[Ranma][FanFic] Anijza 2 / Part 6: The Fight

1 view

Nicholas Stone

Nov 2, 2003, 1:48:06 AM11/2/03
Ranma 1/2

Anijza
Part Two:

`In Hell as In Forever'

Nicholas Stone

The Fight
Anijza moved closer and closer to the prison orb,
Akane, helpless along with her friends inside, could do
nothing unable to move. There came another snap and the
flames dancing around Anijza's upheld fist went out. She
stopped staring up at her hand in surprise and then was
herself imprisoned in a translucent globe. Anijza pressed
her hands around the inside searching for a way out.
"Master?" she cried, turning to face her demon lord.
Although the sardonic grin remained, everyone could see
that the demon was clearly angry with Anijza. A thought
moved Anijza away from, and he sat forwards to study his new
prisoners.
"Oh, great," Mousse said amidst his grunts and strain,
"First we get into Hell, and now we've been captured by the
Devil himself."
The demonic face arched a slender brow. "You're
observation is quite incorrect, young man," he said,
stopping their struggles. "I am not his Excellency.
Flattering, but I am not he."
"How-did you-know-we-were here?" asked Akane.
The demon laughed. "I knew you were here the moment
you crossed into Hell." Sitting back, the demon held out a
hand and a large goblet was carried over. He took a long
swallow from it, smacking his lips purposely delaying his
words. "No one enters Hell without me knowing about it."
He stopped eyeing Akane hard. "I am known by many a
mortal name," he continued, "King Zhuanlun, Baalzebul,
Adramelech just to name a few. Seeing your background, you
may address me as Xue. My main task is to administer Hell
and all of its sub-lying portions."
"Oh great, we've been captured by a CEO," commented
Nabiki.
Xue laughed before turning his attention back to
Anijza. "Little One, this poses a delay in the ceremony."
"Let me out, Master!" pleaded Anijza, desperately
pawing at the globe. "I will settle this problem once and
for all and eradicate these intruders!"
"No, I cannot allow that, Anijza."
She slumped to her knees, stunned. "No?"
"Yes. I said no. You see, one I sense has strong ties
to your proposed consort."
His eyes drifted over to the globe and there was
another flash as Akane was phased out from it onto the floor
at the foot of the dais steps. She lay in pain, trying to
shake off the dizziness in her head. When Akane looked up a
small globe encircled her.
"Will you stop with these uncomfortable bubbles!" she
shouted.
"Akane!" Ranma suddenly shouted from across the room.
Leaning towards Akane, Xue studied her. "Your name is
not known to me, young lady. What is your relationship with
Anijza's betrothed?"
"He, he is my fiance!"
A murmur passed through the observing crowd and Xue sat
back perplexed. He leaned towards Anijza.
"Fiance, this young one claims? Anijza, you told me
there were no problems. Did you lie to me?"
"No, Master! This little Toad has been trying to break
Ranma and I apart!"
"That's a lie!" shouted Ranma. "Anijza and I were
never together, ever!"
The demon cast a withering stare upon his minion.
"Anijza," he trailed.
"Master, he is mine. I swear!"
"No, Ranma is to be my husband!" countered Akane.
Ukyo managed to work her body around pressing up
against the glass of their prison. "Shampoo, Kodachi, this
would be a bad time for us to dispute Akane's claim right
now," she said. "Don't say anything."
"And let her lie like this?" said Kodachi. Fortunately
for them, Tatewaki's hand was in the right position to give
his crazy sister a sharp whack on the head.
Meanwhile, Xue sat milling about the claims he had just
heard, gazing back and forth between the two women at his
feet. He smirked, sat forward and extended a hand out
towards Anijza. Slowly, he started closing his fingers and
at the same time her bubble began to contract.
"Master, please!" she cried as it collapsed around her.
"You have not sufficiently explained these intruders,
Anijza. Nor have you convinced me that you dealt with
acquiring your consort within our laws."
Anijza began to cry, pushing fitfully against the
globe's sides. "Master, if I did not follow the laws, then
I would not have been able to bring him back here at all!"
The globe abruptly stopped and Xue paused to think a
moment.
"That is quite true," he finally said, sitting back.
He looked at Ranma. "What say you, young man?"
Ranma fidgeted nervously. "Uh. well I didn't exactly
say I would come with her," he said.
"Yes you did!" Mousse suddenly yelled, "I was there
listening to your stupid self talk!"
"Mousse!" Konatsu shouted, but he was too late, the
damage having been done.
"Ooo, silly blind-boy. Shampoo should smother you!"
With Mousse's inerrant outburst, Xue appeared convinced
with Anijza's claim. "Ah," he said gesturing with a finger.
"So there was an agreement, and a witness to boot."
"Now we're screwed, no thanks to you, Mousse!" said
Ryoga.
"Not yet," Nabiki told them. Clearing her throat, she
called out to gaining everyone's attention. "Uh, Mister
Demon-type guy? May I be allowed to speak on behalf of my
sister and friends?"
The grin of the demon drew wide. He made a slight
gesture with two fingers and Nabiki was pulled through the
globe rolling across the floor to a stop at the steps. As
she came up on all fours, he started to laugh.
"(Heh-heh-heh) Nabiki Tendo," Xue said much to
everyone's surprise, "an honor it is to finally have you
here. Come to assume your position?"
"Hoo, hoo, hoo. He knows her name," chortled Kodachi,
"HOH, hoh, hoh, hoh, hoh, hoo!"
Nabiki stood up. "My position?" she said.
"Why yes. I have a spot all picked out for you on my
staff. I was not expecting you so soon, but I'll take what
I can get, and you certainly are a prize to be had."
A long moment passed as Nabiki absorbed the demon's
words. "Can we stay on topic here?" she finally said.
"Sure."
With a smirk, the middle Tendo sister was about to
continue until she noticed her nakedness again. "Uh, could
I please get something decent to wear? I'd feel better
dressed for this."
A wave of a hand, Nabiki fitted into a full cut black
business dress suit made out of the finest cotton-wool
cloth.
"Ooo, not bad," she said.
"All of my primary employees are well dressed," replied
Xue. "Not just anyone represents me." He passed a hand
through the air above his head. "Just think of it, `Nabiki
Tendo. Assistant Chief Administrator: Hell'."
"See, even dead this girl finds a way to gain leverage
and position," said Ryoga.
Nabiki briefly paused again. "Yeah. I'm going to try
and clear up this little misunderstanding and the confusion
that is running rampant in this situation."
"Oh, please do, Nabiki."
Nabiki began pacing while preparing her words. "Well
to begin, Anijza and Akane are both right in their claims."
"What!" exclaimed Akane.
"What are you saying, Nabiki!" shouted Ranma.
Nabiki whirled. "Shaddup up there!" she snapped at
him.
Placing a cheerful smile back on her face, Nabiki
returned to her dissertation. "Now then, what we have here
is a failure to communicate." She stopped letting out a
hardy laugh. "I have always wanted to say that!"
"A failure to communicate?" asked Xue.
"Yes! You see, Ranma said he would come back to
Anijza's home, but first he wanted to talk with Akane. Now
knowing what her response would be, Anijza prevented her
from meeting with him and ruin the plan."
"Because if she did, that would make his agreement null
and void," concluded the demon. He sat back in his throne
stroking his chin thoughtfully. "Very clever, Little One,"
Xue finally said to Anijza. "I applaud your
resourcefulness."
"It was nothing, Master."
Nabiki walked over to Anijza's prison, a sly look on
her face. "But it has caused a problem, Anijza," she said,
tapping on the glass. "Akane is here, and she still-wants-
Ranma."
"And she'll never have him!" proclaimed Anijza.
"You bitch! You cheated!" shouted Akane. "Give me
back Ranma!"
"Never, he is mine!"
As the two women bickered, Nabiki moved over to the
foot of the steps and out of the line of fire. "Wow, I've
never seen Akane so mad," she said.
"Yes they are quite adamant about their claim," added
Xue. "So, Nabiki Tendo, how do propose we settle this
problem, hm?"
Nabiki shrugged. "Not sure, but first we need to stop
them." She walked back in between the two globes. "Girls,
girls, girls," said Nabiki holding out her arms. "We will
figure out a way to settle this ugly affair."
"I will settle it, by ripping Akane Tendo's heart out
of her chest!" cried Anijza.
"Ha! I'm already dead, you bitch! And I'll be the one
kicking your sorry ass for what you have done to us!"
"What! You? You little Toad, you could not beat me on
your own ground, and you certainly can not defeat me here!"
"I'll rip every strand of the hair off your head and
stuff them up your-!"
"Enough!" roared Xue.
Silence prevailed once again, and then he began to
chuckle.
"Honestly, that was very entertaining," he commented.
"He's kind' a right about that," Ryoga whispered to the
others. They all gave him questioning stares before gazing
back out the glass.
"Nabiki," called Xue, "have you figured out a solution
to this problem?"
"Throwing it in my lap is that it? Okay, I think I
know what you want."
"Uh-oh," said Tatewaki.
"Uh-oh, what?" Ukyo asked.
"Nabiki. She has that opportunistic look in her eyes.
That is not good for us."
"Nooo!" moaned Mousse. He pressed himself up against
the glass. "Nabiki, don't you do anything we're going to
regret!"
She cut them a brief glance then back and forth between
Akane and Anijza. "Hmm. The only solution I can see is to
allow them to fight."
"No!" shouted Ranma. "Anijza's too strong. She'll
kill Akane!"
"Have some faith, brother-in-law."
He did however have a point. Anijza did hold one
advantage, and that was the power bequeathed her as a
custodian of Hell.
"What do you say, big guy?"
Xue thought again. "Sweeten the pot," he answered.
"I knew you'd say that. Alright, Anijza gets Ranma and
Akane; you get me and my friends if she wins."
"Deal!"
"But!" continued Nabiki, "When Akane wins, we all go
free."
The protest from the others of the rescue party rose
with intensity. Xue muted their globe and smiled. "Is
there anything else?' he asked Nabiki.
"Ah-huh. Akane and Anijza fight equally. No powers.
Womano-un-Womano."
He nodded before letting out a loud roar of laughter.
"Do you all see why this soul will be on my staff!" he
proclaimed to the rest of his minions.
"Hey lets stay on one topic at a time here," Nabiki
said. "Are my terms satisfactory?"
"More than enough, Nabiki."
"Good. So, do we let them fight here?"
"I have a better place in mind."
Raising his hands, the demon slammed his palms together
and in a bright flash the occupants of the throne room
vanished.

* * * * *

Once all of the distortion and turmoil faded, Akane
found herself still trapped in her personal bubble but now
at one end of a large amphitheater. She wore a short skirt
toga similar to Anijza's only sheer white with matching
sandals and ivory bone belt. Looking around, the tiers were
filled with demonic spectators; to her left mounted high on
a center platform her imprisoned friends, directly across on
the other side sat Xue on his throne. Nabiki stood at the
foot of the steps, and then Akane spotted Ranma and Ranko
still chained to their racks, below them stood Anijza.
Her eyes were lit with fire; face a mask of hatred. At
first intimidating, but then Akane's resolve returned and
she returned the glower of contempt. There they both stood
as the citizens of this hellish plain ranted and cheered
waiting for the spectacle to begin. Up in his throne, Xue
observed with great joy as Nabiki stood conducting business
as usual, placing bets with some of his minions and jotting
down notes.
"Uhm, Nabiki," he called down to her. She jumped
startled for a second and then looked up. "I hope I am not
disturbing you?"
She smirked. "Frankly, yes," she replied as those of
his procession slinking quickly away. "I am in the middle
of some very important bets here."
"Nabiki!" screamed Ukyo, her face a vivid red. "Our
asses are on the line and you're placing bets?"
"Yeah!" shouted Ryoga, "This is a hell of a time for
that. put me down for Akane to win."
Flashing a thumb up to him, Nabiki turned her attention
back to the demon. "You see what I mean?"
His deep chuckle reverberated through the stones of the
amphitheater. "Oh, when you arrive there will be such a
party!" he told her.
"Please, you flatter me," Nabiki flatly replied.
"Nabiki," Xue called again. "You're on."
"I'm what?"
He gestured to the surrounding audience. Nabiki
immediately understood walking out to the center of the
amphitheater.
"Ladies and-." She paused gazing around at the
spectators. "Uh. Citizens of Hell, or wherever we are!
Welcome to the event of events. I present to you my little
sister; Akane Tendo, who will be kicking the stuff out of-."
"Ah, ah, ah," warned the demon, waving a finger at her.
Nabiki smirked and quickly changed her line. "-who
will be battling Anijza, Mistress of. her domains or
something like that."
"You insolent brat!" scowled Anijza. Nabiki ignored
her and continued.
"Today, they fight for the right of my brother-in-law;
Ranma Saotome!"
Out of thin air a spotlight panned on Ranma. He
shirked blinded briefly by the light then began to struggle
against the chains.
"Nabiki! Nabiki stop this!" he cried out. "Akane is
going to get hurt badly!"
"Now Ranma," said Nabiki, "have some faith in your
wife's abilities."
"No, you can't do this!"
Nabiki shrugged. "Sorry, out of our hands," she
replied.
"Well if you won't stop it, I know one way that will!"
Ranma looked down at Anijza. "Alright, Anijza, you wi-."
"RANMA SAOTOME!"
Akane's loud cry startled everybody in the
amphitheater, stopping Ranma.
"Don't you do it! Don't you say what I think you're
about to say!"
Ranma stared at Akane. "I can't see you get hurt," he
said.
"And you don't think I'll be hurt if you remain here in
Hell?" Akane pressed desperately against the glass giving
him a deep sorrowful look. "I can take her. Trust me, I
can take her."
"Give her a chance, Ranma," Ranko suddenly said.
"What? You were the one suggesting I surrender."
"That was before this. She's here now. Might as
well."
Sadly, Ranma looked back at Akane, and then hung his
head reluctantly nodding.
"So!" continued Nabiki, "As I was saying, the stakes
are high, (deyeah) are they ever high, but it will be a fair
and even match!"
She stopped, noticing Anijza's present state. "Uh, are
we not forgetting something here?" she called up to Xue.
He grinned, willing away Anijza's powers. She gasped,
the flames in her eyes fading out, sliding down the side of
the bubble to her knees.
"Excellent," said Nabiki. "And with that, all I can
say is. let the show begin!" She started backing away then
stopped for a moment. "Oh yes, I'll be taking all remaining
bets over here," she announced, pointing off to one side.
"Nabiki," called Xue.
"Uh, yes?"
He patted the edge of the step at his feet. "I want
you right here next to me."
"I guess saying no would be futile, eh?"
She vanished, appearing a split second later seated on
the step. "Yes," said Xue with a broad grin.
A cheer rose up through the crowed as their
anticipation grew. The globes holding Akane and Anijza slid
towards each other, stopping just a few feet apart. Both
women sneered viciously at each other, teeth barred ready to
commence battle. The roar increased, fist beating in
unison, voices chanting "Fight, Fight, Fight!" at the top of
their lungs.
Xue cut his eyes around at the excited crowd then
glanced down at Nabiki. She was closing last minute bets
and when she finished, cleared his throat. Nabiki gave him
a light nod of her head.
Pop!
Akane dashed out like an enraged panther towards
Anijza, leaping at her throat. They collided and Anijza
screamed as she was forced back slamming painfully to the
ground. Akane's fingers gripped tight around Anijza's neck,
repeatedly jerking her head up and down, screaming
obscenities into the sky as she did. The crowd in the
stands sat stunned for a moment, and then low cheering began
in support of this girl from the surface world.
"Holy smokes," gasped Mousse watching the furious
beating Anijza was receiving.
"Akane not so weak after all," said Shampoo.
"Let's hope she can end this quick," Ukyo said. "If
Anijza gets a breath, this might not turn out in our favor."
Just as she finished saying that, Anijza levered a foot
up into Akane's stomach. With a firm pull, she tossed her
high over her head breaking the hold on her neck. Akane
rolled across the ground to a stop dazed. She came up, only
to catch a fist to the chin that sent her tumbling once
more.
Anijza stalked after her. "I defeated you before,
Akane Tendo," she raged, kicking Akane in the side. "I will
defeat you here, and then I will torment your soul like none
have ever seen!"
Pain shot through Akane's stomach as she fought to stay
coherent. Anijza's steely fingers suddenly gripped her neck
and she was lifted high into the air. She gasped for air as
they closed tight, making one desperate try to dislodge this
demon from her. Her left leg shot out kicking Anijza in the
ribs. A normal blow that with her powers would not have
affected her, but Anijza felt the pain and dropped Akane to
the ground. A right rocked her jaw, rapid upper-cuts
pitching her straight back to the ground.
Akane leaped trying to get on top, but Anijza drew her
legs up kicking her away. As Akane slammed into the wall of
the amphitheater, Anijza slowly got to her feet. Akane sat
dazed against the wall and a piercing cry split the air as
Anijza charged.
"Akane, Akane get up!" shouted Ranma.
She must have heard him, looking groggily up in time to
see the bottom of Anijza's heeled sandal racing towards her
face. She let out a yell, Akane sliding fearfully to one
side and Anijza's blow slammed into the stone wall leaving a
very visible indentation as she pulled back. Akane tackled
Anijza and the two grappled, tumbling to the ground.
As the dust few around the struggling women, Xue leaned
forward resting his chin on his hand.
"Your sister fights well," he said. "I must say I am
impressed."
Nabiki however, did not enjoy seeing her sister taking
the hard blows Anijza was delivering. Every smack and hit
brought empathetic pain to her stomach. She willed back her
tears, trying to maintain an aura of superiority.
"My sister will win," she said as confidently as she
could.
"I taste your fear, Nabiki. It is understandable."
"That's the aftertaste of that stuff you've been
drinking," she replied. "I have all the confidence in the
world of my sister."
The demon laughed. "Well you may have, but some do
not," he said cutting his gaze over in Ranma's direction.
It was killing Ranma to be helpless watch the woman he
loved endure such punishment. Several times he wanted to
shout out enough and give in to Anijza's whims, and every
time he tried the determined look on Akane's face told him
not to do so. There may not have been blood running from
her wounds, but inside he felt every blow Akane took, every
scratch and cut received.
"I've got to stop this," he said.
"Akane knows what she's doing," Ranko said.
"You're not down there, and she's not your fianc'e
either!"
Ranko glared at him. "You forget we are, or were one,
remember?"
He frowned holding back his anger, and then a loud cry
from the brawl drew their attentions.
Anijza lay out on the ground; Akane on her back with an
armlock tight around her throat. She pulled up threatening
to snap Anijza's neck.
"Surrender, Anijza!" growled Akane.
"(Gyahhh!) Never, you. you little. Toad!" answered
Anijza.
Drawing in a gasp, Anijza concentrated hard. With a
sturdy heave, she came up on her knees despite Akane's best
efforts to hold her down. Another heave found Akane riding
Anijza's back. The pressure began to build in Anijza's
temples as her neck muscles strained against the pull on
them. Suddenly, Anijza thrust an elbow hard into Akane's
side. She winced, shifting, but then Anijza's other elbow
rammed deep into her stomach. Akane lost her grip and
dropped to the ground panting for breath.
Anijza staggered away hacking and gasping for air.
Angrily, she turned and placed a dark glower on Akane. A
devious smile formed seeing her nemesis helpless. She
leaned slightly forward making a slight jerk sideways that
kicked her long ponytail up into the air. It whirled and
Anijza continued whipping it around, and then with a sharp
snap sent the bejeweled end racing towards Akane.
"AHHH!" cried Akane as the sharp edges slashed across
the side of her face. She fell back writhing in pain
clutching her face. Another slash cut across her hands and
Akane rolled desperately on the ground.
"Hey," said Nabiki, now full of open concern for her
sister. "That's not fair!"
"Oh, but it is, Nabiki," answered Xue.
"But this they were supposed to be even!"
"And they are. I removed all of Anijza's powers, but
you said nothing about her wardrobe."
"But-?"
"Ah, no but's here. Anijza is only using her natural
skills."
Nabiki stared out fearfully at her sister. "So, uh.
Assistant Chief Administrator?"
Xue laughed. "It is a good position. You'll like it,
trust me."
Meanwhile, Akane knelt on one knee enduring the searing
pain coursing through her face and arms. Her head hung
down, but she heard Anijza's annoying titter above the
crowds roar, felt the rush of air as she whipped her deadly
ponytail closer and closer.
"Now, you little toad," said Anijza, "I'll slice you
into a myriad of pieces before grinding your soul into the
dirt!"
Akane's eyes snapped open as an idea struck her.
Anijza's laughter increased as she prepared to carry out her
threat, but Akane ignored it. Concentrating, she made a
mental count of the ponytail's sweep beat then rolled
underneath towards Anijza. Her surprise was complete, and
as she came upright, Akane grabbed a hand full of dirt
throwing it into Anijza's face blinding her. A solid fist
crashed into her chin, Anijza staggering back. Akane tried
to follow but a last desperate backhand caught her across
the face adding to the searing pain she was already
experiencing.
Both women staggered away to the far walls of the
amphitheater. Akane felt the rough sides of the stone and
slid down to the ground. She wanted to cry, so much pain
rushing through her then a voice called down from above.
When Akane managed to look up, she realized then that she
lay beneath Ranma's rack on the wall.
"Akane," he desperately called down to her again.
"Ranma-."
"I can't see you suffer anymore, Akane. I'm going to
give in to Anijza." He looked at Anijza. "You hear me,
Anijza! I'm giving-!"
A sharp blow to his leg stopped Ranma from finishing.
Somehow, Akane managed to find the strength to leap up and
hit him before he could utter the words that would seal
their fate.
"No you don't, Ranma!" she shouted at him.
"Akane, she's kicking your ass!"
"No she's not! Now I told you before I can take her,
and I will!"
Ranma could see Anijza clearing the final bits of dirt
from her eyes. Taking the end of her ponytail in one hand,
she started moving towards them.
"Akane, please no more! I can't. I don't. I-I-I care
about you too much!"
For a moment, all the pain she felt melted away and
Akane smiled lovingly up at him. "Ranma. don't you believe
in me?"
He hesitated; and there was not much time Anijza
halfway across the grounds.
"Yes, yes I do," he replied.
"Then that's all I need."
Turning, Akane sneered at Anijza ready to give battle
once more. That ponytail with the sharp jewels would be a
major obstacle to victory; Akane quickly undoing the belt of
bone she wore and wrapped it tight around her left hand and
forearm.
They squared of, Anijza twirling the end of her
ponytail ready to slice Akane to pieces.
"I will kill you, Akane Tendo!" Anijza shouted.
"Like I said, already dead so bring it on, bitch!"
Like a red bolt of lightening, Anijza's ponytail lashed
out. Akane ducked and ran aside taking a stance with her
arms up protectively in front of her face. Anijza pressed
her next attack, but this time Akane stood her ground. She
deflected the blows with the belt waiting until finally an
opening appeared between the attacks. She lunged planting a
fist square in Anijza's face rocking her backwards.
Anijza staggered, and before she could recover Akane
grabbed a fist full of her ponytail, planted one foot in the
middle of her back and pulled. A sharp rip carried across
the amphitheater, stunned eyes staring with disbelief as
Akane tore it from the back of Anijza's head.
"Oh, oh, oh that had to have hurt!" exclaimed Mousse
gripping his own head and hair with empathetic pain.
Anijza screamed and wailed groping frantically around
at the wide bald spot on the back of her head. She spun
around and was greeted by a solid right, then a left
stumbling further back across the field. Akane was right on
her, delivering a series of uppercuts that staggered Anijza.
She stepped back and then launched a roundhouse kick sending
Anijza headlong towards the foot of the wall below Xue's
throne.
".no." she moaned. Trembling hands pulled the once
arrogant demoness to her feet. Anijza pressed back against
the wall barely able to stand. A hand took her by the front
of her toga and she screamed as she was slammed face first
into the ground. Akane turned her over planting a knee on
her chest pinning Anijza down.
"Give?" asked Akane between breaths.
".n-n-never, you toad!"
Akane punched her. "Not the right answer! You can't
win, Anijza! Give up!"
"No!"
"Stubborn bitch!"
Several more blows rained down on Anijza until an
invisible hand pushed Akane aside.
Xue sat staring down at Anijza disgust etched deep in
his face. Another thought and a globe formed around her.
"Master!" she cried but to no avail.
"You have lost, Anijza," he replied.
A cheer rose up not only from the rest of the rescue
party, but from several spectators as well.
"She did it, she did it, Ranko!" Ranma exclaimed.
"See? I told you to have faith in her."
In their prison, the rest of the team hugged each other
glad to have been spared a premature relocation to this
accursed life.
"We're going home, we're going home!" said Ryoga,
hugging Ukyo tight.
"Yes, that bitch got her ass kicked but good!" Ukyo
said. "Ryoga."
"Yes?"
"This is nice, but uh, you're not my type."
Ryoga reacted like he was holding a hot potato, drawing
away as far as he could, whistling innocently up towards the
sky.
On the grounds, Nabiki rushed over to Akane's inert
form. "Akane, Akane?" she said patting her lightly on one
cheek.
Akane stirred and slowly opened her eyes. "Did I win?
she asked.
"Oh did you ever, and I have made such a killing here!"
"Yeah, and I'm okay too, Nabiki. A little banged up
but otherwise fine."
Together the two sisters stood up and faced Xue. His
attention was still locked upon Anijza, and he steamed with
fury.
"I had hoped for better, little one," he seethed
through barred teeth. "The souls you have allowed to elude
my grasp will cost you dearly."
"No, Master! Please, please, spare me!" Anijza went
to her knees hands clasped before her. "I beg of you, have
mercy!"
"Mercy!" roared the demon. "You violate the laws! You
fail to fulfill your payment to me, and you beg me for
mercy?" His red eyes narrowed, face livid with rage. "No,
Anijza. You will be severely punished for your crimes."
He extended a hand and to Anijza's profound horror,
dark spot began forming on her skin. She screamed as her
youth began to fade, deep folds of wrinkled skin sagging
from her arms and legs. She cried and gripped at her hair
only to draw out fist full of brittle clumps of reddish-grey
strands.
"Uh, excuse me," Nabiki called out. He turned towards
her. "Not wanting to interrupt your disciplinary action,
but uhm, there is the matter of our agreement?"
Xue hesitated and then sat back in his throne. "Oh
yes, you and your friends."
With a snap of his fingers, the rest of the rescue
party tumbled out onto the ground as their prison vanished.
"Ow, that wasn't very nice," commented Konatsu as they
stood up.
"Nabiki, you and your friends are free to go," declared
Xue.
"Great. ah, not so great. Could you find it in your
dark mystical ways to-?"
"Send you back?" A hearty laugh emanated from him,
unable to control himself. "Nabiki, you will be such a joy
around here."
"Hey pal! Nothing's definite yet," she snapped. "Now
if you would, please?"
"Okay, okay, settle down."
A rumble split the air followed by a rush of wind
chilling the team. There came a long creak like that of a
door, and from out of thin air a dark portal opened up
behind them.
"Wait a minute!" shouted Akane. "What about Ranma?"
"Yes, what about my husband?" added Shampoo.
The demon cast a quick glance over at Ranma. "Your man
will be returned to you, young lady," he replied, "but he
must go a different route."
"Yeah and how do we know you will honor the agreement?"
asked Ukyo.
Xue's fist tightened, knuckle's creaking by the affront
to him. He leaned forwards and growled menacingly at them.
"He will be returned," he said in a dark tone. "Even I
must follow the laws."
Nabiki swallowed her lump of fear and began ushering
the other along. "Let's not be antagonizing him any
further," she told them.
They headed for the portal, everyone that is but Akane;
who stood staring at Ranma. He gazed back at her and the
two traded smiles. Akane faced Xue once more.
"He better be there, or I'll be back," she said.
"Hmm, your spirit is strong young one. How would you
like a job, hm?"
Akane narrowed a brow. "No thank you," she answered,
and spun on her heels.
"Good bye, Nabiki Tendo," said the demon as the other
began to follow Akane. "I am looking forward to our
reunion."
"One that will never happen if I can help it," Nabiki
called back. Kodachi's annoying titters added to her
growing concerns.
"And you too, Kodachi Kuno," he added, "You I also have
big plans for as well."
Kodachi quickly ran into the portal.
As the last of the rescue team disappeared, the portal
closed leaving a swirl of dust where it once stood. With a
sigh, Xue snapped his fingers and Ranma suddenly fell to the
ground with a loud cry. He shook off his pain and stood up.
"So, youngster. I suppose I should be sending you on
your way as well."
"Would be nice."
A loud wail cut the air, Anijza, now reduced to the
withered form of an old hag, pressed up against the side of
her prison, sad eyes pleading out to Ranma for him to stay.
Ranma felt some compassion for her plight, but after what
she had done to him and his friends, it wasn't enough to
change his mind.
"Enjoy your stay, Anijza," said to her.
"RRRRAAANNNNNMMAAAA. pleeeeeaaaasssseeee!!!!!"
Ranma turned his back to her.
"Nicely said," commented Xue. He conjured up a ball of
flame, tossing it out into the center of the amphitheater.
It flashed forming into a solid pillar rising up high into
the sky.
"I have to go into that?" asked Ranma.
"Death by fire, life by fire. Another of the rules we
have," he answered with a shrug.
Steeling himself, Ranma faced the fire. He stepped
back ready to run into it when another voice called out to
him.
"Ranma!"
It was Ranko, still chained to wall. She stared
fearfully at him and he knew he could not leave without
settling her fate.
"What about her?" he asked.
The demon arched a brow. "You are free of your curse
now, young man. Her fate is no longer your concern."
"But she was part of me, and that means she still is
part of my life."
Arching a brow, Xue cast a wry look on him. "Do you
know what you are saying? Do you know what you do now will
affect more than one life?"
It was hard for Ranma. After all of these years too
finally be rid of his curse only to have it come back. He
could not leave Ranko at the mercies of this hellish world;
no that would be wrong. Reluctantly, Ranma gave him a nod.
"Very well. Remember, you are the one who agreed to
this."
"I. I know."
Xue stood up. "Brave man you are," he said, and
slapped his palms together.