[Ranma][Review] Taleswapper's Quarterly Post

Talswapr

Aug 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/3/97

***Taleswapper's Third Quarter FY 97 Post***

My Favorite Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction,
April - June, 1997

by Taleswapper
(tals...@aol.com)

This posting is an ASCII version of an article available at my home page,
http://members.aol.com/talswapr/index.html. The HTML version includes
links to the stories described.

Prologue

It's a busy time in my life and this post has been delayed. I hope you
find it worth your wait.

My Ranma 1/2 "Fanfic Year" (FY) runs from October 1 to September 30. The
third quarter of FY 97, therefore, ended on June. All Ranma fanfics posted
to Rec.Arts.Anime.Creative are eligible to be counted among my favorites.
At the end of the FY, I will honor the best of the best in The 1997
Taleswapper Awards. Nominated for these fictitious fiction awards are the
stories praised in the post, as well as those I wrote up in the two

_Total Recall _by Martin Bennett
_A Real Man _by Doughboy
_Flambe!_ by Bridget Engman
_Shizuku_ by Bridget Engman
_Paint it Black_ by Paul Herring
_A Peaceful Life_ by Gary Kleppe
_Thy Outward Part _by Richard Lawson
_Succession: The Final Part of the Sunrise Chronicles_ by Nicholas Leifker
_Smoke and Mirrors_ by Mike Loader
_Orange_ by Joseph Palmer
_A Lesson in Love_ by Marisa Price
_Sour Milk Sea_ by "McKinley Morganfield"
_Tales of Ranma & Nabiki _Part 8 by "McKinley Morganfield"
_Black Roses: A Love Story _by Shazorn
_Dark Family_ (Part 1) by Bryan Stone
_Cure for a Broken Heart_ by Sharon Tripp
_Chasing the Wind_ by J. Austin Wilde

"The Taleswapper Treatment" at my home page provides some detail on how I
put my posts together. I should note that there are stories that should
have been listed here, but weren't. See "Mea Culpa" at my home page for an
explanation.

***Best Ranma Fanfics, Third Quarter, FY 97***

The stories described below are my favorites for the Third Quarter, an
especially rich period in Ranma 1/2 fanfic. I'll not say it was the best
quarter ever, even if I think it was, for the writers will probably
surpass it *next* quarter.

***
As Ranma went to kiss her, Geisha promptly wedged
her big head between them, forcing them apart.
"Hey.. Watch it, will ya?" Akane sputtered, angrily.
"I swear, Ranma, that horse is jealous!" She spat,
wiping her blouse. Geisha raised her head and looked
full-on at Akane, snorting indignantly.
"Same to you." Akane responded, levelly.
***

_A Horse is a Horse; Unless..._ by V. Coutu

Though I hadn't realized it, I've been waiting for a story like _Horse_.
Coutu takes a staple plot - a western character with a Jusenkyo curse -
that typically signals for me a boring fanfic and builds it into a work so
entertaining that I'm left wanting more. The refreshingly different
directions in which the author takes this fic combine with a fluid, witty
writing style to make _Horse_ a story I have enjoyed on several readings.

Avoiding the cliches associated with the fanfictional gaijin encountered
by Ranma, Coutu has created a pleasingly novel character. Simple
believability distinguishes Elysses's demeanor. Her responses to the
absurd situations typical of Ranma 1/2 are refreshingly unaffected, free
from the obtrusive missions on which other fanfic authors send their
original characters. The tragicomic path that led to her fateful encounter
with Ranma radiates the spirit of the manga, and her personal history in
no way diminishes the Ranma 1/2 tale being told. Thus, despite her
foreignness, Elysse fits neatly into the Ranma universe. And her secret
pledge at story's end holds the promise of the sort of romantic intrigue I
can't get enough of in fanfic.

The first part of the story, told mainly from Ranma's perspective, more
clearly showcases the author's prose talent than does Elysse's time in the
spotlight. The treats are many and diverse. The authentic details of
horsemanship add depth and substance to the charming depiction of the
Saotome's weekend diversion. The amusing, flirtatious interplay between
Ranma and Akane delights, reminding me of what I liked best in _Dark
Family_. The revelation of Geisha's secret, perhaps a little too drawn
out, is nevertheless entertaining and keenly scripted.

***
"Promise me...you'll always...always look after me...
like this...if you do...I...won't be...scared..."
***

_Acceptance_ by Darren Demaine

Catharsis is not, by itself, artistic. Pouring one's heart out over an
intensely emotional experience, however sincere, is too easy to make for
noteworthy storytelling. Certainly, emotional honesty can serve as the
effective core for fanfic, for any art. With this perspective, I have
several times been affected, but ultimately unimpressed, by Ranma 1/2
fanfics based on the exploration of emotions surrounding episodes of
tragedy or angst. And so, with precious few exceptions, such fics have not
been among my favorites.

And so I was intrigued when Demaine, an author whose work has often
delighted me, seemed to be embarking down the path to the tearful
graveside confessions that seem a weekly occurrence in Nerima. For I had
faith that this author would apply craft and finesse to the fic, even if
it were yet another "sadfic" with yet another Akane added to the corpses
that litter the archive.

My faith was rewarded. In _Acceptance_, Demaine shows off some new tricks,
furnishing high imagery content not seen in _Ranma .05_ or his other
works. The landmark lemon, so remarkably faithful to the manga, relied
mostly on staging and action for dramatic and comic efficacy. But in
_Acceptance_, the scenery often takes the spotlight, upstaging the
characters and their activities. More specifically, the tempestuous
climate becomes a genuine presence, very clearly setting the tone and even
interacting with the characters. Constant and demanding, the storm nags
Ranma, maddening him with reminders of his failings with Akane. Less
obvious but equally effective is the stark ambience of the hospital, which
seems to stifle hope and, by its contrast, to highlight the
beautiful climactic scene that occurs there.

Ranma's confrontation with Nabiki is not nearly as strong as the other
parts of _Acceptance_. The rambling monologues seem overcomplex,
rehearsed, and irreconcilable with the characters speaking them. But its
conclusion shines with a sort of homespun wisdom, and with the
affectionate and sisterly tone that I think Demaine was trying to
establish in the rest of the scene.

The red herring passage is done very well, though less would have been
more. Perhaps because I had prepared myself for a cathartic mourning
scene, the conclusion was surprisingly touching. Beginning with
Takahashi-inspired humor, the scene transitions to the same endearing
sincerity that marked the "deathbed" scene. Contrasted against that
funereal ambience, the depiction of Ranma's honesty is more heartening
than it would be in another context. A nice trick.

And so Demaine can be forgiven for using a little bit of creative
vocabulary, such as "un-right" and "expressionate."

***
Cologne found herself fighting for her life. She saw
now that Ranma had been holding back in his previous
encounters with her, using only as much force as
necessary... but now, for the first time, he was truly
fighting beyond himself, and there was something in
his eyes that frightened her. She was growing
desperate, for his power and speed were growing with
each moment and she could not hold him off much longer.
***

_Neko-phobia_ Part 1: _Akane-san Wa Neko-chan Da Yo_ by David Eddy

As an opening chapter, _Neko-phobia_ 1 succeeds in eliciting interest for
future parts. Eddy takes the oft-used cursed-Akane plot and supplements it
with superior writing and new directions in characterization. The author's
smooth prose is illustrative and evocative in a modest, subdued way. The
long descriptive passages have fluidity that makes them seem brief,
enhancing their impact.

Most appealing and original is Eddy's conception of a new component in the
Ranma-Akane relationship: the notion that husband is duty-bound to improve
his wife's martial skills. I was fascinated by the passage in which we
follow Ranma through his personal reflections on this idea. In the context
of _Neko-phobia_, ensuring Akane's physical security is a topic with
unexpected emotional impact.

Eddy's characterization of the angry Nabiki (loved her in _Sunrise_,
dontcha know) is absorbing and I hope to see that idea explored further.
In this chapter, I was impressed by the author's portrayal of her cold
fury and the spiteful sardonicism in her manner as Akane's enemies are
discussed. Balancing these elements are Ranma's more noble attitudes about
vengeance and violence. Relying only on description of outward signs, the
author effectively communicates Ranma's conflicted emotions without
introspective details.

***
He was the center of our lives, the heart of our
pattern. We revolved around him. When he died, the
pattern broke apart. I can see it now, with my witch's
sight. The pattern is broken and frayed, but the links
still exist. I don't know how it can still exist with
so many people dead and gone, but it is there.

It is waiting for him.
***

_Ranma 2096: Gisei_ by Jeffrey Paul Hosmer

The author of _Lies_ has again succeeded in applying elements of
horror/suspense fiction to Ranma 1/2. Simultaneously, Hosmer fills in some
very intriguing details in the _Ranma 2096_ continuity. The _2096_
universe is built on many intriguing and rather original ideas, yet even
in this context _Gisei_ shines with noticeable uniqueness.

Hosmer's prose remains well above the curve, even though the level of
quality of the average Ranma fanfic improves measurably each quarter. The
terse first-person narrative rivets one's attention at once, demanding
sympathy and intimacy. A fusion of journal-style and
stream-of-consciousness, the storytelling in _Gisei_ draws us into
Shampoo's life and mind to share her pain and remorse. Even when Shampoo
reveals her most repellent secrets and her most awful history, the reader
identifies with her, is very nearly at one with her.

The horrific elements of the story are consistently effective, each
terrible confession staggers. This achievement extends even to the scene
of graphic violence, which I found to be heavy-handed. _Gisei_ is at its
riveting best when the writing is indirect, the horror understated. Such
subtlety is very much preferable to calculated attempts to make us squirm.

Add to Hosmer's list of accomplishments the success in telling, within
this setting of dread, a story of great and soulful love. The devotion
evident in many of the relationships that Hosmer very compactly describes
can be inspiring, even amid the atrocities portrayed in _Gisei_.

***
There was a time - it felt long ago, but he could
remember, not that long - that he would have died
before wearing such clothes - at least, not without
a purpose, a plan, a reason; modeling for Happosai
had restored his strength, shopping with his mother
had saved his life, but this - what has this given
him, what reason excuses this familiarity? That
defiance, that resistance had been essential to him,
core; had he just dismissed it outright? No - there
had to be a reason.
***

_Reflective Snapshot_ by Michael J. Noakes

This past year, the notion of conflict and ambiguity in Ranma's sexual
identity has inspired several writers. In fics ranging from comic farces
to serious examination of gender roles, we have seen many variations on
the idea that Ranma may not always be 100 percent devoted to life as a
man. In this wealth of stories, however, two stories have matched this
intriguing topic with even more compelling craftsmanship. The two are like
bookends, equal in quality, but opposing in structure. On one end is _Thy
Outward Part_, the tale of a permanently transformed Ranma's long struggle
to deny her female sexuality. On the opposite side is _Reflective
Snapshot_, in which Ranma realizes that he long ago gave up the fight to
salvage his complete manhood.

Noakes' work is a masterpiece of realism, portraying emotional trauma as
it most often occurs: in muted, private, contemplative moments. If _Thy
Outward Part_ (and its sequels) is a bang, _Snapshot_ is a whimper. But
its silence is deafening, as peaceful normalcy sets a contrasting
background for sudden dramatic introspection. The contrast fuels emotion
and pathos; nothing momentous occurs, yet Ranma's life is drastically
changed.

The author's mastery of cleanly detailed prose is key to the stunning
vigor of this fic. A door slams downstairs, a snail makes its way up the
wall. These microscopic vignettes paint a picture of quiet domestic
routine, providing a foil for one of the best introspective paragraphs
I've seen in any fanfic. As you can see in the excerpt above, Noakes'
eloquence is very nearly poetic. His use of run-on sentences establishes a
quasi-stream-of-consciousness tone that reflects the speed and
disjointedness of the natural thought process.

The story's ending is appropriately stirring, though the action is still
nonexistent. One's heart breaks as Ranma silences the cries of the young
adventurer who begs him to escape into martial errancy. Is this conclusion
chilling, or merely melancholy? It may even be uplifting, if you've got
nothing against a happy marriage and the fulfillment of family life. Do
such rewards outweigh the aspirations of the screaming and manly youth who
dwells within Ranma? There is much to consider here, and that is to
Noakes' credit.

***
"She wasn't very happy about that, she wanted to
set another date."
"When?"
Akane grabbed and snuggled his arm. "Oh, Ranma!
I've been waiting so long to hear that question!"
Ranma stopped in mid stride. "Huh?"
Akane put her finger to his lips. "Shhh. I was just
joking."
Ranma's panic subsided, but there was something new
here, an unspoken agreement to ignore the inevitable,
at least for a while, and enjoy what they have.
***

_Black_ by Joseph Palmer

It's out there. Remember in the movie _When Harry Met Sally_ the scene in
which, turned down by Sally, Harry tries to take back his sexual
proposition? She tells him he _can't_ take it back because "It's out
there."

So it is with Ranma and Akane in _Black_. Having danced very near the edge
of the precipice in _Orange_, they have added to their relationship a
dimension that is at once frightening and delightful. _It_ is out there
and their lives are colored by the expectation, the inevitability of _it_.
Now, depending on your frame of mind when you read _Black_, "it" can mean
marriage or sex. Palmer coyly raises both subjects more than once in the
story, causing considerable discomfort for the young couple.

How ironic that, while introducing such mature themes to the
"Seasons/Colors" continuity, Palmer has adapted his story to more closely
conform with the youthful, mischievous spirit of the Ranma 1/2 manga. The
subdued tone of _Spring_ and _Summer_ has given way, first to outright
bawdiness in _Orange_, then in _Black_ to Takahashi-style farce. In the
first half of the story especially, Palmer stages scenes that might have
been pulled right out of a tankubon: the opening misunderstanding, Genma's
training, Nabiki's acquisition.

This direction in Palmer's work is gratifying, and I hope to see a
entirely comic piece from him one day. But I'm not ready to give up on the
more tranquil exploration of emotions that distinguished his earlier fics.
Fortunately for me, _Black_ provides plenty of contemplative ambience to
balance the humor. Critical to this atmosphere is the painstaking detail
in which the author has constructed his stage and scenery. Apparently
grounded in on-the-scene research, Palmer provides for the characters a
most authentic and convincing Nerima in which to play out scenes that are
indistinguishable from real-life romance. As ever, the soul of Palmer's
writing, whether telling a joke or a love story, is rich imagery.

Of course, the main reason to re-read _Black_ is to revel in its uplifting
final scene. Ranma's courageous initiative unfolds with realistic
spontaneity. Its aftermath is at once ethereal and solid, unifying emotion
and tangible action. Whether the conclusion of "Colors" is to be sex or
marriage or both, I have to believe that we have seen the story's true
consummation.

***
Nabiki felt a scream of frustration building in her.
This whole week, especially the past few days had been
so taxing. Matching wits with Cologne was not an easy
task. And even though she succeeded in getting the
confession from the old ghoul and the bimbo, she
couldn't help but feel...
Something clicked.
The past week. She'd only started thinking of an
engagement with Ranma this past week. Since the blood
spell.
Why only the past week? Why had her feelings
changed?
Nabiki felt her eyes widen, and her heart began to
pound.
***

_Hearts of Ice_ (Chapters 1-14) by Krista Perry

There are now dozens of Ranma fan fiction works that are of extended
length, some that would even qualify as novels. Despite my stated
preference for fanfics that count brevity among their features, several of
these very long works are among my favorites. When such long works gain my
highest favor, I am so taken by their enjoyable storylines and superior
writing that I'm able to see past any weaknesses.

Such blurring of critical vision, however, was entirely unnecessary in the
case of _Hearts of Ice_. For no Ranma fanfic author has approached in an
extended work the achievement that Perry repeats with each new chapter:
consistent, enduring excellence of storytelling. Like a superhuman athlete
able to maintain sprinting speed over the course of a marathon, Perry is
relentless in presenting her readers with highest-quality fanfic. We are
left reeling by an unremitting onslaught of expertly crafted language,
sensually rendered scenes, soulful romance, and characters of
extraordinary depth.

I am usually unexcited by Ranma fanfics which draw inspiration and
material from folklore or fantasy literature, or from their far less
artistic progeny, fantasy roleplaying games. But with _HoI_, I found
myself caught up for the first time in a fanfic author's attempts to meld
the Ranma 1/2 universe with a serious treatment of traditional myth and
legend. Perry is not the first author to grace Ranma fanfic with the
fruits of research into Japanese culture and folklore. But her efforts
have been for me the most enthralling by far.

Clearly the key to Perry's success has been the ability to weave
traditional story elements so unobtrusively into _HoI_. The fic is not
spoiled by lengthy discourse on Japanese cultural history, nor by overdone
arcane or heraldic language that mythical characters are "supposed to"
speak, nor by overelaborate fantasy milieux through which readers must be
guided by some dungeonmaster.

Through the first 14 chapters of _HoI_, more than 700 kilobytes of fanfic,
there are dozens of beautifully scripted moments that endure in my memory.
The cinematically vivid spell-casting scene continues to chill me and I
can still feel the palpable tension generated by the approach of the spell
"missile." I remain affected by the impact of Ranma's dream when Yuki-onna
comes to attempt his murder, and by the tragic failure of the rescue
attempt and Akane's and Ranma's
emotional honesty in that heartrending moment. The excitement of Nabiki's
first showdown with Cologne and of Tengu's battle with the Shadowcat still
resonates.

The soulful appeal of _HoI_ is matched by its artistry. Perry's prose has
an unpretentious, conversational tone that provides a complementary
backdrop for the story's intense scenes. The unassuming writing style is
balanced by sophisticated devices that build depth and richness
unsurpassed in Ranma fics. Witness the attention lavished on such details
as the color of auras, indicating mood and spirit. Revel in enchanting
descriptions like "the silky chestnut halo" of
Ukyou's hair or Ranma-neko's "wild blue eyes peering through matted red
bangs."

It's almost criminal that emotional allure and stylistic excellence should
appear in the same fanfic as refreshingly inventive plotting, but Perry
pulls off the stunt ably. Apart from the fulfilling love story at _HoI_'s
core, two plot elements stand out as monumental. First is the deftly
executed tale of Akane forgotten, in which Perry spins a most fascinating
alternate reality. By definition, the revised history produced by Akane's
disappearance from memory is fragile and unbelievable. But
the brief time for which the Akaneless world endures is as captivating as
any of the many AltReal's conjured up by fanfic authors. Particularly
captivating was Nabiki's cool confrontation with Shampoo and Ukyou as she
joins the iinazuke rivalry.

The second extraordinary plotting factor is Perry's ingenious conception
of a supernatural origin story for the neko-ken. I've no idea if there
really is a "Shadowcat" in Japanese folklore, but the notion of tying such
a mystical entity to the ailurophobia-inducing training regimen left me
shaking my head in admiration. Moreover, the author uses this plot element
as a springboard from which to launch the finest attempt in all fanfic to
portray Ranma's cat-psyche.

Superior characterization flows from the other qualities of Perry's work.
Most exemplary of the author's ability to add depth and appeal to the
Ranma 1/2 pantheon is her treatment of Akane. In fanfic, while the
youngest Tendo is usually lovable, she is rarely admirable. This
shortcoming occurs primarily because, even in the hands of the best fanfic
authors, Akane rarely transcends the limitation of being the back half of
"Ranma and." _HoI _joins a short list of fics (such as the classic
_Nightshadow_) in which Akane is developed into a strong, independent
person of enviable character.

This lengthy and yet unfinished fanfic is worth reading and re-reading if
only for Chapter 12, so tightly packed with high drama, intense feelings,
and dizzying plot twists. One of my all-time favorite passages, excerpted
above, portrays the detective-like cogitation of Nabiki, as she finds
within her own state of mind evidence for a vanished sister. Beginning
with an engrossing depiction of a Nabiki who may be in love with Ranma,
Perry evokes the charm that draws us all to
alternate reality fics. Then, the mood intensifies as we follow Nabiki
through her psychological sleuthing process. Finally, the case solved, the
scene fades with a quietly moving conclusion. What a masterful work!
Chapter 12 also features the arresting moment of Ranma's confrontation
with Shampoo, which transitions into the heartbreaking settlement of the
Ranma-Shampoo-Mousse triangle.

This is the part where it is appropriate for me to mention how eagerly I
await the concluding chapters of _HoI_. To be honest, I am quite satisfied
and even a little worn out by the unrelenting excellence of the 14
chapters already posted to RAAC. I have faith that Perry has an effective,
moving climax and resolution in store for her readers. But I don't think
this fan fiction experience can get any better, for it is already one of
the very best.

***
Ranma slowly turned over so that he was lying on his
stomach. Nabiki straddled him, sitting on his rear.
She shushed his protests and began to knead his
shoulders. She'd had some practice at this. She'd
learned a few things from her father, and soon
Ranma's shoulders began to loosen up.
"Very good," she said teasingly. "You're going to
need to be as relaxed as possible tomorrow or you
won't enjoy it."
He said nothing, but she heard a small sigh of
partly contentment and partly apprehension.
***

_Power_by "Nabiki Tendo"

Fascinating and irresistible, _Power_ is perhaps the most intelligent of
all Ranma 1/2 lemon fics. This reverse-rape fantasy may also be the most
erotic. The anonymous author paints an eye-popping portrait of a
seduction, on a canvas of sharp and attractive prose. Like all the best
lemons, the plotting and the writing style are rich enough to ensure a
highly appealing story even without the salacious content.

Balancing evocative detail with rapid pacing, "Tendo" demonstrates
expertise in storytelling. Each paragraph entices as capably as the Nabiki
portrayed in the fic, luring readers into the next passage, captivating
us. This sort of composition is most fitting to depict the psychology and
means of a seductress who walks a fine line between invitation and
coercion. Particularly impressive are the moments of pretense, when Nabiki
overcomes Ranma's reluctance with feigned passion.

I hope to see more of "Tendo's" work, for the author seems unusually
skillful. It would be most interesting to see this ability applied to a
story with more ambitious content and a more intricate plot.

***
Ranma's shoulders sagged. It *was* his fault.
Everybody knew it - had known it. Everybody but him.
He had been thoughtless, rude and cruel - to the
person that he loved the most. He *had* been turning
into his father. Ranma shuddered at the thought,
and hung his head in shame.
***

_The Bitter End_ by Zen

What a luxury to expound on _The Bitter End_, so long after the storm
whipped up by Zen's fic has passed. Like anyone who taxes their brain
cells by carefully considering the merits of Ranma fan fiction works, I
regard _TBE_ with esteem that is mixed and maybe a little confused. For
the fic's greatest strengths are inextricably bound up with glaring flaws.
Best-in-class story elements and prose artistry intermingle with mediocre
and unexciting passages. But the story's enduring and striking character
make clear that Zen has accomplished everything he probably set out to do,
and its resonance in my memory makes clear that _TBE_ has everything I
look for in my favorite fics.

While there has rightly been much controversy about _TBE_'s version of
Akane, Zen's storytelling skills were up to the task of credibly linking
her growing irrational fury with a diagnosable disease. In scene after
meticulously scripted scene, the author shows how Akane's unreasoning
anger emerges, fuels illogical thinking, and then increases as her
rationalizations become more dreadful. Plain and simple: it works; and in
the context of the normally lighthearted and uncerebral Ranma 1/2, this
success is most noteworthy.

To me, however, _TBE_'s greatest success is the portrayal of Ranma's
deterioration into the role of victim. It was this enormous
transformation, and not the horrific Akane, that engaged my greatest
scrutiny and most profoundly disturbed me as I first made my way through
the fic. The Ranma Saotome of _TBE_ is defined by diminishing strength and
spirit and by increasing despair and debasement. While notions of
portraying Takahashi's creations "in character" are for me not useful in
assessing fanfics, I am most gratified when authors make the effort to
provide substantive background or rationale for the new dimensions they
add to the Ranma 1/2 cast members.

This effort was not apparent to me on my first reading of _TBE_, so
shocked was I by Zen's new definition of Ranma as a too-passive casualty
of Akane's mania. But once I got past this overly emotional response, a
more technical review of _TBE_ was possible. My second look revealed what
I consider the fic's greatest treasure: the convincing tale of a man's
fall from strength and vibrancy and his awful descent into victimhood. Zen
liberally seasons the story with often mesmerizing details that explain
how an otherwise confident, assertive warrior might assume the mantle of
the battered. The honor-bound promise that Nodoka extracts from Ranma sets
him on the downward slope. His _soi disant_ inadequacy as a husband
accelerates Ranma's collapse as his self-esteem crumbles to self-loathing.
The final stages of Ranma's personal ruin are evidenced by physical
manifestations that bring low his once-mighty body.

Ranma fanfic, happily for me, is refreshingly clean of "messages" and
"social relevance." Authors have for the most part avoided using Ranma
fics to advocate for or against causes, "-isms," and the like. If I want a
sermon, I'll watch _Roseanne_. In this frame of (closed) mind, I
approached _TBE_ with some trepidation, didactic content having become
part its reputation before the fic hit
RAAC. I started out with grave doubts about the support group storyline,
so alien to the established Ranma 1/2 milieu, and so unavoidably preachy.

Yet despite the tedious moralizing and educating that are part and parcel
of the support group scenes, Zen succeeded with this storyline in
expanding my interest in the story as a whole. By linking Ranma's martial
arts teaching with the group's activities, the author actually made this
most discordant story element fit very neatly into the Ranma 1/2 universe,
playing off some of its most noble themes. Helping Zen's cause are his
engrossing and well-staged scenes depicting Ranma as he walks the women
through the basics of self-defense.

In other portions of the fic, unencumbered by the tedium of _TBE_'s
"message," Zen has provided memorable scenes of great impact and lively
imagery. The confrontation after Akane barges into the Ucchan is
especially well played. I was captivated by the drama of Ukyou's strained
effort to bite back a violent reprise and by the power of her cool,
considered threats.

Very admirable were the creativity and effectiveness of the
shifting-perspective climax, each "restart" building an enormous sense of
disorientation. Better if the author had decided to move directly from
that innovative sequence to the second installment of the framing story
featuring Ryouga. The denouement, with its overdone cries of anguish as
the cast parades by Ranma's casket, was extraneous and clumsy. The short
explanation of Akane's fate is unnecessary in light of the framing story.
After the startling violence of the climax, Ryouga's anguish at Akane's
state and his astute examination of his own history of rage serve as an
eloquent counterbalance.

In my opinion.

Taleswapper
July 27, 1997