[Ranma][FanFic] Anijza 2 / Part 2: The Problem

Nicholas Stone

Nov 2, 2003, 1:45:51 AM11/2/03
Ranma 1/2

Anijza

Part Two:

`In Hell As In Forever'

Nicholas Stone

The Problem

The mood around the Tendo dojo had never been as dark
or sorrowful as now, and after a week since the
disappearance of Ranma, continued to sink lower as their
hopes began to fade. Most of Ranma's friends tried to carry
on with their daily routines but it was apparent to anyone
observing that something deeply personal had scared them.
Short tempers, solemn looks, and strain marred their
faces, worry gnawing at their very souls. Even among the
Tendo household there was tension not normally seen.
Kasumi, Soun, and Nabiki did their best to keep up
appearances, but Genma could not be consoled without
breaking down in tears at the loss.
But even the wails of the elder Saotome did not match
up to the hurt and pain tearing through Akane Tendo. She
spent her days in her room with the lights out, mulling
about her relationship with Ranma. Akane's heart lay with
him, but this, a sudden fear that maybe just maybe he might
not return at all, brought about terror she had never
imagined before.
So for the past few days Akane retreated into her only
sanctuary, praying that Cologne would figure out a way for
them to recover Ranma from Anijza's evil clutches. Her face
stung after crying for most of the morning, a cold knot in
her stomach suppressing her hunger.
"Ranma," she whispered silently, staring out the
bedroom window. "Oh Ranma are you all right? I've prayed
that Anijza's not harmed you. Please, please if you can
hear me, don't give up! I'm coming, I swear I'm."
She broke down again, placed a hand to her face, and
hung her head. "I'm so sorry, Ranma!" she sobbed.
A low knock on the door brought her around.
"Akane?" called Ryoga's voice.
Akane quickly dried her eyes and sat down on the bed
not wanting him to see her like this. She told him to come
in and the door slowly opened. Ryoga's head peered around
the edge searching for her.
"Is this a bad time," he asked.
"No, Ryoga" answered Akane, "I was thinking. Just
thinking."
He stepped in, followed by Nabiki much to her surprise.
Nabiki pulled up the desk chair and sat down.
"So, little sister. We are very worried about you,"
she said.
Ryoga sat down beside Akane. "Yeah, uhm, we thought
you might want some company to cheer you up."
Akane tried to smile, but only managed a faint grin.
"The only thing that could cheer me up right now is Cologne
finding a way for me to get to Ranma and bring him back,"
she said.
Silence briefly passed, Ryoga and Nabiki both hesitant
to comment on Akane's wish. Although having Cologne and
that demented creature, Happosai working to find a way to
save Ranma, their current efforts were turning up nary a
lead that would help.
Nabiki knew it would kill Akane physically as well as
mentally if the two sages failed. She was determined not to
let this happen, figuring that the right person could
replace even Ranma temporarily. It might be wrong, she
thought, but my little sister is anguishing in pain. Being
Ranma's closest friend, Ryoga stood the best chance of
breaking her doldrums. They both had the same build, and
Ryoga still carried a small flame for her.
"Little sister," she said. Akane looked up, her
dejected expressing drawing on Nabiki's emotions. "Look,
sitting here in this darkness will not bring Ranma back
anytime soon. You've got to go back into the world and keep
your strength up."
Akane was shocked. "Nabiki! How can you. how can you
even suggest that I ignore completely what happened?"
"I'm not saying ignore, Akane. I just-."
"Think that I'm loosing my mind, is that it? You, you
think I'm about to crack?"
"You haven't been the same since Ranma was taken,
Akane," said Ryoga.
"She killed Ranma right before our eyes, Ryoga!"
shouted Akane, leaping to her feet.
Nabiki drew back fearing the wrath coursing from her.
"Akane, please calm down," she said.
"Calm down?" Akane pressed her hands to her face and
rushed over to the bureau. Ryoga started to follow, but
Nabiki held up a hand stopping him. They waited in silence
as Akane sobbed then finally, she settled down.
"I saw my (sniff, sniff) fianc' murdered and there was
nothing I could do to stop it." Akane turned around, wiping
the tears away from her cheeks. "He is your best friend,
Ryoga. Doesn't that mean anything to you?"
Ryoga arched a brow, cutting Nabiki a confused look.
The slight narrowing of Nabiki's eyes told him he had better
play along. "Uh, yeah Akane, it does," he replied. "But I
also know your well-being is just as important."
Ryoga's concern brought Akane to a halt. Having
friends like him made her feel better, but still the image
of Ranma pleading for help continued to play in her mind,
refusing to go away.
"I want him back," she said, head drooping forward.
"He'll be back," answered Nabiki. "Cologne will figure
something out. Now why don't you let Ryoga here take you
out to dinner or something, hm?"
"I'm not hungry."
"Please, Akane," said Ryoga.
She looked up then with a timid nod agreed. Ryoga,
cheered by her change of mind, clasped his hands together.
"Let's say. a large portion of Sukiyaki to begin
things?" he said.
Akane shrugged. "I'm really not hungry, Ryoga. Maybe
we'll go for a short walk or something like that."
"Okay. If that will ease your mind then we'll just go
for a walk."
Nabiki smirked, eyeing her sister. "Uh, why don't you
go and get cleaned up, Akane?" she said. "Ryoga will meet
you downstairs."
As Akane headed dolefully out her room, Nabiki waited
until she was safely out of earshot then took hold of Ryoga
by the arm.
"Idiot!"
Ryoga flinched. "What, what? I didn't do anything!"
"I said dinner, maybe a movie, but not a walk."
"So she's not hungry. The fresh air will do her good."
Growling, Nabiki rolled her eyes up to the ceiling.
"She's going to head straight down to the Nekohatten!"
"So? Then she can eat-."
"That's where Cologne is trying to find a way to rescue
Ranma! Get it now?"
Ryoga paused then grimaced realizing he had been duped.
"She's really got it bad for Ranma, doesn't she?"
"That's given. Now you keep her away from there,
understand?" Nabiki thrust a large roll of money into his
hands.
"Wow!" exclaimed Ryoga.
"That should be more than enough to keep both of you
occupied."
"Where should I take her?"
"I don't care! Take her to Hong Kong or something. no,
scratch that. We'd have to send out a search party for you
too. Just keep her occupied."
Ryoga rubbed the back of his head and stared down at
the money. "Okay," he finally said. "I'll do my best."
He left to clean up and Nabiki sat back down on the bed
again. She wondered how long her distraction could last and
prayed that Cologne would come up with an answer in the next
few days.
Otherwise, this could become quite expensive.

* * * * *

Nekohatten, Nerima;

Normally, the Nekohatten restaurant would be busy with
customers enjoying the establishment's fine cuisine. Today
though, it was closed and in the dining area, four people
sat reading through piles of old books, scrolls and
parchments. Every table was filled while seated on the
floor Cologne read the scripts of ancient writing, searching
for some clue that would solve the problem at hand.
Grinding her teeth against the stem of a long pipe in
her mouth, the old sage tossed the scroll in her hands onto
the growing pile beside her. She snatched another one up
and began reading over its contents.
"Great Grand-ma," Shampoo suddenly said from her spot
on the floor, "I not sure what we are looking for in
scrolls?"
Cologne let out a short puff of smoke. "Something that
will help us find a way to retrieve your husband, child."
Mousse, sitting across from Shampoo, yawned and
stretched his arms out. "Well I for one don't think we are
ever going to find anything," he told them.
A sharp smack on the head stunned him; Cologne glaring
angrily down at him.
"We will not if you keep thinking like that, foolish
boy!" she shouted.
"Hey, I'm trying, I'm trying! Some of these scrolls
are written in languages I'm not familiar with!"
"No reason to stop," she replied. "Now get back to
reading!"
"It is all futile, Cologne," grumbled a hackled voice
behind her.
Clouds of blue smoke hovered over where Happosai sat.
His features were concealed behind an open scroll; low
mutterings coming from the possessed mage. He stopped and
turned it down locking a hard stare on her.
"You will never get Ranma Saotome back," his demon half
voice said.
Cologne hopped over examining the lengths of rosary
beads still wrapped tight around his body. No signs of
slack, she grabbed a fist full of shirt and pulled him up
close.
"Spare us your condescending remarks, evil one," she
growled at him, "You of all things should be able to tell us
how to get too Hell and save Ranma."
Happosai hissed and began writhing in her grasp. His
hands reached up towards her; Mousse and Shampoo both
expecting a fight, but his withered fingers stopped just
short of her face.
"You may have bound me, but I will never assist you in
your madness!"
"Then be silent and allow Happosai to work."
A last hiss, then Happosai's shoulders sagged down.
"I've, I've never seen my alter-self so agitated," he
managed to say.
Cologne let him go and returned to her pile. "Because
he knows if the powers controlling Hell find out he assisted
us, his existence will be terminated."
"That might not be bad thing," said Shampoo.
"A blessing," added Mousse. "So as I was saying,
Cologne some of these scrolls and stuff I can't read."
"Then pass them along to Happosai or me. We cannot
stop until we've completely exhausted all efforts to save
Ranma."
"And if we not find way? What we do then, Great Grand-
ma?"
Cologne felt the stares upon her. She ignored them,
continuing with her reading. After a moment, she stopped.
"We will find a way," she said somberly. "We will find
a way."

* * * * *

Ranma's grunts and strains echoed through his cell, his
hands gripped tight around the window bars desperately
trying to spread them apart. They refused to give, not even
a slight warp to mar their shape. His strength ebbed, Ranma
let go and slid down to his knees sobbing quietly into the
cold slime covered wall.
"Akane," he muttered through his sobs, "Akane. I can't
do it. I-I-I need you so bad. please. please hear me."
This was the worst he ever felt, and the deepest he had
ever gone in despair. Only the thoughts of Akane held him
away from the brink of collapse, driving the urge to allow
Anijza her way with him from his mind. This is Hell, he
thought, gazing slowly up at the window again. I'm dead. I
must be, that's the only reason I can't breakout of this
cell. Ranma felt his mind giving way again to delirium and
sat sharply upright, shaking his head.
"No," he said. "I must not let her spell take me over.
I will fight you, Anijza! To the end, do you hear me? To
the end!"
He shot to his feet and grabbed the bars again,
straining as he pulled with all his might. "A very futile
effort," a voice from behind said, and Ranma dropped
spinning around.
At the cell window stood one of Anijza's hooded
assistants watching him. He stood up and went to the door.
"What do you want?" asked Ranma.
"I came to check on you, as per our instructions."
"Well you can tell Anijza I'm still not giving in to
her request."
The hooded man's head moved slightly from side to side.
"Such resistance. Truly, once I was like you."
Huh?
Ranma blinked from his surprise and moved closer to the
door. "Once? You mean you too were a prisoner of
Anijza's?"
There came no immediate reply, and then the locks on
the door slammed back. In walked the hooded man and Ranma
instinctively backed away. He stopped in the middle of the
cell, the dark maw of the hood gaping at him.
"I am Kendral, and I was the first of Anijza's
companions."
"First? But. but I thought Anijza-."
"The mistress has existed several centuries before,
Saotome. You are but another of her consorts to appease our
deity's penance."
"Damn. and I wouldn't have thought she was a day
over-." Ranma did a sharp double-take. "Penance? I-I-I'm
a penance for who?"
"Our Master, who requires the mistress to take a new
consort every century."
At the cell door, two more hooded figures appeared.
They stood silently as Kendral went on.
"We have made the ultimate sacrifice in life, Ranma
Saotome. We, Anijza's chosen consorts, have paid her debt
with our very essence."
This was not sounding good to Ranma. He took several
more hesitant steps back fear rising. Kendral's silent
movements followed him.
"Saotome. you will provide our mistress with the energy
she needs to pay her debit and extend her reign of the lower
wastelands."
The two hooded figures began moving in as well, and
Ranma in his panic backpedaled trying to keep them at a
distance.
"I-I-I don't know what you want, Kendral, but stay away
from me!" he cried, pressing into the farthest corner of the
cell.
"We will show you what awaits Ranma Saotome," said
Kendral. He and other hooded men glided to a stop peering
down over Ranma. A rank smell made Ranma choke, twisting
his face away gasping for breath. It's putrid, sweet odor
was that of rotting meat, and then with a hesitant look up,
Ranma drew in a terrified gasp at what he saw.
Kendral's hood draped back exposing a shriveled thing
barely resembling that of a human head. Skin, putrid cold
black folds of it drooped down along the skull, eyes sunken
and yellowed with disease and age glaring upon him in their
cold sockets. Few strands of hair remained, boils that
oozed with pus dotting the top of his head. Likewise
appeared the other two of Anijza's consorts, varied in their
rot and decay depending on when their time of choosing had
been.
"No," gasped Ranma, chin trembling at the horror before
him.
"You will become like us eventually, Saotome,"
continued Kendral from the toothless maw that once was a
mouth, "a slow, ever exhorting consumption of your soul.
Painful, yet lingering, and the Mistress will continue as
she is now while you rot away into forever torment and
suffering."
"No.No. NOOOOOOOO!"
Ranma tried to bat Kendral aside, but a boney hand shot
out grabbing his wrist. The fingers tightened and Ranma let
out a moan of pain.
"There is no resistance, Saotome, and there is no
escape." Kendral thrust Ranma's arm aside, stepping back
along with his companions. They re-covered their heads and
silently turned heading for the door.
"Kendral!" called Ranma. He stopped.
"Yes?"
"I don't belong here!"
Slowly did Kendral turn around. "None of us did. at
first, Ranma," he replied.
Ranma scrambled to his knees desperately reaching out
towards the dark figure. "I don't belong here," he cried,
sobbing uncontrollably, "Please! Please help me get back to
my world!"
"You still do not understand, Ranma?" asked Kendral.
"Understand what?"
A long silence followed then Kendral answered him.
"Your living body has been destroyed, Ranma Saotome. There
is no receptacle for you to return to on your plain. Anijza
has seen to that."
Ranma's arm dropped lifelessly down to his side, shock
covering his face. After a moment, he drew back into the
corner, curling up into a fetal position shuddering in
terror.
"Still the signs of emotions," said Kendral. He went
to the cell door and then paused. "They too will pass once
you are finally made part of the Mistress's world. And
then."
The door clanged shut locking loudly leaving Ranma
alone to contemplate his fate.

* * * * *

Beaming with self-satisfaction, Anijza stood before the
bluish glow of her summoner waiting for her master's reply.
He would be pleased, she thought hands clasped tight behind
her, filled with anticipation. Such pleasure to be had, I
am to be surly rewarded well for the soul I will give!
Ranma Saotome, a spirit as wild as the blazing winds of
Phleghos! Raw, unbridled as his name, surely there is but
none who can equal my offering!
She twirled with delight, unable to control herself any
longer. Moreover, there will be other pleasures long over
due that I will fulfill, continued Anijza. Yes, my
satisfaction will be complete, and all at the hands of one I
have so long desired. Ranma Saotome, you will be my
greatest conquest!
"Anijza," called an ethereal voice from the glow.
Immediately, she turned and went prone before the
summoner. "My lord," she replied, praying he would not be
angered by her joy, "I have good news for you."
"Success, I assume?" came the Deity's reply.
"Yes, my lord. I have brought back my payment as
promised."
"Hmm. interesting. There were no `lingering' problems
then?"
Damn, he knows of Tendo's interference!
"I thwarted all resistance, my lord," she hesitantly
answered.
"I sense doubt in your words, Anijza. Are you hiding
something from me?"
Anijza looked sharply up. "No, my lord!" she
exclaimed, "I brought my offering back as per our laws."
A foreboding feeling filled the air, Anijza eyes locked
fearfully up at the summoner awaiting a reply.
"Very well, little one. I will begin my gathering and
arrive soon to claim my payment."
Anijza smiled, that was until the Deity's large hands
reached out grabbing her by both shoulders and lifted her
into the air.
"But remember what the price of failure is, and of
lying to me."
The arms set her back down, drawing back into the
summoner. "Be ready, Anijza," finished the Deity, and the
glow faded out.
Anijza, once confident, now was filled with fear. She
felt uneasy and turned staggering back to her throne room
and collapsed into the chair with a tired sigh. Out of the
dark shadows appeared a servant holding a steaming goblet of
liquid. It stood waiting silently for her to take it, but
with a dark growl, Anijza batted the goblet aside.
"I do not recall asking for this!" she raged at the
cowering servant. It scurried away, rushing past Kendral
approaching from the main entrance.
"Is there a problem, Mistress?" he asked.
"I also did not call for you!" screamed Anijza, eyes
bright red with hate. "Be gone, worm! Go back to the dung
heap you crawled from!"
Kendral paused, confused and stung by her remark. He
did as instructed going back when Anijza's call stopped him.
"M'lady?" he said, refraining from facing her.
"Ranma. How is he taking his new existence?"
"Not very well, but we all went through that stage at
one time."
"He will settle down," commented Anijza.
"Into a long existence of usefulness I assume?"
Anijza stiffened at the sarcastic remark, regarding
Kendral with distain. So tempting to send him to the
marshes of Minauros to dig for stone, but he was too
valuable to her for the present moment.
"Make ready the preparations for the ceremony," she
ordered.
"And this will be?"
"You know the Master comes when he comes, Kendral.
Have them ready no matter when he arrives."
"As you wish, my lady," replied Kendral with a nod.
Once alone, Anijza sat back in her throne. She
stretched he slender legs out, dreaming of the time when she
and Ranma would be intertwined in hot moments of passion. A
long shudder coursed through her, something rarely given in
the Netherworlds.
The excitement ran hot through her body and a hand
slowly drifted up across her breast. Anijza tipped her head
back letting out a moan. "Oh, Ranma," she cried out to the
skies. "I will have you, I will-."
Suddenly she stopped as her fingers reached her throat.
It was bare, and that made her sit upright. "No," she
gasped, fleecing through and around her attire. "No, no, I
could not have!"
She sat forward, hands passing worriedly through her
hair, realizing that she had made a fatal mistake. "My
locket," she muttered then sprang out of the throne into the
center of the room. Anijza made a throaty, cat like snarl,
fingers shifting with sickening cracks and pops into slender
taloned claws.
"I left my locket behind at the Tendo dojo!" she
hissed, "How could I have been so stupid?"
Anijza dropped to her knees. "Could this be what the
Master was hinting at? Could he know that if that toad
Akane finds it, she could conceivably find a way here to my
realms?"
"rrrrRRRAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"
The cry echoed long throughout the halls of the palace,
and when they subsided, Anijza fell back on her rear, chest
heaving with fury. Finally, she settled down and began
thinking of a way to recover the precious item without annoy
her Master.
"I cannot physically go back and retrieve it," she
muttered. A thought suddenly hit, and a thin smile formed.
She got up going to one of the chest along the wall and
opened it up. "Yes," she said picking out a small purple
colored box, peaking in. A low hiss came from inside and
Anijza's smile grew brighter.
"I may not be able to go back, but I can certainly send
you, my little friend." Another hiss sounded, Anijza
chuckling deviously.
"And who knows? Maybe Akane Tendo herself will have it
in her possession. Won't that be too bad."

* * * * *

It was their usual place in the dojo, a spot where all
of the days ups and downs could be forgotten. Akane Tendo
shifted back gazing up into the midnight sky reflecting on
the past, and of Ranma. The warm night air felt good and
she smiled closing her eyes pretending that he was there,
his rough but gentle voice soothing away her fears.
"Tired?" came a voice and she looked over at Ryoga
sitting beside her.
"Mmm, no. Just thinking that's all," she replied.
Ryoga eyed her, sensing Akane's sorrow. No doubt
thoughts of Ranma again. Damn Anijza for doing this, he
angrily thought, that witch will pay dearly!
"Ryoga," said Akane, breaking him from his thoughts.
She had turned facing him, a deep look of sadness in her
eyes.
"I want to thank you for taking me out tonight."
Fighting down his urges, Ryoga gave his collar a
nervous tug. "Uh, n-n-no problem, Akane. It was my
pleasure."
Akane laughed lightly, placing a tender hand on his
shoulder. "Nabiki's motives are plain; Ryoga, but still I
did need the break."
"You sure did. Those wrinkles of worry growing on your
forehead don't suit you to well."
They both laughed for a moment then a long silence
followed.
"So, ah. you want to go to bed?" Ryoga finally said.
Akane's brows rose up and she gave him a candid look of
mild surprise.
Ryoga realized that did not come out right. "I don't
mean you, me, and y'know. It is late. really!"
Akane let out a sigh. "No. I'm not really tired,
Ryoga."
Before he could say anymore, Akane drew up close to
Ryoga and stared deep into his eyes. This was all Ryoga
could ever ask for and more, Akane at her weakest point. So
vulnerable, needing a tender hand to caress her, but it felt
all wrong like in someway he was violating a sacred trust.
He drew away, beads of sweat dotting his brow.
"Ryoga," said Akane in a light, almost pleading voice,
"You know we'll get Ranma back, don't you?"
"Uh, uh, ah, sh-sh-sure, A-A-Akane! We'll get him
back!"
She smiled then moved closer, giving Ryoga a light kiss
on one cheek. "You're such a good friend. Ranma is so
lucky to have you at his side."
If Ryoga wanted to say anything he could not totally
paralyzed with shock. Akane got up.
"Maybe I should go to bed," she said. "I need to be
rested and ready to go when Cologne does find a way to bring
Ranma back. Good night Ryoga."
Ryoga's eyelids fluttered as she went inside, then
slowly he look in her direction and placed a hand to his
warm face.
". uh, goodnight, Akane," he mumbled, still too dazed
to really comprehend what just went on.

* * * * *

Doctor Ono Tofu watched Akane from his place on the
living room floor, noting the haggard way she carried
herself. No good he thought, hoping the girl could somehow
hold up beneath all of the stress this odd and terrible
situation placed on her.
After the furious battle in the construction zone, Ono
had his hands full tending to everyone's injuries, clearing
away the taint of the demon's touch and healing deep scars
left behind by its evil claws. Any known medical
professional could not cure Akane's pain, the ache deep in
her heart. No, her cure lay in recovering Ranma, and so
far, that hope was quickly slipping away.
"My poor sister," Kasumi Tendo said. She sat close to
Ono's side, the bicep of her right arm wrapped tight in
bandages. That she even had the nerve to fight astounded
Ono. Kasumi, his picture of perfect grace and beauty, in a
brawl with some demon from Hell no less!
"How are you doing?" he asked her.
Kasumi flexed her arm a bit. "Not sore anymore. I
think I will be able to take this off and resume my chores
tomorrow."
"Not a chance," said Tofu firmly. "You will rest like
I have instructed until that injury has fully mended.
"But, Ono-."
He shook his head, then gently leaned close and placed
a warm kiss on the top of her head. "You rest, Kasumi. I
will take care of things."
Kasumi's annoyed pout appeared, arms crossed with
frustration. "Ono Tofu, I am not a child, and I feel much
better. So, so, you can stop all of the kid-glove
treatment."
"And I am your doctor, and I think I know what is best
for you in this situation."
She could not argue with the fact, but at least there
was one thing she could do that would not put to much strain
on her or Tofu's mind.
"Kasumi, where are you going," called Ono as she got
up.
"I still have to put the mail out for pick-up tomorrow.
Bills have to be paid."
The defiant woman strode off and Ono could only smile
at her selfless devotion to duty.

* * * * *

A dark form slinked along the lower walls of the Tendo
dojo compound, eyeing the home with hungry eyes as it moved
to complete the task given. The smell of living flesh
permeated the air, driblets of hot saliva running down its
matted chin, the urge to feast strong in its belly.
No! The task was not to devour, but to return what
belonged to the mistress, and that object lay somewhere
inside this stinking domicile amidst the beings that dwelled
on this plain. A way in was needed, to pass inside without
arousing suspicions and search. There seemed no way, all
the doors oddly warded or there were too many beings around
for safe passage.
The creature slipped up through the brush, pressing
along the side of a tree, its steely claws gouging deep into
the bark, tendrils rustling the leaves and limbs with
displeasure. Suddenly, the front door opened and out
stepped a female carrying something in her hands, walking
towards the main gates. A low pleased growl rumbled from
the creature's throat, lips curling back as opportunity
presented itself. A brief moment of concentration brought
an image from this one's mind. It quickly transformed and
made ready for her return.

* * * * *

"The nerve of Ono, telling me I cannot clean my own
home," grumbled Kasumi as she dropped the letters into the
mailbox. Even though she deeply loved the man, she could
not even begin to think about allowing her daily chores to
go by for a second. Already there were signs of dust on the
furniture. Not in my house!
"Well I'll just have to show him tomorrow," she fumed,
striding purposely back up the walkway. "Ono Tofu, Doctor
or no doctor, I will-."
"Meow?"
Kasumi stopped searching the dark grounds for the
source of the cry. It called again, and there just at the
foot of the porch sat a small tiny brown and grey kitten.
It appeared weak and sickly, shaking as if in fear. Its
large yellow eyes looked up pleadingly to her and then let
out another low meow.
"Awwww, you poor dear," said Kasumi kneeling to pick
the kitten up. "Where is your mother, hm?"
"Mew," cried the kitten, rising up to give her a lick
on the nose.
"Well I'm taking you inside right now. Feed you, clean
you up, and you'll be as good as new by dawn."
The pleased kitten snuggled up to Kasumi's breast, a
brief glint of evil reflecting on its face as Kasumi went
back into the dojo.
"Ono," she called as she kicked of her slippers, "Ono,
come look at the pretty kitten I found outside."
In the living room, Ono smirked casting a questioning
glance over at Ryoga. That woman's heart is just too big;
he muttered getting up to see what she was talking about.
He rounded the corner and made an abrupt stop as the dark
aura wafting up from the cat touched his mind.
"Kasumi!" he cried, "Kasumi, put that kitten down!"
The kitten in her arms too felt Tofu powers and knew
that it was exposed. Meanwhile, Kasumi stood staring
curiously at Doctor Tofu.
"Ono, this poor little thing needs some care and
comfort."
Tofu called for Ryoga, reached into his pocket pulling
out a tome. "Kasumi, that cat is evil! Put it down now!"
he shouted again.
"Ono! Such accusations," answered Kasumi. She began
gently stroking the fur of the kittens back and neck,
turning its head up toward her. It appeared to be enjoying
her caress, face rubbing against her chest. Kasumi smiled,
until the kitten's eyes started glowing. She let out a
small gasp and tried to pull her hand away, but realized
with fearful alarm that the hairs of its back were twining
themselves tightly around her fingers.

* * * * *

Kasumi's scream sat Akane upright in her bed. She
threw back the covers and dashed to the door to see what was
going on. Out in the hall, Nabiki stood staring out in the
direction of the stairway still rubbing the sleep from her
eyes.
"What the hell?" she muttered then stumbled groggily
after Akane as she rushed past. The sisters stopped at the
top of the steps, and a cold chill went through them as they
caught sight of the monster standing in the foyer below.
It bore the resemblance of a cat reared high up on long
sinewy legs. Dark hair covered its body, thick paws barred
ready to fight any who tried to oppose it. From its back
long tendrils writhed in the air and entwined in them was
Kasumi struggling to squirm free, a hand pulling at the cord
wrapped tightly around her neck. The creature held her
protectively before it effectively preventing Doctor Tofu
and Ryoga from attacking.
"Oh, I see we have more company," remarked Nabiki.
Akane gave her sister a look of disbelief then called
down to Ono and Ryoga. "Doctor Tofu what is it?"
Ono Tofu moved back and forth, his tome held up between
two fingers waiting for an opportunity to strike and dispel
this beast. "A creature from Hell, Akane, but I do not know
why it is here or what it wants!"
"What do you want us to do?"
The creature's head turned up at them, letting out a
deep growl and hiss, making a swipe through the air
destroying part of the railing.
"Us?" questioned Nabiki, inching away from potential
harm. Kasumi's cry split the air again.
Down the lower hallway thundered Soun, his battle sword
drawn. He skidded to a stop upon seeing the hulking
monstrosity, letting out a fearful groan of concern at
Kasumi's plight.
"Tofu, do something!" he shouted, taking a ready
stance.
Ryoga, brandishing a chair before him, shook his head.
"We can't get close enough, Mister Tendo. Every time we try
it tightens its grip around Kasumi."
"What does it want?"
A long growl rumbled from the thing and it rasped out,
"Lllrooccckkeetttt!" several times.
"Okay, my Monster 101 is weak. Did anybody catch
that?" asked Ryoga.
"Jokes are not needed right now, Hibiki," said Ono, and
to emphasis his point, the tendrils around Kasumi tightened
making her cry out again.
"This has to be Anijza's doing!" Akane said, "But why
did she send this thing back here?"
"It does not matter!" raged Soun, "Save Kasumi!"
The creature took several steps back inching towards
the stairs. Nabiki retreated from view as Akane stood ready
for battle, but then an angry cry came from the hall just
beyond. Genma Saotome sprang from out of the shadows
pouncing down on its shoulders. The rest of the group
immediately attacked while the things attention was drawn
away.
The chair Ryoga wielded broke harmlessly across its
chest, a retaliatory paw catching him across the face
slamming back into the adjacent wall. Genma planted a hard
fist to one eye and it let out a cry of pain, raising its
back up into the ceiling trying to dislodge him. A painful
swipe severed several tendrils and it cried out again as
Soun continued to hack away at the things holding his
daughter. Suddenly, Kasumi was whisked around colliding
face first into her father's stunning him. Without pause,
the creature's tail snapped catching Ono beneath the chin
and he too fell away.
Akane tried to attack, but in a flash the thing still
with Kasumi in its deadly grasp shot up the steps brushing
her aside with a sturdy shoulder blow. She hit the wall
going to the floor grimacing in pain, and then rolled onto
her stomach. Nabiki knelt down beside her.
"Akane? Akane!"
"Yeah. Nabiki, your help would be much appreciated
right about now."
Akane shook the stars from her eyes then looked sharply
up the hall. "Where did it go?" she asked.
"In your room," answered Nabiki, pointing at the broken
doorway leading into Akane's bedroom. They could hear her
furniture being thrown about, an occasional moan from Kasumi
letting them know that she was still alive. Together, the
two sisters went to the doorway.
The bedroom was a shambles with clothes strewn
everywhere, Akane's bed flipped upside-down her desk smashed
completely in two. Over at the closet the creature dug
furiously through the shelves slinging items back over its
head in frantic search of Anijza's lost locket. At its feet
Kasumi still lie draped in the tendrils, her eyes clenched
shut struggling for gulps of air.
"Stop that!" shouted Akane, boldly charging into the
room.
The thing drew back and glared evilly at her then took
a step towards Akane. "Lllrooccckkeetttt!" it growled again
in its unintelligible voice.
"I don't know what you are looking for, but you stop
hurting my sister like that!"
Hesitantly, the creature glanced down at Kasumi
realizing that this tiny morsel wanted it to let her go. It
let out what could only be equated to as a laugh, and then
lifted Kasumi high in the air and tossed her towards the
corner of the room. Akane let out a yell and leaped
catching her sister, but was unable to stop their movement
and they landed amidst the jumble of ripped mattresses and
bedding.
"Kasumi, Kasumi speak to me!" said Akane. Kasumi
murmured something incoherently and Akane tried to gather
her up when an ominous hiss came from behind. She slowly
turned and then screamed at the angry face glaring mere
millimeters from hers.
"Lllrooccckkeetttt!"
"Uh, Akane. I think this monster kitten wants you to
give it something," said Nabiki.
Akane gulped down the lump in her throat. "Nabiki,
could you please do something?" she pleaded to her sister.
Nabiki looked back down the hallway. "Doctor Tofu,
Daddy, Ryoga, Mister Saotome, you're needed up here!"
Oh great, thought Akane. "What do you want from me?"
she shouted at the creature.
Once again, the monster rasped out its request. Akane
cast a forlorn look over at her sister, who could only shrug
back just as lost. A sharp cough drew the creature back up
on its hind legs then it grabbed at its throat as if being
choked by some unseen force. Its shoulders heaved and a
deep warbling moan carried up into the air. Akane drew back
against the sound as it continued to rise, finally leveling
out into a contemptuous laugh.
A cold flush ran though Akane's veins recognizing whose
laugh it was. "Anijza," she hissed through grit teeth,
seething with fury.
"Well, Akane Tendo. I did not think I would have this
much trouble retrieving my possessions," Anijza's voice said
from the beast.
Very slowly did Akane rise to her feet. Her entire
body shook with rage, all fear now gone as she faced down
the monster with a look of death. Ono, Soun, Ryoga and
Genma appeared at the doorway.
"Akane!" cried Ryoga, but Nabiki held out her arm
stopping his advance.
"Anijza," she said, still staring fearfully at the
creature.
"That's Anijza?" Ono asked.
"She sure has changed," commented Ryoga.
Meanwhile, Anijza's voice continued. "Give me back
what is mine, Akane Tendo," it said.
Akane's chest heaved. "You bring Ranma back to me!"
she raged.
"Hah, hah, hah! Still harboring love for my new
consort? Never, you little toad! Now hand over my locket
immediately, or suffer a most painful fate beneath my
minion's claws!"
Much to everyone's surprise, Akane yelled loudly and
leaped with fist barred straight at the creature. Caught
off guard, her rock hard knuckles caught it square on the
chin toppling it end over end to the floor.
"You bitch!" screamed Akane, poised ready to strike
again, "I'll kill you, and I'll get Ranma back!"
"Whoa!" gasped Ryoga, "Now I see why Ranma doesn't
allow her to hit him."
"Oh, locket," Nabiki said. "So that's what it was
saying. Must be talking about the one we gave to Cologne
along with the rest of Anijza's things."
The creature's head snapped up and looked sharply at
Nabiki. It growled, curling back away from Akane and
narrowed its eyes. They flashed, and then Nabiki's head
jerked with a sharp shriek. She fell back into Ono Tofu's
arms.
Tofu knew immediately what the thing had done. "Akane,
stop it!" he called out, but it was too late. The creature
crashed though the window disappearing into the night
beyond.
"Damn," growled Ono. He passed Nabiki to Soun and went
to check on Kasumi. Her neck and wrists were bruised, nose
bloodied but no apparent breaks that he could see. "Soun,
Genma, you stay here and tend to the girls," he finished,
standing up.
"Wha-! Where are you going?" Soun asked.
"Akane, Ryoga and I have to go after that thing."
"We are?" said Ryoga.
"We do?" added Akane.
"Yes. It's going after Anijza's locket and that means
it will be heading down to the Nekohatten to get it back."
"Oh my gosh!" exclaimed Akane, "We've got to warn
Cologne!"
"We'll call her on the way. Come on, there is no time
to waste!"

* * * * *

"You must be mistaken, Happi," Cologne grumbled low at
Happosai. They stood off in the back room of the
Nekohatten, conferring about something that apparently had
the old sage up in arms. To Shampoo and Mousse, this did
mean that things were not about to get better. It was bad
enough having to scan and rescan through old tome and
parchments most of the night, now those two found something
so dark it had to be kept from them.
"I not like this," said Shampoo to Mousse.
He yawned, stretching his arms and laid back across
some chairs, resting his eyes. "Good or bad, at least we
can get some sleep."
"Silly blind boy!" snapped Shampoo. "This might mean
we not able to get Ranma back from evil Anijza."
Moose cut her a quick peek, rolling his eyes over
towards the back room. "Well, I'm still tired," he replied,
closing them again.
Meanwhile, Cologne and Happosai spread out the
parchment of their concern out on the floor and were
studying it closer now.
"You see, Cologne, this is the spell we need to send
them too Anijza" Happosai said. He passed the light in his
hand over part of the parchment so Cologne could read the
inscriptions.
"But the way we must do this, Happi," she replied. Her
wizened features drooped into motherly concern and she
started pacing around, wringing both hands nervously
together. "I cannot do it!" she finally said, rounding
sharply to Happosai.
"Then you can forget all about Ranma Saotome," came the
warbled reply from Happosai's demon.
Cologne's shoulders sagged. "I guess it is the only
way," she sighed. Just then the phone rang. "Now who would
be calling us at this time of the night?" she wondered,
moving to the door.
Shampoo was already there and picked up the receiver.
"Nihao! Sorry, Nekohatten cl-."
[Shampoo, it's me, Akane! Don't talk, just listen!
Lock all of your doors and windows and tell Cologne
something bad is coming your way. Something dark and evil!]
Frowning at the receiver, Shampoo looked over to
Cologne.
"What is it child?" she asked.
"It Akane. She say something evil coming to
Nekohatten."
"What!" cried the old sage. Behind her, a long wail
rose up from Happosai. He lay on his side curled up in a
ball shaking uncontrollably.
"We are doomed," moaned his demonic-voice, "The dark
ones have sent an avenger to kill me!"
Mousse, sitting up right now, started with surprise at
the news. "What's that?"
Akane's frantic calls drew Shampoo's attention back to
the phone. [Shampoo, it wants Anijza's locket, understand,
it's coming for her locket.]
[Locket? Why it want ugly thing?]
[I don't know! Just lock yourselves in and we'll be
there to help you in a few minutes!]
"Shampoo!" shouted Cologne, "What is Akane saying?"
Shampoo started to answer when from the roof they all
heard a loud thump then the scraping of nails on the brick
shingles. Mousse, staring with jaw agape up at the ceiling,
slowly came to his feet. Another long moan came from
Happosai, and even Cologne had to pause in fear.
[Akane,] said Shampoo, [It here.] and hung up the
phone.
"Noooo! Dooommmmeeeddd, DOOOMMEEDD!" moaned Happosai.
"Be silent!" snapped Cologne. She grabbed him by the
collar and dragged him back out into the center of the
dining room.
More scrapping could be heard then heavy steps across
the roof as whatever it was searched for a way inside. The
three stood tracking the movements waiting for the attack
sure to follow.
"Aw Hell," said Mousse. "What is that?"
"We'll find out soon enough," answered Cologne.
"Shampoo, did Akane say why it is here?"
"It want evil Anijza's locket."
"Of course," said Cologne with a snap of her fingers.
She cast a glance back at the storeroom where Anijza's
things were and then another heavy thump drew her eyes back
up to the ceiling. "Mousse, go upstairs and lock all of the
doors."
He stared down at her in shock. "No way! I don't need
visuals to know that whatever it is up there is probably
bigger, meaner than me, and terribly upset right about now.
Beat me to a pulp, but I am not going up there alone." A
crash of a window sounded. "Besides, it's already inside."
Growling angrily, Cologne snatched up her staff and
went to the foot of the steps. "Then go get Anijza's things
and bring them to the dining room! Shampoo, my bag of
wards. Hurry!"
The two sprang into action, Shampoo quickly retrieving
Cologne's bag of magic spells and wards; Mousse darting into
the storeroom carrying out the box containing Anijza's
locket and clothes. It reeked, even though sealed tight
with thick strips of tape, the stench foul enough to wrinkle
their noses.
"Ugh! Maybe we should just give this stuff back after
all," commented Mousse as he set it down on the floor.
"No! We need it," said Cologne.
She took her bag and started rummaging through it
searching for the right vial that she needed to ward off
this creature. Upstairs they could hear it ransacking the
rooms, heavy furniture and other objects crashing against
the walls.
"My room," gasped Shampoo.
"The more time it takes up there, the more time I get
to prepare," said Cologne. She pulled out a vial holding it
up. It was a Milky-white powder with a faint glow of its
own even under the lights. Tapping the sides, Cologne made
a strained grunt, clutching it tight.
"There is not enough here to protect all of us," she
told them as she looked around the dining room. "We'll have
to fight it."
"Fight!" exclaimed Shampoo.
"And how long will that be?" Mousse frantically asked.
"Till dawn if memory serves me correctly."
"All my weapons up in room, great grand-ma!" Shampoo
pointed out to her. "We only have kitchen utensils-."
"Then they will have to do!" shouted Cologne. "Both of
you stop sniveling and get ready."
Grabbing Happosai again, Cologne dragged him over to
the box and set him on top. He writhed in unimaginable
fright and suffering while she uncorked the vial and started
to tap out the powder in a circle on the floor. Suddenly,
Happosai stopped and looked strangely at her.
"You cannot defeat it, Cologne," rasped Happosai's
demon.
Cologne briefly paused, and then with a slight curl of
her lip, continued to complete her task. Once done, she
went back to her bag and pulled out two more vials, tossing
one up to Mousse. "Sprinkle every blade you have with
that," she told him. Taking Shampoo by a hand, she pulled
her granddaughter over behind the counter next to the grill
and pointed to the assortment of cutting knives and pans.
"Great grand-ma, will this kill monster?" asked Shampoo
as she dusted the blade of a large cutting knife.
"No, but it will hurt and that might make it think
twice about attacking us head on."
Mousse tipped several of the tables onto their sides.
"I'd rather give it that crap in the box than sit here
fighting until the sun comes up," he grumbled.
There came one last crash from upstairs then an ominous
silence followed. "Mousse, dim the lights," whispered
Cologne, and they crouched low behind what cover they could
find waiting for the monster above to make its appearance.
It was not long in coming, first a heavy paw thumped
down on the top step, followed by another in slow, cautious
repetition. Mousse twirled two long slim daggers out of his
sleeves and peered up over the edge of the table he hid
behind. He could see it poised midway down the stairs,
feline head scanning the lower levels searching for any sign
of life. Its nostrils flared following the stench and it
looked around at the box and its unwilling associate lying
on top. With a low growl, the thing continued to climb
down, but then Mousse stood up launching the daggers with
deadly accuracy.
A shriek and yowl of pain filled the air, the daggers
embedded deep into each shoulder, ribbons of grey smoke
curling up from the wounds. Desperately, the creature
leaped towards the foot of the stairs, but Cologne appeared
her staff held at the ready to block its path. The knobby
end hit it square in the chest and there was a bright flash
followed by another painful cry. The monster thrashed about
on the steps then looked up ready to attack catching the lid
of an iron pot square in the side of its head.
"Ya-tah!" cried Shampoo victoriously as the creature
scampered back up the steps.
Mousse rushed out ready to follow, but Cologne stopped
him. "We've got it on the run," he said.
"No, those injuries are not as disabling as we think.
Let's just try and keep it contained for now."
"Contained? That's a laugh."
Cologne hushed him to silence her keen senses tracking
the movements above. Carefully, she walked out into the
dining room, motioning for Shampoo and Mousse to spread out
and be ready for the next attack. They could hear the
clatter of Mousse's daggers hitting the floor, a nervous
feeling passing through them as the building grew silent
once more.
"What could it be doing now?" whispered Mousse.
"Hush!" snapped Cologne.
There came a light step, Cologne, Mousse, and Shampoo
shifting to form a circle around the box. They waited with
weapons ready then the monster struck.
CEEERRRRAAASSHHHH!
The ceiling broke open above Cologne forcing her to
leap desperately aside. Barley did she avoid death and from
amidst the swirling dust surged the creature straight
towards Shampoo. She cried out, hurling her knife at the
thing and backed away. The blade was deflected aside with a
swipe of one paw; Shampoo feeling the rush of air as it
passed precariously close above her head, and then two dark
appendages snaked around her left ankle and she screamed as
she was lifted high into the air.
"Let her go!" shouted Mousse. He lunged, a Sai in each
hand, stabbing the monsters broad back and side repeatedly.
Its roar of pain filled the restaurant and it turned
slinging Shampoo into Mousse. They pitched across the room
in a tangled heap of arms and legs rolling to a stop against
the wall.
Ignoring them, the creature turned and reached down to
retrieve the box but a hard blow across its head drew it
around. Growling, it rose up to full height and glared down
at Cologne's tiny figure standing defiantly below.
"You will not get that so easily, spawn of Hell," she
seethed. Her staff came up, a thrust forcing the monster
back. It growled again swiping at her, but Cologne was a
blur moving around hitting its side gaining a satisfying
grunt of pain. She landed on top of a table, calling to her
two charges.
"Get up! I cannot keep this thing at bay forever!"
Mousse pulled himself up assisting Shampoo to her feet.
"Here," he said, pulling another set of Sai out from his
many hidden compartments. She took them, twirling them
briefly between her fingers then charged behind an Amazonian
warcry; Mousse right along with her.
The furious battle raged with growing intensity,
growls, shouts, and yelps of pain echoing above the din.
Happosai could only watch as they fought, and his demonic
soul cringed fighting to break Cologne's spell cast upon
him. Suddenly, Cologne caught the broad backhand of a paw
and sailed over the kitchen counter; Mousse receiving a lash
from the tendrils hitting the wall behind him with enough
force to crack the plaster.
Shampoo ducked a blow and thrust the blade of her Sai
deep up into creatures shoulder joint. It howled giving a
kick that sent the Amazon aside. The monster started to
follow then realized that the box containing its mistress's
possessions was now unguarded. All thoughts turned back to
the original mission and it pounced. A bright flash of
white light greeted the creature's outstretched claws,
searing pain burning its fur and hide.
The creature growled angrily and looked down staring
hard at Happosai's terror filled face.
"TTTRRRAAAITTOORRR!" it rasped at him.
"No! I have been condemned!" moaned Happosai's demonic
spirit. He covered his face and turned away.
Cologne leaped up on the counter. "Mousse, get it away
from the box!" she cried.
Mousse, still dazed from the last blow instinctively
reached out taking hold of the nearest blur in view.
Unfortunately, that blur turned out to be the creature's
thick bushy tail. It jerked to a stop poised over the ward
as he pulled back with all his remaining strength.
"That's as far as you goOOOOO!"
Mousse was jerked through the air, clinging for his
life to the tail as it thrashed about.
Cologne re-entered the fray, her staff striking
repeatedly driving it back. Shampoo joined her, a chair
held protectively up batting aside the tendrils and claws
coming for her. The creature's fury grew angered by the
delays and pain it took from these miserable surface-
dwellers. Tendrils lashed striking Mousse about his back
and shoulders, but his grip remained tight. The creature's
tail swung up sharply left then right straight at Cologne.
Like a thick club, Mousse's body sent her aside, and then
another strong flick launched him towards the box.
He hit with a loud thud knocking it and Happosai out of
the ring, the weight of Mousse's body breaking open one
side. Out spilled the remains of what was once Anijza's
clothes and bag, now a dark rotting mess of cloth and
debris. The stench intensified choking all but the creature
ready to complete its task.
First, it had to get Mousse off its tail, and a final
hard flick launched him screaming out across the dinning
room. He landed next to the front doors winching sharply
from the pain. An odd shadow filled the glass he noticed.
Looking up, there stood Akane peering in trying to see what
was happening, Doctor Tofu and Ryoga behind her. A shaky
hand reached up and turned the latch to allow them in.
"Mousse!" exclaimed Akane, kneeling to help him sit up
out of the way.
"Ooh, so glad to see you guy could make the party," he
said.
A cry from Cologne drew them around. "AH! Stop it!
It's devouring Anijza's things!"
It was true, the demonic-beast engorging itself on the
remains scatter on the floor, stuffing paws full of items
into its mouth without pause. A metallic clatter sounded,
Anijza's precious locket bouncing to the floor. It stopped
and reached out, but Happosai's swift form shot between its
legs grabbing the locket. A desperate paw slammed him face
down to the floor before he could get out of reach.
"Shampoo! Do something!" shouted Cologne.
She did, charging towards the monster wielding a knife.
It looked up letting out a blast of its now putrid breath,
bringing Shampoo to a stuttering stop. The Amazon went
ridged and fell back to the floor. The creature shook
Happosai until the locket fell from his grasp, caught it,
cut Cologne a victorious look of triumph before dropping it
into its mouth.
Almost immediately after, a dim blue glow started to
form in the air behind it, growing in intensity with a swirl
of mist and flashes of light. "No," gasped Cologne as it
turned ready to journey back to Hell. Something white
flashed through the air planting itself in the square of the
creatures back. It let out a loud howl of pain as the tome
Doctor Tofu threw worked its way into the pelt and flesh.
Dark ooze started flowing from the wound, and then another
tome planted itself near a shoulder drawing another hideous
shriek from the thing.
By then, the bright light from the portal forced
everyone to shield their eyes. Happosai fell from the
creature's paw and he rolled frantically away from the
sucking pull of air. A long moan and then the creature
collapsed, a paw reaching out as if pleading for help from
the world beyond. "Hang on too something!" shouted Cologne
above the growing din.
The air rushed madly around with a roar, and they could
see the monster being pulled into the portal. Desperately,
Ryoga leaped, taking hold of the tail and pulled. He
strained teeth grit tight and another pair of hands wrapped
around his waist. It was Akane tugging with all of her
might, Doctor Tofu, Mousse, and Happosai also pitching in,
but the pull was too strong for them. Ryoga's grip finally
gave way, they yelped, tumbling back, and the creature
disappeared. The portal collapsed in on itself; the last
sounds were that of a light giggle fading away into nothing.
"(Huff, huff), Well that didn't turn out so good," said
Ryoga between breaths.
Cologne grabbed Ono by the front of his shirt and
pulled him upright. "Tofu," she said thrusting a glass and
silver silk cloth into his hands, "Take these and help me
collect that thing's blood."
Tofu quickly complied, Cologne running over to the
other side also with a glass and cloth. Together, they
scooped up several dissipating slicks of dark writhing blood
from every surface they found it on, covering the tops with
the cloths, sealing them tight with strands of the old
sage's hair.
Cologne sat tiredly down on the floor. "At least not a
total loss," she said, resting her head on her knees.
Doctor Tofu sat Shampoo up. He gave her a quick once
over then with a light tap to one cheek brought her around.
She started, frantically looking around unawares that the
battle was over.
"It's gone, Shampoo," said Tofu. "Relax."
She sighed shoulders sagging as she looked around the
shattered dining room. Her gaze caught Cologne's and she
flinched. "Sorry, great grand-ma," she said. "Monster need
big breath mint."
A brief break fro the seriousness of their situation,
after the laughter died down, it grew quite.
"So what now?" asked Mousse.
"We lost Anijza's locket," said Ryoga. "What did it
want that for anyway?"
"It was a way to track Ranma down," answered Cologne.
"No. No, no, NOOOO!" Akane cried. She burst into
tears, Ryoga pulling her close for comfort.
"It is not as hopeless as it seems, Akane," said
Cologne.
"Great Grand-ma find way," Shampoo told them.
Akane's tears stopped and she looked expectantly at
Cologne. The old sage's expression grew troubled and she
turned away, an uneasy hand rubbing her chin. Doctor Tofu
could see something was not right.
"Cologne, you did find a way, didn't you?" he asked.
She nodded but remained silent for a moment.
"Tofu, take Happosai back to the dojo. Akane, you and
Ryoga go wake up your friends. Tell them to meet us at the
dojo within the hour. Mousse, go get Gosunkugi and bring
him to the dojo as well. Shampoo and I will be along
shortly."
Cologne said no more, hanging her head. From the way
she spoke, trouble brewed in the wings, but they did as
instructed leaving Shampoo and her grandmother alone.
Shampoo watched her for a moment wondering what could be so
bothering to her great-grandmother. She leaned towards
Cologne then noticed a slight heave of her shoulders. A
closer look drew Shampoo back with a gasp of surprise.
It was the first time in her life that she had ever
seen her great-grandmother cry.