[AMG/Ranma][Fanfic] Instruments of Change, Part Ten

Mike Koos

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99

"You do look fairly exhausted, Akane-chan. Are you sure you
don't want to go to bed while the rest of us wait for Ranmira to
return?"
Akane let out her breath in a slightly exasperated sigh. It was
the demon Kaede's fault she had expended most of the remainder of her
power this evening; she felt literally drained of both energy and
strength. <So this is kinda how Ranmira felt when she collapsed,>
Akane realized. As such, she didn't truly have the strength to
protest while Nodoka and Kasumi concerned themselves with her
well-being.
She reclined in her chair at the family-room table. Nodoka and
Genma were seated close to her, while Kasumi had taken to cleaning
the room regardless of the others' insistence that she take a break
from the housework. "I'm sure I'll be fine," Akane made an effort to
reassure Nodoka, yet couldn't quite suppress a yawn. "All I need to
do is take it easy for a while."
And possibly find something in the kitchen to give herself a
quick energy infusion, too. But what? Based on what Skuld and
Ranmira had told her, she guessed that the best 'energy boost' would
come from a favorite food or drink. Skuld had her ice cream, Ranmira
had her chocolate. She herself had a fondness for... cookies. Would
those help her now, she wondered?
She was about to ask her eldest sister if they had any of the
cookies left over from Kasumi's last trip to the marketplace when
Skuld rose from the koi pond.

An Aa! Megamisama / Ranma 1/2 Crossover
Instruments of Change
Part Ten
written by Mike Koos
----------------------

Despite the fact that both of them had previously witnessed the
young Goddess' emergence from her medium, Nodoka and Genma were
almost too startled by her sudden arrival to notice Ranmira's similar
appearance within the room.
Ranmira didn't wait until her feet had settled upon the
wood-panel floor to begin scanning the room for hints as to what had
happened during her absence. Akane appeared to be recovering, though
not in her bed and room as they'd hoped. Mr. and Mrs. Saotome hadn't
been physically fighting, as far as she could tell. There was no
sign of Ryouga - which probably made Skuld feel a little more at ease
- or Ukyou; most likely, they had departed for the evening.
Swallowing her apprehension, she began to walk toward Nodoka.
She gently cleared her throat. "Mrs. Saotome. I would like to
apologize for having to leave so abruptly while we were speaking to
each other, and for making you wait."
Nodoka studied her for a few seconds' time. "That's quite all
right. Akane-chan explained to us what had happened." She forced a
smile. What the Gods and Goddesses had to deal with compared to the
concerns of Mortals... she wasn't sure if she truly wanted to know or
not. "If it isn't too much to ask, may I see my son?"
Akane started upon hearing the request. She guessed she should
have been expecting Ranma's mother to ask that question sooner or
later, but... wasn't Ranma a child, now? How would Mrs. Saotome
react to the fact that her son was nine years younger than he was
supposed to be?"
Ranmira nodded. "No, it isn't too much to ask." Taking a
single step backwards, she called Ranma forth, her body seemingly
shifting into Ranma's form - a change that slightly unnerved the
boy's parents. Ranma's Jhusenkyou curse aside, it was still their
son's form being shifted and twisted about... or so it seemed. And
when the 'transformation' ended, Ranma opened his eyes and took in
the scene before him.
He was sixteen again, much to everyone's surprise except Skuld.
His mother called his name. "Ranma? Is that you? Ranmira and
Akane told us that you had been changed into a child."
"Ranmira thought it would be best if I were restored to my true
age before meeting you," Ranma said after a brief pause. "I've
missed you, Mother."
Nodoka embraced him. "I've missed you too, Ranma."
As the hug ended, Ranma turned his attention to Akane, moving to
her side. "Akane... are you all right?" he asked in a distinctly
concerned tone of voice. "Ranmira mentioned to me that you used up a
great deal of your power and that you really should be resting."
"Ranma...?" His show of concern was genuine, if not accurate
enough to fool her and his parents.
"I can carry you to your room, if it isn't a bother," he
persisted.
Akane was unsure what to think. Whatever Ranma was currently up
to, however, had to be a last-moment scheme of Ranmira's creation for
Nodoka's sake. Hadn't Ranmira implied earlier that a lot of
retraining was necessary to fix Ranma's psychological and personal
problems?
At any rate, she was certainly too exhausted to effectively
argue with Ranma. Or Ranmira, if it came to that. This was a
delicate time, so the best thing to do was play along to help Ranma
look good in his mother's view. "......Okay."
Ranma carefully scooped her into his arms and noiselessly
started to carry her out of the room.
"Oh, they're finally showing their true love for each other..."
Tears rolled down Genma's cheeks. "I can die knowing their marriage
will be a happy one."
The glares that Ranma, Akane and Skuld gave him were no problem
to ignore - he'd had a lot of practice in learning to ignore the
countless glares he'd received throughout his life - but Nodoka could
not be similarly ignored. He nervously drew back a step, tensing his
body, as Nodoka made an obvious show of fingering the wrapped sword
which now lay on the table at her side. "It's good to know that you
care more about their engagement than you do about Ranma and Akane
themselves," she admonished him, sending Ranma and Akane on their way
with a single nod. Skuld chose to remain behind.
Genma never changed! Everything the man did was designed to
benefit *him* at some point or another. To that end, he used others
- his wife, his best friend, his son... any way he could, even if it
meant signing them away to other people for only a few bites of food.
What few words Nodoka had had with him this evening implied that the
future Genma had planned did not include her in any way.
If he thought he was going to simply remove her from her son's
life... Ranma was the son she had wished for, the son to whom she had
given a name based on that of the Goddess who had offered her that
wish. Genma was *not* going to drive her away.
Genma switched to self-assured mode. "You agreed to the
arrangement, Nodoka."
The reminder angered her. "So? Because I thought that there
might be some merit in allowing the two of them to consider marrying
each other, you believe I would want to force them together for your
benefit or Soun's?" She paused to take a breath. "Do *not* lead me
to believe that the agreement was as much of a mistake as allowing
you to run off with my son."
Genma opened his mouth to respond, but was silenced by the anger
burning in his wife's eyes.
"I can see that the fact they are close at this time is good for
them both, considering what they are each going through. But I will
not have you or Soun forcing them to marry, without considering what
your efforts may do to them, simply because you both stand to benefit
from their marriage."
"Ranma is my son," Genma declared flatly. "He will do what is
expected of him."
Nodoka snorted. "What is expected of him and what you want him
to do are different things. Don't assume they are always the same."
"They are," Genma said, facing away.
Skuld cleared her throat. Both glanced at her in surprise, as
if they had forgotten she was there.
"We'll discuss this later, in private," Nodoka indicated to her
husband. She switched her attention to Skuld. "I apologize for my
husband's behavior. Are you a friend of Ranmira's?"
"I'm her younger sister, Skuld." The Goddess offered her a
polite bow. "Pleased to meet you."
Nodoka returned the bow. "Pleased to meet you. Pardon me for
asking... but what is your opinion of my son?"
There was an awkward pause. "Well..."

Ranma eased Akane onto her bed with the same care that he had
used in carrying her upstairs. He stepped back and watched her in
silence for several seconds, for reasons which Akane couldn't
determine. Perhaps he and Ranmira only wanted to make sure that she
would be okay after all she had done, just as Skuld had been
extremely concerned when Ryouga had hurt her sister? But now... it
was difficult for her to be sure.
He turned toward the door to leave. "Ranma, wait!" she called
after him.
"Huh?"
Akane made an effort to prop herself up on her elbows. "What's
going on?" she asked. "I mean, this afternoon you were a little
kid, and now you're back to the way you were, except now you're
acting like a complete gentleman. This isn't like you."
The other laughed. "You're training to become a Goddess, and
you're saying my changes are strange?"
She had no immediate answer for that question. "Ranma..."
"It was Ranmira's idea," Ranma offered her a faint smirk. "I
guess she wanted me to make a good first impression on my Mom."
"...Did she rewrite your personality or something?"
"Not that I know of. She says she just patched some things,
added some others," he answered.
Akane hesitated. "Do you feel... different?"
"No..." Ranma stopped to reconsider his words. "Well, not
really. She... Ranmira told me I really shouldn't be able to sense
much of a change."
"Oh?"
"Anyway, she also said you should get some rest, and after
hearing about what you did today, I agree. 'Night, Akane."
It occurred to Akane that she should 'test' Ranma to get a
better picture of his changes, but Ranma had already left the room
and closed the door behind him before she could manage to say
anything else.
Akane recalled her concerns from earlier in the day that Ranma
wouldn't be the same if Ranmira was successful in changing him to be
the person for which his mother had wished. She'd become accustomed
to having Saotome Ranma around, Jhusenkyou curse, faults and all.
Not to mention all the ridiculous circumstances they always found
themselves entangled within. And now, that person could be gone
forever... due in part to events she had set in motion. How simple
things would be if she had remained a Mortal...
Even if Ranma claimed Ranmira hadn't *really* changed him, how
much *had* he changed?

To Ranma's surprise, Belldandy had arrived and was seated at the
table, drinking tea with his parents and a reluctant Skuld as he
returned to the family room.
He hoped neither Goddess had mentioned anything about him that
his mother might not like.
<I'm sure they haven't, Ranma,> Ranmira's voice assured him.
Well, perhaps luck was on his side, for once. Ranmira had
already taken care of the first hurdle - she'd told his mother about
the Jhusenkyou curses and his father's deeds. Ranma suspected it was
due to Ranmira's intervention that his mother hadn't used her sword
on her husband... yet.
Ranmira considered saying something in response, but decided it
was best to remain silent. After all, how could she tell Ranma that
nothing of the sort would happen if she wasn't sure, herself? Nodoka
was certainly not pleased with the things her husband had done to her
son, all in the name of martial-arts training. Ranmira knew that
she, Belldandy and Skuld could prevent Nodoka from taking her sword
to Genma or Ranma... although she hoped it wouldn't come to that. She
could tell that Ranma's mother was a calm, rational person, unlike
her husband - and was placing faith in Nodoka's ability to remain
level-headed despite what had been done in her absence.
"Ranma, come here," Nodoka instructed him.
Ranma did as she asked, coming to stand before her.
"Can Ranmira-san hear me as well?"
<I can.> "She can hear you."
Nodoka smiled. "Good. I would like to speak to both of you.
Belldandy has informed me that her sister remains aware of everything
while she is a part of you, but I wanted to make sure that she
could," she said, giving the sandy-haired Belldandy a quick glance as
if to apologize for wanting to verify the Goddess' words.
"First," she took a glass of cold tap water from the table and
offered it to Ranma. "I want to see an example of this curse you're
supposed to have that changes you into a girl." Curses, indeed - now
she had a son who could be her daughter part of the time and a
husband who could become a giant panda?
As Ranma obediently poured the contents of the glass over his
head, his features began to blur with the water washing over him.
Within a few seconds Ranma had been transformed into a wet copy of
Ranmira... though Ranma appeared younger, a quarter of a head smaller
in stature, and had far less of a braided pigtail of hair. She also
lacked Ranmira's triad of facial markings, while her face contained a
hint of tomboyishness that wasn't as obvious in the Goddess' face.
This, too, Skuld had attempted to explain: Ranmira's presence
within Ranma conflicted with the magic of the curse, and therefore
gave the boy-turned-girl an approximation of her form. The rest of
Skuld's explanation - such as the fact that the Jhusenkyou curse
Ranma carried normally made its victims appear as the would had they
been born female - Nodoka stored away for later consideration.
Her son was truly cursed to become a girl when he came in
contact with cold water. If only Ranmira hadn't been rendered
helpless by the loss of... herself, she might have been able to
prevent this and more of her husband's mistakes.
She was guiding him now, however. Most likely, she was telling
him how to behave at this very minute to help him impress his mother.
The thought made Nodoka smile inwardly. She wanted to tell Ranmira
that the effort really wasn't necessary, but that would mean spoiling
the Goddess' fun. According to her sisters, Ranmira had been in the
process of trying to get Genma to undo some of the damage done to
Ranma throughout the boy's life, in addition to correcting some of
that damage herself.
Nodoka's arrival had cut that plan short. That was a good
thing, since this Ranma was closer to the person Ranma had grown up
to be, and less of a rearranged person put together for her benefit.
Had Ranmira been able to guide him throughout his life, what kind of
person would he have turned out to be?
Much as she was loath to admit it, Genma's training had at least
taught Ranma how to be strong. Akane, Kasumi, Belldandy and Skuld
had each indicated that Ranma had a well-established sense of honor,
as had Ranmira. Ranma's considerate and well-mannered behavior now
was also impressive - even if some of it could be a last-minute act.
Ranma had turned out to be a better person than she had hoped!
Nodoka had been afraid that living with only his father as a role
model would cause Ranma to become just like the man, yet that hadn't
entirely come to pass. In spite of the fact that no one truly seemed
to hold Genma in high regard, everyone liked or held some form of
respect for Ranma... even his enemies.
She could be proud of this Ranma; everyone, including Ranmira,
had done their jobs well. There was only one thing left to do.
Nodoka rose from her seat at the table and met the gaze of the
young woman standing before her. "Ranma, Ranmira-san." She silently
hoped her improvised speech would work in this circumstance, as she
had very little precedent to help her figure out what to do.
"......I have decided that the wish... contract has been fulfilled.
I have the son that I want."
Once she had finished speaking the words a bright golden light
engulfed Ranma, somewhat similar to the light in which Skuld had
teleported Ranmira and Akane away earlier in the day. Belldandy and
Skuld were the only individuals in the room who didn't need to avert
their eyes.
The light soon faded. Ranma opened her eyes to find Ranmira
standing immediately at her side, wearing what could have been
described as a long, thin white frock cut in an unusual style,
trimmed by violet and blue in an almost regal fashion. A long,
violet ribbon descended from her scarlet hair in a bow. She wore
what appeared to be leather boots and loose armguards, as well as
white fingerless gloves. Simple golden jewelry inset with
sapphire-hued jewels encircled her neck and waist.
This was the Ranmira Ranma had seen and had been expecting to
meet face-to-face one day, since the moment she provided him with an
image of herself to let him know exactly who was acting as a part of
his conscience.
Ranma was grateful to be separated from Ranmira, of course - now
that the wish his mother had made was 'fulfilled,' she no longer had
a Goddess monitoring her actions or trying to guide the way she
behaved. Yet, at the same time, Ranma felt as though something quite
important had been taken away from her.
Nodoka blinked. "Ranmira-san...?"
"Thank you, Mrs. Saotome," Ranmira inclined her head, smiling.
"Your clothes... you weren't wearing those clothes earlier."
She considered this. "Oh. As a part of Ranma, I could only
manifest myself in his place. The link between us altered my
clothing to match Ranma's clothes so that I would not look out of
place, and because Ranma would in theory already be wearing the
proper clothes for whatever situation I entered."
While Ranmira made her explanation, Ranma subconsciously pulled
her braided pig-tail of hair over her shoulder and began twirling it
around her finger.
She glanced down at the pig-tail. Tugged at it for good measure.
Red hair.
The same red hair she'd always had, come to think of it. A
shade of scarlet matching Ranmira's hair color. Hadn't Ranmira told
him something about his appearance as a girl changing? What was
it... oh, right. "Didn't you say that if we were separated, the
curse would change me into a different girl?" Ranma spoke up. "Or
is this how I would look if I had been born as a girl?"
"I... altered your curse," answered Ranmira. "I thought it
would be better if you did not have to worry about re-establishing
yourself as a different girl, but instead kept the appearance to
which you have become accustomed." She smiled. "As long as you
don't choose to use my appearance for the wrong purposes, Ranma, I
will not mind."
"But if you have changed his curse, doesn't that mean that some
of the 'cures' which might work for others with the curse will no
longer work for Ranma?" Nodoka inquired before Ranma had a chance to
respond.
"You're right; some of the possible cures won't work for Ranma
since his curse has been modified," Skuld said, hesitantly. "We can
restore the original curse's template if you want, though."
Nodoka studied her 'daughter' momentarily. The Goddesses had
previously explained to her that only the victim of a curse could
properly remove that particular curse, so there was no point in
asking them to cure Ranma's curse or neutralize it. She had to admit
to a slight curiosity as to what her daughter might have looked like
had she given birth to a daughter instead of a son, yet she didn't
want to force Ranma to endure any other problems for the time being.
In addition, having Ranma keep her resemblance to Ranmira could
be viewed in a sense as a tribute to the Goddess, just as Nodoka had
derived her son's name from Ranmira's years ago in honor of what
Ranmira had brought about by way of a wish nearly seventeen years
ago. Ranma would likely ask her about that, sooner or later.
"I don't think turning into a different girl would be all that
bad. After all, I wouldn't have to worry about Kunou and the others
recognizing me," concluded Ranma, her voice carrying a little more
force than was evident from Ranmira.
"Perhaps." Ranmira, the true owner of the voice they shared,
conceded. "But that advantage would not last for long. Tatewaki,
for example, may believe that you have simply placed the 'pig-tailed
girl' under a spell to disguise her from him, and double his efforts
to 'free' her from you."
"This 'Tatewaki...' is he one of the people you mentioned that
has fallen in love with Ranma's female form?" Nodoka asked.
Ranma's cheeks reddened. Ranmira had told her mother about
that? "He's in love with both me as a girl and Akane, and wants to
kill me when I'm a guy."
"Why?"
"Because I 'dared' to be engaged to Akane. And because he
thinks I'm holding 'his pig-tailed girl' hostage with some sort of
'evil sorcery.' His sister's the opposite - she wants to marry me
when I'm a guy and kill me when I'm a girl."
Her mother murmured something Ranma couldn't quite hear, ending
with, "I see." The look on Nodoka's face... she'd seen that look
from Akane enough times to recognize it as an 'I'm going to have to
have a talk with them' look. She mentally wished her mother good
luck. No matter *how* prepared one was for even *one* member of the
Kunou family, they could always do something thoroughly unexpected.
<I'd better try to go along with her if she does go, just in case.>
Who knew how Kunou, Kodachi or their father would treat the mother of
Saotome Ranma?
Nodoka was asking Ranmira what she would do now that this 'wish
contract' was fulfilled when Ranma turned her attention back to the
conversation.
"My Goddess Relief Office will send me on other assignments,"
Ranmira answered, unaware of the disappointment that crossed her
younger sister's face. Her thoughts were concerned more with what
her Relief Office or Kami-sama would think of the steps she had taken
to insure that Nodoka's wish was fulfilled.
Nodoka seemed somewhat disappointed as well. "Will we be able
to see you again?"
"I... cannot be sure. However, if you need to talk to me, you
can ask Skuld to relay the message to me and I will try to come if I
can." Skuld was the best bet for the Saotome family to send word to
her, short of calling the temple and asking her elder sisters or
Keiichi about it, since the younger Goddess was currently helping
Akane learn to be a Goddess as her apprentice.
The phone in the hallway chose that moment to ring.
Ranmira walked casually toward the door leading into the
hallway. "Allow me to answer the phone, Kasumi-san," she announced
in the direction of the kitchen. She had a good idea who would be on
the other end of this phone call... and that meant she should be the
one to answer.
"Thank you," she heard Kasumi reply.
Now, for the phone. Ranmira gingerly picked up the receiver and
placed it to her ear. "Ranmira," said the voice she had been
expecting to hear.

Everyone's eyes turned to look at Ranmira when she returned to
the family room moments later, a serious expression to her face.
Belldandy and Skuld needed little more than a momentary glance to
guess what concerned her. Ranma and Nodoka, on the other hand,
looked at her in minor confusion.
The latter two could tell that the phone call had either been
for Ranmira - though as to how anyone knew to call her here was
anyone's guess - or had focused on something that involved her. She
hadn't said much to Kasumi after finishing with the conversation on
the phone... whatever was on the Goddess' mind could very well be as
serious as the look she wore.
"Is something the matter, Ranmira-san?"
Ranmira met Nodoka's gaze for a second. "That was... my
supervisor calling on the phone." It had, in fact, been Kami-sama to
whom she had spoken - though she didn't want to alarm Nodoka or Ranma
by mentioning that He wanted to see her in His office as soon as
possible. "I must be going, so that I can check in."
"Are you in any trouble?" Concern showed in Nodoka's voice.
Try as she might, Ranmira couldn't hide the nervousness she
felt. "I do not know," she truthfully answered.
Skuld was likewise worried. Their eldest sister Urd was no
stranger to receiving reprimands for the things she did. But
Ranmira? Ranmira had been changed by becoming a part of Ranma - but
she hadn't really done anything to merit punishment or demotion, had
she? Not like Urd... "Would you like me to go with you, oneesama?"
She felt Belldandy's hand grasp her shoulder. "We must be going
as well, Skuld. It's late, and I don't want Keiichi to worry."
Skuld frowned. "What do I care if he worries?" she wanted to
say, then remembered that she was supposed to be on good behavior.
Nodoka thought highly of Ranmira, as far as she could tell, and the
last thing Skuld wanted to do was leave the woman with the impression
that Ranmira's younger sister - the Goddess of the Future, no less! -
was an immature, spoiled child.
Her temper surged slightly at even the thought of the last word.
She wasn't a child, blast it! Why did people insist on believing she
was a child? Other Gods and Goddesses called her a child, Urd
foremost among them. It angered her so...
She forced the thoughts to the rear of her mind and locked them
away. This was *not* a good time to let her temper show.
A glance up at Belldandy's face told her that her sister was
patiently watching her, blue-gray eyes careful not to show what
Belldandy was thinking. Skuld was left to come to her own
conclusions.
Reluctantly, she acquiesced. "I suppose you're right, oneesama.
We don't want Keiichi to worry, after all," she said dryly.
She caught her sisters' admonishing stares - and, if only for an
instant, thought she saw Ranma give her a similar stare.
Skuld changed the subject. "Let's go."
"Yes." Belldandy smiled, returning her attention to Nodoka,
Ranma and Genma. "I believe Ranma deserves some time alone with her
family."
"*His* family," insisted Ranma.
Skuld laughed. "You're presently a girl, Ranma," she reminded
the cursed boy. Ranma hmphed, and both her mother and father
couldn't resist a laugh.
Belldandy was right, however - the reunited Saotome family did
deserve time alone with each other, and Ranmira had an appointment
with Kami-sama to keep. Skuld gave Belldandy a nod. "Good night,
Mr. and Mrs. Saotome, Ranma," Belldandy concluded.
"Good night, Belldandy, Skuld-san. And thank you for all you've
done to help my son and I," Nodoka thanked them.
"Ranmira is the one who has done most of the work, not us." And
with a polite bow, Belldandy left the room to find the mirror through
which she had arrived, with Kasumi's help. Skuld walked out into the
yard, and from there into the koi pond.
It was Ranmira's turn to leave. "Good night, everyone."
"Good night, Ranmira-san. I would like to thank you most of
all."
Ranmira blushed. "It was my pleasure, Mrs. Saotome." Taking
care to move a handful of steps away from the table, she vanished
within a flash of warm golden light.
Nodoka stared at the spot where Ranmira had stood for a moment,
then retrieved her sword before fixing her husband with a glare.
"Ranma? Would you mind checking on Akane while your father and I
have a little talk?"
The girl hesitated. "Yes, Mother." <I need to ask Kasumi for
some hot water, anyway.>

** ** **

Ranmira walked carefully through the large, polished doors that
led into Kami-sama's office. She did not show it, though her
thoughts were racing, filled with worry as to what He would say to
her.
The office, as were the doors that concealed it, was designed
not to intimidate but to soothe. In that regard aspects of the
office would change appearance based on what those viewing it
believed to be comfortable. A God or Goddess could easily see
through the illusion if they chose; since one was often only called
to Kami-sama's office for important matters or to accept the
consequences for what one had done, most chose to keep the illusion.
Her thoughts did not involve the illusion at all.
She had never been asked to appear before Kami-sama to be
reprimanded in her life. Urd was usually the one getting into
trouble over her actions... oh, sure, as children Ranmira and Skuld
had had a mischievous streak. But neither of them had ever done
anything serious enough to merit the attention of Kami-sama. Both
were still considered young - while Ranmira had matured and followed
in the footsteps of her older sister Belldandy, whom she idolized,
Skuld insisted on firmly retaining whatever ties with her childhood
she had left without wanting to be called a child.
"Ranmira."
The Goddess' expression betrayed her anxiety. "Y-yes, sir...?"
"Please, rest easy, child. I only wish to speak to you."
She ordered her body to calm down, a part of her offhandedly
wondering whether it would help to cast a Calming spell on herself.
"I regret to inform you that you will be placed on suspension
pending an investigation into what happened after your 'reawakening.'"
Ranmira's face fell. "Oh," she said in a voice almost too quiet
to hear.
"Ranmira, this investigation is merely a procedure. It will
likely turn out in your favor; I thought you might like to use this
opportunity to spend time with your sisters, as well."
"Really?" Her eyes widened. "Thank you, sir!"
"There is another detail I would like to discuss with you."
Uh-oh. Ranmira braced herself for what could be more bad news.
"It has become clear to me that your experience as part of
Ranma, in addition to temporarily losing your memories and such
within Yggdrasil, has caused you to absorb some of the boy's traits,
knowledge and abilities into yourself. While this has helped you
grow into a stronger person, you still have many of Ranma's skills as
a fighter."
He paused. "Now, while I am not sure if it would be a good idea
for you to become a fighter, you do not have all of the necessary
instincts and conditioning necessary to be able to use Ranma's skills
without the possibility of hurting others or yourself, just as Akane
still lacks the full knowledge and experience necessary to become a
full Goddess. That is why I would like you to ask Ranma if he can
train you in becoming a 'martial artist.'"
Ranmira inhaled. Her, train in the martial arts? She couldn't
be a fighter! Urd could possibly be a fighter, and Skuld, if they
put their minds to it... but herself or Belldandy?
Still, Kami-sama believed she should consider the idea. She did
have Ranma's knowledge within her, and the thought of hurting herself
or someone else with her 'new skills' frightened her.
Besides which, Marller was probably planning revenge against her
and Urd for their last fight. Better to be prepared, although her
desire to fight had long since diminished.
She had no choice but to become a fighter.

(...to be continued...)

------------
Credits:

Written by: Mike Koos
Prereaders: Richard Beaubien, Kevin D. Hammel, Jonathan Ng,
Shadowmane, Tom Williams, David Wills

With apologies to Takahashi Rumiko and Fujishima Kosuke...

All parts of this series are available at the RAAC archives at
ftp://ftp.cs.ubc.ca/pub/archive/anime-fan-works
or from my WWW pages at
http://www.anime.usacomputers.net/~makoto/index.htm
Comments and questions welcome.

* Mike ('Kino Makoto') Koos * "I can do nothing to stop you.
*---------------------------* Your background music is too
* email: mak...@mother.com * strong for me."
***************************** - Whose Line is it Anyway?
www: http://www.anime.usacomputers.net/~makoto/index.htm