.

Kima sighed. "You speak like you would be in
adulthood, Saffron."

Saffron shrugged. "I guess more memories are
returning. I'm remembering my first existence."

Kima blinked. "Your... first?"

Saffron nodded. "Yeah. It's sort of... strange."

Kima sighed. "Can you... tell me about it?"

Saffron smiled. "Believe it or not, I was born
mortal."

Kima gasped. "M...mortal? You weren't always like
this?"

Saffron smiled more. He looked towards Kima. "I
wasn't always winged, Kima."

Kima blinked. A heavy haze started to surround her
as she started to stumble. Saffron jumped over to her and
held her up in his arms. For the body of an eight year old,
he was incredibly strong.

"Don't fall over now, Kima." He smiled.

Kima shook her head. "How... how?"

"We'll find out in a minute. First, let's deal with
our company."

Kima blinked. "Company?"

The knock at the door came abruptly. Kima looked
over towards Saffron and blinked. She then shook her head
and opened the door.

Koruma and Masara stood there, blinking in
confusion. "Captain?" Koruma asked, his quiver packed, as
always, to the brim with freshly cut arrows.

Masara grunted. "What's the matter? You look... down
or something."

Kima nodded. "It's nothing to be concerned with.
What's going on with the people?"

Koruma shrugged. "They're being pretty reasonable if
you ask me. I think we should all take care of that Saotome
guy and his friends for what they did to Lord Saffron."

Kima shook her head. "Don't worry about the
landling, we've got water and heat running through the
mountain. That's our concern right now."

Masara narrowed his eyes. "But, that damn landling
KILLED Saffron!"

"And he's been REBORN, Masara. Don't concern
yourself with him."

Masara and Koruma looked at each other in confusion.
Koruma decided to speak up. "What's wrong, Captain? It's
like your dead-set against it. All we want to do is gather a
small group together, and head over--"

"NO!" Kima yelled. "Nobody leaves the mountain yet!"

Koruma blinked. "Captain?"

"Kima, let them in. I've... I've got something to
show all of you."

Masara paused. "Hey... isn't that... Lord Saffron's
voice?"

Koruma peeked past the edge of the door and let his
jaw drop at the very sight of him. "That's... It IS! Hey!
How... How did it happen?!"

Saffron could only shake his head. There was
something... something wrong.

"Saffron?" Kima asked, approaching him.

Saffron clenched his hands to his head. A moment
later, he began to cry.

"Lord Saffron?" Masara asked, running over to him.

Saffron looked directly into Masara's eyes, his
pupils turning a bright, bright white. Masara turns away as
if in pain, and put his hands to his face.

And then Saffron fell to the ground in a heap.

****

"Hold on a second... Mount PHOENIX?!" Lime asked,
his eyes wide open. "No offense, Herb. I still respect you
and everything... but Mount Phoenix? Are you nuts?"

Herb chuckled. He was more on an equal standing with
them since his banishment. Even with his reinstatement, Herb
was still an equal. Albeit a royal equal. "No, and they'll
be expecting us, too."

Lime coughed. "That's what I'm AFRAID of!"

Herb laughed again. "Afraid of a few flying men,
Lime?"

Lime grumbled. "No way! I could take down half that
mountain any day! It's just... Well, I've always heard
stories about them."

Mint nodded. "Yeah. Don't they eat musk babies?"

Lime growled. "If I find any musk babies there,
I'll--"

"Urban legends, friends. Don't worry about that, and
trust me when I say there will be little, if any
hostilities."

Lime narrowed his eyes. "What's going on, Herb? This
isn't like you."

Herb smirked. "Since I was banished, I've never been
like me, Lime. Whether or not the new me is likable is up to
you two."

Mint sighed. "All right, Herb. I'm with you. I've
always been with you."

Lime sighed in thought. "You know I'd follow you
into hell if I had to, Herb. Count me in."

Herb smiled and brought his friends into a hug. As
he turned away and walked towards the bush, Mint and Lime
looked at each other in confusion.

"There's one more stop we've got to make, though,"
he said to them.

Mint blinked. "Where's that?"

"The women's encampment."

Lime and Mint fell over in shock.

****

Kima cradled the young Saffron in her arms, her
talons lightly caressing his face. Saffron merely stirred,
now with the body of a twelve year old.

Koruma and Masara could only stare in complete and
total shock as their king, formerly an infant, grew at an
amazing speed, OUTSIDE of the egg.

Four years in as many minutes. It was unheard of.

But then, coming back from the dead was too.

"What's going on, Captain?" Masara asked.

Kima merely sighed. "I can't say for sure, but it
seems to prophecy is coming to pass."

Koruma jerked his head back in surprise. He knew the
prophecy all too well. His father worked in the royal
library, and he'd had many chances to read the Book of the
Phoenix.

"The wind in the halls," Koruma began.

"The Phoenix will call," Kima continued.

Masara blinked, and began to pick up on it. "The
Landlings shall rise."

"And heed the Phoenix cries," a fourth voice
recited. Kima looked to her lap in surprise. Saffron groans
as he tried to sit up.

"Lord Saffron!" Kima exclaimed. "Are you all right?
What happened?!"

Saffron felt his forehead. "Her powers have been
awakened."

Kima blinked. "Who? Whose powers?"

Saffron smirked. "Just an old acquaintance."

"Saffron--?"

"Koruma, Masara. I'll need you two for a particular
cause. It seems things must be hurried quite a bit." He
looked towards Kima. "First, there is something I've got to
show you, Kima."

Kima blinked. "Show me?"

Saffron nodded, and the looked towards Masara and
Koruma. Kima gestured them away.

They merely nodded and left without another word.
They were too shocked for argument.

Saffron stood up and stretched his wings. He brought
his talon up to his face and stretched it experimentally.

He closed his eyes.

*flash*

A simple shimmer of form, and the talon resembled a
perfect human hand. He examined it closely, and then let the
shimmer retake it's original talon form.

Kima gasped. "Saffron..? How?"

"I'll need you to trust me, Kima," he said.

Kima nodded. "Of course I trust you, L... Saffron,
but I--"

"No Kima. Real trust. You would gladly give your
life for me, and I know this. But you have got to trust me
with your life. You have to... do something with me, knowing
the end possibility may be death."

Kima nodded again. "Saffron, please. I trust you,
just--"

"Climb on to the bed. Kneel and face me."

Kima blinked. "Saffron?"

"Please, Kima," he turned towards her, a pleading
look on his face.

Kima did as he asked. She climbed onto the bed and
faced him, kneeling.

Saffron swallowed. "Disrobe."

Kima did so, with a few moments of hesitation.

Saffron walked over to her, she could tell he was
growing more rapidly now. He might even be in the stages of
puberty. Could...

Could Saffron be moving through puberty so fast,
that the hormones are overtaking him? Is it that he needs...
release?

Kima would gladly give herself to him for that
purpose, but there was something not right about it. Even
so, she closed her eyes and let her muscles relax.

She could feel Saffron approach her, the warmth of
his body nearly causing her to break out in a sweat.

Then she felt his hands. They started at the sides
of her waist, and she felt a shiver run through her as he
started to glide them up, around the curve of her breasts--
but not actually touching them.

They climbed up to her upper chest, and lightly
gripped her neck.

And then it gripped harder. And harder still.

Kima's eyes opened in shock. Saffron was trying
to... choke her.

He tightened his grip, a pleading look on his face.

Kima's vision began to falter. The image before her
began to blur, and she felt a sharp pain strike her in the
chest, between her breasts. It began to numb after a moment,
but the feeling was there.

Her vision began to blur more, but they seemed to
focus on a single point.

Saffron's eyes.

(Saffron.)

They were burning. It was as if his pupils held the
light of entire stars, yet it didn't hurt to look.

Her eyes watered, and it didn't hurt. Kima slowly
brought her arm up, to try and stroke his face.

It was hot. Oh, God it was hot to touch, but it
didn't hurt. She might as well have been putting her hands
into molten lava, but she felt no pain whatsoever.

(It will do you no good, Freak!)

There was something else happening. There was a...
third party, if such a thing were possible.

His eyes began to grow, the light overtaking her
field of vision.

(There's nowhere to run, Saffron!)

Larger, larger. She felt no pain any more. None of
her senses felt anything, except heat, and the bright,
bright light.

(I won't allow my daughter to wed you! What will the
children look like, freak?!)

And it grew, and grew.

(I... love you Saffron... I'm sorry...)

And then it was all she could see.

And it shrunk back, just as quickly.

Kima stood in a large room, her clothes still
absent. She looked around. Stalactite growths on the ceiling
told her that she was in a cave of sorts. A light from the
distance glowed with sunlight. Not as bright as what she had
seen before, but her eyes were still adjusting.

Checking to see if she had enough space to take off,
she began to unfold her wings.

She paused when she realized she couldn't feel them.

Kima lifted her hand up to her face and allowed her
jaw to drop in shock. Her hand was human. Had her Jusenkyo
curse been triggered? Was she the... girl, Akane?

Kima shook her head. No. She could feel the
differences in her body if she was Akane. Kima ran her
fingers through her hair, catching the white glint of it by
the light from the edge of the cave.

"Strange feeling, isn't it?" a voice called.

Kima blinked. "What? Saffron, is... is that you?"

Saffron stepped into the light from out of the
darkness of the cave, his long hair reflecting in the
sunlight emanating from the mouth of the cave. "Thank you
for trusting me, Kima," he said in a remarkably adult voice.

Kima gasped. "How... You've grown to maturity!"

Saffron chuckled. "Not quite Kima. Does this place
look familiar?"

Kima looked around quizzically. "Is it supposed to?"

Saffron smirked. He pointed to the ceiling. "Imagine
a golden perch, right up there." He pointed to the floor.
"And a hollow in the floor, here." He pointed to the walls.
"Maybe a Phoenix and Dragon tap on the sides."

Kima narrowed her eyes in confusion.

Wait. It was there. She could see it.

"This... is Mount Phoenix?" She asked, mouth agape.

"I've never told you about my human life yet, Kima.
It's time you learn."

Saffron began to walk towards the mouth of the cave,
gesturing Kima to follow.

"Saffron, what's going on?!" she called, trying to
follow.

Saffron turned, and then smiled. "Welcome to my
mind, Kima." And then he snapped his fingers.

*flash*

The light died, and Kima stood in the centre of a
crowded village. A Landling village.

She located Saffron quickly, and began to question
him again.

"Saffron, what is happening? What do you mean your
mind?"

Saffron didn't answer, he merely stared.

"Saffron, please--" Kima began, and then realized
what he was staring at.

A group of small children, playing.

"Come on, Kwai! It's my turn!"

The boy--Kwai, Kima realized, was playing with a
rounded rock, kicking it back and forth between another
child. A third child, a girl, was trying to join in on the
fun.

"Go 'way, Pao! Girls can't play this! It's a boys
game!"

The girl--Pao, obviously, let her shoulders sink as
she moved away. The two boys merely laughed.

"It was so long ago," Saffron said.

Kima just looked up at Saffron. "Is this... Your
past?"

Saffron just pointed to the far end of the crowded
town centre. The Landlings standing between them and what he
was pointing at seemed to disappear, and the white noise of
human voice seemed to quiet.

"Are you coming, boy?" A heavyset man asked a child.
The child seemed to be trying his best to follow, carrying
what appeared to be a very heavy box.

The man was empty-handed, besides a pouch that he
held at his side.

"Watch, Kima," Saffron instructed her.

The boy moved along as best he could. It was obvious
that the boy was in pain, struggling to keep what he held in
his arms. Just by looking, Kima could almost feel his pain.

But there was something else. The child looked
strangely familiar, and something... different.

Then she noticed it. The child's back was somewhat
hunched. Not like a lump, but two separate nubs extruding
from the boys clothing.

She gasped. Wing nubs.

The boy moved along as the man stopped at a shop.
Hovering around the man, the boy started to put the box
down, to give his arms a rest. The man noticed it and
frowned.

"You dirty that box, boy, and it'll come out of your
hide. I'm taking enough of a risk letting YOUR filthy hands
touch it."

The boy nodded, and kept the box in his hands. He
leaned against the side of the shop, trying to get anything
for a rest.

The man pulled several gold pieces from his pouch,
and dropped them on the counter. In return, a shopkeeper
gave him a piece of pottery. A rather large water vase.

Oh no, Kima thought.

The man took the vase and placed it on top of the
box, not bothering to fasten it in any way.

The boy merely moved, and the vase toppled over. It
hit the ground with a sickening crash.

The man turned and struck the boy with his hand.
"You filthy little FREAK!" he yelled. "How DARE you? You
know how much that cost me? You're miserable LIFE isn't
worth the price of that vase!"

The boy dropped the box on the ground and put his
hand up to cover his face.

"I've had it with your utter STUPIDITY, Saffron!"

Kima gasped. Saffron?

"I'm selling you for the meat, that's it."

Meat? What kind of monster WAS this?"

"Miserable little... THING! You should be lucky I
thought to take you in in the first place! Worst mistake of
my life!"

Kima began to intervene, she had to do SOMETHING.
She was about to speak, when she felt an arm block her
progress. She turned.

Saffron stood there, tears streaming from his eyes.
"Leave it, just watch," he said.

"Sir," a woman stepped up to the man. "I will
purchase the boy from you."

The man turned to her and leered. The woman had
long, flowing black hair.

"Simple woman," he smirked. "And what would you be
willing to... pay?"

"I am Zhang Ping. My father is Gwai Ping. You would
do wise not to insult me in such a manner."

The man's leer dropped. "I will treat you as I see
fit, wench! The only price I put on this THING is your....
personal favour." His wicked smile grew again, and his hand
reached out to touch her.

"It would also be wise to keep your hands to
yourself," the woman reached into her robe.

"Or what will you do, wench? You only have one thing
I want."

"And that, you shall never have."

The man ignored her, and continued to reach out.

A flash of movement, nothing more, and the woman
walked past the stunned man, towards the child.

The man exploded into a fine mist of blood, his
limbs severed cleanly, and his head decapitated from his
body.

The woman leaned over. "It is all right," she
whispered to the boy. "He cannot hurt you any longer."

The young Saffron slowly turned towards Zhang Ping
and looked into her eyes. Ever so slowly, he moved towards
her.

Zhang Ping brought the child into a hug.

Kima could only watch, dumbfounded.

*flash*

"Saffron!" a man called. "It is late, child! Time to
come in!"

Kima blinked in surprise. The change of scene had
happened
abruptly. She hadn't seen it.

"What...?" She began to ask. She looked over to
Saffron, who merely watched, his face a cold mask of no
emotion.

"Zhang, child," the man began, turning towards the
woman seated at the table, sipping a cup of tea.

"Father, I will not have it. It is my choice."

Gwai Ping closed his eyes. "I will agree with any
decision you will make concerning the child, Zhang, but the
villagers--"

"I do not care what the villagers say of him."

"Not just of him, child. Of you. Of us. The rumours
are already floating around that you... are having relations
with the 'freak child'. The local children are vandalizing
our land."

"They will grow out of it. Saffron has harmed no
one."

"Perhaps not, but that is beside the point. The Ping
family have upheld duty and honour for hundreds of years.
I... I do not wish to have it crash down because of some
boy."

Zhang sighed. "Duty and honour demand that we treat
the boy with the respect he is entitled to."

Gwai nodded. "You and I may understand that. But
duty in the public eye lays on how well we agree with their
beliefs."

"Father, I do not care what the local fools are
saying. I do not care how the town elders feel of it. I do
not believe the child to be spawn of evil."

"He will only bring our family bad luck, Zhang
Ping... But I will respect your decision."

Zhang Ping placed her tea on the table. "Thank
you... Father."

*flash*

"It happened so quickly," Saffron said, looking
directly at Kima. "One minute I found myself becoming happy.
The next... This happens."

Kima blinked, looking around the new area.

It was a graveyard.

More importantly, they stood in front of a marked
grave. Looking closer, Kima read, 'Gwai Ping'.

She gasped.

*flash*

Zhang reached down, stroking the blood on her
fathers lip. His eyes hung open, staring into oblivion.
Zhang spun around, drew her sword, and screamed.

*flash*

"Freak!" one child teased.

The little Saffron backed himself into a corner. "Go
away! Leave me alone!"

The other child merely laughed. "It will do you no
good, freak!" he taunted. "Is it true? Are you and Zhang
Ping really having relations?"

"Shut up!" Saffron cried. "You don't know anything!"

"Oh, so you're saying a little FREAK like you is
smarter than me?!"

"Kwai, stop it. He never did anythin--", a young
girl began. She stepped between them, trying to separate
Saffron from the approaching gang.

"Get outta the way, Pao! This trash doesn't deserve
protection!"

"Kwai, STOP!"

Kwai pushed his way past and began to strike. He hit
little Saffron on the head, and the others piled on top of
him.

*flash*

Little Saffron staggered into the front gates of the
compound, coughing weakly. Zhang Ping quickly ran to him.

"T... Teach me to fight," he pleaded, before
collapsing on the ground.

*flash*

"Why must I do this?" Little Saffron asked, trying
desperately to catch the buzzing fly with his bare hands.

"Trust me, Saffron. This is only basic," Zhang Ping
said, then she stepped back and drew her sword.

A quick flash later, and the fly dropped in two
clean pieces into the palm of Saffron's hand.

Saffron only stared in disbelief.

*flash*

Older now, Saffron seemed around the age of ten. He
attacked a practice dummy with a sword.

Kima could see a form watching, smiling from over
the ledge of the wall. It was Pao.

*flash*

"Faster, Saffron," Zhang Ping taunted. "Too slow to
catch me!"

Saffron desperately tried to get a grasp of the
piece of cloth that Zhang Ping swung around in front of him.
It was rather long in length, but the speed at which Zhang
was moving it made it difficult to grasp.

Zhang Ping danced happily while Saffron tried to
grasp it through a series of complex manoeuvres.

Finally, Saffron grasped it. He was so overcome with
joy that he never noticed Zhang Ping wrap the cloth around
his arm and flip it over her shoulder. Saffron joined post
haste.

Landing on his back, Saffron groaned.

*flash*

"Hi," a girl greeted. Kima realized it was Pao, now
approximately sixteen.

Saffron blushed. "Uh... Hi," he replied rather
shyly.

Pao smiled. "I've been watching you, you know," she
mentioned. "You're quite good."

Saffron smiled. "Yeah, I've still got a long way to
go, though."

"Come on, Pao! We're meeting them by the pond!" a
girl called from the distance.

"Just a minute!" she called. "Listen, I've gotta go.
I'll come by and see you again, all right?"

Saffron blinked. "a... all right."

*flash*

"Bye, Saffron," Pao said, kissing him on the cheek.
"I'll see you tomorrow!"

As she ran out of the compound, another form came up
behind Saffron.

Zhang Ping's eyes shot open. "Well, if I hadn't seen
it, I never would have believed it."

Saffron blushed, trying to hide his embarrassment.
"I... uhh..."

"Don't worry about it, Saffron," Zhang smiled. "It's
about time she introduced herself to you, though. She's been
watching you since you were a kid."

Saffron blinked. "What?"

"Oh, don't tell me you never noticed. Those fine-
tuned martial artist senses that I helped to hone!"

Saffron blushed a deeper red.

Zhang merely laughed, "Come on in, we'll discuss it
over some tea."

*flash*

"Pao," an old man began. "I've been hearing things
lately... Kwai's been telling me of your... visits to the
Ping lands."

Pao blinked. "Yes, so?"

"He says you've been seeing the freak child."

"Father!" Pao exclaimed. "Saffron is NOT a freak!"

Pao's father sighed. "I forbid you to see him."

Pao gasped. "Father.... you can't do that!"

"Child, I know what's best for you. You are nearly
seventeen, and I believe you should marry--"

"Father, no..." Pao gasped.

"Kwai is very well off, Pao. His family has a strong
lineage, and you will bear him strong children."

"Father, no! You CAN'T!"

"I know what's best for you, Pao. I have arranged it
already, and gained his parents approval. Kwai himself seems
rather excited of the proposal as well."

"Father, I can't!"

"Why not? He is wealthy, strong. Quite skilled in
the art, from what I hear."

"I don't *LOVE* him!"

"Oh, and you love the freak child? Is that it?
Child, love will grow. You will not succumb to some
irresponsible puppy love."

Pao gasped again. "Father... It's.... It's NOT
puppy-love!" She cried as she ran away.

*flash*

"What do you want?" the old woman asked, narrowing
her eyes.

"I'm hear to speak with the father of Pao Ling. I
have urgent business to discuss."

The woman's eyes narrowed more, and then she spoke.
"Just a moment."

Within a few moments, Pao's father arrived at the
door.

"What do YOU want?" he asked.

Saffron sighed, and knelt over onto one knee. "Chang
Ling, I, Saffron, heir to the Ping family holdings wish to
wed your daughter, Pao Ling--"

"No."

Saffron didn't stop. "I am sure the holdings of the
Ping family are substantially greater than that of the Kaun
family. Your daughter does not love Kwai Kaun, yet she--"

"Can you hear me, freak-child? I said no. I forbid
it!"

"Sir, I urge you to reconsider," Saffron said,
looking into Chang Ling's eyes.

"I won't allow my daughter to wed you! What will the
children look like, freak?!"

Saffron sighed and stood up. "It seems I cannot
convince you. Very well then. I shall challenge Kwai Kaun.
To the victor, go the hand of Pao Ling. Honour demands that
Kwai not turn down the challenge, and that you agree to the
reward."

Chang Ling's eyes narrowed.

"I will return in one week to issue the challenge.
You have until then to reconsider."

*flash*

"I don't think it's wise, Saffron," Zhang warned
him. "Ling and Kaun, both of the families are extremely
cunning. You may have skill and cunning, but it is two
families, against one."

Saffron sighed. "I know. But... I've got to do it.
It's my only chance of getting... of marrying Pao."

Zhang nodded. "I see how it is the only way, short
of running off with her, which I imagine would work if not
for Kwai keeping his eye on her twenty-four hours a day."

"Zhang, I--"

"Don't worry, Saffron. You've learned almost all I
can teach you." She smiled. "Go, and come out victorious."

*flash*

"I, Saffron, heir to the Ping family holding, issue
a challenge to you, Kwai Kaun of the Kaun family."

Kwai sized Saffron up skeptically. "You think you
can beat me, freak-boy?" He smirked. "Very well. The
spoils?"

Saffron sighed and looked off to the side of the
field they stood upon. He smiled at Pao, who smiled back,
with sad eyes.

He turned back to Kwai. "The hand of Pao Ling.
Should I be victorious, I retain the right to wed her."

Kwai smirked. "Very well."

The fight began.

*flash*

"You killed her."

*flash*

Saffron brought his sword up in a wide arc, trying
his best to break through Kwai's defence. Kwai just smiled
and blocked the sword with his own, at the same time lashing
out to kick Saffron.

Saffron took the moment in imbalance and used it
against Kwai, knocking him in the side with the flat on his
sword, sending him to the ground.

"You'll pay for that, freak-boy," Kwai said as he
got up.

*flash*

"You... you killed her," Kwai said, his face pale.

*flash*

Kwai was losing. He was trying everything he could
just to stay on his feet.

Saffron's heart was soaring. He was so close to
defeating him; it would soon be over, and he would soon be
wed to Pao.

*flash*

"You... MONSTER! How DARE you?! You said you LOVED
her? Liar!" Kwai yelled.

"I... I didn't... She..."

*flash*

"This isn't good," Chang Ling said.

"Father, maybe now you'll listen, Saffron really
isn't--"

"I forbid you to marry him, Pao," he said, and then
reached into his pouch, pulling out a small dagger.

"Father, NO!"

*flash*

"Give up, Kwai?" Saffron said, standing over his
opponent. "Do you admit defeat?"

Kwai sneered. "Never!" He got up, and drew his
sword.

"Father, NO!"

Saffron spun around to find out what happened. That
second was all Kwai needed. He brought it forth in a
stabbing motion towards Saffron and--

*flash*

"No... Kwai!" Pao ran out into the field.

"Pao, come back here!" her father yelling, running
after her.

"Stop, Kwai! Don't hurt him!"

*flash*

"Pao?" Saffron asked. Feeling something not quite
right, he quickly spun to his side, narrowly missing the
pointy end of a sword. He spun around and defended himself.

*flash*

Chang Ling growled. Now was his chance. He had to.
It was now or never.

He took the knife, and readied it.

And then he threw.

*flash*

"STOP!" Pao cried, wedging herself between the two
fighters.

"Pao, I--" Saffron began.

Kwai shook it off and spun around Pao, trying to
strike him with his sword. Saffron once again narrowly
dodged.

And then a sickening thump was heard.

*flash*

"Pao?" Saffron moved towards the body lying on the
ground. "Pao? Talk to me!"

Pao groaned, moving her head. "S... Saffron..."

He took Pao in his arms and cradled her. "It's okay,
Pao. I can take to knife out and--"

He was cut off by a pair of lips pressing themselves
against his. Pao kissed him deep, long and hard.

"Pao?" he asked.

"I... love you Saffron... I'm sorry..." she uttered,
barely managing to keep the blood down.

"What do you mean?" he asked. "You're fine. You'll
be fine!"

There was no reply.

"Pao?"

No answer.

"Pao? Answer me, Pao!"

"You killed her," Kwai said.

*flash*

"Run, Saffron."

*flash*

"You... you killed her," he said again.

*flash*

"Run now, before I kill you where you stand."

*flash*

Saffron ran. He didn't know where. He didn't care
where. He dropped his sword, leaving it in the thick brush.
The tears flowed from his eyes endlessly and he ran.

He ran for hours. Maybe even days, he didn't really
pay attention to time.

He ran until he could run no more.

He ran into a cave.

He dropped to his knees.

"No more," he said. No. He pleaded.

"No more... I don't want ANY more of this!" he
cried.

"WHAT?!" he called out to anyone who would listen.
"WHAT did I DO to deserve this?!"

No reply.

"TELL ME!"

No reply.

He dropped to his knees.

"I want to die," he said. "I don't want to live."

"Saffron," a voice called from the mouth of the
cave.

"Zhang Ping," Saffron laughed. "You heard?"

Zhang Ping nodded. "I did."

"How did you know where to find me?"

"I followed your ki, Saffron."

Saffron laughed. "It must be easy to spot its dark
stain upon the blue sky."

Zhang Ping shook her head. "It is not dark,
Saffron."

Saffron turned back. "I KILLED her."

"No. Kwai Kaun killed her. Chang Ling killed her.
You did not."

Saffron shook his head. "I've lost her. The only...
the only reason I had."

Zhang Ping shook her head. "What did you say to me
that day ten years ago?"

Saffron sighed.

"What did you say to me? You said, 'teach me to
fight'."

Saffron remained silent.

"Has that changed? You still wish to know how to
fight, do you not?"

"I can't go back."

"I'm not asking that, Saffron. I'm asking if you
still want to know how to fight."

Saffron shrugged. "What does it matter? Pao's dead.
I never knew what I was fighting FOR until her. And now...
now she's gone."

"No, Saffron. She's not."

"She's dead. She died in my arms."

"And she'll remain in your heart. For now, and all
of eternity."

Saffron sighed again. "What good are memories? I'll
never be able to touch her. To smell her hair, to hear her
voice. I'll never taste her lips or see her beauty."

"And what would you trade those memories for?"

Saffron sighed. "Not for anything..."

"There is a sword, Saffron," Zhang Ping stepped
further towards him.

"There are many swords."

"This one in particular. It is an... heirloom of the
Ping family."

"So what? I have no more need of swords."

"My father kept it hidden from me until after his
death, Saffron."

"..."

"And I'm giving it to you, after my death."

"What do you mean, Zhang Ping?" he got up and
turned.

And then stopped dead in his tracks.

"P...Pao?"

Zhang Ping nodded. Pao walked from behind her.
"Hello, Saffron."

"What... What... How?"

"The sword, Saffron," Pao began. "Zhang Ping wished
it for you."

Saffron shook his head in confusion. "Sword?"

"It will grant you wishes. It will make anything you
wish into a reality."

"But how--"

"I wished for you to understand, Saffron. I wished
for one final chance for you."

"You're... You're dead?"

Zhang Ping nodded. "I am, but with my dying wish, I
wished for this."

"How?"

"They came for me and tried me for their own crimes.
They needed someone to blame, and I was the only one
available."

Saffron shook his head. "But--"

"Time is short, Saffron. We must rest now. Here,"
she said, and threw a wrapped bundle towards him.

"What...?"

"It is the sword. Choose your wishes very carefully,
Saffron."

Zhang Ping turned to walk away. Pao stood a few
moment longer, and blew a kiss to Saffron.

"I love you, Saffron," she said, and then too turned
away.

"Wait," he called. "Where are you going?"

"We must rest now, Saffron."

"Wait, I can wish you back!"

"No. You cannot do that, Saffron," Pao closed her
eyes. "We must rest. Our time has come, and we've severely
bent the rules by allowing this."

"But--"

"Choose your wishes carefully, my love," Pao said.

Saffron just swallowed, and watched the two of them
disappear to the mouth of the cave.

"Goodbye, Saffron," Zhang Ping said.

Pao smiled. "I will await you, Saffron."

And then they left. Saffron dropped to his knees,
holding the sword in his lap.

And he remained that way for hours.

Finally, he slumped off into a deep sleep.

*flash*

He dreamt of birds. Of wings sprouting from his back
and soaring through the clouds like a hawk.

He dreamt of ashes, and falling, and then rising
again.

And he dreamt of Zhang Ping and Pao.

And, while he dreamt, he knew what his wishes would
be.

*flash*

Saffron stood at the mouth of the mouth and held the
sword in his hand. He wasn't sure if there was a ceremony,
so he simply spoke out loud.

"Sword," he began, "I am not worthy of Pao's
comfort. I do not wish to die until I believe myself worthy
of her. I wish, that every time I die, I shall rise again,
and rest only when I've been proven."

The sword glowed a bright blue. It rose out of his
hands and hovered before him.

And then it spoke.

"For years shall you live, and years more after you
die shall you be reborn. Until the day you prove yourself
worthy and can return to Pao in the afterlife."

Saffron felt an energy surge through him. It felt
tingly at first, and then it hurt.

And then he felt something else. The clothing he
wore around his upper body seemed to get tighter.

And then the wings burst from his back, and the tail
grew from his lower back. His hands and feet began to wrench
and become twisted, clawed up.

Saffron fell over, eyes wide open.

"What... is this?"

"Like the Phoenix, you shall rise again. And like
the Phoenix, you shall be envisioned of."

*flash*

The dream. The dream said it all.

Saffron could fly. He could stretch his wings and
fly across great expanses.

And yet, he felt alone.

He stood perched upon the mountain he had come to
call home. Holding the sword, he hefted it above him.

"Sword," he began, thinking of the perfect wish. "I
am lonely. I wish... companions who would share my
situation. I wish for friends to call me own, of no
prejudice and like-minded of myself."

It glowed again, bright blue. It hovered again
before him.

"You are the winged, so the winged shall be your
companions. Look to the skies of your mountain home, for
your companions will join you in short."

Saffron sighed. He looked up and saw a flock of
birds.

And after another moment, the flock of birds had
become part human.

Saffron had just created his people.

*flash*

"S...Saffron," one of the birdmen began.

"Paichung?" Saffron asked, looking towards him.

"Landlings hunt us. They hurt us and sell us. Four
dead, three ca...ca...captured."

Saffron's eyes narrowed. He looked to his sword at
his side and frowned.

Sighing, he looked towards the sword.

"Sword," he began, "I wish for one final wish."

"Speak it, and it shall be done."

He sighed. "My people and I need a weapon. We
need... protection from the... Landlings."

"The Landlings shall hunt your kind no more. Look to
me, for the weapons you seek with be wrought forth from
myself."

Saffron blinked in surprise. "From yourself?"

There was a blinding flash, and Saffron managed to
cover his eyes to prevent damage.

A moment later, two weapons lay on the ground.

Saffron's eyes went wide in shock. He picked the
first one up.

"Kinjakan..." he muttered, not knowing at all where
he got the name from.

He looked to the floor and picked the other weapon
up.

"Gekkaja," he named it.

*flash*

"Your oath, Saffron," the man said.

*flash*

"Make sure the Landling is cared for. When he is
better, release him with the threat of death should he ever
reveal our existence to the outside world."

*flash*

"Saffron, I will help you. Help them in five
thousand years and... and I will help make you worthy to see
Pao again."

*flash*

"Hey, thanks kid. Make sure you're careful on your
way home!"

Kima blinked in surprise as she noticed the Saotome
Landling walk into the main entrance of Mount Phoenix.

Saffron stood silently for a moment, smirking, and
then pounded the Kinjakan into the ground, causing it to
rumble.

*flash*

Kima was in a dark room, standing with Saffron.

"Saffron, what...?"

"You've just seen my story, Kima. You know now."

Kima nodded. "I... I think I understand, but--"

"Pao is waiting for me, Kima. Will you help me get
to her?"

Kima closed her eyes and nodded. "I will."

Saffron smiled. "Thank you."

*flash*

The darkness started to fade. It moved into a bright
white light, and then that began to fade.

She became conscious of some pain around her neck.
There would be bruising, but she suddenly felt the pressure
leave her neck.

And then her vision began to swim back into focus.

And she saw Saffron standing before her.

And he was young again. A boy of twelve or thirteen.

Kima massaged her neck and looked towards Saffron.
"I will help you."

Saffron nodded. "Thank you, Kima. I... I had to show
you. I had to show someone."

Kima closed her eyes and bowed her head. "I
understand."

"There were things that happened... after that
point. When I first learned of my... responsibility. My...
fate. It's not easy knowing that as a leader, all you are
required to do for these people is to... warm them up."

Kima looked to the floor. "Saffron, I... We all know
your responsibility. It... It doesn't make you seem any
lesser of a man."

Saffron nodded, and the dropped to the floor,
kneeling. "We have work to do."

Kima nodded in agreement. "Shall I go to the Musk?"

"Yes. Bring Masara and Koruma."

Kima began to put her clothes back on.

"Oh, and Kima?"

"Yes?"