[Fanfic] BGC/Ranma: The Circe Project pts. 1-4

Nightelf

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

Nightelf (nwl...@tam2000.tamu.edu) presents...

The Circe Project

Part 1

Bubblegum Crisis characters created by Kenichi Sonoda
Ranma 1/2 characters created by Rumiko Takahashi

Don't do anything stupid with this fanfic without the author's permission.
If you want to, ask. I'm not unreasonable...usually.

As for those who've seen this on the Solaris feed before, Megazone
didn't get it, so I'm resending. Part 3 at least should be coming in a
couple of days...and maybe part 4, if I can swing it in time.

Enjoy the show...

The bar had seen better days...the wooden tables and chairs, truly a
rare sight in this day and age, were cut, rotting, and seemed on the verge
of collapsing. Sawdust covered the floor, serving as automatic spill
control for whatever may end up there. A few broken souls dotted the place,
their humanity crushed under a corporation's heel, the pieces shadowed by
the darkness, unable to see the stars covered by the sterile light of the
city, burying whatever humanity remained underneath uncertain sips of cheap
synthetic. The smell...the smell was a strange mix of alcohol, sweat,
vomit, and a few other less-identifiable odors, proving a perfect match for
the shards of civilization scattered about.

Through this cesspool, a woman entered and walked across to the bar,
bringing the impression that the deities had decided to base themselves by
walking amongst the mortals for a time. She was young, in her early
twenties, with smooth pale skin and relatively short black hair. Her
expression was a picture of calm stoicism, with little reaction to the
people around her, though her eyes showed a depth rarely seen in humanity.
She wore an immaculate red business suit, cut neatly and conservatively,
subdued and exquisite. She sat down at the bar and quietly asked for a
glass of water. She sat there for a moment, slowly drinking, paying
little attention to some mumbling idiot a few stools down.

A shuffling. One of the fragments rose from his table seat, walked
to the bar with a surprising degree of control, and sat down next to
the goddess in scarlet. He was a rather nondescript man, in his early
thirties, with disheveled sandy hair, a day's growth of facial hair on his
chin, and tired eyes. His clothes, a true contrast to his companion's,
consisted of a dirty, threadbare gray coat, dingy brown slacks, and worn
brown loafers. Neither one turned to the other as they began to speak.

"Hello, Sylia."

"Hello, Fargo. What job do you have for us?"

"...(sigh)...An information-raiding party. Biotek, inc. wants your
operatives to break into a Genom research lab, copy its files, and get out."

The young woman raised an eyebrow. "What kind of information?"

The man shook his head. "Frightening stuff. Damn frightening. Have
you heard about the Circe Project?"

Sylia, for once, looked surprised. The Circe Project...it made Genom's
boomer research look like a freshman chemistry experiment. There were few
rumors...but what rumors there were would be enough to frighten anyone.
Rumor had it that high-ranking Genom execs who got on Quincy's bad side once
too often were transferred to Circe - as experiment fodder. Other rumors -
of men turning into swine and other animals - were usually dismissed as
fantasy. Unfortunately, some of the evidence found on the project suggested
it was more than fantasy...

"Circe...that's going to be expensive. And dangerous. How much?"

"125 million, 75 in advance."

"Why so much?"

"The lab's in a remote section of China...all the information you'll
need is on here," he said, handing her a small disk.

"Thanks. I'll let you know in a day or two." Finishing her water, she
slipped the disk into a coat pocket, left money for the tab, and left. She
didn't notice the fool sitting near her shift over a couple of seats and
take hers.

A few minutes later, as an immaculately clean and shiny red
Mercedes-Benz roared through the streets of MegaTokyo, Sylia pondered this
new job offer. "Something's wrong here...It's too...too...convenient? A
job against Genom, something we rarely turn down...a potentially
power-shifting type of information...a place far away from the familiar
confines of MegaTokyo...the amount of payment...this is just screaming
'trap'. But...who would value our lives at 75 million? Are we _that_
much of a thorn in Genom's side? Also. Fargo would have double-checked
for any traps. Oh well...if the information on the disk checks out, I'll
probably accept...Genom with a weapon that can transform people is just
too powerful."

She then shifted gears, put the pedal to the floor, and buried any
doubts in a rush of speed.

Three days later...

"So what's this place we're hitting again?" Priss' question echoed
through the Knightwing.

"Didn't you pay attention in the briefing?" Sylia's voice, canned
somewhat by the helmet, showed the briefest hint of annoyance.

Priss looked sheepish even with the hardsuit on. "Yeah, but...I
kinda forgot."

"...(sigh)...It's called the Jusenkyo Bioengineering Laboratories. Do
you remember the plan?"

"Yeah, yeah...(starts going by rote) Enter the area from the north
side, cross over a group of springs, and, while Linna and I run interference
outside, you, Nene, and Mackie run in and download their computer into our
files. Right?"

Sylia smiled beneath her armor. "I'm glad you remembered something."

"We're almost there. Get ready." Mackie's voice projected barely
contained excitement. Sylia needed his expertiece, so he came along, clad
in a bulky yellow hardsuit. At his warning, the others began to make
last-minute checks and preparations.

"Jump in five seconds...Now!" Setting the 'wing on hover, Mackie
leapt out of the craft along with the others and landed softly, his jump
slowed at the last second by retro-rockets. He watched as the others
drifted down, their agile movements silhouetted against the moonlight.

"This is Sylia. Everyone copy?"

"Yeah, I'm here."
"Copy."
"Copy, sis."
"I copy."

She looked at the others one by one, checking to see if there were any
problems. "Okay. We're about one kilometer from the laboratory. Keep
it quiet and don't fall into the springs. There may be traps, so be
careful." The group walked through the woods, ready for any possible
resistance.

Nene was worried as the group walked through the woods. Something
didn't seem right about all of this...

"I don't like it. Why would they leave the springs relatively
unprotected?"

"I don't know. Maybe they figured that any force strong enough to
attack would be hindered by the springs."

"Or maybe it's a trap waiting to happen..."

"Quiet!" Sylia's voice hissed over the radio. "We're almost there."

They cleared the woods and looked at the springs in awe. There were
hundreds of them...of every imaginable shape and size. No wonder it
wasn't well defended. No large force could go across without serious
logistics difficulties. Also, there was no dry cover.

"Nene, are you reading any traps?" Sylia's voice was showing a little
bit of strain.

"Only the usual sensors...no big deal."

"Good. I don't want any surprises here."

They started walking through the area, taking care to avoid the
springs. Water doesn't float, after all...they had gotten about halfway
through when Linna heard a *click* underfoot.

"Sylia..."

"Sylia! A bunch of sensors just flared up! Something else too..."
Nene's voice was on the edge of panic.

"Holy..." Metal tendrils shot up from the ground, looking for
something to latch on to. The group tried to avoid as best they could.

"Sylia! I can't affect these things!" Nene was getting hysterical.

"Get out of the area, _now_!" Sylia fired the boosters on her jets,
soaring above the reach of the tendrils.

"Sylia! I'm caught!"

"Sis!" Nene and Mackie screamed as the tendrils grabbed them, then
slammed them into the springs.

"Sis! The water..."

The next thing Sylia saw was a message on her HUD.

*** EMERGENCY - SECURITY ALERT 507 - SUIT 5 ***
*** EMERGENCY - SECURITY ALERT 214 - SUIT 4 ***

"impossible..." She was so taken aback by the messages that she put
herself in reach, narrowly missing getting caught herself. She watched as
the two suits fired their emergency boosters and flew to the Knightwing. A
shudder went through her as she saw Nene's suit: it flew by itself,
carrying its helmet underneath one arm, creating the impression of a
twenty-first-century Headless Horseman. Pulling herself together, only
one option remained in her mind.

"Linna, Priss, get out of there, now! Head back to the Knightwing!"
She turned around and headed toward the aircraft.

"Chikusho...*SPLASH*..."

"PRISS!!!"

*** EMERGENCY - SECURITY ALERT 214 - SUIT 2 ***

Only Linna was left. Sylia watched, horrified, as Linna fired her
boosters, was caught by a tendril, and slam-dunked into a spring. Priss'
suit, like Nene's, rose from the water, its headless body flying through the
air providing a none-too-subtle reminder: This was the death of the Knight
Sabers, and the springs, their graveyard. She barely heard Linna's screams,
then stared in fascination at the readings coming in:

*** EMERGENCY - SECURITY ALERT 507 - SUIT 3 ***
*** CRIT FAILURE - WEAPONS SYSTEMS - SUIT 3 ***
*** CRIT FAILURE - MOTOR SYSTEMS - SUIT 3 ***

The hardsuit flew clumsily from the spring, like a broken marionette.
Sensing trouble, it launched the suit far higher than it was supposed to
go. Sylia watched as damage reports mounted.

*** CRIT FAILURE - SECURITY FAILSF - SUIT 3 ***
*** CRIT FAI-------------------------------------
:
:
:
:
:

The hardsuit sputtered, died, and fell to earth, its strings cut, and
all Sylia could do was watch. Fighting back tears, she headed back to the
Knightwing, her hopes crushed. As she sank into the pilot's seat, she
noticed the combat boomers scouring the area, looking for anyone left.

"I'm sorry...all of you," she whispered, gunning the engines, trying
to dull the pain by outracing the night.

End Part 1

Here we go...

Nightelf (nwl...@tam2000.tamu.edu) presents...

The Circe Project

Part 2

Ranma 1/2 characters created by Rumiko Takahashi
Bubblegum Crisis characters created by Kenichi Sonoda
Nodoka Hibiki created by me, with large influences from the Ranma 1/2
characters.

As always, don't do anything stupid with this fanfic without the author's
permission...If you want to, ask. I'm not unreasonable.

The dark form of the Knightwing cruised slowly toward MegaTokyo, its
silent running keeping it from the watchful eyes of radar towers. Its lone
occupant, a young, raven-haired woman, sat in fromt of a computer screen,
her crying eyes trying to find some sense of the tragedy in the mission's
data logs, occasionally mumbling to herself as she absorbed bits and
pieces of information.

"Okay...let's see...here's the readings from Nene's suit...no
problems...here's where...what the..." She stopped as the readings suggested
the impossible. Disbelieving, she replayed them in slow-motion.

Somehow, in an instant, Nene...disappeared. One second, it was reading
her blood pressure and neural readings, the next there was...nothing.

"Hmmm...Nene and Priss showed the same malfunction...I wonder..."
Priss' information was nearly identical. There one second, gone the next.

A determined sigh escaped from her lips. "Okay. So the same thing
happened to Nene and Priss. But what about..." She pulled up Mackie's
readings. "Here's where he gets caught...here's where...ohmygod..." Sylia
was dumbstruck. In an instant, Mackie's heartrate and neural readings...
changed. It was as though another person had put on the suit. Sensing the
interloper, the suit anesthetized the unwanted occupant and flew back to the
Knightwing.

Her metallic fingers raced across the keyboard to pull up Linna's
readings. She, like Mackie, changed, but something else happened...
Somehow, the systems were being destroyed...crushed from the inside...as
though the occupant of the suit was too large? Only one thing could do
that...She pulled up the lifeform readings in the security hold.

A smile creeped across her tear-streaked face as the monitor confirmed
her suspicions. Three heat sources, one in each of the hardsuits. The
ones in Nene's and Priss' suits were small and squirmed around in the body
space. The one in Mackie's was human, but smaller than his size.

After commanding the computer to take water samples on each of the
hardsuits and establish a medical quarantine, Sylia clasped her hands
together tightly, hopeful, praying beyond all reason that she was right.

Mackie woke up...in the security hold of the Lady's 633 HQ. A small
groan escaped as a hand rose to wipe the drowsiness from tired eyes. It
took a few seconds for the circumstances of the situation to sink in.

She sat up, slowly, every movement a little piece of agony from several
days of lethargy. She stopped for a moment, eyes blurred, but fixed as she
looked down at her body, her fogged mind trying to figure out what the
internal warning bells were for. The eyes widened as she realized...Hands
reached around, groping through the fabric, hoping beyond hope that somehow
touch would contradict sight. Screams were frozen in her throat as she
staggered over to a mirror on the wall, her eyes hesitantly shifting from
one view to another. A younger version of Sylia stared out from the
looking-glass: Short black hair, smooth, noble face, well-endowed body...

"Ahhh. You're awake."

A monitor screen in the corner flickered on in the corner. Mackie
turned to look at her sister, then back down at herself, a sinking feeling
of dread spreading throughout her body. Words tried to find their way to
her throat. "Sis...what...how..." she stammered, surprised at the voice's
pitch.

"Mackie...it's...it's a long story. Unfortunately, I have to identify
you first."

"Huh?"

"What did I do to get revenge on you after you were caught using the
security cameras to peek in on us as we were changing?"

Mackie didn't know whether to laugh or cry. This was too ironic...
"You installed a camera in my room, invited the others over, and made
comments over the intercom as I changed."

Sylia smiled. "Okay. Sorry." The door to the cell opened, leading
to the living room. Mackie walked out, hesitantly, as though learning to
walk for the first time. She gasped as she surveyed the living room.

Sylia Stingray had seen better days. So had the room. Her hair,
normally combed neatly and styled, was completely disheveled. Her face,
with sagging eyes and wrinkles, suggested several sleepless nights. She
wore a flimsy lavender nightgown, of the type that, under normal conditions,
would give Mackie nosebleeds. Around her were reams of computer printouts,
on subjects ranging from chemistry to genetics to magic. Garbage, primarily
drink containers, littered the normally immaculate floor around her. In
her lap was a toy poodle, white with strange pink accents on the head, feet,
and tail. It eyed Mackie suspiciously as Sylia stroked it gently. She
invited her to take a seat.

Mackie sat down, a storm of confusion in her eyes. "The last thing I
remember, I was at the Genom lab...(unable to contain her anxiety) What the
hell happened to me? I'm...I'm a girl!"

Sylia raised her hand, in an effort to calm her down. "Take it easy,
Mackie..."

Mackie blew up. "TAKE IT EASY?!? I go through an overnight sex
change, and you tell me to take it easy?!?"

Sylia looked down, unable to meet her fiery gaze. "When we got to the
springs, a trap sprang up. You were caught by one of the tendrils and
dunked into a spring."

"So? How does that explain this?" she yelled, gesturing expansively.

Sylia looked ready to cry. "I...I messed up. I didn't research the
area enough. I recently looked up an old Chinese legend, of a 'Training
Ground of Accursed Springs'. According to the legend, falling in a spring
curses the victim with the body of whatever drowned there. The place's
name...was Jusenkyo."

"There are chains of DNA in each spring, floating around...When you
are soaked with water from one of the springs, the chains enter your
body and attach themselves to your own DNA. In other words...when you fell
in...you gained the DNA of a woman. There...there are a few other things,
but I haven't figured them out yet...It could be black magic, for all I
know."

"Somehow, when the DNA affected you, your body changed to match the
DNA. When the suit sensed a strange person inside, it anesthetized you,
then headed for the Knightwing. You've been out for the past few days."

Mackie looked down, startled, as a black cat suddenly leapt into her
lap, purring softly. She picked up the cat, snuggled her, then instantly
pulled her away. The cat stared back at her with an almost human
curiosity. "Sorry...I'm not used to these," she stammered, gesturing
downward. She then gently brought the cat in closer to her chest.

"By the way, sis, what's with the pets?"

Mackie saw something not seen since Father's death: Sylia's broken
heart. Tears welled in her eyes as the pets began to whine mournfully.
She bit her lip, trying to find the right words to say.

"It's...it's time I introduced them to you. Mackie...this is Nene.
The alley cat in your hands is Priss."

Mackie fainted.

Personal Log April 12, 2034

It is with a heavy heart that I write this entry, as it is the last
that I write as a member of the Knight Sabers. With this message, I
officially disband the group - for all time.

Twelve years ago, Father enlisted me in a war to stop Genom's continued
rise and abuse of power. Three days ago, that war ended...badly. We
accepted a job to break into a Genom bioengineering laboratory, with the
intention of stealing the information from its computers. The job, as
it turned out, was a trap...and we fell right into it. I escaped unharmed.
The others...changed. Somehow, the place transformed them into something
(or someone) else. As yet, I do not know how to reverse the process - and
fear I never will. Their situations are as follows:

Priss - Priss was changed into a black cat by the springs there. Her days
of dazzling the Hot Legs Club are now replaced by days of lounging around
the apartment, staring mournfully outside, perhaps thinking of the days when
she danced across the skies...

Nene - Nene has the form of a toy poodle now. Her days of electronics and
computer wizardry are done. Still, she seems to be taking it better than
Priss - she seems as energetic and cheerful as ever, though that may be
just to cheer me up.

Mackie - Mackie will never have a girlfriend, never become a father, never
become the man that Father and I always knew he'd become. You see, Mackie
fell into the Spring of Drowned Girl. My younger brother has become my
younger sister. And, I fear, she will never forgive me for it.

She woke up this morning, for the first time since the incident. The
look on her face...the fear, the anger, the frustration...the betrayal...
I will carry with me to my dying day. It was a stranger who stared back at
me...a woman I'd never met...with only the slightest hints of the young
man she once was. When Mackie changed...something...died...inside of
him/her...something that can never be replaced: her innocence.

Linna - Linna was the lucky one. She is missing, presumed dead. Her
change damaged her hardsuit, causing it to malfunction in midflight. If
the fall didn't kill her, the boomers did. Wherever you are, Linna
Yamazaki, I pray you are at peace...for I can never be.

***** END FILE *****

Sylia laid her head down on the desk, unable to hold her tears any
longer. She'd fought so hard...for so long...used every bit of her
life-blood to thwart Genom's plans...and lost. Lost everything.

"Rowr?"

"Priss..." The cat stared at her from atop her desk, her yellow eyes
staring at Sylia with concern. A weak smile spread across Sylia's face
as she picked Priss up, placing her on her lap. She stroked the cat
gently as she stared out into the rainy night, finding comfort in her
friend's company. Tears continued to pour down her face, though, as
she looked at the shadows in the darkness.

"What am I going to do, Priss...the Sabers are gone...Mackie's a
girl...You and Nene...I can't fight anymore. Not after this..." Sylia
whispered hoarsely to her friend, purring softly on her lap. "I don't
know anymore...I just don't know..."

"SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Sylia snapped to attention at the voice: A young tenor, not yet fully
mature...Mackie?!? It couldn't be...

The door to Sylia's room burst open, revealing Mackie for all to see.
He was wet, naked...and definitely masculine. Sylia smiled for a moment,
laid an equally ecstatic Priss on the desk and threw him a blanket.

"So...how..."

"I..I don't know", Mackie blurted, wrapping the blanket around himself.
"I was in the shower...I felt...something...I looked down...and..."

She walked over and hugged her brother, tears of anguish replaced by
joy. "It's...it's good to have you back, Mackie." Releasing her hold,
she led him out of the room and back to the bathroom. They stopped just
before entering as they saw...

Nene knelt on the floor of the shower, holding herself as the hot water
caressed her human form. All of the bottled-up frustration of the past few
days was being released uncontrollably, her body shivering in spasms, her
face contorted with every imaginable emotion known to man. Not wishing to
disturb her, Mackie quietly reached in and grabbed a towel, then began to
dry himself off. Finishing, he turned to Sylia, a sober expression on his
face.

"Sis...I know right now you want to check me over medically...to make
sure I'm all right...but could you let it wait a few hours? There's
something I need to do first."

Sylia raised an eyebrow. "And that is?"

A mischievous glint caught Mackie's eye, a remnant of the Mackie Sylia
knew. "Go out, find a nice hooker, and lose my virginity while I still
can."

"Uh...Mackie...are you sure you want to do that?"

"Do you blame me?"

Sylia smiled gently. "Just...be careful, okay? And if you start to
feel a little...strange, head back immediately. Got it?"

"I got it. And Sis...thanks."

Sylia turned around and headed back to her room. Making a cup of
coffee, she sat in front of her computer and began to type.

Personal Log (supplemental) April 12, 2034

Perhaps...perhaps there is hope after all. Mackie and Nene have
both changed back to their natural forms, and I am confident that Priss
will shortly. Still, I'm not convinced that this is over...if the springs
could be cured that easily, why even mention them? I'm certain that the
return to normal is only temporary. After all, the DNA should still be
bonded to them...the transformation may be triggered by something else,
or may happen slowly over time. There's no way to tell...until it happens.
At least there's hope. With Priss and Nene back, the Knight Sabers, given
time, can be back in business.

***** END FILE *****

Sipping her coffee, she turned around and stared into the night,
dreaming of a time when the Knight Sabers would fly once more. She just
shook her head and sighed as a high-pitched scream came from the rain
outside.

Mackie sat cross-legged on his bed, piles of disks, pictures, tapes,
and magazines strewn about. The look on his face was one of...horror...
as he glanced from picture to picture. "What's happening to me...I...
I don't want these anymore...Am I...(his face twists further) Am I becoming
a girl...in mind...as well as in body?"

"No. You're just viewing things from a different point of view."
Sylia entered the room and leaned against the wall, a gentle smile adorning
her face. She held a glass of water in her hand.

"Huh?"

"Mackie...I need to talk to you...*SPLASH*...woman-to-woman."

"What about?" Mackie asked, annoyed at the change.

Sylia sighed. This wasn't going to be easy..."Would you be willing to
train in your cursed form and fight as a member of the Knight Sabers?"

Mackie's eyes grew wide at this. "Me...a Knight Saber? You mean..."

Sylia's face darkened for a moment. "Because of Linna's...death, it'll
be months before the Knight Sabers will be able to go back out. I plan on
using the time to build new suits...train you...and Linna's replacement."

"You've selected a replacement for Linna?"

Sylia nodded. "Come with me."

It was a side of MegaTokyo that had seen better days...then again,
most of MegaTokyo had seen better days. Offices and shops dotted the
streets, selling everything from food to antiques to boomer parts. Mackie
watched all this from the passenger side of the Benz, store flashing against
store and person flashing against person until it all became one panoramic
blur. She was seriously uncomfortable...she hadn't really been out since...

"Sis, why do I have to go out like this? I mean...I don't really feel
comfortable going out in public as a girl..."

"Then you'd better get comfortable - fast. Any inhibitions you may
have about your girl-body will have to disappear once you put on the
armor."

"But...the dress?" She gestured to the business attire she was wearing.

"As I said, you'd better get used to it quickly. Besides, we need
to make a good impression on our prospective Knight Saber."

Mackie wrinkled her nose. "What's so special about her, anyway?"

Sylia sighed. "She's heir to one of the finest martial-arts schools
in Japan. The dojo that had been in her family for generations was torn
down by Genom two years ago. Also...I have reason to believe she knows
about Jusenkyo."

This got Mackie's attention. "What?!? How?"

"Her grandfather...apparantly was cursed...judging by records and
photos."

"In what way?"

A wicked smile spread across Sylia's face. "Let's just say you have
someone to talk to."

The boy/girl's eyes lit up. "He's still alive?"

Sylia nodded. "Yes, and runs the dojo with his granddaughter."

The car came to a stop in front of a fairly large office building.
On the front was written the words, in both old-style kanji and modern
English:

Hibiki School of Anything-Goes Martial Arts

The two got out of the car. Mackie adjusted her outfit slightly, then
followed Sylia inside, her high-heeled steps wobbly and uncertain.

A most unusual sight awaited them inside. Two combatants flew all
over the dojo, their moves a blur of attacks, counters, and blocks.
Noticing the visitors, the pair flew into place, then stepped forward.

The younger of the two was a woman, about 18 years of age, with
haunting sky-blue eyes, smooth, expressive face, and jet-black hair tied
back into a pigtail. She stood barely five feet in height, her karate gi
a few sizes too large for her small, though muscular frame. The other one
was an older man, in his fifties, with graying hair tied back into a
pigtail and unusual Chinese clothing over his still-muscular frame. The
girl warmly approached the two, extending her hand in greeting, as the
old man shifted uncomfortably.

"Hi. I'm Nodoka Hibiki. Are you the ones who contacted me about a
job?"

Sylia accepted the hand with her usual diplomatic grace. "Yes. My
name is Sylia Stingray, and this is...Mackie."

"Mackie? Isn't that a boy's name?" the old man whispered, almost to
himself.

"Uh...It's a long story." Mackie didn't quite know how to explain
herself.

"Oh. I'm sorry. Forgive my manners. This is my grandfather, Ranma
Saotome. He helps me run the dojo. Come on back, I'll make you some tea."

Ranma rolled his eyes. "Uhhh....Nodoka-chan? Do you think that's
wise?"

Sylia and Mackie covered their eyes as they saw the frightening power
of an unfocused battle aura. "Are you saying I can't even MAKE TEA?!?"

Ranma, unconcerned by his granddaughter's anger, whispered softly,
"Nodoka-chan...there are many things you do well...but cooking isn't one
of them."

"GRANDFATHER NO BAKA!!!" Pulling a mallet out of nowhere, she hammered
Ranma into the wall, creating a sizable dent in it. Remembering her
visitors, she turned beet red and tried to hide the mallet behind her. Eyes
wide in amazement, the two approached Ranma's broken form, full of concern.

"Sir...are you okay?"

The old man smiled weakly. "You know, Nodoka-chan...you remind me a
lot of your grandmother..." Once he fell unconscious, Nodoka pried her
grandfather off the wall, hefted him over her shoulder, and walked to the
living area, setting him down in a chair. The Stingrays meekly followed,
sitting down quietly. Nodoka filled up a pot with water, filled a tea
strainer with some substance that vaguely resembled tea, and put it on the
stove. She then sat down, a curious look on her face.

"So...what's this job you want me to do?" She smiled as Ranma woke
up from his forced slumber.

"The job is twofold. First of all, I would like you and your
grandfather to give private training to Mackie."

She looked over Mackie suspiciously. "How much training have you had?
Not much, by the look of it."

Mackie shrugged. "True enough."

Sylia coughed, then continued. "Before we talk about the second, I
have a few questions to ask you. First of all, sir, have you ever been to
China?"

The old man looked surprised by this, then answered, "Sure...a couple
of times when I was younger and in training."

A predator's smile spread across Sylia's face. "Did you ever come
across a training ground called Jusenkyo?"

Both of them looked like they'd been slapped in the face. Nodoka
jumped up, a blue corona of battle aura emanating from her body. "Listen,
if you intend to blackmail us..."

Sylia raised her hand calmly. "No...It's just...so have we."

Needless to say, this was not a response that they'd been expecting.
Nodoka's jaw hung down to the floor in shock. Ranma, at least, was taking
it well. "So...Mackie is..."

"A man, yes."

Ranma got up, walked over to the sink, and stuck his head under the
tap. The others watched as his features shifted...She then grabbed Mackie
by the hand and led her out into the dojo. "Come on, kid. We need to talk."

Nodoka turned to Sylia after they left. "Is she really..."

Sylia laughed. "Uh-huh. Believe it or not, he's my younger brother."

"How did it happen?"

Sylia locked eyes with her, her face suddenly sober. "That's the other
job I wanted to offer you...tell me...have you ever heard of the Knight
Sabers?"

Mackie silently stared down at her feet as Ranma led her into the
dojo, her tongue held by the multitude of questions in her mind. Before
her was someone...like her...a man, cursed into half-womanhood...who had
apparantly lived with it for years. Someone who knew all the pain, hardship,
and problems she was going through, and had apparantly lived a normal life
despite it. What do you ask someone like that...

"So..how long have you been cursed?" Ranma stared at her, a wry
smile on her face.

"Uh...about a week. How about you?" Mackie asked sheepishly.

"Well...I was about your age when it happened, if that gives you any
idea. Sorry if I'm being a little forward, but it isn't everyday you
meet...someone like yourself."

Mackie nodded. "I know. This may seem a little personal, but...what
was life like for you after the change? I mean...was it easy for you to go
on dates and have relationships...even with _her_ around?"

It started with a small burst of laughter, a bit that Ranma could no
longer contain. In seconds, she was doubled over, her laughing
uncontrollable. Needless to say, this did not ease any of Mackie's
tensions. Seeing the horrified look on her face, Ranma staggered over to
her, put her hand on Mackie's shoulder, and tried to catch enough breath
to explain.

"Four...four fiancees...at once..." she blurted out, trying to ease her
companion's worry.

This helped...a bit. "All female, I hope?"

Ranma straightened up, in mock indignation. "Of course. Let's see...
there was Akane, Nodoka's grandmother...a childhood friend named Ukyou...
this Chinese Amazon named Shampoo, of all things...and a psycho gymnast
named Kodachi."

"How did that happen?"

Ranma shook her head. "Loooong story. Give me enough sake sometime,
and I'll tell you. So...how'd it happen?"

Mackie looked nervous. "Well...I don't know if I can tell you yet...
If Sylia lets me, I'll tell you later. How'd you end up cursed?"

A nostalgic sigh escaped from Ranma's lips. "Pop was...Pop was an
idiot at times. He dragged me all over Japan and China to teach me martial
arts. One day, we came to Jusenkyo to train, and..." She gestured
expansively down at herself.

A long moment passed as Mackie looked down at the floor. There was a
question she'd been wanting to ask, but...

"What am I? I mean..." she blurted out, instantly regretting she'd
said it, covering her mouth in embarassment.

A look of sympathetic understanding appeared on Ranma's face. "Ahhh.
You're worried that being a woman will make you less of a man."

Ranma locked eyes with Mackie, making sure she had her undivided
attention. "Listen to me, Mackie. I've been where you are now. Manhood
isn't in the flesh. It's in the soul. Believe in yourself, and you'll
be fine." She looked down at Mackie's less-than-manly attire and shook
her head. "Just...don't make it a habit of dressing up like that, okay?"

She looked back up at Mackie. "Why did you wear that, anyway?"

Mackie groaned, shifting uncomfortably. "Sylia wanted me to get used
to it."

"Trust me. If your life ends up half as strange as mine, you'll get
used to it. As for girlfriends...be patient. There's someone out there
even for people like us."

Mackie shook her head, doubting her words. "I dunno...this is all too
strange for _me_ to take in. How can I expect someone else to?"

Laughter escaped from Ranma's lips - laughter tinged with sadness.
"You'd be surprised. There will be difficulties, but nothing that can't be
worked out. Akane and I...we had a lot of fights in the early years...
but...we looked out for each other. Eventually, we got past the stubbornness
and admitted how we felt."

"Gee, Grandfather, do you think it had anything to do with the fact
that you thought she was dead for awhile?" Nodoka entered the dojo,
followed by Sylia.

"Hey, now...we would have admitted it eventually..."

Nodoka walked over to Mackie, looking her up and down. "So...you're
supposed to be a guy? I'm envious."

Mackie blushed. "Please. It's hard enough without the comments."

Nodoka turned around to face her grandfather, an excited look on her
face. "Grandfather, I've accepted a most...unique...job offer, on behalf
of the dojo. Part of it will be training...er, him. The other part...
the other part the four of us will be discussing over dinner tonight. Uh...
do you mind if Mackie borrows some of your clothes? I think he should
change before we go out."

"Rain sucks," Mackie thought as the Benz roared through the wet
streets of MegaTokyo. "To have the evening end like that...oh well.
She's going to be working with my girl-body anyway...it's just...I wish
I could have said goodbye as a guy." She looked out her window into the
night...occasional shadows racing past...lights...Mackie started to lose
herself in the blur of the city.

*beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep*

Sylia pushed a button on the car's computer, punching up a most
disturbing sight.

***** SECURITY ALERT 001 *****

On the screen, Genom agents and boomers stood in the lobby of the Silky
Doll, trying to get through the armor and ceramic of the back door. The door
would hold for awhile, but not forever...

Sylia looked sad for a moment. She had invested a lot of time in that
shop..."Computer, activate computer core 002 at Raven's Garage and transfer
all temporary memory currently at computer 001 there. Initiate Security
Protocol 009 to destroy the suits. Upon completion, initiate Security
Protocol 001. Authorization code: Sigma Upsilon Lambda Iota Alpha 633."

***** COMMAND ACCEPTED *****
***** COMMAND ACCEPTED *****
***** COMMAND ACCEPTED *****
***** COMMAND ACCEPTED *****

"I hope you don't mind losing your collection, Mackie," Sylia whispered,
changing course toward Raven's Garage.

At the dojo...

"So...what do you think of Mackie?" Ranma chimed, smiling at her
granddaughter.

"What do you mean, Grandfather?" Nodoka blushed, trying unsuccessfully
to look innocent.

"You know perfectly well what I mean, Nodoka-chan. I saw the way you
looked at him."

A goofy smile spread across Nodoka's face. "Well...he's so cute when
he's embarassed...he's so afraid of what the world thinks about his curse...
I dunno...He's..."

"Enough said, Nodoka-chan. Enough said."

Okay. This is the end of Part 2. Part 3 will have Priss' return to Hot
Legs, and a dinner date...as well as an Ukyou cameo. Part 4 will unveil
the new hardsuits, and some familiar bathroom produ...er, faces. Any
C&C is appreciated.

Thanks to Takahashi-sama and Sonoda-sama for their creativity.
Thanks to the ML gang for their help and comments
Thanks to Doug, my roommate, for the use of his computer

Nicholas W. Leifker
"Nightelf"
nwl...@tam2000.tamu.edu

Nightelf (nwl...@tam2000.tamu.edu) presents...

The Circe Project

Part 3

Bubblegum Crisis characters created by Kenichi Sonoda.
Ranma 1/2 characters created by Rumiko Takahashi.
Nodoka Hibiki created by me, with serious Ranma 1/2 influences.

"Konya wa Hurricane" lyrics by Tomoko Aran.

As always, don't do anything stupid with this fanfic without the author's
permission. If you want to, ask. I'm not unreasonable...usually.

enjoy...

Sunset approached over the mountains as the Knightwing cruised
slowly over the Chinese countryside, its light providing a beautiful
sight for Mackie to enjoy. As he looked over the area surrounding the
Jusenkyo laboratory, he'd had scant few sights to enjoy. All he'd seen
was scorched village after scorched village...better living through
Genom. He sat back and sighed, quietly wishing for Linna's return...dead
or alive. At least a body would provide some assurances...

*..beep......beep......beep..*

He reached for a button on the communications panel.

"Hello, Mackie..." Nene appeared on the comm screen, her smiling
face beaming through the cockpit.

"Hello, Nene." Mackie's voice sounded anything but cheerful.
"What's up?"

"Sylia wanted me to check up on you." She tilted her head to the
side and widened her eyes, hope spreading on her face for.... "Any
luck?"

Mackie shook his head slowly. "No signs of life anywhere. I still
have a few places to check out, but I don't have much hope in them. It's
all mountains.

Nene shrugged. "Well...think about this: If you were hiding from
Genom...where would you choose? An open plain...or rugged mountains?"

"Good point."

"Anyway, hurry back home. Priss is performing tonight."

Mackie's eyes lit up. "Really? Cool! I'll see you there." He
suddenly turned a bright shade of red. "Uh...do you know if Nodoka's
coming?"

"I don't know, but I'll be sure to ask her." Nene's smile turned
mischievous. "By the way...I left a little surprise for you beneath the
console. See ya!" She signed off before Mackie had a chance to respond.

"A surprise?" Mackie reached under the console, a perplexed look on
his face as he stared at the search's results: A thick paper envelope...
pink...scented with Nene's perfume? "Oh my...this couldn't be..."

He opened the envelope, staring at the contents inside: A letter,
and...something...wrapped in opaque white plastic. He read the letter
softly to himself:

Mackie -

I heard that you lost your little "collection" when the Silky Doll
went up, so I thought you might need some help in starting a new
collection. Enjoy!

Nene.

He cautiously ripped open the package. His eyes widened as he
flipped from picture to picture...

"Her" self, unconscious, being undressed by Sylia shortly after
the Jusenkyo raid.

Herself, undressing in the bathroom shortly before a certain hot
shower...

Herself, undressed and gingerly drying herself off after running
out into the rain.

Herself, carefully (some might say provocatively) putting on lace
undergarments shortly before going out to meet Nodoka.

"Nene..." Mackie groaned, tossing the pictures in question in a
trash bin. He sat back, his mind filling with images of revenge. A
cold shower and a visit to the veterinarian...or perhaps a delivery of
milk-bones to ADP headquarters...

Mackie was so absorbed by his thoughts of revenge that he didn't
notice the slightly damaged castle...or the warrior practicing, her
agile moves a graceful ballet against the mountains and sunset.

"One minute, Priss."

Priscilla S. Asagiri looked at the stranger in the mirror as the
stage manager made his call. It had been "only" two weeks...two weeks
of losing a friend...and losing herself. She clenched a fist as she
shifted her gaze to her attire, a standard come-out-and-rock outfit:
black leather bustier, miniskirt, gloves, and thigh-high boots. She
absently fingered the black lace cuff on her left arm...There was one
other noticeable difference about her concert attire: her blond wig was
gone. If she wanted a disguise, she'd take a cold shower.

She opened the door to the room and walked out onto the stage,
making sure to notice the presence of her friends before...A tear
formed in her eye as the crowd roared her return. God, she never
thought she'd live to feel this again...the adrenaline soared through
her, the rush more powerful, more addictive than any drug, firing her
to near oblivion, though it felt different...tempered. No longer was
it a mere explosion within her. It had an edge...a focus. Loss. Pain.
Death. Rebirth. She had run the circle and come back, the blade
forged anew...stronger and sharper than before.

Then the music started.

A familiar chord came from the guitarist, pricking something in the
base of her skull...she let the music flow through her, letting it become
a part of her. The music started meshing, melding with her until the
two were one and inseperable, each molding and shaping the other into
something more powerful than the two. She took a deep breath, opened her
mouth, and let magic happen.

"Arashi no Highway...hasiritsuzuketa...Togireta yume no yukue
sagashite..."

The crowd marveled at the change wrought in the dark angel on
stage. Priss' heart, always shrouded, always hidden, shone through now,
its fire and brilliance tempered by sorrow. No longer was she a simple
retrothrash singer, but a true performer...her words drifted out into the
crowd, its spell-weavings enrapturing all those within the sound of her
voice. She finished the session, thanked everyone, and walked back to
her dressing room.

Thirty minutes later, Leon knocked on her door. "Priss? Priss, are
you in there?"

The voice that answered was far from angelic. "Go away, Leon!"

This was not quite the response that he'd been expecting. She'd
given the performance of a lifetime...and she was crying? "I...I liked
the show. It...It was unbelievable."

"Th-Thanks, Leon."

"Do...Do you want to talk about it?"

"Take it easy on her, Leon." A hand rested gently on his shoulder.
He turned around to face Nene, her sober face indicating her sincerity.
"We lost a good friend...and we're still coping."

Leon raised an eyebrow. "Nene? You've known Priss all this
time...and you never told me?"

"Yes."

Priss exited from her dressing room, her eyes red and puffy. A
small, brave smile was fixed on her face.

"Priss...are you okay?" A wave of sadness went through Leon as he
saw the pain in her...

"Yes. It's just..." She rested her head on his chest, her head
turning to face Nene. "I'm so tired. The past two weeks...Linna's
death...our problems..."

"Still, you have to admit what happened to Mackie was funny..."
Nene was desperate to cheer her up.

It worked a little. "Poetic justice..." She raised her head,
locking eyes with Nene.

"Nene, I've decided...we're a family...it's time we admitted that.
Even more so, after Jusenkyo. We need to talk to Sylia about it. She
refuses to admit things have changed so much."

"Are you sure? You saw the look on her face when she thought..."

"Uh...excuse me, but what are you two talking about? Don't tell me
little Nene's a..." Leon didn't finish. He didn't have to.

"Oh my god...you know?" Nene couldn't contain her surprise.

"About Priss? Sure..."

Nene just rolled her eyes. "Oh man...Sylia's gonna kill us when she
finds out..."

"Let her. Things have changed. It's time we changed with them.
Come on, Leon. We need to talk." Priss grabbed Leon's hand and dragged
him out the back door...into the pouring rain.

"Priss?" Leon stared, dumbfounded, at the black cat digging her way
out of Priss' clothes as he absently rubbed the scratch on his hand. Nene
stood at the doorway, afraid to approach, looking at the rain as though it
were battery acid. He picked up the cat, then looked back at Nene,
disbelief written all over his face. His mouth twitched in the attempt to
form words. "How...why..."

Nene cast her eyes to the floor, unable to meet anyone's gaze.
"We...ran into a Genom bioexperiment." She raised her head, comforted by
his compassion for her friend. She smiled weakly. "Bring her inside.
I'll bring her back to herself."

"Priss...ohmygod..." Leon numbly stood, still cradling Priss in his
arms, and walked back inside.

Mackie sat in a corner booth of the restaurant, making an intense
study of his soda as he wondered at the changes in his...her...being.
Three months ago, he'd been your average computer geek, lost in his
virtual world of data units, mecha, and Gpegs. Then...then _it_
happened. Life forced change. She changed with it. It had had
some...unexpected side effects. His body was now muscular...developed...
because of her. He had developed a healthy respect for women...their
ideas and feelings...knowing those feelings all too well. He was now far
more of a man than he'd ever been...and far less.

"Yen for your thoughts, kiddo."

He looked up at the source of the voice. An older woman, about 60
physically, though still fit, with gray hair tied back in a bun, laughing
dark eyes, and a warm, friendly smile. A blue okonomiyaki cook's outfit
fit over her slender frame. "Mind if I sit?"

"Go ahead, Ucchan. I can use the company." He then went back to
his intense study of carbonation release.

Ukyou grabbed his hand, trying to get his attention. "So...you want
to tell me what's bugging you?"

Mackie bit his lip for a moment, trying to figure out how to get his
worries across..."What did you think when you found out about Ranma's
curse?"

"Huh?"

He sighed. "I mean...were you repulsed by it, fascinated by it,
indifferent...what?"

"Hmmm...I never really thought of it like that..." Ukyou sighed,
then stared at the scared young man before her. "When I first found out
about Ranma's...other half, I thought it was cool at first. Then...then,
after awhile, I saw how much it was hurting him." She chewed on her
thumbnail for a moment, lost in thought, then continued. "You've heard
about all of Ranma's fiancees, right? Personally, I think the reason
why it continued like it did was because the great Ranma Saotome was
afraid...afraid that Akane wouldn't accept him with his curse. He
loved Akane...but couldn't admit it...even to himself...until that
Mount Phoenix mess, when everyone thought she'd died. That...put
things into perspective for him."

"So...you weren't turned off by it?"

She laughed for a moment. "Turned off? Heck, no...geez, Mackie,
you're as bad as he was. And..." a secretive smile crept up on her
face, "...if you don't watch it, you'll make the same mistake he did."

"Huh?"

"Oh dear...more customers. Konatsu's gonna need help...I'll see
you later, Mackie." She winked once at him. "Oh, and Mackie...good
luck." She then leapt out of the booth and joined her husband
behind the grill, kissing Konatsu on the cheek as she returned.

"What's with her today?" Mackie thought, bewildered at Ukyou's
exit.

Then he saw...

Nodoka stood at the doorway of the restaurant, looking very
different from the martial arts instructor he knew. Her pigtail was
undone, allowing the jet-black hair to flow freely around her. She had
put on some makeup, accentuating her already exquisite features. A
stunning black evening dress flowed over her small frame. The overall
effect was (literally, for Mackie) breathtaking. His jaw dropped to the
floor, the only sound in his ears the thundering of his own heartbeat.
She walked over to him, flashed a warm smile, and said one word:
"Hello..."

"Uh...hello." Somehow, Mackie had found the ability to speak.

"So...mind if I join you?" Those blue eyes seemed to swallow him
whole...

"Um...sure. Take a seat." he stammered, unable to take his eyes off
of her. "So...what are you dressed up for?"

"Do you like it? I...I normally don't dress up like this." She
blushed slightly.

"YES! I mean...you look stunning."

"Thank you, Mackie." She reached across the table and kissed him
seductively on the cheek.

Mackie didn't remember anything after that.

The ruins of the Lady's 633 store had been cold for months now, its
fires long since dead, its charcoal gray exterior adding to the skeletal
gloom of MegaTokyo. It stood, untouched from its final position, as
nobody had bothered to claim the property or to repair the damages...
Like a small ghost-town it stood, a reminder that life is fleeting and
short...and often has its surprises. The rain added to the gloom
permeating the atmosphere, giving a solitary message to all who gazed
upon her: Death resided here.

Two figures stood in silence outside the building, their forms
hidden by cloaks blowing in the wind, taking in the the ruins of the
building without a whisper passed. The larger of the two turned to the
other and removed the hood from his cloak, revealing a long, rough face
contorted by sorrow. Tears formed in his sky-blue eyes, only to be
washed away by the rain. His soft baritone voice cracked as he spoke to
his companion, still shielded from the rain:

"Come on. Let's go."

End part 3

Nightelf (nwl...@tam2000.tamu.edu) presents...

The Circe Project

Part 4

Bubblegum Crisis characters created by Kenichi Sonoda
Ranma 1/2 characters created by Rumiko Takahashi
Nodoka Hibiki created by me, with serious Ranma 1/2 influences.

Don't do anything stupid with this fanfic without the author's
permission. If you want to, ask. I'm not unreasonable...usually.

Well, let's have some fun here...

Nene sipped her beer at the Hot Legs bar as Priss performed her act,
her mind absorbed by thoughts of her life since donning the pink and
purple armor of a Saber. In her travels, she had met the best of
humanity and its worst, gone through hell and back several times over,
lost everything, and gained it back. She had watched a boy change
magically into a woman, then just as magically into a _man_. She had
watched the last moments of a friend, cried as the tape showed her dance
through fire one final time, then fall to earth, broken. She had seen a
friend lose her humanity, be reduced to the level of an animal, only to
gain her humanity back, with interest. Another, who had lost her
humanity years ago with the death of her father, gained it back...with
the temporary loss of her family.

The family had expanded over the past few months, from four up to
seven. Sylia, as always, was the matriarch of the clan, the dark
guardian in blue and white. Ranma, Nodoka's grandfather, had slipped
into the patriarchal role, guiding and training the others for the return
into the night. Nodoka...Nodoka was the new fire dancer, her moves a
blur against the clumsy mass of MegaTokyo. Priss was the hammer, the
punisher in blue. Mackie...Mackie was duality, man and woman, fighter
and technician...Then there was her. Nene, the baby of the group, the
wicked witch of the computers and radio waves.

Tonight...tonight would be the return. Sylia would be revealing the
new suits tonight...waterproof, this time. She looked down at her hands,
a shudder coursing through her as she imagined paws...God, how could she
live like this? Watching for rain, being extremely careful with every
drink in her hand...Who could ever care for her like this? Priss had
Leon. Mackie and Nodoka were an item now. Who was there for her? She
started crying, sobbing at the wreckage of her life.

"What's wrong?"

She turned around to face the source of the voice. A young man,
clothed in black Mandarin-style clothing like Ranma tended to prefer,
stood before her, his sky-blue eyes showing a world of compassion. He
had a rough, weatherbeaten face framed by long, flowing black hair. He
was muscular, in a wiry sort of way. Nene dried her eyes and tried her
best to smile.

"It's...it's nothing."

He shook his head slowly. "Don't lie to me. People don't cry over
nothing." He sat down next to her, taking one of her shaking hands into
his. "Do...do you want to talk about it?"

"N-Not right now." She looked him over, then glanced at the dance
floor. "Do you want to dance?"

"I dunno....I can't dance very well..."

"Please?" She flashed the most pleading look she could think of at
him.

The stranger looked at the floor for a moment, then reluctantly
agreed. He stood, offered her his hand in a genteel manner, and
led her onto the dance floor. He wrapped his arms around her neck,
then quickly shifted them down to her waist.

"Thank God Priss is singing a ballad", Nene thought, trying to
absorb herself into him. She rested her head on his chest, taking
comfort in the feel of his warm skin...his soft heartbeat...The young man
looked extremely uncomfortable for a moment, then moved a shaking arm to
the top of Nene's head. The two melted into each other...

*beep..beep..beep..beep..beep*

"Damn. Not now...please not now..."

Nene raised her head and looked into his eyes. He was so
beautiful...his soft, baby-blue eyes would haunt her dreams for weeks...

"I'm sorry. I have to go."

His voice was shaking. "I...I know. Be careful out there."

"Huh? Uh...what's your name?"

The young man smiled gently, then turned to walk away. "Don't
worry, Nene. I know where to find you." He then disappeared in the
crowd.

Nene stared for a few seconds at the empty space where he had been,
then turned to walk away. The night was calling her, and it was time for
her to answer.

A few minutes later, the subject of Nene's dreams sat at a table,
numb, watching the dancers as they moved, overcome with shock from the
events that had just transpired. He mumbled to himself, his thoughts too
powerful to be contained in his head.

"She...she tried to hit on me...and...and...Ohgod, I can't deal with
this...I can't return like this..."

"What wrong?"

He looked over to find an old woman, in her mid-fifties, with
purple-streaked gray hair, predator's eyes, and a muscular build. She
stared at him curiously.

"I...I saw an old friend...Nene...and she...wanted me. I...I didn't
know what to do. Now she's gone...to do her duty..."

"Follow her."

"Huh?"

"You hear me. Follow her. I come."

"I dunno...They may not want me anymore."

She smiled at her pupil's lack of faith. "Trust me. You good
fighter now. They want."

Everyone had a little bit of anxiety inside of Raven's Garage.
Months of training, of research, of soul-searching...finally some results
were coming in. No more waiting, no more doubting, just fire and
metal...

The Knight Sabers were returning, to take back the night.

The family was there, all seven of them, their eyes occasionally
glancing over the modules like children eyeing the presents under a
Christmas tree. Sylia, clad in a slightly modified bodysuit (as the
other Sabers were), was looking over the suits, making last-minute
checks. Mackie and Nodoka were together, holding hands, comfortable
despite his being in girl-form. Priss and Leon were making small talk in
the corner, while Ranma just watched in contemplative silence.
Nene...Nene stood by herself, trying to hold the feeling of a warm
heartbeat...

A loud warning bell went off, snapping the group to attention.
They all crowded around Sylia, who stationed herself at one of the
monitors.

***** SECURITY ALERT 073 *****

The monitor then showed a strange sight: A young man was banging at
the doors while an older woman stood, watching. A commotion came from
the group as they looked at the unlikely pair.

"What's with them?"
"Gee, he's pissed..."
"Hey, it's him..."
"They know about us..."
"Shampoo?!?"

"One at a time, one at a time..." Sylia raised her hand for
silence. "Does anyone recognize any of them?"

Nene and Ranma raised their hands.

Nene sighed. "He's this guy I met at Hot Legs earlier tonight. He
was so..."

"Ranma?"

Ranma frowned thoughtfully. "Well...It has been over thirty
years...and I could be mistaken...but the woman looks like an old friend
of mine."

"Okay. You two go down there and talk to them. We'll wait."

"Open up! I know you're in there! Open up, dammit!" The young man
was getting hoarse as he banged his fists against the doors.

"You sure this is right place?"

He looked up at her, the fire in his eyes unmistakeable. "Of course
it-"

*CRASH*

He stared, wide-eyed, at what...had been...the door. It was just
gone, with small pieces of rubble lying here and there. "Been long time I
no do that," she said contentedly. They walked through the hole and out of
the cloud of debris.

"Shampoo?"

The old woman stiffened at the sound of her name. She stared,
disbelieving, at the man before her. "Ranma? That you, Ranma?"

"Waitasec..._this_ is the Ranma you've been telling me about?"

"I see you still know how to make an entrance. What are you doing
here?"

"I bring her home." She gestured to the man next to her.

Nene begged to differ. "Her?!? Trust me, this is a guy."

The young man smiled as he turned to Nene. "Pardon me, Nene, but
could you bring me some hot water?"

"Sure...what do..." Realization hit her. "...ohmygod...linna?"

"Mm-hmm."

"So...Ranma...why you here?"

Nene reached a shaking hand toward the comm panel. "Uh...Sylia...
you'd better get down here. Now."

The group sat around in an uncomfortable silence in the main room
above Raven's Garage, snatching glances at each other or looking down at
the floor in embarassment. Nobody knew what to say...Shampoo glanced
around, and noticed the obvious:

"So...where Akane?"

Ranma shook his head. "She's...she's gone." Shampoo looked ready
to ask further, but thought better of it when she saw the look in his
eyes..."Mousse?"

This time it was her turn to mourn. "Genom..." Ranma held up a hand,
indicating he didn't need to hear any more.

Nene shot a wary glance at a now-female Linna. "What happened to you?"

Linna sighed. "It's rather difficult to explain...I got dunked in
Nannichuan...my suit got messed up...I fell. Shampoo found me, then
started to train me. I am now her heir, whatever that means."

Ranma just rolled his eyes. "Oboy...Have you learned the Kashuu
Tenshin Amaguriken yet?"

Linna's face darkened. "Yes...that purple-haired witch kept me in
guy-form for three weeks...By the way, what happened while I was gone?
And who are these two?" she asked, gesturing to Mackie and Nodoka.

Sylia tried to repress her laughter. "Well...the one with the
pigtail's Nodoka Hibiki, Ranma's granddaughter. The other one...(giggle)
well...you remember how Mackie always liked to look at girls?"

Linna looked at Mackie, realizing. "Yes...ohmygod...(giggle) Mackie?"

"Hey, I wouldn't laugh too loud, Linna. Until you showed up, Nene
was having fantasies about you."

"Was not!"

"Okay, enough...Shall we open the hardsuits?"

Linna's eyes went wide at this. They had gone on without her...
"The...hardsuits?"

Sylia smiled. "Don't worry, Linna. I built one for you, just in
case."

Sylia went to a console, where she typed a few commands. The modules
opened with a hiss, revealing the suits inside. The first four were
easily recognizeable: Sylia's blue-and-white, Priss' blue with pink
pinstripes, Linna's lime-green suit, and Nene's red and pink outfit.
The last two were new designs. One was red, with black pinstripes. The
overall design was for agility, with slightly less armor thickness than
usual, but with far more flexibility and maneuverability. This was
designed for a fast, agile warrior...like Nodoka. The other was
matblack, with nonreflective paint. The overall body design was similar
to Sylia's, with the small wings in back, though it had additional radio
and computer equipment in it. This was for a good fighter who happened
to be a good computer and radio operator...like Mackie. The six women
quickly put the hardsuits on, eager to test them out and take them into
battle. Sylia turned to look at the group, a tear forming in her eye.
She'd waited a long time to say this...

"Knight Sabers...Sanjo!"

For those who've read this before, I've fixed a few of the glaring
mistakes, and that's about it. Leon is staying right where he is.
However, Nodoka is no longer Ranma's grandfather. (The ML will
understand.) Also, Nene's suit has been changed to the more modern red
and pink, rather than the pink and purple of the early parts of the
series.

As for Nodoka...I know she seems rather two-dimensional right now. In
the previous stories, I've been primarily concentrating on the old
Sabers, and how the curse has affected them. Nodoka will be developed
more in future chapters, as the new Sabers take on some new enemies...and
some old ones.

Thanks to Kenichi Sonoda and Rumiko Takahashi...for their amazing
imaginations.
Thanks to the folks on the ML and all those who have sent their comments.
Thanks to my roommate, Doug, for the use of his computer.

Take care, all.

Nicholas W. Leifker
"Nightelf"
nwl...@tam2000.tamu.edu