[Eva/Ranma][FanFic] For the Sake of the Children - Chapters 3-4

Anand Rao

Mar 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/24/98

For the Sake of the Children - Chapter Three

Neon Genesis Evangelion is owned by Gainax

Ranma 1/2 is owned by Rumiko Takahashi

Chapter Three: A Physical Trainer?

"So? What do you make of this?" Ikari asked quietly.

"I- I don't know," Ritsuko replied weakly. Like Misato, she had not
spent much time in the sick bay. Upon getting her head bandaged, she
had flown directly to Tokyo-3 and watched the video footage of Ranko's
rescue.

"The. . . acrobatics, I can understand. Apparently this Ranma Saotome
is a martial artist of some sort. However, he did something that
managed to break through an AT Field. We've enlarged the video image
1000 percent. He was not carrying a weapon. That. . . glow was coming
from his hands," Ikari said.

"Do we have any idea what it was?" Ritsuko asked.

"We're still analyzing the tape, yet so far, we know nothing."

"What are you going to do?" Ritsuko asked.

"I'm going to ask him to join Nerv," Ikari shrugged.

"You- you're going to ask him to fight the Angels?" Ritsuko asked with
disbelief.

"That might be a bit premature," Ikari replied dryly, "No, I have
something else in mind. I want him to be the pilots' physical trainer.
Our latest tests show that proper physical conditioning improves the
pilot's ability to synchronize with an Eva."

"What latest tests. . . Oh," Ritsuko replied, as his true intent dawned
upon her.

"Exactly," Ikari said with a cold smile, "The idea of letting someone
who can easily break through an AT Field run around loose is
unacceptable; and just like any new employee in our organization, Mr.
Saotome will have to go through a complete physical; blood test, cat
scan, DNA. . . well, I'm sure you understand."

"Yes, I understand. All we have to do now is find him," Ritsuko sighed.

"He's back home. He returned to Tokyo-3 sometime before you," Ikari
replied.

"What? How did-" Ritsuko asked as Ikari held up his hand.

"I don't know, but one of our operatives -has- reported that father and
daughter are indeed back in Tokyo-3," Ikari interrupted.

"All right. I'll send Misato after him. They seemed to get along
well," Ritsuko commented.

"Do it," Ikari commanded

**********************************

Misato nervously rapped her knuckles on the front door of the Saotome
home. She didn't for a single minute believe Ritsuko's story about the
children needing a physical trainer. She had seen what Ranma had done.
(How is the world- No. Not yet. I need to get him to -talk- to me
first,) Misato thought, waiting for the door to open. After a few
seconds, she knocked again. (Maybe he's not home.) Misato walked
around the house and found a gate leading to the backyard and the dojo.
On a hunch, she opened the gate and walked to the smaller building,
glancing at the Koi pond as she passed by.

The dojo door opened just as she reached it. Ranma stood in the
doorway, a towel around his neck. His initial reaction was one of
surprise, but a scowl quickly grew on his face. Misato stared at his
muscled form appreciatively. The cotton gi he wore hugged his form
nicely. (It's amazing what a little exercise can do,) Misato thought
with a sigh. "I keep catching you at the end of your workouts. Lucky,
huh?" Misato asked, laughing weakly.

"What do you want?" Ranma asked coldly, instantly sobering her up.

"I understand you're upset. I would be too, but please, I just wanted
to talk," Misato pleaded.

"Look, we had a deal! You run your little 'test' and I make my
decision, right? Well, I've made it! Ranko is -not- going to join
Nerv. She will not be one of your pilots. I may not be a scientist or
nothing, but you'll -never- convince me that there's a technological
reason to have a child pilot those monsters!" Ranma yelled angrily.

"Look, this isn't about Ranko, this- what happened to your hands?"
Misato asked, noticing the scars and bandages for the first time.

"They got burnt; no big deal. Now, what do you mean, 'this isn't about
Ranko'?" Ranma asked.

"There's something I need to discuss with you. It's really important;
perhaps we can talk inside the house?" Misato asked.

"I'm busy," Ranma replied bluntly.

"How about we go to lunch or something; my treat. You need to eat,
right? We'll talk about it then, okay?" Misato asked.

Ranma nearly grinned, then shook his head ruefully. (A free lunch?
Does she know me -that- well already?) he thought. "Okay, we'll talk.
But Ranko is not going to be a pilot; that's final," Ranma warned.

"That's fine, Ranma. Actually, we don't really need her anymore. Unit
03 was destroyed yesterday. No Eva, no pilot," Misato replied.

"Fine. Let me jump in the shower and we'll get going, I know just the
place," Ranma replied.

"WHAT? That's impossible!" Asuka yelled angrily.

"Quietly, Asuka," Shinji pleaded, glancing at all his classmates who had
begun to stare. Class had just broke for lunch and the three Eva pilots
were seated in a corner of the classroom, talking to Ranko. All of
them, Asuka in particular, were curious how she had escaped from Unit
03. During the course of the previous day's battle, Shinji had noticed
the half-ejected entry plug and its open hatch. After the battle, he
and Asuka had told each other what they knew, and had decided to talk to
Ranko at the first opportunity.

"Don't tell me to be quiet, you idiot! What she said is impossible!
How can a man lift an entry plug? You know how big those things are!"
Asuka retorted.

"Otosan is not exactly an average guy. He's been studying martial arts
his whole life," Ranko pointed out.

"So he can do a couple of fancy kicks and flips! Big deal! It doesn't
mean he can lift an entry plug!" Asuka argued.

"How do ya suppose I escaped then?" Ranko asked with a sigh.

"You just. . . I mean-" Asuka floundered.

"How did your father get past the AT Field?" Rei asked, her face
slightly troubled. Ranko buried her head in her hands and sighed again.

"If ya didn't believe me about the entry plug, then there's no way yer
gonna believe what Otosan did about the AT Field," Ranko mumbled.

"I've never had okanomyaki," Misato said, following after Ranma.

"Really? Then you're in for a treat. This place is great, and I kinda
know the owner," Ranma replied, opening the door to Utchan's.

"Ranchan! I'm happy to see- Who's she?" Ukyou asked flatly from her
place by the grill.

"Uh, Ukyo Kuonji, meet Misato Katsuragi," Ranma replied, introducing the
two women.

"Nice to meet you," Misato said warmly.

"Likewise," Ukyo smiled. However her greeting was anything but warm.
"Ranchan, could I talk to you privately for a moment?"

"Sure thing, Ucchan," Ranma replied then turned to Misato. "Go ahead
and sit down, I'll be with ya in a sec."

"Okay," Misato replied as Ranma walked up to the counter.

"What's up, Ucchan?" Ranma asked.

"Ranchan, did you actually have the -nerve- to bring a -date- here?"
Ukyo asked, grabbing a fist full of Ranma's shirt.

"What date? This ain't a date!" Ranma protested.

"Oh? Then what is it?" Ukyo asked, her voice still cold.

"It's, uh, business, I think," Ranma replied.

"Business? What -kind- of business? Does she want some private martial
arts lessons? Or maybe she needs someone to redesign her bedroom?" Ukyo
suggested nastily.

"It's nothin' like that! She's from Nerv. Can we talk about this
later? I got a lot on my mind right now," Ranma pleaded.

"Nerv? What do they want with you? We -will- talk about this later.
You're -sure- this isn't a date?" Ukyo asked skeptically.

"It's definitely not a date," Ranma replied.

"Good. Now, go back to your. . . friend, I'll bring you both a
special," Ukyo replied, letting go of Ranma's shirt.

"Right, and Ucchan? Thanks," Ranma replied with a smile.

"Don't thank me, Ranchan. I'll figure out a way for you make things up
to me," Ukyo replied. Ranma nodded resignedly in reply and walked over
to the table Misato had chosen.

"Everything okay?" Misato asked as Ranma sat down.

"Yeah, everything's fine. I ordered for the both of us, since ya never
had an Okanomyaki before. Hope ya don't mind," Ranma replied.

"No, that's fine. By the way, how did you get back home from
Matsushiro? We had people looking everywhere for you," Misato said.

"We jogged to the train station and hopped on a train heading for
Tokyo-3," Ranma replied simply.

"You jogged? But- but the train station was at least thirty miles
away!" Misato exclaimed.

"It wasn't so bad," Ranma shrugged, "although, Ranko doesn't think that
the plug suit is 'cute' any more. It kinda drew a lot of stares on when
we were on the train."

"Really?" Misato asked with a laugh.

"Yeah, and that sticky stuff in the plug was starting to make her
uncomfortable too," Ranma said, a light grin on his face. Misato's
laughter died down and she looked seriously at Ranma.

"How is Ranko? She wasn't hurt, was she?" Misato asked.

"She was scared, Misato. I've never seen her so scared. -I've- never
been that scared!" Ranma replied, his hands clenched tightly together on
the tabletop. Misato hesitantly reached out and squeezed Ranma's hand
with her own.

"I know. I'm sorry, Ranma," she said.

"Look, I've had a crazy life, Misato. I'm not gonna go into details,
but I'm used to danger. I didn't -want- that for Ranko. I want a
normal, care-free, happy life for her. I owe her that. I owe her
-mother- that," Ranma replied.

Misato squeezed Ranma's hand again. (I wish my father was like you,)
she thought silently.

"Here's your meal," Ukyo said coldly, pointedly looking at Ranma and
Misato's connected hands.

"Uh, thanks Ucchan!" Ranma replied, quickly disengaging his hand from
Misato's.

"You're welcome," Ukyo replied, stalking back to the kitchen. Misato
glanced at Ranma's plate and smiled at what she saw. On top of the
okanomiyaki was a heart, painted in sauce, along with the words, 'To My
Darling Ranchan'.

"I think I know why you like to eat here," Misato commented.

"Hey! Ucchan's just a friend. We've known each other a long time.
There's nothin' more to it," Ranma protested.

"Of course," Misato replied lightly.

"Wasn't there something you wanted to talk about?" Ranma asked, trying
to dodge the issue.

"All right, down to business then," Misato replied, still smiling. "We
want you to join Nerv."

"What?" Ranma asked flatly, shaking his head and blinking.

"We want you to join Nerv," Misato repeated.

"That's what I thought you said," Ranma replied, rubbing his face.
"Unless you need me to build a house, or maybe teach your robots martial
arts, I don't see what I can do for ya."

"Not the Evas," Misato replied, rolling her eyes, "we want you to teach
the Children martial arts. Be their physical trainer, so to speak."

"A physical trainer?" Ranma asked skeptically.

"Yes. At least, that was the reason I was told to give you," Misato
replied.

"Oh? What's the real reason?" Ranma asked, raising an eyebrow.

"They didn't tell me, but I'm pretty sure I know," Misato replied.

"Go on," Ranma said.

"Ranma, how did you break through the AT Field?" Misato asked quietly.

"What?" Ranma asked, confused at the apparent change of subject.

"The AT Field, Ranma. You broke through it with some kind of. . .
glowing light or something. It looked like a laser," Misato replied.
For a few seconds, Ranma seemed confused, but then his eyes lit up in
understanding.

"You mean that invisible shield? It's called an AT Field?" Ranma asked.

"Right," Misato replied.

"It wasn't really a big deal. I just used a ki attack," Ranma said.

"A what?" Misato asked; it was her turn to be confused.

"It's a martial arts technique. A really powerful martial artist can
channel energy into a weapon. None of my physical attacks were gettin'
past that damn shield, so I figured I'd use my ki," Ranma replied.

"A martial arts move? That's it?" Misato asked incredulously.

"More or less. You just concentrate a part of your spirit and channel
the power," Ranma shrugged.

"You've lost me," Misato replied.

"Well, it's not all that easy, but that that's the best way I can
describe it. It takes years and years of training before a martial
artist can get strong enough to channel their ki."

"So this. . . 'ki' is your spirit? Or soul?" Misato asked.

"It can be, but that's not always the case. You can use nature, too.
The first ki attack I ever learned had to do with changes in air
pressure," Ranma replied.

"Okay. . ." Misato replied, still looking confused.

"You don't believe me, do you?" Ranma asked with a grin.

"Let's just say that all this is a little beyond me," Misato sighed.
(Is he nuts? Does he want me to believe in magic, or what?) Misato
thought moodily.

"How would you explain this?" Ranma asked, as if reading her mind. He
held up his right hand, palm up. Slowly, a bright yellow glowing ball
of ki grew there.

"Don't you fire that off in here, Ranchan!" Ukyo yelled from the
counter.

"It's just a demonstration, Ucchan," Ranma explained.

Misato leaned forward and stared at Ranma's hand, her eyes wide with
disbelief. Hesitantly, she reached out to touch the glowly light. "I
wouldn't do that if I were you," Ranma warned. Startled, Misato looked
up at Ranma's face, fascination and a touch of fear lining her eyes.
With an amused chuckle Ranma relaxed and the ki ball disappeared.

"I think. . . I believe you," Misato said lamely. She glared as Ranma's
chuckle grew into a full blown laugh. "It's not funny!" She protested,
failing to keep a smile from growing on her face. "Can you teach other
people how to do that?" Misato asked as Ranma's laughter died down.

"Sure, but keep in mind, I've been training since I could walk. It's
the same with Ranko. Like I said, it takes a long time and a lot of
training to reach the level where a person can manipulate their ki. I
can't stress that enough. Akane is a good example. My wife was a good
martial artist. She held a black belt and trained a great deal,
especially after we got married; but she was never able to use her ki,"
Ranma warned.

"Can Ranko use her. . . ki?" Misato asked. The entire concept still
seemed foreign, yet fascinating to her.

"No, she isn't ready yet, and if you guys want me ta teach your pilots
how ta use ki, it ain't gonna happen," Ranma replied firmly.

"I think they're more interested in -how- you managed to do it. Ranma,
you have to understand, up until now, only an Eva or an Angel could
break through the AT Field. Even an N2 bomb can't do it," Misato said.

"Okay, what did you want me to do," Ranma sighed.

"Just join us. If we can figure out how you broke through the AT Field,
we might have a better chance of saving this planet," Misato replied.

"Right, right. 'Physical trainer' indeed," Ranma snorted. He looked
thoughtfully at Misato and then his expression turned sad. "Ya know, I
never felt as helpless as I did yesterday," he said bitterly.

"Why? You saved Ranko. That's what counts," Misato replied.

"That's not what I meant Misato. Ya see, I was taught to always help
people in need. It's a martial artist's duty to protect others. And
yet, I let three children face a monster yesterday! I was so concerned
about keeping Ranko safe that I just left!" Ranma said, berating
himself.

"Ranma, no one is blaming you for anything! You did the right thing.
You saved your daughter. Besides, what could you have done against an
Angel?" Misato asked, realizing immediately what a stupid question that
was.

"Anyway, you're right. If I can help ya out, I will," Ranma said.

"So you'll join us?" Misato asked hopefully.

"Yeah, Misato, I will."

"Welcome to NERV!" Misato exclaimed, reaching out to hold Ranma's hand
again.

"Is there anything else I can get you?" Ukyo asked, suddenly appearing
at their table.

"Gah! Uh, no! No thanks, Ucchan, we're fine," Ranma replied weakly.
Misato just smirked knowingly as she slowly let go of Ranma's hand.

************************
End Chapter 3
************************

This is was a bit of a setup, but I needed some of these conversations
to take place. A word to the wise, this fic is going to contain more
character development and dialog than action. Hope you enjoy it anyway.

Thanks to my unofficial editor, Dfire... This chapter is a lot better
than it started out because of him.

Special thanks to John Peasley, who gave me some ideas with this fic.
He's the author of Unlimited Moment, by the way. A fic I HIGHLY
recommend!

If you want to see past and future chapters of this story, go to
http://www.deranged-otaku.com/

For the Sake of the Children - Chapter Four

Neon Genesis Evangelion is owned by Gainax

Ranma 1/2 is owned by Rumiko Takahashi

Chapter Four: Old Friends and New Students

Commander Ikari sat quietly in a darkened room, his hands steepled in
front of him, as the men seated around him quietly ranted and raved. He
wondered how much of his time they would waste -this- time. (Old men
who panic at every little surprise,) he thought with a sigh. The
Committee had been upset at the loss of Unit 03 and the damage done at
Matsushiro. Although Gendou was no longer concerned with the
Committee's problems, he was slightly relieved that they did not know
anything about Ranma Saotome. More and more over the past few days,
Gendou had been thinking about the martial artist. (Is someone else
conducting genetic experiments? Is he. . . like Rei?)

******************************

"Are these tests -really- necessary?" Ramna asked, holding a cotton ball
against his arm.

"It's just a standard physical exam for all employee's," Ritsuko
explained, placing a vial of Ranma's blood sample on to a test tube
tray.

"Just as long as I don't have to turn my head and cough," Ranma replied
wryly.

"That comes later," Ritsuko said, with a perfectly straight face.

"Great," Ranma sighed. "So, you're a medical doctor too, eh?"

"Something like that."

"So, what next?" Ranma asked.

"Fill this," Ritsuko replied, handing Ranma a small plastic beaker.
"Then we start some strength and endurance testing."

******************************

"Physical Trainer? What do we need one of those for?" Asuka asked.

"It will help your synch rates. Besides, exercise is good for you! You
can sweat off the stress to your body and soul!" Misato exclaimed
cheerfully.

"Great. That's all we need! Some old guy making us job around in
circles or something," Asuka grumbled.

"What makes you think he's old?" Shinji wondered.

"Don't be stupid!" Asuka snapped. "He's Ranko's father, right? That
means he's old enough to be -our- parent," Asuka replied.

Misato almost laughed at Asuka's comment. (God, is -she- in for a
surprise!)

"Well, if he really did save Ranko that time, he must be in pretty good
shape, right?" Shinji reasoned.

"Don't tell me you -believed- that story of her's," Asuka said
scornfully.

"Actually, he really did save her," Misato interjected.

"I still think this is a stupid idea. What about you, 'Wonder Girl'?
What do you think of this idea?" Asuka asked.

"If it will improve our synch rates, we should do it," Rei replied
quietly.

"Why'd I even bother to ask?" Asuka wondered, groaning out loud.

******************************

Shaking his head, Ranma closed the door to Ritsuko's lab. (I'm
surprised she didn't dissect me or something,) he thought. Ranma has
spent his fair share of time in hospitals during his life, and he had to
admit that the tests were the worst part. (They always run tests and
never tell ya nothin'.)

Ranma walked down a hallway, searching for an exit sign. After turning
and backtracking for several minutes, he became lost. "Great. How the
hell do I get outta this place?" He asked aloud.

"I think I can help you with that, Sensei," A voice called from behind.

"Sensei?" Ranma asked, turned towards the voice.

"Do you remember me, Ranma-sensei?" Kaji asked, a large grin plastered
on hi face. Ranma's eyes narrowed as he looked at the person who had
addressed him.

"Kaji-kun?" Ranma asked, a bit unsure of himself.

"I'm impressed. You -do- remember me," Kaji replied, walking closer to
Ranma.

"Of course I remember you! How could I forget my very first student?
What ya doing here, Kaji?" Ranma asked.

"I work here, same as you. I'd heard that you had been brought aboard
our little team. Are you touring Headquarters or something?"

"You work for Nerv? Well, never woulda expected that. Naw, I ain't
tourin' or nothin'. I'm kinda lost. I came in for a physical and can't
find my outta this place," Ranma explained.

"A physical, eh? That means you spent the morning with Rit-chan."

"Rit-chan?"

"Yeah. Dr. Akagi and I go way back. Went to school together, along
with Major Katsuragi as well," Kaji replied.

"Really? Well, Dr. Akagi is a nice enough lady, I suppose. I just hate
tests! Always have," Ranma said.

"Oh? Did she make you visit a gynecologist?" Kaji asked with a smirk.

"Why would I need ta visit a- oh. Heh. Well, I don't have -that-
problem anymore," Ranma replied, smirking as well.

"You found a cure?" Kaji asked, obviously surprised.

"It's kinda a long story," Ranma said.

"I see. You said you were lost? Come on, I'll lead you back outside,"
Kaji said.

"Great. I'm supposed ta meet Misato and my new 'students' today back at
the dojo. Why don't you join us? I'd like ya ta meet my daughter,"
Ranma suggested.

"Sure. I'd like that," Kaji replied as he led Ranma through a corridor.

"Great. You can even train with us. You have been practicing, haven't
you?" Ranma asked, his tone challenging.

"A bit, here and there when I have the time," Kaji shrugged, as he
continued walking. Automatically, he moved his head as Ranma's fist
flew towards him. He then jumped back and blocked a kick with his
forearm. Ranma relaxed and suddenly grinned at Kaji.

"Not bad, not bad at all. Of course, if I had been going a little
faster-" Ranma started to say.

"Please, sensei. You don't have to tell -me- how good you are," Kaji
replied, grinning as well.

"I'm glad that you've kept it up," Ranma said sincerely.

"The art has helped me to remember happier times," Kaji replied as he
started walking again.

"Kaji, your sister, did she. . ." Ranma trailed off.

"The Second Impact killed her, Ranma. It's just as well, I suppose.
She never was very strong. I don't know if she could have survived in a
world like this."

"Ami-chan had a weak body," Ranma agreed. "But she had a sharp mind.
Hell, I bet she coulda given Nabiki a run for her money!"

"Nabiki Tendo. I think I lost most my weekly allowances to her," Kaji
sighed.

"Me too," Ranma said ruefully.

"Well, here we are," Kaji replied as they arrived at the parking garage
elevator. "You know, Ranma, the people here are going to have a hard
time understanding what you can do."

"If Misato's reaction was any kinda clue, I think you're right," Ranma
agreed.

"What are you going to do?" Kaji asked.

"Tell the truth," Ranma replied simply. "After all, you came around,
and I think Misato will too."

"Yeah, but I grew up in that environment. Heh. I was even an active
participant!" Kaji reminded Ranma.

"That's right! I had forgotten about your fight with Toma," Ranma
replied.

"I've been -trying- to forget it," Kaji confessed, pushing the down
arrow button on the elevator panel.

Ranko finished tying the belt of her gi just as there was a knock on the
front door. (Great! They're here!) she thought excitedly. Ranko was
glad that her father had joined NERV. She was looking forward to
training with some people her own age. She ran to the front door and
quickly opened it.

"Hello Ranko, how are you?" Misato asked the smiling redheaded girl.

"I'm fine! Please come in, all of you," Ranko replied, stepping away
from the entrance.

"Hi Ranko," Asuka greeted in bored voice.

"Hi guys. Welcome to my home," Ranko said to her classmates who had
followed after Misato.

"Hello," Rei said quietly while Shinji merely nodded shyly.

"That's a cute outfit, Ranko," Misato said looking at Ranko's yellow gi.

"Do you like it? Otosan bought it for me yesterday. The old one was
getting a little, um, tight," Ranko said, her cheeks turning red.

"Do -we- have to wear something like that?" Asuka suddenly asked.

"Uh, no. What you're wearin' is just fine, but a gi is very comfortable
when ya work out," Ranko replied with a frown.

"Where's your father?" Misato asked.

"He should be home soon. He was at your Headquarters today, gettin'
tested or something," Ranko said.

"Oh. I see," Misato replied thoughtfully.

"Come on, let's go to the dojo. We can at least get warmed up before
Otosan gets back," Ranko suggested. As she turned towards the living
room, the front door unlocked and opened.

"I'm home!" Ranma called out.

"Great timing, Otosan. We were just heading to the dojo," Ranko said,
turning back towards her father. Kaji, who had followed behind Ranko,
smiled when he saw Misato.

"So, everyone's here. Are you planning on training too?" He asked
Misato with a grin.

"What are -you- doing here?" Misato asked flatly.

"I ran into Ranma at HQ and he invited me over. We're just catching up
on old times," he replied.

"Great," Misato sighed.

"Am I missin' something here?" Ranma asked, glancing between Misato and
Kaji.

"Oh it's nothing really. Misato just doesn't approve of the way I live
my life," Kaji said, suddenly putting his arm across Ranma's shoulders.
"But if you think -I'm- bad, you should have seen -this- guy when he was
a teenager, Katsuragi. Now -he- was a wolf!"

"Oh really?" Misato asked, glancing at Ranma, her eyebrows raised.

"I don't think I've met everyone yet," Ranma replied, clearing his
throat uncomfortably. Misato smiled and kindly didn't press Ranma for
details.

"Let me introduce you to our pilots, your new students," Misato said.
She backed up a step and stood next to the children. "This is Shinji,
Rei, and Asuka."

"It's nice to meet you, Ranma-san," Shinji said shyly. Rei, as silent
as ever, nodded in his direction. Asuka, however, simply stared at
Ranma. Shinji surreptitiously nudged her a couple of times, but she did
not respond.

"You're Ranko's father?" She finally managed to blurt out.

"Yeah. It's nice ta meet the three of you," Ranma said, smiling. "I
hope you're ready for some exercise!"

"Absolutely! I already exercise every day, after all, a girl like me
-has- to watch her figure. Don't worry about these other two, I'll make
sure they don't slack off," Asuka replied, suddenly confident, glancing
at Rei and Shinji.

"So fickle," Kaji said with an exaggerated sigh.

"Huh?" Ranma asked, a bit taken back by Asuka's enthusiasm.

"Oh nothing. You're just in for an interesting time, that's all," Kaji
replied. "Wasn't there someone -you- wanted to introduce me to?"

"Oh, right. Ranko, this is Kaji. He's the first student I ever taught,
and an old friend," Ranma said.

"Hello Ranko-chan. It's nice to meet you. It's obvious that you take
after your mother's good looks," Kaji said, stepping up to Ranko.

"Really? I always thought that looked like my aunt Ranko," Ranko
replied, smiling at the complement. Kaji blinked and was about to
respond as Ranma suddenly stepped forward.

"Shall we get started?" He interjected quickly.

"Sure. Well, just give me a call when you want me to pick up the
children," Misato replied.

"You're not staying, Katsuragi? I mean, a little exercise might not be
such a bad idea," Kaji said, smiling slyly.

"What -exactly- are you getting at, Kaji?" Misato asked, half growling.

"Ah, I, uh -really- think this is a good time to start. Misato, you're
more than welcome to stay," Ranma replied, trying to appease her.

"Heh. That's Ranma-sensei for you, always protecting his students.
Come on, I want to see the dojo," Kaji said, clapping Ranma on the back.
Ranma grinned and smiled gratefully at Kaji.

"Ranko can show you the dojo. I need ta get changed and then I'll join
ya," Ranma replied, nodding at his daughter.

"Great, just follow me," Ranko said. As the group followed Ranko
outside, Asuka stared speculatively at Ranma's retreating back.

"So, Ranko, does your mom practice martial arts too?" Asuka asked
lightly. She ignored the sharp look Kaji gave her and Misato's sudden
intake of breath.

"My mother died when I was just a baby, Asuka. I don't even remember
her," Ranko replied.

"I- I'm sorry," Asuka replied lamely.

"Oh, no need to apologize! Like I said, I never even knew her. It
-would- be nice to have a mom, but my grandmother, Aunt Ukyou, and Aunt
Shampoo were around while I was growing up. And, of course, there's
Otosan. I can't really talk to him about a lot of things, but I always
feel safe and protected when he's with me," Ranko replied, smiling
softly at Asuka.

"Ukyou and Shampoo are still around?" Kaji asked.

"Yeah, you knew them too?" Ranko asked as they reached the dojo.

"Not personally, but anyone who was around Ranma knew of those two. I
don't think I've ever seen two girls so driven to catch a man," Kaji
replied.

"Aunt Shampoo and Aunt Ukyou were after Otosan?" Ranko asked, pausing in
midst of opening the door.

"Ranma had quite a few girls after him; before -and- after he got
married," Kaji replied.

"Really? But... I mean, he's just. . .Otosan!" Ranko proclaimed,
somewhat confused.

"Your father isn't a bad looking man, Ranko," Misato explained, then
blushed at Kaji's startled look and Asuka's glare.

"So, are these two. . . women still around?" Asuka asked flatly.

"Aunt Shampoo lives in China. She visits at least once a year. Aunt
Ukyou owns an Okanomiyaki restaurant in town," Ranko replied.

"And if the other day was any indication, she's still after him," Misato
commented.

"Great, competition," Asuka muttered angrily as Ranko opened the dojo
door.

The group walked in and casually looking around. The walls were
complete unadorned except for a small mantle and shrine on the south
wall. "Did Ranma design this place?" Kaji asked.

"Otosan designed and built this dojo," Ranko replied proudly.

"I thought so, it's an exact duplicate of the Tendo Dojo," Kaji said.

"Otosan doesn't talk about it much. What was it like there?" Ranko
asked curiously.

"It was warm, loving, fun, and the first place I seriously called
'home'," Ranma replied from the dojo doorway. His eyes took on a
distant look as he stared at the Shrine. Finally he sighed and shook
his head. "Well, shall we get started?" He asked, looking around the
room.

"Well, that wasn't so bad, was it?" Misato asked as she collapsed on the
sofa. They had worked out for close to an hour before Ranma had allowed
them to stop. They had all showered at the Saotome home, dropped off
Rei, then returned to the apartment. It was the first time in years
that Misato had done anything cardiovascular, and she was painfully
aware how out of shape she was; literally. Asuka sat down next to
Misato as Shinji walked to the refrigerator.

"All we did was a little stretching. It's going to get more challenging
as we go on. Are you sure you're up to this?" Asuka asked, almost
scornfully.

"I'll be fine, Asuka. I don't think Ranma will push me farther than I
could go. Besides, I do seem to need the exercise," Misato replied.

"Ranma-san -is- a good teacher, isn't he?" Asuka replied happily.

"For an 'old man', right?" Misato joked.

"What are you talking about? He must have been married very young.
Poor man, he still misses his wife. He needs someone help him forget,"
Asuka sighed dramatically.

"What about Kaji?" Misato asked, deliberately egging her on. She rarely
got the opportunity to tease Asuka, and was enjoying every minute of it.

"Kaji has obviously started a sordid relationship with you, and I really
wouldn't want to interfere," Asuka replied loftily. Shinji returned
from the kitchen and wordless handed Misato a beer and Asuka a glass of
orange juice before joining them on the sofa.

"Thanks, Shinji-kun. This will really hit the spot after all that
exercise!" Misato exclaimed, popping open the can.

Shinji nodded in reply and stared at the glass of orange juice in his
hand. "Ranko... She lost her mother too. But, she seems happy," He
said quietly.

"She doesn't really remember her mother, Shinji-kun. Besides, Ranma
isn't as busy as your father. He has the luxury of spending more time
with her," Misato said gently, defending Gendou in order to ease
Shinji's mind.

"I don't really remember my mother either, but. . . I can't help but
think that maybe things would have been better if she was still alive,"
Shinji replied.

Misato took a huge swig of beer then put one arm around Shinji and the
other around Asuka. "Cheer up! After all, we're a family, right?"
Misato asked. Shinji thought about it for a few minutes then nodded.
It would have to do for the time being. He glanced at Asuka and stifled
a laugh as he watched her snore. "I guess she was a bit more exhausted
than she let on," Misato whispered.

(Yes, it would have to do,) Shinji thought, smiling back at Misato.

"So? What did you find?" Gendou asked scanning through the report
Ritsuko had given him.

"Nothing. Nothing, that is, that would lead me to understand what he
did," Ritsuko replied with a frustrated sigh.

"He's not. . . unusual?" Gendou asked.

"Well, he's in better health and physical shape than anyone I've ever
met. I'd kill for his cholesterol level or blood pressure. He's also a
lot stronger than he looks. His muscle size and mass does not account
for this strength, and his adrenaline levels were normal. It's really a
mystery at this point."

"I see," Gendou replied.

"I think, it might a demonstration of his abilities might be in order,"
Ritsuko suggested.

"I'm sure an opportunity will present itself," Gendou replied with a
cold smile.

End Chapter 4

ana...@earthlink.net
http://www.deranged-otaku.com/